Roll Call
0 members (), 43 Murran Spies, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Kill This Thread LII - The End of the Deck of Cards
by thoth lad - 05/12/24 02:15 PM
Legion Trivia 6
by thoth lad - 05/12/24 02:14 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/11/24 09:37 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Eryk Davis Ester - 05/10/24 04:47 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:58 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:56 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:55 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: LSH #23 Preview and Review
Kid Quislet #784791 08/24/13 11:29 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Originally Posted by Kid Quislet
The Legion Academy stories and the Secret Origin 6-parter were good reading because of excellent art along with non-interference in the story (just compare Phantom Girl in the Secret Origin story to the Fatal Five drek!).

I disagree there. I suppose the Legion Academy stories were passable but less so after Jimenez left. Phil clearly injected that run with most of it's charm, and Paul was nearly rudderless without him.

Secret Origin, I felt was an absolute snooze-fest from start to finish. Batista put in a valiant effort, but nothing could save the meandering, lifeless script that Paul gave him.

My opinion, at least, for what it's worth.

Mr. Levitz is too much of a team player on DC to complain or point fingers on why the Legion results were poor. To the contrary, he was genuinely concerned with providing Legion fans hope the Legion was still alive in this final issue and could relaunch at a future time, while clearing the way for and promoting the upcoming JL3000 series. I think Mr. Levitz has treated DC better than it has treated him.

Totally agree there. I think Levitz also hangs in there as a DC company man because of their supporting his 75 Years of DC Comics: The Art of Modern Mythmaking book. Seems I read about him talking up some sequels to it, iirc.

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
BridYYC #784793 08/24/13 11:48 PM
Space Fatigue Survivor
Space Fatigue Survivor
In regard to this last issue, I really enjoyed the artwork. Kevin Maguire did a great job, and I would have loved to see more of his Legion vision.

I congratulate Paul Levitz on wrapping up this run in a competent and satisfactory manner, considering the one issue constraint placed upon him. Duplicate Damsel was a shining star, and having Colossal Boy back were favorite parts. Admittedly, I was disappointed how Star Boy's grave was not shown at all, even as Dream Girl was nearby. I would have also liked to have seen Phantom Girl do Something else else...

I agree with previous posters who said the "revelation" that our Legion has all along been on an alternate Earth, or pocket universe/different dimension/nether galactic realm/thingy is a real slap in the face by a gauntlet to all Legion fans and all creative teams who have built up and supported this terrific 50+ year monument of work to date.

Last edited by Kid Quislet; 08/24/13 11:50 PM.

Celebrating 10+ years of Legion Worldness
Emily Sivana #784795 08/24/13 11:54 PM
Honorary
Honorary
Originally Posted by Emily Sivana
Originally Posted by Knightsfyre

...First, this Legion is indeed from New Earth's future, and at some point between the present day and the 31st Century, a New Earth character named Steppenwolf will kill Kal-El. As indicated, I doubt DC editorial would allow Levitz (or anyone) to make such a significant plot prediction, especially as what really amounts to a throwaway line.

The only flaw in this theory is that the New Gods do not exist in the Multiverse. That is the in-universe explanation of why the majority of New Gods stories remained canon after Crisis of Infinite Earths. It is also used to explain how they are able to appear on any Earth they want in the NuDCU: they exist in a different dimension outside of the Multiverse.

If they really wanted to actually run with this plot point, and establish "Steppenwolf" as Superman's killer in some indeterminate point in Superman's future, they can just create a new character using the Steppenwolf name, without necessarily connecting him to the New Gods mythos at all. After all, "continuity be damned" seems to be one of DC Editorial's mottoes these days.

Kid Quislet #784797 08/24/13 11:58 PM
Honorary
Honorary
In the absence of knowing who else might have been involved in plotting or writing dialogue for the last issue, we really have no one other than Levitz to blame directly.

I disagree. I am convinced based on the (de)construction of the writing in some of this latest Legion version versus past history of previous stories by Mr. Levitz that he has been jerked around these last few years by DC's publishers and editorial edicts. The erratic storytelling is due to consistent intrusions and demands causing rewrites by Levitz to his carefully measured sub-plotting (his forte), which was never allowed to mature and print the way he had originally conceived them. Examples of this are the Earth Man inheritance, the Green Lantern intrusion, and the ridiculous retro-reboot of the Fatal Five (as never being together before? Why?). The Legion Academy stories and the Secret Origin 6-parter were good reading because of excellent art along with non-interference in the story (just compare Phantom Girl in the Secret Origin story to the Fatal Five drek!).

Mr. Levitz is too much of a team player on DC to complain or point fingers on why the Legion results were poor. To the contrary, he was genuinely concerned with providing Legion fans hope the Legion was still alive in this final issue and could relaunch at a future time, while clearing the way for and promoting the upcoming JL3000 series. I think Mr. Levitz has treated DC better than it has treated him.

Fair enough. I only meant that Levitz was the only named writer attached to this issue, so at first glance, it's easy to point the finger at him for the shoddy way this series was ended. No doubt he had bigger and better plans that were shelved by DC Editorial's decision to can the series.

BridYYC #784798 08/24/13 11:58 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
The CBR review of this issue.

BridYYC #784799 08/25/13 12:03 AM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Also, in his weekly Buy Pile column, Hannibal Tabu gives it an "Honorable Mention" and says:

Kevin Maguire's artwork on "Legion of Super-Heroes" #23 was perfect, down to the facial expressions, but Levitz' story made the machinations of Coruscant's Galactic Senate seem like a roller coaster ride with the JLA and the Avengers by comparison. Quite a lame ending for the future's finest super team.

Kid Quislet #784802 08/25/13 12:26 AM
Honorary
Honorary
In regard to this last issue, I really enjoyed the artwork. Kevin Maguire did a great job, and I would have loved to see more of his Legion vision.

I congratulate Paul Levitz on wrapping up this run in a competent and satisfactory manner, considering the one issue constraint placed upon him. Duplicate Damsel was a shining star, and having Colossal Boy back were favorite parts. Admittedly, I was disappointed how Star Boy's grave was not shown at all, even as Dream Girl was nearby. I would have also liked to have seen Phantom Girl do Something else else...

I agree with previous posters who said the "revelation" that our Legion has all along been on an alternate Earth, or pocket universe/different dimension/nether galactic realm/thingy is a real slap in the face by a gauntlet to all Legion fans and all creative teams who have built up and supported this terrific 50+ year monument of work to date.

You know, as much as I know they'd never have done this, it occurs to me that there was a way to set this "New 52" Legion up as existing in a different timeline (Earth-2 or otherwise) while reconciling all the continuity glitches in this run (like the Fatal Five seemingly not having met the Legion before this last arc, the Steppenwolf "error", the Legion Lost/ECHO time travel inconsistencies, or Phantom Girl's characterization, to name a few) with everything that came before Flashpoint, and doing so in a manner that would have been less insulting to longtime fans. In fact, I think it would have been a real treat...

Just imagine -- what if this entire run were nothing more than one of the alternate-reality visions glimpsed by Douglas Nolan (brother of Ferro Lad) from way back in Legion v.2 #300 (1983)? Levitz wrote that one, too. Kind of coming full circle.

=====

Then there's my favorite tongue-in-cheek way to end the series. Going out on a something of a high note, the whole team together once again as the universe collapses around them, too damaged by Tharok's destruction of technology to survive long. Perhaps having the Legion's universe/timeline fade to white as it has a few times before. The second-to-last page would be all-white, with one line of dialogue in the last panel: "Hello, anybody here?" (turn to the last page of the series, a splash page of Quislet, finally returned after so long away, delivering lines like "Woohoo! Quislet finally made it back to Legion's universe from who-knows-where! Now to find Legion buddies and celebrate!" and (last line) "Hello? Legion friends, where are you? Yoo-hoo! Anybody here? Anybody at all?"

Last edited by Knightsfyre; 08/25/13 12:33 AM.
cleome57 #784809 08/25/13 03:12 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Originally Posted by cleome47
[snip]

Originally Posted by Conjure Lass

It's absolutely ridiculous what kind of tech Batman can put together. RIDICULOUS. I'm not saying that he shouldn't have some kind of cool technology that's slightly beyond what is currently available, but come on! Some of the tech he has puts the LEGION to shame. Batman needs some limits otherwise he's exactly a Mary Sue.

No kidding. It also drove me nuts in the JLA/JLU stories that he was always some kind of ultimate moral beacon for all humanity, to the point where he was some resistance leader in one of the quasi-fascist future scenarios. Uh, no. I'd think that Batman, with his overcontrolling personality and constant assertion that he knows what's best for everyone, would have been first in line to crush anti-fascists, not lead them to victory.

Oh, but we know Batman is ALWAYS right. If someone else makes a mistake, he or she is worthless.

If Batman makes a mistake, he probably did it on purpose!

Knightsfyre #784810 08/25/13 03:15 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
What if this entire run were nothing more than one of the alternate-reality visions glimpsed by Douglas Nolan (brother of Ferro Lad) from way back in Legion v.2 #300 (1983)? Levitz wrote that one, too. Kind of coming full circle.

=====

Then there's my favorite tongue-in-cheek way to end the series. Going out on a something of a high note, the whole team together once again as the universe collapses around them, too damaged by Tharok's destruction of technology to survive long. Perhaps having the Legion's universe/timeline fade to white as it has a few times before. The second-to-last page would be all-white, with one line of dialogue in the last panel: "Hello, anybody here?" (turn to the last page of the series, a splash page of Quislet, finally returned after so long away, delivering lines like "Woohoo! Quislet finally made it back to Legion's universe from who-knows-where! Now to find Legion buddies and celebrate!" and (last line) "Hello? Legion friends, where are you? Yoo-hoo! Anybody here? Anybody at all?"

Since Levitz already opened that door, why not? And at least now we'd know where the heck Quislet is!

There's also (I think someone suggested it already in this thread) Dream Girl waking up from a dream, and going all "oh, at least it's not a PROPHETIC dream";

or we could have had it revealed that Tharok was dreaming all about this, and a knowing Saturn Girl or Sensor Girl going, "Even in their dreams, evil never wins."

Last edited by Invisible Brainiac; 08/25/13 03:17 AM.
googoomuck #784935 08/26/13 08:59 AM
G
Substitute
Substitute
G
Originally Posted by googoomuck
Originally Posted by Ken Arromdee
Originally Posted by razsolo

Oh, and I can't remember who it was that pointed out the Earth 2 reference was wrong anyway....

In what way is the Earth-2 reference wrong? That definitely is one for the continuity list.

What Ken said. With the amount of editorial interference @ DC I really don't think that they'd let Paul predict that the New Earth Superman will also be killed by a villain named Steppenwolf. It's also not a stretch to say that the line about Steppenwolf sending Superman to his doom was not written by Paul Levitz.

Maybe he had a co-author: Justin Thyme.

Georgehaze #784943 08/26/13 09:25 AM
K
Leader
Leader
K
I will take the generous position that the Earth-2 mixup was a simple failure to communicate. The Earth-2 death of Superman had no doubt not been published while Legion #23 was still being scripted; there may have been last-minute details of which Levitz was not aware.

I don't think this Legion #23 will have any real repercussions in the DCFU anyway; I mean, I don't think we'll see Harmonia Li on Earth-Two, or an alternate-universe Chuck and Lu still married in JLA3K, as might be inferred from the dialogue.

“I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal.” -- Groucho Marx
Klar Ken T5477 #784962 08/26/13 10:48 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally Posted by Klar Ken T5477
I will take the generous position that the Earth-2 mixup was a simple failure to communicate. The Earth-2 death of Superman had no doubt not been published while Legion #23 was still being scripted; there may have been last-minute details of which Levitz was not aware.

Considering Earth-2 #1 was published a year and a half ago, I'm relatively sure the script for LSH #23 wasn't totally completed yet. wink

Knightsfyre #785047 08/26/13 11:04 PM
Space Fatigue Survivor
Space Fatigue Survivor
Just imagine -- what if this entire run were nothing more than one of the alternate-reality visions glimpsed by Douglas Nolan (brother of Ferro Lad) from way back in Legion v.2 #300 (1983)? Levitz wrote that one, too. Kind of coming full circle.

I really like this idea. LSH #300 is one of my all-time faves!

Celebrating 10+ years of Legion Worldness
BridYYC #785059 08/27/13 05:01 AM
in hiding
in hiding
While we're at it, can we declare the entire DCFU an Elseworld?

Last edited by the Hermit; 08/27/13 05:01 AM.

First comic books ever bought: A DC four-for-47-cents grab bag that included Adventure #331. The rest is history.
BridYYC #785060 08/27/13 05:48 AM
C
Wanderer
Wanderer
C
Considering how inconsistent it is, I don't know it can be declared any kind of world.

Chaim Mattis Keller
ckeller@nyc.rr.com
Legion-Reference-File Lad
BridYYC #785299 08/28/13 06:19 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Kevin Maguire made the issue for me, I hope he gets to draw the inevitable relaunch/reboot.

It felt so much like Levitz was writing his version of a segue to the 5 Year Gap it was almost distracting.

I hope *WHEN* LSH comes back, it is under a name as huge as Johns or Morrison, or that it comes back under a completely unknown writer bursting at the seams with nutty ideas.

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
BridYYC #785570 08/30/13 09:10 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
I vote completely unknown writer with nutty ideas, myself.

BridYYC #785575 08/30/13 10:13 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Unknown with nutty ideas, definitely.

I'm not that impressed with the art. Sure, it's better than Scott Kollins, but it's not even close to Yildray Cinar or Francis Manapul, IMO.

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
BridYYC #785588 08/30/13 11:09 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
In defense of Scott Kollins, his art on the Postboot Legion (around issue 110-118 IIRC) was pretty good. Perhaps he just had poor synergy with the inker.

MLLASH #785591 08/30/13 11:21 PM
Active
Active
Originally Posted by MLLASH
Kevin Maguire made the issue for me, I hope he gets to draw the inevitable relaunch/reboot.

It felt so much like Levitz was writing his version of a segue to the 5 Year Gap it was almost distracting.

I hope *WHEN* LSH comes back, it is under a name as huge as Johns or Morrison, or that it comes back under a completely unknown writer bursting at the seams with nutty ideas.

If Grant Morrison could launch an All-Star Legion title as an on going series with Kevin Maguire on art I'd be all over it.

BridYYC #785605 08/31/13 06:26 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
You know who LOVES the Legion and has a bunch of crazy ideas for the group: Chris Batista. I started talking Legion to him at SDCC this year and an hour later he was still throwing out great idea after idea of what to do with the group.

BridYYC #785607 08/31/13 06:44 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Any hints, Dave? Or did he ask you to keep it quiet?

Holy Cats of Egypt!
BridYYC #785608 08/31/13 09:38 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Well, he said no one at DC seemed interested, so I doubt it's confidential. A big component of what he wanted to see was emphasis that the Legion's in the future, so it shouldn't be running around with tech worse that Batman and the JLA use now.

Why can't they have teleporters, tech stealth suits, etc. Why are they stuck on monitor duty in a room full of screens when a modern cell phone could do all of that today? Shouldn't the rings be so advanced they can take care of that?

Even the (at the time) future tech that was introduced over the years has been forgotten about (Telepathic plugs anyone?).

If you try to imagine the Legion being at the forefront of an era that's already so amazingly advanced beyond ours, it opens up so many story possibilities from the Universe-spanning big stuff to just exploring what a future would look like.

He was really jazzed about it all and it totally made sense to me.

MLLASH #785612 08/31/13 10:31 AM
K
Leader
Leader
K
Originally Posted by MLLASH
inevitable relaunch/reboot... *WHEN* LSH comes back...

You are far more optimistic than I.

Originally Posted by Dave Hackett
Well, he said no one at DC seemed interested...

Originally Posted by Saturn Girl
If the Legion's finished, well... I'm not going to ponder what happens in other worlds, or dreams, or whether this reality is all there is in life...

I wonder if that's Levitz talking.

“I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal.” -- Groucho Marx
Dave Hackett #785672 08/31/13 04:26 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Originally Posted by Dave Hackett
Why can't they have teleporters, tech stealth suits, etc. Why are they stuck on monitor duty in a room full of screens when a modern cell phone could do all of that today? Shouldn't the rings be so advanced they can take care of that?

One of the better parts of the Threeboot, for me, was that the rings *did* do all of that (well, okay, not the teleporting!). Flight, communications, translation, life-support fields, could change their costumes to and from civilian clothes, kept you from being tracked and monitored by the gubmint, etc.

Rings that *only* served as communicators and lower powered flight devices (pretty much the equivalent of the rings the latest team has been using!) were being sold as toys to Legion fans to help pay for upkeep and whatever, by the end of the run.

I would much prefer if Legion uniforms were at least a little bit bullet-resistant and energy-dispersant, so that they provided a measure of protection for Legionnaires who lack defensive powers, and if it were explicitly stated at some point that, like 'molecule-thin transsuits,' they have transparent cloth in the future, so that Dream Girl's bare legs and arms and face are as protected as her bikini-clad torso, even if you can't see the ballistic energy-absorbent cloth.

People running into fights in swimwear would make so much more sense if clothing (including protective clothing) could be transparent.

Although I'd prefer is some characters just kept their darn clothes on. Sensor Girl looked awesome when Lightle introduced her. The last thing she needs is to take her mask off, wear a crown and have bare arms and a boob window... The Legion ladies have hardly ever suffered from a lack of stripper-wear. There's no reason *everyone* has to adapt to that style.

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,021
Posts1,045,250
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Lass Girl
Lass Girl
New Jersey