Roll Call
0 members (), 43 Murran Spies, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by thoth lad - 05/13/24 05:34 AM
Legion Trivia 6
by thoth lad - 05/12/24 11:36 PM
Kill This Thread LII - The End of the Deck of Cards
by thoth lad - 05/12/24 02:15 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/11/24 09:37 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Eryk Davis Ester - 05/10/24 04:47 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:58 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:56 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Your TOP TEN all time favorite Legion stories!
#85974 12/14/06 01:51 AM
Trap Timer
OP Offline
Trap Timer
Here's a rough list of my current faves:

1) Starfinger (the original story)
2) The Super-Stalag of Space
3) The Trial of Star Boy
4) Mordru the Merciless
5) The Tenzil-Vi date issue
6) Who is Sensor Girl?
7) The Conspiracy Storyline
8) The Heroes of Tartarus
9) The Tangleweb story
10) The White Triangle

I think I'll comment on these later. Feel free to add your own lists with comments.

Re: Your TOP TEN all time favorite Legion stories!
#85975 12/14/06 02:51 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
VERY hard to narrow down to just 10, but what jumps out at me initially is...

Super-Stalag

Outcast/Forgotten Legion

Outlawed Legion

Trial of Star Boy

Mordru/Devil's Jury

TM-post-K (LSH 42-50)

LEGIONNAIRES 1-5 (vs. Fatal 5)

Who Is Sensor Girl

LSV War (Levitz/Giffen)

Great Darkness

Along with...

S/LSH 205 (Legion of Super-Executioners)

Evil Hand of the Luck Lords

TMK's "Tenzil saga" (LSH 11 & 14)

ADV 372 (Mission: DIABOLICAL)

Shadow Lass' intro, vs the Fatal 5

White Triangle

Chu Sting

Adult Legion 2-parter

(this may be an impossible task!)

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#85976 12/14/06 03:03 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Gotta include Terra Mosiac there somewhere too... which includes a large portion of the TMK era...

L/o SUBSTITUTE HEROES Special & DC COMICS PRESENTS 59

Universo Project

S/LSH 231 (vs. Fatal 5 while evacuating a planet, still one of the best stand-alone extra-length 1-issue stories ever)

I love the Cockum and grell era, but those were mostly short-stories...

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#85977 12/14/06 03:04 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Legion Lost and Legion "returns" (includes THE LEGION 1-5)

Okay, I promise to stop now...

#85978 12/14/06 03:25 AM
Trap Timer
OP Offline
Trap Timer
It's funny, because there's lots of stories I dig, but there were about 5-6 I felt clearly had to go in the "favorite stories" list, but the remaining four were pretty hard to choose!

Interestingly, while Shooter probably wrote more stories that I consider "classics" than anyone, there were relatively few that I really felt belonged on my favorites list!

#85979 12/14/06 11:03 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
wow! EDE included something from Reboot! wink

in no particular order:

Terra Mosaic (TMK 25-36)
Rebirth (TMK 1-13)
Robotica (L-Worlds 1&4, The 10-14)
Great Darkness (290-294)
world's end (TMK 38 + aftermath 39-41)
Chu sting (80)
Who Is Sensor Girl? (Levitz 14-24-ish)
the entire Reflecto/UB story (273-275,277-282)(okay, technically not that great - the juggling of 3 writers shows - but it was a favorite from youth and remains sentimental)
Violet's Story (304? plus prior subplot)
Legion Lost (125, Lost 1-12, and The 1-3)

Conspiracy would be #11. It would've made the list, but that annoying Starfinger sub-plot weakened it.

The childhood friend Exnihil never had.
#85980 12/14/06 12:40 PM
Trap Timer
OP Offline
Trap Timer
My first five again, with comments:

1. Starfinger
This story is on here for one primary reason: The Seven Wonders of the 30th Century. This is the story that gave us so much of the cool technology of the Legion's future, from fusion powerspheres to weather control devices to labs in the upper atmosphere. Not to mention Sun City, which is my favorite underused Legion concept. And, of course, aged prospector Thomas Keene and his discovery of rejuvium on a distant unexplored planet. Starfinger was never better than in this tale, and even though the "one of us is a traitor" story was done many times, the particular twist this story gives it is actually quite nice.

2.The Super-Stalag of Space
Probably my single favorite Legion story. The Legionnaires are prisoners of an incredibly sadistic alien criminal. Minor character death on a scale that wouldn't be rivaled again until TMK. While we don't see nearly enough of the girls, they still get to save the day.

3. The Trial of Star Boy

"I agree that our rules should be changed. But that doesn't change the fact that you broke the rules as they currently stand. Therefore, you should be expelled!" Brainiac at his dorkiest. Poor Star Boy! I always wanted to see more of his career with the Subs.

4. Mordru

There's a good reason that Luornu-crawling-through-the-tunnel scene was included during the whiting out of the pre-Zero Hour Legion history. This is an awesome story, from featuring a foe so terrifying that the Legionnaires only recourse is to hide from him in the past, to giving great panel time to Legion reservists Lana and Pete. And, of course, the focus on two Legion romances, one destined to become a classic, the other doomed from the start.

5. Tenzil and Vi's date.

Even when you're a super-hero, it doesn't mean your life is perfect. It's the theme that made Spiderman popular, and Shooter's use of the crap from his own life to round out Tenzil as a character is part of what makes this story so endearing. And the end, especially, with Tenz standing up to Duplicate Boy... utterly priceless.

#85981 12/14/06 01:20 PM
Trap Timer
OP Offline
Trap Timer
My second five, with comments:

6. Who is Sensor Girl?

Levitz doing what he did best, which is taking a classic Legion story archetype and re-writing it with 80s storytelling styles. Even though, in retrospect there's not much mystery to who Sensor Girl had to be, nonetheless the period with her as an utterly mysterious character that everyone was unsure of is quite charming. And the Empress's Fatal Five made the story, as well.

7. Conspiracy

Included mostly for the final battle than for the buildup issues (which are actually kind of weak). Poor Lu. Poor Mon. Levitz probably should've ended his run with this issue rather than going on another year, because, in many ways, this is the culmination of the end of the "classic" Legion. Four friends teaming up and potentially sacrificing themselves to take down Superboy's murderer. What a way to go out.

8. The Heroes of Tartarus.
I almost included the original "Legion of Substitute-Heroes" story, but then I realized this has much of what I liked about that tale, plus lots more goodness. As much as anything, it's here to represent the best parts of the TMK era, which were totally rooted in the magic of the Adventure Era.

9. Tangleweb.

Tangleweb was one of the few reboot-introduced villains who was actually interesting, and both of his apperances remain favorites of mine. They both emphasize crucial moments in the nascent Legion's growth as a team. Gim's failure as a leader on the first Tangleweb mission was one of the most interesting things to ever be done with that character, and the second mission's separation of the "powerhouses" of the team from the "weaker" members was well done as well. Even though I eventally got tired of Lyle saving the day in this period, I was glad he got to in this tale.

10. The White Triangle.

That first year of the post-Zero Hour Legion was good fun in a lot of ways, and the over-arching story arc that ran through it of a number of rascist organizations from various planets under the control of a single rascist organization, while it perhaps could've been developed a bit better, is nonetheless a fascinating concept. It also made a nice contrast with the rebooted Legion's "purpose" of being a beacon for interplanetary co-operation. And Roxxas being rebooted as a Daxamite is a fairly terrifying thought in itself.

#85982 12/14/06 03:27 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
This is beyond hard:

Mutiny of the Legionnaires – This may be my favorite Legion tale of all time. Its chock full of great scenes and just *filled* with things happening. All of the Legionnaires in it get a chance to shine and use their power in a unique way that furthers the story and shows their Legionnaire heroism (Cos, Tenzil, etc.). Despite the innate goofiness of Sun Boy’s plight, this still is as classic a Silver Age DC comic that you’ll ever find—and shows how although Marvel was where it was at for pure characterization, DC was where it was at for strait on story-telling. To me, this is *the* archtype for ‘super-hero journey’ stories, and IMO, actually blows ‘Legion Lost’ out of the water (and I did like L-Lost). But this is just pure greatness and I look forward to reading it everytime.

Super Stalag of Space – this tale is so ahead of its time that its still riveting today. If redone today, it could be *the* best sci-fi story on the market. Its just so jam-packed full of things happening, the evil-ness of Nardo, characterization and death on a level unseen in the Silver Age.

Intro Shady/Fatal Five – *THIS* is the best Fatal Five story of them all IMO, and there was never, NEVER, better camaraderie between Legionnaires than in this issue with Val, Cos, Brainy and Superboy, and it was made even better with the addition of Shady, what I consider the greatest ‘intro to a Legionnaire’ story of them all. Swearing her in so they can rush off and die defending Talok VIII…wow…just wow.

Great Darkness Saga – there is a reason this is celebrated as the greatest Legion tale ever

The Legion Academy Issue (LoSH #306) – this is where Levitz truly shined IMO, and this issue is just one of my favorites. Tons of great scenes and characterization, but it’s that final page that does it for me. After an issue of arguing over who should join the greatly depleted ranks of the LSH, we see Giffen’s shots of one dead Legionnaire’s statue after another, while Star Boy’s log reads ‘after a great deal of debate, it was decided that we would rather have no new Legionnaires than another dead one.’. It was Levitz’s way of using the weight of all of Legion history to create a wave of pure emotion in the reader so unexpectedly.

Omen & The Prophet – although the story itself is weak, the characterization exemplifies the Legion during my favorite period and this remains my second favorite Legion story.

TMK Annual #1 – Ultra Boy’s Tale. Possibly the smartest story ever in regards to inter-weaving an extraordinary tale through a complex history (especially a semi-rebooted one). This comic made Ultra Boy one of my favorite Legionnaires of all, and is why ‘dumb jock Ultra Boy’ is simply an intolerable interpretation of the character in any era.

TMK Legion #1 – 13 – the cover to #12 says it all better than I can.

Terra Mosiac – The Subs here showed that people can grow, heroism isn’t always bright and shiny and that there is always hope.

The Chu Sting – To me, this was the Reboot’s shining moment by far. Just one of those times where *everything* comes together and you want to jump out of your seat and cheer along with the Legion.

5 additional favorite that must be included
The Dr. Landro/Meglaro Spy-Ring – despite being Tenzil’s first appearance with a cool guest appearance by Phantom Zone Mon-El, this (to me) is the first full-on Silver Age Legion tale that just really goes ALL OUT, in terms of various Legionnaries being shown, things happening a mile a minute, and a bunch of different types of antagonists that would tickle any sci-fi fan.

First Fatal Five Story/Death of Ferro Lad – by far the most powerful and best death scene of the Silver Age (I’d say in DC’s top five of all time), and just a tightly-written, explosively conceptual story.

The Earth War Saga – Rereading this time and time again still don’t stop me from getting caught up in the excitement of this story. Every Legionnaire show, the return of the married Legionnaires, Khunds, Dominators, the Dark Circle, Wildfire being awesome, the intro of Ambassador Relnic and Shvaughn among others, and the horrifying return of Mordru! I almost put the first Mordru story on my list, because really he’s my favorite Legion villain, but that might have bumped off this awesome Mordru appearance.

The Greatest Hero of Them All – I still get choked up every time, and the way they accomplished it was heart-breakingly beautiful. Mon holding Clark is just one of those panels that hits like a bucket of cold water and a punch in the face. I also find ‘Conspiracy’ to be a great story too, and that stems from the emotional punch of this (but alas, this post is going on long enough laugh ).

Return of the Reboot Legion – DnA’s L-Lost #9-12, Legion World’s, 1st 8-12 issues of V.5. – this run, as it was coming out, was nothing short of breath-taking for these issues. While L-Lost seemed long and boring for awhile, it suddenly picked up needed steam and then month by month we had one great issue after another, culminating in V.5 #1, and then running for another year of great stories, loaded with ‘hell yea!’ moments, great characterization and cool concepts. There was a genuine sense that the Legion was ‘becoming the Legion again’ after years of bad decisions. Of course, later stories probably seemed like a letdown because these early DnA stories were so damn good.

Now don’t get me wrong, I LOVE all Legion eras (well, almost) and I really love Cockrum/Grell issues, but those stories themselves just didn’t do it for me enough to make my top ten, although the art was nothing short of phenomenal. I could easily list 15 more, many from other eras too (man, I love that Wildfire origin issue with the three academy cadets…)

#85983 12/14/06 04:37 PM
A
Active
Active
A
Who is Sensor Girl
Great Darkness
Outlawed Legion
Hunted by Roxxas
Terra Mosaic
Sun-Eater/Death of Ferro Lad
LSH Annual #1 (1982)
Legion of the Damned
Legion Lost (begrudgingly)
LSH #300 tied with Universo Project

#85984 12/14/06 06:58 PM
Leader
Leader
The first ten that occur to me at this moment:

Universo Project - Love seeing Saturn Girl star not only in issue #1, but also as the key for the Legion's victory

Legion Lost - The Tinya revelation may have been obvious to some, but it genuinely shocked me. Monstress' death was also completely devestating, although I didn't like the character much. And Garth's sacrifice was as heroic as you get.

First Mordru Story - So many good moments, including Lu's classic crawl through the tunnel. But my favourite comes from the bit where illusions are attacking Smallville, and Clark is furiously struggling with his decision to not fly into action. His glasses off, the art dark and shadowed, and he says, "This better be an illusion, or..." For me, this moment really shows Clark at his most determined. (Of course, a moment later, the entire town of Smallville dismisses the illusions as some form of mass hysteria!)

Legion Chain Gang / Outlawed Legion - I don't really like Universo all that much, but I guess I like what he puts the Legion through. This story was great because it really made meaningful use of every single cast member, even briefly. And I always loved Adventure-era Invisible Kid leading the Legion.

Widening Rifts - A smaller tale, but I enjoyed seeing the Legion all working really hard on something other than fighting a bad guy

Who is Sensor Girl / Emerald Empress Fatal Five - It's been a while since I read this but I have very fond memories of it. I liked the "new Fatal Five" quite a bit, and found the unfolding of the whole tale to be quite fun

Conclusion to Conspiracy (LSH #50) - I wasn't crazy about the Conspiracy tale, but the conclusion was gratifying, probably because Levitz came up with a brilliant and unexpected solution for defeating the Time Trapper, whom Levitz had built up in a way to make him essentially undefeatable. Pulling out the Infinite Man was a great way to make the Time Trapper take his annoying living embodiment of entropy shtick and go home.

LSH Annual #1 - Return of Computo. For me, Levitz took old concepts and gave me the definitive version of them (LSV, Universo, Time Trapper, and others). This has got to be one of the great self-contained Legion stories. I also liked the new Invisible Kid.

The other LSH Annual #1 - With Ultra Boy's history rewritten in an extremely clever way, and Glorith coming across as an effective villain, perhaps for the only time!

LSH #300 - Another great mostly self-contained story, referencing some of the classic concepts of series all throughout its run. In my mind, the best ever celebration of Legion history.

But there are more as well, especially
Legion of the Damned - This is the story that more than any other really made me feel like the Legion were in a desparate situation. I guess it was because there was a new creative team on board and I didn't know where they were going with things. I really wondered if Garth had died in the first part! But anyway, Garth, Cham, Jenni, and Saturn Girl all gave stand out "performances" in this storyline.

And then other classics like the Great Darkness Saga, the LSV war, early TMK and Terra Mosaic, White Triange, Tangleweb, Planet Hell, Chu Sting, and more. It's a great series!

#85985 12/14/06 11:17 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Oh, this changes everytime I reread and remember some story that was particularly touching or funny.

Super Stalag
Ghost of Ferro Lad
Realm of Darkness: Devil’s Dozen
The Death of Superboy
Earthgov Executes Allen Duo
Earth War
Legend of Valor
The Startling Secret of Wildfire
Conspiracy
Terra Mosaic
Progenitor

#85986 12/14/06 11:20 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Eh, I can't leave out Mordruverse, which would make my list 10 long in base 12.

#85987 12/15/06 12:02 PM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Rereading Xben's, it reminded me how much I loved the Planet Hell storyline in the reboot Legion. Great story!

#85988 12/15/06 01:35 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I was actually underwhelmed by Planet Hell - it seemed like something someone decided was a neat idea, and shoehorned it into a story, but I'll repsect your right to hold a differing opinion.

A lot of great stories have been mentioned here. Truly we have a plethora to choose between!

The childhood friend Exnihil never had.
#85989 12/15/06 10:43 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Piping in to say, PLEASE, EVERYONE-- contribute to this thread! I am really enjoying it and am gaining insight to some stories I wouldn't have considered favorites of mine!

Oh yeah, and to add one more to my list...

The Super-Rejects tale from S/LSH 212.

(I am going to attempt to narrow my list down to 10, with commentary-- soon!)

#85990 12/15/06 11:51 PM
Trap Timer
OP Offline
Trap Timer
Crap! I can't believe I didn't even think about the Super-Rejects tale! It's probably my favorite 70s Legion story, too.

#85991 12/16/06 12:54 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
1. "Violet's Story" I love the detective story, the 'slow build', the focus on Element Lad, Cham and poor Vi (whose image in that sens-tank I still think of randomly, from time to time)

2. "Super Stalag of Space" ADVENTURE LSH at its best. I'm actually surprised there's never been a follow-up.

3. the Devil's Dozen-- aka the Kitchen Sink. Subs, White Witch, great villains (who should've been seen *way* more often), returns of multiple heroes, Sir Prize, Miss Terious, Vi up a nostril... I love this two-parter.

4. the Chu Sting (this storyline deserves a better name...) Invisible Kid became a favorite character in this one-- one of the twistiest of LSH tales that was lots of fun... even if it did reimagine details of one of the ADVENTURE era's greatest hits.

5. Great Darkness... But of course. The page with the Wanderers, Heroes of Lallor, flying army of thousands would qualify this story alone. And it's basically an afterthought.

6. Terra Mosaic... ambitious, dramatic, riveting with moments I hate and love. Chief among them? The subs taken seriously... the dynamics of the SW6 Legionnaires... the interaction between SW6 Element Lad and grown-up Jan Arrah... the issue showing the evacuation of Earth. The hated? Sun Boy's fate... blowing up the Earth (the evacuation would've been just as dramatic if they'd saved the planet, IMO).

7. Annual #1 (Computo)... Great art, mixing characters, a new Invisible Kid, the debut of visuals that say 'Leigon' to this day.

8. Legion Worlds/first few issues of LEGION... most memorable for me was the use of Insect Queen, Invisible Kid, Atmos (a character that I despise in his other iteration), Gates and Brainy. Plus, the introduction of several villains/antagonists that *could've* been interesting if they'd ever reappeared.

9. the spotlight on Star Boy/election issue... I, personally, feel that every LSH election should get this treatment... down to showing us who voted for who with commentary by various characters about why.

10. Who is Sensor Girl?... I wrote the first letter I ever sent to DC guessing Sensor Girl's identity (I thought it was Quantum Queen)... the mystery had me hooked. I think the battle on that millionaire's world with the mostly-female Fatal Five was terrific. Loved the art and the characterization of Emerald Empress and Sensor Girl/Projectra.

So many others that could take the place of many on my list on any given day.

I'd have to say that if the question were favorite *issues*, I'd have to choose Superboy & The Legion of Super-Heroes 202, 205 and 208 because they contained new stories alongside reprints of great ADVENTURE tales, something I completely attribute to making me a Legion fan to this day.

Now, DC would probably consider running reprints alongside new stories a crappy idea. I guess since such an issue would be crossing realities, it would be confusing for someone unversed in LSH lore. Then again, when I first read one of those giant-sized issues, I thought I was reading the adventures of Earth I and Earth II legions and it didn't confuse me too much. In fact, it made me more curious.

Doesn't that curiosity-capture exist anymore? Or is it lost in big guns, big boobs and blood-soaked gore?

#85992 12/16/06 11:36 AM
The Infinite Man--of Gripes! (and--of Space!)
The Infinite Man--of Gripes! (and--of Space!)
My all time favourite Legion story is issue 4 of the 5 Years Later story arc, where it was revealed that Mordru had been destined to rule the universe--but for the rise of the Legion. While very few Legionnaires actually appeared in the issue or were even referred to, I loved the premise that this arc was based upon: namely, faith that persons of good character exist and will come together to combat evil even in the most dystopic of societies.

If the meek shall inherit inherit the Earth, then I at least want Baffin Island - and a property manager to work for me who is made of sterner stuff than I.
#85993 12/16/06 06:40 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Now, some discussion...

Like Todd, I'm certain I owe my LSH rabidness to being exposed to both the slick Grell era and classic Adventure-era reprints at the same time. Those ADV-era classic reprints I read at an early age were:

Super-Stalag, Mordru/Devil's Jury (S/LSH Tabloid), Trial of Star Boy, Outcast/Forgotten Legion, Evil Hand of the Luck Lords and Outlawed Legion (S/LSH 238, was it?) and the Adult Legion "who will live? Marry? DIE?!!? get Bald?!?!" vs. LSV (in some "DC Super-Stars" book or something).

So for me, these stories hold a place very near and dear to my heart and any Legion fan who has never read them just doesn't have a clue at what they are missing out on. This, of course, doesn't mean I'm above making fun of those tales... see any discussion around here about "comics' first (or is that SECOND) gay couple".

My favorite of that bunch goes to the Outcast/Forgotten tale featuring the Devil's Dozen. Oddly, it is the only one of the bunch that isn't written by Shooter.

It's a fun roller-coaster of a story with what I consider the best ending ever. Of ANY comic. Made even nicer as the days were going to get very dark for the LSH shortly thereafter. There is a thread devoted to this story somewhere here; I'll bump it.

70's era; flashy, slick, and sexy.

I mentioned The "Legion of Super-Executioners" tale earlier in S/LSH 205 as a favorite... it isn't that the story is so great, but it does feature early Mike Grell art at his finest and Insect Queen, and is the earliest issue I can remember owning (though I am sure I had 202, too. Can't remember it for sure though.)

S/LSH 212... The Super-Rejects. Several would actually become semi-prominent (mostly as villains), and of course this issue heavily features Tenzil Kem. I couldn't know then that once Giffen and the Bierbaums got ahold of him years later, he would become my favorite Legionnaire!

S/LSH 221... Grimbor and Charma deserve mention. A powerless locksmith and a sizzling siren almost destroyed the Legion.

S/LSH 231... The Fatal 5 want to prevent the LSH from evacuating a planet because when its sun goes nova, the people will be transformed into some priceless mineral or other. With this issue, Levitz makes his ability to choreograph a battle known (as he does again years later with the "Who is Sensor Girl" battle with the Fatal- 4-Femme-5). Absolutely the best of those mostly-so-so "giant-size" S/LSH comics that ran to about issue 243-244ish. With some wicked Nasser art that even Abel's inks couldn't destroy.

More later...

#85994 12/16/06 06:53 PM
Trap Timer
OP Offline
Trap Timer
Originally posted by MLLASH:
Oddly, it is the only one of the bunch that isn't written by Shooter.
Well, other than Super-Stalag and Evil Hand, which were both Hamilton penned... wink

#85995 12/16/06 07:05 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Color me red! ColorKid

#85996 12/16/06 09:05 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
1) Rebirth (5YL Issues #1 through #13)

Okay, let's move the story ahead five years. It looks like a lot of bad stuff happened since we last saw the Legion. That's okay. Cham and a now crippled Rokk have the heart and the spirit to bring the team back together. Oops, wait a minute, Mon El just punched the Time Trapper's lights out and we have to shift to a tragic and beautiful alternate relaity. Lots of almost familiar faces here. Uh oh, we're shifting realities again. Who's that hot chic in the headband and thong? Man, Mysa's in bad shape, but these new kids Kono, Celeste, and Devlin seem like a lot of fun. Oh shucks, Roxxas just killed Blok. Let's all go to Wynath. Some folks are gonna get naked and some are going to get hurt bad. Vi feels so guilty about her role in the war and what it did to Rokk. Roxxas finally gets his butt kicked. Vi and Rokk finally confront their past in one of the most poignent scenes ever published in a comic book. Cham gives everyone new jackets with L's on the sleeves. What's not to love?

2) Legion Lost

The approach of spotlighting one member each issue added to the suspense, and made sure everyone got some good character development. Shakiri was fun. The progeny were frightening. The story was unpredicatble. Jo never looked so sexy. Man, did Saturn Girl really do that? Yeah, but she saved the team didn't she? Wildfire is truly back. Did Monstress just bitch slap Umbra? Omniphagos equals "all eater". Rosetta? Uh oh, Jan really has turned evil.
Poor Candy. What a way to go. Garth slips off his ring and goes gallantly to meet his fate. And in the end, the Legion will never be the same. That took some guts. It really payed off for me.

3) Earth War

A grand story with more than it's share of flaws. The shift in artistic style when Joe Staton took over from James Sherman half way though was jarring. But in the end, they both did beautiful work. Wildfire and Dawnstar stole the show in the early issues, which remain for me their best moments ever. The introductions of Shvaughn and Ambassador Relnic added depth to the supporting cast. The subs got some panel time. I cheered when the married couples jumped into the fray. Khunds, Dominators, the Dark Circle, and Mordru behind it all. Levitz was thinking big and, in spite of a few bumps, managed to pull it off.

4) "Young Romance: The Elements of a Broken Heart" from LSH #31,1992

I know for many fans this one would top their worst list, but it's a favorite of mine. War is hell. Against the backdrop of Earth's final and most deadly war, we get invited along on the personal wars of the young SW-6 Element Lad and
the gender war raging within Science Police officer Shvaughn Erin. The plot revolving around a drug that allows one to change gender and what happens when it becomes unavailable during wartime struck many as silly. I thought is was a legitimate and interesting science fiction concept. As an adolescent I had a weird gay fanboy crush on Element Lad. I totally related to the way Shvaughn was portrayed in this issue, and literally wept when Jan said, "Don't you understand? Anything we ever shared physically... ...It was in spite of the profem, not because of it." Colleen Doran's and Curt Swan's drawings were perfect for the tender heartbreaking story. Bold, gentle, and courageous.

5) "Murder Most Foul" S/LSH # 239 May, 1978

This story accomplished much more than setting up the mystery of who was going to commit one of greatest betrayals in Legion history. It severed as a charactar development vehilcle for both Ultra Boy and Chameleon Boy. It remains my favorite portrayal of Chameleon Boy - intellignet, brave, loyal, steely, and stealth.
I loved the glimpse of Rimbor. The freindship between Phantom Girl and Shadow Lass was simply and powerfully displayed as much through the artwork as the words. Excellent cover, too.

6) Legion of the Damned

This was my first exposure to Coipel's artwork and he quickly became one of my all time favorites. I had been very disappointed in the rebooted Legion. This story signaled a change in direction that I longed for. Mature and gritty again. The Blight scared the pants off me, the pace was fast, and a number of Legionnaires got a chance to shine.

7) "A Day in the Death of a World" S/LSH #231 Sept. 1977

This one might seem like just basic Legion fare. A team sets off to evacuate a world that's sun is about to go nova. The Fatal Five tries to stop them in some power mad scheme. They fight. The Legion wins, but the Five get away. Nothing really spectacular, I guess. One of the things I like about it is the use of the 34 page format. I read a standard comic today in ten minutes. Stories with continuing storylines take months to complete. Back in 1977 the page count for a standard comic was 17 pages. I got really excited when the Legion swithced to "Giant" size. This stroy seemed to have just the right amount of content. To me it shows that a comic book stroy doesn't need to have some spectacular stroyline or gimmack to be entertaining. You have the Legion, the Fatal Five, a Levitz script, and beautiful Sherman art.
Complete satisfaction.

8) Lightning Lad and Saturn Girl Wedding Issue

Garth and Imra finally decide to tie the knot. DC decides to mark the event with a tabloid size special. Mike Grell signs on to do the artwork. The Time Trapper crashes the party. Superboy takes some of his buddies back to 20th century in a time bubble to solve the mystery. Garth and Imra both look great. It doesn't get much better than this.

9) Super Stalag of Space

I'm glad to see so many others have mentioned this one. Lots of suspense. Almost everyone gets in on the action. A solid story.

10) Conspiracy

Again, with a great mystery. Rarely has the Legion set out on such a dangerous mission with such a strong motivation. Never have I rooted for them so strongly or been so frightened for them. A story that draws the reader in like this has to be counted as a success.

Beauty's where you find it. Not just where you bump and grind it.
#85997 12/16/06 11:12 PM
Trap Timer
OP Offline
Trap Timer
Hmm... I'm intrigued by this praise for S/LSH #231, which I've never read!

#85998 12/17/06 03:59 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
EDE-- *DO* seek out S/LSH 231 in the back-issue bins-- it's a hidden treasure.

PLUS-- my "wicked Nasser art" comment re: 231 above must be modified to read "wicked Sherman art", per Jerry's post. This is what happens when you try to use your memory to refer to a comic with 40 years history and myriad reboots. APOLOGIES!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,021
Posts1,045,257
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
Faraway Lad, Kid Charlemagne
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Invisible Man
Invisible Man
Invisible College
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star