Roll Call
1 members (Eryk Davis Ester), 40 Murran Spies, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Ann Hebistand - 04/28/24 07:19 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/28/24 02:51 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/28/24 02:50 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/28/24 02:49 AM
Legion of Super-Heroes #7 (2020) - Preview and Spoilers
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 10:06 AM
The 2nd All Avengers Thread
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 10:04 AM
So, what are you listening to?
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 06:34 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/27/24 02:11 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
LSH #23 Preview and Review [SPOILERS!]
#783610 08/16/13 09:04 PM
BridYYC Offline OP
Applicant
OP Offline
Applicant

Last edited by Dave Hackett; 08/21/13 09:59 AM.
Re: LSH #23 Preview
BridYYC #783621 08/16/13 11:18 PM
Active
Active
I'm not surprised Star Boy ended up dying. The foreshadowing by him in #16 was way to blatant. Nice to see Colossial Boy back in the ranks and for him to mention Yera. Perhaps the Legion Lost team will return this issue... Or not?!?

This will be an interesting read, if nothing more than to put a fitting book cover on the end of 50+ years of Legion history. This may very well be the last time we see the original/retro-boot Legion, so I'm going to savor every last panel as I say goodbye.

Last edited by Leather Wolf; 08/16/13 11:32 PM.
BridYYC #783632 08/17/13 03:02 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Sad, in the first pages and as the final issue.

But lovely artwork!

Holy Cats of Egypt!
BridYYC #783659 08/17/13 07:28 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
There goes my "Star Boy might have used his powers to make himself super-dense in order to survive" theory.

BridYYC #783664 08/17/13 10:46 AM
Active
Active
If the Legion is revived at some point (& I hope that doesn't happen under the current DC braintrust) I hope that Kevin Maguire is chosen for the art. I remember when killing a character was a rarity, now it seems to be all too commonplace and I think a contributing factor in the failure of the re & threeboots.

BridYYC #783667 08/17/13 05:02 PM
And then there was steak!
And then there was steak!
Art so pretty! I know in going to want to hug Brainy by the end of this. How sad that the legion should end this way.

BridYYC #783710 08/18/13 01:16 AM
Leader
Leader
It is nice art. Too bad it's the last issue.

Buy my new graphic novel!
http://www.dodeka12.com
BridYYC #783786 08/18/13 02:04 PM
space mutineer & purveyor of quality sammitches
I'm torn between being irritated that of course it must be all about Brainiac 5 one last time... and thinking that at least his pose on the cover accurately reflects the feelings of everyone who saw this thing through to the end (not to mention those of us who couldn't be bothered to)...

tongue

Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on DeviantArt! Drop by and tell me that I sent you. *updated often!*
BridYYC #783936 08/19/13 10:33 AM
G
Substitute
Substitute
G
Say what you will but at least DC is letting them go out with style (artistically so, at any rate).

RIP, guys.

BridYYC #783942 08/19/13 01:38 PM
Space Fatigue Survivor
Space Fatigue Survivor
Liking the art! The first few pages feature some Legionnaires I wish I could have seen more of (Jacques, Polar Boy, Sensor, Gim, and Nura). I'm with those who could have used a break from Brainy and the Founding Three.

Didn't Mr. Maguire recently say (after he was dismissed from JL3000 duties) that he would have loved to be on a premier DC title? I can't help think that if he had come on earlier, instead of the one-shot Mr Giffen fiasco, the title might still be going, and with his consistent contribution he would have helped make it a top title.

Celebrating 10+ years of Legion Worldness
Kid Quislet #783945 08/19/13 05:20 PM
Active
Active
Originally Posted by Kid Quislet
Liking the art! The first few pages feature some Legionnaires I wish I could have seen more of (Jacques, Polar Boy, Sensor, Gim, and Nura). I'm with those who could have used a break from Brainy and the Founding Three.

Didn't Mr. Maguire recently say (after he was dismissed from JL3000 duties) that he would have loved to be on a premier DC title? I can't help think that if he had come on earlier, instead of the one-shot Mr Giffen fiasco, the title might still be going, and with his consistent contribution he would have helped make it a top title.

How true! Maguire on art would have most certainly helped... but not much because we heard fans asking, begging for cancellation of the title because they didn't like the writing or the Retroboot Legion period. While it would have been cool to have Maguire drawing the Legion instead of the second rate artists DC gave us, the title still would have been cancelled because nobody was buying the title thinking it was crap!

BridYYC #783952 08/19/13 06:46 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I like his panel layout. Gives the splashes without losing pace. Of course I imagine that has a lot to do with the writer. Artist can only fill the pages if the writer gives them something to draw. I HATE when splashes are obviously nothing more than "we don't have enough plot for this issue."

Leather Wolf #783960 08/19/13 08:31 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Originally Posted by Leather Wolf
...but not much because we heard fans asking, begging for cancellation of the title because they didn't like the writing or the Retroboot Legion period. While it would have been cool to have Maguire drawing the Legion instead of the second rate artists DC gave us, the title still would have been cancelled because nobody was buying the title thinking it was crap!

Leather Wolf, I've noticed often that you tend to play the "Blame Game" and, directly or indirectly, blame the cancellation of the title on those here who expressed displeasure for the direction it has taken over the past few years. It's fair to say that most of the sentiment on this site has been negative toward the run. However, few of us "asked" or "begged" for cancellation. And many, like me, continued to buy the book out of sheer loyalty, even when we might have ordinarily just dropped any other book we felt similarly about.

Now, we have 1620 registered members here on Legion World. Of those, less than ten percent post actively. And of those active posters, maybe half have spoken up and posted negatively about the past couple of Levitz-helmed volumes. Of those, some have said they've dropped the book, but many more have said they would stick it out 'til the bitter end.

So your conceit that the people on this board have somehow killed the Legion is based on more than one logical fallacy. We of Legion World did not in any way kill the Legion. Even if we could somehow do that, the number of active posters would not be enough to impact sales significantly to prevent or cause cancellation.

I've bit my tongue to this point, but I've found your repeated insinuations to be pretty offensive. I don't blame you for being bitter about the Legion's cancellation--few here are not at least somewhat bitter about it--but you are grossly misplacing the blame, my friend. It's my sincere hope that you will be mindful of this in the future.

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
BridYYC #783968 08/19/13 09:29 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Um well, not to play peacemaker or anything, because that's definitely not my style, he did say "fans" not "LW." And that's probably right because really, it's such a niche book only "fans" would be buying it, or not buying it for that matter.

We DID kill Legion, We DID!!! Bra ha ha (how many "ha's" should there be?)

BridYYC #783971 08/19/13 09:38 PM
Active
Active
I'm sorry to offend. It's just a trend that I've seen on several comic related websites around the Internet that people didn't like this run of the Legion at all. That's not an accusation, just a statement. If people don't like a title, and don't buy a title, then DC will and has cancelled a title. No top quality art by Kevin Maguire will change that fact. Gorgeous artwork is not enough to make people want to buy the Legion if they've already made up their minds that the current run is crappy. Yet crappy art on top of dislike of writing and story direction will bring death a whole lot quicker. In my opinion that's what happen with Legion after Portela left the book. Legion got all the second rate guys to draw the last couple of arcs.

I know I saw on other sites (not Legion World) a lot of posts by fans who got excited that Giffen was coming on board, and then saying they'd drop the title even before his first issue, just because they heard that he had already dropped out of the creative team. These posters said that they would only buy Legion because of Giffen, not Levitz because of how poorly this current run has been received.

The truth is Legion and Legion Lost were doomed because of poor sales. A fair amount of Legion fans didn't like either book, and non-Legion fans just don't care. Perhaps no matter how much we all love this title, the Legion franchise has missed it's chance to be a viable title anymore. I'm not going to fret much. I got a couple more years worth of comics added to my collection because of the current run. If this is the end of the Legion then so be it.

Last edited by Leather Wolf; 08/19/13 09:52 PM.
BridYYC #783975 08/19/13 09:50 PM
I wouldn't say that I disliked all of what happened this time around, Leather Wolf. I would say that the stuff I liked wasn't enough to justify the expense involved in following the book(s) all the way through to the end.

Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on DeviantArt! Drop by and tell me that I sent you. *updated often!*
Leather Wolf #783982 08/19/13 10:22 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Originally Posted by Blockade Boy
Um well, not to play peacemaker or anything, because that's definitely not my style, he did say "fans" not "LW."

BB, there's no war firing up in the first place.

The reply was not so much to this post as it was to a certain recurring theme in Leather Wolf's postings, some of which were more direct towards others in threads expressing dissenting opinions about the book and seemingly laying the responsibility of the cancellation on them.

I'm sorry to offend. It's just a trend that I've seen on several comic related websites around the Internet that people didn't like this run of the Legion at all. That's not an accusation, just a statement. If people don't like a title, and don't buy a title, then DC will and has cancelled a title. No top quality art by Kevin Maguire will change that fact. Gorgeous artwork is not enough to make people want to buy the Legion if they've already made up their minds that the current run is crappy. Yet crappy art on top of dislike of writing and story direction will bring death a whole lot quicker. In my opinion that's what happen with Legion after Portela left the book. Legion got all the second rate guys to draw the last couple of arcs.

I know I saw on other sites (not Legion World) a lot of posts by fans who got excited that Giffen was coming on board, and then saying they'd drop the title even before his first issue, just because they heard that he had already dropped out of the creative team. These posters said that they would only buy Legion because of Giffen, not Levitz because of how poorly this current run has been received.

The truth is Legion and Legion Lost were doomed because of poor sales. A fair amount of Legion fans didn't like either book, and non-Legion fans just don't care. Perhaps no matter how much we all love this title, the Legion franchise has missed it's chance to be a viable title anymore. I'm not going to fret much. I got a couple more years worth of comics added to my collection because of the current run. If this is the end of the Legion then so be it.

Leather Wolf, whether it was your intent or not, the resentment (if that's the best word to use here) towards other fans is misplaced. The internet is here for people to voice their opinions and have them heard by lots of people, and this can be very trying if you let the negativity get to you. But in the end, those people do not bear the responsibility for the book's cancellation. If DC couldn't put out a book that's successful and work to make it as appealing as possible, I'd say it's ultimately on DC.

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
BridYYC #783985 08/19/13 10:46 PM
Active
Active
This is where I wish DC had their old Legion Outpost letter columns in play. In the old days if people didn't like the direction a comic was taking, they'd write a bunch of letters to the books writers and editors and tell them that their product was crap. Nowadays folks express their likes and dislikes on various comic book related websites and fans look for positive or negative buzz about a book. That buzz can help formulate an opinion on whether to pick up a particular title (just like Rotten Tomatoes does with movies). Yet, there doesn't seem to be any direct communication between fans and comic creators. If there had, maybe DC corporate would have stopped and taken notice. As it is, our complaints fall on deaf ears and our praises really don't matter either.

BridYYC #784001 08/20/13 02:32 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
It would be nice for us to be able to address the creators directly, although if they really cared they could make time to check the many sites out there. I do agree with you that it's a darned shame that DC couldn't "fix" the Legion earlier, and it had to come to cancellation.

BridYYC #784003 08/20/13 03:57 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I will continue to buy a book that I've not enjoyed, if I'm a "fan" of that team or writer. History tells me often stories turn or change and having those issues I didn't like, was key to enjoying the whole. I'm more patient $$$, with characters I am fan of, while other books would be one and done.

Similar for anyone else?

If I enjoy the personalities of the fan board, participation in a fan board makes the stories more enjoyable for me but doesn't mean TO ME that I'm obligated to buy something I continue to dislike or even more, not respect.

I dropped Legion once because I came to disrespect the writer, from things said on a message board. This time I dropped Legion because I came to disrespect the direction. It happens. In neither case would I have wanted the writer to use a fan board to determine their writing and direction.

Please just write the best story you can and let the chips fall where they may. I think that's what Paul Levitz did, within the corporate environment, and it just didn't work. The most fan favorite artist in the world probably wouldn't have changed its fate.

Corporate environment is going to try again with the "not a Legion book," which just happens to be set in of all times, year 3000. lol. Good luck!

BridYYC #784010 08/20/13 07:53 AM
Leader
Leader
I have stuck with LSH thru thick and thin for over 40 years but after this last issue I'm done. I'm so disgusted with DC's mismanagement of the book for the last several incarnations that I just can't bring myself to care anymore. As I've said before, I have hundreds of old LSH books I can reread for the rest of my life. I won't continue buying a book that's been repeatedly run into the ground with bad writing, bad art, and poor editorial decisions.

Buy my new graphic novel!
http://www.dodeka12.com
Leather Wolf #784012 08/20/13 08:09 AM
G
Substitute
Substitute
G
Originally Posted by Kid Quislet

How true! Maguire on art would have most certainly helped... but not much because we heard fans asking, begging for cancellation of the title because they didn't like the writing or the Retroboot Legion period. While it would have been cool to have Maguire drawing the Legion instead of the second rate artists DC gave us, the title still would have been cancelled because nobody was buying the title thinking it was crap!

To be fair, it had been rapidly becoming so. The requests for cancellation were more along the lines of a mercy killing than anything else.

Last edited by Georgehaze; 08/20/13 08:10 AM.
BridYYC #784013 08/20/13 08:14 AM
K
Leader
Leader
K
I would like to point out that TPTB at DC are not merely deaf, but willfully deaf.

The comments on LSH #23 have been 'wiped' clean at least three times, apparently due to comments such as this:

"Yep they cancel LSH and we get yet another comic (Justice League 3000) that features Batman, Superman AGAIN! Enough already!"

"So it look like the Justice League 3000 is the replacement for the Legion now. I really hope the Legion that we know and love isn't gone forever :("

"why instead of cancelling DC doesn't improve the book? The LSH is a DC classic. A real symbolic and remarkable book. It should not be cancelled. what bad news."

...or maybe just too many people were commenting?

“I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal.” -- Groucho Marx
Klar Ken T5477 #784014 08/20/13 08:27 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally Posted by Klar Ken T5477
I would like to point out that TPTB at DC are not merely deaf, but willfully deaf.

The comments on LSH #23 have been 'wiped' clean at least three times, apparently due to comments such as this:

"Yep they cancel LSH and we get yet another comic (Justice League 3000) that features Batman, Superman AGAIN! Enough already!"

"So it look like the Justice League 3000 is the replacement for the Legion now. I really hope the Legion that we know and love isn't gone forever :("

"why instead of cancelling DC doesn't improve the book? The LSH is a DC classic. A real symbolic and remarkable book. It should not be cancelled. what bad news."

...or maybe just too many people were commenting?
Where were those comments occurring?

Blockade Boy #784015 08/20/13 08:43 AM
K
Leader
Leader
K
This is what is there right now. Three times this site has been wiped clean of comments.

http://www.dccomics.com/comics/legion-of-super-heroes-2011/legion-of-super-heroes-23

“I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal.” -- Groucho Marx
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,019
Posts1,044,972
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Lurker Lass
Lurker Lass
Somewhere in the Multi-verse