Roll Call
0 members (), 34 Murran Spies, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/09/24 03:05 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/09/24 03:04 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/09/24 03:03 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/09/24 03:03 AM
Kill This Thread LII - The End of the Deck of Cards
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/09/24 03:02 AM
Legion Trivia 6
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/08/24 10:58 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/08/24 05:47 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: What is Your Favorite Movie of All Time?
Lard Lad #842022 03/08/15 04:12 PM
More Polyanna than Poison Ivy
More Polyanna than Poison Ivy
Originally Posted by Paladin
I just re-watched my sentimental all-time favorite last night: The Empire Strikes Back! love

I know I've seen better movies in my lifetime, but absolutely none has been more influential and beloved by me!

Well said, Lardy. It was ground-breaking, and it didn't come easy. Director Irvin Kershner tested George Lucas' patience with his meticulous approach, but in the end it was all well worth it.

Read LEGIONS OF 7 WORLDS in the Bits forum:

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 1 (COMPLETED)

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 2 (WORK IN PROGRESS)

"Don't look for role models, girls, BE the role model."

- Legion World member HARBINGER
Fanfic Lady #842025 03/08/15 04:17 PM
Humanoid from the Deep
OP Offline
Humanoid from the Deep
Originally Posted by Fanfic Lady
I just re-watched my sentimental all-time favorite last night: The Empire Strikes Back! love

I know I've seen better movies in my lifetime, but absolutely none has been more influential and beloved by me!

Well said, Lardy. It was ground-breaking, and it didn't come easy. Director Irvin Kershner tested George Lucas' patience with his meticulous approach, but in the end it was all well worth it.

Lawrence Kasdan must also be credit for his fantastic script! nod

Keep up with what I've been watching lately!

"Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? Our nation turns its lonely eyes to you."
Kappa Kid #842027 03/08/15 04:19 PM
Trap Timer
Online Happy
Trap Timer
^^Not to mention Leigh Brackett's early work on it, to bring in the Legion connection.

Eryk Davis Ester #842030 03/08/15 04:32 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L

Originally Posted by Nostalgia Lad

Lawrence Kasdan must also be credit for his fantastic script! nod
Originally Posted by Eryk Davis Ester
^^Not to mention Leigh Brackett's early work on it, to bring in the Legion connection.

I was hooked with the first "Star Wars" (to me that's what it will always be, though I have to often use "A New Hope" these days, so people will know which one I mean). But "Empire" just took it way beyond the next level. It still amazes me, the bravery it took making a film in which our heroes get their asses completely handed to them and only escape (well, most of them) by the skin of their teeth. The movie really sells the threat of the Empire and the odds the Rebels had against them. In many ways Return of the Jedi is a disappointment in comparison, but the greatness of Empire as a film can never be diminished in my eyes.

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
Power Boy #842033 03/08/15 04:40 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Originally Posted by Power Boy

Bors: I'm hungry
Arthur: Right. Let's stop for lunch. Who brought the provisions?
Knights: Ummmmmm...
Arthur: Oh, for heaven's sake. All that riding through cherry blossom, and no one thought to bring more than their armour? Right. Back to Camelot. And turn that bloody music off too.

These days, there would be hordes of CGI knights and enemies in the movie. Would it be better for it? Possibly not, although it does seem like a bit of a skirmish than a war.

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Kappa Kid #842035 03/08/15 04:47 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
This is tough. The movies I re-watch most were mostly made before me, lol and I'm more about story that appeals to me than art.

The Long Grey Line has that stuff I like: biography, over achievement, dedication, a bit of humor, man tears are okay and doesn't pull punches when it needs to. Hard to go wrong with a John Ford movie.

Green Mile would probably be my post birth favorite.

It's like picking a favorite Legion story, I'll have a different answer tomorrow.

More recently, probably Rent or Across the Universe. Watched both of those several times already.

Blockade Boy #842037 03/08/15 05:00 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Originally Posted by Blockade Boy

More recently, probably Rent or Across the Universe. Watched both of those several times already.

LOVE "Across the Universe"!!! Such a great visual and musical treat that all Beatles fans should experience! love

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
Lard Lad #842040 03/08/15 05:25 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally Posted by Blockade Boy

LOVE "Across the Universe"!!! Such a great visual and musical treat that all Beatles fans should experience! love

The performances held up well I thought, considering who they would be compared to. Across the Universe could have fallen prey to forcing the scenes to match the songs but I thought they did an amazing job as if the story preceded the songs.

The bohemien lifestyle in both movies probably hit home for me a bit but I really liked the relationships built in both movies.

Kappa Kid #842051 03/08/15 06:22 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
The Bourne Identity for action, Dogtooth for general weirdness and Bridesmaids for comedy.

For the last 30 years or so I've always tried to go to the cinema a least once a month so usually like to think I'm fairly knowledgeable about films but there have been quite few mentioned that I've never seen so must get streaming soon.

Legion Worlds NINE - wait, there's even more ongoing amazing adventures? Yup, and you'll only find them in the Bits o' Legionnaire Business Forum.
Kappa Kid #842052 03/08/15 06:28 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Oh.. Rosencrantz & Guildenstern are dead!

A movie, not an announcement smile

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Kappa Kid #842053 03/08/15 06:34 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
One of my favorite scenes in a film has to be the tape recorder scene in Manhattan Murder Mystery.

hahaha!

Kappa Kid #842068 03/08/15 07:42 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I an pretty sure that I have successfully navigated entirely around Woody Allen's portfolio.

Just checked IMDB

I saw part, a small part of Midnight in Paris. Only found one that I watched. Antz. How odd is that?

Kappa Kid #842704 03/12/15 07:25 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
"Naked Lunch" continues to be my all-time favourite, it's just so sad, funny, bizarre and a perfect fusion of Cronenberg and Burroughs aesthetics, that I can just watch it again and again.

Short list of other contenders:

London Kills Me
Exotica
Beautiful Creatures
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Empire Strikes Back
Donnie Darko
Casablanca
Diggstown
Jesus de Montreal

Kappa Kid #844238 03/18/15 07:08 AM
in hiding
in hiding
I have to go with The Princess Bride. It's one of the few I am willing to watch more than once. In fact, it's the only one to make it past three viewings (I'm really not a big movie fan).

First comic books ever bought: A DC four-for-47-cents grab bag that included Adventure #331. The rest is history.
Kappa Kid #844262 03/18/15 10:03 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
I'm a huge movie buff. But its really hard for me to come up with a favorite without going into a huge mega-long post about dozens of movies that I love.

When I was younger, there were really only two contenders: Casablanca, which I used to watch again and again from age 11 onwards, and the Godfather (Part 1), which I was just mesmerized with. Now, I think Godfather Part 2 is probably the superior film, but Godfather Part 1 is a more sentimental favorite that I love.

There are so many other great ones though. The Quiet Man, The Maltese Falcon, Bridge on the River Kwai, On the Waterfront. But I'm not just totally betrothed to classics or even poignant movies. I love Top Gun, Predator, Reservoir Dogs, Rocky, First Blood and others. Even the Lion King is a major cinematic achievement.

Blockade Boy mentioned another favorite of mine, "Long Grey Line", which I used to watch with my Mom all the time. Also in that vein are Going My Way, Bells of Saint Mary's and It's a Wonderful Life.

In recent years, the King's Speech was nothing short of astounding. I loved Gladiator. Loved Dallas Buyers Club.

See? I better stop now.

Kappa Kid #844274 03/18/15 10:38 AM
Humanoid from the Deep
OP Offline
Humanoid from the Deep
Cobie, Predator is one of my all time favorite movies. You just can't beat classic Schwarzenegger. nod

I like a lot of junk movies...

Last edited by Nostalgia Lad; 03/18/15 12:30 PM.

Kappa Kid #844293 03/18/15 02:42 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Ever go into watching a movie thinking, this is going to suck, then loved it? "King's Speech" did that for me.

Cobie nailed on my tastes better than I did. It's a Wonderful Life makes me gag but Bells and Going My Way, watch these every Christmas season. Tough guys and city kids... Cagney with the Bowery Boys as boys... gold!

Fish out of water movies, particularly those that show in a good turn, people some might think too humble to have a lot of wisdom, I like many of those.

Not a huge fan of Sidney Poitier but Lilies of the Field is another re-watcher.

The Mission inspired a good bit of my traveling into remote areas.

the Hermit #844295 03/18/15 02:44 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally Posted by the Hermit
I have to go with The Princess Bride. It's one of the few I am willing to watch more than once. In fact, it's the only one to make it past three viewings (I'm really not a big movie fan).

Several friends and family rave on that movie and I've still never seen it. Sounds like a date movie, I'll just have to remember it. Could be awhile.

sigh

lol

Kappa Kid #844297 03/18/15 02:55 PM
Trap Timer
Online Happy
Trap Timer
A few classics that I don't believe have been mentioned:

Harvey
Arsenic and Old Lace
Tons of Hitchcock films, though it's hard to single out a favorite.

Cobalt Kid #844301 03/18/15 03:12 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Originally Posted by Cobalt Kid
... The Maltese Falcon, ... On the Waterfront.

Two that I see fairly often. I didn't see On the Waterfront growing up, despite having heard a lot about it. The Marlon Brando I knew of was the parody version in Alan Moore's DR & Quinch.

"Mind the Oranges Marlon!"

I think that's a good thing, because On the Waterfront packed more emotional punch than it would have done otherwise.

I've seen The Third Man a few time in the last few years too.

Eryk Davis Ester #844353 03/18/15 06:30 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Originally Posted by Eryk Davis Ester
A few classics that I don't believe have been mentioned:

Harvey
Arsenic and Old Lace
Tons of Hitchcock films, though it's hard to single out a favorite.
I forgot to mention that North by Northwest is a genuine contender for my favorite film as well!

As Eryk knows, since we're huge Hitch fans, I also love a ton of his other ones. A few that stand out: Rope, Strangers on a Train, Rear Window.

And speaking of Rope, which can be read as a play, it reminds me of another movie I adore: 12 Angry Men.

And... I told you guys I can't stop...when we start to talk about westerns, which has its own thread, there's Good, Bad & Ugly, Tombstone, the Searchers, Horse Soldiers and The Oxbow Incident.

Kappa Kid #844354 03/18/15 06:34 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Also, Lardy and BB mentioned Across the Universe earlier and it is hands down my favorite movie that I've rewatched in the last 3 years. No kidding: I've watched it 100+ times. It's my go to movie when it's 12:00 am on a Saturday, my wife is asleep and I'm enjoyably inebriated. I love it so much that to write about it will bring almost pain like feelings.

And I love Rent too. Seen the play 4 times and that can't be beat, but damn if they didn't do the movie so damn well that it comes pretty close.

Kappa Kid #844355 03/18/15 06:35 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Yup for Strangers on a Train. Then there's Double Indemnity.

I really like 12 Angry Men, but there's a parody of it from Hancock where the main character changes his mind at the end. I can't watch the movie without thinking of that.

Kappa Kid #844356 03/18/15 06:41 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Double Indemnity is great! It's another I own that makes the rotation when I go through a noir phase.

Another one I worship: Jaws. An incredible, incredible film that truly holds up. Seen it a minimum 50 times.

Kappa Kid #844358 03/18/15 06:58 PM
Humanoid from the Deep
OP Offline
Humanoid from the Deep
I'm a massive Spielberg fan so a lot of my favorite movies were made by him: Indiana Jones trilogy, Jaws, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, Jurassic Park, Catch Me if you Can

Fourth Indiana Jones movie? What Kingdom of the Crystal Skull? I have no idea what you're talking about and am bound to turn violent if you threaten my delusion

Last edited by Nostalgia Lad; 03/18/15 07:02 PM.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,021
Posts1,045,218
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star