Roll Call
0 members (), 38 Murran Spies, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 12:16 PM
Kill This Thread LII - The End of the Deck of Cards
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 12:16 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:58 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:57 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:56 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:55 AM
Legion Trivia 6
by thoth lad - 05/09/24 03:34 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 13 of 14 1 2 11 12 13 14
Re: Legion Worlds Two (Fanfic - updated 25 January)
Harbinger #836880 01/26/15 04:26 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Love how Thunder's intellect and wisdom manifested itself in both learning how to pilot a cruiser, and in taking command of the conversation with Dirk so!

Loved Dirk's fascination with the beautiful mind of Thunder, and his comparison of himself to Nura - spot on! Both do love all the attention they can get, physical or otherwise.

Poor Jenni and Jed, being admonished so for forgetting to use their flight rings tongue Otherwise they did pretty well though.

Harbinger #836951 01/27/15 08:21 AM
R
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
R
Yeah, I loved the Dirk/Cece chat! It's really easy to fall into the trap of writing Dirk without any depth, I know I tend to keep him in that role a lot of the time...so it's really good to see him as being more three-dimensional without losing his personality smile

Harbinger #836961 01/27/15 10:57 AM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
The hooded figure was a man in his fifties, slim built though showing a slight paunch.

In his arms was a sick looking thin young girl of perhaps six or seven with droopy eyes and a very pallid complexion. Around the top of the man’s head sat a crown of sorts that appeared to be constructed out of scavenged pieces of technology with a microphone arcing around before his mouth. He muttered to himself quietly as he stared at the great beast outside the station. The girl in his arms looked out with adoration as the Dragon flew its sensuous dance.

“Mon ami, excuse uzz...” Jacques started to speak but with a flick of his eyes the man acknowledged the Legionnaire and continued to mutter to himself, his eyes dropping to the young girl in his arms for a second before staring intently at the beast outside the station again. Jenni managed to clear a space around them, her rapid circling of the man and Invisible Kid’s appearance out of thin air caused the crowds to step back several paces.

“She needs to see this...” the man’s voice was so quiet that Invisible Kid was unsure if he had heard it. “Shehenna used to play with a dragon doll we picked up on the Ooroubos Station Vac-Yard and use her personal holo-width to create battles with you Legionnaires... she always had you all become good friends in the end. I just wanted her to see it come true before... before the inevitable.” The older man looked down at the girl, his eyes heavy with unshed tears.

Legion Worlds NINE - wait, there's even more ongoing amazing adventures? Yup, and you'll only find them in the Bits o' Legionnaire Business Forum.
Harbinger #836962 01/27/15 10:57 AM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
“Mon ami... is zis your daughter...”

“Yes, my only child and she’s been so sick... so incredibly brave as she fought it but... I only wanted her to see her dreams come true. She’s been so brave.” His voice caught on the emotion and Jacques Foccart reached out to support him.

“You are controlling ze dragon?” Invisible Kid was incredulous.

“Not really, I triggered it’s mating urges and have planted a suggestion in its mind that we’re a receptive young female... the poor thing will be so confused when... when it ends. I sent the call out for you as well. The station will prosecute me... but it’s worth every credit I have.”

“But until then... your daughter deserves her dream, it’s only for a short while.” Jacques thought about how he was willing to run the gauntlet of the debris of Brainiac 5’s destroyed laboratory to save Danielle from Computo all those years ago and understood the man’s raw desperation. He was also sure that any fines this man incurred could be paid by Brande’s Charitable Fund to Support the Heroic. And if not then Jacques had money and he would help, to help this man give his dying daughter this final treat would be worth every space credit.

“Mon ami, I am Jacques Foccart, they call me ze ...”

“The Invisible Kid, I know, Shehenna loves the colour yellow so you were one of her favourites... I’m Ethannsh Morden. Thank you Jacques, I wish we had met under better circumstances... Is Dawnstar with you? Shehenna used to say she wanted to be that beautiful when she grew up...”

With that the man who controlled the space dragon and had brought the Legion here to fulfil his only child’s dying dream called out in pain and doubled over, almost dropping his daughter.

Legion Worlds NINE - wait, there's even more ongoing amazing adventures? Yup, and you'll only find them in the Bits o' Legionnaire Business Forum.
Harbinger #836963 01/27/15 10:58 AM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
Sun Boy and Thunder flew between the Space Dragon and the station, both very aware that the great beasts’ body was bigger than a moopball pitch with its long prehensile tail, spiky neck and hooked wings expansively flapping at its side easily tripling its overall size.

Dirk flew in circles. His flaming plasma trail burned brightly against the deep indigo of space, out here at the boundary of two Oort clouds where no sun’s light dominated. Initially the great beast had backed away as if uncertain how to deal with the strange being before it though after several seconds it swerved to avoid him then continued its sinuous dance in the vacuum closer to the floating factory.

“Good try Dirk, it’s certainly tenacious isn’t it? If you want to I can see if I can muscle it away from the station?” Cece Beck’s voice echoed across the telepathic relay.

“I’d rather we didn’t hurt it Cece, it may not realise it’s where it shouldn’t be…”

“Dirk, there’s no way this behaviour is accidental… a space dragon almost a light year from where they have ever been recorded before doing a mating dance to a plexi-screen of a factory ship? No my friend, this is deliberate….”

“Yeah, you’re right Cece, and even with all that, it hasn’t tried to hurt anyone or even accidentally hurt anyone while it’s here. It’s just dancing for the crowds below… totally weird! We should have brought a telepath to read it’s mind, find out what it’s doing here.”

“Good idea Dirk, that’s what we’ll do…” Thunder vanished as she flew away at great speed. Sun Boy smiled, he had been just as impulsive and headstrong when he had been the newbie on the team and he reckoned he’d turned out okay so wasn’t going to criticise anyone else with a proactive can-do attitude… especially one as pretty as Cecelia Beck

Harbinger #836964 01/27/15 10:58 AM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
Within a few seconds Cece had returned and carried a gray cargo box that overflowed with bits of a computer system. Dirk didn’t ask where she had ….borrowed the equipment from, he found he was far more interested in what she planned to do with it.

“How does this sound to you Dirk, you are a closeted techy boy at heart aren’t you?” The slightly teasing tone in her telepathic message made Dirk cough with unexpected laughter, “I’m going to set up our earplugs and flight rings to generate a moderate sized TP field that will encompass the dragon. Hopefully we can share thoughts with it and get to the bottom of this… sound good to you?”

Even as she spoke through their flight ring and earplug generated telepathic relay Thunder zoomed around and after pulling the earplug from her left ear and placing it delicately on the top of her construction she waved at the senior Legionnaire to let him know to get ready; she then flew towards the dragon. The great beast continued its display ignoring the Legionnaire. As she got close she slipped around the back of its head and held her construction in the box against the base of its enormous skull.

There was a moment of excruciating feedback that almost caused Sun Boy to black out. Thunder was back at his side before he had even put his hands to his head. The box with her telepathic field generating machine hung from one hand casually.

“Dirk, are you okay there? Sorry about that. Really didn’t expect it to do that though it makes perfect sense… there’s someone else controlling the poor beast using an artificial TP field. That feedback…”

“…was caused as the Schroon-loop arti-face encountered the Titanian Go-field…. the strange-logic interferes with quantum entanglement used by the Quark Relay. Hey, I’m the closeted techy boy at heart remember? Though give me astro-nav and fast cruisers any day... that really wasn’t pleasant!”

Sun Boy turned away from Thunder to look in at the crowd watching the dragon’s display from the relative safety of the factory ship. He knew now for certain that the answer to this strange situation lay inside the factory ship.

“Mon ami…” Jacques distinctive voice came through the telepathic relay, “You ‘ave to stop what you are doin’, we should let ‘im continue doin’ zis… it won’t be for too much longer..”

Harbinger #836965 01/27/15 10:59 AM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
In the end young Shehenna lived for a little under eight more minutes.

Her father finally cried during the last two of them.

Her eyes had already closed and it was apparent she would not be opening them again to see any more of the dancing dragon he had brought for her or the Legionnaires he had tricked into being here. Her tiny fragile looking hand slowly relaxed its grip on his beard and even after her head had rolled back, succumbing to gravity as her final breath left her body, she still smiled. The display he had put on today by controlling the young dragon would be remembered here in this floating space station for a very long time. The arrival of the Legionnaires made it doubly certain. Ethannsh was sure that his daughter’s name would be remembered alongside such inspirational events. What more could he have asked for?

Shehenna would become a legend as the girl whose dying wish had brought a space dragon here to this god awful space factory over a light year from the nearest civilised planet to play with the Legion. It was exactly as she had always dreamed.

Jacques Foccart in semi-transparent form and the two new so far less well known members of the team had avoided much of the crowds attentions though now with Sun Boy – a well-established favourite for fans of all ages – arriving on the station the interest that had been shown towards the dragon’s exotic and unexpected display turned to the senior Legionnaire. With easy grace he landed well away from Invisible Kid, drawing the exciting mass of beings away from the grieving father and the Legionnaires alongside him. Thunder took to Dirk’s side and smiled the biggest smile as she helped take the focus away from Jacques, Jenni and Jed. Along the TP links they arranged what to do. Jenni had rushed to find a personal transporter so Ethannsh could take his daughter to the morgue and grieve in private. Jed stood silently, his arms folded as he stared down any of the crowd that tried to approach. No-one tried too hard, Ethannsh’s obvious pain and the serious looking Legionnaires were enough to discourage any blatant nosiness or interference. The in-house security ‘bots backed away from the flash of Jed’s flight ring as the Legionnaire’s ambassadorial status intimidated their short-life AI orders.

Harbinger #836966 01/27/15 10:59 AM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
XS arrived back moments later in an egg shaped personnel carrier, big enough for Jacques and her to fit in comfortably with Ethannsh and his daughter. Jenni had the foresight to pre-program the auto-nav system to take them to the factory ships medi-centre and morgue, a calm automated voice assured them they would reach their destination shortly. Jed volunteered to stay behind; both of his teammates didn’t say a word though understood that he wanted the moment with the crowds. The purple skinned young man had studied for years in the academy then worked on Tarkon-Galtos for well over a year before making the jump to full Legion membership. Neither Jacques nor Jenni really understood Jed or Dirk or some of the other Legionnaire’s want for recognition. Both were content knowing when they had completed their job well, that was the reward they strove towards.

The Factory security ultimately was cowed into dropping all thoughts of pressing charges as the Legionnaires supported the grieving parent. Invisible Kid and XS stayed with Ethannsh for four hours while Sun Boy spoke with the Factory owners. The fiery Legionnaire took Thunder and Power Boy with him and telepathically asked them to keep their arms crossed and stare at the owner as the conversation took place. Sometimes, he explained, a little intimidation could go a long way. The owners agreed with the Legionnaires that Ethannsh had acted with an incredible amount of courage and dignity constructing a contraption to ward off the attacking dragon while his daughter died in his arms... the grieving parent should be honoured by the Hong-Nike Corporation for putting its welfare before his own or his terminally ill daughters. Both sides knew it was a lie though the official statement was agreed and Sun Boy thanked the owner.

As he turned to leave Dirk casually mentioned they would be leaving a Legion comm unit here to check in with Ethannsh in the months and years to come so would be overjoyed to learn he was being treated well...

Cece patted Dirk lightly on the shoulder as they walked out of the office and smiled. Dirk kept his chin up as he called the team together and with a final flamboyant wave to the crowds they boarded their shuttle to fly out to the cruiser. Thunder was the only one present that saw Sun Boy wipe the small tears from his eyes as he took to the pilots chair for the way home.

Other than her offering to get him a cup of caff they didn’t speak much on the return flight.

Harbinger #836967 01/27/15 11:03 AM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
Originally I wrote this to go alongside the Team Orange adventure but didn't get it right so have been re-writing it as I posted the Emerald Empresses story instead.

IB and Raz, thanks again for your kind words above - Cece taking control of the ship was a prety crude metaphor for her taking ccontrol of the conversation. Guess you spotted it then IB smile oh well, I must try harder.

Just a few more character moments are coming next alongside the leader vote as I wind down part 2 of the Legion Worlds stories.

Harbinger #836969 01/27/15 12:26 PM
Deputy
Deputy
i like Cece and Dirk's potential friendship. I've never been a big Dirk fan. but here he's got so much heart. its also a great to see, in opposition to the scene you did with him and Gravity Kid.

This was such a bitter sweet mission. Ethannsh story both broke and repaired my heart. great job!

read the adventures of the Reboot Legion!

http://www.legionworld.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=001232
Harbinger #837037 01/28/15 07:35 AM
R
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
R
Good use of the wisdom of Solomon! It's easy to forget Marvels can be clever when we generally only see them punch stuff! I really liked that little side-story and the Legion's compassion coming out on top smile

Harbinger #837038 01/28/15 07:39 AM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
Legion World, Sol system, 2.5 light minutes due galactic north of Saturn. March 31st 3015, 0612 hours

Professor Harmonia Li bit into a red apple.

The juice ran down her chin and onto her wrist as she crunched and chewed. Her eyes were closed and there was a look of simple bliss on her face. This was the first apple to grow on Legion World, the first of many she hoped. The hydroponic unit had been in need of attention when the team had taken over the planetoid and she had made this one of her first tasks to get it up and running. They had had a small crop of peppers, chilli’s, Clementine’s, Zuunian junji’s, sharp Aaroki strawberries but the ancient elemental had to admit that she loved apples most of all. It was the single fruit she had endeavoured to cultivate; their crunchy exterior and flesh underneath, their tough pulpy texture as she ate; their sweet sticky juice and tangy fresh aftertaste. She nibbled around the core delicately.

The moment was perfect.

As she finished crunching upon the fruit she wiped the gloved back of her hand across her mouth and chin. Before her the small plot set aside for apple trees looked, for that moment, as if it had been a present directly from heaven itself. Harmonia nodded her head towards them as she then knelt down and with a small gesture the soft ground beside the tree where she had plucked the apple from opened into a hole in which she delicately popped the remaining core. The soft soil flopped back covering it as she stood up to leave.

It was time to attend the final senior team meeting before she formally opened up the electioneering process. She sincerely hoped someone would come forward to run as team leader for, as much as she learned a lot in the time she had been deputy then stand-in for the full leader, she understood this role did not make her entirely comfortable. It had taken her away from both the science laboratory where she was happiest and here in the orchard were she was most at peace.

Well, Professor Harmonia Li thought to herself, in less than a day from now she would know one way or another and right now she had the senior team meeting to prepare for as it was planned to start at 0700... The ancient Elemental walked purposefully to her private quarters, her mind already focussing on the day ahead.

Harbinger #837039 01/28/15 07:40 AM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
Legion World, Sol system, 2.5 light minutes due galactic north of Saturn. March 31st 3015, 0810 hours

Douglas Nolan and Nasir N’Cube had a bet on and as both were rather stubborn neither wanted to be the first to concede victory if they could help it.

The two young men had to simply complete a circuit in the gymnasium without using their abilities that had at least a single difficulty rating higher on each exercise than the circuit just completed by their opponent. At first the starting level they had agreed on had been easy; run a loop of the lower mezzanine track in under three minutes, lift 70lbs, 60 squat thrusts and sit ups and pull ups each, and a race up a spiralled stairwell within five minutes... though with each circuit their time limits got tighter and weights got heavier.

Currently Douglas had completed his ninth circuit and the sweat ran down his face as he gasped for breath. He had needed to sprint full pelt around the circuit, very aware that Nasir was a much keener runner than he was, though the weights and stamina training had been more in his favour. Still, lifting the 232lbs deadweight had hurt; Doug’s arms, shoulders and lower back all started to twinge with the precursor of the major complaining aches to come.

They had drawn a small crowd that cheered and booed with equal measure as the two young men drove themselves through each task. Zoe Sauguin had contacted most of their team mates to let them know they were missing a show and within minutes the four spectators had quadrupled... Gazelle had set herself up as unofficial bookie, taking bets from fifteen or so of the spectators.

Timber Wolf, Cosmic Boy, Mon El, Night Girl, Polar Boy and Element Lad all cheered alongside the more junior members and a few Academy students. Surprising more than a few, Harmonia and Brainiac 5 arrived several minutes after Zoes’ call went out and joined in as well. This was an event that it seemed everyone was enjoying.

Drura, Dr Kabbo and Dr Shakespeare turned up with several flasks of recovery fluids and the stated goal of being there to support the health of competitors. They didn’t fool anyone as they joined in with the cheering and jeering; the Legion World doctor even had a small jig alongside Jan Arrah at one point.

Laurel Kent, Jazmin Cullen, two of Luornu Durgos’ duplicates, Amp Girl from the Academy students and Grava attempted to recreate a cheer leading routine that ended up with them in a comet gas streaming line of complaining bodies on the floor, which of course added greatly to the hilarity of the moment. They each took an ironically gracious bow as they staggered to their feet.

At one point Hadru was loudly booed as it appeared he was stretching out towards Nasir – the cries of foul were good natured though Professor Dox calmed the braying crowd by reassuringly saying his palm scanner had found no evidence of any catalytic assistance being given.

Harbinger #837040 01/28/15 07:40 AM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
Nasir N’Cube sprinted around the circuit, setting the new in-house record. Douglas knew as he watched that there was little chance he could beat the incredible time so hoped the tall telepath would fail in one of the other tasks or it would soon be over. It would all come down to this circuit... the squats involved alternating front kicks, something the tall Titanian had found a little problematic in previous rounds but this time he visibly clenched his teeth as he sped through the exercise.

Douglas admitted to himself that Nasir was an incredibly gifted athlete but he hoped, really wished, that the telepath would just fall on his backside so this competition would be all over... The press ups now included at 50 lb weight on the competitors back and they still had to include clapping hands fully as they pushed up; their next round according to the gym auto-monitor they would be doing the press ups on their knuckles as added difficulty.

The pull ups that followed looked torturous – weights were attached to the young telepaths ankles and he could only use one hand for the first thirty, the other hand for the final thirty. The hand not in use had to remain tucked into the small of his back as he heaved his tall muscular frame up and down. With each one a shout went up. Grava, Drura and Laurel danced excitedly, Lydda and Marya shouted their encouragement loudly, Lar, Rokk, Jan and Kent appeared to be joking amongst themselves as they joined in.... although he knew it was not in keeping with the spirit of sportsmanship Douglas kept thinking “just slip, please! I don’t want to lose...”

Nasir N’Cube was freely sweating and breathing hard but completed the circuit with a whole three seconds to spare. The crowd cheered, and Douglas clapped along in genuine support. Everyone thought he looked both exhausted and jubilant. From Douglas Nolans’ body language it was apparent to the spectators that he was not keen to try again. A couple of people approached Gazelle and casually tried to change their bets though the Khund made it very clear that once credits had been exchanged there was no going back. Despite the obvious physical pain the mutant Legionnaire felt he flew up to the start of the lower mezzanine running track and prepared himself for his next challenging circuit.

As the buzzer sounded he sprung forward and tore around the course as fast as he could.

The next couple of minutes were agony as his already sore muscles strained and his determination was stretched and pushed to breaking point. As he crossed the finish line in a wild skid the buzzer sounded and the in-house AI announced that Legionnaire Ferro had failed the task, his running time was 5 point 3 seconds slower than his competitor.

Douglas Nolan lay on the track and loudly gasped for breath. As he started to stand up Nasir N’Cube flew up to the mezzanine and offered his hand, helping Doug onto his feet. Below them the crowd cheered, jeered, laughed and generally enjoyed the moment. It was noted by a few that Gazelle appeared particularly happy with her takings.

“Well done Doug, you really pushed me. No-one’s been able to do that in absolute years.” Nasir hugged Doug as he spoke, both young men grateful that they would not need to do any further laps of their circuit. Until the next challenge, of course...

Both new Legionnaires knew they had provided a good distraction to the important business ahead: today was the day for the team to vote for the next Legion leader. That was a far more important competition to take place that would decide the winners and losers for the coming year.

Harbinger #837041 01/28/15 07:41 AM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
Legion World, Sol system, 2.5 light minutes due galactic north of Saturn. March 31st 3015, 0900 hours

Harmonia formally opened the vote, announcing that all voting would be done in private. She told everyone that Element Lad and Cosmic Boy had both openly expressed an interest that morning at the senior team though also stressed to those present that this did not mean these two Legionnaires were their only option. With a laugh she asked no-one vote for her, there were far more suitable candidates she added. She gave a reminder that only those members that had seen at least a full year’s active service were eligible to assume the leadership duties. M’windaji ribbed Titan that this edict had blown the tall telepath’s chances of becoming the boss for at least another year. Titan blew a raspberry as reply. Both young men laughed.

As the current leader finished speaking Polar Boy shouted from the back of the room that he too wanted another shot at the big chair... several people were heard to groan, cough and snicker, though Harmonia only bowed her head as a respectful acknowledgement of Brek’s enthusiasm.

As her final act as leader she also expressed some simple rules: All full time Legionnaires and members of Brainiac 5’s support team were eligible to vote and the vote would be open for the next ten hours. No-one saw who Harmonioa voted for though many speculated it would be Brainiac 5. They were wrong, though she never said.

Mon El, Cosmic Boy, Chameleon Boy, Brainiac 5, Duplicate Girl, Andromeda, Shield, Timber Wolf, Kid Quantum, Element Lad, Dr Shakespeare and Polar Boy all stepped forward to vote. Gazelle offered to take bets on who would be the next leader and deputy but none of her teammates took the Khundian up on her offer, much to her disappointment.

Harbinger #837042 01/28/15 07:42 AM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
Once again, thank you for your support guys, I've written out about ten more posts but ratherhan dump them all on you in one go I'll post a few each day until the weekend.

Harbinger #837054 01/28/15 11:34 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
What a touching story on with the Space Dragon! You really made me feel for the poor man and his poor daughter. And in such a short number of posts too, well done!

Titan is just so perfect, and such a nice guy too. He's definitely the ambitious and disciplined type. Nice going, contrasting him with Ferro's own thoughts. And it's great to see their physicality being highlighted, it's great to see there's a lot more to our heroes than just their powers.

And loved that you had Zoe be the one to call all her teammates to watch - that is so her!

Looking forward to seeing who the leader is. The bit with everyone groaning about Brek was priceless!

Harbinger #837124 01/29/15 09:02 AM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
Harmonia Li had voted for Element Lad. Jan had openly expressed interest and she knew he would make a worthy team leader. She also knew he respected her time in the laboratory...

Mon El had made up his mind well in advance before the privacy screen swept over him though he still took the time to have one more look at the full list of candidates. As he expected her name was there and the Daxamite reached across and pressed her icon. After losing her husband Luornu Durgo had shown such incredible fortitude and determination he knew that she would make an incredible leader.

Cosmic Boy voted for Mon El. He knew Lar was up for the role so it was an easy decision. Although he wanted the job for himself, whatever the outcome Rokk would give the new leader his full support.

Chameleon Boy thought both candidates deserved the leader’s job... Rokk or Jan... as Element Lad’s icon was closest he pressed it. “Sorry Rokk...” he said quietly to himself as he left the privacy field. Either would be great for the team and neither would complain if they didn’t win. As far as Reep was concerned so long as it was one or the other he would be happy with the result.

Harbinger #837125 01/29/15 09:03 AM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
Brainiac 5 pressed Element Lad’s icon. To the Coluan’s point of view there was no other sensible choice.

Duplicate Girl had voted in many elections though none in recent years. She had considered Cosmic Boy and Element Lad though in the end she decided to vote for Brainiac 5. With the team being on a new base in space and hosting the Academy as well as introducing so many new members recently they needed someone who could keep a tack of everything that was happening. Querl Dox was the only person she knew that would be able to do all of that comfortably. She hoped Brainy wouldn’t mind too much having to take a break from his damn laboratories and getting his hands dirty on a few more missions... That was supposed to be a Legionnaires job afterall, she thought to herself as she pressed the Coluan Legionnaire’s icon.

Timber Wolf swept the board with his eyes before pressing the icon. He’d never really warmed to Jan and as Jo was no longer around in his opinion really that only left Brainy... the Coluan wasn’t always reliable but at least he got there in the end. And with Kara back amongst them full time now he did seem a lot calmer. At the final instant Brin drew his hand away from Brainiac 5’s icon and pressed the one below it... Dawnstar! He had always found her to be cool, calm, organised and he believed she fully deserved to have a chance at leadership. She had certainly proved her worth when they were stranded in the past. Brin nodded to himself and left the poling area satisfied with his choice. Several of Laurel’s friends had arranged to meet in Shakes after voting so while she was there he needed to have a word with Gahaji, hopefully the young tracker with the transmutative magical stone would be able to do him a big favour...

Harbinger #837126 01/29/15 09:03 AM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
Andromeda looked at the holo display. There were little doubts in her mind. Jan Arrah got her immediate vote. She had always liked Element Lad and thought it was time he got the credit he was due for all the dedication he put into his life in the Legion.

Shield smiled as the display popped up before her. While she wanted Brin to get the recognition she felt he deserved she also knew he would never accept being the teams leader so instead she pressed Sun Boy’s icon. As she did she thought ‘let’s see him party when he has the team’s budget to fret over.’ Laurel laughed as she left the privacy field causing a few of her colleagues that had gathered outside to glance her way in mild concern.

Kid Quantum considered Element Lad but at the last minute she changed her mind and pressed Rokk Krinn’s icon. Cosmic Boy had struck her as so cool on Major Grant’s Corp Stellar Station in the H’Rudi system and god-dammit he was a founder! Yup, Cosmic Boy for leader! Jazmin was pleased with her choice and hoped enough of her peers agreed with her and voted the same way. Element Lad was great but she decided that this time the man for the job was Cosmic Boy.

Element Lad voted for Duplicate Girl. In his mind she had in-depth knowledge of virtually every member having either battled alongside them or had taught them while at the Academy and she was perhaps the fairest person he had ever met apart perhaps from Imra Ardeen. While he wouldn’t object to winning this vote himself he thought Luornu Durgo would make a great leader.

Dr Richard Kent Shakespeare looked at the icon field before him and considered the options seriously. The team appeared to have a few front runners that everyone expected to get the post though in his opinion the team needed a fresh perspective to deal with the rather unique position it had found itself in with their new base being in space and the recent increased membership. With that in mind he considered who would have the gravitas and experience to hold the respect of the senior team yet be a ‘new broom’ to sweep away the old and take hold of the new situation they now found themselves in. Dirk Morgna hid an incredibly sharp mind behind the flippant play boy facade and Dr Shakespeare thought it was about time he used it. With that thought he flicked Sun Boy’s icon.

Polar Boy voted for himself. He was the only Legionnaire to vote for themself and it was the only vote he received, even his friend Hadru voted for Jan Arrah despite the many dozens of hints Brek had not so subtly dropped in the last few days.

Harbinger #837127 01/29/15 09:03 AM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
Legion Cruiser 12, Sol system, Saturn space lanes. March 31st 3015, 1245 hrs.

Tel Vole stood behind Troy Stewart on the Command Deck as the senior Legionnaire plotted their course through the many small moons and settlement traffic that continually spun around Saturn and its beautiful rings. They were returning to Legion World after a diplomatic visit to Titan that Tel thought had really been nothing more than a publicity stunt... still it had been quite nice to stand alongside Rooni Mugatosh and Ban Streena, two of the galaxy’s most famous holo-actors, as the Titanian ruling House formally opened their parliament for another thirteen standard month season.

Tel didn’t know why Tyroc had chosen him to be part of the group that attended the ceremony to show the Legion’s support but he was grateful for the experience, if only because he could confirm to Jed that Rooni Mugatosh was short... really really short! Jed would be so jealous he’d missed the chance to tower over the enormously popular actor. As Tel looked at the nav-screen the conversation turned towards the day’s leadership vote.

“You’d make a great Legion leader Troy, are you sure you don’t want to...?”

“Nah, definitely not for me Tel, though it sounds like Harmonia has done a great job....”

“She said she doesn’t want to do it again.”

Sade’s warm voice interrupted the two men as she walked onto the deck. Tyroc waved an arm towards her as a hello though didn’t take his eyes from the hard light nav-screens before him. Gravity Kid turned and smiled at the Rimborian teleporter as she walked over to Tyroc’s side and gently rested her hand on his shoulders and stared at the screens.

“So...” continues Tel, “...who will you vote for Sade?”

“Probably.... umm... either Jan or Dirk. They’re both pretty competent don’t ya think?”

“Dirk won’t do it.” Troy said

“Yeah, he doesn’t exactly strike me as leader material...” Tel knew he sounded sulky as he said it so quickly added with a faux joviality, “... well, it would interrupt his social life wouldn’t it?” He could feel the blush rise in his cheeks so before either of his team mates could say anything else he made the excuse of looking for Otaki and Dragonmage and left the Deck. As the door shut behind him Sade started to laugh.

“Do you think our li’l gravity manipulator has an unrequited crush going on there? If he’s looking to stray from his muscled hunk-band I wouldn’t think Dirk would be the first option... Sun Boy’s definitely a femme only loving kind of guy... ”

“Nah, it’s not that Sade. Listen, Brin told me that Dirk told Tel off for dissing Lar on Colu during the Dark Sister crisis. Read him the riot act supposedly.”

“Really? Whoa, dissing Lar? Wow, that’s stupid! Though I didn’t think Dirk’d have that much heart... he’s definitely getting my vote now. ” She gave a wicked laugh and ran her finger tips across Tyroc’s scalp.

“You’d be surprised what Dirk will do for the people he cares for Sade.... Why’d you think Tel and Jed never go on missions together? Anyway, ‘nuff gossip talk, time for business...” The sonic manipulating Legionnaire brought his right hand up to his mouth and announced through the flight ring communication relay that they were approaching Legion World so they could expect to land within the minute.

Harbinger #837128 01/29/15 09:03 AM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
Legion World, Sol system, 2.5 light minutes due galactic north of Saturn. March 31st 3015, 1430 hours

It was her time to vote for the next Legion Leader.

Lydda knew what was expected of her. Rokk had, in his not so subtle fashion, made it clear he wanted to be considered for the post again. Previously, not too many years ago now, the stress of it had led to them to split up and she had left the team to return to teach at the Academy as a result. They had worked through their differences and as hard as it had been to do now they were far stronger as a couple. It really hadn’t been easy getting there though.

After Cosmic Boy had split up their relationship – something in hindsight he was absolutely right to do as they had not been happy for a long time - Ral and Ulu had taken her out for meal and the three old friends had shared a conversation that had changed her life. Ral Benem had started it, stuttering as he brought it up but in a moment of utter painful honesty he asked Lydda if she had always seen herself as such a ball buster... Ulu had almost choked on the rum battered artichoke heart he had just gently plopped onto his tongue. Lydda had been startled by the question and Colour Kid’s obvious discomfort.

Was this how others saw her?

Sure she was driven, focussed and disciplined... that’s what it took to succeed, everyone knew that! She had always set herself goals that others had dismissed as unachievable... from becoming a Legionnaire (...okay, so originally it had been as a Sub... but she had gotten past that one...) and dating Cosmic Boy, through to having an apartment in central Metropolis on Earth and training in martial arts besides some of the galaxy’s leading sensei. She had always pushed herself without thought of failure.

As a result she had missed out on a lot of things that her peers from Kathoon had experienced; she was not yet a mother for one, nor had she made it back in time for either of her nieces Shen’Shen ceremonies when they formally became adults, and in fact due to Ambush Bug infecting Metropolis she had arrived late to her own father’s funeral... None of those things were anyone’s fault but her own, she knew that, she had always known it but as Rokk needed her ... no, because she had needed to be seen to be here, to be strong, to be part of the Legion if only as one of the Founders girlfriends... she had foregone those important moments with no-one to take responsibility apart from herself.

As her friends from her time in the Substitute Legion watched on in horror Lydda Jath started to cry.

Harbinger #837129 01/29/15 09:04 AM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
Within 48 hours of that fateful conversation Lydda Jath had researched several training courses – meditation, massage and reiki, mindfulness. These were old school courses; actual physically meeting the tutors and really laying on of hands, no sleep-teacher or intelligence pill learning for her. The nuances and finesse that being taught one to one had brought were what she wanted.

Surprisingly, these gentle arts had come quite quickly to her, her focussed mind learning to let go of her pent up tension with surprising ease. Of course, she kept up her ‘ball buster’ image to the students at the Academy but day by day Lydda Jath grew in directions that she would never have expected.

When Imra had called her to discuss if she was interested in joining Garth and her for a night out in Istanbul that, perhaps, Rokk may be on Lydda had been overjoyed. The night she had spent with Cosmic Boy had surprised them both. Of course they had kept the lights on, that was a mistake they had only made once at the very start of their relationship, and at the end of it Rokks’ shoulders didn’t feel like... well, like rock, in fact while they didn’t sleep that night at all though the next was the first time she had ever known him to sleep for more than five solid hours. Her distaff training had paid off as her new skills had helped to calm the gorgeous Braalian that she had long ago dedicated her life to.

And here she was, back with the main team and once again secure in her relationship with Rokk Krinn. They were finally formally engaged and back in Sol space after their secondment to Khundia... there was just too much for them both to potentially lose if this vote didn’t go the right way.

She knew what was expected from her in this leadership vote but Lydda Jath had come to understand that drive and ambition, while admirable, sometimes stood in the way of peace of mind and so without any more thought she flicked the Legionnaire’s icon that she believed should lead the team for the next year.

Lydda Jath turned away as the computer flashed up the icon for her choice: Jan Arrah, Element Lad.

Harbinger #837130 01/29/15 09:14 AM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
Metropolis, Earth, March 31st 3015, 1615 hours

Bbob Kohan currently stood in Weissenger Plaza in Metropolis, painfully aware that he was missing the vote for Legion Leader.

He didn’t care. After leaving the Academy and being stationed on Tarkon-Galtos he had time to consider his options and though he had yet to act upon the decisions he’d come to he had realised that being a Legionnaire wasn’t ever likely going to be a realistic option. Teaching at the Academy and their recent move to the Legion World had made his decision more difficult but... honestly, he knew that he wasn’t cut from the same cloth as the team that he had found himself walking the halls alongside. He just wasn’t that determined anymore, and the horror that they had faced when Black Adam’s possessed daughters had smashed the Academy had only reinforced his opinions.

Sure, he wanted to be a hero and save lives and have crowds shout his name but then who didn’t? It was just he no longer cared for the day to day pressure that the Legionnaire’s put themselves under.

Even as he thought these things to himself he was aware that there were cries of help and an alarm buzzing near-by. Without looking he leapt into the air and flew up over the megalithic buildings at the side of the plaza. In the distance he could see the lit crown of the Chrystler Building and for a fraction of a second he wished he could just ignore the cries for help and examine its beautiful millennium old architecture... To his north was a rooftop park that slunk across the gap of two buildings... the 27th century architect Mungo Genesis had designed these sky-parks though hadn’t lived to see them built after dying in a rather shady gambling den... or so history said.

In the grassy expanse at the heart of the park he could see a chaotic crowd. Swooping lower Bbob saw what looked like a gorilla in a pale aquamarine bathing suit with a striking black pattern zig-zagged across it batter a man unconscious while behind her several plants unexpectedly erupted into growth and entangled another. As he got lower he could see a third man dash out from between two trees and hold a gun up, pointing towards the bathing suit clad gorilla. As she was in the middle of cuffing the man she had just struck out she was unaware of the threat. Bbob stretched out his hand and with a little concentration he transmutated the weapon. Even as the gunman dropped the pistol more plants erupted around him trapping him within their leafy boughs. Bbob landed not far from the trapped man and wasn’t surprised to see the slightly overweight form of Ral Benem, Chlorophyll Kid from the Substitute Legion, approach him. The long time Substitute Legionnaire smiled happily as he held out his hand to the Legion Academy tutor.

Harbinger #837131 01/29/15 09:15 AM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
“Hey, it’s Bbob the Crystal Kid... isn’t it? Really good to meet ya! Thanks for that, you sure saved Melani.” Chlorophyll Kid smiled broadly as behind him the gorilla bounced over and mid-jump transformed into a red skinned girl that Bbob now remembered from the last Legion Try Outs: Gorilla Girl, Melani Mossturn, the young woman from Mars with the limited metamorphic ability.

“Hiya, nice to meet you both. So is this a Subs mission I’m interrupting? Sorry if I’m blitzing your do...”

Gorilla Girl approached Bbob and shook his hand, her face was aglow with adrenaline and sheer happiness.

“No problem Bbob, love your shoulder pads by the way. We were out on a date and these three losers decided to try to rob that store... ha!” She pointed to the small building at the edge of the park; a shop that catered to the small tourist trade this park enjoyed. “So much fun! You should have seen their faces when they realised the Subs were onto them!” Her pride glowed.

“Oh... a date... oh cool... so, like... sorry I don’t mean to interrupt, anyway I’ll get going and let you both...”

“Hey no problem, you can join if you want. Ral’s showing me some of his favourite places in the city. Say, let us at least buy you a cup of Caff as a thank you.” Ral looked hopeful as she made the offer.

“Sure, why not. Thank you Melani... so do you Subs see more action now the Legion are off world?”

“Oh gawds above yes!” Melani Mossturn said, “Last week we stopped two robberies and helped the SP’s with some air-car robberies! It’s so super exciting... we even met the Earth Gov Lightning Girls...”

It took Bbob a couple of seconds to realise that Gorilla Girl was talking about Thunder’s three sisters who had offered their services to Earth Gov as recompense for their actions while being controlled by their fathers curse. They had been part of the Sisterhood of Lightning during the 21st century. By the time his thoughts had caught up Melani Mossturn was already talking about something completely different and so Crystal Kid only nodded a reply.

Ral Benem smiled beatifically the whole time.

Page 13 of 14 1 2 11 12 13 14

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,021
Posts1,045,244
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
JackMythos
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
jab
jab
mini mall island
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star