Roll Call
0 members (), 63 Murran Spies, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Legion Trivia 6
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/13/24 03:29 PM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by thoth lad - 05/13/24 05:34 AM
Kill This Thread LII - The End of the Deck of Cards
by thoth lad - 05/12/24 02:15 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/11/24 09:37 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Eryk Davis Ester - 05/10/24 04:47 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:58 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:56 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 43 of 80 1 2 41 42 43 44 45 79 80
Re: The All Avengers Thread
Fanfic Lady #788843 09/27/13 07:09 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
I don't buy the Avengers books, but sneak a peak at my friend's when I'm round. So, it does lead to a few gaps in knowing what's going on.

However, I've always enjoyed the scope of Hickman's plots. They are huge cosmic things and here he has a cast that matches.

An issue has been that characters generally get lost in such plots. But the illuminati seem a good match as most of them are generally a bit aloof & remote anyway to me.

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Fanfic Lady #788844 09/27/13 07:10 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I can't deal with Hickman's FF, Fantastic Four or Avengers but his Image stuff is pretty cool!

I will never forgive Morrison for putting a gun in Professor Xavier's hand. Or ... you know ... resurrecting Jean Grey like three times.

Last edited by Power Boy; 09/27/13 07:10 PM.
Power Boy #788846 09/27/13 07:12 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally Posted by Power Boy
I can't deal with Hickman's FF, Fantastic Four or Avengers but his Image stuff is pretty cool!

btw what the frack is the deal with this??? There is just a huge discrepancy in pacing! East of West is paced perfectly and very cleverly.

Fanfic Lady #788847 09/27/13 07:13 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
I may eventually try East of West....in trades. Much of what I've seen written about it recommends that approach.

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
Lard Lad #788849 09/27/13 07:14 PM
More Polyanna than Poison Ivy
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Paladin
Hickman's books are generally a hard pass for me since I got suckered into his pointless, meandering run on the Fantastic Four titles. He's just all buildup and no payoff. I'm wary of all his creator-owned projects for that reason, even when I here good things. He and Grant Morrison are two writers who almost never strike "gold" with me, no matter how much they are praised. (I liked Morrison's "Happy!" last year--Darick Robertson's art was a big factor there--and mostly liked the "Return of Bruce Wayne" mini. And that's about all of Morrison's stuff I've liked and enjoyed since Doom Patrol and JLA.)

Lardy, it looks to me like we're generally of like minds on both those writers, but did you miss my rave review of Morrison's Flex Mentallo in the Random Review Corner thread? It was one of the first things I posted when I came back to Legion World this year. FM is the one time I've LOVED something that Morrison wrote.

Read LEGIONS OF 7 WORLDS in the Bits forum:

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 1 (COMPLETED)

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 2 (WORK IN PROGRESS)

"Don't look for role models, girls, BE the role model."

- Legion World member HARBINGER
Fanfic Lady #788850 09/27/13 07:20 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Never read Flex Mentallo. I remember intending to pick it up as a fan of his DP, but I don't believe my CBS at the time carried it. He does some of his best work with Quitely--like All-Star Superman, which I forgot to list. I'm not as in love with All-Star as some people are, but it was definitely a good-to-great comic.

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
Lard Lad #788851 09/27/13 07:21 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally Posted by Paladin
I may eventually try East of West....in trades. Much of what I've seen written about it recommends that approach.

It is just getting started (issue 6) BUT unlike the Marvel books It will build and build but ...

Its not like the crazy intense tension of Morning Glories or Mind the Gap ... it is a different atmosphere.

shrug

I'm not sure if you will like it more or less than Manhattan Projects ... it is a bit derivative of Preacher ... somehow ... I don't know if that is good or bad.

Fanfic Lady #788852 09/27/13 07:23 PM
OP Offline
Flex was collected in hardcover about a year ago, and I believe it's still in print. I agree that Quitely brings out the best in him...and, once again, we're of like minds on All Star Superman. I liked it but didn't love it.

Fanfic Lady #788859 09/27/13 07:31 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I thought All Star could be a bit shorter but that still wouldn't make me love it. GREAT costume designs though!

hmmm I may have to browse this Flex . . .

Power Boy #788861 09/27/13 07:41 PM
OP Offline
I thought All Star could be a bit shorter but that still wouldn't make me love it. GREAT costume designs though!

hmmm I may have to browse this Flex . . .

Yay Peebs! Can't wait to find out what you think of it.

Fanfic Lady #788864 09/27/13 07:54 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
decent point about the pay off for Hickman. I think it applies or certainly applied to Morrison as well.

Knowing that, Morrison's writing is still solid enough that I'm not likely to find a book that I won't read (although bits of the Invisibles and the Filth came close).

Likewise, I'd probably read a Hickman book for the next large scale idea culled from an issue of New Scientist.

I read Flex Mentallo at the time and it was fine. Not jaw dropping, but fine. I did like All-Star Superman, but partly because it was such a nice diversion from the character in the main books. It had a very Legion-like optimism my memory tells me.

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Fanfic Lady #788888 09/27/13 09:17 PM
OP Offline
I think Morrison is one of those writers who can't keep their personal life from affecting their work. His X-Men lost direction quickly due to rotten working conditions and other problems in Morrison's personal life. I suspect that the circumstances under which his Action Comics run was written were also less than ideal, even though he was supposedly exempt from the treatment received by other DCFU writers...guess he wasn't, because, like X-Men, it started off with promise but then went terribly wrong.

Fanfic Lady #788904 09/28/13 07:26 AM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Morrison, by his own admission, is already moving onto the next thing that captures his interest, while the one he's on is winding down.

It's been like that all the way back to Zenith. Reaction to the work, editorial edicts etc will no doubt add to that, as they do nearly everyone else.

But I'd take a Zenith or a Doom Patrol or a WE3 (sniffs just typing it) over the output of many others.

Fanfic Lady #789492 10/03/13 11:59 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Mighty Avengers 002 is the best Avengers comic I have read in years. (might not be saying much but)

Very exciting stuff!

I love the characterization of the team and the Blue Marvel.

It was too short by any standard though.

Fanfic Lady #789498 10/03/13 01:17 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I just hope that
the attempted murder of Monica dosn't frack up her powers or character. I don't think she will die but it seems pretty standard for a character to have some trauma that messes up her character. please please please don't let her recover just to have her spinning pink bubble wrap ... or be a gun toting cyborg ... or change ethnicity or something

Fanfic Lady #789501 10/03/13 01:22 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
I've been meaning to check this out to see if Monica is back to her original powers (turn into any form of EM radiation, shoot force blasts) or has the arbitrary 'do-anything energy related' powers she had in Nextwave.

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
Fanfic Lady #789504 10/03/13 01:27 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
It seems she is back to her original powers of being able to turn into electricity, light and radiation. She made a statement of how she can turn into all sorts of energy. For the record.

She zips around at yellow light speed and generates energy blasts.

I am afraid that may change though. frown
(see above spoiler)

She changed her name to Spectrum though. <which I like better than Photon> And she has a new costume that looks a whole lot like her Captain Marvel suit! much better than the trench coat.

Set #789505 10/03/13 01:27 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally Posted by Set
I've been meaning to check this out to see if Monica is back to her original powers (turn into any form of EM radiation, shoot force blasts) or has the arbitrary 'do-anything energy related' powers she had in Nextwave.

It has been really exciting so far! The rag tag team ... face ... Thanos!!! haha!

... more or less ...

Power Boy #789516 10/03/13 02:26 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
It seems she is back to her original powers of being able to turn into electricity, light and radiation. She made a statement of how she can turn into all sorts of energy. For the record.

She zips around at yellow light speed and generates energy blasts.

Good to hear. I love me some Nextwave, but the writer Did Not Do The Research (tm) and had her doing all sorts of crazy stuff, like creating massive energy blasts of this radiation or that, or 'microwave storms' or threatening to irradiate an entire ship full of enemies by touching the hull, most of which I prefer to think of as over-the-top creative license, like Machine Man having a giant pair of scissors in his chest, or a device that lets him impregnate someone from thirty feet away.

I kind of liked the trenchcoat, 'though. smile

Not a fan of the Blue Marvel. The Marvel universe is amazing, with a crazy diversity and nearly endless set of potential origins and options for character design. The last thing I think Marvel needs is yet another Superman ripoff, like the Sentry. (Or, in this case, perhaps an Icon ripoff?)

It's not like they couldn't have drug Phastos or Genii or Splice out of mothballs if they wanted some more heroes of color on the team.

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
Fanfic Lady #789518 10/03/13 02:53 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Phastos would make a great addition!!!!

This team needs a smart guy and he is not so far above Monica or Luke's power level ... well he dosn't seem so ... even if he might be.

and he hasn't got as much air play as some of the other Eternals.

I don't like the new Spidey as the smart guy. (I don't really like Spideys)

.. except Jessica and or Julia Carpenter.

Fanfic Lady #789570 10/04/13 06:51 AM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
In whatever book Monica ended up in after the initiative, there was a scene where I'm sure she admitted to animal cruelty as a youngster. I have wanted her demise ever since.

Possibly my memory of it, as looking back it seems like a very pointless way to get your readers to hate someone, in the name of characterisation.

Fanfic Lady #789580 10/04/13 08:21 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
hmmm I think I will file that under selective memory.

Some writers and people think that trauma and/or a dark past make a personality.

I don't agree.

What is she supposed to be a serial killer in a spandex outfit with light powers?

Fanfic Lady #789582 10/04/13 08:25 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Especially since ... everything else I have ever read about Monica has been that she is super nice and honorable ... remember how upset she was when Moonstone broke her neck, accidently I might add, during their fight!

She visited her in the hospital!

and Moonstone sucks! Moonstone was part of the team that put Hercules in a coma, beat poor Jarvis ... maiming him, and locked Monica herself in a dark dimension indefinitely!!!

Fanfic Lady #789589 10/04/13 10:09 AM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
I know, I know... it's totally out of character. I will now need to go on a quest for the issue.

It's a flash of memory form years ago, so it will be interesting to see who I should really hold a grudge against, assuming I'm not entirely making it up.

Fanfic Lady #789606 10/04/13 11:23 AM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Well it turns out itwas Monica. It's in Nextwave 1. As a child she immolates/microwaves a yappy dog with her powers.

A throw away moment from Warren Ellis, that's supposed to be darkly funny. But it's the only issue I picked up of the run, and sunk the character for me.

Page 43 of 80 1 2 41 42 43 44 45 79 80

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,021
Posts1,045,258
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
Faraway Lad, Kid Charlemagne
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Elvis Lad
Elvis Lad
Hollywood, Ca
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star