Roll Call
0 members (), 34 Murran Spies, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/11/24 09:37 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Eryk Davis Ester - 05/10/24 04:47 PM
Kill This Thread LII - The End of the Deck of Cards
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 04:29 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:58 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:56 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:55 AM
Legion Trivia 6
by thoth lad - 05/09/24 03:34 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 15 of 16 1 2 13 14 15 16
Re: Adventure Comics starring the Legion of Super-Heroes
#72228 08/11/09 04:05 PM
Wanderer
Online Confused
Wanderer
Originally posted by Kid Quislet:
If we start seeing the "Poo Brown" Lanterns, I'm done with comics.
The Fwoosh

#72229 08/11/09 04:12 PM
space mutineer & purveyor of quality sammitches
Speaking of Lanterns, there's somebody over on LJ who uses a "Blackest Night" icon every time he posts. All I can think of every time I see it is:

"Eat my cosmic-powered Sno-Cone-- OF <strike>DEATH!!</strike> <strike>RESURRECTION!!</strike> RESURRECTION & DEATH!!"

No, I don't drink during the day. Why do you ask?

Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on DeviantArt! Drop by and tell me that I sent you. *updated often!*
#72230 08/11/09 08:32 PM
Active
Active
Originally posted by Sarcasm Kid:
Can it get you to stop reading... THIS?

http://dcu.blog.dccomics.com/2009/08/11/just-in-time-legion-of-super-heroes-co-feature/
I was completely underwhelmed by those. Moreover, Johns is retconning again, since it is probably the first time since Infinite Crisis that Superboy is said to have been wearing his Superboy clothes in this chronology (was he Superboy in the 20th century again?). And what's up with LSH, that seems to have lost 20 years each? Are they teenagers again?
Artwork is very generic, not much better than that guy who did LSH #50. If that is what Legion will be in the next few months, 8 pages are more than enough for that.

#72231 08/11/09 10:14 PM
Active
Active
Originally posted by doublechinner:
What can brown do for you? Get you to stop reading comics!
You're venturing into Sears Catalog territory!

#72232 08/12/09 03:44 AM
Substitute
Substitute
What is wrong with Superman's face on those pictures, its like its smushed to the middle. I know its only 3 pages but I hope they let go of superman and tell Legion stories. I'm not a superman fan and grew up with superman-less legion comics. I endure him in back issues tongue

'You don't need a victory to prove to me you're tops' - Supergirl to Brainiac 5 (Adventure Comics 375)

benevolentbrainiac.webs.com
#72233 08/12/09 09:12 AM
Substitute
Substitute

http://dcu.blog.dccomics.com/2009/08/11/just-in-time-legion-of-super-heroes-co-feature/
The art is...okay. I've seen Henry produce better, for instance the fight between Vulcan & The Imperial Guard in Uncanny X-Men. The facial composition as a whole needs alittle work, especially Lightning Lad.

#72234 08/12/09 10:22 AM
Deputy
Deputy
I see that Clayton Henry's art is as dull as usual... sadly.

Ze Frainch Legion fan
#72235 08/12/09 10:25 AM
Deputy
Deputy
Fwoosh rawks! I would SO be selected for one of those rings. I can see it now: "DoubleChinner of Earth--you show superior sloth, passive aggressiveness, and ability to poo. You have been selected as Brown Lantern for Space Sector 2814." To the bathroom, away!

...but you don't have a moment where you're sitting there staring at a table full of twenty-five characters with little name signs that say, "Hi, my superpower is confusing you!"
#72236 08/12/09 10:36 AM
Deputy
Deputy
Things I love about the new Legion Splash Page:

1) Bikini Shadow Lass. It's the 1970s again, baby. Before Reagan harshed the mellow! Seriously, There's just NOTHING better than bikini Shadow Lass.

2) A less butch, but still obviously iron-butt Saturn Girl. Her face looks almost like a young Glenn Close, who I always thought would be good model for Imra.

3) Bouncing Boy! I should have listed this as number 1. After years of "he's too silly," Chuck Taine is a real Legionnaire again. Hallelujah!

4) Night Girl. Wonder if she and Cos are still an item?

5) Lightning Lad. It's taken a long time, but I've warmed to the new, more impulsive and sleevless Garth. At least he has a personality distinct from Imra and Rokk that doesn't require possession by Proty to explain it.

6) Brainy got a haircut. Who says there's no continuity of the important things?

7) Duplicate Damsel, in a skirt. Luornu crying in the Adventure Mordru story is one of the emotional touchstones of my youth, paired with reading Chuck's proposal and her joyful acceptance.

Things I don't like:

1) Feoreheads just too big. See Superman and Phantom Girl. Reminds me of "This Island Earth"

2) Lightning Lass. Sorry, I vastly prefer "Light Lass"

3) Timber Wolf. GRRRRRR! Give me a break.

4) Dawnstar. Dawnstar, more than anyone, should always fly gracefully. Here, she looks like me using a flight ring for the first time.

...but you don't have a moment where you're sitting there staring at a table full of twenty-five characters with little name signs that say, "Hi, my superpower is confusing you!"
#72237 08/12/09 11:29 AM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
The no-sleeves thing works for *one* character's costume revamp. Having Garth, Jo *and* Brin in sleeveless suits is overkill. It's like someone just discovered the wife-beater and thought, 'hey, let's have *everybody* wear one!'

That's hardly a problem with the new artist, just left-over kvetching about Johns stylistic changes.

As for the new guy, he does seem to make the faces look like celebs and stuff (I also noticed the Glenn Close Imra, and is it me, or is that Famke Jannsen playing Shady?). Although Garth looks less like a celebrity and more like Syndrome, from The Incredibles!

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
#72238 08/12/09 11:32 AM
Bare arms are the new <strike>black</strike> bare midriffs.

Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on DeviantArt! Drop by and tell me that I sent you. *updated often!*
#72239 08/12/09 11:38 AM
Deputy
Deputy
Syndrome! After all, I AM your biggest fan!

#72240 08/12/09 11:41 AM
Space Fatigue Survivor
Space Fatigue Survivor
Originally posted by Nightcrawler:
Originally posted by Kid Quislet:
[b]If we start seeing the "Poo Brown" Lanterns, I'm done with comics.
The Fwoosh [/b]
I'm crying myself to sleep tonight...

Celebrating 10+ years of Legion Worldness
#72241 08/12/09 11:42 AM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Ayla and Tinya have also gone with the sleeveless look, which works better on them (although I like Tinya in a fuller costume).

Dawnstar, inexplicably, is wearing long sleeves, along with her one-piece bikini with boob window... A dozen Athramites are flailing around blind, after seeing that outfit. Won't she think of the poor Athramites?

Meh. Brown Lanterns. I'm holding out to join the Octarine Lanterns, although I'm not proud, and will join the Indigo Lanterns, if that falls through.

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
#72242 08/12/09 11:53 AM
If that thing they crammed poor Dawny into is a "window," Tellus is a herring.

Feh.

#72243 08/12/09 12:40 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by doublechinner:
Things I love about the new Legion Splash Page:

1) Bikini Shadow Lass. It's the 1970s again, baby. Before Reagan harshed the mellow! Seriously, There's just NOTHING better than bikini Shadow Lass.

Hey!!!!!!!!

Oh well.

One man's treasure is another woman's trash.
tongue

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#72244 08/12/09 10:48 PM
Leader
Leader
Hypercritical much? I think Henry's artwork looks great. We've certainly had much worse artwork on Legion and should consider ourselves lucky that they gave us somebody this good, especially for a backup feature, which the Legion now is.

Do you not recall the utter crap "art" that graced LSH #50, the last regular Legion book? We could've been stuck with that artist!

I remember a lot of people on here hated Olivier Coipel's work at first and then later mourned his loss when he moved on. Give the new guy a chance. I predict he'll grow on you.

Buy my new graphic novel!
http://www.dodeka12.com
#72245 08/13/09 12:22 AM
Leader
Leader

Don't know if anyone noticed this, but above the description and pics it says on DC's site:
Just in time: LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES co-feature.

Just in Time? Justin Thyme?

Long Live all them Legions!
#72246 08/13/09 01:41 AM
Substitute
Substitute
Originally posted by jimgallagher:
Hypercritical much? I think Henry's artwork looks great. We've certainly had much worse artwork on Legion and should consider ourselves lucky that they gave us somebody this good, especially for a backup feature, which the Legion now is.

Do you not recall the utter crap "art" that graced LSH #50, the last regular Legion book? We could've been stuck with that artist!

I remember a lot of people on here hated Olivier Coipel's work at first and then later mourned his loss when he moved on. Give the new guy a chance. I predict he'll grow on you.
you'll get nowhere accepting the average. It could be worse, it could be leonardi but that doesn't mean Henry is immune to criticism because he's OK

'You don't need a victory to prove to me you're tops' - Supergirl to Brainiac 5 (Adventure Comics 375)

benevolentbrainiac.webs.com
#72247 08/13/09 01:47 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I don't know how one page with a few panels and a double page group shot, can be 'boring'.

I'll need a lot more than that to decide, since I don't have any history with this artist.

The costumes have been mostly inherited from Perez and others, recently, haven't they?

I think individual artists who work on a project for a lengthy time should be able to update costumes without any hassles or regulations.
Especially on the Legion who aren't so iconic, artists should be able to have a little fun.

I DO love that Henry's using 'models' for his Legionnaires.
I much prefer that approach.
I hope he expands his characters for a truly unique look for his Legion.

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#72248 08/13/09 08:14 AM
Leader
Leader
Originally posted by Para-Dox:
you'll get nowhere accepting the average. It could be worse, it could be leonardi but that doesn't mean Henry is immune to criticism because he's OK[/QB]
Where exactly are we trying to "get" by not accepting this artist? Do you really think anybody at DC cares about our complaints about artwork?

And the last 3 costume overhauls were not done by artists who'd been on the book for any length of time. Kitson redid them all when he started on the book. Then Manapul redid them all again when he started and Gary Frank(?) redid them all again in the Action Legion story. I'm not saying they should never be changed again, but the Legion's in a state of flux right now, with 3 Legions floating around, no title of their own, relegated to a backup feature that's going to rotate all 3 Legions, etc. Constantly changing their look isn't going to help them get re-established in the DCU, imho of course.

Buy my new graphic novel!
http://www.dodeka12.com
#72249 08/13/09 09:28 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Francis and Barry were certainly on the book as long as Cockrum (about a year and a half) was and probably Grell, too, who made most of his changes very early on.

I recognized everyone in Henry's work, anyway, even if I don't particularly like a lot of them.

A singin' and a dancin'
along the way.

JosephPrince.org
#72250 08/13/09 04:29 PM
Substitute
Substitute
I personally think that the art on the preview pages is better than what I have seen from a lot of past Legion artists. Yes, issue #50 couldn't have been worse.

#72251 08/13/09 04:43 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
What about #47?

#72252 08/13/09 05:10 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Candle:
I don't know how one page with a few panels and a double page group shot, can be 'boring'.
Because there were only 8 pages to work with and this artist with no history on the book is already doing the "iconic" shot? IMO, they'd have been wiser to wait until the artist had more time with the characters.

It was, compared to past efforts, a pretty bland groupshot IMO. Not very dynamic, just individuals placed? No sense of motion? I don't know if I can really characterize it. It just didn't work for me.

I think individual artists who work on a project for a [b]lengthy time
should be able to update costumes without any hassles or regulations.

...artists should be able to have a little fun.

[/b]
Yes! Yes! Yes!

I DO love that Henry's using 'models' for his Legionnaires.
I much prefer that approach.
No! No! No!

lol

Franks and this guy should get together and create a Frankenstein Legion. Big eyes, huge foreheads and hollow cheeks.

Page 15 of 16 1 2 13 14 15 16

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,021
Posts1,045,250
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Neemers
Neemers
Oregon
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star