Roll Call
0 members (), 28 Murran Spies, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Ann Hebistand - 05/04/24 12:22 PM
not just another Pantha's dismembered head thread...
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/04/24 11:54 AM
Who's Who in Raz's Legion? *added RED CROW 3 May*
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/04/24 02:31 AM
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/04/24 02:29 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/04/24 02:28 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/04/24 02:28 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/04/24 02:27 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/04/24 02:24 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 24 of 33 1 2 22 23 24 25 26 32 33
Re: Random Review Corner
Lard Lad #842894 03/12/15 05:26 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Periodical Plot Points Pondered!

Early for this week or late for last: The Choice is...Yours!

EGOs 5 Image
The issue does get slightly better, but it's a struggle. We have our annoying narrator who adds nothing; our hero who's a pain, and our hero's hero who is a murdering old man. Some champion.

The team that's actually on a mission is a little more interesting , although most of their pages are spent just making contact with someone. A bit wasteful, even if the final contact looks interesting and carries one of the local quirks. 3.5

Abe Sapien 20 Dark Horse
The plot does move on a little this issue, but most of it concerns a conversation between Abe and a child called Megan. She has a few childish sulks and observations about how this new world looks to a younger generation. But then she's a little too mature in seeing Abe really refer to his own issues. So a mixed result in a book that is quite slow paced. 3.5

Aquaman 38 DC
The events of last issue with Grodd are resolved in a couple of pages here, so that they don’t interrupt Aquaman's gateway quest to find his mother. Too many pages are taken up in battle with the last gate's guardians.

As visually interesting as they are, Aquaman never seems to be in the slightest bit of danger. For someone who perhaps hasn't read enough issues to appreciate the goal of Aquaman's quest, the full page cliff-hanger is a little anticlimactic really. 3.5

Phantom, The (King) 1 King
This story starts after some crossover event that I've not read. It tries not to dwell on it but there's the occasional reference that reminds the reader that this isn’t the start. Oh, and one major change that affects the entire book. Like the other Phantom book, there's only a low level sort of action here.

The Phantom goes up against the latest group of thugs threatening stability in the region. There's a nice bit about the costume from the man who is the modern equivalent of his sidekick and the two major plot threads come together nicely in the final page. The reporter in one of them is a bit too glib for her own good, though, considering her predicament. 3.5

Five Ghosts 15 Image
It's an Action Van Helsing issue as he faces off against our main character. There's a diversion to a certain castle for a report from a character who seems to have left the fight far too early. Still, it worked out for him in the end.

This was a very quick read at about 5 panels a page at best. These days, I prefer a little more for my pennies. This one slips towards being more worthwhile as a trade. 3.5

Mister X: Razed 1 Dark Horse
I enjoy the feel, look and design of retrofuturism. I enjoy it even more when it's the backdrop to a good story such as Electropolis, Terminal City and Mister X.

The story is a murder investigation by the determined reporter Rosetta Stone, a close acquaintance of Mister X. It seems a little clear where the plot is going, but there's a quick and sudden change that brings the tale to a conclusion.

Which is where I noticed that there's a second story. Except that the second story tells you much more about the cast of the first story and the endings are connected. It's well done, without being complicated.

It's the characters and their everyday lives that are the light in this winter's tale. Rosetta and her father, the robotic taxi driver, the temperance Santa and the store workers. Motter's art sets just the right tone for the city and the colouring is excellent. 5.75

Lazarus 15 Image
Much of the issue is taken up by single combat. But it's what all the recent issues have been leading up to. The repercussions of the fight should be lasting. I'm surprised that a certain character's action may go unpunished in the conflicts ahead. Loses some points for a seasoned Van Helsing being a bit thick in combat. 4.5

Invincible 117 Image
A quieter issue where two of the cast say their goodbye's We get the set up to events that will be going on in their absence and a glimpse to at least one battle that's out there waiting for them. There are some good, honest reactions from the supporting cast in this issue. Events that have led to global peace could just as easily be construed as tyranny, and there are many interpretations in between. 4.5

Gotham by Midnight 3 DC
This issues foe is taken out all too easily, but at least logically. It did manage a couple of creepy things before it went. The creatures look good thanks to Templesmith's art, but they don't have much staying power in the series. There are hints it's all building up to something though.

We also get more background into another of Corrigan's team and her (Canary-like) powers. Corrigan is generally rather smug throughout, except for a panel in the flashback. Even there, you think he's just faking it. The cast might have looked more interesting on paper than they are shown here. They're a bit too self satisfied about knowing more odd things than anyone else. 3.75

Rachel Rising 31 Abstract Studio
Alternately gruesome and funny in stages this issue, with a bit of premonition thrown in for good measure. While not a huge amount propels the plot forward, when it's gruesome it's icky and when it's funny it gets a chuckle. A touching moment between two characters is pretty sweet too. 4.5

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Lard Lad #844654 03/20/15 05:49 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Counter-Illness Comic Capsules fer Coughin' Cobie!

Outcast 2 Image
A hospital visit at the start gives us a bit too much exposition as a character bares their soul. But it picks up a bit from there. We don’t get much of a recap of the first issue, but follow the changes it's made to the main character. We see those changes reflected in others.

This is where the best parts of the book are. Those characters also change. They aren't stereotypes that will only feel one way towards anything. We see more sinister forces hinted at, but I'm left thinking that it's aimed for TV, and that this wouldn't be an episode where I was hooked. 4

Wild's End 5 Boom!
Although I've a sense that the periphery characters are far the more likely not to make it through the issues, you can never be quite sure here. Again, despite the events around them, this issue focuses firmly on the characters as they try to reach civilisation.

With an issue to go, this doesn't look as events are going to really escalate in time for the end. Which brings me back to bad things happening to our cast, or could we hope for a sequel? 4.5

Copperhead 4 Image
Our Sherriff is making an enemy of the big cheese in town. But when the Big Cheese makes a play to get her removed, things don’t go as planned in a funny exchange. A pretty good opening few pages. We get to see little snippets of the other cast members. The doctor, The Sherriff's son pulling her heartstrings with a cold goodbye and especially the deputy and his past. So, while the overall plot doesn't move forward much we get to find out more about the folks in it. 4.25

C.O.W.L. 1 Image
There's a pretty impressive opening sequence. All of the heroes survive conveniently, but the Sienkiewicz inspired art is nicely distracting. The premise here is that superheroes have got themselves unionised following WWII.

They seem to work as part of law enforcement and as a collective, rather than a loose fitting group of vigilantes. We get a good introduction to the backstabbing, infighting and pressures of their department here. There are already some unsavoury characters in there. A fairly immersive read that gives away it's story gradually across the issue. 4.75

Danger Club 1 Image
Teenage sidekicks inherit a world where their elders have gone on a mission to save the Universe and not returned. So obviously, the most powerful of them is setting himself up as a god. It's up to the Robin knock-off and his outfit to bring him down. We don't see much of society. On one hand a hero is late because he was having dinner with his parent. On the other stadia are in ruins. That seems a bit disjointed. It's a bit violent and that stands out all the more as the art is clean and easy on the eye.

Bratpack has to be the benchmark for anything with teen heroes in it. This has an edginess to it, and the brittle seriousness of some of the older Titans issues. Having their knock off Nick Fury with a cigar at 14 got it an un-PC chuckle. There's a comic cover throwaway that actually ties into the plot very well. 4

Death Vigil 1 Image
From folks that probably liked Nightwatch, we have a Reaper who can claim souls to make them part of her group; the Vigil. They look to protect mankind from the Necromancers, and the eldritch horrors they try to bring through. There are a couple of overly ponderous moments, but the book is saved by the humour.

The Vigil has been going for quite a while, and we see glimpses of some recent losses. Losses that are key to their enemies success. Everyone is a bit too perfect, but the colour effects help the art stand out. 3.75

Shutter 2 Image
Looking at the Amethyst cover with the mice made me wonder if I'd ever got issue 1. One rampaging mutant chicken, ghost ninjas and Gang Lions later and it all comes back. Our main character is being kidnapped by one, and sometimes more of these groups.

It seems to have something to do with her family, and may be connected to her father's demise (if he's really dead) from last issue. The main family connection comes with quite a shock. There was a touch of foreshadowing earlier to make it even more effective. Oh, and our main character's cat is a vintage treat. 4.5

Mind MGMT 28 Image
My lack of knowledge on what's going on is a plus in a book that prizes obscure mind altering espionage. I'll need opt go back and get some of the earlier issues. As per last issue, our heroine is extremely competent, able to get past hordes of enemies. But she does have trouble early on and there's a possible reliance on something she has with her. A big encounter is being staged for the next issue or two. Hopefully, I'll have read a few others before then. 4.25

They're Not Like Us 1 Image
I'm a dozen pages in and wondering why this is ever in my reads pile. Whiny, troubled teen is rescued by yet another tedious Constantine rip off who assaults nurses. But our protagonist is "special" and is taken from the hospital (still wheelchair bound in gown) across the city to meet a collection of people with similar abilities.

That's when it dawns on me. They're all supposed to have psychic powers and that's why I'm reading it. The whole group with the exception of Constantine are handily around the same age, all seem comfortable in their abilities. Those talents are pedestrian enough that the comic should come with a pair of walking boots. A superpowers group in smart clothes. Gosh!

The group are seemingly villains and the first act they want their new recruit to take is counter intuitive to the nature of the group's just stated goal, and loses all empathy with anyone in the building. Go read the first Espers trade for this concept done far, far better. 2.75

Winterworld 4 IDW
Cool cover, with a banal story description on the inside. That's sort of the problem. You could see the way the story was going a mile off. It's just that the setting is different, with slightly different threats in Killer Whales, freezing cold and polar bears. It's the art that's carrying the weight of this one. 3.5

Rai 1 Valiant
I've seen Valiant launches come and go down the years. Always with the same characters, always with the same results. But, apart from some '60s Doctor Solar comics, I don’t think I've ever read any. An ad took me to this one.

I imagine Rai was at it's most popular when the Japanese economy was more of an influence. Here, the central sword wielding enforcer is one of the least interesting things in the book.

That's because the art creates a busy, immersive future city. The writing provides the groups that work in the city and it's history. Some of those concepts are old school sci fi, when it was thought provoking and work just as well here.

Rai, who doesn't look to have been the first to hold that title, ends the issue with just the glimmer of some broader questions. The final page expands the book's scope nicely too. So, well worth a further look, particularly for the art. 4

B.P.R.D. 128 Dark Horse
I still don’t like Johann in charge really. He's just doing it because of the central character he is, rather than having any aptitude for it.

The only person who has an opinion is Enos, and that's just for comic effect (well, this issue he got a little darker). It makes everyone else fodder, which is how it usually turns out. In and around the critter fighting in a lovely scenic forest, it's an issue of a few touches. We get a little on how the monsters think and of a human shaped monster still trying to secure a release. Harren's art continues to improve the book. 4

Sixth Gun 46 Oni Press
Lots of last second saves for the main characters in this issue. It was tense at first though, before the pattern emerged. Events proceeded as apocalyptically as they should and the cast have even tougher challenges ahead. 4.5

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Lard Lad #845145 03/24/15 06:46 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Thoth, I've highly enjoyed Danger Club and think its been an awesome, high octane superhero series that also provides that little something extra so many DC and Marvel series lack. I started a thread in the Titans forum, thinking Titans fans might like it, but only ever got a few pity posts. They finally have released the last two issues to tie up this storyline!

I passed on a lot of others you review above, so it's interesting to see your thoughts.

thoth lad #845146 03/24/15 07:06 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Originally Posted by thoth lad
Random Reviews...Revealed!

Nameless 1 Image
Two brutal child murders in the opening two pages, and a choice swear word or two. Early indicators of a book that's trying too hard. The jump cut action dreams aren’t quite clever enough to heighten the reader's interest. Neither is the rather tired Moore-lite occult reference droppings. The most interesting thing by half way is the Quitely replacement art of Burnham. The book picks up in the last third, and we get a purpose for the series. Dream agent needed to help save the Earth from occult asteroid. So, there's a bit of cobbling from a few sources, but it's interesting enough to take a look next issue. 3.75

The first issue of Nameless read like a pastiche of Inception, while the second read like a mash-up of 2001 and Event Horizon. Not sure what Morrison is going for here, but it's been a little flat for me. Say what you will about Annihilator's pretentiousness, it's at least more original and is pushing ideas out there.

Lard Lad #845152 03/24/15 08:30 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Agree on Nameless--I found it boring and derivative. I'm going to pass on the rest and wait to see what the reviews say.

thoth lad #845156 03/24/15 11:03 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Counter-Illness Comic Capsules fer Coughin' Cobie!

Wild's End 5 Boom!
Although I've a sense that the periphery characters are far the more likely not to make it through the issues, you can never be quite sure here. Again, despite the events around them, this issue focuses firmly on the characters as they try to reach civilisation.

With an issue to go, this doesn't look as events are going to really escalate in time for the end. Which brings me back to bad things happening to our cast, or could we hope for a sequel? 4.5

Danger Club 1 Image
Teenage sidekicks inherit a world where their elders have gone on a mission to save the Universe and not returned. So obviously, the most powerful of them is setting himself up as a god. It's up to the Robin knock-off and his outfit to bring him down. We don't see much of society. On one hand a hero is late because he was having dinner with his parent. On the other stadia are in ruins. That seems a bit disjointed. It's a bit violent and that stands out all the more as the art is clean and easy on the eye.

Bratpack has to be the benchmark for anything with teen heroes in it. This has an edginess to it, and the brittle seriousness of some of the older Titans issues. Having their knock off Nick Fury with a cigar at 14 got it an un-PC chuckle. There's a comic cover throwaway that actually ties into the plot very well. 4

Mind MGMT 28 Image
My lack of knowledge on what's going on is a plus in a book that prizes obscure mind altering espionage. I'll need opt go back and get some of the earlier issues. As per last issue, our heroine is extremely competent, able to get past hordes of enemies. But she does have trouble early on and there's a possible reliance on something she has with her. A big encounter is being staged for the next issue or two. Hopefully, I'll have read a few others before then. 4.25

That's when it dawns on me. They're all supposed to have psychic powers and that's why I'm reading it. The whole group with the exception of Constantine are handily around the same age, all seem comfortable in their abilities. Those talents are pedestrian enough that the comic should come with a pair of walking boots. A superpowers group in smart clothes. Gosh!

The group are seemingly villains and the first act they want their new recruit to take is counter intuitive to the nature of the group's just stated goal, and loses all empathy with anyone in the building. Go read the first Espers trade for this concept done far, far better. 2.75

I thought for sure one character or two that have been ice'd in Wild's End were safe. They really weren't.

The Cat Lady CRACKS ME UP! So funny! (the bloodhoud and others are pretty funny too .. i'll leave it at that)

ok maybe not:

NO ONE TRUSTS THE FOX. bwahahahahahaha!

It's so nerdy and corny and wry. love it.

Danger Club has gone on a bit too long for me, I'd rather have the underdogs triumph in fisticuffs than this metaphysical trickery that has gone on in the latest issues. I'd rather have it be predictable than miss the mark completely. I really don't get what is happening now ...

Mind MGMT for me, is all about the very fleshed out supporting characters, her Scoobies really come to life and are emotional and even annoying but very rich in depth. I care way more about the mystery or consipacy than her solo journey.

Last edited by Power Boy; 03/24/15 11:08 AM.
Lard Lad #845222 03/24/15 07:25 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
I finished volume 1 of The Lil Depressed Boy, a cool little series by Image, which probably is probably best known for it's art being done by former Skybound / Walking Dead editor Sina Grace. It's a really great personal series that is heavy on style and heart while not being overly concerned with high stakes tension or epic action.

That sense of style though, is terrific. The titular character is forced to overcome is high anxiety and put himself "out there" in the first arc, and we see him reap the social and personal benefits of it...and of course then feel the inevitable let downs and heart break that always follows. I really enjoyed it.

This is akin to the great 30 minute "dramedies" on TV right now, and it's made more enjoyable but a lot of obscure pop culture and comic book references that a lot of people on LW might get but I have to assume 90% of everyone else missed entirely.

I'll probably be purchasing this one on the reg in TPB format.

Cobalt Kid #845364 03/25/15 03:17 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Originally Posted by Cobalt Kid
I've highly enjoyed Danger Club and think its been an awesome, high octane superhero series that also provides that little something extra so many DC and Marvel series lack.

I'm a bit behind because I did pick it up a while ago from the shelf. But although it looked interesting I put it back saying "over violent teen heroes. Meh!"

I started a thread in the Titans forum, thinking Titans fans might like it, but only ever got a few pity posts.

Ewww pity posts. Those are the worst. I'm glad I don't get... hang on, how would I know ... was that one...gah!

Originally Posted by Power Boy

I thought for sure one character or two that have been ice'd in Wild's End were safe. They really weren't.

Yeah, an early surprise or two there made me sit up.

The Cat Lady CRACKS ME UP! So funny!

Well rounded too. While you see a lot of witty, aloof pains in the rear - see The Countless Clones of Constantine - she's vulnerable, a little heart broken and more than a little bitter.

I care way more about the mystery or conspiracy than her solo journey.

Those are the bits I'm more interested in. But then, I don't really have a grasp of the characters yet smile

I finished volume 1 of The Lil Depressed Boy

Thanks for reminding me of this one. I picked up an issue last year I think and it was worth another look. But there's just so much out there jostling for attention.

Lard Lad #845648 03/27/15 06:13 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Paragraphs on Present Periodicals

E8ght 1 Dark Horse
A man on a mission through time. It has the amnesia of Twelve Monkeys, the mission of Time Cop and the feel of the 2000AD strip Universal Soldier. Our protagonist has struck a bargain. His part is to hunt someone down. But it's not someone from round his place or time. We're introduced to a few of the cast who look more like Mad Max cast offs than anyone living in the past.

It looks as though our hero is far from the only one who has been punted into this time. It's an OK introduction without really having any unique mysteries to capture the attention. 3.5

Epochalypse 1 Lengendary
I was told that I might like this one. An armoured guy with a ray gun on the cover didn't thrill me too much. But this one is all about the pacing. The whole issue is set around a country diner. It's shiny and new, but could be anywhere. A trucker arrives for a meal.

But the book then draws your attention to the wall calendar. It's not our calendar. Waifs try to rob the trucker, and something's odd about how wild they are. From there the anachronisms pile up and by the issue's end you know that there's something rather wrong with the world and it's timeline. The guy who might be our central character lost lots of empathy for his actions, but a second issue should be worth reading just to find out more about the world it's set in. 4.25

Groo Friends & Foes 2 Dark Horse
I like Groo, but I was worried that this would be a fairly placid series after the Groo/Conan mini. A chuckle in the second page meant that this was dim witted Groo at it's usual funny level. An there are plenty of chuckles as Groo is the ultimate straight man, causing mayhem by doing nothing. However, there's a very tired portrayal stereotype of Romani people here, that I could easily have done without reading. 3.5

Wild's End 6 Boom!
The final issue keeps everything contained in the area. If anything the ending was a bit low key. And that's what much of the series was. In the face of the alien, it was about people finding their own resolve, bravery and companionship. The last page was an eye opener, and I hope we get to see more of the cast. Soon would be nice. For anyone who hasn't read this one, the TPB will be a treat. 4.5

Secret Identities 1 Image
I picked this up because the verbose-in-battle team were fighting Alan Moore in the first scene. It supposed to be a slightly more mature look at the private lives behind the capes, without straying too far from the genre. A sort of Wolfman/ Perez Teen Titans with a higher age rating.

The thing is that generally it's a short step from that idea into making everyone sad Watchmen clones. There was a book a few years back that reminds me of this one, that had the heroes essentially cover for someone's abuse crimes. It probably wasn't what the writers intended in their desire to make things grim and gritty. But it completely sunk the book. Here, we have a speedster who uses his speed to be a bigamist. Their Shadow/Grendel hybrid is possibly a murderer, and certainly a kidnapper and so on. And these are the good guys in the face of a Terra subplot.

So, the jury's out on the book as it should be for most of the cast for their crimes. It's a writing team I've got time for (Faerber/Joines - I bought 7 Guys of Justice) , so we'll see just how much they manage not to sink themselves. Apart from the Moore foe, it's really an introduction to the cast issue. All have some interest, but one is a bit rocky literally and otherwise in a clunky scene. 3.5

Silver Surfer 9 Marvel My first Surfer book of any volume. It's like Madman with a sense of purpose. I'm glad that the female lead was as disgusted with the Surfer's actions as I was. What a creep he is. I always wondered why he wasn't saddled with a huge sense of guilt.

The alien culture seems a little messy, but the inside cover at least tells me why. I'm a little disappointed that the Big Guy turns up in the first issue I read. Hopefully there's more to the book than that. The issue is at it's best when it's kooky and the Surfer's idea to get the attention of his old boss is fun (if bad for tides below).

The central relationship is covered in broad melodramatic strokes here as events overtake the couple. That was always a strength of Madman, so I except it'll be the same here. 3.75

Southern B@stards 7 Image
Well, it's not just the last page that sticks in my mind. It's the relentless kick in the teeth on the way there. Thankfully, the story and cast are strong enough to stand the racism in one of the characters. It doesn't go unconfronted. The central character is seemingly doomed but there's one way out for him. In any other book that gritty down on your luck determination would be the making of a hero. Here? 5.5

Aquaman 38 DC
Arthur's family reunion gets off to a rocky and clunky start. It's the old cliché of too much conversation and exposition in the midst of battle. The realisation that one side will fight on regardless of truth is a good moment, as are the more subtle hints of purple eyes and ancient lineage. We see more versions of the rocky defenders of an issue ago as generic critter fodder. 3.25

Nightbreed 10 Boom!
Picked up since we have a Horror thread on the go. The nightbreed are mainly static here, waiting for events to happen. Which is much as I remember them. It's really about Boone and whatever happens to be hunting him.

I'm not familiar with this villain, but he has a convenient army of critters and a school bus. He also has no problem in locating the rest of the cast which is always handy. The battle is clunky and a little silly in the middle of a daylit street. Not much of that elusive quality that made parts of Nightbreed interesting. But then, the film was just the same. 2.75

Lard Lad #846668 04/03/15 10:27 AM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Chew 46 Image
It takes a little while to get going, since South Park showed me this version of hell already. But once it starts, there's plenty of character driven twists - mainly involving the remains of something form last issue. Chu seems a bit more badass this issue, but that doesn't really help against the sugary war machines. 4.5

Black Hood 1 Black Circle
It's just been about long enough to forget the last Archie take on their super heroes. So, it must be time for another go in a market swamped with various creations dragged screaming from the fictional dead.

The muted sombre tone is the first thing I noticed about this one, followed by a grimace at what seemed to be an attempt to milk the idea of school shootings. The incident that gets the story moving was mundane, but involved what will be our protagonist's predecessor. I thought it did the guy a disservice really, and I hope the story goes back to him. The rest of the issue is something much better. We clearly have a guy with flaws. He's not quite too far gone to turn back and that's the decision he's left with at the end of the issue. He has a solid background for his role as the Hood.

While I don't agree with the suggestion that he should feel the need to hide under the hood, the story certainly builds up to that moment. Looking forward to seeing more of the speech therapist. 3.75

Copperhead 5 Image
This is the last issue in the opening arc, and there's an impressive number of little ends closed off as the main cast is established. Everyone gets their moment. Which is worth pointing out since so many books have their pet favourite characters to the exclusion of everything else.

We have plenty of strong personalities to take the book forward, and there's another funny exchange this issue to put a smile on your face. A pleasant, easy read for someone looking for a Trade to read. 4.5

B.P.R.D. 129 Dark Horse
Another issue, another yucky creature put out of it's misery. But that only takes up the first part of the book. In the rest, we get to see a fair number of the cast interacting back at base. It's one thing having new character show their stuff out in the field, but another to see how they fit with everyone else. We also see more of the Black Flame.

There's certainly some movement in the meta plot following this issue. But it would seem as though we had just been sitting around waiting for the Flame to get it moving. Nothing really led into the event, even if he has made the odd recent appearance. Still not seeing Johann as the brave field leader. Fitting art gets the book some extra points. 4.5

Danger Club 2 Image
An improvement over the decent first issue. I've no idea why it's felt that superheroes hold the world together and that normal police and army are useless. Hopefully, we'll learn more about what's been going on. It just seems that society fell apart without spandex after three months.

We get some insights into a couple of the main characters here. There's a good contrast between the all action Mega-Robot combat of one and the basement introspection of another. They think that the threat that wiped out their JLA/ Avengers equivalent is still out there. 4.25

Astro City 21 Image
Sadness is the feeling at the end of this one. The feeling that's something just passed me by. We didn’t get to see too much of the central characters in this story, but their ageing in this storyline shows that the first flush of Astro City is waiting to be replaced with something else. Perhaps something better. There's a hint that at least one character is thinking of changing the way things work in the genre.

The story itself has plenty of closure, picking up previous threads and reversing the roles along the way. The characters were true throughout and thee were some interesting looks at plot clichés that may not always turn out the way they were intended to. The art was a bit rougher this time out, that did lower that side of things amore than just a little. 4.75

HellBoy & BPRD 1952 4 Dark Horse
A bit of a combination of other Hellboy comics here. We have Nazis, brains and people in jars, eerie elder things behind the scenes and a flashback to Hellboy's origins. Oh and gorillas too. The familiar villain is so mad, that not even his own side want much to do with him. 4.5

Stray Bullets: Sunshine & Roses 2 El Capitan
A captivating, if unsettling read as Orson really gets out of his depth. The characterisation is so strong that one persons cameo late in the book has you really worry for our two leads. I still feel badly for that poor kid and where he's had to grow up though. 5.75

Sixth Gun 47 Oni Press
Following the events of the last arc, the world is falling apart. Having read through years of the desolate BPRD, this has some of the same feel just with a wider, and more interesting cast. Things are set to escalate further though as our protagonists go in search of the cause of this destruction. 4.25

Walking Dead, The 138 Image
I don’t think I guessed where any of the main plot threads were going correctly in that issue. Obviously, there was only one way Carl was going, but up until then it was a pleasant surprise (well for the reader, if not one or two of the cast) 5.25

EGOs 6 Image
A better issue, with a couple of heart pulling moments for another culture abandoned once war moves on to richer pastures. There's a bit more on who the EGOs are up against. They are a nebulous lot, which puts the EGOs centrally between them and the all action hero of the central male character. 4.25

Lard Lad #847704 04/10/15 02:49 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
As I wrapped up Miracleman, another thing I read earlier this week was the complete BoJeffries Saga by Alan Moore and Steve Parkhouse, which is collected really nicely by Top Shelf which includes an additional new story that updates the BoJeffries family in modern times.

The BoJeffries Saga is true farce, with Moore and Parkhouse flexing their comedic muscles throughout. Usually, I tend not to enjoy these kind of stories. For instance, I loathe the Simpsons television show, which I have always hated--one of the few things in pop culture I can honestly apply the "hate" word. It takes quite a bit for me to warm up to anything purely comedy-driven that is so trashy and ridiculous. So, as usual, it says a lot about the genius of Alan Moore that I eventually ended up just loving this whole thing.

Perhaps more than any other genre, comedy / humor has so many different forms and styles, and it all stems from the creators. It's hard to explain exactly what kind of sense of humor Alan Moore has, only that its incredibly appealing. It's incredulous, nasty, biting, whimsical, played straight, played over the top and almost always full of charm. All of that comes through here, and you can see Moore really enjoyed himself here.

Steve Parkhouse, a favorite of mine, provides the art. I've really fallen in love with Parkhouse's style on Resident Alien, the best little series of miniseries no one talks about. His art works seamlessly with Moore's story and words here, and is equally hilarious and energetic.

The cast is full of oddballs, some more enjoyable than others. Raoul, the werewolf uncle, is my favorite. I found myself repeatedly laughing at the gag in the final story where he pretends that he's a down on her luck Merryl Streep and the producers of Big Brother buy it hook, line and sinker. I also like the grandfather, intent on destroying all of humanity. The rent-collector of the first three stories is equally hilarious. And as Moore intends, I find the father & son to be boring and annoying.

Moore has proven he's funny many times over, and his wicked sense of humor is apparent in so much of his work, especially his short sci-fi stories, like the back-ups stories in Omega Men where the final few panels are a "wow, that's fucked up!" moment of laughter.

I'm really glad I got this. It was a ton of fun and I read it in a day. Like so much of his work, it's totally different than anything else he or anyone else has ever done, yet you totally know it's Alan Moore.

Lard Lad #847742 04/10/15 08:15 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
I've only read bits of BoJeffires probably back when it was in A1. So, it's never one I've got into as it's part of an anthology book. Mind you, it did stand out quality wise.

I'll need to look out for the collected edition. I could do with looking more towards TPBs generally.

Oh, DR & Quinch if you want more Moore hilarious sci-fi, and you've not read it. Alan Davis art for a thread crossover too!

Lard Lad #848668 04/19/15 11:46 AM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Underwater Welder - Top Shelf - TPB

If I were to summarise the book, then it would come out looking pretty good. The desperate, yet seemingly fated, action in the opening page; The haunted seaside towns where our dreams go to die in isolation; the opening scenes of the relationship between the central character and his wife.

It starts well and builds nicely through to the incident that forms the main part of the story. The character’s initial reaction to that incident is possibly my favourite part of the book. Unfortunately, when the character unravels, the book itself unravels a little too.

I pretty much gave up on Vertigo books because they had an interchangeable central character. White, nearly always male and with arrested maturity/ parent problems that seemed huge to them but that billions of other people on the planet dealt with every day.

This is much like a more limited series version of those books, and from Top Shelf. That finite nature of a TPB actually helps the central themes of crushing time, pressure and enclosure. It’s a shame that the wife‘s pregnancy reduces her to a bit of a cliché with a countdown clock though.

The “twilight zone” part of the book in the last couple of chapters seemed a little needless and overstretched. There had been enough build up to slips of time and consciousness from the original incident onwards. So, a prolonged version of it towards the end dragged a little.

So, a very promising opening, some standard vertigo maturity issues but with better layouts and an overextended finish. After which, the wife presumably divorces/ leaves him for his not being around when she really needed him.

Lard Lad #849134 04/24/15 04:06 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Chew 47 Image
A riveting issue from first to last panel. Twists, turns, lots of subtle laughs, fear, tension and top detective work. Still in shock over last issue, but it stilldoesn’t seem to be an imaginary story. 6

Walking Dead, The 139 Image
A big issue, softly done with a change of scenery thrown in for good measure. The unexpected turn (well, I thought so) last issue kept on going that way. It keeps Carl around, but it's strong writing. I was actually a little disappointed with the exposition from one character this time. Everyone in their world has suffered loss. But them people react differently and some wounds take longer to heal if they ever do. 5

Powers: The Bureau 2 Marvel
The case the characters are working on is interesting enough. The world they operate in is just removed enough form standard capes that it's not bad either. But the characters are a bit of a let down. Everyone acts like every other character in every other bendis book I've read in years. New readers may really like this though. Oeming's art seems to be a little different here, or perhaps I'm just noticing the huge heads and odd eyes. 3.75

Chrononauts 1 Image
An idea from 2000ad, mixed with a Stephen Baxter concept and with Timecop on in the background. The result isn’t as good as any of them. It also looks suspiciously like a rejected Challengers of the Unknown pitch.

Our first of two Chrononauts are the workaholic with a conscience and a direct line to his ex-wife to provide clichéd soap opera. Our second is an utter liability whose reckless Tony Stark-lite attitude makes him an utter pain to read. I can't seriously imagine anyone having him anywhere near the operational side of such a project. There's a couple of time travel nods in here, but that's about as good as it gets. 3

Frankenstein Underground 1 Dark Horse
Another super strong, highly resistant character takes a bow in the Hellboy universe. We get some reappearances from some familiar Hellboy/BPRD villains mixed in with the traditional Frankenstein history. The central characters reasons for wanting isolation were better in the book than they are here. 3.5

Giant Days 1 Boom!
Uh oh. Three female stereotypes starting at uni. The naïve one, the goth one and the common sense one. The first page comes right out with these little capsules. The second page is a flashback of whatever this to got up to before. It's not a good start. But then there's a touch of humour and a couple of small lurches later it's quite engaging. The main plot is whimsical and there's enough relationship moments to keep it a little grounded too. In the end a relaxing read and good to see some ASMR attention. 4

Invisible Republic 1 Image
With so many good titles from Image at present, it means that I'm much more likely to take a look at any first issues coming out. This one looked a little similar to a few other sci fi comics I've seen recently, so I almost didn’t get it. But having read it, it's much more interesting.

A regime has fallen on a colony moon. The locals are suffering form the economic collapse. A chance find by one of the journalists covering the collapse unearths some secrets behind the regime. We see that side of the tale in flashback. The hand to mouth survival there comes across in the desperation of the characters and the soldiers they encounter. 3.75

Groo Friends & Foes 3 Dark Horse
What could be worse than one Groo? Well…Arba and Dacarba ry to rid themselves o Groo but things don’t go to plan. Lots of fun and I got a big smile from the Rufferto strip on the back cover. 4.5

Red 1 1 Image
Okay, there's some cheesecake in this one. Actually, there's the Dodson cover. But the first few scenes didn’t, offering an interesting story about morality and punishment in the US. The states have a vigilante going around "punishing" people on moral grounds. A pretty logical extension of the outraged mob mentality we have. Where it takes a different turn, is that it's the USSR who want to make sure that this right wing moral mob don't get any more power. So they send across one of their agents to act as a counterpoint. Our heroine.

So, there's some interesting ideas in this one. But after the set up, there's a few too many cheesecake opportunities. It's supposed to be light hearted, but there's only so many drooling men, clunky misogyny and in-jokes about too tight costumes that I can be bothered with in my reading life. I think I passed that point any number of years ago.

Of course, the film set our heroine would end up in would be an adult one. Of course she would use her figure to get further. Of course she'd hook up with someone on the flight. From an initially interesting character, it's only the comedy in the cultural differences that set her apart form being a perfect Mary Sue by the end. 4.25

Secret Identities 2 Image
This issue steps back from all of our characters have dark secrets. It chooses to have a few minor villains around which there's some Teen Titans exposition and character building. It's no Wolfman/ Perez Titans but there's a decent amount of information provided. There are some lighter links to last issue and the subplot of their Terra-esque new member continues. 4

Spread 6 Image
This looks to be the climactic issue of the first arc. Basically, it's a massive fight scene between our protagonists, who want to save a special baby, and mutated people and their Nightbreed villain master. There's a wildcard villain in there too who also wants the child. There are also giant tentacled beasties around. There's lots of gore and a few decent bits of choreography to build tension. There's not so much a twist as a plot progression at the end which should please regular readers. 3.5

Lard Lad #849624 05/01/15 02:13 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Strange Sports Stories 1 Vertigo
I only peeked at this one in the store. So, the reviews brief because, other than a slightly left field Hernandez story, you're better picking up any issue of 2000AD for brutal future sports. There's a decent relationship in the last story, but the world around that doesn't quite work. 3.25

The Fly: Outbreak 1 IDW
A young Eric Stoltz seems to have been cast for the role of Brundel. This also seems to be a follow up from another series, or something I've not seen. Brundel is trying to fix someone who has been transformed. It's not going well.

In the strongest part of the issue, his relationship isn't going well either. His fear of contamination deeply affects how close he can get physically, and therefore emotionally. There's a giant clunk moment when Brundel realises he's essentially turned a dial the wrong way in his key experiment. What happens next leaves everyone in quarantine next issue. Possibly more critters will break out then.

The pacing is steady in the issue, and doesn't allow itself to get carried away with effects or carnage. 3.5

Danger Club 3 Image
An issue that takes the strands from the first two and gives them a nice twist. It's always a good sign when you want to see more of the characters who appear all too briefly in a mini series. There are death traps within death traps this issue.

More is revealed about the fate of the heroes and villains to an unfortunate victim. Our Robin stand in seems very sure of things. Almost as much as the foe he's about to face. 4.5

Danger Club 4 Image
Things go a bit South for the main team, as things are prepared for the big finale. Alt+Robin's master plan has been working away in the background, so you know that the solution won’t appear form absolutely nowhere. There's the usual ultra violence this issue too. 4.5

Danger Club 5 Image
One of the many disbeliefs to be suspended in comics, is how the main characters manage to get through the number of fights they manage. There's no lasting fatigue and the recovery rate from injuries that would cripple others is astounding. It's something that's even more obvious the more violent the comic is.

The sidekicks' benchmark Bratpack had a way of showing this to extremes, but also provided a simple, logical explanation for it. Here, our small band of heroes go through some ordeals. The injuries pile upon injuries but they still struggle on, managing to push that plot forward. Not that it's a bad plot, or a bad issue.

But that disbelief shakes on the high wire more than a little, when you see that everything will work out. The blood and violence just make it clearer, rather than hiding it as they would in more mundane hero titles. 4.25

Abe Sapien 21 Dark Horse
Things don’t go to plan for the villain of the arc. The work put into this community pays off as they all have to pull together to fight the unleashed threat. A fight that Abe spends a lot of the issue in, making it a fairly quick read. The villain appears at the end for a lead into what could be the finale next issue. 4

Big Man Plans 1 Dark Horse
Not one for everyone. But I've always enjoyed seeing a bit of karmic justice paid out to certain characters. The central character is absolutely determined, and we are left in no doubt as to why, when we read how hard his past has been. 4.5

Cluster 2 Boom
There's a hint of manipulation of the prisoner behind the scenes. It doesn’t do the warden any favours as the main character is considered dead from last issue. The main cast try to get back to base before their explosive bands kill them. Imagine the suicide squad trapped behind lines. It was an issue we never really got to see. Well, there was Slipknot.

In this issue, the cast get to meet another culture on the prison planet and some people who could be escapees, ex cops and locals fighting together. It's a busy place for a prison planet and the lushness of this new location jars with the bleakness of last issue. At the issue's end there's a decent segue into a little more of the main characters crime. I was glad the earlier exposition in the issue was cut short by the writer. 3.5

EGOs 7 Image
The writer, knowing all about the plot, is probably thinking that everything here will lead into the reveal of who the EGO's enemy is. And there are hints here. But mainly, the entire issue is spent watching the characters wander around, collecting a few stories form not very captivating characters.

The first local contact has become only slightly less annoying than the narrator who pops up every now and again. I'm not sure if I'm picking the book up as some sort of Legion wannabe or if it's just the art. Last issue seems to have been a blip. 3.25

E8ght 2 Dark Horse
Our main character learns a little more about the history of some of the characters in the meld. Our bad guys want to use the main character's technology to expand their rule beyond the meld. But they have to find him first. Unfortunately, the leaders of the people our hero is with are only too willing to trade.

Our female lead is a bit more rebellious than that, so there's going to be some conflict later on there. The man our hero has been sent to find recovers form his own journey and, with another survivor, finds that he's really lost. There's a bit of a higher power last panel that doesn't really work as a cliff hanger. This is one that will probably work a bit better as a trade. There's not quite enough for it to work as single issues. 3.5

thoth lad #849625 05/01/15 02:28 PM
Humanoid from the Deep
Humanoid from the Deep

The Fly: Outbreak 1 IDW
A young Eric Stoltz seems to have been cast for the role of Brundel. This also seems to be a follow up from another series, or something I've not seen. Brundel is trying to fix someone who has been transformed. It's not going well.

In the strongest part of the issue, his relationship isn't going well either. His fear of contamination deeply affects how close he can get physically, and therefore emotionally. There's a giant clunk moment when Brundel realises he's essentially turned a dial the wrong way in his key experiment. What happens next leaves everyone in quarantine next issue. Possibly more critters will break out then.

The pacing is steady in the issue, and doesn't allow itself to get carried away with effects or carnage. 3.5

It's a follow up to the underrated sequel to the original Cronenberg classic. If you haven't seen the sequel thoth, you should definitely check it out! nod

Keep up with what I've been watching lately!

"Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? Our nation turns its lonely eyes to you."
Lard Lad #849635 05/01/15 05:16 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
It's not ringing any bells. I'd look it up, but I don't want to spoil it. smile Was it Eric Stoltz that was in it? It seems to close to be anyone else.

Lard Lad #850278 05/09/15 10:39 AM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Walking Dead, The 140 Image
We cover a fair amount of subplots in this issue. There's less action but plenty of decisions to be made. Different leaders have to make different choices. Another character has a choice to make at the end. I can’t believe they don’t test the door after locking it though. 4.75

Astro City
Vertigo Back in the '80s Hal Jordan couldn’t decide whether or not he wanted to be a green lantern. The indecisiveness would continue with the character for quite a while, diluting the character.

While there's a nod to Marvel space characters here, it's nice to see how someone's life can progress past the point where they are needed to fight on the front lines. Like the previous arc it's looking back across someone's career. While it's nostalgic, there's also the promise of some new faces and a big threat ahead, should we get to see them again. 4.75

Convergence - Superboy & the Legion of Superheroes 1 DC
I don't mind the premise (mainly because I've not already read it in all the other Convergence titles). The Legion stuck in Metropolis without their powers.

Why it has to be for so long seems a pointless mystery. We don't really get a feel for the disintegration such an event would cause. It's just a premise for the cities to travel to the Alt+Beyonder. Because, although capturing cities form different universes and carting them off through space is fine, teleporting them there would be silly.

We don't even get a surface level look at nearly any of the characters. Those that are focused on, such as Ayla and Clark, don't seem anything like themselves. So it's a blessing that more of the team aren't focused on.

Thanks for probably wrecking that budding Ayla/Vi relationship DC! >mutter<

Brainiac's part was mixed. Everyone writes him as an obsessed, egocentric scientist now, so few points there. Even the part where he's trying to spare people the grief before he has hard facts falls flat, because he's keeping the information from his own teammates in the middle of a crisis.

Nothing really happens in the issue. We get a quick set up, Brainiac getting a hint, and then they land on Alt+Battleworld. That's it.

I've been getting used to the art over on EGOs. But this is so much worse. Was it drawn ages ago? Was it a rush job? or both? It's not likely to win many supporters, I'm afraid. It's never a good thing when they *have* to wear the costumes so you can identify them.

It would seem that the whole thing is going to descend into an Arena type thing. I'm only getting the next Legion issue, and then I should be done with this. It was rubbish when Marvel did it, and this looks to be no better.

Rating - 3 (less if I were to actually bring any Legion knowledge into things)

Abe Sapien 22 Dark Horse
It's a bit of a finale this issue, as the forces influencing the town meet in a brutal battle. In the middle of it is Abe. He may be losing his humanity by degrees, or perhaps simply becoming what was inside him since being found. 3.75

Big Man Plans 2 Dark Horse
I was expecting slow brutal revenge. And there is. But it doesn’t go at all to plan. But, then it looks like it will after all. Only it's worse than before. While it's pretty violent a la various mafia film killings, there's a flashback that makes you want the central character to always win. 4.25

Copperhead 6 Image
It's a slower issue as we meet a few more of the town's residents on a Friday night. I'm a little surprised there weren't more new faces, but the writer chose to develop each scene more fully. Poor Boo gets about as much his own way at home as he does at work. Our resident big cheese is a slimy as usual. There's a Judge Dredd Cursed Earth feel to the problems that could be coming in the next couple of months. 4

Deep State 5 Boom!
This one has a standard TV duo of mainstream fed and eccentric partner. The partner in this case was part of something called Control. This issue has the two investigate a very special weapon that used to be in control's hands. The plot moves along the numbers, with a big tech reveal to take us to the closing scene. There, we're given a plot that used to be in Planetary. It's an OK read, but shows it's sources a bit too close to the surface. 3.5

Legacy of Luthor Strode 1 Image
I vaguely remember reading the start of the last Luthor Strode title. I remember pretty much nothing about it. This is clearly a manga meets matrix attempt while culling freely from the Nazz and the origin bits of one of the characters in Powers. Lots and lots of action in this issue. But then, it's double sized so it can fit them in and keep the odd panel of plot. Normal humans are pretty much props in this disaster-fest and there's not a lot to engage you with the characters. 3.5

B.P.R.D. 130 Dark Horse
The field operatives have finally had enough of Krauss. While it's something of a relief to have It addressed, I'm mystified why he was ever in charge of anything in the first place. If this is something that been built up to, it's on a pretty unconvincing foundation. It's not that he's written inconsistently. He's his whiny, self absorbed self for the rest of the issue. He could be about to try and do something rash to prove himself at the end.

Hopefully it will fail. Not because I don't like the character, but because success would lend support to the way he deals with others. Not much else happens this issue, but it ticks along quite nicely as we see other characters interact with Krauss. 4

Convergence - Justice league of America 1 DC
Considering my fan plots thing in Bits, there was no way I could pass this one up. This one starts as the dome has come down. That gives us so much space. I wonder how many other books plod through the Big Plot Points DC provided them with instead.

There's that good mix of happy domestic Dibnys followed by Ralph's worry about being a superhero. It's a good start. We get a little nod to what the team have been up to. Ralph works with investigations while Vibe whines for most of the year. It's odd that Steel is incapacitated. He's technology based, and that all seems to have worked through the year. Gypsy's relationship with J'Onn is evident. She's shown as having the eye make up from her DC Sampler appearance, rather than the book which is interesting to see.

Although the captions remind us that this wasn't the most powerful of leagues, none of the members are short changed. Although Zatanna makes a dumb move. She does live in a world with Joker after all, and she knew an attack was imminent. That loses the book some points for forced plotting, but it shows the Detroit League in a respectful light. It's actually better than the rather bitter return that Conway gave us a few years ago. 3.5

Lard Lad #851107 05/16/15 09:04 AM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Red 1 2 Image
I'm not too keen on seeing people victimised, even if it's to allow the central character to protect them and point out hypocrisy. I'm surprised to find out that our top agent can’t fry an egg. Perhaps she just had them raw out in the field, but you'd have thought it would be one of those basic skills.

Thinking that way gets in the way of much of the comedy this issue. Our main character is still following orders, but she's clearly moved by some of the things she's seen. So, there will be tough choices ahead. There's enough of a supporting cast to make the consequences of those choices meaningful.

The book is now on hold until next year. Two issues is now a book, with the team saying that their page/panel count is worth multiples of the big 2 books. As there's no resolution to the main conflict in these first two issues, there's no sense that a complete story or arc has been told. The actions from the main character's employer were good though. 3.75

Frankenstein Underground 2 Dark Horse
Dragged through hidden worlds, this could really have been Hellboy again. Likewise, when the title character is shunned as a demon. Nice art makes it interesting to look at, it has an eerie atmosphere and the creature feels believably cursed. 3.5

Star Wars 3 Marvel
I was worried that there was going to be too many Imperial toys getting in the way of the story. But it turned out not to be the case. There's action, but it's the character moments that drive the book. The one liners are in character as are Luke's self doubts, Leia's courage (and royalty) and Vadar's villainy and power. 5

Black Hood 3 Dark Circle
There are a few moments where the Hood appears at just the right moment to foil a crime. It's normal in a comic, but this one has tried to set itself as a bit more realistic so it stands out more. There's still empathy for the cast, and the writer shows the strength that the main character has, just to get through. He is going to need a new hood though. You can see enough of his wounds through it, and it's never looked to be the sturdiest of things to protect his identity. 3.75

Chew 48 Image
Funny cybernetics, kick ass Jellassassins and a nice relationship continuing between Colby and Applebee. There's an excellent one panel flash forward, something I'm not normally a fan of. Our missing agent subplot continues too. *Surely* he'll be back? 5.25

Sirens 3 Boom!
There were moments in the last two issues where the book veered towards character overload. This was particularly evident as the incident everyone was involved in progressed so slowly as more details were crammed in around them.

I had expected things to click together a little more this issue. But, it goes the other way instead. Three pages in and... switch.... Nine pages in and there's another switch. The first jarred to the point of me losing my place with the story, as I was expecting the main plot to continue. The second one is such a massive change that I just let go to see where it all led.

There are more changes to come, linking in characters from issue 1 and providing hints to a deeper plot that may have been there all along. It's certainly ominous looking for the Sirens.

A, probably unfair to Perez, analogy to a previous Perez book would be Crisis. We have multiple alternate selves and worlds. Many may be layered fictions of others. Time is also fluid, providing glimpses to develop characters and more worlds. But where Crisis often painfully added this sort of sub-plot into the story, Sirens embraces and runs off with it. There's no easily contained time warps or named Earth-1s and Earth-2s. Comparing the scope of this with other wrtiers: A Morrison book would have stopped to admire itself back in the first issue, Hickman would have abandoned the characters to the weird science and a Moore book capturing this era would have been lost under ponderous ubermensch. Perez seems to be too busy for all that.

He's been around long enough to know what he's doing, and it's refreshing to be taken in different directions by a plot that reveals itself as the book progresses. I'm along for the ride just to see if it settles down or if there are even more twists and turns to come. Extra points for the scope and the (mostly) Perez art. That was another surprise. 5.5

Invincible 118 Image
A new world, great alien relationship with Kid Omni Man, intimate revelations, toilet humour (literally) and a left field final page. Yikes! There's no fighting in this one (except in the recap of the series so far - handy jumping on point this issue actually), but there's lots going on. 5.5

Lazarus 16 Image
One of my first looks into the world around the main families, and it's a bit of a grim place. Cold and fearful with a clear gap between the families and everyone else. It's a holding issue ahead of the next arc, but it's interesting and the varied formats of the information presented make it a longer read than most. 4

Stray Bullets: Sunshine & Roses 3 El Capitan
Beth needs cash very quickly and she and Orson come up with a plan. Well, several plans with varying degrees of success. Considering a certain motif they use, and where it came form, this can only end very badly. It's madness that these two are together. But that's love for you. 5.75

Mister X: Razed 2 Dark Horse
A missing building, architectural mystery in neo-pulp surroundings with an election campaign going on too. While the setting is great, it's the look into the lives of Mercedes and Rosetta that are the high points. Like the first issue, the second story in the issue is connected to the first. This one has an Electropolis/ Mister X crossover. 5.5

Lard Lad #851804 05/22/15 03:56 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Danger Club 6 Image
Crumbs! That went all Crisis this issue, including white outs. The villain was linked into something bigger but there was an inevitability to the good guy winning out. Neither level of villain offered much in the way of a threat. Still, the broadening of the comic's scope was an interesting switch. It links up all those little introduction pages nicely too. 4.25

Secret Identities 3 Image
The whole team turns up to investigate a crime scene. They are also very heavy handed in approaching a source of information. A source that provides them with the ready made solution to take down the issue's villain (a sort of Dr Phosphorous meets Solomon Grundy but with a sillier name) after being accused of complicity in a murder. Pretty nice of him considering.

The team are varied enough to keep things interesting and the terra plot of their new member continues, leaving us with a melodramatic villain gesture at the end. 3.5

Sabrina, Chilling Adventures of 2 Archie
This issue mainly focuses on someone who looks very likely to become Sabrina's main foe in the book. She's a vengeful Lilith character to Sabrina's mother as Eve. The woman Sabrina's father dumped to be with a mortal woman. The lasting changes to at least a couple of the cast made me check to see if this was a four part series.

The writer certainly doesn't mind pushing things forward. With the loss of some panel space, the main cast don't shine quite as much as they did in the first issue. But there are a few chillingly familiar moments and another where the writer pays homage to a certain Miracleman issue. Possibly the best moments are the little glimpses of Sabrina's life at school. The cliff-hanger makes those moments of near normalcy seem precious considering what may lie ahead. 5

Aquila 1 Rebellion
This is from the publishers of 2000AD. So, it's full of violence, gore and death. It's very much like Slaine. It has a nigh unstoppable central character with mystical abilities accompanied by a humorous, short side kick.

Our main character should have died as one of Spartacus' troops. But he is saved by a god that demands the death of the wicked in return. The first issue takes him through his service to Rome and into the hands of Boudica. There, he learns that he may not be the only disciple of his god. Lots of blood and guts, a pointless cheesecake shot, and a plot that moves with some determination to the final conflict of the issue. 3.75

Star Wars 4 Marvel
The book keeps things focused by centering mainly on Tattoine. It also has the luxury of plundering characters from films beyond the first, something that the original run had to wait to do. So we see a certain crime lord and a certain bounty hunter in this issue. Luke is also returning there, so it should make for an exciting story arc ahead.

There was one bit of foreshadowing that I know was a nice nod, but that I felt was out of place considering when the issue was supposed to be set. There's not much backstory in the tight writing, but events are strong enough to stand for themselves, despite the sci-fi setting. 4.75

Invincible 119 Image
Things go sour quickly between Mark and his half brother's girlfriend. Tense child issues, funny food subplot, alien culture and a well paced possible occupation offer for Mark. Well, up until the last page which made it seem sudden. Not that Allen wasn't looking for the first possibility probably. 5

Resident Alien 0 Dark Horse
An alien probe has crashed. The alien sent to destroy it also seems to have got stuck on the planet. So, he uses his Martian manhunter-lite powers to settle in among the humans until a rescue party arrives. Having manipulated a Vegas machine to get rich, he repays all the money he initially stole to survive. He then moves to Patience to become the resident doctor there.

It's a relaxing read with nice, scenic art. There's a government agency that's trying to track our main character. But they've been alerted as much by the robberies as any flying saucers. 3.75

Rachel Rising 32 Abstract Studio
There's a slow start to this issue, but it shakes off hints of pretension with a late inciting moment towards the last third. It's something the book gets away with through psychometric flashbacks, leading to a solid ending. 4.25

Baltimore:Cult of the Red King 1 Dark Horse
There's an ominous, eye catching cover to this one. The story has unsettling swells much like the sea half of the cast are travelling across. There are two main plot threads through the book, dividing the action. That's probably a good thing.

We get a potted history of the title character as he mopes in self pity aboard the ship. The other half of the cast find a secret (but massive) library that I'm sure I've seen in a few other books. Rather than go through them, the librarian handily has the information they need. The art makes the plot look a little more interesting than it is. 3.5

Danger Club 7 Image
As soon as anyone steps outside time and space, they're fodder for corruption at the tentacles of some elder space god. This is a What If? Captain America went bad and read Crisis often enough to make it a reality. It's a variation of the Time Trapper (underused at DC for exactly this sort of reboot event).

Much like the end of the Crisis it imitates, the big bad just stand there, while the hero does his stuff. Despite the intended fireworks, it was a bit flat. It gets points for the villains purpose, which I did like but the rest dragged it down. 3.75

Invisible Republic 2 Image
There are two stories. The first involves Arthur and Maia as they get to the city and try to get off world. But Maia's actions last issue come back to haunt them both. Things are going to get much worse for them now, especially Arthur.

The second story is set over 40 years later. A disgraced journalist is investigating Maia. He's on the verge of losing his job, and makes very slow progress towards his goal. But he's tenacious. That's why people who want the story buried are out to prevent him continuing. Both threads have tense cliffhangers this issue.

The worlds they inhabit are bleak and claustrophobic. The political systems hinted at are also interesting, making confrontations with authority, and other citizens tense. Having set things up last issue, this one gets to round out the characters and their world more. 4.5

Lard Lad #852547 05/29/15 12:46 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Danger Club 8 Image
The Anti-Monitor Big Villain arrives on Earth for some retribution. I'm reminded of Giant Man from a parody event in Excalibur. There's heroic sacrifice. But there's little tension when the plan works out pretty much as intended.

The scope of the book seems to be a pitch to DC for Hypertime - the series. It's a happy ending except for the main character, whose mentor is a jerk a la Batman. Points again for the scope a little more than the execution. 4

Rachel Rising 33
Abstract Studio A quick read that takes us away from our main characters, and focuses on a creepy arrival. The spookiness starts with a well executed transformation as the character walks through the woods, and her actions unnerve the two men she meets this issue. One may not live to long beyond it. 4.5

Pisces 1 Image
The story doesn’t quite veer enough away from Vietnam films to tell us something unique. The main character does have to make some difficult, and not always heroic, decisions. There are a few sentences of exposition that don’t quite work as our main characters try to get back to their own forces. There's a 2001/ Moorcock add on to the tale, where the main character may be operating across other worlds or times. It's not clear this issue nor does it connect too well with the main story. 3.5

Rocket Girl 6 Image
This was a title that made me look more closely at other Image books, in good time for their market glut. Rocket Girl is part of New York's Teen Police department of the future. She's forced on the run back in time through a plot involving Quintum Mechanics. They are also involved in her past. In the first few pages of this issue we get great '80s fashion and a catfight with a comedy hotdog moment.

The issue jumps to the main characters first days on the force. Things don't go well, and we see some more of what makes her character act the way she does. We also get a quick look at someone else trapped in the past, a quick reunion with someone close to the main character and a reminder that there's another subplot going on with the folks she left behind in the future. The art brings all the cast and their city to life. 4.5

Walking Dead, The 141 Image
We get a good look at the personalities of the various group leaders as they conduct their business. No one is completely good considering what they've gone through and they have very different approaches to dealing with situations. Even the heroes seem to have double standards. Those differences may lead to trouble further down the road for everyone. Still lost a few points for not checking that door. 5

Lantern City 1 Boom/ Archaea
This is an English post industrial revolution meets Metropolis setting. The cities inhabitants are kept behind a giant wall, protected from a threat (see Logan's Run). The regime is enforced by guards who subjugate the population, keeping them in their places. But voices of discontent are growing and our central character is reluctantly forced into decisions as the book progresses. Seeing those changes adds depth to the character, distinguishing him from his mundane surroundings. His very detailed mundane surroundings thanks to the nice art that adds to the depth of this enclosed world.

There's a desperation in the people that comes through very clearly. The main characters' rushed thinking and planning is a result of fear from the regime. A good start to the series, and it will be interesting just how much a single man can do to the system before it either catches or changes him. 4.5

Abe Sapien 23 Dark Horse
This is a welcome change of pace. It's an adventure that takes place before the current gloom-fest. It also handily brings in Hellboy for fun and sales. A body is found in the first several pages. The writing shows nice timing in the conversations pairing with investigations of both official and BPRD style. We get some insight into the local mind-set too. A nice touch is a reminder that communities can end up dependant on their fictional critters. Of course, in Hellboy, very few of them are fiction. Here, there are other motivations at work too.

Nowlan's art is excellent. It brings out the best of the locals with captionless facial expressions being the highlight. The dialogue is crisp. Everyone gets some smart characterisation without being overly clever. It's going to be a bit of a drop back into mutant Abe wandering the devastated US after this. 5.25

Aero Girl 1 Action Lab The cartoony art style and a main storyline involving father/teen daughter crime fighting don’t really do much for me. But the interesting villain and the cityscape drew me in for just enough panels to catch my attention. The villains are fun and fill their story roles well. The family relationship has more to do with concern than crime fighting which is a good move. The battles are there for story purposes and not as filler. Finally the cliffhanger hits with surprise/sadness in equal measure. 4.25

Copperhead 6 Image
One of the characters is released from prison after trapping poor Deputy Boo (who gets some fun lines). The Sheriff's glimpsed butt is saved by her protector and that's the part of the book that didn’t quite work. The bad guys missed an opportunity to eliminate her after one of their own was killed and didn't take it. If that's not what they were there to do, then why were they there (perhaps the teacher has a hidden past we don't know about yet). Especially as tensions were high.

The teacher/ sheriff date worked reasonably in that there are readers will broadly recognise some of their own dates from it. The art continues to make each character distinctive, and there's a new subplot developing in the wings. 3.75

Mister X : Razed 3 Dark Horse
The Eisner openings, the dialogue based setups and payoffs and the understated Radiant City madness continue. There's a deathtrap and some nice panels, but that means that it's a quicker read. Particularly since it's only one of two stories in the book. The second takes us back to Electropolis.

The second tale still connects to the first. But it is also split into Menlo Park and Rosetta Stone chapters before they merge for the finale. Metal stealing zombies and missing crypts. There's quite a lengthy text epilogue. I imagine that's in there for space reasons as the reveal would have been better in panel somewhere. Another possible hint to the identity of our favourite Radiant City resident. 5

Lard Lad #852746 05/31/15 03:24 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
DC Sneak Previews:-

DC Sneak Peak: Action Comics 1 DC
A depowering Superman travels home to the Fortress of Solitude. He complains constantly of the cold, yet oddly doesn’t zip his jacket up once. He's attacked by random ninjas. Presumably this is where they've been hiding since all those '80s Daredevil books. Their fight is simply to remind us that this Superman will bleed. Eventually. Not that there's a chance he'll lose. It's just going to have some more blood in it to titillate viewers.

Things don't go well at the fortress of Solitude either, as more of the character's past is rendered inaccessible. It a pretty common arc for characters. Kryptonite affects him then it doesn't. He can move planets then he can't. It's the same for Wonder Woman and others too. But this will be decent if you've not seen it before and the art brings out a more physical central character pretty well. There's not much more context as this all takes place on an ice field. If the cape is indestructible, how can he rip it? 3.5

DC Sneak Peak: Aquaman 1 DC A squad of heavily armed and armoured guards track Aquaman through a burning seaside town. They are killing machines who have caused lots of damage. They are there to kill one man. So it's a bit odd that none of them fire an accurate shot when they have Aquaman dead in their sights. Not one of them.

Aquaman gets to run up for some close combat. Combat where he kills. He gets to show off some new powers too. His thumpy leg can cause earthquakes (Sorry Vibe, you're sacked from JLD) and his trident has a few video game effects such as energy spikes and teleportation (handy - sorry. shouldn't say that around Aquaman).

Aquaman's dialogue is poor. He doesn't know if he's a good guy. He's all posture. He's also let this town burn before realising that the fight should be taken elsewhere. So, none too smart either. This plot plays up the old Aquaman as cursed outsider again. Against him is Mera (I think that's happened before too) and a few sea themed allies. This is worse than the opening few issues of DC Nu's Aquaman. It may be a new direction for the character, but not necessarily in the right way. 2.5

DC Sneak Peak: Batgirl 1 DC
Trapped in a deadly obstacle course. Yet completely able to contact outside aide. But not from law enforcement. Because that would be silly. This version of Batgirl (from Gotham. Must have link)seems to have a computer mind. Which is fitting considering her opponents in this self contained teaser. She wins simply in the end, her foes having set up their own failure.

We get quick panels showing things in Batgirl's future. None of which look dramatic. This is partly because the art goes much more for action fun than drama. It works well in this action oriented intro. 3.25

DC Sneak Peak: Batman 1 DC
The residents of Gotham hold a bat signal vigil for their urban legend violent vigilante. We get another few pages of homage to Gotham's lost hero and I'm wondering what character I was reading for all those years. I guess in DCNu that Bats is just one of the capes. I get to find out who's in the suit and it's another version with a name and not much else I recognise.

Gotham has gone through yet another disaster and the Joker has perpetrated yet another mass killing. But for readers of the DCNu perhaps all this is new. So, they get a character stepping up to take over the bat suit. I can only hope the readers didn't just have to sit through month's of various characters battling for the cape. 3.25

DC Sneak Peak: Batman Beyond 1 DC
This is Tim Drake taking the place of the last Batman Beyond (that I never read). This future is set on the brink, or just after, a great disaster. That's not a random phrase. The Great Disaster looks to be linked firmly into the Kamandi comics from the 1970s, judging by the surname of one of the supporting cast. So, while I've no idea if that matches any of the previous Batman Beyond comics, it has a Kirby platform to build on here.

I imagine that it's Tim Drake in the costume to bring across more batman fans than the last incumbent managed. I've not read a lot of Tim Drake either. A few Titans comics. He wins by the clichéd grenade down the throat trick that always works against roaring comic creatures. If anyone were to cut off his link with a computerised Alfred, he'd lose most of his armaments. Alfred gives Tim a handy sidekick to talk to and who doesn't take up much panel space. 3.5

DC Sneak Peak: Batman/ Superman 1 DC I'm glad I read action comics first. Our depowered Superman is tracking some folks to Gotham (All links lead to Gotham). He runs into one of their faces on a motorbike. There's more lower level violence for the sake of showing some blood and punishment when he goes up against Bat Mech Batman. I've no idea if it's Bruce Wayne in there or Tony Stark, but it would appear that there's little friendship between the pair of them. There's not much point either. I thought the armoured figure in the ads was Blue Beetle, but it's a Batman with rocket launchers replacing oversized 1980s shoulder pads.

The final panel is there to give Superman a choice to give away more heroism. For this sort of book you should just pick up either Dark Knight Returns or Haywire. I get my answer on why the indestructible cape ripped too. 2.5

DC Sneak Peak: Bat-Mite 1 DC
There was a story where Ambush Bug tries to become everyone's sidekick. Another where Jonni DC is responsible for everyone's origin. Throwaway fun in Action Comics and Ambush Bug minis. All much better at humour than the writer here. I wonder how Bats would have avoided the Rocket Launcher, without Bat Mite's intervention. Or just why the crook was about to kill his friends. Payoffs that don't work.

It looks as though this Bat issue is just the first of a number of characters Ambush-lite Bat-Mite is going to meet. It would have been nice to stick around for a few of the many Bat-jokes that are available but not used here. 2.75

DC Sneak Peak: Bizarro 1 DC
The premise of old Bizarro world was that they were all like Bizarro. Here, with some normal folks stuck with a Bizarro, you can see why they'd want rid of him. This is set up to be a road trip with Bizarro and Jimmy Olsen as they drive to Canada (which shouldn't be too far away from Metropolis really). I wonder if Bizarro will join Justice League United.

It's got a little more humour in it than Bat-Mite managed, which isn't a huge compliment. The mogo panel was fun. The eating of a coke shipment just a little odd for a comic that could have been aimed at kids. 3

DC Sneak Peak: Black Canary 1 DC
This version of Black Canary is a lead singer. I'm sure that the other sound based character over at marvel also being in a band is entirely coincidental. Dinah beats up some rival band members. Then she's hit in the head by a guitar. A blow so powerful it sends her 50 feet into the air and on top of a building. And lives. Somewhere along the way she has got some extra superpowers. None of this has any effect on anything. It's just filler. The ACME board of shadowy office based figures foretell something or other at the end. 2.75

DC Sneak Peak: Catwoman 1 DC
Catwoman keeps her clothes on all the way through this, which makes it better than the first DC Nu issue. The downside is that now she's in charge of a crime family. We get to be introduced to lots of characters with narration captions at a party. This is not to be confused for actual characterisation.

Two things. Firstly, violent families are done far better over in Lazarus. Secondly, as boss of a crime family Selina is now responsible for every crime resulting from her pushers, pimps and general low life scum that comprise the levels of crime families. Writer/ Editors not thinking it through? My character empathy has just left Gotham and the art can't save it. 2.5

Lard Lad #852747 05/31/15 03:33 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
DC Sneak Peak: Constantine: Hellblazer 1 DC
We're only seeing the final scene in a story here, with a flashback from one of the characters. So, I imagine that Constantine really isn’t just handing someone over to the demons quite as blatantly as it seems. Even if she is at fault.

Constantine feels the need to inform us that he's not a super hero (a Justice League Dark jab?). The story falls into the everything must revolve around the central character pitfall. The ward one of the characters is using just happens to have Constantine's initials on it. Who knew Constantine's band were popular enough to still have posters around? 3

DC Sneak Peak: Cyborg 1 DC
Cyborg gets an upgrade. His story was often one of battling to hang on to humanity in the face of life changing events. Here, they just kill him off for a reboot button to be pressed. His Justice League colleagues offer no practical advise and less assistance in conflict with minor foes. 3

DC Sneak Peak: Deathstroke 1 DC
Our main character is indulging in some cliff climbing in the South Pacific. There's a reason he wants to stay at his peak. Apparently he's been given his sight back and he's now younger.

In other words, removing two of the character's drawing points and making him much like all the other unkillable assassins out there. I say apparently, because he hasn't taken his mask off. It could be Deadpool here.

He's confronted by the Titans (who must be very bored listening in to "Hey, you'll never believe who's on our cliff" phone calls from the locals). Ah, the Titans. Heroic characters who you want to do well.. oh, this Wonder Girl has just threatened to kill the villain. Whew! It's all a Danger Room Rip Off.

I just laugh as Slade is recruited to a team. They have a title from a sad Garth Ennis comic and they carry "out missions even Black Ops won't touch." In comics, there's nothing but teams handling things Black Ops won't touch. Even Black Ops pretend not to be Black Ops these days, just to stay in the market. Of course, the new X-Mansion base has a global reach. Yawn!

We get Deathstroke's mission in the last couple of pages. That has some potential, but the character, setting and cast have no pulling power to make me interested in finding out more. 2.75

DC Sneak Peak: Detective Comics 1 DC
Some of Gotham's finest seemed to have gone over to the side of villains. I've no idea why, as the story really doesn’t provide any context other than an explosion. Without that, Bullock's unlikely request at the end falls a little flat. Decent art in this one, which is needed for a non costumed cast. 3

DC Sneak Peak: Doctor Fate 1 DC
Our hero is about to be a medical student. His future is one of hard work. He only gets brief moments with his girlfriend and it rains all issues. There's no fighting or costumes either. With a little more self pity it could have veered towards Vertigo territory.

Our two characters have a purpose in their lives. This makes a nice change from "beating folks up" as a life goal as seen in most other comics . Nasseur's family are also interesting and grounded. The hook for us to pick up the series is very forced. He just happens to wander into a museum exhibit, where the helmet of Nabu just happens to be waiting for him.

So, it could well be one of those titles where our trainee sorcerer has greatness thrust upon him sort of things. It's been done in Doctor Fate before, never mind in lots of other places.

Considering the pace of the rest of the issue, I'm hoping that this looked shoe horned in because of the limited space. The character loses lots of empathy points for abandoning his cat to go into the museum. Git. Fans of Gaimanesque talking animals will also like this issue. Complete with foretold dooms. 3.25

DC Sneak Peak: Doomed 1 DC
I braced myself for this one, but it's got one of the better stories of the sneak peeks. There's an effective payoff at the end, and a decent battle showing our character's inexperience. All built on a predictable but not overplayed opening hero/villain switch. While I'm not bothered about the central character, the team producing this one is worth a look. 3.5

DC Sneak Peak: Earth-2: Society 1 DC
Two characters spend all their time wanting to press a button, but don’t actually press it. Two other characters seek to stop them. They have plenty of power, but never seem to actually use it. It's very much a holding issue that tries hard not to escalate any tension along the way, leaving that for it's first issue. Green Lantern and green Arrow could do with some dialogue coaching. 3

DC Sneak Peak: Flash, The 1 DC
We get an introduction to Barry Allen's life. It's a slow one, but we meet most of the cast, and find out he's had a recent break up. The odd thing is that the narration is from a character with no way of seeing it. He's telling it to a group of character's who also can't see it. Once Barry defeats a random villain in front of them, they decide to begin their "hunt." This should be quick, as he's right there. The other odd thing is that the villains run forward in a "dramatic" group pose. But they're on the roof of a building. So anyone who can't fly is going to be squished. Right in front of the person they're hunting. Street signs of Jay and Garrick get some points. 3

DC Sneak Peak: Gotham Academy 1 DC
In order to shift a few more copies, everything has to be tied in with Batman or Superman. So our Academy is tied in with Gotham. It could have been worse. It's a gloomy enough place. I was wondering if this was going to be DC's answer to Morning Glories, but it has a lighter manga influenced touch. It's more fantasy and stock footage critters than anything particularly dark.

The idea of having most of the preview in rhyme was different. I get bored with a page of Etrigan, but it gets points nonetheless. The whole thing being a peek into the Academies future is certainly an attempt to get as much interest as it can. When that happens in a book I'm reading, I usually think I'll just pop back much later, since I know what's going to happen. But I can understand why it's done in a trailer issue.

One of the characters at the academy wears glasses due to his vision being different. I couldn't get Cyclops out of my head every time he popped up. 3.25

DC Sneak Peak: Gotham by Midnight 1 DC
Some nice art draws me into this one. We get an early supernatural event too. But there's a distraction. You know the sound of a large bird landing on your roof? That thump? Or what about large hailstones? Now imagine a ton of armoured vigilante landing on it. Or more accurately, through it. This new Robo-Bat better hope his identity stays secret, just to stay ahead of the insurance companies. Like I said, a distraction to remind us where the book is tied into.

We don't see the end of the scene either, which makes me wonder if it's still going on, or if the writer couldn't resolve it. Jim Corrigan is whiny as he tries to avoid taking the case. Cyber-Bat may be a young Jason Todd as he speaks like a child. It turns out that Bats just fled the scene to contact Corrigan.

The event just turns out to be some zombies with special effects. Corrigan and his team (also available for missions Black Ops won't touch) pose in front of the horde. That makes it more horror-comedy than anything supernatural. The art gets this more points than the writing deserves. 3

DC Sneak Peak: Grayson1 DC
The Man with No Codename. Considering DC felt they had to kill a perfectly successful character because they felt Nightwing aged Batman, this is possibly a good thing. The preview scene seems ridiculous. A passenger on a plane sees Grayson looking at him, reacts badly and pushes Grayson. Grayson manages to fall out of the big passenger plane, taking a small boy with him. A boy that is miraculously rescued by an agent of Spyral during a standard implausible espionage parachute rescue.

Okay, so something else was going on. The final panels tell you that the boy had been kidnapped and pushing him out of a plane was the safest way anyone could think of to rescue him. Of course it was. Meanwhile, back on the plane no one seems the least bit bothered about what happened. Sure, the kidnappers are arguing, but everyone else is fine about the passengers who fell out and the man that caused it. Even the child's link to DC's superheroes can't help this one. Spyral are available for missions that Black Ops won't touch. 2.75

DC Sneak Peak: Green Arrow 1 DC
Zen and the art of motorcycle whining. Our rich, self assured protagonist searches for something he clearly hasn’t lost. But it's a solid enough story with some interesting additions. Possibly a death at Arrow's hands in there too. Meanwhile, back in Seattle, the city burns because there's not a man with a bow and arrows to protect it. Good art on this one. 3.5

Lard Lad #852750 05/31/15 03:42 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
DC Sneak Peak: Green Lantern 1 DC
A long haired, ronin Hal Jordan gets involved in a bar fight and threatens to remove the arm of a police officer he's already injured. There's nothing wrong with (most of) the dialogue, and Hal acts defensively throughout. Perhaps this is even the Hal Jordan of DCNu. If it is, it's worlds away from his roots. For me, he's someone being forced into a role. Mind you, he still got some self-pity in. So, he at least has a link to 1980's Jordan. 3.25

DC Sneak Peak: Green Lantern: Lost Army 1 DCGreen Lantern rings. Containers of loads of information about the universe. Yet so often useless every time the writer thinks that being somewhere "unknown" makes things more interesting.

The Lantern who can take damage is oddly enough the one to get hurt (see Wolverine, Vision and Red Tornado). The Lantern with psychic connections is the only one to connect with the aliens. John Stewart gets an injury. But the narration makes it clear he's a tough leader, so we don't see the wound again.

They could be trapped in Fantastic Voyage here, judging by the "anti bodies" they attract. A big gun Lantern villain appears at the end. Having them pool together to get out really ruins the impact such a villain could make in a bigger plot.

I'm surprised the Lost Army isn't a little bigger, as these things usually require some character fodder. Perhaps they'll get more recruits later. The art is good enough to keep things interesting, and the rating would have been a bit lower without it. 3.25

DC Sneak Peak: Harley Quinn 1 DC
Lots of dialogue in this one. Not a lot actually happens though. Harley now has a group. They're not only available for missions no black ops would touch, but they even have their own price list! That's planning for you. The group all get hero names, derived from their ethnic/ geographical backgrounds. There's the most obvious tail on a politician. It works because it has to for plot reasons. And that's it. Oh, a self referential nod to the story being a preview. 3.25

DC Sneak Peak: Justice League 1 DC
If you're going to have a preview issue full of sneak peeks, then who better than an oracle to show you? While I'm not overly familiar with DCNu's Wonder Woman, we get an interesting fact on her birth. We also get another simultaneous birth elsewhere on the island (see inciting events for Monitor/ Anti Monitor and Batman/ Wrath) This ties the children's destinies up nicely for the Big Justice League Event.

With Darkseid thumping it out with the Anti Monitor it is a Big Event. OK, it completely lacks any subtlety, seeing the two of them reduced to boxing in a city. I expect Godzilla will be along in a minute with some Marvel monsters.

The peeks into characters futures are standard reversals of what they can do. Miracle captured; Aquaman drowning etc. I imagine they dropped Night Girl sunbathing and Chameleon Boy trapped in one form for space reasons.

I hope that the readers of the actual event will have more substance than style. Something else else that this falls into the longer it goes on. The art here is at the top end of these sneak peaks. That and the interesting origin details prop the rest of it up. There's some breathlessly inane blurb in the intro. 3.5

DC Sneak Peak: Justice League 3001 1 DC
In true Giffen & DeMatteis style, the issue is centred around lots of talking in a restaurant. Following that style, the only real threats to the people they are supposed to be protecting, comes from the "heroes" themselves. In this case, the demolition of said establishment.

The writers generally give their characters an obvious flaw to exploit. They might not be deep, but they are there. Superman is an arrogant blowhard, who can't believe he's not adored. Having lost his fortune, Bruce is stingy. In another "comedy" reversal, Guy Gardner is now in a woman's body. Wonder Woman is overly aggressive, but with a strong sense of lost connections. There's a Flash related character and the group's leader who I'm not familiar with. They are Clark and Bruce's lucky dates for the evening.

It's a League without any notable heroism, and with shallow characters. But as an introduction to the characters, you certainly know what everyone's flaws are.

It's a self contained preview. As it's all set in one place, I've no idea what the universe they find themselves in is actually like. Perhaps no one else wants to share a building with them, just like the customers here. (This would rate much lower if I was to remember any affection for the genuine versions of the characters shown here). The Justice League are too busy bickering to take on any missions Black Ops won't touch. 3.25

DC Sneak Peak: Justice League United 1 DC
Every super hero and villain on the planet is recruited for a Justice League mission. Well, lots of them anyway. All of which gets in the way of there being any real plot. We do know that DC can’t leave their post convergence universe alone for five minutes. Whatever happened has "anomalies" and throwing people in costumes at it in group shots seems to be the only thing that will stop it.

In JLA: Nail comics Adam Strange was trapped in an event that killed him as he travelled in a zeta beam. Here, he's trapped in an event again, but trapped and able to see those "anomalies." Handily he's developed telepathy with his wife so she'll be able to move the capes around accordingly in issues to come. It's a bit derivative, but once an actual plot arrives could provide some decent story hooks. Brianiac looks as though he's escaped Hellraiser. 3

DC Sneak Peak: Lobo 1 DC
A killer and betrayer without any of the dark humour of the original version. It's Lobo. Some violence, a sex scene with a misogynistic barb at the end and a look at another Big Lantern villain being used to prop up interest in a DC sneak preview title. 3

DC Sneak Peak: Martian Manhunter 1 DC
The cover blurb makes me think of Conway's Earth-Mars war. But it's more of an introduction to Morrison's White Martians through J'Onn J'Onzz's perceptions. He's not the last of his race (presumably something DCNu reinstated for... a couple of years. Gosh).

The people who call him do so because they are willing to risk the lives of their colleagues to study him. Sure, they think J'Onzz will be able to do the task. But it's not their only motivation. So, if these guys are going to be a supporting cast, I'm not bothered about their fates.

The take on Manhunter is more interesting with a fresh look on some familiar character traits. The mission has some gore. It will be interesting if the Manhunter feels any guilt. There's little chance of the thing he discovers there being present as a coincidence. 3.5

DC Sneak Peak: Midnighter 1 DC
The action sequences of the gloomiest Batman coupled with the personality of an abused Wolverine. On a loop. We at least get an opening sequence before the fight. A fight that is well drawn. Actually the art is decent throughout. But it's not long before the Midnighter repeats his mantras about knowing how to kill in a bajillion different ways etc. It's not helped by his recite a variation of the ending to the Hellboy movie. In the end it's just a fight scene. 3

DC Sneak Peak: Omega Men 1 DC
One country's terrorists are another's freedom fighters. Our foreign affairs set in the Vegan system brought to us by a take on an IS execution video. Since we don’t see Kyle Rayner executed, I'm assuming it's fake. If that's the case DC runs a risk of being seen as exploitative and not having he guts to run with a provocative story. Each of the Omega Men has a slightly different take on what they are doing, that adds some depth. 3.5

DC Sneak Peak: Prez 1 DC
It's not a good sign when something futuristic is using Twitter. There are a few things it can’t seem to leave behind, although use of a hacker group is important for the end of the story.

If the plane actually made a detour to get the Prez elect thai food, then she got everyone on her flight killed. If not, then the people planning the route are in serious trouble. It's no Transmetropolitan, but it at least looks to take forward a few issues. 3.25

Lard Lad #852751 05/31/15 03:53 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
DC Sneak Peak: Red Hood & Arsenal 1 DC
Killing is fun kids. Watch as our "heroes" shoot down umpteen minions of a Kobra who has never looked worse. On the plus side, the dialogue and the interaction between the two characters works. Although it's a team that loves killing things. It's a step up from the last time I saw either of them, but that's not saying much. 3

DC Sneak Peak: Robin: Son of Batman 1 DC
Upset at being found in Action Comics, DC's ninjas leap (stealthily I'm sure) across to here, where they fall in their droves to a twelve year old boy. The boy also beats up some Man Bat things for good measure. He's trying to be heroic. But behind that we learn that he was probably responsible for causing some previous damage to those he's now saving. Also, that he's far from humble and that he really likes the violence.

There's another character observing Damian from the shadows. Another in a long line of psychic characters who exist only to add some foreshadowing. The guy could have been living in that cave for weeks waiting to foreshadow. Do any of the locals mention it to Robin before he flies off? Nope. Why ruin the nonsensical cliché. 3.25

DC Sneak Peak: Robin, We are 1 DC
The intro for this one reminded me of Vibe's back in JLD. Child endangerment goes city wide to a degree not seen since it was done before in Dark Knight Returns.

We don’t get to see much in the lives of any of the cast. We do find out that crooks are deaf. Especially if they hang around the docks. Those will be the Gotham docks I imagine, to ensure the book links in with all the others. There's not much to latch onto in this one. But at least it's a group with a purpose. One that doesn't involve black ops missions at all. I wonder how many issues they will have before running into one of the characters in the many Bat-related books. 3

DC Sneak Peak: Secret Six 1 DC
The first panel gives us that obligatory Gotham link (see Gotham Academy; Gotham by Midnight; Jonah Hex; Ambush Bug in The Fridges of Gotham etc.) We open with an attack on a museum. A museum with a dozen heavily armed security guards. Foolishly the museum owners have went with seasoned mercenaries (sorry, mercs as they are always referred to in comics). They thought it was a job for former black ops personnel. They didn't realise it was a job for the 1000 DC groups that handle missions that black ops won't touch. Enter: The Secret Six.

They aren't too bright. They don't know who hired them or why. But they save the museum and wander off into anti-hero shadows. We get glimpses of the group. Quite a few are new to me. Catman certainly looks creepier in a vanilla sky mask sort of way. If they are there to help, his mauling of two guards seems a bit excessive. The twist involving one of the normal guards is some relief. 3

DC Sneak Peak: Section Eight 1 DC
DC break new ground by setting this in…no sorry, it's Gotham again. Still, it's made up to us by animal cruelty and a cast that's taken pretty much from the cover of Stuper Powers the RPG. Um, that's the last page. 2.75

DC Sneak Peak: Sinestro 1 DC
Why have the corps of peace keeping protectors when you can have a collection of psychotic losers who wield the same power and are killers? That's progress in comics. Fortunately, the writing makes the most out of it. Sinestro is shown to have a number of goals, and the intelligence to find useful solutions to a number of problems. Kanjar Ro seemed a bit wasted on his introduction. But by the end, you could see why he was used. Decent writing that's probably hindered by the cast (more pathetic loner nut jobs than anywhere this side of a wolverine convention). 3.25

DC Sneak Peak: Starfire 1 DC
Just like Power Girl, no one will believe you're picking this up for the story. Although she spends lots of time flying around here, the biggest breath of fresh air is moving Kory away from her tiresome struggle against her "warrior" side. In other words, lots of whining between her and Grayson. We get the first glimpse of a supporting cast and a new location for her. It's the beginning of something I hope will be positive for the character. 3.5

DC Sneak Peak: Suicide Squad, New 1 DC
I chuckled at DC's delicate take on current political tensions in Ukraine. They are wasted producing comics while the UN is surely lost without them. A giant sized Rocket Red is taken down far too easily. Why bother spending the money to build it, if it can be taken down by a peashooter. Just make more pea shooters. The squad being on a scouting mission to find something that is 100 feet tall and bright red is laughable. The US drone operation must be really poor right now.

We only see three of the squad. One of whom is unhinged. Considering her low survival chances, it must be her Bat-Connection keeping her alive (must have Gotham connection).

Elsewhere we have an office where suits look to shut down Task Force X. Fine if you've missed all the other offices where people look to shut down Task Force X. A lot of those offices had an arguing Waller in them, so this isn't one of those. I imagine that competition from other DC teams who handle missions that black ops won't touch is partly responsible for this conversation. That's about it. There's no depth to anything here. 3

DC Sneak Peak: Superman 1 DC
Big changes for Superman if this is anything to go by. More importantly Kent, Olsen and Lane all act consistently and well within character. A random villain provides some action, but is mainly there to let the world know that Kent is still around. Nice to see some Romita art too. It fits well with this grittier Superman look. 3.5

DC Sneak Peak: Superman/ Wonder Woman 1 DC
Your girlfriend follows you into the heart of a star to save you. So, that's the moment you choose to break up with her. Do DC not read any of their old romance books? >tsk<

I take it that Supes is going near the sun to repower after…something or other.

But this book could either be on it's way out, or involve Clark and Diana fighting over their record collections. Which would be a more interesting Event than most of DC's recent Event output. The art is decent, but can't save the silly actions of the cast. Why not start repowering as you go to the sun rather than incinerating yourself by teleporting to the middle of it Clark? 3

DC Sneak Peak: Teen Titans 1 DC
Superboy is apparently a mass murderer and the Titans have split over how to deal with the situation. Wonder Girl's team would have captured Superboy, while Robin is aiding and abetting a wanted felon. Unfortunately the cover suggests we’ll be spending more time with Robin's criminal group.

A standard fiction cliché involves trying to trace a call/ wiretap a location. It generally involves a lot of hard working guys who have set it all up. They are there to be undermined by a "more important" character who belittles them to make himself look cooler. Here it's Manchester Black. He was a tool in the old DC and little has changed here. He's not interested in what the characters are saying, only in where they are. "Even if they are talking about where they'll meet?" I wanted one of the technicians to say. But that would have undermined his toolness.

Robin makes the split permanent and we get a page of his team. It may include Yera from Legion Lost, but we don't get an introduction to any of them. 2.5

Page 24 of 33 1 2 22 23 24 25 26 32 33

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,020
Posts1,045,107
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
Blind Poet
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
antacidlass
antacidlass
wherever acid reflux lurks
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star