Roll Call
0 members (), 51 Murran Spies, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Legion Worlds Nine updated 15 May 24
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/15/24 03:57 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/15/24 03:44 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/15/24 03:44 AM
Legion of Super-Heroes Fansets Pins
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/15/24 03:43 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/15/24 03:43 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/15/24 03:41 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/15/24 03:40 AM
Kill This Thread LIII - There's a Joker in Here!
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/15/24 03:39 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Re-Reading the Legion: Conjure reads the reboot!
Conjure Lass #769900 05/01/13 04:45 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
He had loads of good one but these two are my faves.

(He did a bunch of JSA covers as well)

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Power Boy; 05/01/13 04:46 PM.
Invisible Brainiac #769901 05/01/13 05:07 PM
And then there was steak!
OP Offline
And then there was steak!
Boy, obviously these issues didn't make an impression on me because I can't remember the storyline AT ALL. Must go back and take a look. *nod nod*

Originally Posted by Invisible Brainiac
Brainiac 5 and the Legion in hell on a quest to save a soul? Sounds interesting, but even with the Legion's experience with magic it seems rather not Legion-y. It sure would be different...

I'd like to think that doing things that are not Legion-y would have been good for this series at this point. It might be kinda fun to step into the whole metaphysical/arcane sort of thing just for a few issues. Hell, the current series could use something HALF as interesting.

Conjure Lass #769902 05/01/13 05:31 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I have no idea what the insides of those stories are either.

Conjure Lass #769911 05/01/13 08:13 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Online Content
Unseen, not unheard
Originally Posted by Conjure Lass

I'd like to think that doing things that are not Legion-y would have been good for this series at this point. It might be kinda fun to step into the whole metaphysical/arcane sort of thing just for a few issues. Hell, the current series could use something HALF as interesting.

I agree, it would have been a great way to explore how Brainy and Lyle would deal with issues of faith; Tinya's experience with death; ditto Wildfire, maybe have James and Gim show up; Jan's philosophy on life; Tasmia communicating with her ancestors; explore the magical background of Zoe; etc etc

Neither of you missed that much. The first cover is LSH 118, end to the Pernisius/ eternium 3 parter. Some nice focus on Thunder and good moments for Brainy, pleasant enough. 1

Conjure Lass #769912 05/01/13 08:16 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Online Content
Unseen, not unheard
Second one is LSH 102, with the Xanthian Legionnaires and the Amazers stopping an invasion of Xanthu. Lead-up to Dark Circle, and Kid Quantum II decides to join. Pleasant enough too.

I guess the later Postboot stories were like that - pleasant, but not particularly memorable. Some teen drama, but our heroes weren't challenged too much.

Conjure Lass #769913 05/01/13 08:19 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Online Content
Unseen, not unheard
I'm using my iPod now so links will be tough, but some gorgeous Alan Davis covers - LSH 80 has a nice group shot, LSH Annual 6 (that was him right?) hAs another.

LSH 101 is a nice homage to the resurrection of Lightning Lad, LSH 105 has a good spread showing diff. versions of the Legion. LSH 79 has a great fight scene vs. the Fatal Five, as does LSH 121.

Invisible Brainiac #769927 05/01/13 09:25 PM
Deputy
Deputy
Second one is LSH 102, with the Xanthian Legionnaires and the Amazers stopping an invasion of Xanthu. Lead-up to Dark Circle, and Kid Quantum II decides to join. Pleasant enough too.

I guess the later Postboot stories were like that - pleasant, but not particularly memorable. Some teen drama, but our heroes weren't challenged too much.

agreed. the later half were very much like that.

I'm in the middle of reading the Dark Circle Saga and i have to agree its very under whelming.

read the adventures of the Reboot Legion!

http://www.legionworld.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=001232
Conjure Lass #769928 05/01/13 09:27 PM
Deputy
Deputy
Originally Posted by Conjure Lass
Boy, obviously these issues didn't make an impression on me because I can't remember the storyline AT ALL. Must go back and take a look. *nod nod*

Brainiac 5 and the Legion in hell on a quest to save a soul? Sounds interesting, but even with the Legion's experience with magic it seems rather not Legion-y. It sure would be different...

I couldn't agree more this would have been an awesome story arch to do!

Conjure Lass #769940 05/02/13 02:51 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Online Content
Unseen, not unheard
What other stories do you wish the Postboot Legion had done? I just suddenly had a crazy idea where a retrieve-Brainiac4's-soul-from-Hell story could also have been used to find Tinya's 3rd body; de-Terrorform Kinetix; restore Live Wire's origin body; put Element Lad's soul to rest; restore Ferro's ability to turn Ito flesh, resolve Dreamer's vision about Star Boy's tomb; figure out why Cub was aging so fast; cure Star Boy's power malfunctions and devolve Sensor to her original form. Heck, half those developments could have been resolved by haviń Kinetix release all her stored hypertaxis energy!

Invisible Brainiac #769963 05/02/13 04:26 AM
#deleteFacebook
Online Shocked
#deleteFacebook
...find Tinya's 3rd body...figure out why Cub was aging so fast

I actually did a short about that once. Spoiler-boxed for length and being a bit off-topic.
(Short Apparition fanfic)
This story takes place between The Legion #33 and The Legion #35

Apparition lay back on her bed, alone, and tried not to think. It didn't work. After five minutes of her thoughts' spin-cycle, she gave up, sat up and took in the omnipresent hum of Legion World and the uniform grey walls. Three things stopped her from sleeping:

One, her child. Cub was now apparently six years old, despite having been born only two months prior. He'd been two years old before his experience with Universo jumped him forward to five, and in the past fortnight he'd aged another year. At that rate, he'd be older than her in just over half a year, and dead of old age by the time he hit a real-time three. And none of the doctors, nor Brainy or Lyle could find a reason for it.

(For a moment, she wondered what possessed her to call him "Cub," then she remembered. Minutes before she gave birth she'd heard of the Lost Legionnaires' return - indeed, that had triggered her labour - and she didn't want to name him without consulting Jo, and in the meantime Brin had taken to calling him "cub" as his general name for a child. Then, with Cub's aging and Problem Number Two, choosing a name first slipped down her list and became impossible after Universo...)

Two, her marriage. She'd now moved out of Jo's suite entirely as their mutual trust had seemingly evaporated. After she'd read his letter to Imra, and he'd read something that wasn't there into her relationship with Brin, and now, and now...

Three, herself. Or, more specifically, her third self. She'd tried to block it out for the two years since she'd merged with Phase, but every now and then something inside herself reminded her that she wasn't quite "whole." Her mother hadn't known her father was Carggite, and he'd taken her other selves at birth to sell to the Luck Lords to placate them over a gambling debt. A pure Carggite would have died, but being half-Bgztlian had saved her. But when she'd merged with Phase, it had nearly ripped her mind apart, which was why she'd avoided looking for her third self since. Even now, when the Kwai could find her in minutes, she'd been putting off looking for her third self.

She sat there for five minutes more, knowing what she was about to do and trying to talk herself out of it. Eventually, though, she gave in and went to arrange for childcare for Cub. She couldn't help him, and she didn't know if she wanted to save her marriage right at that moment, but she could find her third self, and not be two-thirds of a person any more. She had to do it.

She emerged from the Threshold on a silent moon under a force-field dome. Shivering, she asked her Kwai guide to return in two hours if she didn't call sooner, and looked down. There, under her feet, was an unmistakable grave.

The small-holomarker accompanying it didn't give a name, or indeed any details, but she knew she stood on her own grave.

Bundling her cloak around her, she collapsed on the dusty ground, tears running down both cheeks. She'd sneaked out here in the hope of... and she'd... and...

She sat like that for almost an hour, undisturbed, the only living person in the city of the dead. Eventually, the tears stopped and she started thinking again. Realising that perhaps there was one way to answer her questions, she became immaterial and slipped into the ground. Staying phased when she saw the corpse nearly proved impossible, scraps of hair clinging to decomposed skin barely holding to her bare skull, but she found what she was looking for and got out as soon as possible.

Back on the surface, she opened her hand and looked at the touchstone. Not smooth and rimmed in gold like her own, but a simple, rough, red jewel. After her own experiences with death and life, she knew that their connection with the dead was more than mere myth. Holding the pose a second, she clasped it to the touchstone on her cloak. Fragments of memory from her final self ran through her head like a badly damaged holo. She saw the Luck Lord that had retained her Phase self selling this third self to a slave trader, who had sold her in turn with a group of a thousand other Bgztlians to a mining company, who'd thought that Bgztlians might prove easier to use in their operations, on the basis that they wouldn't need elevators or mineshafts.

Every single one of them had died, on the moon she now stood on. Her third self was one of the "luckier" ones, having made it to the surface to receive a proper burial. Most still lay dead in the caverns below.

As Apparition retched violently, the touchstone conveyed one final image to her before it dropped to the ground. One that shocked her almost as much as what had happened beneath her feet, but in a very different way...

The next day, after a sleepless night, Apparition lay on her bed once more. It was one of her rest days, and she'd spent the previous night and that morning lying there, trying to comprehend the last image her other self's touchstone had given her and trying not to think of the other images. The rough touchstone lay at her bedside, nothing more to convey to her. Now she knew of her third self's fate, but that was different from merging with her, the way she'd merged with Phase. After unmoving hours, she stood and picked up the other touchstone, thinking of the final image as she walked in to look at Cub's empty bed, Cub himself spending time with a couple of the younger Cadets.

Her own face, on a Jinx-Dog, pushing a Dominator out of the window as she lay beneath in an unflattering blue maternity dress with her face screwed up in labour.

She'd never realised just how unflattering that thing looked. Of course, Brin wouldn't have said so.

She could joke, of course, but the knowledge that she was her own son was freaking her out. Even if it explained why even Brainy and Lyle were stumped over Cub's mysterious aging. Neither subscribed to mystical thought, especially Brainy, who came close to pretending magic didn't exist when it wasn't being paraded in front of his face.

She'd worn her touchstone during pregnancy. She'd phased (against doctor's advice), during pregnancy. The third fragment of... her soul?... had come through and entered her baby, and having two souls was burning Cub out, killing him, she just knew. There was only one thing to do.

"Hi," Cub said as he entered.

"Hi," Apparition's tear-streaked face looked her son straight in the eye. "Do you know what this is?"

"A touchstone, like yours?" Cub said upon seeing the red jewel she held in her hand.

"Yes, take it... just for a moment. And just remember I love you, always." When it was in his hand, she took her own touchstone and touched it to the jewel in his hand. Then her world went black.

She awoke in Legion World's medi-bay, grey like the rest, however much later she couldn't say. Her head... seemed oddly quiet, yet somehow more complete. She turned her head to her right and saw Doctor Gym'll rushing towards her, then turned her head to the left.

There, in a crib, lay a two-month old child with the barest covering of black hair covering his head, Jo standing over him with a puzzled expression on his face. Brin was there too, but facing her rather than the crib. She shut her eyes. She didn't have any more memories, the way she'd had after merging with Phase, but then Phase had been alive, not reborn in the body of her son. And her baby would live to whatever age he would live to. That was the important thing.

"Cub? Cub..." Jo cooed.

"Byrin. His name's Byrin."

"My Son, Myself"
An Untold Tale of the Postboot
By Reboot.

resolve Dreamer's vision about Star Boy's tomb

Surely this one relates to Starman...

Attached Images Starman50Thom.jpg Starman80Thom.jpg

My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War .
Conjure Lass #769969 05/02/13 07:35 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Online Content
Unseen, not unheard
That is a well-written and effective story that nicely wraps up two major danglers right there! I so want to take that as canon. Permission to consider it so in any fics I set in that reality? smile

Re Star Boy, huh. I share Thom's consternation. Doesn't address his gravity powers malfunctioning though, so perhaps that future isn't set in stone...

Conjure Lass #769970 05/02/13 07:39 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Wasn't the Dark Circle story intercut with the Time Trapper stuff (or one just after the other)? I seem to remember them sapping momentum from each other.

Conjure Lass #769974 05/02/13 07:48 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Online Content
Unseen, not unheard
The build up to the Dark Circle had begun with he Xanthu invasion, the Anomaly exploration, Evolvo inventing his teleporter, Kid Quantum II and Karate Kid joining, and the Sklarian's attempted assassination of RJ Brande. That was LSH 102 to 104 an Legionnaires 57 to 60. Then the Time Trapper/ multiple Legions in LSH 105 and L*61, and then Dark Circle proper in LSH 106 to 108 an L*62 to 65. Lots of momentum being sapped there...

Invisible Brainiac #769998 05/02/13 11:56 AM
#deleteFacebook
Online Shocked
#deleteFacebook
That is a well-written and effective story that nicely wraps up two major danglers right there! I so want to take that as canon. Permission to consider it so in any fics I set in that reality? smile

Permission granted tongue

Re Star Boy, huh. I share Thom's consternation. Doesn't address his gravity powers malfunctioning though, so perhaps that future isn't set in stone...

I almost think it's cause and effect - his gravity powers malfunction, creating a wormhole, dumping him in the early 21st century to become Danny Blaine and leaving him believed dead in the 31st, hence the gravestone visions...

As to "why"... his space whale energy and the power malfunctions it was causing was never actually dissipated, just redirected to his gravity powers (imagine Jo Nah stuck with, say, just his heat vision). Why *shouldn't* it still be causing him trouble, especially after the stress of sustained overuse of his gravity powers against Robotica - both on Xanthu and, more importantly, buffering *the entire mass of Warworld* for an extended time around Earth?

My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Conjure Lass #770031 05/02/13 08:37 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Online Content
Unseen, not unheard
I agree, but without 31st century tech and treatment, are we to believe he survived another 3 or so decades with malfunctioning powers? Or I hag what caused his demise as Danny Blaine?

Thanks for the permission laugh ah, lifts a weight off my shoulders to nt have to think f a resolution for Cub!

Invisible Brainiac #770037 05/02/13 08:56 PM
#deleteFacebook
Online Shocked
#deleteFacebook
I agree, but without 31st century tech and treatment, are we to believe he survived another 3 or so decades with malfunctioning powers?

Three? More like six! That does NOT look like the face of someone in their late forties!

Clearly, creating the inadvertent wormhole and travelling through it burned out/dissipated/drained his space whale energy for good, leaving him back at his original power levels when he landed in the 21st century.

Or I hag what caused his demise as Danny Blaine?

Oh, you hag. You hag lot. wink

Seriously, seems more like a fight he knew he'd lose. If he was going to die anyway, it would hardly matter *when* he went.

Thanks for the permission laugh ah, lifts a weight off my shoulders to nt have to think f a resolution for Cub!

Heh.

Conjure Lass #770044 05/02/13 09:10 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Online Content
Unseen, not unheard
I accept your wormhole explanation and we shall leave it at that tongue

Invisible Brainiac #770087 05/03/13 11:20 AM
#deleteFacebook
Online Shocked
#deleteFacebook
...we shall leave it at that tongue

Bah! Bah, I say! You're no fun any more wink

Conjure Lass #770184 05/04/13 08:01 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Online Content
Unseen, not unheard
We could think of reasons why Dreamer never foresaw Thom returning to the future tongue One is that he never did, even at the end of his natural life - maybe he wound in the past. And of course, since she sees the future, she wouldn't have seen anything that happened during Thom's time as Danny Blaine - which occurred in her past!

Conjure Lass #770185 05/04/13 08:16 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Online Content
Unseen, not unheard

Conjure Lass #770216 05/04/13 11:23 PM
Deputy
Deputy

Legion of Super-Heroes 80 is one of my most favorite covers! and issues. I loved seeing the legion take down the fatal five and president Chu! gaining their independence!

this was really the culmination in a lot of ways of the Legion's first year. IMHO

Conjure Lass #770226 05/05/13 12:33 AM
R
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
R
Yeah, I think that LoSH 80 cover is iconic....plus, you can't go wrong with Davis art. Scientists should work on cloning Alan Davis so he can just draw every comic book ever, especially any with teenagers in it. smile

Actually, come to think of it I think he would do an amazing Power Pack too....I would love to see his version of Lightspeed! smile

Conjure Lass #770228 05/05/13 01:10 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Online Content
Unseen, not unheard
Hell yeah on LSH 80! It was almost perfect - only the absence of Apparition kept it from being truly so. But nearly all the unresolved plots of the past year were wrapped up, and almost everything tied into that storyline. Amazing, simply amazing. And the look of pure joy on the Legionnaires' faces sums it up perfectly.

Invisible Brainiac #770536 05/10/13 10:09 AM
Eager Young Space Cadet
Eager Young Space Cadet
Great covers there, interesting that LOSH #79 and #121 both have the Persuader slicing through the book's title. It's neat touches such as those that helps sell the book, I think.

Legionnaires Annual #2 was the first issue I ever bought of the Reboot Legion. Loved it, terrific story, action, and art. That Tinya actually 'died' was impressive back then.

Comment on XS - I want to like her, but it's hard for I think she was underused and under-explored. Over in Flash, Waid had been building up the wonderful idea of the Flash Legacy, the bloodlines of Allen and West carrying on the tradition and powers of the Flash. While Jenni was part of that Legacy, it was never fully explored within the pages of the Legion so she felt like a potential Flash Family member that got lost in the cracks. When she stuck in the past, she felt more like a true character. Lost potential there I think.

"I have a ticket to the moon....but I'd rather see the sunrise...in your eyes"
String #770567 05/10/13 11:32 PM
#deleteFacebook
Online Shocked
#deleteFacebook
Originally Posted by The Flying Fool
Comment on XS - I want to like her, but it's hard for I think she was underused and under-explored. Over in Flash, Waid had been building up the wonderful idea of the Flash Legacy, the bloodlines of Allen and West carrying on the tradition and powers of the Flash. While Jenni was part of that Legacy, it was never fully explored within the pages of the Legion so she felt like a potential Flash Family member that got lost in the cracks. When she stuck in the past, she felt more like a true character. Lost potential there I think.

I think half the problem with Jenni was that her Flash connections kept getting her yanked out of the book for months at a time! Ergo, the writers were always a bit wary about trying to do too much with her, the same way JLA writers were always wary with Superman/Batman/etc.

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,022
Posts1,045,328
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden