Roll Call
0 members (), 254 Murran Spies, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/09/24 07:58 AM
Kill This Thread LII - The End of the Deck of Cards
by Ann Hebistand - 05/09/24 06:41 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/09/24 03:04 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/09/24 03:03 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/09/24 03:03 AM
Legion Trivia 6
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/08/24 10:58 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/08/24 05:47 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 29 of 58 1 2 27 28 29 30 31 57 58
Re: The Moaning, Groaning, I just want to Vent thread
Quislet, Esq #796489 12/14/13 09:23 PM
strange but not a stranger
OP Offline
strange but not a stranger
I hope the storm does not turn over to mixed. Dry snow is so much more easier to shovel than wet snow

Big Dog! Big Dog! Bow Wow Wow!
Quislet, Esq #796948 12/19/13 05:41 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
So, I haven't been here much lately, and some of you are probably thinking.."Aw damn, he's back?" But, there's been reason.

First up, our lease at our business was up, well, actually a sublease, and neither we nor the guy we subleased from was willing to go on the hook for five years, with the possibility that a portion of the place we had might be sold off. And that was the portion of the lot we showed the cars on. So, for the last few weeks it's been all hours of the day and night working to get the new office ready. Almost there.

Still have to get the official paperwork done for the move (you wouldn't believe the regulations for a car dealership in SC.) as well as a few minor things, but it's nearly done.

The great news is that we've moved out to my home, so my morning commute is "walk out front door of house, walk 100 feet to office, enter office."

Now for the real thing to vent about. This Saturday will be the start of the forth week that my dad has been in the hospital. Honestly, we are at the end game as near as we can tell. He has congestive heart failure, went into the hospital for flu and pneumonia, and his kidneys have shut down. Every time he manages to rally, there's two more setbacks. We aren't giving up the fight, but honestly, he's tired and worn out. As long as he fights, we fight for him. But when he's done fighting, either to come home or to finally Go Home, we are going to respect that.

No one wants to lose a parent, but I don't want him to suffer either. That said...

It pretty much blows.

I've been through this with all three of the living grandparents I knew (my Mom's father passed before I was born), and it pretty much blew then as well. I'm not looking forward to a life without my Dad in it, but life does go on. I'm still blessed with a Wife and Son that are beyond great, and a mother and sister I love with all my heart.

But my dad wasn't just my dad. I got to really know him as an adult because he was always working when I was a child. I got to see what it took to pay the bills, to do the work, to get the job done. He has taught me that, and I gained an adults respect for a person. We were work partners as well as father and son. I won't get to have that kind of adult relationship with Sam because that boy has a brain and he's gonna use it instead of using himself up the way his dad and grandad did. But, I'll be here when he gets home from school now, and part of that is because of his grandad.

Pop isn't gone, but in all honesty, I don't think it will be long. So, this is my vent. Tired, worn out, heartsick... and zero Christmas cheer this year.

I'm really hoping new year will be better.

Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!
rickshaw1 #796949 12/19/13 06:03 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally Posted by rickshaw1
So, I haven't been here much lately, and some of you are probably thinking.."Aw damn, he's back?" But, there's been reason.

First up, our lease at our business was up, well, actually a sublease, and neither we nor the guy we subleased from was willing to go on the hook for five years, with the possibility that a portion of the place we had might be sold off. And that was the portion of the lot we showed the cars on. So, for the last few weeks it's been all hours of the day and night working to get the new office ready. Almost there.

Still have to get the official paperwork done for the move (you wouldn't believe the regulations for a car dealership in SC.) as well as a few minor things, but it's nearly done.

The great news is that we've moved out to my home, so my morning commute is "walk out front door of house, walk 100 feet to office, enter office."

Now for the real thing to vent about. This Saturday will be the start of the forth week that my dad has been in the hospital. Honestly, we are at the end game as near as we can tell. He has congestive heart failure, went into the hospital for flu and pneumonia, and his kidneys have shut down. Every time he manages to rally, there's two more setbacks. We aren't giving up the fight, but honestly, he's tired and worn out. As long as he fights, we fight for him. But when he's done fighting, either to come home or to finally Go Home, we are going to respect that.

No one wants to lose a parent, but I don't want him to suffer either. That said...

It pretty much blows.

I've been through this with all three of the living grandparents I knew (my Mom's father passed before I was born), and it pretty much blew then as well. I'm not looking forward to a life without my Dad in it, but life does go on. I'm still blessed with a Wife and Son that are beyond great, and a mother and sister I love with all my heart.

But my dad wasn't just my dad. I got to really know him as an adult because he was always working when I was a child. I got to see what it took to pay the bills, to do the work, to get the job done. He has taught me that, and I gained an adults respect for a person. We were work partners as well as father and son. I won't get to have that kind of adult relationship with Sam because that boy has a brain and he's gonna use it instead of using himself up the way his dad and grandad did. But, I'll be here when he gets home from school now, and part of that is because of his grandad.

Pop isn't gone, but in all honesty, I don't think it will be long. So, this is my vent. Tired, worn out, heartsick... and zero Christmas cheer this year.

I'm really hoping new year will be better.

You and your family are in my thoughts.

End of last April, my Ma went to the doc on Thursday, into the Hospital on Friday and I held her hand until the last breath on Sat. After a long battle, a cousin passed the next week of the same thing as my Ma, small cell cancer of the lungs.

The family had a party the next weekend. First time since Gramps died over ten years ago, everyone had gotten together. Even saw a long lost brother I hadn't seen for about 30 years.

Hope you don't lose your cheer. It's a time for old and new memories and get-togethers. As hard as they can be, I hope you cherish your last moments together with your Father.

Quislet, Esq #796967 12/20/13 01:20 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
I'm so sorry to hear that, rick. I'm sure it must be a tough time for you and your family. My thoughts are with you all. Well wishes, buddy.

Quislet, Esq #797041 12/21/13 11:09 PM
Not much between despair and ecstacy
My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family, Rick.

Check out my new Power Club website!

The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that
Quislet, Esq #797111 12/23/13 10:05 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Hi folks, since I told you here, I thought I'd take a moment to update everyone about my Dad.

If you've ever heard the term "Tougher'n a lightered knot", then you know what it means.

We thought we were losing him, and my mom and I made a Do Not Resuscitate decision. We were still doing everything we could to help him, making sure he got dialysis, making sure they were watching and taking care, and two out of three floors did a fantastic job. One nearly did him in.

but, as of this morning, he is off the intubation, he is awake if not really alert because he's fighting off over three weeks of sedation. He has had a congestive heart attack, and his lungs were in bad shape due to the flu and pneumonia, and his kidneys had shut down. Well, his kidney function is coming back, though we are doing maintenance dialysis. He's lost a lot of weight, mostly fluid. But, for the first time, the doctors are giving us some hope that he will come home.

To all of you that wished us well and prayed for us, I thank you more than you will ever know. He's not in the best of shape, and if/when he comes home, it will be a lot of work for my family to keep him with us, but he never quit, and we didn't either. Some prayers do get answered. Thank you all.

Something pithy!
Quislet, Esq #797173 12/24/13 10:14 AM
Active
Active
Rick, that is the greatest news I've heard all year!! Thank God! God love your dad and keep him well, always. Peace be with you and your family this holiday (and all the rest too).

In the present
Quislet, Esq #797217 12/24/13 11:33 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
That bit of news put a smile on my face smile Happy holidays!

Quislet, Esq #797219 12/24/13 11:36 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Great news, Rick.

"Everything about this is going to feel different." (Saturn Girl, Legion of Super-Heroes #1)
Quislet, Esq #797223 12/24/13 11:48 PM
I'm glad you get to have some more time with your dad, Rick. Prayers and hugs.

Check out my new Power Club website!

The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that
Quislet, Esq #799733 01/23/14 01:07 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I been sick. Blleeeegggggghhhhh!

Something pithy!
Quislet, Esq #799739 01/23/14 01:21 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
I'd be more sympathetic if you hadn't just done that to my shoes.

Get well soon smile

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Quislet, Esq #799776 01/23/14 11:07 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Let that be a lesson, thothkins - always use your flight ring to hover ABOVE sick people.

Get well soon Rick smile

Quislet, Esq #799825 01/24/14 09:33 PM
space mutineer & purveyor of quality sammitches
Poor rickshaw1. You'll have to settle for a long-distance hug, though. I already had the leaping crud in December, and the ensuing cough only finally went away last week.

hug

Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on DeviantArt! Drop by and tell me that I sent you. *updated often!*
Quislet, Esq #799830 01/24/14 09:38 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
I read somewhere that the typical cough lasts an average of THREE weeks/18 days, no matter what antibiotics you take. The one I got in December certainly did x_x

Companies should start offering a cough leave. 3 weeks off! tongue

Quislet, Esq #799833 01/24/14 09:41 PM
I didn't even bother with antibiotics. I did down enough cough drops to fill a silo, though.

Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on DeviantArt! Drop by and tell me that I sent you. *updated often!*
Quislet, Esq #799838 01/24/14 09:47 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Mine was tea with ginger, cayenne pepper, marjoram and honey. If I'd gotten a sunburn during that time I bet I would have smelled tasty.

(Hi cleome! great to have you back smile for a long time I hope?)

Quislet, Esq #799844 01/24/14 09:54 PM
I'm gonna' try and check in more frequently, Doll. I'm glad you're feeling better, too. Maybe we can ship some of that miracle tea over to rickshaw1's place...

Quislet, Esq #799848 01/24/14 09:57 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
It's not really all that effective, but let's give it a shot! Maybe complemented by some delicious veggies from your garden smile

And I hope we all go the rest of the year without another cough!

Last edited by Invisible Brainiac; 01/24/14 09:57 PM.
Quislet, Esq #799851 01/24/14 10:03 PM
The garden is in hibernation right now, but Spring's only a couple of months away. I'm actually looking forward to all the work. (Well, I'll have help from mr_cleome, so...)

Quislet, Esq #799875 01/25/14 01:42 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Working in the garden is fun! Not that I would know, since I don't have a garden... but I love nice gardens. Good for the soul.

Quislet, Esq #800531 01/31/14 06:05 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I may be leaving new comics behind. after the last two years, I just don't love collecting any more. I've mainly been a DC fan since I can remember. That was my comics home. I had a few flirtations with Marvel way back when, but it just read too much like bad soap opera. DC had characters that actually acted like heros and not spoiled brats.

But the new 52 has been a major disappointment. The books I was actually looking forward to were awful (I'm looking at you Hawkman, Hawk and Dove) and the books that I had been reading were cancelled (Secret Six, so many others).

now, DC is cancelling Nightwing. I've given a fair amount of time, I feel for DC to find it's footing. But the interminable crossovers, loss of Legion, bad storytelling (I'm looking at you, Lobdell) have just about caused me to cancel my pull. Books like WF and Birds of Prey are okay (well, WF is pretty great), but just don't have the feel of the characters.

Add to that the fact that the current JL just feels like a jumbled mess (the book is barely two years old, and once again they remove the stars for months, and now Johns is gonna Black Adam/Sinestro the league? Find another well, man. You've been to that one way too much.

It just isn't fun right now. It seems kinda...mean, and empty. I tried the Superman books at the beginning of the new 52 just because I hadn't in years. Perez' stuff seemed void of the usual depth he added, and we find out its because of editorial. And the only good thing I've found to come out of the new universe is Aquaman. that's not a great track record of interest for me.

E2 is okay, but it seems more and more like an elseworlds book and not the JSA I wanted to read.

Even my LCS is talking about it. it's worse than Marvel. What's next, Justice League Taos? Justice League Birmingham?

This bites. I've tried a few of the independents, but they cancel the ones I like there as well.

I am well and truly bummed.

Something pithy!
Quislet, Esq #800534 01/31/14 06:44 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
There are still good comics that aren't done by the big two that go strong and don;t get cancelled. Despite the history of the big two, if I want consistency it's in the non DC and Marvel tittles, and has been since way before DCNu.

Invincible, Savage Dragon and BPRD all have long runs now.

There's plenty of non cape titles too. There's probably more quality there than ever. The Big 2 seem hopeless at it, so it's enabled other publishers to pick up the reins.

I always like the sense of wonder that was in the Weisinger/ Schwartz edited books. That sense of adventure on a large scope with characters, no heroes, that could inspire.

But these are few and far between. So there are archive editions, comic sales, TPBs and trying out new things.

So, yeah it's a pain that the characters we grew up with don't have any spark left at all. I do miss that. But there other options and plenty of real gems out there. While we all enjoy that, DC will turn once again and provide enough quality to make them worth buying again.

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Quislet, Esq #800541 01/31/14 07:16 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I just read the latest Fables novel and I wasn't thrilled. That has me worried that I'm in the same state as Rickshaw, losing my taste for "comics."

However I still seem to enjoy most of the non-DC (I don't have any Marvel) books I've picked up but not being thrilled by the last Fables has me worried. Could it be the coming apocalypse?

Quislet, Esq #800557 01/31/14 09:14 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
The only book I'm getting now is Astro City.

For those of us who've been reading comics for decades...perhaps we really have seen it all already.

"Everything about this is going to feel different." (Saturn Girl, Legion of Super-Heroes #1)
Page 29 of 58 1 2 27 28 29 30 31 57 58

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,021
Posts1,045,221
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Fat Cramer
Fat Cramer
Café Cramer
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star