Roll Call
0 members (), 30 Murran Spies, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/09/24 10:26 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by stile86 - 05/09/24 07:36 PM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by stile86 - 05/09/24 07:35 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by stile86 - 05/09/24 07:32 PM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Legion Tracker - 05/09/24 07:29 PM
Legion Trivia 6
by thoth lad - 05/09/24 03:34 PM
Kill This Thread LII - The End of the Deck of Cards
by Ann Hebistand - 05/09/24 03:29 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11
Re: Multiversity
Fanfic Lady #805992 04/26/14 05:25 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Originally Posted by Fanfic Lady
Good point, Set, I hadn't thought of that. Of course, Kimiyo also ended up as having a lot of wasted potential. sigh

Very true.

Re: Pariah, Marv Wolfman really had a thing for whiny male characters, didn't he? See also: Azrael.

Yeah.

Pariah is a special case, since he's from a universe that retroactively never existed, and since his universe retroactively never existed, the Anti-Monitor retroactively never existed, and Crisis on Infinite Earths... Aahhh!!!

What where Pariah's powers anyway? Flying and crying, appearing at every disaster and moaning about it? What a loser!

If DC gave half the push to characters like Lady Quark or Big Barda or Vixen that they kept giving to Wonder Woman, I wonder if they'd have more luck reinventing Diana over and over in an attempt to make her fit into whatever niche they want to mash her into.

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
thoth lad #805993 04/26/14 05:27 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally Posted by thothkins
Thanks for the link Fanfie.

Did Harbinger to get killed off with a whimper too. Possibly as an archivist on Paradise Island.

She got killed in the story where they reintroduced Supergirl properly to the DCU. She was seen in R.E.B.E.L.S. as a Black Lantern.

Fanfic Lady #805994 04/26/14 05:33 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Online Confused
Tempus Fugitive
R.E.B.E.L.S.? I vaguely remember the art being good on the only issue I have of it. I think a Legion Brainy appears in it. I guess I just struggle with A.C.R.O.N.Y.M.S.*

*I did have to type that. Gah!

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Set #806029 04/26/14 10:48 PM
More Polyanna than Poison Ivy
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Set
Good point, Set, I hadn't thought of that. Of course, Kimiyo also ended up as having a lot of wasted potential. sigh

Very true.

Re: Pariah, Marv Wolfman really had a thing for whiny male characters, didn't he? See also: Azrael.

Yeah.

Pariah is a special case, since he's from a universe that retroactively never existed, and since his universe retroactively never existed, the Anti-Monitor retroactively never existed, and Crisis on Infinite Earths... Aahhh!!!

What where Pariah's powers anyway? Flying and crying, appearing at every disaster and moaning about it? What a loser!

If DC gave half the push to characters like Lady Quark or Big Barda or Vixen that they kept giving to Wonder Woman, I wonder if they'd have more luck reinventing Diana over and over in an attempt to make her fit into whatever niche they want to mash her into.

DC's alternately neglectful and abusive treatment of all their female characters except Wonder Woman is sickening! To go back to Kimiyo, they put her in the Justice League only for her to be freaking written out immediately! She didn't even get a dignified exit! Knowing a bit about DC's office politics of the time, I almost think there may have been some anti-Wolfman sentiment among other writers and editors, because he had lost his editorial position shortly after Crisis after airing some dirty laundry to the fan press.

Read LEGIONS OF 7 WORLDS in the Bits forum:

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 1 (COMPLETED)

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 2 (WORK IN PROGRESS)

"Don't look for role models, girls, BE the role model."

- Legion World member HARBINGER
Fanfic Lady #806035 04/26/14 11:08 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
As for Multiversity, from my point of view, I'm extremely skeptical about this turning out really well. To me it has two things going against it: 1) Huge delays on a project from initial announcement to eventual publication pretty much never live up to the hype and anticipation. In fact I'm struggling to think of an example of one that DID live up to it all. 2) Morrison has a spotty record at best with satisfying me as a reader. There's just almost always a disconnect in his style where he never just grabs me. Basically, I think he's tremendously over-rated.

And I'll just BET you that this thing costs at least 5 bucks an issue when it's solicited. I'll be hard-pressed to take such a risk for something I feel won't deliver.

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
Lard Lad #806036 04/26/14 11:16 PM
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Paladin
Morrison has a spotty record at best with satisfying me as a reader. There's just almost always a disconnect in his style where he never just grabs me. Basically, I think he's tremendously over-rated.

Me, too, except for the superlative Flex Mentallo miniseries.

Okay, and I thought All-Star Superman and 7 Soldiers and New X-Men had their moments. But that's about it for me.

Fanfic Lady #806037 04/26/14 11:22 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Of his recent stuff, I liked Happy and Return of Bruce Wayne alright. All-Star Supe was good, and most of his Doom Patrol was excellent.

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
Set #806045 04/27/14 12:18 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard

DC's alternately neglectful and abusive treatment of all their female characters except Wonder Woman is sickening! To go back to Kimiyo, they put her in the Justice League only for her to be freaking written out immediately! She didn't even get a dignified exit! Knowing a bit about DC's office politics of the time, I almost think there may have been some anti-Wolfman sentiment among other writers and editors, because he had lost his editorial position shortly after Crisis after airing some dirty laundry to the fan press.

Exactly! And this was despite her being featured on the issue 1 cover. Oh well, at least she had some short stints since then. And her appearances in the JLU cartoon were good (she wasn't featured, but she had some great scenes - saving Superman once and Batman another time).

Oh, don't get me started. It would be nice to have Kimiyo (rightfully, IMO) take her place in the League, with her strong, forceful, and yes, slightly bitchy personality.

Lady Quark fit well in L.E.G.I.O.N., and I'm glad her death was undone.

Let's also bring back another great Wolfman creation, Kole.

And I completely agree with Set above, there are tons of other great female characters.

Harbinger, well, if they had defined her powers a bit better I think she would have been a good fit for the League. And sadly yes, she died as an archivist on Paradise Island. Off-panel, to boot.

Originally Posted by Set

He was also invulnerable to harm and could "sense danger", big whoop. He's the JLA Trouble Alert in human form.

Re Titans, to this day I'm baffled by Wolfman's choice to kill Kole and keep whiny crybaby Azrael. Right, because we need more winged people who can fly as opposed to the rarer crystalline powers that Kole possessed. I do get that the likable Kole was chosen for death because readers would miss her more, but it's still quite a waste. (She did get a good death though, unlike poor Harbinger).

Last edited by Invisible Brainiac; 04/27/14 12:22 AM.
Fanfic Lady #806046 04/27/14 12:20 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Re Morrison, sometimes I think he focuses too much on the weird concepts he's bringing in. Sometimes, like in some of his JLA issues, he can handle them all. Other times, he just seems to get stuck in the quicksand (see: JLA, Rock of Ages and Final Crisis). Sometimes the weird concepts are so overblown that they detract from the overall story, and it becomes "weirdness for the sake of cool" rather than "weirdness for the sake of telling a good story".

Fanfic Lady #806049 04/27/14 01:24 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
For the longest time the only Morrison I'd ever read was JLA and I was like "why do people constantly go on about how great this guy is?" That run is so over-praised IMO.

But then I read All-Star Superman and Seven Soldiers and Batman (particularly 'The Black Glove') and... NOW I GET IT! This man can write!

I would definitely call myself a fan now. I'm trying to complete a collection of his Doom Patrol to see how his early work compares.

Jury's still out on Multiversity though. The slightest reference to anything DCFU-related and I'm not buying it.

Fanfic Lady #806055 04/27/14 03:43 AM
Tempus Fugitive
Online Confused
Tempus Fugitive
Doom Patrol stands up pretty well. There were a few sagging moments for me, particularly when they were off world. It picked up again, building towards the end.

Zenith is well worth a read. It has the early Morrison pinching ideas form every book and favourite comic he has. The result is a lot of other people's really good ideas all in one storyline. A lot of concepts taken from Alan Moore's Captain Britain/Marvelman. A situation that hasn't really changed form then to Multiversity. smile

In fact, considering Zenith's overall plot, you could read it as an alternative to Multiversity. Yeowell's art really takes off as the story progresses and that's well worth looking at.

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Invisible Brainiac #806066 04/27/14 06:38 AM
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Invisible Brainiac
Sometimes the weird concepts are so overblown that they detract from the overall story, and it becomes "weirdness for the sake of cool" rather than "weirdness for the sake of telling a good story".

Agreed. That's why I never got into his Doom Patrol run.

I had forgotten, though, that I did like a lot of stuff from his Animal Man, although it has a lot of flaws.

Blacula #806067 04/27/14 06:42 AM
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Blacula
For the longest time the only Morrison I'd ever read was JLA and I was like "why do people constantly go on about how great this guy is?" That run is so over-praised IMO.

My sentiments exactly. What's really depressing to me is that JLA came right after what I consider his masterpiece, the Flex Mentallo mini-series.

A bit of trivia: JLA wasn't Morrison's first choice for a mainstream DC property, Teen Titans was, but they'd promised it to another writer. Hmmm...that would make a good thread in the Titans forum...

Fanfic Lady #806070 04/27/14 06:52 AM
Tempus Fugitive
Online Confused
Tempus Fugitive
I think at least part of the praise on JLA was due to the huge relief that it wasn't anywhere near as poor as previous issues/runs.

Fanfic Lady #806073 04/27/14 07:07 AM
OP Offline
Good point, Thoth. There hadn't been a really solid traditional JLA story since, what, the classic JLA #200?

While I used to really abhor the back-to-basics approach, I've now come to accept it as part of the cycle of corporate properties.

That said, I still think Morrison's JLA run was all flopsweat. And smug know-it-all Batman always saving the day.

Fanfic Lady #806084 04/27/14 09:34 AM
Tempus Fugitive
Online Confused
Tempus Fugitive
It's not that I didn't enjoy the focus on lesser lights such as Zatanna, Arrow and Canary. But DC generally throws out the bathroom along with baby and bathwater. That cycle as Fanfie mentions.

There has often been that tension between the likes of Superman & Batman editorial to keep control. Added to this we now have various editorial mandates "from above" relating to marketing, pitches for this or that or for one of the many drafts for "Events."

So Conway's JLA suffered. Likewise it was very tough for later writers to get anywhere near the cast they wanted. The relaunch from Legends is a good example of numerous competing issues.

Compare Morrison getting his way to poor McDuffie who was forced onto the fourth version of every idea he came up with issue after issue.

Morrison did create little niches for his characters. Much as he did for the X-Men. Personality traits were enhanced.

Batman was aloof and distant. But there was general respect all round. Plus we got to see lots of Bat Science.

That applied to the others as well, and made each of them stand out as a distinctive voice. The problem is that there's often a failure to remember those traits are enhanced briefly for a reason. Before you know it, everyone is a complete basket case to each other. Which is most of Batman over recent decades.

Fanfic Lady #806101 04/27/14 02:50 PM
OP Offline
Morrison did create little niches for his characters. Much as he did for the X-Men. Personality traits were enhanced.

Batman was aloof and distant. But there was general respect all round. Plus we got to see lots of Bat Science.

That applied to the others as well, and made each of them stand out as a distinctive voice. The problem is that there's often a failure to remember those traits are enhanced briefly for a reason. Before you know it, everyone is a complete basket case to each other. Which is most of Batman over recent decades.

While I can see the reasoning behind the enhanced traits, I am also of the opinion that Morrison's portrayal of Batman in JLA was just as heavy-handed as those which followed.

Fanfic Lady #806113 04/27/14 05:14 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Morrison's Batman evolved a lot over the years. He's almost contemptuous of him in Arkham Asylum and Gothic, then he's elevated far above his stature to hang with the gods in JLA. I think he finally really starts to break through in the JLA:Classified arc that leads into 7 Soldiers (where he teams him with Squire). Eventually, of course, he gets to the point where he takes over the Bat books and does his epic multi-year run where he pulls in every iteration of the character and tries (and very nearly succeeds) in making it work. Another reason to hate on the New52, as it really threw a wrench into the works and diminished the end of what was shaping up into a huge epic.

Getting back on topic, one thing I think that makes or breaks Morrison for a lot of people is his artistic collaborators. He likes to leave a lot "between the panels" and certain artists really make that work and others really, really don't. He seems at his best when the synergy seems to be firing on all cylinders. Since Multiversity is essentially him working with a hand-picked crew of his favourites, I'm hopeful we'll see some of his better alchemy at work.

Last edited by Dave Hackett; 04/27/14 05:15 PM.
thoth lad #806495 04/30/14 10:57 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
That's a good insight, Dave. A lot of Morrison stories "jump" from scene to scene and it takes a skilled artist with good storytelling ability to fill in the blanks.

While I can see the reasoning behind the enhanced traits, I am also of the opinion that Morrison's portrayal of Batman in JLA was just as heavy-handed as those which followed.

My memory of Morrison's JLA run is hazy, but I do remember Batman was my least favorite member then. I did appreciate his occasional focus on some of the smaller-name heroes.

I think at least part of the praise on JLA was due to the huge relief that it wasn't anywhere near as poor as previous issues/runs.

My memories of Morrison's JLA run agree with this tongue

Fanfic Lady #806553 05/01/14 04:49 PM
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Invisible Brainiac
My memory of Morrison's JLA run is hazy, but I do remember Batman was my least favorite member then.

Yay Ibby! Your taste is impeccable. nod

Fanfic Lady #806555 05/01/14 05:10 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Great minds think alike, Fanfie nod

Fanfic Lady #806566 05/01/14 06:13 PM
OP Offline
Indeed! grin

Fanfic Lady #808027 05/14/14 07:01 PM
OP Offline

Fanfic Lady #808191 05/16/14 04:59 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
AAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!! AAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!

Oh there are noises and liquids coming out of my face holes right now from excitement!

Fanfic Lady #808192 05/16/14 05:11 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Online Confused
Tempus Fugitive
Can I get you a tissue?

Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,021
Posts1,045,234
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
JackMythos
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star