Roll Call
0 members (), 37 Murran Spies, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Jfposey - 05/07/24 05:19 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/07/24 04:22 PM
Kill This Thread LII - The End of the Deck of Cards
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/07/24 03:19 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Eryk Davis Ester - 05/07/24 04:15 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/07/24 12:40 AM
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/07/24 12:40 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/07/24 12:37 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 14 1 2 3 4 13 14
Re: Re-Reading the Legion: Archives #2
Eryk Davis Ester #769638 04/29/13 10:18 PM
Not much between despair and ecstacy
Originally Posted by Eryk Davis Ester
Adventure 306

It's also amazing how well this story works with the Legionnaires as merely an element in the background rather than as the main focus of the story. It was kind of brave to try that at this early a phase in the Legion series.

I was impressed by this, as well. The Legionnaires effectively become supporting characters in their own series. This shows how rich the Legion's universe was, and how it lent itself to being filled out in all sorts of ways. Some writers, editors, and fans may feel that the Legion has always had too many characters, but stories such as this show how a large cast can be a strength.

Check out my new Power Club website!

The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that
He Who Wanders #769639 04/29/13 10:26 PM
Leader
Leader
Originally Posted by He Who Wanders
Others have pointed out the lapses in logic and the lazy depiction of Subs wearing their costumes before they got their powers. (It's either laziness or Mort or John felt readers were too stupid to recognize the heroes without their costumes.) For me, the biggest flaw is the tried-and-true method of having characters explain what the art is already depicting.

I think it's the latter. They wanted to make sure the characters were recognized. They used to depict Clark sleeping in his glasses too. I remember a reader wrote in about it once and they replied, "not a mistake, but drawn on purpose so readers would recognize him". It's odd though, that Garth is depicted in his costume in the flashback, but Ayla is not depicted in the one that she wears at the end of the story, however, she does have the bouffant hairdo that she later sports, not long hair, as the story specified she previously had.

Yes, it was quite annoying the way every character had to explain what they were doing in every panel throughout the silver age, when it was usually obvious from the art. Element Lad: "I'll use my element-changing ability to change the poisonous kryptonite to harmless helium" or some such.

Buy my new graphic novel!
http://www.dodeka12.com
Eryk Davis Ester #769640 04/29/13 10:40 PM
Sadly, the level of some readers' intelligence didn't improve even in the 1970s. S/LSH # 211 contained a flashback in which Star Boy (now wearing his black starfield costume) recounted how he was expelled from the Legion (then wearing his purple and white costume). A wily reader complained that the artist forgot to depict Star Boy in the flashback panel--apparently not realizing he'd changed costumes!

There will always be idiotic readers, but it's unfortunate that DC often chose to write down to their level.

Eryk Davis Ester #769642 04/30/13 12:59 AM
Trap Timer
OP Offline
Trap Timer
See also characters always wearing basically the same outfit in their civilian identities.

At the end of the day, though, I'd take the heavy exposition of the Silver Age over some more modern comics where you are just left scratching your head as to what actually happened after you read them.

Eryk Davis Ester #769643 04/30/13 03:41 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Were tree-men common in sci fi or comics in this era? I'm wondering if Hamilton had used them in a story or if he took the idea from the Tree Men of Abro.

The Tree Men of Arbro couldn't reproduce because of a lack of chlorophyll - now there's a hero task for Chlorophyll Kid. This story's tree men have suffered a massive population explosion. You've got to figure there was a big die-off from this; perhaps their entire race died off as well.

There's Marvel's Groot, who first appeared in 1960 and the Cotati (from the 1970s). Tolkein's Ents go back further, and there's a raft of talking trees in fairy tales. Apart from Groot, I don't recall any tree beings in contemporary comics.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
Eryk Davis Ester #769654 04/30/13 06:31 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Regarding the "never deviating from costumes" idea, which as Jim says extends to civilian ID's, there's some evidence this came from Mort himself, and was done on a editor by editor basis. One Superman artist (I can't remember which one anymore) recalled that they wanted to have some fun with various clothes the characters would wear--simply to alleviate boredom at times--but Mort believed younger readers would be thrown off.

Yet over in say, Green Lantern, Hal Jordan is shown wearing a different set of clothes every issue--indeed, that is part of the charm of his social life. When Marvel really got going, their characters constantly had different clothes. So I think it really comes back to Mort (and Jack Schiff did this too).

What's funny is this was definitely *not* a thing in the Golden Age!

He Who Wanders #769657 04/30/13 08:15 AM
Leader
Leader
Sadly, the level of some readers' intelligence didn't improve even in the 1970s. S/LSH # 211 contained a flashback in which Star Boy (now wearing his black starfield costume) recounted how he was expelled from the Legion (then wearing his purple and white costume). A wily reader complained that the artist forgot to depict Star Boy in the flashback panel--apparently not realizing he'd changed costumes!

There will always be idiotic readers, but it's unfortunate that DC often chose to write down to their level.

Wasn't Thom even wearing his old purple shirt in that story? Hard to believe that reader couldn't figure out that the guy in the flashback with the big star on his chest was STAR Boy.

Fat Cramer #769658 04/30/13 08:28 AM
Trap Timer
OP Offline
Trap Timer
Originally Posted by Fat Cramer
Were tree-men common in sci fi or comics in this era? I'm wondering if Hamilton had used them in a story or if he took the idea from the Tree Men of Abro.

Hamilton had definitely used Plant Men previously. In the Interstellar Patrol series, Plant-Men come from Capella, for example.

jimgallagher #769665 04/30/13 09:15 AM
Originally Posted by jimgallagher

Wasn't Thom even wearing his old purple shirt in that story? Hard to believe that reader couldn't figure out that the guy in the flashback with the big star on his chest was STAR Boy.

And Thom even had the same haircut!

Do you mean, was Thom wearing his purple shirt during the present events of the story? No. The purple shirt appears in only one panel, as Thom recalls how Brainy "proved" Thom could have stopped Kenz Nuhor without killing him.

(I use "proved" in quotation marks because Brainy ignores the fact that being hit in the head with a heavy tree limb might still have resulted in Kenz's death. Brainy was just being a good prosecutor. He would have done well on "Law and Order.")

In the panel's caption, Thom (headshot only) says, "I should know! I once killed a man in self-defense . . . but Brainiac 5 proved I could have avoided it . . ." So, even if readers were thrown momentarily by the change in costumes, a preponderance of other information should have cleared things up.

Eryk Davis Ester #769666 04/30/13 09:19 AM
Trap Timer
OP Offline
Trap Timer
Didn't Johns retcon things so that Star Boy received his starfield costume much sooner, like around the time that he was expelled? Maybe this was the justification.

Eryk Davis Ester #769667 04/30/13 09:31 AM
See also characters always wearing basically the same outfit in their civilian identities.

At the end of the day, though, I'd take the heavy exposition of the Silver Age over some more modern comics where you are just left scratching your head as to what actually happened after you read them.

There's a fine balance between too much exposition and not enough.

The Star Boy example I mentioned above illustrates, I think, how this balance can be achieved. The reader who complained notwithstanding, the scene does not have to explain that Star Boy changed costumes. It relies on the reader being able to interpret from other information that he's the same character. The scene also does not have to identify Brainiac 5 (who does not appear elsewhere in the story); the reader can infer that he's another Legionnaire or someone with the authority to expel Star Boy from the Legion.

(Though, if readers really needed confirmation of Brainy's identity, he is depicted on the cover banner and appears in the backup story, which, coincidental to our discussion, features the Subs!)

Jim Shooter, who wrote the story in question, appears to have trusted the reader's intelligence. This is much better than Legionnaires constantly referring to themselves and each other as "Legion member Mon-El" or saying, "I'm Matter-Eater Lad. I just joined the Legion so many of you may not know me yet. Please tell me what you already know and what new readers don't." smile

Eryk Davis Ester #769668 04/30/13 09:35 AM
Didn't Johns retcon things so that Star Boy received his starfield costume much sooner, like around the time that he was expelled? Maybe this was the justification.

I don't know about the retcon. If so, it doesn't seem to make any sense.

Eryk Davis Ester #769675 04/30/13 11:57 AM
Leader
Leader
I must be remembering a different story. There's some story starring Star Boy where he's hanging out in a cut-down purple shirt from his old costume and shorts, telling another Legionnaire his hard luck story.

Eryk Davis Ester #769677 04/30/13 12:14 PM
Trap Timer
OP Offline
Trap Timer
^^That's LSH #306.

Eryk Davis Ester #769682 04/30/13 01:34 PM
A few random comments about Adv. 306:

Kids in the future are so technologically advanced that they can dig out their own mountain headquarters, build a spaceship, and build a "Warning Wall" monitor system.

What did happen to the plant man kayoed by Night Girl? After he woke up, was he arrested? Did he get away? Did he discover he was the last of his race? There is definitely an untold story here.

Notice the spellings of some code names. In addition to "The Chlorophyll Kid," we've got Stoneboy and Sunboy each as one word. Anomalously, Fire-Lad is spelled with a hyphen.

If super-powers existed in the real world, I get the feeling they'd be on the level of the Subs', not the near-godlike abilities most Legionnaires exhibit. But think how useful it would be to make plants grow super-fast and to super-sizes. Ral could clean up as an organic farmer. And Brek would be much in demand for food storage, beverage cooling, and cryogenics. Even Dag could rent himself out as an undercover museum security guard. So, the Subs' problem wasn't that their powers weren't good enough. It's that they defined being heroes and helping people only in Legion terms.

That said, it's awfully convenient that the invading threat just happened to be one that could be thwarted by their particular powers. If the invaders were something other than plant men, earth would have been doomed.

Eryk Davis Ester #769684 04/30/13 01:55 PM
Trap Timer
OP Offline
Trap Timer
Well, as we'll find out in the next Subs appearance, they're also pretty effective against invading lizard men, at least those that are vulnerable to cold. wink

Eryk Davis Ester #769686 04/30/13 02:13 PM
And then there was steak!
Adv 306 or Where Conjure Lass would probably end up were the Legion real life and not in my fantasy world.

WHOA, what happened to Polar Boy's NECK on the first page?!! It looks like his head is balancing on a snowball! Or that he swallowed a tennis ball!

Man, the Legion should have hired someone else to design/carve their tribute statues. Because man do those suck.

Truthfully, i've always been confused as to why they'd reject Polar Boy. True, he didn't have THAT great of control over his abilities, but in this story he seems perfectly competent. And it's the 30th century! Surely the Legionnaires could find some way to protect themselves from the cold.

Lydda is really pretty in this issue. I wish I could get my hair to do that. XD

StoneBoy's power really IS absolutely useless in a combat situation. I mean, I guess with a little creativity you might be able to use it a bit...but really? NAAAAAH.

I've never understood why the Subs didn't just FORM THEIR OWN TEAM. I mean, sure, they can stand for the same ideals as the Legion, but if they're going to be a separate team anyway they may as well just call themselves something else!

Eryk Davis Ester #769708 04/30/13 07:21 PM
K
Leader
Leader
K
Oh, Conjure. Stone Boy useless in a fight? Perhaps...

But in the real world, Stone Boy and a modestly intelligent engineer could be wealthy beyond the dreams of avarice.

Since Stone Boy's power violates the law of conservation of mass, that means that he could be a component of an actual operating Perpetual Motion Machine of the First Kind. And that means infinite free energy!

He can buy an army to fight for him.

“I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal.” -- Groucho Marx
Eryk Davis Ester #769774 04/30/13 09:14 PM
Trap Timer
OP Offline
Trap Timer
In retrospect, you do kind of wonder why the Subs didn't think, "Crap! I didn't make it into the Legion. Hmm... let's try the Wanderers. After all, they admitted a guy with a blowgun!"

Eryk Davis Ester #769777 04/30/13 09:19 PM
True. True. Not only that, but The Legion of Substitute Heroes is just TOO LONG A NAME. How do they expect people to remember that?!

Klar Ken T5477 #769778 04/30/13 09:21 PM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
Originally Posted by Klar Ken T5477
But in the real world, Stone Boy and a modestly intelligent engineer could be wealthy beyond the dreams of avarice.

Since Stone Boy's power violates the law of conservation of mass, that means that he could be a component of an actual operating Perpetual Motion Machine of the First Kind. And that means infinite free energy!

Yeah, but that's like hiring the Flash to power a city from an exercise bike. Given an inertron bike & chain and some super-lubricant, it could be done and would supply more energy than any conventional means, but it would be the ultimate in drudge work for the guy doing it!

My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War .
Eryk Davis Ester #769779 04/30/13 09:22 PM
...super-lubricant.

God help me, I'm so immature.

Eryk Davis Ester #769782 04/30/13 09:29 PM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
Read up on Buckyballs, which potentially carry the greatest lubrication potential known to man!

My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War .
Eryk Davis Ester #769786 04/30/13 09:36 PM
In retrospect, you do kind of wonder why the Subs didn't think, "Crap! I didn't make it into the Legion. Hmm... let's try the Wanderers. After all, they admitted a guy with a blowgun!"

Maybe they didn't want to do all that wandering.

Eryk Davis Ester #769788 04/30/13 09:36 PM
The potential profits for KY just shot through the roof!

Page 2 of 14 1 2 3 4 13 14

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,021
Posts1,045,196
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP