Roll Call
0 members (), 34 Murran Spies, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/11/24 09:37 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Eryk Davis Ester - 05/10/24 04:47 PM
Kill This Thread LII - The End of the Deck of Cards
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 04:29 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:58 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:56 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:55 AM
Legion Trivia 6
by thoth lad - 05/09/24 03:34 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 16 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 15 16
Re: Adventure Comics starring the Legion of Super-Heroes
#72003 02/04/09 01:10 AM
.. Offline
Wanderer
Wanderer
Ugg...i'll be waiting quite some time for it, I have my comics set to ship when my bill reachs $100 and considering the small number of titles I get these days, thats gonna take awhile.

Oh well, I guess I'll have to peek in here for some spoilers.

#72004 02/04/09 08:09 PM
C
Wanderer
Wanderer
C
OK....pleasantly surprised about what? A reprint of Adventure Comics # 247, plus a back-up story that has nothing whatsoever to do with the Legion? The Scarred Guardian of the Universe, Luthor, Brainiac, a panel of Kon-El?

The cover was a nice re-interpretation of Adventure # 247's cover, but, no offense intended, nothing to get excited about.

Chaim Mattis Keller
ckeller@nyc.rr.com
Legion-Reference-File Lad
#72005 02/04/09 09:01 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I think Francis means Kon-El.

I would have loved to see an fjm cover on this at least. And, sorry, but I was disappointed. I read SECRET SIX first with it's recap O&O and was salivating at the thought of a Manapul drawn Legion origin. Sadly it was just more World of Krypton promotion.

#72006 02/04/09 09:16 PM
F
fjm Offline
Substitute
Substitute
F
er...or apparently not. someone's gotta be happy about it... anyone? anyone? (crickets) oh well...

#72007 02/04/09 09:18 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
The art was great! I'm happy if it's a sign that you'll be working on one of the Superman books!

Maybe we'll get more Manapul Legion as guest stars?

#72008 02/04/09 09:22 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by fjm:
er...or apparently not. someone's gotta be happy about it... anyone? anyone? (crickets) oh well...
spill the bean! smile or I will go after you at the Wonder Con in SF if you go there. (Just kidding, I will ask you to draw me a picture of Emerald Empress, even you never drew her before.) smile

#72009 02/04/09 09:34 PM
C
Wanderer
Wanderer
C
Sorry to be so negative, Mr. Manapul. The art was certainly well-done, but it really had very little original Legion material, if not none at all.

Chaim Mattis Keller
ckeller@nyc.rr.com
Legion-Reference-File Lad
#72010 02/05/09 12:34 AM
Active
Active
Originally posted by fjm:
smile

If it makes you feel any better, the Titans fans are probably thrilled with this story.

The relationship between Legion fans and Kon is quite a bit more contemptuous...at best it could be described as lukewarm. True he was a member of the ZH Legion, but it wasn't really at a point that was considered the highpoint of that series.

Add to that that there is kind of a rivalry between the Legion and the Titans with the Legion winning the popularity battle in the first couple of decades of the teams' existence, and the Titans winning ever since(and getting the favorable treatment from DC)...and well, seeing our great artist on what was really more of a Titans story could be kind of salt in the wounds to some(but probably not many).

FWIW, I enjoyed the story(and the development), although I wasn't expecting that to be the surprise in the issue or what you were drawing. I was expecting something more Legion related like I imagine most of the Legion fans were, and I was looking forward to you doing a version of the other Legion and sort of spanning the eras in reverse. Truth be told, some of us were probably hoping you were going to be the artist for the Legion on the Adventure run. You'd have been the first artist to jump Legion boots.

It would've been a neat paradox...you just got done working on the newest version of the Legion with it's most Legendary old writer, and then you'd be doing what was more of an old version of the Legion with it's newest writer...

#72011 02/05/09 12:49 AM
Active
Active
well, if i put on my thinking hat, i see an old story about SUPERBOY AND THE LEGION....

and then... i see someone bringing superboy back to life.

come on guys, you don't have to be a precog here.

i'm totally excited for this!!! the art was amazing, and brainiac is totally scary.

as a freakish reader of old things with a really nerdy podcast and psychotic love of certain green scientists...

page 5, panel 3, originally those guys in the foreground were colored all in one single "blue" tone. now there's a green guy with blonde hair.

now, in the present, we have a brainiac on the loose! and a new villain!! i havea feeling these things will COLLIDE, this is going to be awesome!!

#72012 02/05/09 12:56 AM
Active
Active
Awful story and further proof that Legion is going to be at most a secondary team to Superman (Johns real desire).
This was definitely not a Legion story, but another lukewarm Johns job to not let go of his villains (Superboy-Prime, Mongul and now Brainiac). Talk about overusage.
I still want to know what a Legion story in Adventure Comics has to do with a fill-in Action Comics story. Except for Manapul's art (quite different here, but still very good - except he is not working on a good story, which should have been Legion 50), this was a very useless 8-page waste that could be better served as one of those "coming attactions" pages Johns is so fond of. Make it half page of that.
My guess? Last minute job to fill in for another DC Editorial screw-up - that is: pushing Adv Comics to June with a cover art that looks pretty much like Manapul's new style. And no trace pf a single Legion character, by the way. Which -oh! - contradicts Dan Didio's speech on how Adv Comics would feature the most "identifiable characters associated with that title". But then, his word means nothing these days: he said yesterday on Newsarama that DC is commited to releasing books on time, but they will not allow for substandard material. Ha!

RIP, Legion. It was good while it lasted. Meanwhile, let's have a toast for GLC of 3 Worlds. Oh, and I hate Kon-El. I don't like Superboy, as some of you know know, but Kon-El is even worse because he is a second-rate substitute to a concept that is completely dated.

#72013 02/05/09 05:33 AM
Deputy
Deputy
Originally posted by Chaim Mattis Keller:
Sorry to be so negative, Mr. Manapul. The art was certainly well-done, but it really had very little original Legion material, if not none at all.
Indeed, and it didn't do anything to make me want to pull Adventures Comics on my pull list. I think it's safe to say that most of us were expecting something more Legion and less Luthor.

It could still be the case,but if it was a tease of things to come with a potential Superboy return, it failed with me on a Legion level.

Ze Frainch Legion fan
#72014 02/05/09 08:10 AM
Active
Active
I haven't gotten this yet so I don't know what the back up is, except that Kon-El is back! Which makes me happy (so nyeah to all you nay-sayers).

However, I don't think he should be in the Legion. For one, there would be too much expectation that he should be like Clark-Superboy, instead of who he is. Secondly, Legion writers seem to hate him (I'm looking at you DnA, and Giffen). Probably because he ISN'T Clark and that is the Superboy they are most used to and therefore see Kon, not as his own character, but rather a pale and pathetic version of the "real" Superboy.

Also, not a big fan of John's take on Kon, he made him too emo and whiney. Kon was always a guy who would pick himself no matter how many times he got knocked down, he screwed up a lot, but his heart was always in the right place and he always tried to make up for his mistakes, but I didn't see that in Johns run and certainly not in his Legion appearance.

Besides, he doesn't belong with the original Legion, if he hangs with any legion, it should be the post-zero hour Legion, I really don't need him hanging with a bunch of adults.

But if we don't get any new Legion stuff I'll be bummed, I was looking forward to seeing THAT (as I have ADV 247 in various reprints) more than anything else. Even more than Kon's return because, again, I didn't really like how Johns wrote him.

Long Live the Legion!
#72015 02/05/09 10:52 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
After reading the epilogue at the end of this book I am trying very hard not to get too worked up about it. Very tantalizing possibilities there, but this could all just be one big red herring.
The thought of bringing Kon-el back from the dead seems, to me, to cheapen his heroic sacrifice with his too-early demise in Crisis.
It was sudden and jarring and made it that much more important.

Would it be total retribution to have Kon come back and kick Prime's ass? Well yeah, but it wouldn't be original and would be kind of a hollow anti-climax in my opinion.
I can however see them going in that direction since reading this short story (nice work from FJM by the way!), and after reading Lo3W #3, but I certainly hope they don't do this.

I will suspend finally criticism until I've read the finished product of coarse, heck it could be great if handled properly. At this point I do not see it as the best ending for Lo3W and then the begininning of the new Adventure comic in June...
We'll see.

#72016 02/05/09 10:59 AM
Active
Active
the blurb for Adv #1 in the back: I assume the artwork is the cover? that is Thom Kallor and a hand with a Legion ring on isn't it?

"Our devotion to each other was unexplainable"
"You were kids"
"No Batman, we were Legion"
#72017 02/05/09 11:43 AM
Deputy
Deputy
Yep, it is indeed Starman and a hand with a legion ring.

Plus a caped blob (Mon-el?) and a blackend blob (Kon-el?)

And there seems to be a character that could be a "resurrected" Black lantern.

The "bringing back Superboy" thing could only be for Blackest Night. After all, the Black Lanterns already feature Earth 2 Superman and Martian Manhunter, and Scar is linked to the Black lanterns.

Ze Frainch Legion fan
#72018 02/05/09 02:03 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
The story itself was a good one- we LSH readers were led to expect something a little more in the way of some idea of the future direction for the title *we* love...which *isn't* Superboy or Superman or JLA or Flash or Green Lantern. It's the Legion of Super-Heroes.

#72019 02/06/09 01:00 AM
Active
Active
Ths story is still awful BUT, if some things from L3W are any indication, there is a reason Kon-El appeared in this story which ties him to what Johns wants to do with the Legion.

#72020 02/06/09 07:50 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Re: Adventure Comics #0...

evil mad :rolleyes: confused frown

I'm going to submit my thoughts on this issue in quick point-form so that I can move on and forget I ever read it. Or wasted money on it.

Goods -

* The Cover
* Francis' art was OK. Nice, but not as nice as I was expecting after seeing some beautiful previews of his work on an upcoming Superman/Batman arc. Maybe it was the colors?
* Nice to see the origin story again for new readers, even if I'm not one of them.

Bads -

* The complete waste of any long-suffering Legion-fan's time that was that back-up tale! 5 pages of Luthor and Brainiac squabbling over left-over 'New Krypton' plot threads is not something I call "exciting".
* The "return" on the last page. Talk about a let-down!?! Geoff and Francis tease us that there's a big/pleasant surprise to be had this issue and it turns out to be Captain Obvious' maybe/kinda/sorta return-from-the-dead at a time when every other DCU character is coming back from the dead too anyway - from Barry and Bart to the whole damn Black Lantern Corps.
* The next-issue blurb that clearly shows that this is not going to be a Legion book but rather a Superman-Family book that the Legion might occasionally guest-star in. So after Lo3W is done we really are stuck with no on-going Legion book! frown

I've been trying to wave the DC flag for all my disillusioned brethren on this board but after this dud story even I'm beginning to crumble. Soon I'll be starting an "I Hate DC" thread in Gym'lls to go with my "I Heart DC" one! shocked

#72021 02/06/09 10:05 AM
Leader
Leader
We're must likely in for Adventure Comics featuring Superboy and the Legion, after an arc that brings bank Kon-El and then shunts him permenatly into the future.

#72022 02/06/09 01:32 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
I like Kon-El, but he's an ensemble character for me, and his interactions with Bart, Tim and Cassie are a huge part of what make him cool.

Superboy / man never seemed to have *friends* that he could laugh with. Kon-El seems much more 'human' and easier to identify with, and I'm a little concerned that flinging him into the 31st century, amidst a group of people who are already friends, will throw him out of his element. A good writer will be able to work with that, but a bad one will just have the team *say* that they're all friends, and never actually *show* that, leaving it feeling hollow.

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
#72023 02/06/09 02:53 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
good news......Geoff and Francios will continue to work on Legion in Adventure Comics!!! Here's the link -

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=19893

scroll down to the middle one -

There is some issue related to Mon-El too.

#72024 02/06/09 03:35 PM
M
Leader
Leader
M
Yeah, it also says that there's going to be a "lead" character in Adventure. I hope that doesn't mean that the Legion is going to be playing second fiddle to some version of Superman/Boy/whatever. Rrrrrr... I simply don't know how much more I can stand.

(Side note - I love how they've decided to take Superman out of his own books for a year. They've really given up on the old idea that every comic is someone's first comic, haven't they? I guess it isn't often true anymore, but it's still a good guiding principle.)

#72025 02/06/09 05:25 PM
Active
Active
Originally posted by matlock:
Yeah, it also says that there's going to be a "lead" character in Adventure. I hope that doesn't mean that the Legion is going to be playing second fiddle to some version of Superman/Boy/whatever.
From the interview
obviously Starman's there. If anyone's reading 'JSA,' he's taking a central lead in the book
Adventure Comics Starring Starman and the Legion of Super-Heroes?

"Our devotion to each other was unexplainable"
"You were kids"
"No Batman, we were Legion"
#72026 02/06/09 08:46 PM
Active
Active
Darn, I wish I would have clicked on this first as this thread already covered quite a bit of the Adventure info I posted in the NYCC thread.

The only thing I have to add is that I am almost certain that is not Mon-El on the cover of Adventure since he's going to be the lead in Action and Robinson has said he will be going into the zone during his arc in Action.

So since this is a Superman related title and assuming that any future stories of Mon-El will be Legion stories...

Let's guess the obvious candidates for who the caped figure might be...

1. Kal-L, he might be coming back in the Blackest Night. If he does, I seriously hope DC doesn't plan on leaving him some disciple of the undead...as Kal-L deserves better than that.

2. Superboy(Superman when he was a boy) - with it being blacked out because DC still doesn't know if they can do it. Keep in mind...Johns said the stories will take place in Superman's time, the Legion's time, and a third time if possible....there aren't many other third times there could be in a Superman centric title.

3. Superboy Prime...the obvious choice, especially when taking into account the dimensional wall shattering effect where that sillhouette is punching. You guys know what Prime's punches do.

#72027 02/06/09 09:17 PM
Deputy
Deputy
Hmmm... Francis drawing Geoff's stories in Adventure Comics!?!? That seems like...pretty good...news. Except, Dan DiDio is bound to say something that will harsh the mellow, like the 3rd time will be Legion: The Golden Years, where the Legion are Octagenarians living in a trailer park in Florida, and the stories focus on threats like the evil grocery store manager who is refusing to honor double coupons...

...but you don't have a moment where you're sitting there staring at a table full of twenty-five characters with little name signs that say, "Hi, my superpower is confusing you!"
Page 6 of 16 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 15 16

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,021
Posts1,045,250
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Neemers
Neemers
Oregon
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star