Roll Call
1 members (Ann Hebistand, Ann Hebistand, Ann Hebistand, Ann Hebistand, Ann Hebistand, Ann Hebistand, Ann Hebistand, Ann Hebistand, Ann Hebistand), 52 Murran Spies, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Legion World Fan Table at SDCC
by Nightcrawler - 05/15/24 07:48 AM
So, what are you listening to?
by Ann Hebistand - 05/15/24 07:24 AM
The 2nd All Avengers Thread
by Ann Hebistand - 05/15/24 07:12 AM
Kill This Thread LIII - There's a Joker in Here!
by Ann Hebistand - 05/15/24 07:02 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/15/24 05:45 AM
Legion Worlds Nine updated 15 May 24
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/15/24 03:57 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/15/24 03:44 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/15/24 03:44 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 13
Re: Re-Reading the Legion: Archives Vol. 9
Lard Lad #841496 03/04/15 09:11 PM
Not much between despair and ecstacy
Jim,
It seems to me that there's a difference between explaining that Lightning Lad has lightning powers (as his name suggests) or that Superboy's weakness is kryptonite (which likely every comics reader in the late '60s already knew) and the relatively obscure weakness of a character which may have been mentioned once or twice before (in a different book, at that).

One thing comics creators did very well in earlier times was assume that every issue would be a reader's first issue. They took pains to make sure new readers would not be confused. There are ways to do this without being exposition-heavy. For example, Mon could have asked "Shady" if the bright lights of the meeting room were uncomfortable for her. When she expressed confusion at the question, it could have been an early tip off to him and to the readers that something wasn't quite right.

There would still have been plenty of red herrings to keep the reader guessing before the big reveal.

Check out my new Power Club website!

The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that
He Who Wanders #841511 03/04/15 11:36 PM
Leader
Leader
Originally Posted by He Who Wanders
The Legion Handbook lists the art credit as Mortimer/Abel. But I agree that it does look better than the art in most of the recent stories.

The Illustrated Legion Index lists it as Mortimer/Anderson. It does look like Anderson inks to me.

Buy my new graphic novel!
http://www.dodeka12.com
Lard Lad #841561 03/05/15 01:37 PM
The Legion handbook could be wrong. It's always difficult to identify artists on these early stories since the creators were usually not credited.

Lard Lad #841620 03/05/15 08:47 PM
Leader
Leader
Well, if my Artdar is any good at all . . .

Lard Lad #841621 03/05/15 09:15 PM
Well, your Artdar thought it was Swan. tongue wink

Lard Lad #841636 03/06/15 03:20 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
"Repeating" details to clarify plot: must have be one of the toughest editorial decisions in comics or any serial writing.

Reading as an adult and long time fan it's really nice when the old comics DON'T repeat, repeat, repeat, which I suppose would have been my feeling at the time the issue first came out since I wouldn't have been a first time reader of five years old.

One person's judgment becomes another's plot-hole. A darwian adaption of cold being a weakness to intense heat? A dark-caster's weakness to intense light? A bit cliché but probably wouldn't have seemed like such a leap of reader being able to "figure out" to me, I'd have probably made the same editorial decision.

Lard Lad #842403 03/10/15 09:43 PM
Action 380 "Half a Legionnaire"

This story, like 378's "The Forbidden Fruit" is one of the hidden gems of the Action run. It develops Lu's relationship with Chuck and reveals new information about her power. For instance, we learn that neither Lu is the "real" Lu since they are exactly alike and share whatever experiences either has had when they merge. This is also a rare Lu spotlight in which she comes to the fore as the central character. In fact, the role call on Page 1 lists her as "starring" and Chuck and Mon (the only other Legionaires present) in support "featuring" roles.

After single-handedly (double-handedly?) stopping a high-rise sniper, Lu is sent on a distant mission. Exhausted, she splits into her two bodies so one can stay in Metropolis and relax with Chuck while the other carries out the mission. When the second Lu returns days later, she brings two surprises: a new name, Lelith, and a fiance, a hero named Nam'Lor.

It soon transpires that "Lelith" has developed a very different personality than the Lu who stayed behind, and the two personalities struggle with each other in their dreams after they merge. Upon awaking, "Lelith" splits from Lu again and runs off.

The dream sequence here serves a wonderful dual role. It gives us exposition by showing us what happened to Luornu II during her mission to the planet Ikros. But it also furthers the plot by revealing how the two Lu's share information when they merge. What normally should be a smooth process goes inexplicably wrong, and Due Damsel awakens with a literal split personality.

I think it was brilliant of Shooter to explore this possibility of Lu's power. In a comparatively few stories which have spotlighted her, Shooter has turned her into a rich character with a complex power--something beyond the scope of previous Legion scribes Jerry Siegel and Edmond Hamilton (who once admitted that he didn't know what to do with the character).

The story also builds well off of Lu's fears and uncertainty. A telling moment is when Lu can only watch as "Lelith" runs off and thinks she should know where her other half is going but does not. Suddenly, everything Lu has been certain about regarding her power--and perhaps even taken for granted--has been denied her.

And it gets worse when "Lelith" and her fiance are exposed as the criminals behind recent robberies.

"Half a Legionnaire" is not a perfect gem. It should be obvious to even young readers that the shadowy culprits are none other than "Lelith" and Nam'Lor--they even refer to each other by their initials while committing crimes! And the victory for Lu is unearned. Nam'Lor simply comes to his senses and refuses to kill Chuck when prompted by "Lelith." (Also, Nam has committed several thefts yet is allowed to walk away with no other consequence than a broken heart. Lu and Chuck were in no position to stop him, of course, but neither raises any objection to his leaving either.)

However, this story illustrates why the eight-page backup format occasionally works well for the Legion. These stories often expanded the personalities, powers, and world of the Legionnaires in ways that had never been attempted before.

Lard Lad #842443 03/11/15 06:32 AM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Action Comics 379

All those years training to be a Talokian champion, and it's straight to hair pulling for Shady. Mind you, out of place hair is a serious issue for Dreamy, so perhaps she knows what she's doing. All part of the fracas in finding out which one of five Legionnaires ...is an impostor!

Also note Jan pointing out that Lightning Lad is suspicious looking. Garth must try harder to hide his true Proty nature in future.

Even before the computer warns them of the nefarious threat, I'm suspicious of Jan. "itching for some action" doesn't really suit him.

The computer is about to tell them who it is (how would it know?) when it's destroyed leaving us to figure things out with the team. Who could sabotage the computer easily? Everyone but Dream Girl probably.

The encounter with Sunburst is a good one, with all five showing some odd things. Mon's weakness, Shady withstanding bright lights, Dreamy making a prediction - but will it be true? Garth's hair being affected by his powers and Jan being useless in a fight. Actually, that last one isn't unknown for Jan. He may be the real one.

Shady takes down Sunburst in a way that we would see later when she attacks the Persuader in Tales of the Legion on Talok.

It's just as well that the impostor gives themselves up as the rest of the story is fully involved in explaining why the powers of the others were affected. So the reveal is the last bit of action in the story.

It looks as though a factoid was the basis around which to hang the story. Which is fine. The premise is decent enough, but space means things have to be a bit forced, and there's no climactic encounter. We see the team turn on each other and blame each other, because they have to in so few pages. The explaining is done in a way reminiscent of dull detective novels where the last chapter isn't whodunit but lookhowsmartiam.

It's a quick read, and I quite like the guts shown by the impostor.

But the real mystery is why the computer let the impostor in in the first place.

Elsewhere in the issue...don't expect Superman to protect you from alien death.

[Linked Image]

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Lard Lad #842505 03/11/15 12:37 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Action Comics 380

The "lets...suppose" premise is something I don't like seeing in the opening caption. I'd prefer to be involved in the story without it being quite so obvious it's the writer's whim.

It's good to see Lu and Chuck as the stars. Let's hope they have a tale where they avoid feeling that their powers are useless. Not a good start as Lu seems to have forgotten she has a flight ring. Why is she climbing a ladder against an armed crook? Ah, all part of her plan.

The short amount of space means that there’s no real mystery regarding who’s committing the crimes. On the plus side, the focus on Lu’s reactions to having a second personality is all the more powerful for that.

Lu lets the reader in on her future as a security consultant, and it’s off on assignment with the very nice touch of going armed. We see the Legion arsenal every now and again, and it’s nice to see it used.

Lu may be having some mental issues, but Chuck wants to lick worlds! That’s a little creepy, although with a Legion cruiser and a transuit…

Jillikers! Bad Lu, or Lelith, really has turned out to be bad. It goes beyond theft, and falling into bad company with Nam’Lor very quickly, speeding along to trying to have Chuck killed and Lu framed for other crimes.

Bah! Another issue where Lu is “half a Legionnaire” and where Chuck’s body shapes are brought up.

Then there’s the nice twist, with Nam’Lor actually being a good guy who had fallen for Lelith. Despite their destructive relationship, he just couldn’t give her up.

As he trudges away, back to being the hero of Ikros, we see a silhouetted Lelith struggling against her captors, not wanting to return to normal.

And I guess she didn’t as the guys in the TMK run suggested that there were a number of relationships going on with the various Lu counterparts. It’s a shame we didn’t see more to them than that.

It was a good decision not to cram too many characters into this new format. It shows that the writer doesn’t have to hide behind huge battles every issue, but is capable of having thoughtful stories about the cast.

There haven’t been enough stories including addiction and mental illness, and the tale has a lot more plus points than minus ones.

Elsewhere this issue... beyond kissing cousins...bondage cousins...
click to enlarge

in a really entertaining Superman story - continued next issue >gasp<

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
thoth lad #842628 03/11/15 09:29 PM
Originally Posted by thoth lad

I Not a good start as Lu seems to have forgotten she has a flight ring.

Yes, and she also forgot to take it with her to Ikros. Luckily, Nam happened by at just the right moment. Yet perhaps he didn't catch her quickly enough. Her pose on the bed on page 6 suggests a spinal fracture of some sort.

Lard Lad #842973 03/12/15 10:12 PM
Leader
Leader
Action 380 gives us another spotlight on a lesser developed Legionnaire and some rare insight into how her 2 selves are linked mentally. The dream sequence was especially interesting. It seems strange for only one of the damsels to go on a mission by herself but I suppose the writer had to come up with some feasible way to separate them for an extended period, long enough for Lelith to absorb enough energy from Nam'lor to turn evil and start a crime spree. It's kind of laughable in light of today's technology to think of someone having to travel light years through space just to deliver "important papers". This story also shows a rare instance of the Legionnaires resorting to carrying sidearms, something I've long lobbied for the members with less aggressive powers to do. It's also pretty laughable that the almighty Bouncing Boy fails to break through Nam'lor's force field with a single punch and thus declares it impenetrable. Nice to see Luornu taking initiative to go around the field and getting a shot off. A little disappointing that she later stands around acting helpless while BB is in danger of being killed by the much more powerful Nam'lor. He was an interesting tragic character. Too bad we never saw him again, though I didn't care much for his costume. I'm guessing the art team is Mortimer and Abel. Not my favorite combination but they do a serviceable job.

Lard Lad #842974 03/12/15 10:14 PM
Leader
Leader
Action 380 letter column:

Attached Images ACT380p13.jpg

jimgallagher #843111 03/13/15 12:18 PM
Originally Posted by jimgallagher
It's kind of laughable in light of today's technology to think of someone having to travel light years through space just to deliver "important papers".

The Legion's internet must have been down. Probably something to do with the move from Adventure to Action. wink

It's also pretty laughable that the almighty Bouncing Boy fails to break through Nam'lor's force field with a single punch and thus declares it impenetrable. Nice to see Luornu taking initiative to go around the field and getting a shot off.

Chuck always did have an inflated opinion of himself.

And this is proof that girls are smarter than boys.

A little disappointing that she later stands around acting helpless while BB is in danger of being killed by the much more powerful Nam'lor.

Girls may be smarter, but that doesn't mean they actually have to do anything. laugh

I suspect that Nam never got over the fact that he had become a criminal for the love of a woman. When he returned to Ikros, he gave up being a hero and entered a monastery. Perhaps he could encounter Sister Laurel Gand in a merged reality.

He Who Wanders #843112 03/13/15 12:46 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Originally Posted by He Who Wanders
Yes, and she also forgot to take it with her to Ikros. Luckily, Nam happened by at just the right moment.

When I was typing away, I thought that there might only be the one ring to go between the two of them. Unlike her clothes and probably in the face of umpteen previous appearances. smile

Lard Lad #843122 03/13/15 04:11 PM
I recall reading somewhere (the Legion Handbook?) that the flight ring duplicates when she does, just like her clothes.

Lard Lad #843124 03/13/15 04:38 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
No doubt, but for that moment I went down a different path.:)

How do the Legion create new flight rings? Give Luornu one and she just duplicates them.

Lard Lad #843135 03/13/15 05:00 PM
Leader
Leader
Oh yeah. I meant to mention how Luornu took off one set of belt, boots, gloves, and cape to take her nap but the 2 of her put on 2 sets when she woke up. Did her clothes split even though she wasn't wearing them?

Lard Lad #843147 03/13/15 06:40 PM
Leader
Leader
One more tangent on DD's costume. Considering that Triplicate Girl and Shrinking VIOLET were introduced in the same issue, why didn't they put Vi in well, VIOLET and TG in green? Granted, Vi was introduced as a failed applicant and they may have never planned to use her again, but it still seems odd. In those early days, they may have never planned to use TG again either.

Lard Lad #843170 03/13/15 07:45 PM
Jim,
Your post got me to thinking about the origin of the phrase "shrinking violet." An article can be found here.

Your theory sounds plausible. Whatever the reason, I've always liked it that Vi did not sport a violet costume for much of her career. Her drab green attire focused the reader's attention on her power and personality instead of the color part of her name. It was a way of saying there was more to this woman than a surface connection.

Perhaps Vi was too shy and timid to wear violet (which is a rather bold color).

On the other hand, this reminds me of the character The Blue Raja in the film "Mystery Men." The Blue Raja did not wear blue--he had some sort of arcane mythological or literary reason for using the name--and got tired of people constantly pointing out that he didn't wear blue. Vi at least had an easy out. She could literally shrink away when anyone asked about her name.

Lard Lad #843172 03/13/15 08:00 PM
Leader
Leader
Interesting article. Thanks.

Lard Lad #843305 03/14/15 11:12 AM
Leader
Leader
One more thought on this issue: it's nice to see Luornu described as beautiful. She was usually overlooked in favor of the glamorous Dream Girl, the imperious Saturn Girl, the regal Projectra, etc.

Lard Lad #843958 03/16/15 05:30 PM
Action 381 "The Hapless Hero"

"The Hapless Hero" begins with a terrific premise and once again explores the lesser known sides of two underused Legionnaires. However, the story barely gets off to a good start when it ends in a perfunctory and not very satisfying manner.

The story centers on Matter-Eater Lad, who hitches a ride with other Legionnaires in Chemical King's new car. But Tenz insists that Chem drop him off several blocks from home because he is ashamed for his Legion buddies to see where he actually lives: in a slum.

Tenz's living arrangements turn out to be the least of his concerns. His out-of-work father spends his time and pension gambling while Tenz's mother, too "nervous" to find work, waits for her son to come home so she can hit him up for his Legion living allowance in order to pay bills. Yep, Tenz comes from the archetypal dysfunctional home.

After a blowup with his father, Tenz stalks out and returns to Legion HQ, where he encounters Shrinking Violet, who has problems of her own. Vi is upset because her long-distance boyfriend, Duplicate Boy, has stood her up on a date. Tenz decides to take his living allowance--the one his mother begged him for--and spend it on a night on the town with Vi. They eat at a swanky restaurant and go dancing. And then when Tenz drops her off at Legion HQ, she rewards him with a kiss.

Just then, Dupe, who has been watching them (!), teleports in and challenges Tenz for his woman!

Never mind the stereotypical plot. What works here are some underlying themes that most kids can identify with: being ashamed of one's home life, being stood up, making the best of a bad situation and, perhaps best of all, the "little guy" standing up to the big bully. Duplicate Boy (who can duplicate any power) is many times more powerful than Matter-Eater Lad, so their showdown ought to be something to watch.

Except that it isn't.

With some few well-chosen words, Tenz reminds Dupe that anything he does that involves violence will cost him the love of Violet (who, like most of the girls in this run, remains passive and does not stand up for herself). Dupe backs down and he and Violet snuggle. The next day, Tenz receives a letter that his parents want him to move back home and his father has given up gambling. The end.

If this story had been given about three more pages, we might have seen a more realistic confrontation between Dupe and Tenz. One of the things that struck me upon re-reading this story is how none of the Legionnaires use their powers. Only Dupe gets to fly, teleport, use telescopic vision, and display his strength by bending what looks like a girder.

While it can be a nice change of pace to have a story that focuses solely on the Legionnaires' personalities and relationships, a great opportunity was wasted for Tenz, the little guy, to show what he can do, to use his power in some ingenious way and prove he's not such a little guy, after all. It's great that he disarms Dupe with words (teenagers, take note: this is how you're supposed to resolve conflict). But this resolution comes too soon and is not wholly convincing.

I would also have liked to see the Tenz subplot play out for a few more issues--perhaps we could have learned that his father, like most addicts, did not make good on his promise to quit gambling. As with Brin's drug addiction in 378, this story creates a false impression that addictions are easy to overcome.

But the dating scenes are well done. It's a shame that Tenz and Vi didn't hit it off for real. They seem to have more in common than most Legion couples.

Lard Lad #843963 03/16/15 06:17 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I agree, there was a problem with the quick wrap-up, the idea that serious problems can be resolved so quickly but I think the one-shot story was all they had to work with? Given the limited space available to Legion, I think fans would have rioted if too much on one marginal character were to take up that space.

It was a story about what was an all too common theme in this neighborhood, even then, moreso now. Lots of bars. Lots of people feeling they'd gotten the shaft in life, taking it out on the family. Spending money they didn't have on feel-good. Lot's of looking the other way. Stereotypical? Yeah, this part perhaps. But the writer has to grab the readers' attention somehow. Writing something they can identify with seems like a good approach?

As for the other sub-plot, "Cinderfella" might have been the stereotypical approach. They didn't take that. ME Lad had a great night out, made a friend a closer friend, but even the big athletic good looking guy can be a true love. I think they did a good job of avoiding the stereotype in this part of the story.

It might be good they didn't "fight." It was a serious attempt at a serious story and ME's powers don't lend themselves well to that. A more powerful member would have allowed the writer to feed the teenboy the daily slop of action. ME Lad was the hard choice and in my opinion, a good choice. The resolution had no choice but to be diplomatic, which lent itself well as it turned out, towards his political future.

If was a nice story for what it was, an attempt at a nice story in a one-shot period of comics writing. It was certainly a diversion into the real world and characterisation, which was typical of this run.

Lard Lad #843969 03/16/15 06:40 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
^^Yeah my take on the resolution was that it was meant to foreshadow his career in politics. The Legion has done plenty of lesser powered character steps up and beats the odds type stories, so as cool as it would be to see Tenzil take down Dupe, I find this resolution kind of satisfying in its uniqueness.

Lard Lad #843979 03/16/15 06:48 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I'd be afraid of where he'd have had to bite DB in order to defeat him.

Page 5 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 13

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,022
Posts1,045,335
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden