Roll Call
1 members (Eryk Davis Ester), 33 Murran Spies, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Legion of Super-Heroes #7 (2020) - Preview and Spoilers
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 10:06 AM
The 2nd All Avengers Thread
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 10:04 AM
So, what are you listening to?
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 06:34 AM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 06:32 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/27/24 02:11 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/26/24 06:56 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/26/24 06:55 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 17 of 23 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 22 23
Re: Marvel's X-verse
Mystery Lad #794237 11/07/13 06:43 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Lardy...do you do any digital comics? I have a thing for the first issue if you want to check it out.

Active LMB character is still Beast Boy.

Dev-Em #794239 11/07/13 08:41 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Originally Posted by Fanfic Lady
Lardy, I feel pretty much the same as you, but I do hope you'll at least give the first couple issues of All-New X-Factor a chance. It's probably going to be off in its own little corner of the universe for the most part, the same way the previous X-Factor was.

I'll definitely consider buying that one. I know it'll be relatively self-contained to a point. One problem, though, is that the line-up isn't exactly scintillating to me. I suppose, though, that I could say the same about the line-up when he relaunched X-Factor Investigations, as well, but it was actually pretty inspired.

I guess another problem is that I eventually dropped X-Factor, as well. It will also be interesting to see whether PAD gets a consistent artist this go-round. We'll see.

Originally Posted by Dev - Em
Lardy...do you do any digital comics? I have a thing for the first issue if you want to check it out.

I've never really done that, so far, even though I get codes with Superior Spider-man. (I actually sold some of those on eBay.) It seems easy enough, I suppose. Just not sure if I want to get hooked, go down the rabbit hole and then end up disappointed after I've bout a dozen issues, as I did with Uncanny Avengers.

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
Mystery Lad #794242 11/07/13 08:57 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Just an offer so you wouldn't have to buy to check it out. No biggie.

Lard Lad #794247 11/07/13 09:11 PM
More Polyanna than Poison Ivy
Originally Posted by Paladin
Originally Posted by Fanfic Lady
Lardy, I feel pretty much the same as you, but I do hope you'll at least give the first couple issues of All-New X-Factor a chance. It's probably going to be off in its own little corner of the universe for the most part, the same way the previous X-Factor was.

I'll definitely consider buying that one. I know it'll be relatively self-contained to a point. One problem, though, is that the line-up isn't exactly scintillating to me. I suppose, though, that I could say the same about the line-up when he relaunched X-Factor Investigations, as well, but it was actually pretty inspired.

I guess another problem is that I eventually dropped X-Factor, as well. It will also be interesting to see whether PAD gets a consistent artist this go-round. We'll see.

Oh, good. I'm really glad you're considering giving it a try. I think this sextet is less promising than X-Factor Investigations, but about as promising as his early 90s X-Factor lineup, and he definitely made lemonade back then. Hopefully history will repeat itself, and, yes, he does need an artist who will stick around and who will deliver the goods on a timely basis.

Read LEGIONS OF 7 WORLDS in the Bits forum:

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 1 (COMPLETED)

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 2 (WORK IN PROGRESS)

"Don't look for role models, girls, BE the role model."

- Legion World member HARBINGER
Mystery Lad #794265 11/08/13 08:20 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Lardy, if you don't mind me asking, how much did you get for those codes on eBay? I've got tons of them over the last 2 years and never think twice about doing anything with them.

Also, if you ever do dip your toes into the current X-verse, and I know that seems unlikely, I recommend the main two Bendis series, All-New and Uncanny. Those others connect but you don't need other than this recent crossover.

I'll give X-Factor a try but I'm pretty disappointed with the line-up, which at first seemed interesting.

Cobalt Kid #794328 11/08/13 10:07 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Originally Posted by Cobalt Kid
Lardy, if you don't mind me asking, how much did you get for those codes on eBay? I've got tons of them over the last 2 years and never think twice about doing anything with them.

Sure. I got the idea from some Bleeding Cool articles last year and tried it out. I got around ten bucks for the codes for the final arc of Amazing Spider-man "Dying Wish" + Superior Spider-man #1.

The winning bid was actually more like $12, but the idiot didn't read the ALL-CAPS disclaimers in both the title and description of the item for sale which made it perfectly clear that it was the codes for sale and not the actual physical books. He begged out of it, even though I wanted to slap him in the face! grin Luckily, the runner-up was all for taking him off my hands, and I honored his high bid.

I haven't tried to sell any more codes since for fear of some other douche not using his eyeballs to, y'know, READ! mad Trust me, I couldn't have been more careful to avoid any confusion.... sigh

I might try again soon, though.

Mystery Lad #794330 11/08/13 11:43 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
What you got laying around Cobie...(even LArdy), I might be interested in some. If the price is right.

Mystery Lad #794348 11/09/13 10:45 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Dev, I don't know which comics I've got that have codes but if you can find out, I would very happily give you all the codes for free! I owe you for a couple of goodies from when you sent me some stuff a few years ago, including a signed JR Jr comic!

Just assume I have all the Marvels of the last several years. Any one that had a code I can dig out and give you the code. Sounds like Spider-Man has them. Probably X-Men and Avengers. Those I'll snag next time I go to my parents house.

Last edited by Cobalt Kid; 11/09/13 10:54 AM.
Mystery Lad #794371 11/09/13 04:58 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Any and all of the $3.99 books should have the codes. The $2.99 books like Daredevil, Hawkeye and Young Avengers don't.

Mystery Lad #794385 11/09/13 08:02 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Thanks Cobie. PM coming.

Mystery Lad #794395 11/09/13 10:09 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I've heard great things about Amazing X-Men. I think I will keep following the reviews here and on other comic book forums. If it goes well I will start reading.

Go with the good and you'll be like them; go with the evil and you'll be worse than them.- Portuguese Proverb
Mystery Lad #794683 11/13/13 05:39 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Guys if anyone is buying the X-Men book from Brian Wood or ANY thing from Brian Wood it may be a good time to stop.

Because an artist on twitter named Tess Fowler is coming out that Wood has sexually harassed her and a few other woman.

http://www.theouthousers.com/index.php/news/124930-tess-fowler-brian-wood-is-a-dick.html

Mystery Lad #798840 01/14/14 07:52 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Hi guys.

Does anyone own any issues from X-Men Unlimited? I'm trying to find scans of two specific characters for future commissions. Specifically, issues 1 and 6. The characters in question are a bestial mutant from issue 1 and a mutant Rogue had contact with in issue 6.

Please and thank you.

Sarcasm Kid #803025 03/11/14 01:05 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Originally Posted by Sarcasm Kid
Guys if anyone is buying the X-Men book from Brian Wood or ANY thing from Brian Wood it may be a good time to stop.

Because an artist on twitter named Tess Fowler is coming out that Wood has sexually harassed her and a few other woman.

http://www.theouthousers.com/index.php/news/124930-tess-fowler-brian-wood-is-a-dick.html

I have to say, after hearing about this, I didn't cancel any Brian Wood books or anything as I wanted to see how all the news played out. I did just that (I follow Tess Fowler on twitter and think she's pretty solid). There are plenty of writers who are revealed to be assholes in real life but produce some excellent art: Oscar Wilde, Alex Raymond and Lauren Hill just to name a few that aren't modern day comic book creators whose work I admire. I have no problem enjoying their stuff.

Still...with Brian Wood, I've had a problem. His work is so obviously saturated with overtly liberal ideology, and is particularly promoting a very feministic point of view. So the more I heard--particularly the case of a former DC editorial employee stepping forward with an even more disturbing encounter--the more I simply couldn't enjoy Woods X-Men series.

Liberal and Progressive movements have been littered with people who claim they are fighting for the cause but in reality are actually trying to seduce their fellows. Any one whose ever worked in any cause knows these lotharios exist. It's hard not to equate Wood with that.

In the latest X-Men issues he has Monet, Rachel, Karima, etc., all being strong female heroes. And instead of sitting back and watching some of my favorite characters shine, all I can think about is how I don't believe it.

Meanwhile, Wood's Conan series ended, which completed a pretty magnificent run. It's the best Conan material I've ever read. Yet in the final issue, he talks about how die hard Conan fans criticized him and gave him a hard time for making Conan less masculine--all the while coming off as a martyr for the progressive and liberal causes in the world. And I just don't believe him.

Last edited by Cobalt Kid; 03/11/14 01:07 PM.
Mystery Lad #803026 03/11/14 01:11 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Meanwhile...

All-New X-Men and Uncanny X-Men have been fantastic. I've enjoyed them immensely--more so than any X-comic in 15 years.

Wolverine and the X-Men just wrapped up a phenomenal run by Jason Aaron, who provided his best Marvel work. I'm curious to see how the new creative team does.

Amazing X-Men has been beautiful to look at and has Nightcrawler back, though the story has been a little run of the mill. I'm not sure about this one, though I'm thrilled to see Nightcrawler. The incoming creative team of Yost & Craig is one I'm not sure of, but I'm thrilled we'll get to see Colossus fighting side by side with Kurt, Storm and Wolverine again.

I'd be happy to have X-Men, Wolvie & the X-Men and Amazing X-Men all condensed into one really great X-series featuring the mansion-centric X-Men characters. The Cyclops side of the equation is experiencing great writing & art, and I'd like the other X-Men to get the same.

Mystery Lad #803041 03/11/14 06:52 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Amazing X-Men's the only X book I'm buying at this point.

Mystery Lad #803694 03/23/14 05:08 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
There are way too many X books on the shelves .. I can't even sift through them all.

I picked up the first 4 new X Factors. It is pretty good. IMO.

I kind of wish we had more of the team together already than teasing it out. and that the team for hire made a bit more sense.

The team is way heavy on the mental illness so far, I guess that is the X Men though.

Neither Gambit or Quicksilver are my faves, or Polaris ... they're cool but ...

Someone like Northstar as a hero for hire might make more sense or Lorna going off and living in a cabin alone.

There are so many teams it seems like they are just trying to fill books with characters.

The book seems like a dinner cooked with whatever's left over in the house ... but it's still pretty good. I don't think I'll stick with it. I just got it because I wanted some comics to read.

I also picked up Uncanny X-Men #19 because it is a Bachalo drawn issue. Was ok, still on the same old story arc as issue one. Sentinels ... SHIELD ... new mutants. Illyana got a good kick butt scene and is seeming more awesome than ever. Also, there is a hint
that Dazzler is playing possum as Mystique's prisoner. I can't wait till she hands her and Sabre tooth their butts. She has laser eyes!

Mystery Lad #803698 03/23/14 05:50 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
The Sabretooth cameo in the latest issue of Deadpool was great.

I'm digging Deadpool on a level I never ever would have thought possible. The art is solid, and the writing has been great. Never thought much of the character beforethis outside of the fact that he was a Rob L. creation, and there were some guest posts I thought he was okay in over the years I was into the X-Men. The new Marvel Now series started with the dead Presidents returning and I had to at least check out the pseudo zombie President thing. Throw in the ghost of Ben Franklin and a SHIELD agent involved in a totally different way than you would think, add a dash of respect from Wolverine and Captain America, sprinkle in some actual character development (and anguish) for the merc with a mouth and you have a fun book to read month after month.

I also love Amazing X-Men. Cobie is right in that the story itself is not necessarily groundbreaking, but haing great art and a return of a fun character (who has not lost that fun aspect in this day of grim and gritty rebootings), and I am having a blast. I will continue to give the book a shot after the creator change...and will also follow Kurt to his solo book. Cannot wait myself.

Mystery Lad #804621 04/06/14 05:05 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Hey all,

I'm working my way through the Morrison New X-Men run, and not being a Marvel guy, I have a question. I'm into the "Riot at Xaviier's" and the main trouble is coming from a kid named Quentin, who's taken to wearing a specific get up (and his followers now wear it too), that's supposedly really provocative in Mutant/Human relationships as it mimics an early Mutant agitator. Is this supposed to represent anyone known before this, or is it something Morrison made up? It's basically a striped polo shirt and a short-cropped haircut.

Mystery Lad #804624 04/06/14 05:38 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Dave, this history of that look dates back to X-Men #14 in the Silver Age. In it, Bolivar Trask heightens anti-mutant hysteria to a fever pitch by showing how mutants could be overlords, enslaving all humans. Part of this includes a drawing in various media of what a mutant overlord would look like (Quire's striped shirt look).

This propaganda leads to the creation of the Sentinels, and therefore all future Sentinels stories, project wideawake and 50 years of the public / gov lashing out at mutants. Anti-mutant paranoia was part of the series since #1, but it was this issue where it really came into focus in the series.

The look was created by Jack Kirby (idea for it, layouts), Werner Roth (likely actually designed it), and Vince Colleta (inks). It was shown in black and white in a newspaper.

This was a super obscure, throwaway few panels though clearly was important. It was Morrison who recalled / rediscovered it and then used this as the basis for Quentin's "controversial look", which as you see, directly implies he could become the mutant overlord the humans have always feared.

I think it's an typical bit of brilliance from Morrison that shows when he's on, he's ON.

Mystery Lad #804647 04/07/14 12:32 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
I thought it was Quisp in an early DC crossover.

[Linked Image]

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Mystery Lad #804706 04/08/14 02:35 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Cool, thanks.

Mystery Lad #805714 04/23/14 08:45 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
OK Question number 2.

I'm up through all the "Weapon Plus" stuff and into the Planet X. I liked how the "Weapon Plus" got turned on it's head and didn't get a proper conclusion because it was all a swerve. I'm less impressed with Planet X so far, as there seem to be some leaps in story-telling logic to make it all fit.

BUT, they seem to make a big deal that the X in "Weapon X" stands for the Roman Numeral 10. I'm not up on my Marvel history, but was that really the first time that concept was used? I always thought it was a 10 (that serendipitously mirrored the X in other mutant affairs). Was Morrison really the first to use it like that?

Mystery Lad #805740 04/23/14 04:22 PM
Yes, Morrison was the one who first changed the X in Weapon X from a letter to a numeral.

Read LEGIONS OF 7 WORLDS in the Bits forum:

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 1 (COMPLETED)

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 2 (WORK IN PROGRESS)

"Don't look for role models, girls, BE the role model."

- Legion World member HARBINGER
Mystery Lad #805786 04/24/14 10:09 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Yeah, it seems kinda obvious once it was done, but it was a pretty neat little moment when Morrison did that.

The whole "Weapon X" phenomena really didn't become a major part of the franchise until the late 80's / early 90's when Barry Windsor Smith did the Wolverine story in Marvel Comics Presents. After that, the entire 90's were obsessed with Weapon X this, Weapon X that.

Page 17 of 23 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 22 23

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,019
Posts1,044,964
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Gorilla Nebula
Gorilla Nebula
san francisco
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star