Roll Call
1 members (Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac, Invisible Brainiac), 56 Murran Spies, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/15/24 03:44 AM
Legion of Super-Heroes Fansets Pins
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/15/24 03:43 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/15/24 03:43 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/15/24 03:41 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/15/24 03:40 AM
Kill This Thread LIII - There's a Joker in Here!
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/15/24 03:39 AM
Errors on Main Forum Page
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/15/24 03:35 AM
Legion Worlds Nine updated 15 May 24
by Harbinger - 05/15/24 02:22 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 11 of 18 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 17 18
Re: When Legion Worlder met Legion Worlder......
Lard Lad #783088 08/10/13 10:54 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Just spent a wonderful day exploring Chicago in the company of Ms. Emily Sivana. I'll post a nice recap of our exploits tomorrow night when I'm home again after travel, but, for now - for those who have been following this thread recently - I feel that one component deserves immediate disclosure.

Within minutes of meeting Em, I had to ask her, "Say... how tall are you? Hmmm... you don't say?" At which point I dialed Lardy to tell him, "You're not the shortest!!!"

Congrats, Lardy... is that a load off, brother? smile

Exnihil #783091 08/10/13 11:02 PM
L
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
L
Originally Posted by Exnihil

Sort of---I mean it's mostly a male machismo thang, y'know? grin

(Say...does that mean Conjy's taller than me, too? gasp )

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
Lard Lad #783225 08/12/13 09:04 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Well, Conjy and I are the same height... so if I'm taller than you, then yeah. I think I'm taller, right? 5'6''?

But, in any case, speaking of height, it's time for the recap of my visit with the LMBer tiny enough that Dev could keep her in his pocket... Emily Sivana...

Chicago, Chicago, that toddlin' town...

[Linked Image]

So, as I mentioned above, I spent this past Saturday with Emily Sivana in my favorite city. Since she's a local, and since I've been there several times before doing the touristy things, we decided to hit a few spots that we'd either never been before, or hadn't been in a long time.

We kicked off the day at the Field Museum of Natural History, a fun place which houses very sort of "Night at the Museum" type exhibits - a hall of animals of the world, an recreation of an Egyptian tomb, a Tyrannosaurus Rex skeleton, that type of thing.

Have you ever been somewhere with someone who just knows tons of trivia about what you are looking at (or perhaps you are that person)? Well, when you and your companion are both that person... the results are fantastic. Emily is a wonderful person to go to a museum with, because she and I go head to head with our factoids. As I start going on about the number of bones in a giraffe's neck or the effects of human breath on cave paintings - she comes right back with common misconceptions about jade stones, or the history of the Han Dynasty.

After a couple hours at the Field, we headed uptown a bit to cool down at Buckingham Fountain (which I had only ever seen off-season) and checked out some of the free standing sculptures which are everywhere throughout the city. We then headed to Little Italy for dinner at the Italian Village Restaurant (the oldest Italian restaurant in Chicago - where Al Capone used to dine, and Frank Sinatra held his wedding reception). Perfect for a wannabe wiseguy like me!

We capped off the night checking out some of Chicago's famous architecture in the form of the Palmer House, an historic downtown hotel (the second largest in Chi-town) where folks as diverse as Ulysses Grant and Oscar Wilde have stayed. Here are Em and I in front of their famous brass elevator...

[Linked Image]

Em is a wonderful person to hang out with - so full of life and totally enthusiastic about the city. She and I have long been collaborators in our fiction writing, so, at one point, our conversation moved to our preconceived notions about one another. How much like our characters are we? Oddly, the biggest surprise to me was Em's voice. I've always written her as very dry and sarcastic to Ex, and sort of imagined she'd sound like "Daria" or something. Not at all... Em has a totally joyous voice, and is smiling all the time.

So what about me? She thought for a minute and said, "You're a lot cooler than I thought you'd be."

Yes! In your face, everyone else I've ever met in my life, ever! wink

Lard Lad #783367 08/14/13 12:00 AM
space mutineer & purveyor of quality sammitches
cool

BTW, Kent, if you're still posting, check in! I swear, I haven't been snubbing ya'... Just mega-busy. If you're still anywhere near chez_cleome, we should hang out again sometime. If you wanna', of course...

poke

Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on DeviantArt! Drop by and tell me that I sent you. *updated often!*
Lard Lad #783379 08/14/13 06:31 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Hi cleome! Been missin' you!

"Everything about this is going to feel different." (Saturn Girl, Legion of Super-Heroes #1)
Exnihil #783422 08/14/13 06:20 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Well, Conjy and I are the same height... so if I'm

But, in any case, speaking of height, it's time for the recap of my visit with the LMBer tiny enough that Dev could keep her in his pocket... Emily Sivana...

Ha. Just looked at the hright difference between you two, and I know how tall you were compared to me...so this might not be that far off base. wink

Active LMB character is still Beast Boy.

Lard Lad #783471 08/14/13 09:49 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally Posted by Paladin

Would it help if I told you I'm 4'8"?

"Everything about this is going to feel different." (Saturn Girl, Legion of Super-Heroes #1)
Legion Tracker #783474 08/14/13 09:54 PM
Originally Posted by Legion Tracker
Hi cleome! Been missin' you!

Dude! [smooch]

I spend all my time these days in Temp-ville or trying to whip my yard into shape. So far, the yard still looks like SensorGirled. However, my arm muscles are coming along nicely.

Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on DeviantArt! Drop by and tell me that I sent you. *updated often!*
Legion Tracker #783475 08/14/13 09:55 PM
L
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
L
Originally Posted by Legion Tracker

Would it help if I told you I'm 4'8"?

Depends on if it's true or if you're just trying to make me feel better, LT! grin

Lard Lad #783477 08/14/13 09:58 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Well, it's not true. wink

Lard Lad #783859 08/18/13 09:29 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
So glad that Lardy was able to join in on the fun with Ex this weekend.

Too cool.

Lard Lad #783867 08/18/13 09:56 PM
L
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
L
I must say, Dev...it was BEYOND awesome! nod

Lard Lad #783929 08/19/13 09:30 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I must say, Dev...it was BEYOND awesome! nod

Would you say it was"Extra-awesome"? wink

So, as you might have seen from the "100 Toothpicks" thread, I spent this past Saturday in Charleston, SC in the company of Legion World's elite G.R.I.T.S. squad (that's "Guys Raised In The South") - Lardy, Legion Tracker and Rickshaw.

I have to admit this one had me a little worried... not at all because of the folks, but because of the weather. In the few days leading up to it the forecast was looking miserable, basically calling for non-stop thunderstorms. Well... I guess I must bring the sunshine with me, because - apart from a few drops earlier in the day - it turned out completely rain-free!

I started the day meeting up with Legion Tracker (up for the day from Georgia) and touring a little of the downtown area (including the historic Charleston City Market where you can watch the locals hand-weaving Charleston's famous sweetgrass baskets) and then making our way to Patriots Point to catch a ferry for a tour of Ft. Sumter (where the Civil War officially began). The Sumter tour was very cool, and it was great hanging out with LT. The past few years I've been beginning to learn piano, but he's made his career as a musical educator, and it was very cool to get a chance to talk shop.

After the tour, we took a ride to Lardy's place of employment to stash a couple vehicles, picking him up as the three of us headed to the Charleston Battery (now a park) to meet up with Rick and his lovely wife, Carol. And... boom! Just like that, the long promised meet-up with those three finally happened. Though, of course, I was glad to be a part of it, the real treat for me was just seeing these good old boys together, their southern hospitality just coming to the forefront.

We gabbed a bit in the battery then headed off to dinner at a restaurant called "The Wreck of the Richard and Charlene". Here's a shot from dinner from Carol's vantage:

[Linked Image]

Such a good time! We just laughed and BSed through the whole meal (and for long enough after that the waitress had to subtly suggest that it was time to free up the table for another reservation). To have been a fly on the wall, you would have thought this group gets together every weekend as opposed to meeting each other for the first time. This is also where Lardy coined the perfect codename for the wife of "Cranky McBasstard"... "Snarky McBitch". smile

So, you might notice that the above pic is a little light on martinis. Turns out that restaurant only served beer and wine. No worries, I was just going to go with the flow, but - after dinner - Legion Tracker said no way... we had to make it official. Who am I to protest? So off we went for after-dinner drinks at the Shem Creek Bar and Grill, this cool place that has a dock-bar literally in the middle of the creek. (photo over on the Toothpick thread).

It was the perfect end to a perfect day with a perfect group of friends!

So... when are you guys getting together next? wink

Lard Lad #783938 08/19/13 10:55 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Just when things couldn't get any cooler...

Lard Lad #783941 08/19/13 12:53 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Oh! That reminds me... I forgot to mention my favorite quip of the day.

I mentioned earlier in this thread that when I met Emily two weeks ago she summed up our meeting by saying, "You're a lot cooler than I thought you'd be." Well, I forget what exactly we were talking about (careers or life goals or something) but, on the ferry ride back from Ft. Sumter, Legion Tracker turns toward me during a pause in the conversation and without missing a beat, says, "You know... you're a lot less cool than I thought you'd be."

lol Yup... Rick's got LT pegged... that boy is evil.

Lard Lad #783951 08/19/13 06:42 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
WAG: I'm not the oldest anymore?

Lard Lad #783959 08/19/13 08:29 PM
Leader
Leader
In the 100 Toothpicks thread, I keep reading the computer with the voice of Sheila from the cartoon "Shezow."

Lard Lad #783962 08/19/13 08:37 PM
L
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
L
Yeah, I think Ex and the computer have a "will they or won't they" thing going on.... wink

Lard Lad #783963 08/19/13 08:49 PM
L
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
L
And ooooooooooooohhhhhhhh, BY THE WAY! I suspected shenanigans re: the ongoing height thing, so I got a second opinion! LT and Cranky can confirm that I am actually slightly TALLER than one Mr. Nihil! nod

So, Ex: Kiss My G.R.I.T.S.!!! tease

Lard Lad #783966 08/19/13 09:06 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
How much did that cost ya?

tongue

Lard Lad #783967 08/19/13 09:08 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
^ Lardy, I can neither confirm nor deny that you're taller than Ex. It looked mighty close to me. And Cranky was looking down on both of you, so I wouldn't be sure of his eye.

Now you might consider asking Mrs. McBitch-McBasstard....if you dare. wink

Lard Lad #783970 08/19/13 09:34 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Hey, I was lookin' on from the nosebleed section. It was like the Lusitania looking at the Minnow II. wink

Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!
Lard Lad #783972 08/19/13 09:44 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
The Slicked truth is... Thomas, Anthony and Phillip are three very cool dudes and Carol and I had a great time meeting them. And while we all met because of comics, and the legion in particular, they were fun, funny and knowledgeable outside that single interest. Very cool ambassadors for Legionworld.

And LegionGRITS was a hit as far as i'm concerned.

Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!
Lard Lad #783981 08/19/13 10:22 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I gotta dial back the evil, twisted LT for a minute and tell you some good truth.

This past Saturday's meet-up was one of the flat out funnest days I've had in a long time!

I got to spend several hours with young Ex (we discovered that I'm the same age as his young dad) before we met Lardy and Rick. I've always liked his persona here on the boards, and now I have to say that I'm impressed with the real life guy. He's packing some good, adventurous living into his life, and he's letting us be a little part of it through this crazy project he's doing. I want to read his memoirs some day (you need to hear some of the stories he's already lived, if you haven't already) but I hope I have the privilege of hearing his new stories from time to time before then. Ex, you are definitely not a lot less cool than I thought you would be. wink

I met Lardy just a few minutes before we met up with Rick and Carol, so I had little "quiet" time with each of those three before the group dynamic kicked in. Ex was right, it was like we'd been getting together for years; you'd never know we were meeting for the first time. And if we lived close enough to each other, I'd definitely enjoy hanging out with them any weekend.

Everything I'd come to know and like of Lardy and Rick here on the boards was just real-er and more-er. They have big ol' brains and big ol' hearts, and with Ex and Carol, it felt to me that this was Legion, baby, and I'd be proud to go on a mission anywhere with these guys.

In three days I'll be celebrating 10 years since I registered on Legion World. For all those hours of following everybody via computer, this weekend was a great reward.

If I wasn't booked up with other tracking jobs (gotta pay the bills), I'd love to be tracking along with Ex to visit the rest of this team.

Long Live Legion World! nod

Lard Lad #784000 08/20/13 02:28 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Online Content
Unseen, not unheard
cheers to that!

Page 11 of 18 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 17 18

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,022
Posts1,045,327
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
Clovyr Crymsun Kid's Sidekick, timeless one
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Kinetix
Kinetix
Everywhere, nowhere...
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star