Roll Call
0 members (), 25 Murran Spies, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/09/24 08:34 AM
Kill This Thread LII - The End of the Deck of Cards
by Ann Hebistand - 05/09/24 06:41 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/09/24 03:04 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/09/24 03:03 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/09/24 03:03 AM
Legion Trivia 6
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/08/24 10:58 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/08/24 05:47 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11
Re: Re-Reading the Legion: Archives #5
Lard Lad #782495 08/05/13 08:50 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
ADV 343

Conclusion: I expected spooky eye critters and I was totally amused by that drawing Bouncing Boy carried around. Interpretations of other civilizations are some of my favorite scenes and this issue is a cornucopia. We get to see some of my favorite supporting cast: the Legion "Pets."

p1. cool beans.
p2. Legionnaires plunder archeological treasures for profit and there conveniently happens to be an emergency dive lever where it can be accidentally bumped almost every time someone uses the ship. Who would make that? Who would BUY that? This page is the perfect example of something I've mentioned I do NOT like, dumbing down the heroes in order to try and move a plot.

p3 EVERY character has unique facial features. Love the art.
p4 Some characterization for future writers to play with.
p5 taught me to always look where I was going when flying through a city.

Legion Outpost: So THAT's where he got his LW ID. lol
PSA: Cabbage did me in. I'd have had a perfect score.

p13 That's not bad luck. That's a ninja!
p14 How amazingly consistent the drawings on the temple are with the luck beliefs of other planets, described earlier in the issue.
p 16 DOH! I thought it was going to be that thieving archeologist. Check out that look on Comet's face. That's one po-ed horsey.

Second story: Pete Ross redeems himself from the previous story.

Cobalt Kid #782496 08/05/13 08:54 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally Posted by Cobalt Kid
Adventure #343

In general, I've never cared much for the concept of the Luck Lords, and in fact don't really like the idea of "luck" or probability in general for super-characters. (Maybe I missed a really great Longshot story?). The one great exception, of course, is Calamity King and a certain LW poster that came up with a groovy way to do it.
Probability and luck would be different things I think. I do like "luck" depicted as one of the natural energies of the universe. Logic, magic, luck,.. things like that to divvy up what makes life move. The great hunt for a unification theory, would be a good Brainy Story IMO.

Lard Lad #782507 08/05/13 09:27 AM
Leader
Leader
I think a lot of Imra's "personality" in these early stories was attributed to her simply because of the rather sterile silver age exposition that was used in the dialogue and since she was the most often featured of the girls she was the one who got the lion's (or lioness's) share of the dialogue, making her seem more "strictly business" than the other girls. Later writers built on this of course and explained that she had to act cold and unemotional to avoid being overwhelmed by the emotions of those around her via her telepathic abilities.

Buy my new graphic novel!
http://www.dodeka12.com
Lard Lad #782508 08/05/13 09:29 AM
Leader
Leader
Oops. I missed a whole page of discussion! I was responding to Cramer's post on the last page.

jimgallagher #782523 08/05/13 10:06 AM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
Tip: If you don't want to quote the post you're replying to, using the "Reply" or "Quick Reply" still means that the little "[Re: *]" beside the post title links back to the post you're replying to, to avoid these little whoopses smile

My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War .
Cobalt Kid #782527 08/05/13 10:28 AM
L
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
L
Even crazier: some dude claims he's a superhero known as...Lard Lad!!! I shit you not! Did we know about this and discuss it years ago? Do we need to track this dude down for a fight to the death?!

Say whaaaaaaaat?!?! ElasticLad

Wasn't me, man. Wasn't even ALIVE back then!

Who the hell WAS this imposter?!?! mad

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
Lard Lad #782528 08/05/13 10:31 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Maybe its a time traveling you?!

Cobalt Kid #782530 08/05/13 10:34 AM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Adventure #343
In general, I've never cared much for the concept of the Luck Lords, and in fact don't really like the idea of "luck" or probability in general for super-characters. (Maybe I missed a really great Longshot story?). The one great exception, of course, is Calamity King and a certain LW poster that came up with a groovy way to do it.

Luck powers seem to be something most comic book writers don't get, or don't handle well, since *all* comic book characters, pretty much by default, have ridiculous streaks of awesome or awful luck, as the needs of the story dictate.

Indeed, for some heroes, 'hard luck' is part of their schtick at times, with Spider-Man, Nova, the Thing or Booster Gold sometimes having really bad days when the one gizmo they were counting on fails at the worst possible time, or they get blamed for something, or some other person gets the credit for one of their accomplishments.

With that sort of luck-as-drama built into the storytelling, a character whose *power* is luck has an uphill struggle to shine, as the freakishly improbable one in a million long-shot is not only probable, but kind of the rule, in a comic book universe.

That said, my favorite luck-based super-character was Talisman, from the Justice Machine.

At one point, he's being held hostage with some sort of energy gun to his head, and the leader of his hero team just shook his head and said to the villain, 'No deal. Go ahead and shoot him.' The villain did so, and the gun misfired and blew out the power to the room, leading to the heroes making short work of them. 'I knew he couldn't actually shoot you without *something* going wrong...'

Ah, the pre-Image days of Independent comics, the Justice Machine, the Elementals, the Southern Knights...

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
Cobalt Kid #782533 08/05/13 10:42 AM
Leader
Leader
AThe panels posted by Lance do a great job showing this: Nura and Thom are shown to the tender, vulnerable and caring, and therefore more romantic with a heavy, tense atmosphere. Meanwhile Imra is stiff and formal; it's almost as if she's acting the way she thinks she should act, instead of showing how she really feels.

Uh, No. That would be me.

Blockade Boy #782534 08/05/13 10:46 AM
Leader
Leader
Originally Posted by Blockade Boy
I'll occasionally still "catch" myself just reading the words.

Gon was a real eye opener for me. No words at all.the story and trust that the artist can convey and the reader will perceive the rest.

I LOVE pages without text. I included many in my own graphic novel. IMHO it's much more effective at setting the tone of the story than to belabor it with a lot of words.

Reboot #782535 08/05/13 10:52 AM
Leader
Leader
Thanks, Reboot.

Fat Cramer #782536 08/05/13 11:00 AM
Leader
Leader
Originally Posted by Fat Cramer

The Star Boy trial story was a mix of great and questionable for me. The actual vote, while adding to the tension of the story, annoyed me because of the "all the girls voted for romance" explanation. Also, Saturn Girl voted and it seemed to me that the judge should not vote.

It always seemed cold to me to show Star Boy which members voted for or against him, though of course the fans would want to know.

Lard Lad #782537 08/05/13 11:03 AM
L
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
L
To add to my own thoughts about writing vs. art in comics, I WILL say that modern comics have maybe gone too far in how much they've generally cut words out. Omniscient narrative captions are increasingly rare and thought-bubbles virtually non-existent these days. While I don't think it's necessary to explain things that are drawn for you and plain to see, I think narration can set a tone and allow the writer's voice to be expressed. And, of course, it gives the reader a little more bang for his or her buck by extending the experience. And if you have only a so-so artist failing to convey or add nuances to a text-lite script, the book is not going to entertain the reader.

jimgallagher #782538 08/05/13 11:09 AM
L
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
L
Originally Posted by jimgallagher
Originally Posted by Fat Cramer

The Star Boy trial story was a mix of great and questionable for me. The actual vote, while adding to the tension of the story, annoyed me because of the "all the girls voted for romance" explanation. Also, Saturn Girl voted and it seemed to me that the judge should not vote.

It always seemed cold to me to show Star Boy which members voted for or against him, though of course the fans would want to know.

I thought it was a good choice and a bold one. Look at all the discussion the vote has sparked here as we speculate as to their reasons for voting the way they did. And those contemporary readers who were devastated by Thom's expulsion might have found themselves suddenly disliking those who voted against him.

jimgallagher #782539 08/05/13 11:10 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Originally Posted by jimgallagher
AThe panels posted by Lance do a great job showing this: Nura and Thom are shown to the tender, vulnerable and caring, and therefore more romantic with a heavy, tense atmosphere. Meanwhile Imra is stiff and formal; it's almost as if she's acting the way she thinks she should act, instead of showing how she really feels.

Uh, No. That would be me.
Sorry Jim. I knew it was you too, when I was typing that. The perils of posting from your phone.

Cobalt Kid #782540 08/05/13 11:11 AM
L
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
L
Maybe its a time traveling you?!

Heh. No. If it was me, I would have elbowed my way into the story, not settled for the lettercol! wink

Lard Lad #782541 08/05/13 11:13 AM
Leader
Leader
Sorry Jim. I knew it was you too, when I was typing that. The perils of posting from your phone.

You're Forgiven Lad. It is odd that you wrote Lance though. I don't think he's even been on this thread.

Lard Lad #782542 08/05/13 11:39 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
I was reading a totally different thread right before. In my head I was saying "Jim" but typing "Lance". Unfortunately there's only a handful of people who are actually posting here!

Anyway, well done on picking two panels to compare! (Twice). Now you should post one of Nura in the cape!

Lard Lad #782543 08/05/13 11:44 AM
L
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
L
The Luck Lords story.....hm. Not a fan, even after the re-read. Too many storytelling leaps. The power of the Luck Lords is ill-defined and just too unbelievable from that distance. If they had that much power, they could have done a lot more than just run their racket.

Then, there was the leap of the Luck Lords taking a pre-emptive strike against the Legion. Wouldn't it have been easier for them to take out the people who were going to call the LSH in? (This one's more of a caveat, I suppose.)

And Imra's leap to investigate Thaun is cheap and unearned. Let's face it...it was a storytelling shortcut! Very flimsy evidence leads to the story's solution. There really needed to be a smoking gun of some sort to earn that showdown.

Don't misunderstand--there've certainly been worse Legion stories. But it's clear the idea behind the story was to play with the idea of superstition in readers. It wasn't all that creatively done, and the story was obviously secondary to the idea. I also think the Legionnaires recently affected by loss could have been played up a little better.

You've done sooo much better, Hamilton! RobinIII

Swan did a creditable job, though, with his designs for the Thaun citadel and vicinity and some of the more way-out things like the rainbows of Jupiter being stand-outs. I also liked the masks the Luck Lords wear. They were kinda creepy and a little ahead of their time. Lots of continued good work on facial expressions as well. More reason to affirm that Swan is one of my two favorite Silver Age artists (the other being John Romita).

Continuity note: More instances of Imra's prominent pointy side-boobage, particularly on page 7, panel 3! Styx

Last edited by Paladin; 08/05/13 08:04 PM.

Lard Lad #782558 08/05/13 07:11 PM
Leader
Leader
I think the "Super Pets save the day ending" was too easy and too cliched. Already been done in The Legion of Super Traitors AND The Condemned Legionnaires. "Oh, gee. Our powers don't work on animals. We give up." It could've been a nice chance for some of the weaker members to shine. How cool would it have been if Lu, Vi, and the Kid had taken out the Luck Lords, after the more powerful, Imra, Garth, and Jan were taken out of action? Also, what's up with that one panel where Imra says, "There's one more bad guy in another room." It served no purpose.

Lard Lad #782559 08/05/13 07:15 PM
Leader
Leader
Because Cobie demanded it! I always thought Jan and Nura would make a cute couple.

Attached Images DG.jpg

Lard Lad #782565 08/05/13 08:13 PM
in hiding
in hiding
Is this another Siegel story?

First comic books ever bought: A DC four-for-47-cents grab bag that included Adventure #331. The rest is history.
Lard Lad #782568 08/05/13 08:17 PM
L
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
L
No, the Luck Lords story is credited to Hamilton.

Lard Lad #782585 08/05/13 10:41 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Originally Posted by Paladin
To add to my own thoughts about writing vs. art in comics, I WILL say that modern comics have maybe gone too far in how much they've generally cut words out. Omniscient narrative captions are increasingly rare and thought-bubbles virtually non-existent these days.

I miss thought bubbles as well, especially when the scenes feature only one character. Thought bubbles give us some nice insight into their personalities.

Cobalt Kid #782586 08/05/13 10:43 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Adventure #343

Bonus Lettercol Review: Mort clarifies that Imra was appointed Deputy Leader by Brainy in response to a fan question about who is the leader, anyway? It seems like he just makes it up on the spot, accidentally kicking off a long term Legion tradition!

I wouldn't be surprised. The Imra-Brainy dynamic so far has shown that, even though these two are sometimes at odds, they hold great respect for one anothr and have a pretty deep friendship to boot.

Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,021
Posts1,045,222
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
cleome57
cleome57
Vanity, OR