Roll Call
1 members (Nightcrawler), 38 Murran Spies, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/09/24 08:34 AM
Kill This Thread LII - The End of the Deck of Cards
by Ann Hebistand - 05/09/24 06:41 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/09/24 03:04 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/09/24 03:03 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/09/24 03:03 AM
Legion Trivia 6
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/08/24 10:58 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/08/24 05:47 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 13
Re: IMAGE explosions
MLLASH #766741 03/29/13 12:45 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
<--- loves Manhattan Projects ... so is a big fan of at least one of Hickman's books. (although it is much better now that it is rolling along. It started out good but now it is fantastic.) I think Hickman needs a book he can work on for years.

MLLASH #766785 03/30/13 08:05 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
I'm a big fan of Hickman's actually, including his Marvel stuff which I think is brilliant. I also agree Manhattan Projects may be his very best thing yet so far!

They're all crazy and high concept, and scary in their own way. Yet I like most of them--even Oppenheimer--and find myself laughing and smiling at their humor. The General cracks me up.

MLLASH #767608 04/06/13 08:59 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
SEX #1 - Has a unique and interesting enough feel to bring me back for the next issue. Maybe a bit of Batman: Year One or Watchmen vibe? We'll see if it pans out. The plot device - a super-hero who retired as a promise to a dying friend - has potential. The sexual content, while explicit, is used sparingly enough that it doesn't derail the story.

DIA DE LOS MUERTOS issues #1 and #2 - This book has an artsy feel, an oversized format, and heavy stock paper. It feels good and smells awesome. The concept of short stories - typically of a horror nature - that occur on Dia de los Muertos is strong enough. The stories themselves could be a bit stronger, though. The packaging is beautiful enough to keep my interest for a few more issues.

Last edited by Jerry; 05/27/13 02:14 PM.

Beauty's where you find it. Not just where you bump and grind it.
MLLASH #767745 04/08/13 07:40 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Correction: It looks like Dia de los Muertos is a three issue mini. So I guess I'll be sticking around for one more issue.

MLLASH #768807 04/21/13 08:01 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
RE: Sex #2 - I like the moody artwork and colors. The story is moving slowly, but that seems to be okay. Lots of slow teases, which seems appropriate for a magazine with this title. Snappy dialogue between Cooke and Annabelle Lagranvense - the madame and former super villain. This relationship promises some fireworks.

Lard Lad #770443 05/07/13 09:57 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Originally Posted by Paladin
I read a TERRIFIC Image book the other night: The End Times of Bram and Ben #1! The basic premise of this 4-issue mini is that the biblical rapture happens, and we explore what the world is like for those, well, 'left behind'. As an added wrinkle, one of our title characters was raptured and then un-raptured/sent back due to a "clerical error", and as this fact becomes known, complications ensue for him from sources both earthly and supernatural.

As one may infer from the clerical reference, this is not a dark and gloomy book at all! In fact it reads and looks like a book very much in the vein of the excellent Chew comic (also published by Image), whose virtues I've been shouting about from the rooftops of Legion World ever since I discovered it. The story by James Asmus (who's also scripting the excellent second arc of Robert Kirkman's Thief of Thieves) and Jim Festante is irreverent and comical, and Rem Broo's pencils are similarly cartoony (complete with a few sight gags in the backgrounds!) as Chew's Rob Guillory's work. Basically, the art and the story compliment each other very well.

The issue opens with a page painting roommates Bram and Ben's relationship in broad strokes as not being unlike the classic Odd Couple dynamic. On the second page...well, the raptures start immediately, and we then get a few pages showing this happening (and NOT happening in one cheeky panel) on a broader scale. And then, we see the crucial un-rapturing, and the pair begin to explore what's happened and its immediate impact on their lives.

What's really immediately amusing is how the cause of what's happened is debated among their acqaintances and the world at large, when it would seem the cause is obvious. It was funny, but it rang true as every little thing is a conspiracy in our culture. It also shows how generally secular and skeptical our culture is. But we're shown enough behind the scenes to know that this is indeed the Rapture (or some permutation of it, possibly even a mistake?).

Yes, those readers of a more religious inclination could find some things offensive here, but as the backmatter asserts, this book's overriding purpose doesn't appear to be to skewer religion so much as to satirize some of the affectations that the public itself brings to the subject matter. Still, if you're overly sensitive about Christianity, this probably isn't the book for you.

And for $2.99, you get a full 32 pages of story, plus an inside back cover with an amusing note from the author and a hilarious back cover 'ad'! This was a pleasant surprise, and I look forward to the remaining issues. (Actually, I'm pretty bummed it's a mini! The platform presented here could easily sustain an ongoing for a few years.)

All in all, I'd give this issue...

LardLad LardLad LardLad LardLad LardLad

...out of five Lardies!

Ben & Bram #2 was a pretty darn hilarious follow-up to the outrageous first issue. Bram's campaigning to be the official anti-christ of the apocalypse as cliff-hangered last issue. And the movement spreads exactly as it would in our modern times--via internet memes! "I Can Haz Apokuhlips?" lol

Some of this issue is slightly more "been there, done that" than the previous issue, but it's still frsh and fun. Another highlight was Ben getting a fair ride-style tour of Hell in a hilarious double-page spread!

The fourth issue was released last week. I look forward to the last two issues!

I give this issue...

LardLad LardLad LardLad LardLad

...out of five Lardies!

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
MLLASH #772214 05/27/13 02:23 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Picked up the final issue of Dia de los Muertos this weekend. I'm glad I stuck around. The series kind of classes up my comic book collection. Kudos to artist, Riley Russo for his vision.

Three issues in, and I'm still enjoying SEX. The cast is still being developed and is shaping up nicely. As with TWD, the letters pages are half the fun. This issue, Casey treats us to an interesting discussion on fusion comics, and kind of defends the big two while arguing that writing corporate comic books can make your dick go soft. Keep on rockin', Joe.

Last edited by Jerry; 05/27/13 02:24 PM.

Cobalt Kid #774213 06/08/13 04:58 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Originally Posted by Paladin
I just realized that no one here is talking about Mind the Gap. Anyone getting this one? I'm getting it and really like it so far! Deep mystery + paranormal phenomena = a neat, entertaining book! The art is by Rodin Esquejo, who does those great covers for Morning Glories. The scripts are by Jim McCann, who's done a lot of work for Marvel the past few years, including the great, short-lived Hawkeye and Mockingbird series.

Other than the fact that I SUCK at mysteries (which makes it even harder for me with month-long gaps between installments), this has been a pleasant surprise for me. It won't kick your ass with its innovations or anything, but it's a solid, engrossing read.

I also love the text pages in the back where McCann points out some things you might have missed or should pay more attention to. It helps guys slow on the uptake like myself and just bubbles over with the writer's enthusiasm! Nice lettercol as well!
Originally Posted by Cobalt Kid
I'm also enjoying Mind the Gap quite a bit! For all the reasons you mention, especially for the heavy character driven element of the mystery. The latest issue I've read (#4) really took things to another level, showing a complexity to the mystery that makes me totally anxious to get more!

McCann is the author behind the universally praised "Return of the Dapper Men" which basically everyone who has read it agrees is the best thing ever (not me yet). He brings a unique style that shows his voice is pretty different from everyone else. And as you (Lardy) say, his enthusiasm in the back pages is infectious!

The artwork is pretty phenomenal too. The MG covers have always been gorgeous and here the interiors really shine with beautiful characters in a solid mystery setting.

High recommendation!

I just wanted to state (again) that Mind the Gap is just flat-out excellent! As good as it started out being, I think it's gotten SO much better! So much so, that it has a great chance of actually creeping into my Top Five, whenever I decide to post one again. If it doesn't make it, MtG will definitely get an honorable mention.

The story begins with Elle Petersson having been mysteriously attacked on a subway platform and left near death. There's this complex mystery that evolves as to the whodunnit and the why. All the while, Elle herself is trapped between life and death and meets other people in the same situation. Over time, she even learns to possess other patients who lie as vegetables in the same hospital, causing more chaos as the conspiracy behind her attack roils around her.

I know that mystery stories like Lost and Morning Glories can drive people crazy, but here, I think McCann strikes the perfect balance, so the plot never gets out of hand. And the character work is some of the very best being done in comics right now! If a comic wants to hook me, that's the place to start.

This book never gets the attention it deserves on the big sites, so I'll use what little pull I have here to make sure you guys get the word! Do yourself a favor and pick up the first trade and see what you've been missing! I think it's a great monthly read, plus the recap and character pages every issue help quite a bit, but I can see how reading a trade might feel more rewarding.

nod CHECK IT OUT!!! nod

MLLASH #774216 06/08/13 05:14 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
I also can't recommend this excellent series enough and agree its just getting better and better. It also benefits from McCann making sure every issue answers a few small questions--sometimes opening up new ones--so that you definitely feel the mystery is heading towards a resolution.

And the art is to die for. Striking figure work, and some great moodiness to it.

Totally under-praised among comic book websites. Like Lardy, a contender for my top 5.

MLLASH #775750 06/15/13 07:01 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
can one just jump into Mind the Gap and/or Mind MGMT ?

MLLASH #775841 06/15/13 10:03 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Mmmm. No, I don't think so. Especially Mind the Gap. It's such an intricate mystery that it would be difficult to just jump in. However, they do have recap pages every issue, so I suppose it's possible. I couldn't imagine never reading the earlier issues, though.

Mind MGMT.....Hmmm. (This is Dark Horse, not Image, btw.) On an arc by arc basis, I suppose you COULD jump on and still enjoy it. The second arc seems imminently accessible with it filling in anything you might need to know.

So I guess both are possible, but particularly with MtG, you'd really be missing all the nuance, character work and build-up that makes it so satisfying.

MLLASH #775861 06/16/13 06:17 AM
Pov Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Don't Stop Peelieving
So far, I've only seen Mind MGMT collected in hardcover... I don't know that I liked DH's recent #1-for-$1 issue to commit to it in the HC format.

"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me
MLLASH #775865 06/16/13 08:40 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I'll wait for the trades then ... thanks!

MLLASH #775878 06/16/13 12:20 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
I'd also recommend reading them in order for maximum effect. Both are fantastic series that get better and better, but that feeling comes from the continued build up from earlier issues as Lardy says.

MLLASH #776474 06/21/13 11:16 AM
Active
Active
re: Mind the Gap
Definitely read in order. It's also one of the most "need to pay attention to the art detail" books out there. From facial expressions to the clocks in the background (as hinted by the creators in the 1st issue), there are clues all over, although a lot are caught only in hindsight upon rereading for me. smile

I think the two biggest things to remember are stated in every issue...
1) "Everyone is a suspect. No one is innocent!"
Probably the most important. smile

2) The elapsed time
Although it's been 11 issues for us, it's been just under 3 days in the comic.
Will Elle rise on the third day, brought back like the Daughter of Jairus?

Very much so a recommended book!

MLLASH #777173 06/26/13 07:18 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Another great first Image issue I read the other day? Five Ghosts: The Haunting of Fabian Gray! Excellent story of a man who has somehow acquired the abilities/powers of "five literary ghosts": an archer, a samurai, a sorceror, a detective and a vampire.

If it sounds like a delightful, pulpy throwback conept, you're exactly right! In many ways this book is a throwback that harkens back to the days of comics like "Tomb of Dracula" and the Hammer horror films. It's set in the '30s or '40s, though, so we even get a brief scene featuring...random Nazis!

Fabian is a treaure hunter who is somewhat in the Indiana Jones mold but with the supernatural twist to his abilities. We open in a terrific sequence that ably demonstrates Fabian using all of his gifts in a heist with the aforementioned Nazis as antagonists. We move from there and learn more about him and what motvates him beyond fortune. We don't get a complete origin, but we see enough to get a general idea. We also see that Fabian's control is far from absolute and the likelihood that those issues will literally come back to haunt him. We get some idea of a larger antagonist waiting in the wings before closing out with---a cliffhanger! All in all, a great introductory script by Frank J. Barbiere, a writer whose work I'm otherwise unfamiliar with.

The story is perfectly complemented by the stylings of Chris Mooneyham, another talent previously unknown to me. His art is a throwback to previous generations notables like Gene Colan and Tom Mandrake. I also detect hints of Mike Grell, Brent Anderson, Joe Kubert and Neal Adams in there. This is not to say that Mooneyham apes those styles, but they are stylistic cousins to what he's doing. And I LOVED every panel of it! It's moody without being too abstract, and it absolutely conveys the pulpy feel in a way that few modern era products seem to be able to.

And lest I forget, I got 32 pages of story and art for my $3.50!

I can't wait to read the subsequent issues when I get to them. Issue four was released today, and Bleeding Cool reports that this 5-issue mini is likely announced to be upgraded to an ongoing very soon. AWESOME!

MLLASH #777178 06/26/13 08:35 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
I'm also loving the hell out of Five Ghosts! Awesome new debut and I'm thrilled its now an ongoing. Like you (Lardy) say, it's an awesome pulpy book with a fresh and unique feel.

I actually bought this one for the artwork, and its certainly worth the purchase for that alone. Mooneybeam is an immense talent! I can't remember an artist with art this exciting coming out of nowhere in forever. The action is edgy and riveting while the moodiness is so juicy and intense. I totally get the Grell and Adams comparisons, and there's also pieces of the Kuberts, early Frank Miller and jeez, so many others. Yet, its so completely his own. Where did this guy come from?!

Of course, the story is excellent too so far: crisp dialogue and a fascinating plot that is epic in the fun sense of Indiana Jones.

Really strong debut, and highly recommended.

MLLASH #777207 06/27/13 04:29 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Sometimes I feel like going to my CBS and saying, Give me every Image title you've got.

That Five Ghosts is definitely on my TPB list.

Last week, I read vol. 1-4 of Morning Glories. Very engrossing. I don't think I would have been able to follow this complicated story as well on a month-by-month basis, although some of the repetition in the trade version seemed like wasted pages. Now the worst part is waiting for the next trade.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
MLLASH #777278 06/27/13 06:32 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
^ Yeah, I just read MG #25 and couldn't help but get confused multiple times. A good third of it was used to kind of tie the timelines of various plot elements together and show how they fit together. A lot of this was half-remembered unfortunately as the "new kids" plot element has always been harder for me to understand. Despite this, I still enjoyed the issue somehow.
Methinks, a series reread at some point in the nearish future will be a good thing for me.

I doubt I'll ever quit getting MG or even switch to trades, despite some of these problems. The character development is always top-notch, and the page count for your money is always exceptional.

MLLASH #777282 06/27/13 06:37 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
I'm with you on that. I enjoy it monthly but do get confused at times. I major reread will be in order eventually for me too.

MLLASH #777284 06/27/13 06:45 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Probably the hardest thing with MG is how nonlinear it is. A cliffhanger in one issue may not be followed up on for a good while. Instead, it'll pick up from a cliffhanger a while ago that you half-remember. To me, that's harder than trying to figure out all the mysteries.

Plus, as i said, the new kids kinda burst on the scene with little-to-no "get to know me" build than the regulars had. I'm kinda hoping these kids don't become quite as prominent in the long run, at least not all of them. (Heck, a couple may be dead already, plus maybe? one of the regulars.)

Despite all of this criticism, I still LOVE the book, and it's a top read any week it comes out. It's also coming out more regularly lately, so that should help with confusion.

MLLASH #778121 07/02/13 03:26 PM
Pov Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Don't Stop Peelieving
Amy Reeder just announced on FB that her and Brandon Montclaire's Rocket Girl (my first Kickstarter participation, YAY!) is going to be published by Image. smile

"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me
MLLASH #778382 07/04/13 10:09 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Have you guys seen all the Image announcements?!!

New series by Brubaker & Epting, Aaron, Remender, Doran, and a whole host of others! Including the aforementioned Rocket Girl that is a must buy for this former fan of the much missed Madame Xanadu series. It's like all the best Vertigo and Marvel guys who haven't gone to Image yet are doing so now.

MLLASH #778416 07/04/13 11:48 AM
Pov Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Don't Stop Peelieving
Definitely checking out Bru & Epting's VELVET. I'll check the actual solicits for the other announcements. Be interesting to see Image cut into the market share held by Big 2, especially the foundering DCNu.

MLLASH #779419 07/11/13 07:01 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
OK, based on the reviews I picked up the first two trades and issue #11 of Mind the Gap. Let's see how it goes.

Page 5 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 13

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,021
Posts1,045,222
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Stratum
Stratum
Wood River, IL
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star