Roll Call
0 members (), 27 Murran Spies, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Legion of Super-Heroes #7 (2020) - Preview and Spoilers
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 10:06 AM
The 2nd All Avengers Thread
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 10:04 AM
So, what are you listening to?
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 06:34 AM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 06:32 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/27/24 02:11 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/26/24 06:56 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/26/24 06:55 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 16 of 23 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 22 23
Re: Marvel's X-verse
Mystery Lad #774970 06/11/13 08:53 PM
Pov Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Don't Stop Peelieving
And two dozen crap ones... LOL

"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me
Cobalt Kid #776181 06/18/13 11:16 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Originally Posted by Cobalt Kid
So did you guys check out the all femme X-Men #1? Incredible writing and delicious Copiel art? Each character shining in her own way?

It warms my heart. This might be the first X-title I'll collect!

Cobalt Kid #776480 06/21/13 01:21 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
So did you guys check out the all femme X-Men #1? Incredible writing and delicious Copiel art? Each character shining in her own way?

I picked up issue one, just to give it a shot, and found myself somewhat lost. I wasn't aware that Jubilee was no longer a vampire (or if she got her powers back), or that Rachel was even still around in the X-verse (since I hadn't seen her much since, oh, the Excalibur days...), or who the girl with the sword was on the cover (Psylocke, I thought, but in the book, the only person who looked like her manifested an energy bow, like Dani Moonstar used to do, and, as far as I know, Psylocke never did, so I'm no longer sure).

And this John Sublime character seems to be regarded as a major threat I'm supposed to have heard of, but... not so much.

I do like that it's set in the school, so that we get to see slices of Bling and Mercury and Pixie and Glob Herman in the background. I always liked the background students / New X-Men crowd.

Edit: Now that I've googled him, sounds like this Sublime guy is a big deal!

Last edited by Set; 06/21/13 04:13 PM.

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
Set #776499 06/21/13 06:25 PM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook

I liked it, but the writing was a bit... rough around the edges. Most notably in the train sequence - firstly, why did Rogue borrow Northstar's powers rather than him just going himself (did Wood write that sequence without realising she doesn't have her Carol Danvers powerset any more?) - he could at least have attributed those powers to the students. Secondly, why was derailing half the train meant to HELP, exactly? Firstly, the back half of the train would still slam into the derailed carriages, and secondly the OTHER train would still slam into the derailed carriages!

[Also, do payphones in America have redial buttons? They don't here, pretty much for that exact reason.]

Originally Posted by Set
I picked up issue one, just to give it a shot, and found myself somewhat lost. I wasn't aware that Jubilee was no longer a vampire (or if she got her powers back), or that Rachel was even still around in the X-verse (since I hadn't seen her much since, oh, the Excalibur days...), or who the girl with the sword was on the cover (Psylocke, I thought, but in the book, the only person who looked like her manifested an energy bow, like Dani Moonstar used to do, and, as far as I know, Psylocke never did, so I'm no longer sure).

It *is* Psylocke, and Jubilee... I'm not sure. Brian Wood seems distinctly uninterested in her as a vampire, though, and there was something about her briefly being part of a group of vampires with anti-sun doohickeys, so I suspect it will literally never come up (unless she turns into a wolf at some point), until eventually it gets written off by a Handbook somewhere.

My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War .
Reboot #776500 06/21/13 06:36 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Originally Posted by Reboot
Jubilee... I'm not sure. Brian Wood seems distinctly uninterested in her as a vampire, though,

As am I, for that matter. I liked her old powerset and attitude, so if he wants to pretend that vampire thing never happened, I'm good with it. smile

I was wondering about Rogue and the train as well. The writer also seems to think she's got Carol Danvers powers, in addition to the power to do anything any mutant can do. Still, she was the only person (other than wonder baby) who got to do anything with 'her' powers, so I probably shouldn't be too critical.

Rachel even had the hilarious moment where she described Psylocke as the big gun pointed at Sublime's head, when Rachel is like fifty times the telepath/telekinetic. Whacky.

Set #776501 06/21/13 06:48 PM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
Originally Posted by Set
Jubilee... I'm not sure. Brian Wood seems distinctly uninterested in her as a vampire, though,

As am I, for that matter. I liked her old powerset and attitude, so if he wants to pretend that vampire thing never happened, I'm good with it. smile

Me too, actually!

Originally Posted by Set
I was wondering about Rogue and the train as well. The writer also seems to think she's got Carol Danvers powers, in addition to the power to do anything any mutant can do. Still, she was the only person (other than wonder baby) who got to do anything with 'her' powers, so I probably shouldn't be too critical.

Rachel even had the hilarious moment where she described Psylocke as the big gun pointed at Sublime's head, when Rachel is like fifty times the telepath/telekinetic. Whacky.

Yeah, I caught that about Rachel too - all the scenes with her and Psylocke were written as if Betsy was the only telepath of the two. *Maybe* it could be interpreted as an attitude thing - Betsy being willing to go further than Rachel in a good cop/bad cop thing, but I don't think that's how it was intended.

I'm wondering, actually, exactly how comfortable Wood is with the powersets of the characters he's been assigned. Two telepaths, so one's telepathy needs to be played down. Jubilee's vampirity somewhere between downplayed and ignored, after a LOT of issues in the last adjectiveless series were devoted to it. And that very awkward use of Rogue, when Kitty could have phased the train through the other one.

My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Reboot #776502 06/21/13 06:53 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
And that very awkward use of Rogue, when Kitty could have phased the train through the other one.

Ooh, that would have been effing brilliant. Kitty's gotten a pretty buff powerup as of the end of Whedon's Astonishing X-Men run, so, yeah, that would have been a totally badass 'moment of awesome' for Kitty!

Mystery Lad #776506 06/21/13 07:24 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I've seen panels on another forum that showed the train scene was a reference to another comic.

I for one am happy that Jubilee is being restored to her original powers. She deserves some time in the spotlight because she faded into the background in the 2000s (Wolverine seems to get a new female sidekick every ten years).

Go with the good and you'll be like them; go with the evil and you'll be worse than them.- Portuguese Proverb
Emily Sivana #776609 06/22/13 06:50 PM
#deleteFacebook
#deleteFacebook
Originally Posted by Emily Sivana
I for one am happy that Jubilee is being restored to her original powers.

She's not:
Marvel.com: You've mentioned that you'll be treating Jubilee's new vampirism as just another skill set. Were you tempted to undo that change, or does it add something to the character?

Brian Wood: I think my first instinct was to get rid of the vampire stuff, and that's coming from the fan inside me, who doesn't recognize it as the "real" Jubilee. But that's beside the point, and the real Jubilee is whatever she is currently, so it's now my job to do the best I can with these characters as they are, rather than always have a part of me wishing things were different.

All that said, I think the vampire thing can be interesting, since we're treating it as a power set and not some sort of lifestyle she's forced into. She's still Jubilee, but her powers have changed. Also, this is not "Twilight," and references to "sparkly vampires" don't apply. I think what this does, in the end, is expand the character of Jubilee, to broaden what she brings to the table. I mean, she's immortal now, to give one example. That's huge.

Mystery Lad #776629 06/22/13 09:17 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Count me in as someone who preferred the old Jubilee powerset. On the other hand, I'm glad that she's not being angsty about her vampirism; I assume she's got it under control and it won't be a big focus of the story.

Re Rachel/Psylocke, it seems like an attitude thing as well. Pr could Rachel be trying to hide just how powerful she is so Sublime would let his guard down? I'm not sure if they've met before.

I wonder where the Mercury/Bling!!! thing is going.

Mystery Lad #779277 07/10/13 03:28 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I think Rachel is just being bossy. Rachel is always down playing her powers too.

Rachel performs various feats in issue 002 that could be telepathy, or some communication with the technological systems of the mansion (if so it should be explained as an earpiece or something)

I think Rachel put Psylocke on Sublime duty and herself on everything else.

I totally prefer Jubilee as a vamp, with or without fireworks, there are other X Women with similar powers (Dazzler, Boom Boom)

Besides ... Jubilee (as her given name) = firework powers? Her parents were prescient.

The Kitty phasing large objects is an anomaly that IRC was based on some sort of sentience of the bullet in Astonishing X-Men "calling out to her". I don't think she has done anything big since. I prefer her clever like a cat and not able to affect buildings, trains, etc.

Last edited by Power Boy; 07/10/13 03:28 PM.
Power Boy #779286 07/10/13 05:30 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Originally Posted by Power Boy
Besides ... Jubilee (as her given name) = firework powers? Her parents were prescient.

Oh, that's a comic book staple! Remember when Magneto's real name was 'Magnus' instead of Erik? And Dr. Druid's original last name was 'Druid' instead of Ludgate? Still, couldn't be worse than DC's Rainbow Raider, whose real name was Roy G. Biv. Ah, that whacky Silver Age. smile

Anywho, IIRC, her first name is actually Jubilation, which is more of 'an expression of great joy' and not actually related to fireworks (and a name that suggests that her unknown mother was actually very happy to welcome her into the world...).

Originally Posted by Invisible Brainiac
I wonder where the Mercury/Bling!!! thing is going.

Me too. I never really liked either of those two characters (my favorite X-teen-ladies were Dust, X-23 and Wind-Dancer), but I'm eager to see what sorts of stuff is going on with the oft-forgotten student body.

Mystery Lad #787165 09/11/13 11:07 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
I've been enjoying the X-Titles so much that I'm actually really pumped about this Battle of the Atom crossover. I don't think I've been enthusiastic about a crossover since they did one a few years ago in Hulk (during the awesome Red Hulk mystery years), and before that, who knows?

Every month, I consistently LOVE (not just like or enjoy, but love) All-New X-Men, Uncanny X-Men, X-Men and Wolverine and the X-Men. That's four X-Men series that I rank above every single DC comic right now (by a mile) that I think are great.

Wolverine and the X-Men feels like its written by the LMB at times. They have a mutant with snot related powers whose name is, you guessed it, Snot. Brilliant!

And who knew that the characters Brian Bendis was born to write were the original 5 X-Men? 'Cuz he definitely is NAILING IT.

Mystery Lad #787466 09/14/13 11:13 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
I've been hovering around possibly buying All-New in some format or another for a while. Part of it is I simply love Hank McCoy in his original non-furry state! I'm sure I'll make up my mind about it at some point. Sad thing is, I would've picked up Battle of the Atom if it were a self-contained mini. Oh, well....

(BTW, Cobie...I'm curious for you to chime in on the Uncanny Avengers thread where I recently stated it lost me with that Apocalypse Twins story.)

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
Mystery Lad #788082 09/22/13 06:39 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I have a question for long-time X-fans, particularly fans of Chris Claremont. Where did he find the name 'Illyana'? Why did he choose the name Illyana for that character?

Go with the good and you'll be like them; go with the evil and you'll be worse than them.- Portuguese Proverb
Mystery Lad #788084 09/22/13 06:55 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I think it is a Russian name. (maybe typical or rare I don't know)

I am not sure if it has any meaning beyond that to him.

A girl in my school when I was a kid had the name Illyana but I think she spelled it differently.

Chris might have changed the spelling, or it could be more commonly spelled another way.

Mystery Lad #788086 09/22/13 07:07 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Knowing Claremont, it was a name of someone he knew or admired .

Last edited by Cobalt Kid; 09/22/13 07:07 PM.
Lard Lad #788087 09/22/13 07:11 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Originally Posted by Paladin
BTW, Cobie...I'm curious for you to chime in on the Uncanny Avengers thread where I recently stated it lost me with that Apocalypse Twins story.

Well.....? hmmm

Mystery Lad #788095 09/22/13 08:30 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I think it is losing everyone with the Twins storyline.

I know those twins are supposed to be evil but they are so annoying. and too uber powerful ... especially with not the whole team in the game at the moment.

There was a blip of excitement in the last issue when Sunfire said he was going to kick their nass.

Mystery Lad #791855 10/23/13 12:22 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Lardy, I'll look for that thread!

Meanwhile, the Battle of the Atom crossover has been...surprisingly awesome! Tightly written and a lot of fun, it's showing the X-Men at their character / conflict best.

I'll repeat: who knew the superheroes Brian Bendis was born to write were the original X-Men? I would never have believed it. But the work speaks for itself.

Mystery Lad #794116 11/06/13 07:46 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Amazing X-Men #1

The Good: The fuzzy elf is back. My favorite of the X-Men (although Colossus is a close second). This is the book that got me back into an X-Men comic ssince a ways back. In fact, I think Morrisons run, at least the beginning, was the last time I bought anything on any kind of basis.

Kurt is back. The cast of the book is introduced through the arrival of Firestar as the newest instructor. The characters a little bit different, but totally recognizable. So far, I am a happy purchaser.

The Bad: Nothing really this issue. The art is popping with wasy to follow action.

The Ugly: The main bad...but I think that's the point.

Overall: Aaron wastes no time in getting us into what is going on. Within this first issue, we get where Kurt is, who has him intent on leaving his paradise, who the -team of the hour is for this book, and getting a few of them to where Kurt is. Wolvies "Blue Elf, you don't think?" is great at the end.

If the pace keeps up, this is as close to a throwback to comics I grew up with than I have seen in a long time. It's a 5 story that looks to be equal parts fun and adventure. I hope it lives up to the anticipation I have after reading the first issue.

Active LMB character is still Beast Boy.

Mystery Lad #794185 11/07/13 01:16 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Dev, all the main X-titles have been fantastic for the last year, so I think you could check any of them out and be happy.

Which is a segue into my own wrapping up of reading "Battle of the Atom", the best superhero crossover in years, which ran through the X-Titles. Man, that was fun!! And it stayed awesomely fun and exciting right on through the finish.

It was actually chalk full of character and I loved that Magik, Kitty and Jubilee were all major, major players in it. They really shined.

I've said before "who knew Brian Bendis was born to write the original X-Men?". Well, considering how he wrote future-Colossus, I also think that applies to the lovable Ruskie as well. I really hope Colossus leaves whatever X-Force book he's in and rejoins on the main Bendis written X-Titles. The way Bendis wrote Magik and Colossus may have been the highlight of a story packed with great moments.

Meanwhile, I can't wait to see Nightcrawler join the fray in Amazing. I don't really need *another* X-series to collect, but it is Jason Aaron doing the writing.

Mystery Lad #794231 11/07/13 05:40 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
I thought about buying Amazing today, just as I've been tempted by All-New from the beginning. But I just can't escape the fact that I would probably have to buy 4-6 titles just to appreciate all that's going on in the X-verse. And at $4 bucks a pop with most titles being published twice-monthly on average, that's a rabbit hole I don't want to go down just for the hope that I might possibly enjoy X-Men books again.

So, ultimately...no thanks.

Mystery Lad #794235 11/07/13 06:13 PM
More Polyanna than Poison Ivy
More Polyanna than Poison Ivy
Lardy, I feel pretty much the same as you, but I do hope you'll at least give the first couple issues of All-New X-Factor a chance. It's probably going to be off in its own little corner of the universe for the most part, the same way the previous X-Factor was.

Read LEGIONS OF 7 WORLDS in the Bits forum:

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 1 (COMPLETED)

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 2 (WORK IN PROGRESS)

"Don't look for role models, girls, BE the role model."

- Legion World member HARBINGER
Mystery Lad #794236 11/07/13 06:42 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Like I said, have not read any other X books in a while, but felt fine reading this and felt no confusion at all. 5 parter to start...but will watch for those damned crossovers with an eagle eye and decide from there.

Active LMB character is still Beast Boy.

Page 16 of 23 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 22 23

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,019
Posts1,044,964
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
EmeraldEmpress
EmeraldEmpress
London, UK
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star