Roll Call
1 members (thoth lad, thoth lad, thoth lad), 40 Murran Spies, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Legion Trivia 6
by thoth lad - 05/09/24 03:34 PM
Kill This Thread LII - The End of the Deck of Cards
by Ann Hebistand - 05/09/24 03:29 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/09/24 03:19 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/09/24 03:04 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/09/24 03:03 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/09/24 03:03 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/08/24 05:47 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 60 of 68 1 2 58 59 60 61 62 67 68
Re: So what are you READING?
Stu #838669 02/11/15 11:10 PM
space mutineer & purveyor of quality sammitches
Death By Black Hole by De Grasse-Tyson. What a cliche for this board, huh? I've been picking at it for months. Always have to put it down and get off the bus or something just as it's getting good.

Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on DeviantArt! Drop by and tell me that I sent you. *updated often!*
rickshaw1 #838730 02/12/15 03:26 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally Posted by rickshaw1

The Radioactive Redhead, can't remember the two author's names though.

Did a marriage counselor recommend this to you? wink

"Everything about this is going to feel different." (Saturn Girl, Legion of Super-Heroes #1)
Stu #838768 02/12/15 07:56 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
heheheheh. No, LT, don't need one of those. But handling the explosions is half the fun. wink

Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!
Stu #839778 02/20/15 09:56 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Just finished re-reading the last of Betancourt's Amber books. Funny thing is, I remember so much more interesting stuff from them that weren't in the actual books. I think my imagination filled in more than was there.

Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!
Stu #840073 02/22/15 02:34 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Currently bouncing between Broken Monsters by Lauren Beukes and The Book of Lies by Brad Meltzer.

Stu #840103 02/22/15 08:00 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Hey Scooter!

How is Book of Lies? I've always liked Meltzer much better as a novelist than an comic book writer. And I love me some conspiracy theories!

Cobalt Kid #840204 02/22/15 08:45 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Originally Posted by Cobalt Kid
Hey Scooter!

How is Book of Lies? I've always liked Meltzer much better as a novelist than an comic book writer. And I love me some conspiracy theories!

Hey Cobie!

It's pretty decent so far. I was trying to read The Fifth Assassin first but put it down for BoL. I've been in that conspiracy/mystery mood.

Stu #840206 02/22/15 09:54 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I've been trying to finish a Star Trek novel since summer.

It's a "Lost Era" book that focuses on Rachel Garrett, the captain of the Enterprise-C, the one before Picard's. I bought it because she only appeared in one Star Trek episode and she died rather unceremoniously halfway through.

Stu #840207 02/22/15 10:25 PM
Not much between despair and ecstacy
Not much between despair and ecstacy
I used to love Star Trek novels because they added so much color and understanding to characters we got to know only through brief glimpses on television. However, sometimes the novels don't live up to expectations.

The first ST novel I read was The Price of the Phoenix by Sondra Marshak and Myrna Culbreath. I was in my freshman year in high school when I read it, and it was not the slam-bang action fest I expected. In fact, it spends too much time exploring the relationship between the Kirk clone and the female Romulan commander from "The Enterprise Incident." I think it might qualify as fanfic today.

Check out my new Power Club website!

The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that
Stu #840208 02/22/15 10:57 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Oh gosh, I've probably read a hundred or more Star Trek novels!

Peter David's New Frontier books are fun, if perhaps a bit sexier than the average Star Trek fare. Almost all of the characters are originals (except for blink-and-you-missed-her Dr. Selar, from a few Next Generation episodes).

How Much for Just the Planet is a fun classic Trek book. Others I remember; The Vulcan Academy Murders, Black Fire, Strangers from the Sky and Spock's World.

For the Next Generation crew, Q-in-Law was amusing (and I hate Q...), and Dark Mirror was just amazing.

I'm even more of a fan of the Deep Space 9 characters than the others, so I tended to like those novels even more, with Fallen Heroes being the best of the batch, powerful and dark in places.

I was out of the habit by the time Voyager and Enterprise novels were being written, so I have no idea if any of them are any good. (Although I liked Enterprise, and I've got time at work to do some reading on breaks, so I should probably hit up a used book store and nab some!)

Star *Wars* novels have a few gems amidst the rubble as well, such as the Dark Force Rising trilogy, by Timothy Zahn. (Heir to the Empire, Dark Force Rising, The Last Command) Great books, with some good characterization of the core characters, and a couple of memorable new characters.

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
Stu #840228 02/23/15 08:54 AM
Humanoid from the Deep
Humanoid from the Deep
I've only recently gotten into the Star Trek novels. The first one I read was a TNG novel called The Eyes of the Beholders. It's pretty solid and A.C. Crispin really captures the characters' voices.

I second Set's recommendation of the Zahn Star Wars novels. The Thrawn trilogy is fantastic and it's a shame they aren't adapting that for the new film.

Keep up with what I've been watching lately!

"Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? Our nation turns its lonely eyes to you."
Stu #840229 02/23/15 09:00 AM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
I remember being so excited when the Star Wars novels first started coming out (finally, more Star Wars!), but after the initial Zahn trilogy (which were excellent), my interest in them fizzled out pretty quickly.

Stu #842644 03/11/15 10:00 PM
Still haven't made it all the way through Death. I did complete Book Of Ages, which was about Ben Franklin's sister Jane. Of course, there's a lot of Ben himself in there, too. Writer Jill Lepore makes a legitimate case for writing history and biography based as much on what's been lost to time and circumstance as what's been preserved.

I'm now reading Bacon's and Aphramor's Body Respect, which is also very good. Some of it retraces the steps made earlier in Bacon's Health At Every Size, but then it takes off in a much more global/universal direction-- as it discusses the need to see the limitations of "personal choice" when so much of our daily lives are steered by people and institutions much more powerful than mere individuals.

Last edited by cleome48; 03/11/15 10:02 PM.

Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on DeviantArt! Drop by and tell me that I sent you. *updated often!*
Stu #843542 03/15/15 06:57 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Three times ordered New Gods V1 and three times got V4. It was an interesting read but starting in the middle, quite confusing. Apparently something mixed up in the library database so I ordered V1 using the state link.

Just got it. Now I'm hoping to understand what a bunch of kids flying around in a car has to do with Gods in a far off someplace.

I enjoyed the Star Wars books but the library can be very inconsistent on which ones they get. I need to pick a series and read it through by on-line ordering instead of trying to find them on the shelves. Loved the Thrawn series and the yuuzhan vong.

Kappa Kid #843551 03/15/15 08:01 AM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Originally Posted by Nostalgia Lad
I've only recently gotten into the Star Trek novels. The first one I read was a TNG novel called The Eyes of the Beholders. It's pretty solid and A.C. Crispin really captures the characters' voices.

I've gone back and re-read some recently, and am surprised by how little I remembered specifically. (As in, I'll remember a book for one of two reasons, I really liked it, or it was really terrible, but I never seem to be able to remember which looking at them again later, which makes my recommendations kind of dubious, since half of the books I 'remember' I am remembering because I hated them...)

Star Trek the First Adventure by Vonda McIntyre was great, for instance. Strangers from the Sky, meh. Black Fire was way less good than I remembered.

I'm currently rereading some of Peter David's New Frontiers Star Trek stuff (I own books 5 and 12, having lost a bunch of others, which I've re-ordered from Amazon and should have in a few days, to make this more of a re-read and less of a 'read those two books I have left.'). Peter David's characters are unique and fun, and he calls back such golden oldies as M'Ress and Arex, from the cartoon, and Dr. Selar, who showed up briefly on Next Generation.

One cool thing about the Star Trek novels is that there are quite a few female authors (which are rarer in 'generic' science fiction, it seems, at least since the heyday of Andre Norton, Anne McCaffery, Tanith Lee, etc.), and that they can use characters and concepts that would be too expensive / hard to do on a television or even movie budget, like the recurring character of Lt. Narrat, in a couple of novels, who is a Horta working in engineering!

Stu #843558 03/15/15 08:58 AM
Tempus Fugitive
Online Confused
Tempus Fugitive
I picked up an Aliens related book at a second hand bookstore a while back. I lasted about 40-50 pages.

There's been very little about the whole franchise I've really enjoyed beyond the movies (well, the first couple).

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
thoth lad #843562 03/15/15 09:11 AM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Originally Posted by thoth lad
I picked up an Aliens related book at a second hand bookstore a while back. I lasted about 40-50 pages.

There's been very little about the whole franchise I've really enjoyed beyond the movies (well, the first couple).

Dark Horse has done a couple of Aliens vs. Predator runs that were *amazing.* (So much better than the AvP movies that followed!)

This one was, IMO, great, and had a bit 'iconic' (a predator marking a human survivor to honor her warrior spirit) enough that it crept into one of the terrible movies.

thoth lad #843567 03/15/15 09:31 AM
More Polyanna than Poison Ivy

I recommend Steve Bissette and Dave Dorman's "Aliens: Tribes".

Read LEGIONS OF 7 WORLDS in the Bits forum:

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 1 (COMPLETED)

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 2 (WORK IN PROGRESS)

"Don't look for role models, girls, BE the role model."

- Legion World member HARBINGER
Stu #843568 03/15/15 09:35 AM
Tempus Fugitive
Online Confused
Tempus Fugitive
Thanks for that Set. I got the very first Aliens comic years ago, and didn't think enough of it to get the second issue. I little dabble much later on (they had changed the character names due to the events of the third movie) didn't change my mind in the slightest. But, I've not seen any AVP ones.

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
thoth lad #843572 03/15/15 10:28 AM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Thanks for that Set. I got the very first Aliens comic years ago, and didn't think enough of it to get the second issue. I little dabble much later on (they had changed the character names due to the events of the third movie) didn't change my mind in the slightest. But, I've not seen any AVP ones.

I vaguely remember a pretty good Aliens comic from Dark Horse that came out before the third movie, that starred a grown-up Newt and an older war-scarred Hicks (and Newt's new boyfriend, who turned out to be a synthetic). But yeah, the third movie came along and killed off Newt and Hicks off-screen, which kind of pooched that storyline. smile

Stu #844543 03/19/15 09:51 PM
I recently re-read Grant Morrison's autobiography-cum-history-of-superheroes book Supergods.

Here's the review that convinced me to read it:

Originally Posted by Fat Cramer
Supergods by Grant Morrison

This book recounts Morrison's development as a creator (and a human being), more or less chronologically. His life story was typical enough, although we can see that his activist father and the difficult conditions of the 1970s and Thatcher's Britain influenced his writing.

I didn't know that he had started out as an artist, as well as a musician.

Morrison's insights into and comments about comics of each era are very interesting. In some cases, it's his own viewpoint; in others, he offers the reader insider, behind-the-scenes information. It made me want to go back and reread the books he mentions.

His writing has reflected his personal mindset at a given time; he was heavily into drugs and drinking, which isn't a big revelation when you read some of his earlier works, like The Invisibles. Then he had a very mystical experience, and we got All-Star Superman....

More gossip would have been fun; Morrison lets out a few tidbits, but he's overall very much the gentleman and no doubt he pulls his punches when it comes to the publishers and his fellow creators. I certainly can't fault him for that.

His description of the Batman TV serials and movies was hilarious, as were some of his encounters at conventions and with fans.

Particularly interesting was his discussion of Iain Spence's Sekhmet Hypothesis (which I had never heard of), which links cycles in popular culture to sunspot cycles. According to Spence, we alternate between punk and hippie culture, to use contemporary terms. Morrison shows how this has played out in comic books, and claims that we are now embarking on a period of hippie culture: interest in the spiritual, peace, long hair, loose clothes,etc. - although he seems to apply the Sekhmet Hypothesis with a grain of salt.

The original content for this book was, according to an interview with Morrison, cut by half. I would really like to read the rest. Still, the 417 pages that did get published were fascinating and thought-provoking.

...here's my reply...

Originally Posted by Fanfic Lady
FC, you've sold me on Supergods. I had been aware of it for a while, but given my extreme ambivalence about Morrison's public image and works, it was always going to be a hard sell.

I still think he's a bit Bowie-esque, often using mystique to sell mediocrity. But like Bowie, he's offered plenty of good ideas (and plenty of bad ones, and plenty of ugly ones -- the killing of Darkstar being the worst offender IMO. Then again, it's the job of the EDITORS to tell him when he's off-base.)

Still, lifting the curtain to reveal the man behind it should make for an interesting read, to say the least.

Best of all, my library carries it.

...and here's my initial review.

Originally Posted by Fanfic Lady
Well, I finished Supergods, and while I think it's a TREMENDOUS book, it left me more ambivalent about Grant Morrison than ever. But maybe that's the way it should be. Things are never simple with Morrison, literally and figuratively.

The book is at its best in the middle, covering Morrison's beloved Silver Age through the Widescreen era (Authority et al) at the end of the 90s.

The early chapters, covering the Golden Age and the anti-comics panic, seem to rush by, as by the author's own admission, this is well-trod territory.

The later chapters, starting with Morrison's unhappy dance with Marvel at the beginning of the new millenium and ending with Morrison taking over Action Comics, feel somehow compromised, as if Morrison was biting his tongue particularly hard so as not to offend the people involved with the corporation that he currently works for. I just don't buy that he unquestioningly approves of what might be called The Second Dark Age.

Still, there's a lot to recommend this book, as the story of Morrison the working-class hero whose dreams all come true, as a decidedly different kind of self-help book, and as an view-from-the-inside look at pop culture and its synergy with society.

I still believe that Morrison is better at TALKING ABOUT comics than WRITING comics, so I'd certainly be in favor of follow-ups to this book. This could be the start of a whole new branch to his career.

My overall opinion was more favorable the second time around. It helped that Morrison has recently produced such gems as the Shazam one-shot that ties into Multiversity. So I'm a bit more charitable about the tongue-biting, except for the chapter about Identity Crisis, Infinite Crisis, and his own Final Crisis. That one stinks of B.S. worse than ever.

It's been rumored that Multiversity might be Morrison's last, last, LAST word on superheroes (and that this time he means it, maaaaan.) Certainly he's in the enviable position that he doesn't have to write them if he doesn't want to (unlike, say, poor Peter David, who obviously burned out on them years ago.) But I do hope he'll write at least one more non-sequential book in the same mould as Supergods.

Stu #844591 03/20/15 09:28 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I picked up Let it Bleed, Knots and Crosses, and Black and Blue by Ian Rankin in a charity shop recently (for £2 the lot - result!) so am really enjoying re-discovering the misty, murky and often murderous streets of Edinburgh with everyone's favourite cynical alcoholic Inspector Rerbus.

Legion Worlds NINE - wait, there's even more ongoing amazing adventures? Yup, and you'll only find them in the Bits o' Legionnaire Business Forum.
Stu #844608 03/20/15 10:56 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Regarding Supergods, there's a great follow-up interview with Rolling Stone, where he lets slip a little that he was overly generous (or at least held back the negatives) about Identity Crisis, et al, as he likes the people involved, and didn't want to slam them on such a wide stage. He has no compunctions about going after Millar though. Let me see if I can find it.

Stu #844609 03/20/15 11:00 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Here it is:

You were very kind to Brad Meltzer’s Identity Crisis in Supergods.
I was trying to be kind because I like Brad Meltzer. He's a nice guy. I have a lot of interesting conversations with him so I tried to focus on what I thought was good about it and there was actually quite a lot when I read it again. The first time I read it I was kind of outraged. I thought this was just… why? What the fuck is this, really? It wasn't even normal. It was outrageous. It was preposterous because of the Elongated Man with his arms wrapped several times around the corpse of his wife. I thought something is broken here. Something else else has gone so wrong in this image.

That plotline faced a lot of criticism, in part because people saw it as misogynistic.

It's hard to tell because most men try to avoid misogyny, really they do, in this world we live in today. It's hard for me to believe that a shy bespectacled college graduate like Brad Meltzer who's a novelist and a father is a really setting out to be weirdly misogynistic. But unfortunately when you're looking at this beloved character who's obviously been ass-raped on the Justice League satellite, even saying it kind of takes you to that dot dot dot where you don't know what else to say.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/grant-morrison-on-the-death-of-comics-20110822

Stu #844613 03/20/15 11:51 AM
I had already read that interview, but maybe someone who hasn't read it before would be interested. Thanks, Dave.

And, yeah, if he want to bad-mouth Millar, I'm all for it. grin

Page 60 of 68 1 2 58 59 60 61 62 67 68

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,021
Posts1,045,227
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Not-So-Bad Lad
Not-So-Bad Lad
The Evil Anti-Moon!!!!
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star