Roll Call
0 members (), 31 Murran Spies, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/08/24 07:13 AM
Kill This Thread LII - The End of the Deck of Cards
by thoth lad - 05/08/24 06:48 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/08/24 05:47 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Eryk Davis Ester - 05/07/24 04:15 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/07/24 12:40 AM
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/07/24 12:40 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/07/24 12:37 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 23 of 33 1 2 21 22 23 24 25 32 33
Re: Random Review Corner
Lard Lad #839476 02/18/15 03:23 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Terminal Hero #6 - Ummm - OK. Everything gets wrapped up, but maybe a little too pat, and with a pretty bizarre anti-climax. Rory gets his cancer cured, betrays the other two Q-monsters (who admittedly were a menace), leaves them to be sliced and diced by the government and walks back into his old life consequence free, other than the feeling that normality may be too boring for him. The issue doesn't even touch on the issues with his dead sister. Weird.

I don't know if Milligan was setting up for a return, or just really missed sticking a batter ending for this one, but it was a disappointment for what was a good series, up until this finale.

Power Boy #839493 02/18/15 04:56 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Originally Posted by Paladin
Hey, let's see how we reviewed some of the same books:

It's fun seeing reviews of the same issues here. Good to see how others view the same events.

Same exact score! Love me some Sex Crims!!!

All we have to do is figure out if we're using the same scale. smile

Nice, though, to have several good horror entries in the batch.

It sure is. Horror comics can be a bit hit and miss though, so I tread a bit more cautiously with them I think.

Originally Posted by Cobalt Kid
I do know most of the characters you’ve seen have been in stories before, though! That’s part of the charm of the series—lots of characters return in and out of other characters lives, and it all weaves together. But each individual story is standalone, so you’d never know it unless you read them all at once.

I've no idea how he keeps all this information on the cast clear in his head. Never mind the great stories.

I do have to say, though, that I did not love the Fatale ending.

I drifted away from Fatale somewhere. I still have the bulk of the issues. I am getting back into monthly reads again. And the quality is probably higher than ever out there. But, like Cobie touched on, there's still something missing.

I missed a few weeks a while ago, and I wasn't in the least bit bothered about catching up. I think Groo (which I buy for my dad) gets me in the shop. Stray Bullets gets me in and then... well, I sort of pick up from there. I'm hoping that as my Pull List gets into shape I'll get back into the habit. But I'm aware that it's a habit, and I think it should be something more than that.

Thoth, I’m thankful for your review of Star Wars #1 as you might be the only person I know who has read and reviewed it so far! 5.5 from you says it was pretty damn good, so that has me interested.

Bear in mind that I'm not a huge Star Wars fan either. The art gets the book points. That's what having that level of artist is going to bring to the table. But in an issue you can define each of the characters in a few words. Each of them is distinctive, and interestingly flawed. One issue. Of a massive franchise too. That's good going. There's a good range of scope in the issue. From the small negotiation group, broadening out to an understanding of the galactic conflict going on. So, it's a very good set up issue. We'll see if the plot lives up to the set up.

And, of course, one of my letters was printed! Easily makes it a Top 5 book for everyone on the planet......

I too feel that there's a bit of reflected glory on all the other Astro City comics from The Issue with the Letter. I know I struggle with that on typing each review.

Originally Posted by Power Boy
I actually liked that bit, but I've grown to trust the writer. He's just giving us what would be most other writer's whole story and saying ... there's much more about it and more to come than that.

In this one I felt if child X isn't going to see parent Y for z amount of time, then I'd like to see how each of them honestly react to it over time. Now I know what z equals, that both survive that long and it takes the suspense out of it.

Just give me a scene with them all in the pub after the story is finished. "Isn't it great we finally beat that villain Evillo and lived happily ever after. Except for Mike who died on the way." Ta da! I've just saved $$$$ thanks to really effective narration. smile

I couldn't hang after number 1. Sirens was the cheapest off brand comic I have read in a long time. The women are wearing pumps. shake

Perez is trying to make some poke fun at some standard comics cliches in this. Things so unlikely, even the characters comment on them. Not I believe that this is anything more than a cover for Perez to draw women in pumps, of course. smile

There are any number of genres and events going on. It's purposefully messy, and it can take a bit of craft to pull that off. It doesn't seem to have worked for you or Fickles. As the plot didn't get far in Issue 2, I'm giving it at least another issue to see if it story stalls. I'll still buy the rest because it's Perez. Your "off brand" comment reminds me of FemForce. It wasn't something I read, but I wonder if there are any similarities.

Last edited by thothkins; 02/18/15 05:00 PM.

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Lard Lad #839497 02/18/15 05:16 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
I actually liked the last two Daredevil stories quite a bit. The Purple Children had an eerie Bronze Age feel to it that didn't go too far over the top, while the Stuntmaster story is classic Waid: taking familiar characters and giving the story a huge twist! It's the kind of thing he always did so amazingly on Flash, Cap and other series that made me love his writing. He's still one of the few who can pull it off--he blends the ingenuous story twists of the Silver Age with the deep character work of the 80's & 90's, providing something very fresh.

Thoth, I don't think I've ever heard you mention your dad before! Did he get you into comics? Very cool that he reads Groo!

thoth lad #839581 02/19/15 04:22 PM
L
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
L
Originally Posted by thothkins

Well, I'm goin' with __ out of 6, so....?!? confused

tease

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
Lard Lad #839586 02/19/15 05:00 PM
L
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
L
And here's another batch.....

All-Star Western 34 (DC)
I had my CBS backorder this when I realized my man Darwyn Cooke drew the final issue. In a real way it's a standard Jonah Hex tale with the added benefit that we get some closure on the character...and some pretty happy closure at that. Little jarring to see Jonah presented without scars, an apparent leftover from a previous storyline. Cooke, as always, elevates any script he's given. I liked how this spins a previously canonical ending to Jonah's story in a different light. 3.5

Amazing Spider-Man 8 (Marvel)
Conclusion to fill-in is admittedly a little better. In the backup, I'm a little bummed to see what they've done to Spider-Girl, even though I never read May Day's book. 2.75

Birthright 1 (Image)
This was a pretty engrossing first issue, less for the fantasy set-up and more for the very real family drama that sets it up--something that is one of every parent's worst nightmare. Hard to say if this will translate into a great ongoing. 4.0

Buffy Season Ten 8 (Dark Horse)
New arc begins with a return to the crater that was Sunnydale and the tease of a couple possible resurrections. Fairly engrossing, admittedly, but further proving that BTVS is only moving backward. 3.25

Daredevil 9 (Marvel)
Still not engrossed by purple children, although Waid spins it as an interesting challenge to Murdock's powerset. Samnee's art is always a treat, regardless. 3.5

Fables 145 (Vertigo)
Two more characters go up against evil Bigby. They fare a little better than others have, but the threat continues. I dunno....all of this just still isn't working for me. 2.25

Lazarus 12 (Image)
One of the better recent issues as the families come together for a "Conclave". We get to see more Lazari and particularly get to see sparks fly again between two particular ones. At least this one feels like it's going somewhere. 4.0

Manifest Destiny 11 (Image)
Wow! Arollicking, adventurous and FUN conclusion to the second arc that is making me seriously reconsider dropping the ongoing in favor of trades! Loved this issue and its WTF moments! 5.75

Men of Wrath 1 (Marvel/Icon)
Bought this one because Jason Aaron wrote it. Kind of disappointing because the lead is established as irredeemable in a way that Cobie alluded to elsewhere. I'd already bought issues 2-4, sight unseen, so we'll see if there's more to it. 2.0

She-Hulk 9 (Marvel)
An unrevealed chapter of Captain America's past unfolds in the guise of a lawsuit based on events preceding his transformation. Jen and Matt Murdock go head-to-head in court, and it makes for quite an unusual issue. I'm enjoying this book and will be sad to see it go. 4.25

Stray Bullets: Killers 8 (Image)
As I mentioned elsewhere, kind of a frustrating ending in a way but another tense and involving issue from storyteller David Lapham. I really want to see more of Eli and hope he's in Lapham's continued plans as Ginny surely must be. 5.0

Stumptown 2 (Oni)
Last issue was all set-up and atmosphere, so it's good to see Dex doing what she does and there being a more personal aspect to it this time. It's hard to believe, though, that professional soccer is that big anywhere in the U.S. for that kind of hooliganism to be an aspect of the story. I don't live in Portland, so I'll have to trust Rucka on that one. 4.25

Lard Lad #839590 02/19/15 05:28 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive

Well, I'm goin' with __ out of 6, so....?!? confused
tease

Here's a rough idea of mine...

0 - Abyssmal (contains major flaws in nearly all areas/ specific areas of jaw dropping proportions that sink the book.)
1 - Rubbish (Gaping holes in plotting, art, dialogue etc and often in more than one area)
2 - Poor (some deficiencies in one or more areas, but with the odd plus point )
3 – Average (a solid title that you won't be disappointed with. Why would you buy a comic that's not at least decent, after all?)
4 - Good (Very solid with a few peaks for good measure)
5 - Excellent (Consistently better than the norm across the board)
6 - Exceptional (A title that really stays with you in at least a few areas)
7 – Classic (Stunning work across all areas)
8- Among the Best - (the field has to offer.)

There are some variations in each, but the .5 mark is the standard for each category.

I imagine that 9 & 10 anticipate the future of comics where you will download the experiences directly into your brain. smile

Lazarus 12 (Image)
One of the better recent issues as the families come together for a "Conclave". We get to see more Lazari and particularly get to see sparks fly again between two particular ones. At least this one feels like it's going somewhere. 4.0

It looks as though I jumped on at a good point, where events were coming to a head with the conclave.

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Lard Lad #839600 02/19/15 06:53 PM
L
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
L
Well....mine's out of six! grin

Lard Lad #839607 02/19/15 08:02 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Ok. I want to play.

She Hulk 012. I think I missed 011 and the lead up to the finale in 012 has been better than 012 was. Still it made me giggle out loud and I got to see Captain Marvel 2 in her class costume. Plus Dr Druid!

3.5 out of 5

Deadly Class #11

I'm smitten, I can't be relied upon to judge this accurately, I just think the characters and the book are so friction cool. These kids go from frying pan to meat grinder regularly.

A World 017

Honestly I only got this because I wanted to read a bunch of stuff for fun rather than actual interest. The Avengers pantheon is down to about three main characters now. I didn't think this was very good to be honest, had the plot of Saturday morning cartoon and focuses on a couple main characters and there is some inconstant behavior of the antagonist Imperial Guard. low action. Who has the Imperial Guard in a book and not tons of action! Checchetto's art is pretty damn good but not redeeming of the story.

2.7 out of 5

Multiversity Mastermen #1

Huge let down. It's offensive to the series. Been done, been done. Lee's art is super sketchy.

1 out of 5. ha!

Black Widow 015

I keep wavering at the CBS but keep liking this and enjoying it. It goes by so quick though. and Natasha comes of a bit unstable, in a nonsense way not an interesting way. Art is cool, the story telling aspect of the art is something I especially dig.

3.1 out of 5

Uncanny X-Men 031

I actually really liked this conclusion issue! This story arc and the annuals have made me a fan of the time traveling Eva Bell. This was some cool cross time caper traveling stuff. Lots of nice characterization and character growth. (Can't say more because of spoilers). I'm also a big fan of Bachalo's style. I don't have any clue why Havoc is on the cover though.

4.5 out of 5. (It would be a 5 but the X books have a lot to redeem themselves for)

Last edited by Power Boy; 02/19/15 08:03 PM.
Lard Lad #839608 02/19/15 08:04 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
My scales out of 5 ... unless something knocks me on my ass ... then it gets a six.

Lard Lad #839611 02/19/15 08:14 PM
L
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
L
Hm. On second thought, I think I'll keep thoth's master scale in mind. I figure that even with the best of today's market, a 7 or 8 is virtually unattainable, though. I hope some book will prove me wrong at some point.

Lard Lad #839686 02/20/15 01:32 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Hm. On second thought, I think I'll keep thoth's master scale in mind.

See. It grows on you! smile

No, not like mold...bloomin' cheek... tongue

Lard Lad #839696 02/20/15 01:36 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
ok ok I'll use it too ... but don't expect many 7s or 8s.

laugh

Lard Lad #839710 02/20/15 01:42 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
I couldn't tell you if I've had any... There are books I think might be in there, but I'd have to reread.

Lard Lad #839722 02/20/15 03:10 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Should we start a thread for eights? For fine comic books that pushed the medium forward.

I can think of a few ... for a variety of reasons ... such as when Kitty Pryde found Colossus alive in Astonishing X-Men (might be a seven) ... the Death of Supergirl in Crisis maybe.

Last edited by Power Boy; 02/20/15 03:10 PM.
Lard Lad #839741 02/20/15 04:11 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
I was wondering if there was that sort of thread around already - "The Bestest Reads Thread" or something. smile

Lard Lad #839746 02/20/15 04:28 PM
More Polyanna than Poison Ivy
More Polyanna than Poison Ivy
This is a nice little thread that might fit the criteria:

https://www.legionworld.net/forums/u...ds=best+comic&Search=true#Post803653

Read LEGIONS OF 7 WORLDS in the Bits forum:

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 1 (COMPLETED)

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 2 (WORK IN PROGRESS)

"Don't look for role models, girls, BE the role model."

- Legion World member HARBINGER
Lard Lad #839814 02/21/15 09:26 AM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Thanks Fickles. The issue I see there is that I also remember lots of poor comics too. wink

Last edited by thothkins; 02/21/15 09:36 AM.

Lard Lad #839815 02/21/15 09:35 AM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Reviews of Reads Revealed...

Aquaman 37 DC
It's Stargate Atlantis as Arthur finds a portal that mucks about with space time, depending on the stone glyphs in front of it. It first takes him to Gorilla City where we get a bit of Atlantean/ Gorilla diplomacy. In the old days they'd have fought before recognising each other, but this is better.

There's a very good dynamic on the Gorilla civilisation and why they feel they must keep Grodd (a previous ruler) alive. It helps explain why Grodd is so unlike the others in his savagery in DCNu, as it doesn't have the years of deterioration of previous boots. We get some history interspersed with Aqua/Grodd combat and an ending that takes both characters ahead with their plans. Overall a solid issue which the art does a lot to help. 4

Gotham by Midnight 2 DC
We get some back story into the history of Sister Clara. It's creepy enough, but a little brief. Corrigan is pretty much Constantine with a direct number for something very powerful. While not seeing much of the Spectre is an interesting choice, Corrigan is far too self assured in everything he does. A nice use of occult apps a la Stross books is offset by Corrigan's monologue two feet away form the books threat. A threat that amounts to very little in the end. Our internal affairs persons simple turns out to be a device to introduce us to the team, and to make us gasp at how supposedly weird they are. Templesmith's art is about the oddest thing in the book. 3.5

Copperhead 3 Image
The investigation into a family's murder continues. It's a quieter issue as we mainly follow the sheriff and the mother of one of the victims. Clues are searched for, only to have been closer to home than anyone thought. The art is continually strong in this book, making the sci-fi western setting natural. The size of the cast remains small allowing them all some extra characterisation. 4.25

Chew 45 Image
Laugh out loud moments in the carnage this issue. Tony confronts his partner about events in this arc and there's a genuine shock ending. 5.5

HellBoy & BPRD 1952 3 Dark Horse
The plot doesn’t race forward too much this issue. We get distracted by some surgically maltreated apes (more sad than pulp science here), some psychometric history (useful in a title like this) and some portents about Hellboy's future (it seems like every pantheon going keeps an eye on him). A betrayal from last issue is hinted at repetitively throughout. 3.75

Lazarus 14 Image
There's enough tension in the gathering of the families, but there's lots to enjoy in the twists and turns before the seemingly inevitable conflict. Forever executes her duty. At least, that's how it seems and we get a small look at her power in her reaction afterwards. the clans' conflict escalates with pace before the end. 4.5

Sex Criminals 10 Image
Well, there's not the feeling you're being talked at this issue. That's replaced with some comic book sex boundary pushing. There are some fun lines, but then there's also some therapy naval gazing and a glimpse of the villains who still don’t convince me of being very villainous really. The character we meet last issue is interested in exploring her powers, and there's some frank updating of chat ups. 4.25

Outcast 1 Image
I had seen the Preview for this and thought it was a bit Exorcist like. Now that I've read the first issue, it's a bit Exorcist like, but made for TV. We have a central character where this sort of thing seems to congregate around. Previous experiences have left him a bit of a wreck. It's in his relationship with others that the strength of the book currently lies.

Some of his relatives really, really dislike him and with good (if mistaken) reason. If anything the main character gets involved in similar events to his past a little too easily in the first issue. I'm hoping that his rise from where his life had been is a gradual one, with those unwilling to believe him at all. 4.5

Wild's End 4 Boom!
The crop circle cover is pretty unnerving. The group and a previous acquaintance manage to get out of their initial predicament a little too easily. However, the characterisation of each cast member really shines in this issue. There are more than a couple of great lines and a bleak humour runs through the issue.

Just when refuge seems to be around the corner a feeling of dread takes over. Abnett and Culbert have made me care about the characters. Considering what they're up against, none of them are safe. The invaders are drawn in a very interesting way, adding a Victorian unearthliness to the mechanical invasion of the quintessential English countryside. 6

C.O.W.L. 7 Image
It's a pretty murky super powered Chicago, where the good guys are fabricating things to give them a reason to keep going. There are some strong central characters, taking some irreconcilable positions. Had any side bothered to watch the others, they would have a much better idea about what's going on, as they meet often enough. The chief contact stands on the doorstep of a guy who had key evidence smoking a cigarette to catch anyone's attention.

The art has a sketchy, unconvincing first scene. It seems better when it's surrounded by the city. It's a period version of Powers, but they are run of the mill superpowers and they don't fully fit. This is a title I might take a look back to issue #1 for. Perhaps some extra background will be enough for me to pick up some more issues in the future. 3.75

EGOs 4 Image
With it's Legion-lite aspirations, I was taking a closer look at this title. The first three issues were average with some promise, as the team took on a (inferior) version of the Sun Eater. In the first two pages of this issue, the central male character is a selfish tool, the tryouts end without anywhere near the quality of any Legion version and the title's annoying narrator makes a return. Four issues in and this has the feeling of a filler.

The new recruits get up to some mischief and enter branespace. There, some serpents (that remind me of a Promethea comic) await them. It sounds better than it reads. Things pick up slightly when one of my previous comments turns out not to be the case, and there's some thought behind the clone members. But that says a lot about this title. There's a couple of ideas in there, but just not enough in the execution to make any of them really work that well. 3.25

Power Boy #839816 02/21/15 09:40 AM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
ok ok I'll use it too ... but don't expect many 7s or 8s.

laugh

I'm actually wondering if it will be arcs/trades that are more likely to get 7s and 8s. Better than the sum of their parts.

Lard Lad #839836 02/21/15 11:36 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
I also really enjoyed the Aquaman / Grodd issue. The series has been very strong lately, and it's the best use of Gorilla City in recent memory. Parker has a great handle on Aquaman, and the art is really fantastic.

The Chew ending was so shocking I almosf fell out of my chair. I couldn't believe it!

thoth lad #839841 02/21/15 01:31 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Reviews of Reads Revealed...

Wild's End 4 Boom!
The crop circle cover is pretty unnerving. The group and a previous acquaintance manage to get out of their initial predicament a little too easily. However, the characterisation of each cast member really shines in this issue. There are more than a couple of great lines and a bleak humour runs through the issue.

This is one of my favorite reads ... the characterization is hilarious! I love it. And the tension and excitement are gripping. But it does totally go by too fast. Probably will read like a very nice novel in a trade ... but I just can't wait that long. This book is just really very fun!

Lard Lad #840565 02/25/15 11:17 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Following up on our conversation about Batgirl, it looks like this might possibly be a way for fans like myself to have the best of both worlds...

Cobalt Kid #840628 02/25/15 04:39 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Thoth, I don't think I've ever heard you mention your dad before! Did he get you into comics? Very cool that he reads Groo!

Thanks for asking Cobie. I wasn't ignoring this, only failing to find a thread where I could mention it without interrupting the Random Reviews so much.

Lard Lad #840872 02/27/15 06:43 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Random Reviews...Revealed!

Usagi Yojimbo: Senso 6 Dark Horse
Giant robots vs Giant Martian machines in a feudal anthropomorphic Japan. Honestly, I don't know why you're reading this sentence when you should be on your way to the shops. There was a danger that this was all that the last issue would be about. There are quite a number of pages taken up by a battle. While that will look great in the trades, it makes for a quick single issue read and it's a little weaker as a result. However, there's a small twist at the end and a big shock before the end. 4.5

Star Wars 2 Marvel
The rebels try to escape the predicament they found themselves in last issue. Easier said than done with Vader around. Vader is written at his ruthless best here, with one exception. The characterisation elsewhere is still very consistent. The knowing nods to the films become a bit more intrusive. 4.5

Cluster 1 Boom
A near future where any the judicial system ensures that people are forced into choosing life imprisonment or 15 years of military service. Our heroine is from a rich family and ends up doing the service under circumstances we see a small glimpse of. We meet some of her fellow prisoners as they are shipped offworld to protect some terraforming towers against an alien threat.

So, there's a bit of Prisoner of cell block H comics I see elsewhere, some Starship Troopers with a prisoner destruct device from Suicide Squad and some Aliens related human expansion. With luck, it will expand on the darker hints behind what's really going on in future issues. From the hints of her background, the main character seems a bit too good to be true. Rich background; political motivations; rebellious and a top soldier. 3.75

Nameless 1 Image
Two brutal child murders in the opening two pages, and a choice swear word or two. Early indicators of a book that's trying too hard. The jump cut action dreams aren’t quite clever enough to heighten the reader's interest. Neither is the rather tired Moore-lite occult reference droppings. The most interesting thing by half way is the Quitely replacement art of Burnham. The book picks up in the last third, and we get a purpose for the series. Dream agent needed to help save the Earth from occult asteroid. So, there's a bit of cobbling from a few sources, but it's interesting enough to take a look next issue. 3.75

Stray Bullets: Sunshine & Roses 1 El Capitan
There's a lovely budding romance in this issue. It's in the panels where there's not mob war brutality and nerve tingling squeamishness. As always the plot has lots of depth without being complicated. The characters are so well written that it doesn't matter if they're playing mini golf or in fire fights: you're hooked. 6

Goon: Once Upon a Hard Time 1 Dark Horse
After the events of the last mini, The Goon has really fallen off the deep end. His despair is matched by his rage and almost by a self destructive tendency. It's a dark moment indeed, and the rest of the cast suffer as a result of his actions. They may be about to suffer some more as there's some mob trouble on the way. The story is so connected to the last mini, it can only be the sales gimmick of a new number 1 that has given this arc it's own title. 4.5

Velvet 1 Image
After a few jump cuts of a spy mission, I'm further let down by the revelation that our central character could has slept with most of the spies in the agency. It picks up from there though with the fall out form a murder and the life of our heroine in the agency. The photographic memory gets a clunk, whether it's "almost" or not. There are some deliberate Bond trappings, just to show the reader that the characters here might surpass that.

The last scene begins tense, but ends in a Ghost in the Shell action movie sequence. The sense of history behind the agency is a drawing point and Epting's art is excellent strengthens the book and gets it extra points. 4

Wytches 2 Image
We get the repercussions to last issue's cliffhanger in a flashback. This helps the main part of this issue in setting up the normal(ish) family/work/school events. When events happen to all three, there's a very interesting pace to the book as it cuts between them. But even in the sudden horrors, it's the creepy pledge stuff connecting both issues that lingers. I've read too many superhero books for the last page to have shock value it seems. 4.5

Manhattan Projects 25 Image
Thought provoking while we see the practical, and amusing, demonstrations of those thoughts. It's unfortunate that I haven’t been following the plot. So I've only got the last issue to go on. It's not really an arc that favours the casual jump on board reader. Fortunately it's on hiatus for a few months , giving me time to dig out the early issues. 4.25

Lard Lad #841970 03/08/15 11:19 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I picked up Hawkeye #1

even though I thought Fraction's Hawkeye had one more issue to go? Or didn't it just end awkwardly ....

While Lemire's wasn't as good as Fraction's ...still pretty good ... a bit more like Secret Avengers though .... I'll get number two ... Kate is back ... art is good.

Saga Twenty Six

It's no Y the Last Man. It just isn't ... and i think the issues need to be longer or I need to switch to the trades. It's still pretty good but with a cast of three or four groups of characters, in different places, It is starting to read like the Dungeons & Dragons ads from the 80s.

Guardians Team-Up 001

Arthur Adams. (I'm not in for number two)

Last edited by Power Boy; 03/08/15 11:20 AM.
Page 23 of 33 1 2 21 22 23 24 25 32 33

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,021
Posts1,045,202
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star