Roll Call
0 members (), 25 Murran Spies, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Jfposey - 05/07/24 05:19 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/07/24 04:22 PM
Kill This Thread LII - The End of the Deck of Cards
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/07/24 03:19 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Eryk Davis Ester - 05/07/24 04:15 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/07/24 12:40 AM
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/07/24 12:40 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/07/24 12:37 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 13 of 15 1 2 11 12 13 14 15
Re: Re-Reading the Legion: Archives #3
He Who Wanders #776899 06/24/13 11:45 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Originally Posted by He Who Wanders
Adv. 323

By the way, didn't one of the earlier stories (305?) show the other Phantom Zone criminals plotting revenge against the Legion? When did Superman free them?

Exactly what I thought. and if he did, surely there would have been some female criminals as well - couldn't there have been enough to restart the Kryptonian race?

And it's just funny that Superboy suddenly has the power of total recall in this story. What? I am so going to be on the lookout for the next time he forgets something!

Last edited by Invisible Brainiac; 06/24/13 11:48 AM.
Invisible Brainiac #776905 06/24/13 01:25 PM
Not much between despair and ecstacy
Originally Posted by Invisible Brainiac

Also interesting is that he's the first Legionnaire after Brainiac 5, Shrinking Violet and Mon-El to not have a Boy/Girl/Lad/Lass/Kid name.

Actually, Princess Projectra joined before Brin.

I'm still baffled as to why an android would want to work in a circus, though. Do androids get bored?

I assumed he joined the circus because he needed to eat--another example of Dr. Londo designing his androids too well, perhaps--or was lonely.

Check out my new Power Club website!

The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that
Eryk Davis Ester #776914 06/24/13 02:10 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Well, circuses have been known to be full of "freaks", and one feels they are a freak among society, one might seek out those they believe would feel similar.

He Who Wanders #776939 06/24/13 03:47 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L

Another admirable trait about this story is the way it’s told. When Karth, posing as Brin, relates his story in flashback, he’s shown from behind or from a distance to create a sense of mystery over his identity. (In black and white, this story telling device is particularly effective.) This is a nice, subtle touch that shows how writers and artists can play straight with readers without telling them everything.

I don't know if the coloring in the Archives is 100% faithful to the original "Lone Wolf Legionnaire" story, but, if so, the flashback plays more than fair with the readers by showing that all the androids have 'black' hair and not 'brown' hair like our supposed Lone Wolf android. Only when Dr. Londo is presented with the Zuunium is 'Karth' colored as having brown hair. So if the coloring in the Archives is faithful, the readers should notice that all the androids are black-haired.

We'll need someone like Cobie reading from the originals to confirm whether the hair-coloring in the flashbacks is accurate. (And no, it's not stated in the text that all the androids are identical, but they sure all appear to be so in the flashback.)

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
Eryk Davis Ester #776941 06/24/13 03:59 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Wow. That's surprising because in the original, all the androids are dead ringers for Brin, hair color and all!

Cobalt Kid #776942 06/24/13 04:26 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Originally Posted by Paladin

I don't know if the coloring in the Archives is 100% faithful to the original "Lone Wolf Legionnaire" story, but, if so, the flashback plays more than fair with the readers by showing that all the androids have 'black' hair and not 'brown' hair like our supposed Lone Wolf android. Only when Dr. Londo is presented with the Zuunium is 'Karth' colored as having brown hair. So if the coloring in the Archives is faithful, the readers should notice that all the androids are black-haired.

We'll need someone like Cobie reading from the originals to confirm whether the hair-coloring in the flashbacks is accurate. (And no, it's not stated in the text that all the androids are identical, but they sure all appear to be so in the flashback.)
Originally Posted by Cobalt Kid
Wow. That's surprising because in the original, all the androids are dead ringers for Brin, hair color and all!

hmmm So Archive hair coloring = FAIL! gasp

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
Eryk Davis Ester #776943 06/24/13 04:45 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Bah! I'm surprised the androids weren't all Brainy!

He Who Wanders #776964 06/24/13 09:12 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard

Also interesting is that he's the first Legionnaire after Brainiac 5, Shrinking Violet and Mon-El to not have a Boy/Girl/Lad/Lass/Kid name.

Although, he was introduced before Princess Projectra was.

Eryk Davis Ester #776971 06/24/13 09:23 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally Posted by Eryk Davis Ester
Re: Evolvo Lad's powers, it's worth noting that his powers seem to be based on an orthogenetic conception of evolution, which was a fairly respectable alternative to Darwinian accounts of evolution in the early 20th century (and features in quite a bit of Golden Age sci fi, such as Hamilton's works), but was quickly falling out of favor by the time this story was published.

You still see it in any story involving evolution. I remember one particularly disturbing Star Trek Voyager episode where two crew members evolve, independently but identically, into future human forms as if evolution were a single train track that living things inevitably follow.

With characters like Evolvo Lad who became more interesting in later series I just shrug my shoulders and get on with the story.

He Who Wanders #776974 06/24/13 09:37 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
All good points, Set. Still, powers such as making objects come to life or duplicating any other super-power sound like they might have been suggested by a very young reader. When I was first reading Legion stories at age 9-10, I would create characters with similar powers who sounded cool to me or embodied some concept or word I'd learned. One I remember was Halt Lad, who could make objects stop in motion. (Actually, that's not a bad idea, now that I think about it.)

There was a character with a very similar power, accurately named Inertia, in the 1985 Squadron Supreme miniseries. She had the ability to absorb the inertia from someone or thing, halting them in their tracks, and then give that inertia to something else forcing them to suddenly move in a different direction. Her power was used quite effectively.

Eryk Davis Ester #776975 06/24/13 09:50 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
ADV 324

I agree that this seems a fairly well written story. The pacing and the split between intro and plot balance well.

Yes they do seem a bit gullible but no more so than most stories around then.

I too enjoyed seeing Colossal Boy battle Duplicate Boy and wondered if it inspired the later story.

As for Duplicate Boy using multiple powers at the same time this story is the only time I remember seeing it happen when he uses Superboy's heat vision to light the sticks on fire while shrunk down to Vi's size. It actually surprised me to read it. And yes it does potentially make him unbelievably powerful. However in all his appearances he seems to have to consciously think about using a power so perhaps that is his Achilles' heel. A surprise attack would take him out pretty quick, and if he is panicked or not thinking clearly he is unlikely to make good use of it.

Oh, and the old "I can't understand how a girl as pretty as Shrinking Violet could be one of the tyrannical Super-heroes." Haven't our ideas reversed. These days if a woman (it's usually female although there have been male cases) is noted as being exceptionally attractive we are all meant to wonder what their secret agenda is. In it's own way that's as bad as the "ugly is evil" stereotype.

Cobalt Kid #776976 06/24/13 10:32 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Adventure #325

The opening panel on page 7, part 2 is magnificent. The entire Legion surrounding Luthor. Someone must post it! Really fantastic!

I think this is the one you meant, right? It is a great scene, and is it just me or does it look more Curt Swan-ish than the darker and stiffer usual John Forte-ish?

[Linked Image]

Cobalt Kid #776978 06/24/13 10:49 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Adventure #325

It occurs to me that a totally awesome idea would have been for a pre-accident Luthor to have become an honorary member of the Legion. Thus, his turn towards villainy, which the Legion would know about in advance, would be all the more tragic. In a post-Smallville world, which awesomely played up the Clark / Lex friendship, this would be a fantastic story arc.

In his first few panels, this really comes across, though later in the story you learn its all a ruse. But what if...?!!

I agree this would have been a fabulous idea. In fact my own reading of this story has always been annoyed at it having to be a bald Lex revealed and thus is evil. What if this were Lex from a parallel universe (we even have Cham from a parallel universe in this very story) who is evil tricky even though he hasn't lost his hair? Or what about a good Lex who in the story does lose his hair but stays good and the Legionnaires manage to restore it but only temporarily? No I like your version best, this is good Lex and his future (past?) is known and can't be changed but these are his adventures with LSH when he was a boy (a good boy!).

The Legionnaires are having fun goofing around and showing a side we haven't seen much of yet.

I wonder how the rest of the rest of the monorail passengers feel about Cos's trick. "Blast that stupid kid is doing it again!" Wonder if the SP are on his case?

Brainy then mumbles so quasi-science mumbo-jumbo that made my head hurt. Er, ok Brainy.

I love this bit! Great stuff. I wish they did it more.
[Linked Image]

Not one of the greatest stories but some great moments. Really, let's punsih him by letting him go home embarrassed? STill I always liked Lex's space/time ship. Very different and quite cool. Wonder if he will make one for me?

Cobalt Kid #776980 06/24/13 10:53 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Adventure #325

Special bonus: this issue answers my question a few pages earlier and presents excerpts from the Legion Constitution! Very cool!

It establishes that the manner in which the annual Legion elections shall be held will be determined by a vote of 3/4 of the LSH membership. Explaining how the Eight Impossible Missions could fit into what's been established.

Hey, great catch! Your post was worth reading just for this.

Eryk Davis Ester #776988 06/25/13 01:14 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Adv 326

Interestingly I remember this story much better than the later Thora one since it was another that I read early and multiple times in a B&W reprint.

Many have spoken of the sexist messages in the story and how they detract from it today. I don't find them quite as bad. In many ways it's the girls who are shown as clever and inventive and powerful in this story while the boys are too caught up in their hormones to think straight. That's the sort of joke we still make today (Big Bang Theory anyone?). Let's look:

Saturn Girl directs the returning boys to go on a further month long mission (presumably they were still under the limit of space missions established in the Sun Boy story) with a plausible if briefly stated reason. The boys obey without questioning. This could be seen as loyalty and obedience to their chosen leader so a tick for the boys, but it still comes off at least a bit gullible and is a plus for Imra's leadership abilities.

The girls have detailed plans for which boys they will doom and how they will do it. As was written above, they divide and conquer. Knowing what males are like (now I'm being sexist but as a member of the gender I think I can say it) the girls plan to distract the boys with romance - and it works. As also noted only Jan appears to fight back when Cos could probably grab something magnetic outside the box and surely Brainy's force field could break them out. (BTW I'm surprised wooden match boxes still exist in the 30th C. Perhaps Luornu asked Kara to bring it from the past.)

Even the writers's use of Femnez shows an interesting role reversal with militant women and passive peaceful men. Yes at the end the women "realise the error of their ways" and invite the men back, but it seems to me that both sides are at fault here and the men were acting pretty wimpy complaining to the women about their practices but not doing anything about it. How the two sexes resolve their differences is not shown and it may have resulted in a more equitable society than we have today. I get the criticism that it shows the women of Femnaz as foolish and needing the male wisdom, but I don't think that it has to be taken to apply to women or men in general, especially after seeing how the two genders of legionnaires behave in the story.

Moving past that issue as a young male I found lots of fun in the story (surprise, surprise) and always thought the cutest image was Kara doing the twist although I admit to wondering if Salu was shown wearing dark panties or was that just the shadow from her skirt.

The various boys reactions are hilarious and frankly not too far from reality. Males, particularly young males, even if they normally have certain principles of not dashing off with every "bird in the forest" (an admittedly sexist phrase), still tend to react a certain way when an opportunity presents itself. It's fun that the only two kisses that don't happen are with the super kids - guess they didn't want to interfere with 20C romances.

Oh and I have to wonder do all the statues in the park have bazooka rayguns in them like Light Lass's?

Eryk Davis Ester #777001 06/25/13 01:48 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Sup 117

Silly. Forgetable. Boring frankly. I didn't like this one (although I agree the Curt Swan art is nice).

Each legionnaire was shown using his powers once but most;y not very impressively.

"Superboy's greatest ability here is to stop time." Ha! I like that. He does fit an amazing amount into those panels which seem to take forever.

As has been noted much more could have been made of this story, but I guess it was just an 8 page filler and that's all we got.

stile86 #777007 06/25/13 06:13 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Originally Posted by stile86
Adventure #325

The opening panel on page 7, part 2 is magnificent. The entire Legion surrounding Luthor. Someone must post it! Really fantastic!

I think this is the one you meant, right? It is a great scene, and is it just me or does it look more Curt Swan-ish than the darker and stiffer usual John Forte-ish?

[Linked Image]
That's it! Thanks Stile!

Really fantastic job by Forte. I can see the Swan influence too. Perhaps one of Swan's inkers stepped in to assist?

Last edited by Cobalt Kid; 06/25/13 06:15 AM.
Eryk Davis Ester #777008 06/25/13 06:42 AM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
People need to say 'Awp!' more often.

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
Eryk Davis Ester #777009 06/25/13 06:47 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
All the discussion about androids above makes me think, how well are androids really supposed to approximate human thought and emotion? Is it realistic for such to happen in a science fiction setting? We have the 20th century Red Tornado for one, who is able to care for Kathy Sutton and Traya. And then we have Karth Arn, and Brin Londo not even knowing that he isn't an android despite the thoughts and emotions he has. Whew.

Invisible Brainiac #777024 06/25/13 09:33 AM

"What we have here is a failure to communicate"--or to define terms precisely. smile

Brin was not a Legionnaire in this story, whatever the story title. So, while your statement is correct, it is incomplete as it implies that he was the next Legionnaire to join without the standard style of code name. It would have been more accurate to say he was the first Legionnaire to be introduced without such a code name.

Thank you, thank you. No applause, please.

For my next trick, I will lecture on the nuances of the semi-colon. wink

He Who Wanders #777029 06/25/13 10:58 AM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S

A semi-colon is what you have left after an incomplete colonectomy, right? :>

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
He Who Wanders #777032 06/25/13 12:42 PM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
[Linked Image]

My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War .
Eryk Davis Ester #777038 06/25/13 03:19 PM
Set and Reboot: laugh laugh

The semi-colon is actually a very useful piece of punctuation, and when people misuse it (which they do frequently), it stands out like a Khund in a Gil'Dishpan colony.

If anyone's interested, here's an article I wrote on the proper use of the semi-colon.

Set #777040 06/25/13 04:21 PM
Deputy
Deputy
Originally Posted by Set
People need to say 'Awp!' more often.

There is a bill working its way through Congress that addresses this.

He Who Wanders #777083 06/26/13 01:33 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Set and Reboot: laugh laugh

The semi-colon is actually a very useful piece of punctuation, and when people misuse it (which they do frequently), it stands out like a Khund in a Gil'Dishpan colony.

If anyone's interested, here's an article I wrote on the proper use of the semi-colon.

Thanks, HWW! I learned something new today.

"What we have here is a failure to communicate"--or to define terms precisely. smile

Brin was not a Legionnaire in this story, whatever the story title.

I blame the story title for all our confusion wink

Last edited by Invisible Brainiac; 06/26/13 04:18 AM.
Page 13 of 15 1 2 11 12 13 14 15

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,021
Posts1,045,196
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Frog King
Frog King
Berlin