Roll Call
0 members (), 37 Murran Spies, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/11/24 09:37 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Eryk Davis Ester - 05/10/24 04:47 PM
Kill This Thread LII - The End of the Deck of Cards
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 04:29 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:58 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:56 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:55 AM
Legion Trivia 6
by thoth lad - 05/09/24 03:34 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Waid/Kitson 7 page preview - Spoilers!
#83607 10/08/04 02:33 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Haven't seen this yet (and the links won't load on my wood-fired computer) - but it has me captivated, curious and thinking.

Just how old does Lyle appear to be? If he's on the young side of the scale, that could make the tantrum more acceptable... he could be the grows-up-fast guy in the series. If he's the scientist type that he was in the previous versions, there could be interesting character development between him and the older Brainy - more of a mentor than friend relationship. (I'm also thinking of Laurie King's Sherlock Holmes-Mary Russell series - Holmes is astounded, pleasantly, when he first meets the 15-year old girl - She can think! he exclaims.)

People have mentioned the washed-out colours - is this supposed to reflect the boredom and banality of the society? Maybe the colours will get brighter as the team develops.

There's the eternal theme of "parents are such clods", which continues to resonate, strangely, after all these years. I think people do tend to forget what it's like to be young (probably a survival mechanism!), but somehow that teenage struggle with parental and societal authority doesn't fade easily. I suspect this may be a key element of the appeal the new group will hopefully have - especially since the legionnaires will be constructively rebelling. It's uplifting - and that's what the Legion has been at its best - inspirational, admirable and a force for good.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
#83608 10/08/04 03:03 AM
Vee Offline
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally posted by Barry Kitson:
As to the unidentified pair of feet - they belong to a character very few have guessed at so far - he'll be around in the first issues, but his story won't really start to unfold until a few months into the run. smile
Let the speculation begin !!! laugh

Unidentified feet speculation thread

"Hey Jim! Get Mon out of the Zone!! And...when do we get Condo back?"
#83609 10/08/04 04:46 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Ferro Lad!

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#83610 10/08/04 04:56 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Ferro Lad or Nemesis Kid. I was hoping for a mystery member and hope this story that unravels out of this character fits the bill!

Jorge

#83611 10/08/04 05:49 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
As to the unidentified pair of feet - they belong to a character very few have guessed at so far - he'll be around in the first issues, but his story won't really start to unfold until a few months into the run.
Oooooo thanks Barry! That's an exciting tidbit. I like it that there is still some mystery as to what the exact membership is going to be.

I don't know if I can wait a month between issues though - could you bring this comic out every day? wink

#83612 10/08/04 05:53 AM
Active
Active
Um the feet belong to Matter-Eater Lad??

#83613 10/08/04 06:44 AM
Leader
Leader
Random thoughts:

Almost everyone wears gloves. That seems unusual.

Luornu's back (Yay!) but her cape seems long and cumbersome for someone who triplicates somehow.

Is that a stylized P on Tinya's chest? Are the original codenames back? Do we know that ?

I can't stand Element Lad's costume. Glad to have him, Garth, and Gim back from the dead though. and a human Projectra too. Though it does feel cheap to simply cheat death by rebooting the series AGAIN.

Why does the name Atom Girl keep popping up? I don't like it. Shrinking Violet please.

I hope Garth and Ayla are still twins.

I'm amazed that the Hussy is featured so small and in the background. I hope she stays that way. I'm way over seeing her on every page as she was in D&A's run.

Really glad to be rid of Kinetix, Gates, and Kid Q. Don't really expect XS back either.

I'm betting the other boots belong to Mon-El.

I want Cham's antennae back!

I have very mixed feelings here. The artwork looks great and I'm glad to see the silver age members back without the dead weight newer characters like Kinetix, Kid Q, and Thunder (Ugh) but I don't think another reboot was justified at all. A new direction could've been approached without the whole messing with the space time continuum thingy AGAIN.

Buy my new graphic novel!
http://www.dodeka12.com
#83614 10/08/04 07:50 AM
Deputy
Deputy
Sigh - delayed here in OZ. For another two or three days! ARGH!!!

Wayne@OZ
#83615 10/08/04 10:39 AM
Active
Active
I like very much the final page with all the team.
Projectra looks more beautiful than ever.
Saturn Girl, Traid And Phantom Girl so classic!
Only Sun Boy has a poor costume.
Even Star Boy likes me, but please don't named him Thom Kallor.
Because then you fall in the same wrongs of the previous Legion, and again and again, each 10 years The legion dissapear in the time stream.
Good Luck!

From UK with glamour.
#83616 10/08/04 10:59 AM
Yk Offline
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I just read Barry's statement about costume designs and we get a very small clue in the previous page in the very last panel. I think the boots belong to somebody with a cape. I've noticed that Barry's very careful with his camera angles ans the implied spatial relationships so theoretically "we" could place each figure we know from the group shot and see who's left.

I say we in quotes 'cause my son's being a busy little 4 year old boy today with all the "cute" little things that go along with it. No time. I know I'll be following Barry's hints and be scanning for clues whenever I can though.
laugh
-gawd I'm such a fanboy-

#83617 10/08/04 11:02 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally posted by Lightning Lad:
Dirk. Hmm. How to say this nicely. He doesn't appear to be a lady's man anymore. Very Prince Valiant look going on.
I'm just a little worried that will be the case. No chance it could be Cos or one of the "butch" looking guys? No, the obvious "poofer" looking one.

Just spouting off.
#83618 10/08/04 11:07 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Barry, great job on the look of the book. It doesn't have that hard, angular look we typically see in the future. The characters look awesome. The uniforms (they're work clothes afterall) do them justice without looking hokey or out of place.

The gang has a youthful look that doesn't suggest teenager, rather young adult. And it fits well with Mark's theme of rebels with a cause.

I get more and more excited for the new series each day.

Just spouting off.
#83619 10/08/04 11:24 AM
Active
Active
Thanks again all!

Glad you like the new look CJ! That's pretty much exactly what I was aiming for. smile

I'll enjoy reading the continuing speculations about that extra pair of feet! laugh

The 'P' on Phantom Girl's costume is actually a symbol also - when you see it close up, the stem of the 'p' is in fact passing through the oval of the letter, to symbolize her power.

Thanks again for all the kind words!

Cheers
Barry

www.barrykitson.com
#83620 10/08/04 11:54 AM
Vee Offline
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Thanks again all!

Glad you like the new look CJ! That's pretty much exactly what I was aiming for. smile

I'll enjoy reading the continuing speculations about that extra pair of feet! laugh

The 'P' on Phantom Girl's costume is actually a symbol also - when you see it close up, the stem of the 'p' is in fact passing through the oval of the letter, to symbolize her power.

Thanks again for all the kind words!
The be sure to see more of the rampant speculation about the "feet" on this thread. laugh

"Hey Jim! Get Mon out of the Zone!! And...when do we get Condo back?"
#83621 10/08/04 02:49 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Thanks to the technological marvel known as Nightcrawler, I was able to view the preview.

Hah! No bare midriff for Saturn Girl. Will she have the same personality as before?

I thought the first pages were hilarious. Who was that, Frau Doctor Mayavale with the six arms? Great looking aliens - but so recognizable in their parental outbursts! And the father-daughter scene - the expressions communicated a lot. Gotta wonder who will be the first "alien" legionnaire.

What I'm wondering is if we have had a generation who looked to the past for inspiration, against their parents wishes... usually it's the adults moaning about how things were better in the past and standards are declining.... maybe a bit with the hippies/homesteading group of the late 60s/early 70s. Can you imagine if teenagers today started doing the medieval knight thing, wearing chain mail, riding around on horses to catch criminals? And it worked?

Holy Cats of Egypt!
#83622 10/08/04 10:38 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I was delighted with the look of the preview! So much eye candy; the perfect kind of art for Legion fans. We love our Easter Eggs and to discuss costuming and architecture, HAIR, etc.

I don't really have any complaints about the look of the Legionniares right now. I suppose seeing them in action will make it easier to judge. I'm on record as hoping that this Star Boy is not Thom, though.

In this preview, we are given a very good taste of the new concept. The establishment thinks everything is fine, but it's not. Honestly, I hope it doesn't take a long time for the Legion to be honored as a force for good. I similarly hope that there won't be a lot of time spent with a corrupt or too-rigid government. It's fine with me that the newness of the Legion may disturb the leaders of society, but I just can't take the "anti-hero" stuff for too long. That could be why I was never a Spiderman reader and why I can't regularly stick with the X-Men. My wish is for the Legion to do something grand and prove that they're trustworthy, stay with that and go on and on to greatness.

#83623 10/09/04 02:42 PM
Active
Active
Originally posted by Yellow Kid:
Now fellas, in the perfect Utopian future there's no need to bicker. Sarcasm is as valid a tool as gushing (perhaps even more valid in the long run) and in our newly utopian society even the arrogant and closed minded should be allowed their say. Good sarcastic wit however is a rare commodity and so I suggest a rating system.

1. if it makes you laugh give it 1 point
2. if it pisses you off give it 1 point
3. if it makes you pause to think give it 2 points
5. if it's a deliberate attack at another poster subtract a point
6. if it's an attack on a Legion creator subtract 2 points

I hope this helps.

Let's get into the spirit and the fun.
Hah! Sarcasm ratings. Like that's really useful.

#83624 10/09/04 03:39 PM
Yk Offline
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Hey! Great to see you back around!

Well look at it this way, if a poster gets tagged with a negative sarcasm rating then it should be quite alright to just skip over their stuff 'cause they just don't count, alternately if someone has a rating of 4 or the impossible 5 then you should consider it comedy gold and search for every word he/she has posted.
See? That's useful.

#83625 10/09/04 03:54 PM
Active
Active
I'm still curious about the new costumes for the rest of the Legionnaires, but what's really got me curious right now is how their personalities will be. Will Dirk still be a ladies' man? Will Imra be cool and competent or taking over Legionnaire minds? Will Garth be a hothead?

Actually, the more I think about it, the more I get excited about reading the new book. Although that quickened heartbeat could be the coffee I'm drinking, too. wink I hope the book will be worth the wait!

科学の使者、キュアドクス!
#83626 10/09/04 11:41 PM
Active
Active
Originally posted by Yellow Kid:
Hey! Great to see you back around!

Well look at it this way, if a poster gets tagged with a negative sarcasm rating then it should be quite alright to just skip over their stuff 'cause they just don't count, alternately if someone has a rating of 4 or the impossible 5 then you should consider it comedy gold and search for every word he/she has posted.
See? That's useful.
Um, I really do see the usefulness of it. I was just being, er, sarcastic. laugh

#83627 10/09/04 11:49 PM
Active
Active
Originally posted by Mearl Dox:
I'm still curious about the new costumes for the rest of the Legionnaires, but what's really got me curious right now is how their personalities will be. Will Dirk still be a ladies' man? Will Imra be cool and competent or taking over Legionnaire minds? Will Garth be a hothead?

Actually, the more I think about it, the more I get excited about reading the new book. Although that quickened heartbeat could be the coffee I'm drinking, too. wink I hope the book will be worth the wait!
See this is exactly what I'm worried about. For the most part, the costume changes are great, but then again so were the postboot costumes.

Who's to say that these are even the same people? Everyone keeps referencing them by their known real names. But what if this Sun Boy isn't even Dirk Morgna? Or what if that Shadow Lass isn't even Tasmia?

For that matter what about other characteristics that have always defined these characters? Will Element Lad still be the lone survivor of his planet? Are Garth and Ayla twins? Are they even related? Does Dream Girl even come from the planet Naltor?

Lots of little things like these are making me nervous. I want to like this version, but there has to be enough similarities to the past for me to care about it. I can handle some significant changes, but if it's a case where we "throw away everything you ever knew about the Legion because it's all different", then I just don't think I have the interest to go on.

#83628 10/10/04 12:44 AM
Yk Offline
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
ha ha ha
-I was just kidding about ratings too- laugh

I assume the feet belong to somebody we should already know and not some sort of Mystery Legionnaire fresh from the imagination of the latest DC hype machine...gawd, I hope...
D'oh!
Not Mystery Lad but Marvel Lad!...or was that Legionnaire LeMon? (didn't Lar use both at different times?)

#83629 10/10/04 07:57 PM
Candidate
Candidate
Whats with Karate Kid, why isn't he Asian. Is this colouring mistake, like Shadowlass. On the cover of issue One he has lighter skin.?? Could we get a answer from Mr Kitson, on what nationality he is? Please??

Starboy looks cool, but is it Thom Kallor and if it is Thom Kallor will we finally get some reasonable stories from the character.

That better not be wires coming out of Brainy's head, that would be lame.

I'm hoping that the extra feet up top is Nemesis Kid!!!

#83630 10/11/04 02:39 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I wonder if Lu is wearing one of those jumbo slippers you see advertised at the back of suppliment magazines - "Just slip both feet into one of our fleece lined Jumbo Slippers (tm) for a feeling of luxurious confort"

lol

Legion Worlds NINE - wait, there's even more ongoing amazing adventures? Yup, and you'll only find them in the Bits o' Legionnaire Business Forum.
#83631 10/11/04 10:14 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Basilios:
Whats with Karate Kid, why isn't he Asian. Is this colouring mistake, like Shadowlass.
Maybe KK is east asian - i.e. Indian or maybe Philippino in this version.

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,021
Posts1,045,250
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star