Roll Call
0 members (), 24 Murran Spies, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Alt Id's I might consider changing to ....
by rickshaw1 - 05/02/24 08:51 PM
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by rickshaw1 - 05/02/24 08:47 PM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Legion Tracker - 05/02/24 04:32 PM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Ann Hebistand - 05/02/24 12:15 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/02/24 11:41 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/02/24 11:40 AM
Legion Trivia 6
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/02/24 11:09 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
DnA's Greatest Contribution to the Legion Mythos...
#85469 08/14/05 11:30 AM
Trap Timer
OP Online Happy
Trap Timer
Retro

Re: DnA's Greatest Contribution to the Legion Mythos...
#85470 08/15/05 03:04 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
What about Cub?

naaaaah! smile

Legion Worlds NINE - wait, there's even more ongoing amazing adventures? Yup, and you'll only find them in the Bits o' Legionnaire Business Forum.
#85471 08/15/05 01:33 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
B-5.1 and Lyle smooching on-panel!

#85472 08/15/05 03:51 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I know I'm in a minority here (in fact, I may be the only one), but I liked Monstress. She was very Silver Age to me. I'd like the big girl back.

Edited:

I just thought of something - Monstress was pre Abnett and Lanning, wasn't she. Never mind. I go back to my original opinion. DNA contributed zippo to the Legion Mythos, worth retaining, that is. Good ridance to them.

#85473 08/15/05 05:23 PM
Deputy
Deputy
You're not the only one; indeed, Monstress made a respectable showing in the recent "Reboot Legion Idol" game.

"Gee, Brainy, what do you want to do tonight?"
"The same thing we do every night, Bouncing Boy: try to take over the United Planets!!"
They're B.B. and The Brain ...
#85474 08/15/05 05:47 PM
Reservist
Reservist
Originally posted by Semi Transparent Fellow:
I know I'm in a minority here (in fact, I may be the only one), but I liked Monstress. She was very Silver Age to me. I'd like the big girl back.

Edited:

I just thought of something - Monstress was pre Abnett and Lanning, wasn't she. Never mind. I go back to my original opinion. DNA contributed zippo to the Legion Mythos, worth retaining, that is. Good ridance to them.
yikes! I'm the oposite... a Legion fan since around '82, who had a hard time sitting through many issues of the reboot (although I also enjoyed some a lot) until DnA started. Before DnA, I felt like I was constantly just waiting for whatever current storyline to be over, hoping the next one would be better. Things like half the team being stuck in the past, seemed to drag on forever...

DnA saved the reboot, as far as I'm concerned.
(edit: not to mention, these boards are named after a DnA creation: Legion World!)

#85475 08/15/05 06:20 PM
The Infinite Man--of Gripes! (and--of Space!)
The Infinite Man--of Gripes! (and--of Space!)
Yeah, I liked 'em, too. So, hear, hear for DnA!

And Monstress was cool, too (and Snekie as well, at least in terms of her characterization if not her appearance).

LLL!

If the meek shall inherit inherit the Earth, then I at least want Baffin Island - and a property manager to work for me who is made of sterner stuff than I.
#85476 08/15/05 06:36 PM
Pov Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Don't Stop Peelieving
Was it making Jan an insane god?

Nah.

How 'bout recycling an immortal Bat-villain?

Eh.

Maybe it was showing us Monstress' insides, both literally and figuratively?

Puh-lease... lol

No, I'm gonna have to say DnA's greatest contribution to the Legion was finally leaving... wink laugh

"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me
#85477 08/15/05 07:30 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
DnA's greatest contribution was saving the Legion from cancellation.

Oh, and "Think fast"! Catspaw

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#85478 08/15/05 07:54 PM
Reservist
Reservist
Originally posted by Pov:
Was it making Jan an insane god?

Nah.

How 'bout recycling an immortal Bat-villain?

Eh.

Maybe it was showing us Monstress' insides, both literally and figuratively?

Puh-lease... lol

No, I'm gonna have to say DnA's greatest contribution to the Legion was finally leaving... wink laugh
Haha, man...I don't think I'll ever get over what a tough crowd we Legion fans are. We can be brutal. If Pee Wee Herman was announced as the next actor to play James Bond, he'd get a warmer reception than some Legion creators get from us. It makes me think of the Giffen interview in 'the Legion Companion' where he tells about the letter he got, where a fan told him he "was no Pat Broderick." ( I mean, I'm a fan of Broderick's Legion, Firestorm, and Sun Runners work, but Giffen managed to have some slight impact as well.)

I wouldn't say I agreed with every single thing DnA did, but I don't remember getting bored during their run, and I felt more like I was getting new adventures, rather than wondering what retred of a classic story we were going to get next (although we did get a couple). The things that stand out in my mind, that I loved from the DnA run:

-- Legion Worlds. I really liked that series, especially the Winath story with Ayla and Mekt, drawn by Breccia. I really loved that story. Also the Dyrk Magz story. Okay, I wasn't crazy about the very end of that one, but I loved seeing that character again, and seeing how he'd been dealing with his post-Legion life. I also liked the Star Boy/Dreamer and Karate Kid/Ferro stories.

-- McCauley dead. This may sound weird, but I really enjoyed that his death was off camera.

-- Shikari. Yeah, she replaced Dawnstar, who I did like a lot, but I liked Shikari and her people as well. A lot of that probably came down to Copiel's design more than the writing, but I did like her character.

-- Legion World. Again, a nice design, and I liked the concept.

-- Legion of the Damned. A real feeling of menace and jeopardy for the characters, that I don't think I felt once in the reboot prior to DnA, even when Legionnaires were actually dying. I can't explain that, other than that was the feeling I had reading them. As dark as the 5 years later stuff...but cleared up in 4 issues!

-- Superboy in SB costume and part of the Legion in the future. I don't think I ever strongly hated the new Superboy, but I don't think I ever cared at all about him either, prior to this.

I could probably go on all day (or at least another 5 minutes), but those are the first things that pop to mind...

-- Oh yeah: and Chuck. Even if he couldn't actually be Bouncing Boy, I liked them giving him a more active role with the "Bouncing Boy" ship. Better than him being "the-guy-who-stands-around-and-occasionally fixes-something-because-we-can't-have-a-fat-guy-being-an-actual-superhero".

All of that stuff was just my personal preference... individual milage may vary.

#85479 08/15/05 08:10 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
On the subject of Monstress...was her origin ever explained? Coz i dont believe a real Xanthian native could have been born green, butch, yet strangely loveable in a "smothering" sort of way..

#85480 08/15/05 08:17 PM
SLK Offline
Substitute
Substitute
Yeah, alot of stuff that DnA did was pretty forgettable. If you were to ask me right this minute what the plot was for either Dream Crimes or Foundations, I would be at a loss for words. But there were some pretty memorable moments as well.

*Legion Lost still stands out to me as an incredible story simply for the fact that it made me care for characters I could give a rip about before. Kid Quantum, although not a DnA creation, really blossomed during this story. Of course they would then ruin her through overuse, but...

*Like Southtown Kid above, I loved Legion Worlds. Especially #4 where Star Boy, Dreamer and XS join the Amazaers and Khunds in defending Xanthu from Robotica. That stands out as my all-time favorite DnA issue.

*Despite fizzeling out somewhere in the Computo storyline, DnA had an incredible start with the Legion series. I loved the scenes where the Lost Legion fought the Oversight crew. When Triad freed Shikari from that hospital, I got actually cheered, cause the Legion was back and working again! And of course when Gates is freed from prison (It's...it's...it's about sprocking time!") Classic moment!

As for actual contributions? Some have already been mentioned but...

Shikari
the Omniphagos (cool concept)
the Rosetta (I think that was the name of the circle of planets belonging to teh Progenitor - very cool IMHO)

Robotica - never was fully explored to its potential - I would love to see a class of robots interact with the Legion

Legion World - the ultimate in HQs
a kick butt Dreamer

Kon-El in the Legion - not very popular for many here, but it made me like that character for the first time ever

Plus I've never seen any characters of the OC read old issues of Levitz's Legion on TV, have you?

And of course as Lash mentioned they kept the series from getting cancelled outright. As many mistakes as they might have made, I think they pulled something together from a wreck of a reboot and made it interesting.

Bravo DnA!!

BTW, what was the name of that girl in the Oversight Watch who had whips or something? I'm too lazy to look it up.

#85481 08/15/05 08:21 PM
Trap Timer
OP Online Happy
Trap Timer
Originally posted by legionadventureman:
On the subject of Monstress...was her origin ever explained? Coz i dont believe a real Xanthian native could have been born green, butch, yet strangely loveable in a "smothering" sort of way..
Her origin was given in Legion Lost #2. She was this pretty rich girl who was hit by a gene grenage or something like that and then mutated into that form.

#85482 08/15/05 08:26 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
no gamma rays involved?

#85483 08/15/05 08:53 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
For one thing, DnA brought me back to the Legion! I had grown tired of the "Archie Legion" and dropped both titles. I think their biggest contribution was the excitement they created about the title after "Lost" and "Worlds".

I think the best thing they added to the mythos itself is Legion World. Too bad we never got to see more of it and have its possibilities really explored.

On a more personal note, I loved what they did with Wildfire - ejecting that crappy new origin and showing us Wildfire the way he was meant to be.

#85484 08/15/05 08:59 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I could have stayed with the Legion with the writing team of Abnett and Lanning, but then there was Olivier Coipel's art to consider - it was good in parts, bad in others...

Non-related thought: did Thunder ever appear again after the Blight storyline concluded or did she simply fade into obscurity like Tyroc did?

#85485 08/15/05 09:01 PM
Trap Timer
OP Online Happy
Trap Timer
She resigned during "Widening Rifts" and was never heard from again.

#85486 08/15/05 09:08 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Oh boy...just goes to prove what changing a comic book's direction would mean to certain characters. Like when Levitz was writing, Tyroc was utilised less...

Maybe it would have been better to have Thunder as a visiting "heroine in need of assistance" rather than making her a Legionnaire, coz what more could be done for her after her Rock of Eternity quest had ended?

#85487 08/15/05 09:22 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by DrakeB3004:
For one thing, DnA brought me back to the Legion! I had grown tired of the "Archie Legion" and dropped both titles. I think their biggest contribution was the excitement they created about the title after "Lost" and "Worlds".
You know, I'm in the same position with DnA. I had left the Legion during "Archie Era" only to be sucked in by the Damn'd Legion!

#85488 08/15/05 09:44 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
i'm another one DnA brought back to the legion, legion of the damned and after, legion lost etc.
(the advertising for legion of the damned must have been good) i also, quit the legion after the reboot.

#85489 08/16/05 10:29 AM
Deputy
Deputy
Whatever shortcomings developed (and they were many by the end), DnA streamlined stupid things, reintroduced a Superboy to the 31st (for which I will be forever grateful), reenergized what many of you will recall was a pretty beat down fan base, and put the Legion back on the comic stage. Not too shabby--and more than Waid could say with his first Legion run. Let's not completely throw them under the bus just because they finished weaker than they started.

The only consistent feature of all of your dissatisfying relationships is you.

Don't judge me!
#85490 08/16/05 10:40 AM
Pov Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Don't Stop Peelieving
I'll cede some points, but I can't give you Superboy, AFOB. Klone-El met the team several times before DnA, both in the future and in his era.

Their later work wouldn't have been so disappointing if they hadn't started out so strong... frown

"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me
#85491 08/16/05 11:20 AM
Trap Timer
OP Online Happy
Trap Timer
I still say

Retro

#85492 08/16/05 12:05 PM
Active
Active
For a finally-likable Reboot Brainiac 5, I'm very grateful to them. I also enjoyed their Chameleon more than in earlier parts of the reboot. And they brought along Olivier Coipel, who became my favorite artist of that Legion incarnation.

And yeah, Legion World!

#85493 08/16/05 03:37 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally posted by Pov:
I'll cede some points, but I can't give you Superboy, AFOB. Klone-El met the team several times before DnA, both in the future and in his era.
I also think that Kon-El's exile into the 30th century was an editorial decision and not something DnA wanted or needed.

If I'm remembering some of the interviews and such at the time correctly, I thought that DC wanted to remove some of Superman's add-ons and that sending him into the future was their solution. It was supposed to also save the Legion's slumping sales. But, then Teen Titans (partly because of the cartoon?) became such a hit (and Legion took such a slump), that Johns got to keep him.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,020
Posts1,045,079
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
LegionFan223
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Luck Lad
Luck Lad
Vancouver, BC
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star