Roll Call
1 members (stile86, stile86, stile86, stile86, stile86, stile86, stile86, stile86, stile86), 33 Murran Spies, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Legionnaire Mastermind
by stile86 - 05/09/24 01:32 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by stile86 - 05/09/24 01:29 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by stile86 - 05/09/24 01:24 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by stile86 - 05/09/24 01:00 AM
Legion Trivia 6
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/08/24 10:58 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/08/24 05:47 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 13 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 12 13
Re: IMAGE explosions
Cobalt Kid #781777 07/29/13 08:41 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Originally Posted by Cobalt Kid
I actually just found my initial reviews of JMS's run. It appears I did like the first few issues, so I can admit when you're right Lardy (which is another way of not admitting I'm wrong ;)).

Awwwww! I was gonna look 'em up and post 'em here for all to see!!! evil lol

In any case, I'm not trying to be a JMS apologist. In the hierarchy of great comic writers, he isn't even in the back of the picture. What I AM saying is that he has written some good things, and Ten Grand REALLY impressed me with its first issue! Okay? Okay!

(Damn, this is almost as bad as when I dared to sing John Byrne's praises a while back! lol)

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
MLLASH #781824 07/30/13 06:19 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
I knew you were gonna! Thus, I had to beat you to the punch. We know each other too well my friend. smile

But your point is well taken. A great series can come from unexpected places, and I'm always interested to learn of one. I'll definitely keep an eye on your continued reviews.

Power Boy #784700 08/24/13 04:11 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Originally Posted by Dave Hackett
OK, based on the reviews I picked up the first two trades and issue #11 of Mind the Gap. Let's see how it goes.
Originally Posted by Power Boy
I just picked up Mind the Gap TPB two.

awww yeahhhhh!

Still waiting for specific comments from you guys on MtG! (At least from Peebz's comment, it sounds like he liked it?)

Meanwhile I just read MtG #10! Mind = BLOWN!

We learn who Hoodie is and get some broad strokes of the bigger conspiracy--and the counter-conspiracy!

I'm gonna have to re-read this issue again. So much GOODNESS! drool

MLLASH #784721 08/24/13 06:10 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I picked up Sidekicks 1. Another JMS book out now. A 12 issue series, with Mandrake art. The art is great as always. The twist to the series feels a little used, as in it reminds me of a movie. Not a direct rip, but there is a similarity.

Gonna give it another issue to really grab me.

Active LMB character is still Beast Boy.

MLLASH #786521 09/05/13 05:08 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
So I got Mornign Glories Volume Five (TPB) Which I was hoping would clear up all the drama from the last TPB (where we only got a whole new crew to read about) ... and I am confused ... the dialogue and character's are written well but the plot is a shambles ... this TPB was like the series finale of Lost ... people screaming to loud background music ... solely a montage of different circumstances copied and pasted together.

Maybe I missed something and it all makes sense, I doubt it, but at any rate I am not willing to invest the time to go back and try to sort through it ... I don't think there are any pots of gold at the end of that rainbow.

if it continues, I am not even sure if this was an ending or not, I don't know if I will continue with it. Maybe for old times sake but I can't imagine it could recover.

It was just so weird.

the fact that Georgina is Casey ... kinda ruined both characters for me

I feel like I missed a TPB actually.

MLLASH #786522 09/05/13 05:09 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Mind the Gap is the new and much more satisfying Morning Glories.

I really am into it, if it keeps it up.

MLLASH #786523 09/05/13 05:17 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Following up on the prior page's discussion on JMS, the recent news about his firing of Ben Templesmith and how he made it all public just makes me feel like he's more of an asshole than ever. It only reaffirms that he might write the next War and Peace drawn by the ghost of Lou Fine but I'm not buying it.

Cobalt Kid #786534 09/05/13 07:29 PM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
*looks it up*

To be fair to JMS (I know, I know...), can you imagine the speculation if he'd put out a bare "Ben Templesmith will be replaced by C.P. Smith on future issues of Ten Grand. We wish him well in his future endeavours" statement? Between JMS' own reputation and the fact that that his artist has apparently pulled a Milx on him, there's far too much to work with there.

My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War .
MLLASH #786536 09/05/13 07:45 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
A little more to that story...not that it makes whatever JMS did "alright" (have not seen the above mentioned statement.)

Apparently Ben dropped off the face of the planet for a short time. Like it or not, JMS is out to make money, and not being able to get in touch with your artist...or having Image unable to get in touch with him either, tends to mean you mnay want to go with someone else. Will have to see how he actually handled it...but I can "get" the reasoning behind it.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/09/05/bens-okay-folks/

Dev-Em #786538 09/05/13 08:00 PM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
Originally Posted by Dev - Em
A little more to that story...not that it makes whatever JMS did "alright" (have not seen the above mentioned statement.)

It's linked in the "Related Reading" box on that Bleeding Cool link:
Originally Posted by JMS
We have a pair of announcements regarding Ten Grand….

As I’ve stated many times in the past, I’m a massive fan of Ben Templesmith’s work. He’s one of the truly unique voices working in comics today, and we’ve been blessed to have him on board for the launch of our flagship title.

When we reignited the Joe’s Comics imprint, we took a blood oath that our books would come out on time, no matter what. We owe no less than that to both the retailers and the readers. So each title launched with a buffer. As I write this, with issue two of Sidekick coming next week, Tom Mandrake is about to roll into the script for issue 4, and Gordon Purcell is finishing up issue two of Protectors Inc. which won’t officially debut until November, and all of Protectors is already written in its entirety. We lost a little time on all of the titles here and there, due to illness and other factors, but that’s what the buffers were for, so we continued pressing forward to keep the books coming out on time.

With Ten Grand, once the script went out to Ben, we would often hear nothing back, despite repeated requests for updates. Most recently, we gave Ben a full script on July 26th. It is now September 4th, and we have still not heard anything back from him, despite repeated emails asking where things were, nor have we gotten any pages. I even tweeted him on August 25th just to make sure he was okay, and though we still didn’t hear back from him, we did hear through others that he’s all right, which is the important thing.

From time to time, every artist and writer falls behind or runs into trouble with the work; I am not only marching in that parade, I am carrying a banner. But there still has to be some level of communication so that all parties can plan out publishing schedules and make adjustments where needed.

So on August 27th, I emailed Ben to say that if we didn’t hear something back by the end of that week, even just a text to say he was underwater, that we would have to find another artist. I wanted to give him every possible opportunity to come back and make this work. No reply. Finally, and with tremendous reluctance, I sent him a note on the 31st saying that we were moving on. Our obligation to our readers and the retailers has to come first.

To be clear: we are and remain big fans of Ben’s work, and wish him every best. His art was magnificent and a perfect fit for the storytelling. If we were doing a graphic novel we’d hire him again in a heartbeat.

So that’s the unfortunate news.

The good news…the great news, really…is that we’re pleased to announce that CP Smith has come onto the book as our regular artist. He is of the strongest and most dynamic voices in the field, and his most recent work on Wolverine Noir has been rightly hailed by reviewers as spectacular. His dynamic, visually compelling style is totally consistent with the Ten Grand universe, and we are lucky to have him on board. Quoting CP: “ I am honored and thrilled to be working with JM Straczynski on this ground breaking independent book. Expect Awesomeness.”

CP is diving in immediately to catch up and will move heaven and earth to bring the book back into a regular schedule as quickly as possible. For retailers who are taking orders now for the trade paperback of issues 1-6, we will ship that book as soon as we get all the pieces needed to make that happen.

My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War .
MLLASH #786541 09/05/13 08:15 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Oh, considering the sellout move of becoming the spokesmen for Before Watchmen, I know JMS only is out for money. tongue

MLLASH #786542 09/05/13 08:18 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Not gonna argue that. wink

Reboot #786543 09/05/13 08:21 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally Posted by Reboot
Originally Posted by Dev - Em

It's linked in the "Related Reading" box on that Bleeding Cool link:
Originally Posted by JMS
We have a pair of announcements regarding Ten Grand….

As I’ve stated many times in the past, I’m a massive fan of Ben Templesmith’s work. He’s one of the truly unique voices working in comics today, and we’ve been blessed to have him on board for the launch of our flagship title.

When we reignited the Joe’s Comics imprint, we took a blood oath that our books would come out on time, no matter what. We owe no less than that to both the retailers and the readers. So each title launched with a buffer. As I write this, with issue two of Sidekick coming next week, Tom Mandrake is about to roll into the script for issue 4, and Gordon Purcell is finishing up issue two of Protectors Inc. which won’t officially debut until November, and all of Protectors is already written in its entirety. We lost a little time on all of the titles here and there, due to illness and other factors, but that’s what the buffers were for, so we continued pressing forward to keep the books coming out on time.

With Ten Grand, once the script went out to Ben, we would often hear nothing back, despite repeated requests for updates. Most recently, we gave Ben a full script on July 26th. It is now September 4th, and we have still not heard anything back from him, despite repeated emails asking where things were, nor have we gotten any pages. I even tweeted him on August 25th just to make sure he was okay, and though we still didn’t hear back from him, we did hear through others that he’s all right, which is the important thing.

From time to time, every artist and writer falls behind or runs into trouble with the work; I am not only marching in that parade, I am carrying a banner. But there still has to be some level of communication so that all parties can plan out publishing schedules and make adjustments where needed.

So on August 27th, I emailed Ben to say that if we didn’t hear something back by the end of that week, even just a text to say he was underwater, that we would have to find another artist. I wanted to give him every possible opportunity to come back and make this work. No reply. Finally, and with tremendous reluctance, I sent him a note on the 31st saying that we were moving on. Our obligation to our readers and the retailers has to come first.

To be clear: we are and remain big fans of Ben’s work, and wish him every best. His art was magnificent and a perfect fit for the storytelling. If we were doing a graphic novel we’d hire him again in a heartbeat.

So that’s the unfortunate news.

The good news…the great news, really…is that we’re pleased to announce that CP Smith has come onto the book as our regular artist. He is of the strongest and most dynamic voices in the field, and his most recent work on Wolverine Noir has been rightly hailed by reviewers as spectacular. His dynamic, visually compelling style is totally consistent with the Ten Grand universe, and we are lucky to have him on board. Quoting CP: “ I am honored and thrilled to be working with JM Straczynski on this ground breaking independent book. Expect Awesomeness.”

CP is diving in immediately to catch up and will move heaven and earth to bring the book back into a regular schedule as quickly as possible. For retailers who are taking orders now for the trade paperback of issues 1-6, we will ship that book as soon as we get all the pieces needed to make that happen.

Thanks...feeling sick as a dog, so I missed the link.

Over a month is fair warning. Not responding in over a month is not good form...I doubt that he was away from any forms of communication in that time frame.

MLLASH #786568 09/06/13 08:27 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
So "A Distant Soil" recently moved to Image, and it's something I've always been curious to read. I believe it's in the 40s now. How difficult would it be to pick up the story from the current point without backtracking through issues and collections?

MLLASH #786652 09/06/13 08:05 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Re: Ten Grand....I'm very upset that Templesmith's off the title. I doubt any other artist could bring what he brought to the title. For me, this was the project that made me stand up and take notice of his incredible talent. I'm suddenly a lot less enthusiastic about the book because his art was so excellent.

But as for JMS, I'm not sure that his announcing Templesmith's departure was an asshole move. As Reboot pointed out, this was a no-win situation. If he's said less, the internet would be torn in half assuming JMS made a Didio-like random firing. Choosing "full" disclosure instead, people still assume the worst.

In any case Templesmith contacted Bleeding Cool and basically confirmed that JMS wasn't making it all up.

In any case I'm just sick that he won't be finishing the series. Such sublime work he was doing.... frown

MLLASH #787162 09/11/13 10:53 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Image continues to dominate the industry in terms of quality comics books.

Lazarus by Greg Rucka and Michael Lark is a must-read hard science-fiction series. It's already shaping up to be Rucka's seminal work, showcasing all the talents he has that made people step up and take notice. It also teams him with his old Gotham Central partner, Michael Lark, who can really do no wrong. He just gets better and better and you can see that he, like Rucka, is reveling in the world-building they're doing in the series.

It's pretty awesome that both Rucka and Brubaker are entering a golden age for their work right now at Image. I'm super-pumped for the awesome Steve Epting to be joining Bru to launch Velvet next month.

Another writer that's part of their crowd is Matt Fraction, who is writing better than ever these days, and foremost among that statement is Satellite Sam, which has had a fantastic start. Teamed with Howard Chaykin, who is always a good time, it offers a pretty unique setting and tone in the industry, spotlighting a lot of things both creators love, such as 1950's TV, noir themes, and the seedier side of life.

MLLASH #787184 09/11/13 06:39 PM
More Polyanna than Poison Ivy
More Polyanna than Poison Ivy
Originally Posted by Cobalt Kid
I'm super-pumped for the awesome Steve Epting to be joining Bru to launch Velvet next month.

As am I, Cobie, as am I. grin

It sounds like it's gonna be kind of like Alias (the Jennifer Garner TV show, not the Jessica Jones comic), which I loved the first four seasons of.

Read LEGIONS OF 7 WORLDS in the Bits forum:

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 1 (COMPLETED)

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 2 (WORK IN PROGRESS)

"Don't look for role models, girls, BE the role model."

- Legion World member HARBINGER
MLLASH #787344 09/13/13 05:52 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Hate to say this, but Mara is a title I have to qualify as a definite and fairly rare "miss" on the part of both Image's and writer Brian Wood's otherwise good track records. This tale of a sports celebrity in the near future inexplicably developing super powers is just so bland, emotionless and by-the-numbers, I have to wonder why Wood bothered with it. And issue five has her just suddenly turning away from and apparently against the human race in a way that lacks any of the subtlety or reasoning that the story of, say, Dr. Manhattan had in Watchmen.

Plus, the art by Ming Doyle adds little or nothing to the script. I think she (?) is talented, but this sort of story is not the best use of her skills.

I remember being really excited about this project when it was announced. Now, I'm faced with the question of whether I should even bother to pick up the final issue just to complete the miniseries. I'm leaning heavily toward "no".

Anyone interested in trying out a Brian Wood series should definitely consider avoiding this one and, instead, looking into great books he did/is doing like DMZ, The Massive or his Star Wars ongoing series.

MLLASH #787355 09/13/13 07:58 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
^ I dropped it after #3. I love Wood and Image is batting .950 these days but as you say, it was a rare miss. It just didnt have the complexity and zing that I'm looking for.

MLLASH #787358 09/13/13 09:25 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Ugh. I probably would have jumped off sooner, were it not for my being perpetually 2-3 months behind in reading! I probably read #1 after I'd already bought thru issues 3 or 4. And after that, I assumed it would get better. Nope...worse! shake

MLLASH #787410 09/14/13 06:33 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
On the other hand, Mind the Gap just KEEPS ON getting better and better!!!! I read issue 11 the other day, and the twist where Elle is simultaneously possessing ALL of the hopelessly comatose patients in the hospital is just so jaw-droppingly awesome! I've never seen a possession scenario like this before! When I finally decide on my Top Five for the first time in well over a year, MtG seems a cinch to make the list this time! Can't recommend this title enough!

MLLASH #787435 09/14/13 08:25 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Ah, I see you're still a few issues behind me. The next 3 or so will BYEM (blow your effing mind--new LW thing?). Some questions are answered and motivations clarified, which enhances several characters in a big way.

MTG remains a top tier best-of-the-best book right now. nod

MLLASH #787443 09/14/13 08:56 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Yeah, MtG was promising from the start as an interesting mystery, but it's just grown and GROWN to the point where it just BYEMs (good one! grin ) on a every-issue basis! Love this book so much!!! love

MLLASH #787453 09/14/13 09:54 PM
Pov Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Don't Stop Peelieving
I just got trades 1 and 2 for both Morning Glories and Mind the Gap... I like MG and -LOVE- MtG! love

Pov #787454 09/14/13 09:55 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Originally Posted by Pov
I just got trades 1 and 2 for both Morning Glories and Mind the Gap... I like MG and -LOVE- MtG! love

I love that you LOVE MtG, Pov! I wish you'd share some thoughts about it... nod

Page 7 of 13 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 12 13

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,021
Posts1,045,211
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
SharkLad
SharkLad
The waters off eastern Long Island
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star