Roll Call
1 members (Nightcrawler), 26 Murran Spies, and 18 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by stile86 - 05/21/24 08:43 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by stile86 - 05/21/24 08:42 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by stile86 - 05/21/24 08:40 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by stile86 - 05/21/24 08:32 PM
Kill This Thread LIII - There's a Joker in Here!
by Gaseous Lad - 05/21/24 05:53 PM
Legion Trivia 6
by Gaseous Lad - 05/21/24 05:47 PM
Fatal Five in DC August Solicits
by Sarcasm Kid - 05/21/24 12:27 PM
The 2nd All Avengers Thread
by Ann Hebistand - 05/21/24 10:16 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Braniac 5.1/101
#78586 05/09/04 06:57 PM
Applicant
OP Offline
Applicant
Hi Guys Im kinda new to the Grand History that is the Lgion and Im slowly wading through my Legion Collection I just Got off the net

Is Brainy a many times removed decendent of Superman's Brainaic... and how are they related.. Some people say that The Orginal Brainiac was Human or that he possed a Human taking over his Body??? whats the deal thanks

Re: Braniac 5.1/101
#78587 05/10/04 02:02 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Below is some of his current history on B5 & ancestor Vril Dox from Chaim Keller's "Legion Help File" (available at the Encyclopedia Galactica forum. DnA seem to have dropped the "5.1" and the cheery personality Brainy was given after his encounter with the space anomaly. His mother Brainiac 4 and ancestors have been human, but nobody knows who his father is.

The descendant of the twentieth-century Coluan hero Vril Dox II, Querl was blessed with a 12th-level intellect, above average even for Coluans, who are, as a race, extraordiarily intelligent.
Vril Dox II was the son of Vril Dox, servant of the Computer Tyrants of Colu, in the late twentieth century. His father heaped constant verbal abuse on him, and he grew to hate him and his masters. He freed a captured Durlan from captivity in order to get his father in trouble, but eventually, the Durlan became more than a symbol of his rebellion...the Durlan became his friend, his teacher, and to a large extent, his pet. The Durlan taught him of personal freedom and justice, a concept foreign to Colu at that time. He was handed over to the Dominion-led invasion force as a peace hostage, and he and the Durlan managed to free themselves and four others from the invasion alliance's prisons, and he led them to Colu, where he overthrew the Tyrants and instilled in the Coluans a sense of independence. He then went on to found the Licensed Extra-Governmental Interstellar Operatives Network, known, somewhat ironically, as L. E. G. I. O. N..

Holy Cats of Egypt!
#78588 05/10/04 05:27 AM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
Originally posted by Fat Cramer:
Below is some of his current history on B5 & ancestor Vril Dox from Chaim Keller's "Legion Help File" (available at the Encyclopedia Galactica forum. DnA seem to have dropped the "5.1" and the cheery personality Brainy was given after his encounter with the space anomaly.
Looking back at the "Archie Legion," he was never all that 'cheery' after the end of Dark Circle Rising anyway, almost as if the writers realised the mistake they made. B5[.1] even commented to Gates in the story where the Fatal 4[+1] stole the Outpost that he'd been trying to ignore the upgrade. DnA certainly took him even nearer to his early reboot self tho smile

And there was an actual scene where the dropping of the point-1 was shown - in Legion Lost #9, while he's talking to Saturn Girl, he comments that he always hated the point-1, and on her way out, Imra makes a point of calling him Brainiac Five. And the .1 was never used again.

His mother Brainiac 4 and ancestors have been human, but nobody knows who his father is.
Ummm... did you mean "shown?" "Human" makes no sense in that context.

My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War .
#78589 05/10/04 08:41 PM
Applicant
OP Offline
Applicant
So how is Brainy related to the Superman Villian Brainiac???

#78590 05/11/04 01:48 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Not sure about the evil Brainiac connection, I've lost track of the Superman-book characters' current histories. Maybe someone else here knows?

Certainly DnA took the cheeriness out of B5 and thank heavens they did! It was okay as a temporary joke - the same was done with Guy Gardner in Justice League Europe (I think), but it wears thin after a few issues. I'd forgotten that Legion Lost scene, SoM - thanks for the reminder.

Not sure about the "human" question, though - I just meant he has no direct connection to any machined parts - wasn't he, pre-boot, directly descended from the evil Brainiac who had a computer brain?

Holy Cats of Egypt!
#78591 05/11/04 07:02 AM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
Originally posted by Smeghead:
So how is Brainy related to the Superman Villian Brainiac???
Direct desendent. The exact number of intermediateries is unknown, however (it's been fudged since Zero Hour if Vril Dox II was Brainiac 2, or if the numbering only started after the Brainiac line returned to Colu).

Certainly DnA took the cheeriness out of B5 and thank heavens they did! It was okay as a temporary joke - the same was done with Guy Gardner in Justice League Europe (I think), but it wears thin after a few issues.
It was Justice League International/America for Guy, not the spin-off smile

And, having read those issues now, I still maintain that B5 was only really "cheery" for DCR, and that he pretty quickly reverted to type. DnA just took the last edge off his dialogue.

I'd forgotten that Legion Lost scene, SoM - thanks for the reminder.
No problem.

Not sure about the "human" question, though - I just meant he has no direct connection to any machined parts - wasn't he, pre-boot, directly descended from the evil Brainiac who had a computer brain?
No, Pre-Crisis (NB: this change occured after Crisis with the Superman reboot, NOT Zero Hour), Brainiac was always a robot, and hence B5 had no blood relation.

And Coluians aren't human smile

My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War .

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,023
Posts1,045,567
Legionnaires1,730
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Anonymous Girl, Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000
1,730 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Super Lad Kid
Super Lad Kid
Michigan
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star