Roll Call
0 members (), 37 Murran Spies, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/11/24 09:37 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Eryk Davis Ester - 05/10/24 04:47 PM
Kill This Thread LII - The End of the Deck of Cards
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 04:29 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:58 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:56 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:55 AM
Legion Trivia 6
by thoth lad - 05/09/24 03:34 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Your Opinion on "Silver Age fanwank"
Kappa Kid #817256 08/16/14 07:30 PM
More Polyanna than Poison Ivy
My theory is that the readers, along with some of the creators, most notably Mark Waid, were all led to believe that the DCU would lighten up after Infinite Crisis, with most of the heroes having survived their darkest hour, and so on. But somewhere along the line -- or rather, the many lines of cocaine consumed by Johns and DiDio -- they decided to continue aiming their comics at the lowest common denominator, and to hell with their most loyal and their more discerning fans.

Read LEGIONS OF 7 WORLDS in the Bits forum:

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 1 (COMPLETED)

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 2 (WORK IN PROGRESS)

"Don't look for role models, girls, BE the role model."

- Legion World member HARBINGER
Kappa Kid #817273 08/16/14 08:20 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
I suspect the corporate nature of mainstream comics has a big impact on the lack of genuine originality. I mean... suppose I'm a writer on Superman. Then suppose I've got this idea for this really cool new planet or something I might have Superman visit, something that might be a genuinely novel introduction to the mythos. The thing is, if I actually write that story the whole idea becomes the property of DC/WB, and so it makes a lot more sense to save my genuinely cool new ideas for creator-owned stuff, and instead write the umpteenth take on the bottle city of Kandor or something.

Kappa Kid #817275 08/16/14 08:25 PM
Yeah, today's creators know the business a lot better than previous generations. It all feels like an era is slowly...very slowly...coming to an end.

Read LEGIONS OF 7 WORLDS in the Bits forum:

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 1 (COMPLETED)

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 2 (WORK IN PROGRESS)

"Don't look for role models, girls, BE the role model."

- Legion World member HARBINGER
Klar Ken T5477 #818555 08/30/14 11:09 PM
Active
Active
Originally Posted by Klar Ken T5477

The cartoon stuff Paul Dini did with Superman, Batman and the Justice League in the 90’s and OO’s was, in my mind, far more creative than what was going on in the books. He fleshed out his heroes and villains as characters, not killing machines—look what he did with Aquaman, The Question, Brainiac and Ultra-Humanite. Look at the LSH cartoon that came later: Brainiac 5 is essentially a brand-new character, Bouncing Boy and Triplicate Girl have visually interesting powers, and are actually competent, and even formidable opponents. Nemesis Kid was also re-worked, and in a much more satisfying way.

I find the paper comics of the past twenty years sadly lacking in originality: not even the wacky, off-the-wall originality of the Silver Age.

I agree and I think that the animated Superman series were some of the better Superman stories. His powers were dialed back so he wasn't quite so overpowering.

Originally Posted by WangLung
I love silver age stuff and I rather they use old characters rather than make new ones but I agree if they don't use them right it doesn't really matter.

I totally agree about the violence. It's not needed at all! I wanted to get the new 52 Wonder Woman for my daughter and took one look at it and ended that idea. I swear there's almost nothing for kids anymore. Most of the things I see now would have shocked me when I was her age. It would have put me OFF comics!

I think I'm one of the few that didn't really like Dark Knight Returns. I never thought it was all that.

I also agree about the violence. I hate to say this but maybe it wasn't such a great idea to get rid of the Comics Code. One thing about animated superheroes for broadcast & cable/satellite is that they can't have too much violence. I don't think they could make an unedited animated version of most current comic books.

Cobalt Kid #818596 08/31/14 02:03 PM
space mutineer & purveyor of quality sammitches
space mutineer & purveyor of quality sammitches
[snip]

Originally Posted by Cobalt Kid

...In addition to his great feats, Babe Ruth held the unfortunate record for most strike outs. Batman is similar: a character with so many phenomenal stories and yet, probably the character with the single greatest amount of absolute shit stories in comic book history.

It also doesn't help that marketers have rightfully determined that fans will buy any kind of rubbish so long as Batman's in it. Doesn't exactly inspire the creative teams to stretch themselves and turn out their best work.

Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on DeviantArt! Drop by and tell me that I sent you. *updated often!*
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,021
Posts1,045,250
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star