Roll Call
0 members (), 55 Murran Spies, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Legion Tracker - 05/13/24 07:30 PM
Legion Trivia 6
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/13/24 07:23 PM
Kill This Thread LII - The End of the Deck of Cards
by Gaseous Lad - 05/13/24 04:44 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/11/24 09:37 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Eryk Davis Ester - 05/10/24 04:47 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:58 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:56 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 14 of 16 1 2 12 13 14 15 16
Re: Random DCnU Revue
#481913 09/13/12 07:11 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
From my admittedly not very well informed vantage point (since I haven't actually read a single DCnU issue - but I have been following the developments online) it seems to me like the DCnU is all about change for the sake of it.

I keep hearing about this or that change to a character's origin or back-story or relationship or costume or whatever and I think to myself "How is that in any way better than the way it was before?"

And more often than not, what was taken out of each charater's story was what made them interesting and unique in the first place, only to be replaced with something just because it proved popular for another character. How many other DC characters have to have now lost their parents tragically just like Batman and Superman did (for example)?

Plus - for a relaunch that was supposed to be all about moving forward, I've never seen so many 90s throwbacks in writers and artists and costumes and characters and plot points... and not even the good 90s!

Unfortunately, the anti- and pro-DCnU camps online seem to have split into pre- and post-Flashpoint camps, when the rot at DC had set in looong before Flashpoint.

What I'd really love is to see DC return to the way it was before Dan Didio took over (obviously not in continuity since that's impossible but in attitude and approach to its characters and stories).

I think the single worst thing that the DC Comics company ever did was to hire that man and believe that one can almost exactly trace the decline of the company's long-term health (since we know he's a master at the short-term spike) to his taking over.

#481914 09/13/12 07:20 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I've recently caught up on Justice League Dark.

I am surprisingly liking Jeff Lemire's take better than Peter Milligan's!

I don't think IMHO that Milligan's writing works in this universe, he has to play with kid's gloves and the dark and wonky weird supernatural just dosn't have enough punch ... left me a bit confused and feeling like he needed about 4 more issues to deal with each story arc to get the characters growth to point where the story would be great. I think a few parred down versions of these characters going through Milligan's story would make for a better mystery or horror story than a super hero book.

Jeff Lemire brings in more of a concise, superheros fight super villains story. Especially with the addition of the government and Black Orchid. JL Dark becomes more of an action drama than a horror mystery with pretensions of critical acclaim.

so, I will actually .... buy ... Justice League Dark ... that will keep the number of DC Comics I get to 2. (?) (World's Finest included and sadly Shade ended this month)

I would really appreciate the name being changed from Justice league Dark to just about anything else.

also, I'd like for Madame Xanadu to stop getting the short end of the stick in the plot and/or at least have us get to know what she is up to rather than just ... "oh she's tortured" "oh she made some hard choices ... everyone's going to hate her" blah blah blah stop milking the drama and tell a story! (I have missed a couple issues in my back issue catch up so I may be being unfair)

JL Dark also suffered IMO from the I Vampire tie in but now seems to have found its footing with more "super heros" on the team in pseudo magical and dark plot lines.

So Flash gets a big NO ... depsite awesome art and a Rogue's feature ... I just didn't give a crap enough even to read the conclusion of the story arc ... if they ever got there.

JL Dark will get a few more issues out of me at least. Really enjoying the supernatural superhero vibe of magic heros fight magic villains in punch outs.

#481915 09/13/12 07:28 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
ah one more thing regarding JL Dark:

Government + Magic = Nightshade? Pretty Please!

#481916 09/13/12 08:13 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Originally posted by Blacula:
From my admittedly not very well informed vantage point (since I haven't actually read a single DCnU issue - but I have been following the developments online) it seems to me like the DCnU is all about change for the sake of it.

I keep hearing about this or that change to a character's origin or back-story or relationship or costume or whatever and I think to myself "How is that in any way better than the way it was before?"

And more often than not, what was taken out of each charater's story was what made them interesting and unique in the first place, only to be replaced with something just because it proved popular for another character. How many other DC characters have to have now lost their parents tragically just like Batman and Superman did (for example)?

Plus - for a relaunch that was supposed to be all about moving forward, I've never seen so many 90s throwbacks in writers and artists and costumes and characters and plot points... and not even the good 90s!

Unfortunately, the anti- and pro-DCnU camps online seem to have split into pre- and post-Flashpoint camps, when the rot at DC had set in looong before Flashpoint.

What I'd really love is to see DC return to the way it was before Dan Didio took over (obviously not in continuity since that's impossible but in attitude and approach to its characters and stories).

I think the single worst thing that the DC Comics company ever did was to hire that man and believe that one can almost exactly trace the decline of the company's long-term health (since we know he's a master at the short-term spike) to his taking over.
nod

You ain't missing anything special by not collecting the DCnU.

#481917 09/19/12 03:53 PM
L
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
L
Originally posted by Lard Lad:
Yeah, DCnU has quickly lost pretty much all appeal to me. So much so that I've entertained the notion of dropping EVERY BIT of it a lot lately, so I can prospect into even more awesome indies! Even the ones I still like well enough(such as Batman, Swamp Thing, Animal Man, Flash, Catwoman etc.) just don't feel like MUST-READS, y'know? At no point have I EVER felt (at least since I was 11 and went X-Men crazy) like I could drop the entire DC line, but I've felt like that since the "new"-ness of the New 52 wore off a few months ago.

Part of this, I know, is that the superhero genre has slowly been losing its appeal for me over the last few years with stories of any real consequence having their effects undone after a short while. As you realize more and more that these characters are more of a brand now than they ever were before,it just seems pointless to read about them and drop a lot of dough on them. The real action is in the indies where the creators have full control of their properties and do whatever they want to with them and do ground breaking things outside of the spandex genre.

But also, with the DCnU, I miss my damn continuity and the universe I was attached to before! I can see now how hardcore pre-Crisis fans felt when all their toys were taken away. I was still a kid when that happened, and even then, I had some misgivings. But now, as an adult fan who experienced the universe as it was since I was 15 (albeit with serious flaws within it), I find that this reboot took away most of what I loved about that 26-year continuity only to tell mostly mediocre-at-best sories with that clean slate.

I'm about to trim my DC pull list again. I'll give a handful of titles a few more months. But the possibility of my dropping ALL DCnu titles completely is there and getting realer and realer every day.Even my beloved LSH (which I've collected faithfully since the mid '80 theu relaunch after relaunch) won't be spared much longer. (I already dropped Legion Lost months ago.)
Well, today I went ahead and deleted all DCnU books off my pull at the CBS with the sole exception of LSH, which I'm giving at least a temporary reprieve because of my love for the characters.

The hardest to cut were Batman, Swamp Thing and Animal Man. The latter two are just too long and draggy in their storylines. As for Batman, I figure I'll pick up a trade every once in a while...if I feel like it.

There's still a chance I might buy some off the shelves, particularly if there are some lean weeks here and there. But the goal is to get nothing but books that I'm really looking forward to from now on. The more moohlah I have left to sample potential creator-owned gems, the better. No sense wasting my time and money on corporate crap that feels stale and recycled.

I should also note that I picked up Sword of Sorcery today because I had a good feeling about it. Perhaps that'll make two DCnU books on my pull?

(Vertigo titles I get are unaffected, of course.)

I feel like women must feel when they burn their bras!!! lol Styx

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
#481918 09/19/12 04:19 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
I thought Sword of Sorcery was pretty solid. I can't say I'm completely in love with it or anything, but it's definitely quality stuff. It's a book that I'm really pleased exists, and definitely one I'd recommend to any comics-curious chick-friends.

#481919 09/19/12 04:28 PM
L
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
L
Reposted for new page (in case it was missed):

Yeah, DCnU has quickly lost pretty much all appeal to me. So much so that I've entertained the notion of dropping EVERY BIT of it a lot lately, so I can prospect into even more awesome indies! Even the ones I still like well enough(such as Batman, Swamp Thing, Animal Man, Flash, Catwoman etc.) just don't feel like MUST-READS, y'know? At no point have I EVER felt (at least since I was 11 and went X-Men crazy) like I could drop the entire DC line, but I've felt like that since the "new"-ness of the New 52 wore off a few months ago.

Part of this, I know, is that the superhero genre has slowly been losing its appeal for me over the last few years with stories of any real consequence having their effects undone after a short while. As you realize more and more that these characters are more of a brand now than they ever were before,it just seems pointless to read about them and drop a lot of dough on them. The real action is in the indies where the creators have full control of their properties and do whatever they want to with them and do ground breaking things outside of the spandex genre.

But also, with the DCnU, I miss my damn continuity and the universe I was attached to before! I can see now how hardcore pre-Crisis fans felt when all their toys were taken away. I was still a kid when that happened, and even then, I had some misgivings. But now, as an adult fan who experienced the universe as it was since I was 15 (albeit with serious flaws within it), I find that this reboot took away most of what I loved about that 26-year continuity only to tell mostly mediocre-at-best sories with that clean slate.

I'm about to trim my DC pull list again. I'll give a handful of titles a few more months. But the possibility of my dropping ALL DCnu titles completely is there and getting realer and realer every day.Even my beloved LSH (which I've collected faithfully since the mid '80 theu relaunch after relaunch) won't be spared much longer. (I already dropped Legion Lost months ago.)
Well, today I went ahead and deleted all DCnU books off my pull at the CBS with the sole exception of LSH, which I'm giving at least a temporary reprieve because of my love for the characters.

The hardest to cut were Batman, Swamp Thing and Animal Man. The latter two are just too long and draggy in their storylines. As for Batman, I figure I'll pick up a trade every once in a while...if I feel like it.

There's still a chance I might buy some off the shelves, particularly if there are some lean weeks here and there. But the goal is to get nothing but books that I'm really looking forward to from now on. The more moohlah I have left to sample potential creator-owned gems, the better. No sense wasting my time and money on corporate crap that feels stale and recycled.

I should also note that I picked up Sword of Sorcery today because I had a good feeling about it. Perhaps that'll make two DCnU books on my pull?

#481920 09/19/12 04:38 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!

Beauty's where you find it. Not just where you bump and grind it.
#481921 09/19/12 09:29 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Lardy, it's been two months since I emptied my pull list ('cept for LSH). I don't even look at the racks when I stop by the CBS to get the LSH books. I flipped through my past several months' books tonight to find a recent LSH issue, but wasn't even tempted to feel nostalgic. Looks like I'm done....

(I did pick up the Peter Panzerfaust trade last week which I ordered back when. Now that is a good one.)

"Everything about this is going to feel different." (Saturn Girl, Legion of Super-Heroes #1)
#481922 09/19/12 09:42 PM
L
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
L
Well, Trackey...in my case I'm just dumping DCnU, not comics in general. There's still a LOT for me to get excited about in comics, but I'm accepting that DC (and all but 4 Marvel titles for the moment) has been more of an obligation and a habit than anything else.

#481923 09/20/12 12:58 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Originally posted by Legion Tracker:
(I did pick up the Peter Panzerfaust trade last week which I ordered back when. Now that is a good one.)
Yes! Glad you liked it! I told ya it was awesome! smile

#481924 09/20/12 05:00 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I also ordered it but only got through the first few pages before setting it aside. I'll give it another chance when time frees.

#481925 09/23/12 03:40 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I'm proud of Lardy for cutting his ties to books that feel like obligations. You've concinved me to go ahead and dump SUPERMAN and SUICIDE SQUAD.

Of course, I am still enjoying AQUAMAN, STORMWATCH, EARTH 2, WORLDS' FINEST, FRANKENSTEIN AGENT OF SHADE, TEEN TITANS, JL, LLOST and LSH so I'm not out of the DCU by any means. Also, I am giving Marvel a fair shake to win me back to a few books with Marvel-NOW launches.

I'm amazed at how many Image books I'm getting these days too.

Anyhoo, back to Random DCnU reviews:

I really enjoyed HE-MAN & THE MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE! And since Giffen is coming onboard, I added it to my pull-list.

The LOOKER 1-shot was alright, nothing earth-shattering but I've been a longtime fan of Looker and enjoy her as a vampire smile

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#481926 11/25/12 03:30 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Wonder Woman #14
I've been curious about this for a while. I think the new universe of Wonder Woman is a good hook but, I think it would be far better served by Image comics.

The Wonder Woman bathing suit dosn't seem to fit inthis story. I'd say let Wonder Woman be a super hero in JLA and Diana the adventurer in her own book.

UNFORTUNATELY .... this issue was drawn by a fill in artist! With Cliff Chiang doing the cover! argh! I HATE that.

It's very hard to jump into this book, as the cast and story is about Zeus' multitude of characters and children.

Overall, it was ok. I liked the New Olympians.

The book has me curious, especially since the New Gods are being introduced into the new DCU.

I'll probably get the New Gods story arc.

SupermanX SupermanX SupermanX

#481927 11/25/12 04:18 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Batwoman #14

so good I tried to look for 13, that I missed, but couldn't find it.

The previous stories all culminate in a grand conspiracy plot. I was turned off at first when Wonder Woman showed up ... it's Batwoman's book ... but actually the interplay between them is well done.

I would give it 5 Superman Xs except ... I feel like ... it is not the most original plot and the plot is a bit convenient. The art and the dialogue are fantastic though. Can't wait for Bats and Wonder Woman to kick some butt against overwhelming odds!

SupermanX SupermanX SupermanX SupermanX

#481928 11/26/12 12:35 AM
J
Substitute
Substitute
J
Originally posted by Power Boy:
[b] Wonder Woman #14
I've been curious about this for a while. I think the new universe of Wonder Woman is a good hook but, I think it would be far better served by Image comics.

The Wonder Woman bathing suit dosn't seem to fit inthis story. I'd say let Wonder Woman be a super hero in JLA and Diana the adventurer in her own book.

UNFORTUNATELY .... this issue was drawn by a fill in artist! With Cliff Chiang doing the cover! argh! I HATE that.

It's very hard to jump into this book, as the cast and story is about Zeus' multitude of characters and children.

Overall, it was ok. I liked the New Olympians.

The book has me curious, especially since the New Gods are being introduced into the new DCU.

I'll probably get the New Gods story arc.

SupermanX SupermanX SupermanX [/b]
Funny you should say that, because Glory right now from Image's Extreme line (yes, I know) has some common similarities, but also diverges in different ways (key being that even though she is a warrior, Wonder Woman's heart and capacity for love never waivers, making her the sole rock of the story; whereas Glory is almost just as much of a destructive force than the enemies she's against). I'd definitely check it out, if not for the striking art by Ross Campbell.

[Linked Image]

And yeah, they've been doing the rotating artists thing with this other artist, Tony Atkins, for a while now. Chaing will do four issues or so, then Atkins will fill in for an issue or two. Chiang will do the next two issues, though.

#481929 12/11/12 05:00 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Gail Simone off Batgirl. *SIGH* With the attendant articles at the comic book sites, just more evidence that DC is shooting itself in the foot. It saddens me, because DC has some of my favourite characters, their books are becoming unreadable and I really haven't taken to any of the new characters they've introduced.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
#481930 12/11/12 10:31 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
CBR is doing a poll on bringing back certain DC characters:

Wally West

Donna Troy

Stephanie Brown

Ted Kord

Ralph and Sue Dibny

Aqualad

Majestic

Jackson King

Renee Montoya

Jacob Marlowe

My visceral reaction was "NO, NOOOOO, noooo :whimper: don't bring them back ... don't ruin them ... it won't be good if DC brings them back."

#481931 12/11/12 10:33 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally posted by Power Boy:
CBR is doing a poll on bringing back certain DC characters:

Ralph and Sue Dibny
Hasn't DC done ENOUGH to these characters???!?!??!?!

#481932 12/11/12 01:11 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Any character DC is not using is better off that way. nod

Sucks about Gail but not a surprise. I personally hope Batgirl becomes a sales failure because in my old age I'm becoming more and more jaded.

#481933 12/11/12 09:47 PM
Pov Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Don't Stop Peelieving
I loved Oracle. The ONLY thing that got me reading the New52 Batgirl was Gail. I went back to this month's DCBS order and removed it. sigh

"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me
#481934 12/12/12 01:33 AM
J
Substitute
Substitute
J
It sucks, but I think Gail did a really good job at recreating Barbara Gordon for a modern audience while still keeping to her spirit. Gail's Batgirl is, for me, the best take on the character that I've read in YEARS, and I think she established a good template on how to approach her in the future.

I've heard some good things about the guy doing the guest arc (maybe picking up as full-time writer?), Ray Fawkes, so I might give that first issue a fair shot.

Lard Lad #762541 01/27/13 03:27 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I am catching Wonder Woman during the New Gods story line for some ideas.

Art is good, there were a few roller coaster dips at the end that I enjoyed. Didn't seem that short for a DC book. Orion just looks like he rides a motorcycle.

I predict I will enjoy it for the New God's storyline, and I am, and Chiang's art is pretty but not enough to get me over the short stories and my growing distaste for DC.

I'd say it's one of the best DC books out there. After World's Finest and Batwoman (but Batwoman is irregular)

I almost give it four.

Last edited by Power Boy; 01/27/13 03:29 PM.
Lard Lad #762543 01/27/13 03:33 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Batwoman 16

Back to the old Williams and Blackman team! I am delighted. Beautiful spreads and words. Lots of action, a few story advances, very few but ... after twenty pages together and then 11 pages of ads all tucked at the end ... you just have to be angry! laugh

21 art pages including cover vs. 15 ad pages including covers.
(when are they gonna swap? any bets? next september?)

Williams and Blackman are hamstrung as the story moves slowly for me. Basically Batwoman and Wonder Woman arrive ... fight their way to the big bad.

Lard Lad #764211 02/20/13 11:54 PM
L
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
L
Remember these posts from a while back?

Well, here's an update!

Tonight, I took every New 52 book I owned (except for Snyder's Batman and LSH) to my CBS and took my Comic Book Guy's offer to take them all back for store credit! He gave me face value credit for each book that he didn't have in stock and $2 apiece credit for the ones he did have in stock. In all, I turned in 179 books, about 90-ish were for face value credit. He says this helps him because having more issues in stock will help those who are disinclined to try a series if there are holes in the runs. Seems his customers tend to greatly favor single issues over trades.

So, end result, I walked out of the store with 179 fewer, unwanted books taking up space and $473 in in-store credit which will save my debit account from being impacted by my dirty little habit for at least three months if I don't abuse it with too many impulse buys that said credit might arouse the temptation to indulge more than I normally would.

It felt damn good to walk out of the store with about twenty books I WANTED this week, whilst leaving behind ones I didn't and not paying a dime for the ones I did! laugh

Page 14 of 16 1 2 12 13 14 15 16

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,021
Posts1,045,265
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
Lightning Lad
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
mogli
mogli
San Diego, CA. USA
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star