Roll Call
0 members (), 38 Murran Spies, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
not just another Pantha's dismembered head thread...
by Ann Hebistand - 05/05/24 06:55 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/04/24 08:26 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/04/24 08:21 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by stile86 - 05/04/24 07:26 PM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by stile86 - 05/04/24 07:25 PM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Ann Hebistand - 05/04/24 12:22 PM
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/04/24 02:29 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 20 1 2 3 4 5 6 19 20
Re: The Big Pile o'Trades on the Coffee Table Next to My Recliner!
Lard Lad #834698 01/12/15 06:23 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Ah, back in familiar territory of putting my foot in my mouth (yuck!) (foot on my keyboard? yuck!) over something Fickles likes. smile

He probably likes Morrisey, you know... smile

Sister in a reboot, I know, I know
It's post crisis now...

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Lard Lad #834703 01/12/15 06:27 PM
More Polyanna than Poison Ivy
LOL rotflmao

Hey, it's all right. Variety of opinions is the spice of this forum.

Read LEGIONS OF 7 WORLDS in the Bits forum:

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 1 (COMPLETED)

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 2 (WORK IN PROGRESS)

"Don't look for role models, girls, BE the role model."

- Legion World member HARBINGER
Lard Lad #834709 01/12/15 06:35 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
He is Colossally dull though. wink

I's easy to seem noble, innocent and good when you're raised in a palace. Emphasis on seem.

When he was in the JLA, I thought he was a cape stand, he was so wooden. His thing against Deathstroke was really, really forced just to try and give him some edge.

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Lard Lad #834712 01/12/15 06:42 PM
I'm happy to say I skipped the JLA issues that he appeared in. As far as I'm concerned, everything that's happened in the DCU over the past ten years is some kind of sick alternate universe.

Re: The Big-Ass Pile o'Trades on the Coffee Table Next to My Recliner!
Lard Lad #834720 01/12/15 07:03 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Oh, at least that long...

Re: The Big-Ass Pile o'Trades on the Coffee Table Next to My Recliner!
Lard Lad #834722 01/12/15 07:06 PM
Almost twelve years, come to think of it! eek

Somewhere in the multiverse is a DCU where Graduation Day and Identity Crisis never happened.

Cobalt Kid #834730 01/12/15 07:12 PM
L
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
L
Originally Posted by Fanfic Lady
Lardy, I looked it up: the Lee/Kirby Thor issues are 124-130, reprinted in Marvel Masterworks: The Mighty Thor Volume 4.
Originally Posted by Cobalt Kid
Kirby's Thor is a lot different than Kirby's FF to me, but then again, I've been looking at both of these two runs with intense, detailed-oriented eyes since I was about 9 years old. You may find them to be too similar in your eyes.

That being said, I also recommend Fanfie's suggested 124-130. I even like the next slew of issues even better, which introduce Evo the Living Planet, the Recorder, the High Evolutionary, etc. Those issues are among my favorite stories ever, Thor or otherwise.

My all-time favorite Thor story is the original Mangog story by Kirby that took place near the end of his run. It ran in Thor #154-157. Again, I'm not sure whether you'd love it, but I find it to be the ultimate epic, Kirby Thor story.

I'll certainly keep those in mind for my eBay stalks.

I thought I'd more likely get recommendations for John Buscema's run. What are some highlights of that and how do they compare to the Lee/Kirby tales you guys mention?

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
Lard Lad #834733 01/12/15 07:22 PM
Personally, I never thought that Big John's Thor quite caught fire. I put it down to a story that Roy Thomas told about how Big John brought in the pencils for Silver Surfer #4, the issue with Thor and Asgard, and Stan Lee engaged in some very tactless criticism that basically boiled down to "It doesn't look enough like Jack Kirby's Thor and Asgard." Roy theorized that Big John took that criticism to heart, and trusted his artistic instincts less after that, which was why his superhero art from the 70s was never as great as his supehero art from the late 60s.

Don't get me wrong, I think Big John's Thor art was GOOD, but not GREAT. I think it wasn't until the mid-80s, after Big John had been on hiatus from superheroes, that he got great again, working with Roger Stern on Avengers.

Lard Lad #837863 02/05/15 11:42 PM
L
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
L
Pile UPDATE (2/5/15).....

Currently Reading
New Teen Titans Vol. 1

Recently Read
Scout Vol. 1
Marvel Masterworks: Amazing Spider-Man Vols. 1-4

To-Read Pile (new stuff since last time in bold)
Tales of the Batman: Gene Colan
Huntress: Darknight Daughter
Marvel Masterworks: The Defenders Vols. 2 thru 4
Grendel Omnibus Vol. 2: The Legacy
Mage Vol. 2: The Hero Defined
Legion Archives Vol. 9 (for the Re-reading project)
West Coast Avengers Omnibus Vol. 1
Jinx
Goldfish
From Hell
Captain America: War & Remembrance
Fantastic Four by John Byrne Omnibus Vol. 1
Scout Vol. 2
Frank Miller's Ronin Deluxe Edition
Marvel Masterworks: Iron Fist Vol. 1
Spider-Man by Roger Stern Omnibus
Marvel Masterworks: Silver Surfer Vol. 1
Silver Surfer (current Slott/Allred series) Vol. 1: New Dawn
Iron Man by Michelinie, Layton & Romita, Jr. Omnibus
Tales of the Batman: Len Wein
Murder Me Dead (David Lapham)
Stray Bullets Uber Alles Edition
Star Wars: Marvel Years Omnibus Vol. 1
Amazing Spider-Man: The Original Clone Saga

On the Way from eBay/In-Stock Trades
Marvel Masterworks: Uncanny X-Men Vol. 9
Grimjack Omnibus Vol. 2
Jon Sable: Freelance Omnibus Vols. 1 & 2

Current Heavy eBay Stalks
Daredevil by Miller and Janson Omnibus
Marvel Masterworks: Thor Vol. 4

Lard Lad #837932 02/06/15 05:18 PM
Oooo, can't wait to find out what you think of Scout!

And yay for Grimjack Omnibus v. 2 being on its way!

Fanfic Lady #839068 02/14/15 09:33 PM
L
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
L
Oooo, can't wait to find out what you think of Scout!

LOVED that Scout Vol. 1 trade! On top of all that Tim Truman arty goodness, Truman proved out of the gate that he had the writing chops to go along with his gritty-but-beautiful rendering.

In the world of Scout Truman posits a very near future (in this case the early 2000's--remember the book began in the late '80s) where America suffers their worst economic depression ever because the USSR has colluded with other countries to enforce a trade embargo against the U.S. So there's much more poverty, and cities like Houston are basically desolate, pre-industrial slums. While those events may not have come to pass, Truman predicts very well things that are very relatable now more than ever, particularly the corrupt 1% having all the power and exploiting the poor.

Enter Scout, a native American with some experience in the armed forces who is motivated by the spirit world to destroy five evil beings who just happen to have taken the forms of some of the most powerful men in the country. Part of my enjoyment of the book is that it isn't made clear whether everything is how Scout perceives it or if maybe he's a little off his rocker and might just be imagining the supernatural aspects. This is because there's seemingly no one else among the human cast who can see what Scout sees or is present during the crucial revelatory moments. But whether he's right or wrong about the spiritual aspects, you know for sure that he's definitely going up against some evil sonsa bitches, so you're rooting for him all along! nod

Overall, it's a very satisfying trade, and I'm curious to see what direction the second trade goes in when I decide the time is right to read it. And did I mention, I love me some Tim Truman? nod

Lard Lad #839070 02/14/15 09:45 PM
Sooooo glad you're enjoying "Scout", Lardy. I'll have to re-read it myself once I have a window of time.

IMO Tim Truman's a genius, and I don't use that term lightly.

And, yeah, substitute the real world's Detroit and Chicago and New Orleans for "Scout"'s Houston, and Truman was eerily prescient.

Lard Lad #839071 02/14/15 09:49 PM
L
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
L
Oh, I wasn't aware you'd read Scout before! I knew you'd read Grimjack but didn't recall Scout. I thought I had one up on ya there! frown

wink

Lard Lad #839072 02/14/15 09:49 PM
This reminds me, when I was still young and full of anger and energy, I created my own little neo-Tim-Truman sub-universe. The main character was a female GrimJack/Scout analog named Hate-Slayer, and one of her allies was visually based on Tim Truman. Another ally, I'm now embarrassed to say, looked like the young Brad Pitt (it was the mid-90s, okay)? Ahhh, memories...

Lard Lad #839073 02/14/15 09:52 PM
Originally Posted by Paladin
Oh, I wasn't aware you'd read Scout before! I knew you'd read Grimjack but didn't recall Scout. I thought I had one up on ya there! frown

wink

wink

The one major work of Truman's that I haven't read is his non-genre graphic novel Straight Up to See the Sky, which is said to be the culmination of his interest in Native American culture.

Lard Lad #839079 02/14/15 10:11 PM
L
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
L
The other recent read from The Pile was New Teen Titans Vol. 1, which reprints the preview story from DC Comics presents and NTT 1-8. I've stated before that other than a trade of Judas Contract, I've never had the pleasure of reading most of the original Wolfman/Perez NTT run. Luckily, DC has had the sense to start a new series of trades of it to help me rectify that.

For most of it, I found the trade to be good-but-not-great. In my mind it really didn't start to take off and distinguish itself until the last three stories in the trade. Issue 6 featured the finale of the first Trigon arc. Here, you could see both the Titans and Wolfman/Perez gel as teams. And then Arella's sacrifice lent just the right amount of pathos to make the story very memorable.

I should add that, though I love Curt Swan, his guest turn in NTT #5 just didn't work. It's not just that he wasn't Perez, but his Trigon just didn't seem terribly menacing. I mean, the HAIR?!?! It was, like, Prince Valiant or something!!! lol To be fair, I don't know if anyone other Perez can pull Trigon off right because the basic design is a little pedestrian without his flair. But Swan Trigon versus Perez Trigon is like night and day.

As good as 6 is, issue 7 really got me with that ending. Yep, the Fearsome Five attacking Titans Tower was a lot of fun, but the ending with Vic and his dad reconciling, just in time, and the touching montage that followed really hit me in the feels. Seeing Vic do what I wish I had done and can never re-do brought some tears to my eyes. I think I'll think of this among my personal great moments in comics history, but that could just be my own personal interaction with those pages as much as anything. But I think it was a great and powerful moment for Marv and George to elevate their book to the next level and set up more greatness to come.

The trade-making trifecta concludes with the legendary "A Day in the Lives" in issue 8. This is one of a handful of stories other than Judas Contract that I HAD read previously, thanks to one of my old "Best of the Year" digests I had owned back when I was a tween. I remembered a lot of it fairly well, despite not having ever re-read it in the interim. I especially remembered Kory's photo shoot and wondering how anyone wouldn't have realized she was an alien with that gold skin, despite the glasses. (And who would wear sunglasses during an entire photo shoot, anyway?!?)

I honestly don't know whether Marv and George or possibly Claremont (or someone else?) did it first, but an issue that is almost completely character development like this one was groundbreaking and very much appreciated.

And once again, Vic stole it, in my mind at least, with his encounter with the group of kids with prostheses. I don't know if this stands up for the long term, but Vic, to me, is emerging as the heart of the group. For him to be tough but vulnerable while also being African American makes him a very important character in comics history. No, he's not the first to be a headliner in (what turned out to be) a major team, but he may very well be, ironically, the most human that had been seen to date. Clearly, Victor Stone is a very important character, and it should be no surprise that he would soon turn up in the Super friends cartoon.

I'm definitely ready for the next trade. I just hope DC will continue the reprints and hopefully not wait a year or more for the next volume cuz I WANNA READ MORE!!! nod

Lard Lad #839085 02/14/15 10:25 PM
Ahhhh, the Wolfman/Perez NTT...good times! I, too, hope DC keeps rolling out the trades so that Lardy and other readers can experience that wonderful run.

As great as The Judas Contract is, I think the arc immediately preceding it, which climaxes with LYL/Teeds' beloved "Raven Berserk" issue, is the pinnacle of the run.

Totally agree on Victor, he's a gem of a character.

Fanfic Lady #839092 02/14/15 11:25 PM
L
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
L
Ahhhh, the Wolfman/Perez NTT...good times! I, too, hope DC keeps rolling out the trades so that Lardy and other readers can experience that wonderful run.

I would have preferred to get the Omnibus or Archives editions, but both are out of print at least on the earlier volumes. Out of print hardcover editions of popular runs are very pricey on eBay. I wish Marvel and DC would keep these runs in print for those who missed out or weren't into buying them when they originated.

Lard Lad #839093 02/14/15 11:39 PM
IIRC, the NTT hardcovers stopped at issue 27, just before Terra's arrival and the arguable peak of the run which subsequently followed.

Maybe the hardcovers weren't selling well enough? shrug

I really hope the paperback trades do better so that we can at least have the run through the Garcia-Lopez issues (Eduardo Barreto was a wonderful artist, but he had the misfortune of arriving just as Wolfman came down with writer's block. There were still some good issues, though, mostly character pieces -- I'm thinking the Gar/Slade issue and the Raven/Phobia issue. Maybe we could have an "odds 'n sods" trade collecting the best of the later issues?)

Fanfic Lady #839286 02/16/15 08:52 PM
L
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
L
IIRC, the NTT hardcovers stopped at issue 27, just before Terra's arrival and the arguable peak of the run which subsequently followed.

Maybe the hardcovers weren't selling well enough? shrug

It's possible, even though it's hard to imagine. It's certainly very surprising that the NTT Archives stopped right there. I've a feeling that higher end collections would sell better now with those fans feeling nostalgic for all the great stuff that was wiped out by the awful New 52. nod

Lard Lad #839289 02/16/15 09:07 PM
I've a feeling that higher end collections would sell better now with those fans feeling nostalgic for all the great stuff that was wiped out by the awful New 52. nod

hmmm

They do say that absence makes the heart grow fonder...

Lard Lad #840203 02/22/15 08:33 PM
L
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
L
Started the Silver Surfer: New Dawn TPB (which collects the first few issues of the current Slott/ Allred book) last night. So far....so GROOVY! Loving it! I could kick those critics in the balls because their reviews of the first issue were so mediocre and dissuaded me from picking it up!!! :angry:

I'll chime in again later when I finish the TPB. But it's a shame Marvel's apparently cancelling the book. frown

Lard Lad #840205 02/22/15 09:06 PM
Marvel seems to have become a place where the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing. Shame, because I've always favored them over DC. shake

Lard Lad #840358 02/23/15 07:55 PM
L
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
L
Wow! I just finished that Silver Surfer: New Dawn TPB and thought it was just terrific!

You know, I've sampled a number of Michael Allred projects (X-Force/X-Statics, Mad Man, FF, iZombie, among them) over the years, and none of them grabbed me the way they've grabbed others. They each lacked that certain something that would make me a fan. I don't know if it was the scripts or if there was something about Allred's art that caused some disconnect. Or maybe it was both. I don't know.

However, when this series launch was announced, I had about 90% made up my mind that I was going to pick it up. Certainly, it helped that the writer this time was Dan Slott, who has been wowing me on Amazing/Superior Spider-Man for several years now and basically resurrected my interest in buying the adventures of my favorite hero again after a long absence. Plus, the preview images just made it look like this would be the Allred project I've been needing all these years.

But then came the reviews. they were mediocre at best. "Too derivative of Dr. Who," they said. I don't honestly know why that was a turn-off for me because I've been enjoying the recent Dr. Who series for several years now. This and other "meh" reviews and that the aggregate score on Comic Book Round-up (based on numerous reviews from all over the place) put it at a solid "yellow" (on the green/yellow/red spectrum) convinced me to pass, especially as this would be another $4 book on my budget.

Well, luckily, praise from pals like Cobie and the miracle of TPBs gave me a second chance to discover this wonderful book. It's honestly hard to describe, but what it is is wonderful in every way that that word can be used. It has a sense of whimsy, is fun and light in tone, features some big universal themes and ideas, has a fresh "not your run-of-the-mill comic" vibe to it and just lets Allred spread his artistic wings in a way that has finally made me understand and appreciate his talent.

But I think what really sells it for me is the character of Dawn and how she grounds both the Surfer and the book itself with her humanity. We are immediately introduced to her and the bullet points of her backstory, and we instantly relate to her. Dawn's not the most complex character ever to grace the pages of comics, but she represents exactly what a character like Norrin Radd needs to be something more than someone who is almost as impenetrable to the reader as his silver shell is to his enemies. To see her and other characters be non-plussed and casual around him is just the take the book needed.

It just goes to show that the critics aren't always right about a book, and often it's better to go with what your gut tells you. I'm pretty pissed that I passed this over but at the same time glad I didn't miss it altogether. If the book has maintained anywhere near this level of quality, it's a crying shame that Marvel is going to end it. It may just be one of the best books on the market, right now. As it is, I hope my CBS has the remaining issues in stock, so that I don't have to wait until the next trade to be released in June!

Lard Lad #840644 02/25/15 07:11 PM
L
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
L
A couple of weeks ago, I put down the Man-Thing Omnibus after getting about 3/4 through it. The stopping point was the end of Steve Gerber's long run on the character which encompassed all but the first two issues of the Adventure Into Fear run, all 22 issues of the first volume of the Man-Thing ongoing and five Giant Size editions.

Currently midway thru finishing the last 400 pages of it. While contemplating what to read next, I thought it would be good to wade back into Man-Thing to make some damn room on the coffee table! lol

So far, I'd say authors like Claremont and Fleischer were doing a more than respectable job of respecting the foundation that Steve Gerber laid for them. This Omnibus is a really great, beautiful monument of '70s storytelling! nod

Page 4 of 20 1 2 3 4 5 6 19 20

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,020
Posts1,045,116
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Copycat Girl
Copycat Girl
Somewhere in New Metropolis. Got lost looking for Legion Headquarters.
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star