Roll Call
0 members (), 56 Murran Spies, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/28/24 02:51 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/28/24 02:50 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/28/24 02:49 AM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/28/24 02:49 AM
Legion of Super-Heroes #7 (2020) - Preview and Spoilers
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 10:06 AM
The 2nd All Avengers Thread
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 10:04 AM
So, what are you listening to?
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 06:34 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/27/24 02:11 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: FL compares episodes of pre-movie Transformers and Challenge of the GoBots
Fanfic Lady #911721 10/02/16 02:55 AM
More Polyanna than Poison Ivy
OP Offline
LONG HAUL

[Linked Image]

Alliance: Decepticons

Function: Transport

The Constructicon who comes closest to being an easy-to-relate-to, frustrated everyman (every-'bot?) type.  What human, or robot, or any other kind of sentient, hasn't felt undervalued and underappreciated at one time or another?  All Long Haul ever wants is to take part in the actual building, like the other Constructicons.  But since his vehicle mode is a dump truck, he gets stuck with all the dirty and boring work.  Unfortunately, his constant griping and complaining, while understandable, can get as tedious, repetitive, and redundant as the songs of that so-called people's poet, Bruce Springsteen (whom, it should be noted, despite having had a bona-fide blue-collar upbringing, has never actually worked a day job in his entire life.)  But that's a failing on the part of the show's writers, and either way, Long Haul serves a valuable function as both a Constructicon and a member of a vivid fictional ensemble of characters.

Long Haul's voice actor: GREGG BERGER (Other notable voice roles: Colonel Brekhov, leader of the Oktober Guard, "G.I. Joe", Spirit, "G.I. Joe", Firefly, "G.I. Joe", Odie, "Garfield")

BONUS:

JAZZ

Bite-Sized Profile: Yes, Jazz had a black voice actor, the late, great Scatman Crothers, and, yes, he was a coded black character.  And I think he came off quite well as a positive character, especially by 80s pop-culture standards.  The Autobots' free-spirited gadfly, he loved Earth culture from the very start, and immersed himself in it.  He had a fairly high rank in the original Autobot roster, and was a good, reliable warrior as well as the one with the upbeat, can-do, never-say-die attitude.  His detractors have called him "the Chris Tucker of the Autobots", but Jazz never shucked and jived the way Tucker has.  More disturbingly, I found the Jazz from Michael Bay's first crap-fest of a TF movie to not only be far more unflatteringly stereotypical than the original, but also, he's the Autobot who gets killed off (recall the whole allegedly outdate cliché about how the black character is always the one who dies in movies and TV shows.  Shameful.)  In the end, I think it says it all that Jazz was one of the very few of the 1984 Wave Autobots allowed by the writers to survive the carnage in "Transformers: The Movie" (the others were Bumblebee and Cliffjumper.)  And, who knows, even if his toy hadn't already been discontinued, we might still have seen him get at least a handful of lines in Season 3.  Unfortunately, though we did see him a few times, Crothers had died right after recording his lines for the movie.  So Jazz never spoke again (and, bizarrely, in his most substantial Season 3 cameo, as the racer who wins the inter-galactic marathon in "Five Faces of Darkness, Part 1", he's referred to by the other characters as "Munka Spanka" (as in..."Monkey Spanker."  Groan.  I'll defend a lot of things about Season 3, but not that.)

Jazz's voice actor: SCATMAN CROTHERS (Other notable voice roles: Hong Kong Phooey/Penry, "Hong Kong Phooey", Scat Cat, "The Aristocats")

Read LEGIONS OF 7 WORLDS in the Bits forum:

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 1 (COMPLETED)

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 2 (WORK IN PROGRESS)

"Don't look for role models, girls, BE the role model."

- Legion World member HARBINGER
Fanfic Lady #913540 10/18/16 09:19 AM
OP Offline
More TF goodness coming within the week, as I wrap up the Constructicons profiles with SCAVENGER & MIXMASTER, and put in my two cents on PROWL and STARSCREAM!!

Fanfic Lady #913544 10/18/16 09:36 AM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Fick, you might want to consider editing the thread's title to reflect what you're actually doing now! nod

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
Fanfic Lady #913552 10/18/16 10:48 AM
OP Offline
But of course!!

Thanks so much, Lardy. hug

OptimusPrime

Fanfic Lady #974485 07/27/19 05:10 AM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
3 years, 9.5 months, and one switch to another Legion World ID later...

...I still love the original Transformers and GoBots TV series. love love

And while I'm afraid I'll jinx both shows' recent availability on DailyMotion by mentioning it here, I also feel duty-bound to do just that, so that people can either watch those classics for the first time, or get re-acquainted with them.

Finally, here's a bit of half-assed fangirl philosophy which I am going to share anyway because my ego is so tremendous:

"Challenge of the GoBots" is to "Transformers" as Ernie Bushmiller's "Nancy" is to Charles M. Schulz's "Peanuts."

To make it clear to those not versed in the late Mr. Bushmiller's work, the above statement is not an insult. And if you still don't believe me, no less a genius than Bill "Zippy the Pinhead" Griffith is working on a book about Mr. Bushmiller's life and art.

So much for those shows being "glorified toy commercials." Nyah-nyah! tongue

Still "Fickles" to my friends.
Re: Celebrating the pre-movie episodes of Transformers (and the Gobots, too), now with ongoing TF profiles
Fanfic Lady #977099 09/21/19 08:50 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
I've recently been watching some episodes of Transformers: The Basics on Youtube. Interesting stuff.

Also, it would be super-cool if someone could do something like this with the Legion.

Re: Celebrating the pre-movie episodes of Transformers (and the Gobots, too), now with ongoing TF profiles
Fanfic Lady #977127 09/22/19 01:19 PM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
I love it! Thanks, EDE!

And, yes, I agree 100%, the Legion would benefit tremendously from a YouTube docu series!

Fanfic Lady #980981 01/21/20 07:52 AM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
As this thread's first post of 2020, I thought it'd be apropos to do a Top 20 list for each show.

So, I give you the 20 TF eps that I recommend most highly (in random order, not by rank), and the 20 Gobots eps likewise.

Transformers (Pre-Movie only)

AUTO BERSERK
MAKE TRACKS
AUTO-BOP
THE SEARCH FOR ALPHA TRION
THE INSECTICON SYNDROME
WAR DAWN
ATLANTIS, ARISE
THE SECRET OF OMEGA SUPREME
STARSCREAM'S BRIGADE
THE REVENGE OF BRUTICUS
COSMIC RUST
THE IMMOBILIZER
THE MASTER BUILDER
SEA CHANGE
THE GOD GAMBIT
THE GOLDEN LAGOON
DIVIDE AND CONQUER
THE CORE
TRAITOR
MICROBOTS

Gobots

ESCAPE FROM ELBA
THE GOBOTS THAT TIME FORGOT
INVASION FROM THE 21ST LEVEL (Part 1 of 2)
INVASION FROM THE 21ST LEVEL (Part 2 of 2)
ELEMENT OF DANGER
THE THIRD COLUMN
THE QUEST FOR ROGUE STAR
DOPPLEGANGER
MISSION GOBOTRON
ET TU, CY-KILL
CY-KILL'S CATACLYSMIC TRAP
SPEED IS OF THE ESSENCE
GUARDIAN ACADEMY
QUEST FOR NEW EARTH
FITOR TO THE FINISH
FORCED ALLIANCE
DAWN WORLD
TERROR IN ATLANTIS
TRIDENT'S TRIPLE THREAT
DEPTH CHARGE

Fanfic Lady #988321 06/16/20 04:05 PM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
Question for EDE and other fans of vintage radio drama:

Do you think the voice acting on Transformers is at the same level of quality? I ask because I've repeatedly said in more than one Transformers thread that, as crazy-perfectionistic as the show's voice director, Wally Burr, is alleged to have been, I think it's indisputable he got superlative results. Sometimes I'll watch one of the lesser Transformers episodes just because they have some great bits of voice acting.

Fanfic Lady #988326 06/16/20 06:40 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
I'm not sure how to make the comparison, as voice acting for animation is much different than audio drama, plus quality varied a lot even in the Golden Age of Radio.

But, yeah, I definitely think that Transformers had first rate voice acting overall.

Fanfic Lady #988344 06/17/20 05:21 AM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
Thanks, EDE. It's really something, how just about every show that Wally Burr voice-directed in the 80s had better voice acting than the rest. Even some of the 70s Hanna Barbera shows he worked on! I mean, "Dynomutt," and "Captain Caveman," and "Laff-A-Lympics" were not any better-written than the other HB shows, but the voices! Frank Welker & Gary Owens as Dynomutt & Blue Falcon, what chemistry they had! And then there's one of the last shows Burr did for HB, "Drak Pack," which I recall fondly and which is a favorite of Rockhopper Lad's. That one *was* better-written than the other HB shows (and...six degrees...one of the "Drak Pack" writers was future "Transformers" writer Douglas Booth.)

Fanfic Lady #1004164 06/28/21 03:50 AM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
Just out of curiosity -- I've learned that a lot of fans like Season 1 better than Season 2. Why do you feel that way?

I prefer Season 2 because I think it had much more characterization, with a whole bunch of Autobots each getting their own spotlight episodes.

Fanfic Lady #1006623 09/05/21 06:50 AM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
Heads up -- all four seasons of Transformers G1 are currently available to stream, legally and for free, on Tubi:

https://tubitv.com/series/11/transformers-generation-1?start=true

Warning: Tubi does give commercials.

If you pay a fee, you can watch the show sans commercials on Google Play, Vudu, and Amazon Instant Video.

Fanfic Lady #1024162 03/22/23 12:53 PM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
A well-written, easy to follow primer on the Transformers franchise, from a very good website:

https://medium.com/everything-80s/the-history-of-transformers-from-toy-to-legacy-6f513c2427fd

Fanfic Lady #1031311 11/21/23 08:56 AM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
Great news! After being away from YouTube for many years, Transformers is back and, hopefully, here to stay!

Challenge of the GoBots is there, too, but they're charging $1.99 per episode, where Transformers is free (albeit with ads.)

Annfie to the rescue, though, because later on today I'll provide a list of the GoBots episodes that are worth spending a little bit of your money on. (No cheap jokes, please.)

Fanfic Lady #1031312 11/21/23 10:02 AM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
Sigh. Turns out there's less than half of the 65 GoBots episodes available on YouTube. Ah, well, here's the ones out of that bunch that are worth the $1.99 per episode:

"Battle for GoBotron" (Pilot Mini-Series, Part 1)

"Target: Earth" (Pilot Mini-Series, Part 2)

"Conquest of Earth" (Pilot Mini-Series, Part 3)

"Earth Bound" (Pilot Mini-Series, Part 4)

"The Final Conflict" (Pilot Mini-Series, Part 5)

"Whiz Kid"

"Terror In Atlantis" (PERSONAL FAVORITE RECOMMENDATION)

"Trident's Triple Threat" (PERSONAL FAVORITE RECOMMENDATION)

"The Quest for Rogue Star" (PERSONAL EXTRA-SPECIAL FAVORITE RECOMMENDATION)

"Speed Is of the Essence" (PERSONAL EXTRA-SPECIAL FAVORITE RECOMMENDATION)

"Depth Charge" (PERSONAL FAVORITE RECOMMENDATION)

(And to prove what a mess this whole set-up is, only two of the five episodes that make up the second mini-series, "The GoBotron Saga," are available! Avoid those until the rest finally become available.)

Fanfic Lady #1034249 03/01/24 01:29 PM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
So, today we find ourselves a full 2 months into 2024, and it only now occurs to me that just because the 40th anniversary of the first Transformers air date isn't until September 17th, it doesn't mean we need to wait until then to celebrate the anniversary.

Let's celebrate the whole franchise for the whole rest of the year!

OptimusPrime

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,019
Posts1,044,971
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Faraway Lad
Faraway Lad
Newcastle upon Tyne England
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star