Roll Call
0 members (), 124 Murran Spies, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 04/28/24 03:23 PM
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by Ann Hebistand - 04/28/24 11:11 AM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Ann Hebistand - 04/28/24 07:19 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/28/24 02:50 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/28/24 02:49 AM
Legion of Super-Heroes #7 (2020) - Preview and Spoilers
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 10:06 AM
The 2nd All Avengers Thread
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 10:04 AM
So, what are you listening to?
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 06:34 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 14 of 48 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 47 48
Re: Kids
razsolo #858377 07/06/15 10:03 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Looks like things with the Judgment League are going to come to a head soon...

razsolo #858465 07/07/15 12:29 AM
Deputy
Deputy
I really enjoyed the Leeta and Jo resoulutuon. But now i'm even more curious about all those omissions Leeta didn't tell Jo.

Kid C. was spunky. i liked this team up alot.

This Academy night out was fun and cute. You've made Tel much more likeable than other versions of him.

That spying witch Ethel! I hope they don't hurt Shavaung...

Can't wait for more.

read the adventures of the Reboot Legion!

http://www.legionworld.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=001232
razsolo #859981 07/15/15 07:27 AM
R
razsolo Offline OP
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
R
Thanks Omni! I'm glad I picqued your curiosity with the stuff Leeta didn't talk about! Safe to say that Shvaughn's fate is gonna be decided very very soon too!

Last edited by razsolo; 07/15/15 07:27 AM.
New School
razsolo #859989 07/15/15 09:06 AM
R
razsolo Offline OP
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
R
MARS
Husband Hill, Legion of Superheroes Headquarters

ROLL CALL
Brainiac 5 aka Querl Dox: 12th level intelligence

Brainiac 5 stood in his multi-lab dispassionately, posture perfect with his hands behind his back. Before him, a larger than life holographic face held Brainiac’s attention. The face was that of a wrinkled man, his balding scalp barely covered by wisps of white hair. He was Earthgov counsellor Andosen Wilso, and he had more than enough passion to make up for the Coluan Legionnaire’s lack thereof. “Your students can consider themselves extremely fortunate that they are not currently in a prison awaiting trial, Brainiac 5!” Wilso fumed. “Underage drinking, assault on authorised representatives of Earthgov—"

“The story I’ve heard,” Brainiac interrupted, “Is that they’re fortunate to have survived their encounter with the Judgement League at all, Counsellor. Not that it matters now. As soon as the Legion of Superheroes heard about what happened in Metropolis, we of course opened our home to the Legion Academy. Saturn Girl and Lightning Lad are settling everybody in as we speak, and on a personal note I must admit that I feel much more relaxed knowing that two of my oldest friends and their charges are safely away from the toxic environment Earth has become in recent days.”

“You arrogant Coluan—“

Brainiac 5 once again cut him off. “And now I see your general rude demeanour is teetering toward bigotry. I’d like to say I’m surprised, but regrettably that would be a lie. Good day, Counsellor.” Before the Earth man could reply, Brainiac shut off communications. He stood there a moment longer, considering the current situation on Earth and wondering how bad things needed to get there before the Legion could justifiably step in. When Saturn Girl had told him about her students’ confrontation with the Judgement League teens, Brainiac 5 really had been more than happy to invite the Legion Academy to move its operations to Mars. The Legion’s headquarters was more than large enough for the two groups to co-exist, and he’d already begun to hatch future plans that would benefit both the Legion and the Academy. Still, it was only a matter of time until the Judgement League again endangered the Legion’s friends and family on Earth and the Legion couldn’t bring all their loved ones here for protection.

Sometimes, Brainiac 5 sighed wistfully, having a 12th level intellect just means you can conceive of so many more ways for things to go wrong.

ROLL CALL
Legion Academy:

Lightning Lad aka Garth Ranzz: electricity generation and manipulation
Saturn Girl aka Imra Ardeen Ranzz: telepathy

Legion of Superheroes:
Light Lad aka Darvan Locke:
anti-gravity control
Lightning Lass aka Ayla Ranzz: electricity generation and manipulation

In a residential wing of the Legion’s base, Darvan Locke carried in a pile of boxes almost as tall as himself and lowered them gently to the floor of Garth and Imra Ranzz’s new living room. Garth and Imra followed suit while Ayla Ranzz chased her hyperactive nephews around the quarters. Every time she tagged Graym or Garridan she emitted the tiniest spark of electricity and the boys screamed with delight at the harmless jolt.

“Thank you again for helping us with the move,” Imra smiled. “We could have used droids of course, but we do appreciate the gesture.”

“Yeah, thanks pal.” Garth clasped a friendly hand on Darvan’s arm. “Your help was invaluable, unlike some people.” He directed that last remark at his twin sister with mocking derision.

“Hey, he’s the one with the anti-gravity powers!” Ayla protested. “I haven’t called myself Light Lass for a while now, ya know. Besides, someone has to keep these little monsters under control!” She zapped Graym again and the young boy squealed with laughter.

“I know you’re just playing, but I really wish you wouldn’t abuse your powers like that.” Imra looked concerned. “I don’t want the boys to be complacent around electricity, Ayla.”

“Oh Imra, relax.” Ayla rolled her eyes. “Have some faith in your kids! They know electricity is dangerous, don’t you boys? It’s only fun when I do it because I’m your favourite aunt, right?”

“Yeah!” Graym shouted exuberantly. “Relax, Mommy!”

“Auntie Jancel’s my favourite aunt!” Garridan added cheekily.

“What?!” Ayla gasped melodramatically. “Oh that’s it buster, I’m upgrading the threat level to tickling. C’mere you!” She chased both shrieking boys into their bedroom, leaving the other adults alone together.

Imra shook her head disapprovingly but said nothing. “I know that look,” Garth pecked his wife on the cheek. “Come on, you know Ayla would never hurt the boys.” Imra gave a non-committal mumble and began unpacking the nearest box.

“What do the other kids think of the move?” Darvan asked, changing the subject. “The students, I mean.”

“None of them were particularly happy about it,” Garth answered. “Glorith never complains of course, and I think Variable Lad would be excited about moving to the middle of the asteroid belt if we told him it was a good idea, but the others aren’t really on side with it. Poor Kid Quantum only finished unpacking on Earth a couple of days ago and now she’s had to uproot again already!”

“The important thing is the students are safer here,” Imra added. “And so are Garridan and Graym. Honestly, with the current climate on Earth I’m glad our family have moved, sad as it is to say. That world has been my home since I was in my mid-teens and I barely recognise what it’s become.”

“Earthgov will come to their senses,” Garth countered. “Their current path is unsustainable. If nothing else, Earth-Man’s gonna show his true colors sooner or later.”

“Of that I have no doubt,” Imra agreed. “I just hope by the time they really need our help, they’re ready to ask for it.”

ROLL CALL
Legion Academy:

Dragonwing aka Marya Pai: acid venom, fire breath
Glorith: sorceress
Gravity Kid aka Tel Vole: gravity manipulation
Kid Quantum aka Jazmin Cullen: quantum field manipulation
Laurel Kent: indestructible

Legion of Superheroes:
Chlorophyll Kid aka Ral Benem:
hyper-stimulated plant growth
Comet Queen aka Grava: flight, gas generation
Matter-Eater Lad aka Tenzil Kem: can eat inorganic matter in all its forms
Nightwind aka Berta Skye Haris: wind control

“Those squajes are asking for it!” In her own room, the student named Dragonwing punched her fist into her palm. “I can’t believe Saturn Girl and Lightning Lad just caved in like that! We should have stayed and—“

“And what?” Gravity Kid asked wearily as his control over gravity sent heavy boxes floating around the room. He’d agreed to help his fellow students settle in to their new quarters but he was beginning to regret that now, Marya hadn’t stopped ranting about the Judgement League since they’d left Earth. “If it weren’t for the Legion of Substitute Heroes we’d be in jail right now…or worse! What exactly do you expect that Lightning Lad, Saturn Girl and a bunch of teenage superhero wannabes can do against the full force of the Judgement League, Dragonwing?”

“I don’t know!” She kicked a box of clothes and sent it flying across the room. “But I’ve never run from a fight in my life! Why should I start now?!”

“Don’t think of it as running,” the elder boy replied. “Think of it as a tactical retreat. We’re not leaving those nasses to ruin our homeworld, Marya. We’re buying ourselves time and distance to find a way to beat them.”

In Kid Quantum’s quarters next door, the young Xanthui heroine turned to her fellow student Glorith. “Is Dragonwing this angry all the time?” she asked in a hushed tone.

“You don’t know the half of it!” Laurel Kent called out from across the room. “Angry is Dragonwing’s default setting!” Accompanied by Comet Queen and Nightwind, Laurel had taken it upon herself to make sure Glorith and Kid Quantum settled in here okay. In the short space of time she’d known Glorith, Laurel had come to realise the young sorceress was painfully shy. Left to her own devices she’d never leave her room except to train. Laurel didn’t know anything about the new girl from Xanthu, but Kid Quantum was easily the youngest student in the class. Laurel figured the kid could benefit from a couple of older girls befriending her.

“I have observed that she is quite passionate,” Glorith added diplomatically.

“It’s so so shiny that we’re all together again!” Comet Queen beamed. She pulled Laurel into a smothering hug. “This is hypernova cosmic!”

“I missed you too,” Laurel laughed. “But geez Grava, it’s a good thing I’m indestructible or you’d be squeezing the life outta me right now.” She stepped back from her friend and brushed a stray hair from her steel blue eyes. “Anyway, it’s not like we’re together together…I mean you’re Legionnaires now, and I’m still on the kids’ table.” She smiled across at Glorith and Kid Quantum. “No offence, guys.”

“Well maybe you should have picked yourself a proper superhero name,” Nightwind replied sardonically. “Grife Laurel, you’ll never make the Legion if you don’t even have a codename!”

“What am I supposed to call myself?” the raven-haired teen poked her tongue out. “Supergirl? I think I’ve got a distant cousin who might object to that.”

“Speaking of which,” Nightwind asked, “Isn’t that gonna be weird for both of you living under the same roof? I mean Supergirl has to go back to her own time sooner or later, isn’t there some kind of conflict—“

Comet Queen and Nightwind’s flight rings both beeped at them before the conversation could continue. “Nightwind, Comet Queen, could you two please meet Color Kid and Polar Boy in the hangar?” It was Phantom Girl’s voice. “The scientific outpost on Ceres has just gone offline, we’ve been asked to check it out.”

“We’ll be there tachyon quick!” Comet Queen grinned. “Bye Starshine!” She pulled Laurel into a final hug then blew a kiss at the younger girls. “Bye you cute little stargleams! We’ll take you exploring when we get back, ‘kay?”

“It was nice to properly meet you both,” Nightwind addressed Glorith and Kid Quantum more sedately. “Seeya around, Kent!”

“You’d better go,” Laurel smirked. “Your Legion buddy’s leaving you in the dust.”

Nightwind turned to see a swiftly evaporating gas trail where Comet Queen had been standing an instant before. “Grava!” she called out to her friend. “Grava! Hey, wait for me!”

Propelled by her flight ring, Nightwind pursued the golden girl through the corridors of their headquarters. She soon caught sight of her and called out her name once more. Giggling, Grava turned her head to tease Berta but she didn’t change her flight path. Before Nightwind could warn her, Comet Queen careened into Chlorophyll Kid exiting the Legion’s gymnasium. The two tumbled together in a yelping heap before they came to rest entangled halfway down the corridor. Having seen the collision, Matter-Eater Lad hung around nearby to watch with a bemused expression on his face.

“G-gosh, I-I’m so sorry! S-s-so c-clumsy of me, I h-hope you’re okay!” A flustered Ral Benem clambered to his feet and offered Grava a hand. Drenched in sweat, he was wearing shorts and a singlet in place of his distinctive costume and it took Grava a second to recognise him.

Comet Queen simply burst into laughter as she allowed him to help her stand up. When she saw the crestfallen look on the blond hero’s face, she composed herself. “Oh Starshine, it wasn’t your fault! I should have zipped when I zapped!”

Nightwind approached and hovered in place before the duo. “Grava, if you’re done putting our teammates in hospital, can we go now? Mission, remember?”

“Nova-burn!” Comet Queen grabbed Chlorophyll Kid by the shoulders and planted a kiss on his cheek. “Gotta fly, later cutie!”

The two girls continued on their way, leaving a stupefied Chlorophyll Kid behind them. “...Cutie..?” He touched his cheek in a daze and looked across at Matter-Eater Lad.

Tenzil shrugged and gave Ral a cheeky wink. “Don’t ask me, cutie. That girl’s in a universe all of her own.”

“Yeah…” Ral watched her gas trail fade with a growing smile. “...She kinda is, isn’t she..?”

EARTH
Metropolis, Sherman Way Residential Complex

Shvaughn Erin massaged the back of her neck as she exited the turbolift which had taken her 27 stories above the crowded walkways below to where her apartment awaited her after the end of a gruellingly long day. She’d been too tired to change clothes at work and still wore her Science Police uniform, her helmet under her arm. All she wanted right now was a sonic shower and at least six hours of solid sleep. As she approached her featureless front door, security biometrics recognised her immediately and the door slid into a recess to grant her entry. Every light in her windowless apartment was programmed to switch on as the door opened, and climate control software automatically adjusted the room temperature to suit her. “Shower, level 3.5,” she announced to the open space as she walked toward her bathroom.

“We’d better do this now, eh?” A man’s voice almost made Shvaughn jump out of her skin. Intensive training overcame exhaustion and she reached for her firearm even as she spun to face the voice’s owner.

“If you draw your weapon we will kill you,” a second more sepulchral voice intoned.

Shvaughn didn’t need to see the men to know who they were, their ancient New Zealander accents gave them away instantly. With exaggerated caution, she turned to face her surprise Judgement League guests. Bow was a tall man; white-skinned, bald and lean muscle from head to toe. He carried his namesake weapon in one hand, an arrow ready to be notched. Black Dagger was the visual opposite; a short stocky musclebound man with skin the color of chocolate. His black leather outfit was lined with dozens of small ebony blades, three of them held in one fist between his fingers. “Didn’t want you to think we’re pervs,” Black Dagger continued. “Couldn’t have you gettin’ your gear off for a shower with two strange blokes standin’ right there, doesn’t seem right.”

“As opposed to breaking into my home?” Shvaughn countered, her voice trembling with outrage. “Or threatening me? That seems right?”

“We got some questions for ya, luv.” Black Dagger took the conversational lead while Bow stood silent and imposing, his eyes boring through her. “See, one of our mates reckons she saw you talkin’ to some people you shouldn’t have been talkin’ to. She reckons you might know somethin’ about an unfortunate run-in our younger friends had with these people the other night. When Ethel told our boss Earth-Man what she reckons she saw…let’s just say he wasn’t very happy about it, was he Bow?”

Bow didn’t move an inch, his piercing glare making Shvaughn more uncomfortable by the second.

“Don’t look so scared, luv!” Black Dagger laughed, and Shvaughn hated herself for the fear underlying her anger. “We’re not gonna kill you…we’re all protectin’ the same planet, right? But me and my friend here….we just got some questions. That’s all.” He held his fist up before him, Shvaughn’s wide emerald eyes fixing on those blades.

...The door to her apartment whooshed shut behind her.

Last edited by razsolo; 07/15/15 09:12 AM.
Re: New School
razsolo #859992 07/15/15 09:24 AM
R
razsolo Offline OP
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
R
EDITOR'S NOTES FOR THE ABOVE:

Waaaaay back when Night Girl had just become team leader, she & Brainiac 5 had a meeting with three Earthgov representatives. One of them was the same Andosen Wilso Brainy just had a chat with, and at the time Wilso was trying to get the Legion to accept Earth-Man as a member. I mean that's probably just a coincidence that he's popped up again now though... wink

Recent readers may remember Star Boy offering Jazmin Cullen a spot at the Legion Academy after she saved everyone's asses from the Khunds. I guess she took him up on it, huh? smile

Last edited by razsolo; 07/15/15 09:25 AM.
razsolo #859994 07/15/15 09:41 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Tickled pink to see the Academy students safe and Kid Q AND Laurel Kent both among their numbers.

Shvaughn has always been a favorite (my own fic should show that wink ) so am scared for her and eager to see what happens next!

razsolo #860643 07/19/15 04:09 AM
R
razsolo Offline OP
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
R
I am gonna have some fun with having the Academy closer to hand, if you're happy about Laurel being around you might be pleased to know she in particular is about to get some focus smile

As for Shvaughn...well she's not in for fun times but you'll have to keep reading to find out how bad it gets...*cue dramatic music*

razsolo #860950 07/20/15 03:27 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Gosh, I've missed loads in the last few weeks and it hasn't helped my phone was broke so I couldn't catch up while travelling to and from work. that said, I've just had a thoroughly enjoyable marathon catch up now though and I feel like I've just read a trade! Great stuff Raz.

Loved Jo finally catching Leeta and learning her back story, there were so many delicious elements to it I kind of wanted it to go on, though I know it's probably for the best that you keep some details to yourself for now. Using Gas Girl like that was really Silver Age, good fun and clever of Jo to plan it, and just as well given how dangerous Leeta proved to be.

The academy kids and the subs were fun, Dragonwings default setting being 'angry' made me laugh and you really captured her well, I've had her mellow a bit in my fic but maybe I should follow your lead as she was my favourite in the academy posts. Gravity Kid was well written too as the voice of reason/boring old fart smile

Poor Shauvgn, I just know things aren't going to work out well for her. Though im hoping that as Black Dagger and Bow were kind of respectful, not waiting for the chance to watch her undress and not killing or torturing her on sight, maybe they're looking to escape from Earth Mans League? Whatever you've planned I'm sure it'll be great Raz.

Loads of fun, as ever, looking forward to more, more, more!

Legion Worlds NINE - wait, there's even more ongoing amazing adventures? Yup, and you'll only find them in the Bits o' Legionnaire Business Forum.
razsolo #861235 07/22/15 01:23 AM
Deputy
Deputy
I love the idea to have the Academy move to Mars. its a great idea.

Alya and the boys was so cute and Imra... i'm with Alya relax.

Gravity kid really is growing on me. i like his voice of reason.

Grava and Ral's scene was cute.

I'm honestly scared for Shauvung. i hope they don't hurt her too bad.

looking foward to more.

Harbinger #861264 07/22/15 09:02 AM
R
razsolo Offline OP
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
R
Thanks guys! laugh

Glad you liked Leeta's backstory Harbi...like IB said, I think we have probably explored that enough for now but it's definitely one of the million story ideas bouncing around my head that I hope to get to some day wink

I actually like the way you write Dragonwing! I think it makes sense that once she's given the responsibility of being a Legionnaire she'd chill out a bit...she is fun to write as a powderkeg though admittedly smile

I had heaps of fun writing Ayla and the kids, I think she would be an awesome aunt! I am glad you liked Grava and Ral too Omni...she is always fun to write as well.

Seems everyone loves Shvaughn! I guess we'll see how popular I remain after my next instalment then * insert evil laugh* wink

First Blood
razsolo #861801 07/26/15 12:07 AM
R
razsolo Offline OP
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
R
EARTH
Metropolis, Sherman Way Residential Complex

Shvaughn Erin’s heart pounded in her chest so loud she was surprised that the two murderers standing before her couldn’t hear it. Her exhaustion of only moments ago had been replaced by an adrenaline surge, and she frantically went through her available options while attempting to appear as outwardly calm as possible.

Bow and Black Dagger were two of the few members of the Judgement League with no metahuman powers. They were masters of their respective weapons though, and in her role as the League’s Science Police liaison officer Shvaughn had personally seen the men take down more powerful opponents. Shvaughn knew she’d be lucky to survive an encounter with one of the men in straight combat, she had no hope against them both. Bow had already threatened to kill her if she drew her firearm and he was not a man prone to hyperbole.

There was no way she’d live long enough to call the Science Police for help. She knew the Legion of Superheroes would rush to her aid if she called, Earthgov’s laws be damned. Even Mon-El wouldn’t make it from Mars to Earth faster than Black Dagger could plunge a blade through her skull though. No, Shvaughn was going to have to get herself out of this mess.

“You said you had some questions,” she said curtly. “What are they?”

“That group of rejects,” Black Dagger answered. “What are they called again, the Substitute Heroes? How long have you been working with ‘em?”

Now that he could see Shvaughn was cooperating, Black Dagger relaxed his stance a little. Bow didn’t, but that didn't surprise Shvaughn. The man carried himself in a state of permanent tension. This was going to be as good a chance as any. The Maori knifeman opened his mouth to continue, and Shvaughn seized the moment. “Lights out!” she hissed, at the same time swinging the Science Police helmet she’d been carrying. The room was instantly enveloped in pitch blackness, as dark as anything Shadow Lass might summon. Having committed the Leaguers’ positions to memory, Shvaughn flung the helmet and heard a satisfying crack as it hit its target, Bow’s hairless skull. Bow grunted, and Shvaughn knew she hadn’t seriously hurt him but she hoped she’d dazed him for long enough to prevent him from shooting his weapon.

Black Dagger on the other hand was impeded only by the darkness and it made him just slightly less deadly than usual. “Lights on!” he bellowed as Shvaughn felt a dagger whoosh perilously close to her cheek. While he cursed the voice-coded technology for ignoring his command, Shvaughn took advantage of her intimate knowledge of her own apartment to dive behind a coffee table. She drew her gun now and fired not at the two men, but at where she knew the wall-mounted manual control for her front door would be set into the wall. Shvaughn had no doubt she could take out one or the other of the two men, but the flash of the blast would give away her position and whomever was left standing would kill her before she could take a second shot. Its control panel shorted, the door immediately whooshed open and Shvaughn bolted for the light of the corridor outside. Her greatest advantage here was that Earth-Man had snatched these men from centuries in the past. Technology which Shvaughn took for granted every day of her life was an unknown quantity to Bow and Black Dagger, she could use that.

Just as she’d hoped, Black Dagger ran after Shvaughn at the same time fire suppression foam sprayed forth from a hidden port in the ceiling to smother the sparks shooting forth from her apartment’s wall. The foam hit him dead in the face while he let fly with another flying blade, and Shvaughn cried out as the knife took a gash out of her thigh. Even blinded he nearly crippled me! she realised fearfully.

While Black Dagger coughed and spluttered, Shvaughn stopped at the turbolift and stared into its electronic eye until a melodic ding told her the passenger capsule was on its way. She stared back the way she’d come and saw a neighbour’s door slide open. “Get back inside!” Shvaughn barked at the elderly man emerging. “Call the Science Police and don’t come out!” When he saw her uniform his eyes widened and he hastily disappeared inside his apartment once more. Behind him, Black Dagger was swearing and wiping foam from his eyes. Behind him, Bow drew his namesake weapon and nocked an arrow. There was enough of a height difference between the two men that Bow could shoot over his partner’s shoulder without putting Black Dagger in any danger at all. Bow's face was stony while he pulled his arm back, and Shvaughn’s green eyes widened as she saw his arrow fly. She barely registered the sound of the turbolift door opening, but dived into a roll as soon as she did hear it. Silently praising her SP-honed reflexes, Shvaughn saw the shaft blur by the open door as she came to a crouching rest at the back of the lift. She released a relieved breath which turned into a startled yelp when the arrow impossibly changed its course and came straight at her through the closing turbolift door. It wedged tight in the closed door, shaking furiously as it edged closer toward the young woman.

“Science Police override!” Shvaughn’s voice trembled, her eyes transfixed on the seemingly living weapon. “Code red, bypass all residential levels for ground exit!” Like every other publicly accessible turbolift on the planet, this one was programmed to obey the voiceprint of any Earth-based Science Police officer and with only the slightest noticeable sensation, Shvaughn was on the move. The arrow snapped off dramatically as soon as the capsule took off, the broken shaft somersaulting through the air to wedge into the wall above Shvaughn’s head. She slumped on the floor, took a breath to steady herself and called the Science Police. The automated answering service answered as Shvaughn had expected, and she identified herself and requested backup.

*breep*request filed, response pending termination of training drill*breep* the robotic voice responded.

“What??” Shvaughn protested. “No! This isn’t a drill! My name is Shvaughn Erin, I’m requesting backup immediately! Home in on—“ She stopped mid-sentence. Of course. Bow and Black Dagger might be from the ancient past, but even back then they’d been professional killers. If you’re going to kill a cop, she thought bitterly, you’re going to need to make sure other cops don’t come running to the rescue. They’ve probably got this whole sprocking city block on the ignore list…any calls that come through are going to be assumed to be part of the same damn training exercise!

Shvaughn knew she’d be able to override the ignore list, but she’d need a minute to do that and it was a minute she couldn’t spare. She considered terminating the communication, but thought better of it. If it comes down to it, she decided grimly, this recording might be the only evidence Dvron has to finally get Earthgov to take a stand against Earth-Man’s gang of thugs.

The turbolift announced it had reached its destination, and Shvaughn hastily applied a regen patch to her leg wound and stood up. The bloody gash hurt, but another couple of inches lower and Black Dagger would have taken out her knee. While she was considering how much worse things could be, the door opened and Shvaughn was stunned to see Black Dagger standing directly in front of her with a wide grin. “How—?”

“Come on now luv.” He grabbed Shvaughn by the throat with one hand and choked her, dragging her to the back of the lift and slamming her up against the wall. To her credit, Shvaughn overcame her initial shock almost instantly and pushed the barrel of her gun against his abdomen. With his free hand, Black Dagger drove a blade through her wrist. Shvaughn screamed in agony as the momentum of his strike forced the gun to fire wild. She dropped the gun, stars of pain exploding before her eyes. “You forget your mates aren’t the only ones with flight rings, eh?”

She had indeed forgotten, and Shvaughn cursed herself for it; like the Legion of Supervillains before them, the Judgement League had recently succeeded in duplicating the flight rings worn by the Legion of Superheroes and their allies. “We didn’t know if you were goin’ up or down so we split up,” Black Dagger explained. "Personally, I reckon you’re lucky you didn’t take the roof. Bow’s not as forgiving as me.”

With her one functioning hand, Shvaughn groped ineffectually at Black Dagger's face. He was much stronger than her, she knew there was no way she’d be able to pry his fingers from her throat. If she could just reach his eyes though, she might be able to make him release her with a well-placed gouge. Black Dagger slapped her hand away almost casually. “Y’know, I actually like you,” he complimented her. “You’re a tough bird. You’ve sided with the wrong crew though luv, and we will kill you if ya don't see the error of your ways and tell us everything you been up to behind our backs.”

Shvaughn suddenly realised what she needed to do. She reached above her head, ignoring his crushing grip and the pain shooting through her. Clawing blindly, she came across what she was looking for. Shvaughn’s fist closed around the broken arrow lodged into the wall of the lift, she yanked it free and she plunged it into the thick wrist strangling the life out of her. Black Dagger roared in pain and released her, and Shvaughn snapped the arrowhead off in his arm. “How’s it feel, you sprocking squaj?” she rasped as she staggered away from him.

Bitch!” Black Dagger pulled one of his many other weapons from its sheath and lunged at her. He was just as skilled with either hand, and the blade came down between two of Shvaughn’s ribs where it failed to penetrate the more resistant body armour covering her torso. Not missing a beat, Shvaughn grabbed her gun from the floor and smashed it across Black Dagger’s temple. He fell back against the opposite wall, blood trickling down his cheek.

“Science Police override!” Shvaughn grimaced. "Code red, bypass all residential levels for rooftop exit!” She jumped through the closing door of the lift and landed in a heap outside while multiple blood-curdling thunks hit the door behind her.

“Nass, are you alright?”

Shvaughn looked up from where she was bleeding out on the floor, and for the first time she saw that there were over a dozen sentients filling the building’s lobby. “Go…” she pleaded weakly. “Get out of here!” She struggled to clamber to her feet.

“She’s a Science Police officer!” a green-skinned teenager gasped.
“We have to help her!” a mother of two stepped forward.
“Somebody call the SP!” a thickly accented voice called from the back of the group.

“No…” Shvaughn bit her lip and forced herself to stand upright. “No!” she commanded with more authority. “If you’re seen to be helping me…these people will kill you. Anybody here, especially anybody of non-Terran origin…for your own safety, you need to leave. You need to leave now.”

Hesitantly the concerned onlookers backed away and Shvaughn took a look at her wrist. The dagger still jammed through her slender arm was slowing her blood loss, but it didn’t stop the bleeding completely. The wound was too great for her SP-issue regen patch, she was going to need hospitalisation for this. She limped outside the building, figuring she should be able to lose herself in the Metropolis crowds. She didn’t know where she’d go from there, something told her she wasn’t going to make it back to SP Headquarters. Maybe she could get in touch with the Subs. She didn’t really want to involve them for their own sake but—

“Officer Erin!”

Shvaughn looked up to see the Legion of Substitute Heroes descending from on high, the city’s neon lights behind them. Porcupine Pete, Polecat, Antennae Lad and Rainbow Girl landed nearby while Crystal Kid rushed to help her stand. “You really have been attacked!” the younger hero stated the obvious.

“What are you doing here?” Shvaughn asked. “It’s too dangerous for you to be here, don’t you know they’re looking for you..?”

“We thought you could use some help,” Antennae Lad replied. “I was scanning the near future for broadcasts of anything that might need the Subs’ attention and picked up a whole heap of signals talking about some kind of disturbance at this complex. I’m sorry we couldn’t get here sooner Officer Erin, by the time I got the team together—“

“It doesn’t matter,” Shvaughn interrupted. “Now that you’re here, let’s—“ Her voice ended in a loud wet gurgle as an arrow came out of nowhere and pierced her throat, spraying Crystal Kid in blood. Shvaughn instantly collapsed.

“What the sprock happened?!” Antennae Lad rushed to her side, Crystal Kid standing in mute shock.

“We need to get her to a hospital!” Polecat shouted. The crowd around them panicked, running from the scene as they screamed in terror.

Porcupine Pete came close, though was careful to keep a safe distance from his teammates. “She’s not going to make it to a hospital,” Pete said grimly.

“But what the sprock happened?!” Antennae Lad cried out again, almost hysterical. “There’s nobody behind her! Who shot that arrow?!”

“Chee, it doesn’t matter!” Pete snapped at him. “If we don’t do something now, she’s going to die right in front of us! Crystal Kid, can your power help?” The white-haired youth was still catatonic. Of all of them, only he had been standing directly in front of Shvaughn when the arrowhead pierced her throat. Pete called his name again, and when there was still no response Pete jabbed him in the arm with his quills.

The pricking sensation brought Crystal Kid out of his daze and he stood over the unconscious redhead. Her face was deathly white and her breathing was agonising to hear. “I can do this,” he mumbled more to himself than anyone around him. “I can do this.” He spread two shaking hands over Shvaughn, and a second later she was transformed into twinkling crystal.

“Thanks kid,” a voice cut in from above. “Looks like you did our job for us. Now we just gotta finish you lot off as well.” Black Dagger was descending from the building’s roof, a strip of his vest having been cut off and tied around his wrist as a makeshift tourniquet. Behind him, Bow readied another of his arrows to fire.

“Stay away from us!” Rainbow Girl stood protectively before the rest of her team as they moved to guard Shvaughn.

Bow released his arrow without a word. Before it traversed more than a foot, Rainbow Girl frowned and the weapon dissipated into a multi-colored spectrum of light. “Shouldn’t have done that,” Black Dagger shook his head at her. He drew two blades and hurled them down at the heroine’s breast.

The two blades suffered the same fate as his teammate’s arrow. “Keep throwing them at me,” Rainbow Girl snarled, “I’ll keep transforming them to light.”

“You creeps seem to like pointy things,” Porcupine Pete hovered up to meet the men on their level. “Here, have a bunch of them.” He spread his arms wide and a flood of quills rained upon the men. Neither Bow nor Black Dagger wore armoured costumes, and both men cried out as they were pierced countless times. “Their flight rings,” Pete instructed. “Take their flight rings, Dori.”

As much as they were in painful discomfort, Bow and Black Dagger had both already drawn their weapons again. Dual rainbow flashes claimed the rings from their fingers and they plummeted some fifteen feet to the ground below before they could attack again. Black Dagger bellowed as the impact drove dozens of quills deeper into his flesh, and even the more stoic Bow grunted loudly.

While the concussed men tried to find the least painful way to climb to their feet, Polecat approached and kneeled down beside them. “The Legion of Superheroes may not be here to keep an eye on you,” he said to them in a voice taut with anger. “But don’t think for a second that this planet is unprotected from the likes of you.” His own power came into effect, noxious odour wafting over Bow and Black Dagger. They groaned helplessly, struggling not to throw up where they lay. “The Legion of Substitute Heroes is watching you all,” the unlikely hero finished.

He returned to his teammates and looked down at the eerily frozen Science Police Officer at their feet. “Is she going to be alright?” Polecat asked. “There’s so much blood…that arrow went straight through her neck!”

“I don’t know,” Pete bowed his head. “But if we stay here much longer, we’re not going to be any better off ourselves. Polecat, Antennae Lad, can you help Crystal Kid carry Officer Erin? My quills…” He held out his arms, showing the spiny protuberances that jutted out of every inch of his flesh. New quills were already pushing their way forward to replace the ones he’d shot at the Judgement Leaguers.

“Don’t worry Pete, we’ve got it. Come on guys, let’s go.” The three men hefted Shvaughn carefully and coordinated their flight to carry her away. Porcupine Pete followed, and Rainbow Girl cast one final look back at Bow and Black Dagger before joining her teammates. The hatred in their eyes was an almost palpable force.

This was nowhere near over.

MARS

Brainiac 5 strolled through his multi-lab checking on various holographic readouts as he made his way from one workstation to the next. In truth, one of the more tedious parts of his day was fact-checking the programs he had set up to monitor progress on any number of theoretical or practical experiments he ran here. With a 12th level intellect he was more than capable of the multi-tasking necessary to monitor every one of these studies without outside assistance, but he’d learned at a very young age that it was more efficient to delegate the responsibility so that a record could be created for the reference of anyone else without him needing to take more time out of his day to dictate notes. He’d toyed with the idea of using psitech some time ago to make a record directly from his own thoughts, but the unfortunate truth was that no psitech existed capable of keeping pace with Querl Dox's super-computer mind.

“Brainiac 5.”

The Coluan hypergenius nearly dropped his omnicom in fright. His other hand moving instantly to his forcefield belt controls, he turned to face the intruder and recognised her instantly. “I won’t ask how you got in here as I strongly suspect that would be an exercise in futility, but what are you doing here 89?”

The leader of the Oversight Watch handed the leader of the Legion of Superheroes a thumbnail drive. “As I’m sure you’re aware, Ultra Boy recently visited me at my own base.” 89 couldn’t tell from Brainiac’s lack of reaction whether he’d already known about Ultra Boy’s meeting with her, or if the Coluan just didn’t care. “There’s been bad blood between our teams, and he asked me for a gesture of faith to prove that we’re on the level so you people will let us get on with our business. That’s our gesture of faith.”

“What is on this drive?” Brainiac asked suspiciously, examining the minuscule drive.

“I was originally going to give it to Ultra Boy,” she answered. “But my operatives went to no small amount of effort to recover this information, and knowing what it is I thought it would be best to cut out the middleman and come straight to you.”

“I ask again, what is on this drive?” he repeated.

“Some very enlightening information that I think will help you get back into Earthgov’s good graces, if that’s what you want. There’s enough there for my team to make a move, but I want to show that we can work toward the same goals without butting heads so I’m giving this one to you. Do the right thing with it, and the Oversight Watch won’t have to.”

“Hmm.” Brainiac 5 took his eyes away from the drive to look back at 89, but she was already gone. “Funny way you have of earning trust,” he muttered to the now empty multi-lab.

“Now let’s see what we have on here…"

Re: First Blood
razsolo #861819 07/26/15 12:59 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Oh sprock! What an action sequence that was. Shvaughn did great getting that far on her own. Nice seeing her concern for the bystanders. Great job from the Subs, they all pulled their weight and Rainbow Girl In particular no pun intended

Why do I feel that 89's gift contains incriminating evidence on the Judgment League?

Re: First Blood
razsolo #863095 08/03/15 06:46 AM
R
razsolo Offline OP
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
R
Glad you liked it IB, I wanted to hit a good balance of Shvaughn being outgunned without making her a pushover smile

89's little visit to Brainy should bear fruit very soon too so you won't have long to wait there!

JUDGEMENT WAR Part 1 of 2: Declare Independence
razsolo #864274 08/11/15 08:05 AM
R
razsolo Offline OP
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
R
MARS

As the door to the Legion of Superheroes’ hangar closed behind him, a frustrated Polar Boy huffed out a cloud of steam which instantly evaporated. "Well that was a bust," he complained to the trio of Legionnaires who’d just accompanied him back from the dwarf planet Ceres. “I can’t believe Brainiac 5 sent us out to the edge of the solar system just to deal with some sprockin’ gremlins!"

“Really?" Nightwind retorted, obviously annoyed. “Because you’ve not been able to believe that particular fact since we left Ceres, it’s amazing that you’re still having trouble with it! And they’re called urks, not gremlins! It’s not their fault they have to eat electronics to survive, Polar Boy!"

“I think they’re shiny!” Comet Queen took to the air, her trail shimmering behind her. “Total cosmic cuties, just like little Urk who used to orbit the Academy with us! Come on Nightwind, I’ll race you to Laurel’s room and we can tell her all about them! It’ll parse her to the C-Span!”

Nightwind cast a disdainful glance at Polar Boy and followed her golden-skinned friend. “Gladly,” she replied flatly. “See you around, Color Kid.”

Color Kid beamed a satisfied grin as the two girls flew away. “You know, I really like that girl!” he said cheerily.

“Oh sure,” Polar Boy sulked. “Of course you’d take her side. Maybe I should start wearing skintight black leather too.”

Ulu gave an exaggerated look of horror to his shorter teammate. “Please don’t.”

The two men shared a chuckle. Things had been sour between Polar Boy and his old teammates in the Substitute Heroes for some time, but since the rest of the original Subs had joined the Legion of Superheroes they’d overcome that and in some cases their friendship had begun to grow stronger than ever.

“Hey!” Color Kid saw Rainbow Girl walk by with Dream Girl and Star Boy. “Dori, this is a nice surprise! What are you doing here?”

“Ulu, it’s so good to see you!” Rainbow Girl ran to hug the pale-skinned hero. “I wish it were under better circumstances!”

“What are the circumstances?” Polar Boy asked. “Judging by the looks on all your faces, I’m guessing this isn’t a social visit.”

“Come on,” Dream Girl beckoned Polar Boy and Color Kid to join them. “We’ll explain on the way to the meeting Brainy’s about to call…we’ve still got about ten minutes.”

In his multi-lab, Brainiac 5 poured a vial of foul-smelling red liquid into a beaker containing a viscous amber substance. Holding the neck of the beaker away from his face, he swirled the two chemicals into one bubbling compound.

“Brainiac 5, I’d be a lot more at ease discussing this with you if I felt like you were paying attention even a little bit.”

The leader of the Legion of Superheroes didn’t look up at the holographic image of Roon Dvron floating before him. He didn't need to see the Earth-based Science Police Officer to hear the frustration in Dvron’s voice. “My apologies,” Brainiac nodded. “This experiment is at a crucial stage and requires monitoring for the next 90 seconds, I assure you however that I am very attuned to our conversation, Officer Dvron.”

Dvron squeezed the bridge of his nose. In all his years working with the Legion, this man was unquestionably the most difficult to deal with. Dvron would prefer to have to work with four Wildfires, at least he could understand where Drake Burroughs’ posturing attitude stemmed from. He’d never been able to relate to Brainiac 5’s detached intellect. “The Judgement League assaulted a Science Police Officer,” Dvron explained wearily. “This is exactly the excuse we need to finally bring them down. I don’t care how powerful they are, we can take them with the right preparation and equipment.”

“You very likely can’t,” Brainiac replied tactlessly, still not looking at Dvron. “More to the point you’d be playing right into the hands of the Judgement League, or more accurately their xenophobic backers within Earthgov.”

“What are you talking about?” the fiery redhead asked.

“Think about it, Officer.” Brainiac shook his head in annoyance at his formula’s stubborn refusal to behave as expected and placed the beaker on a nearby tabletop. He grabbed an omnicom from its magnetic mooring on his belt and typed away furiously as he looked up at Dvron for the first time. “Officer Erin at best showed poor judgement and at worst committed treason against Earth. The Judgement League confronted her with evidence that she had acted in collusion with the Legion of Substitute Heroes and she responded by fighting two authorised Earthgov agents. If the Science Police go in guns blazing, that will be all Councillor Wilso and his ilk need to enforce a more restrictive grip on the planet than they already possess. Shvaughn is Element Lad’s lover. She has been covertly helping one team of vigilantes disobey Earth’s laws and only a complete idiot could remain unaware at this stage that she’s also been providing information to the Legion of Superheroes as well. In the eyes of an uninformed public the Science Police should be working to take her into custody, not avenging her. Wilso will turn the populace against you the instant you take an aggressive stance.”

“Damn it, I know you’re right!” Dvron slammed his fist on his console and the hologram shuddered momentarily. “And I know it makes sense for the Legion to take point on this. If it goes pear-shaped, we can claim you acted on your own and keep the peace on Earth as much as we’re able…that doesn’t make me feel any better though! I feel so helpless letting the Legion fight for one of our own while we wash our hands of it!”

“I do understand,” Brainiac said. “But Officer, let me assure you that while Shvaughn Erin may be a Science Police Officer by profession, everyone in the Legion considers her to be a very important part of our extended family. We’re fighting for one of our own as much as you would be.”

“And what happens assuming you can actually beat the Judgement League up?” Dvron asked. “This isn’t like one of your normal adventures, you’re not going to be able to fix the situation on Earth by punching things.”

Brainiac 5 successfully fought the urge to roll his eyes but he couldn’t quite keep the tone of mild disgust out of his voice. “Officer Dvron, I shouldn’t need to remind you that I have a 12th level intelligence. Punching things is hardly my first or only option. I am not at liberty to share details at this stage, but trust me. I do have a plan.”

“I guess I have to trust you,” Dvron sighed. The man sounded exhausted. “I’m going to be watching though Brainiac, and I can’t promise that the Science Police won’t intervene if I think it’s necessary. There is one more thing…how is Shvaughn anyway?”

“She will recover fully,” Brainiac replied with a clinical lack of emotion. “She’s very fortunate that Crystal Kid was able to transform her when he did, her injuries would most certainly have been fatal otherwise. Her recovery isn’t going to be immediate though, I predict it will be 3 days before she’s ready to leave my medical care.”

“Thank you,” Dvron rejoined, a softness in his voice that hadn’t been there before. “I’m glad she’s going to be okay.”

Brainiac gave Dvron a rare smile. “You’re not the only one, Officer.”

Shvaughn Erin’s eyes fluttered as she stirred to life. She felt oddly heavy, numb. She could feel that she was lying down, but beyond that she had no idea where she was. She tried to call out, but no sound came.

“Ssh, don’t try to speak.” She found it difficult to focus her gaze, but even as foggy as her vision was right now she instantly recognised her lover Jan Arrah’s face looming over her.”You’re lucky to be alive,” the man known to others as Element Lad continued. She could feel his hand clutching hers, but it was a distant sensation. Shvaughn realised she was under the influence of sedatives and struggled to piece together her shattered memories. She remembered Bow and Black Dagger, coming across the Legion of Substitute Heroes and then…she gazed curiously at Jan. If she weren’t in the grip of a drugged haze she might feel more panic, but she was struggling just to remain conscious. “Bow shot you through the throat,” Jan explained gently. “If it weren’t for Crystal Kid…well, I wouldn’t be telling you this right now. That’s why you can’t speak anyway. Brainy operated successfully, but he says it’ll be a day or two before your vocal cords are fully functional again. You’re very lucky, Shvaughn.” He held her hand up and kissed her knuckles tenderly.

Shvaughn’s head lolled to one side as she tried to make out her surroundings. “You’re on Mars,” Jan explained. “The Subs brought you to our headquarters, they didn’t trust that anywhere on Earth or even Medicus One would be safe for you at the moment.” With no small amount of effort, Shvaughn looked back up at the blond Legionnaire. Her brow furrowed and Jan felt her squeeze his hand a little tighter. “They won’t get away with this,” Element Lad said in a voice which was soft but no less firm for it. “Brainy’s talking to the Science Police on Earth now, if I’m not wrong we’re going to be taking the fight to the Judgement League very soon.”

A lone tear rolled down Shvaughn’s cheek and she turned away from Jan. He brushed a wave of red hair from her face and kissed her cheek. “Just focus on healing,” he spoke in a near whisper. “You don’t have to be scared, we’ll take care of the Judgement League.”

I’m not scared, Shvaughn wanted to say, I’m angry. The sedatives came out on top though, and soon even her anger was subsumed. Shvaughn felt Jan’s fingers lightly stroking her hair as darkness overcame her once more.

Unseen by the couple, Porcupine Pete stood on the other side of a large window peering in. He heard footsteps and turned to see Infectious Lass approaching. “Hi Drura,” he greeted his ex-teammate.

“I’m not disturbing you, am I?” she asked. “Did you come down here to be alone?”

“No, no, not at all!” He smiled quickly. “I was actually coming to check on Officer Erin, but I saw Element Lad’s already in there and didn’t want to interrupt them.”

Infectious Lass returned his smile with one of her own. “You should be proud of yourself Pete, you helped saved her life. From what I’ve heard, the Subs have been doing a lot of good on Earth.”

“Well, you know what they say…you can’t keep a good Substitute Hero down.” He chuckled self-consciously.

“Is that what they say?” Drura smirked. The two stood in an uncomfortable silence for a moment before she continued. “You seem…different. Are you doing well?”

“I think I am actually.” He fidgeted absent-mindedly with his flight ring. “We did consider disbanding, you know. The Subs, I mean. After our own base was destroyed, with all the founders absorbed into your Legion…all the odds were stacked against us, but we couldn’t bring ourselves to just watch the Judgement League run roughshod over Earth. Most of us are from Earth…so we decided to stay together and it’s been tough, but in a way I think we’ve made the Subs our team now if that makes sense. We don’t feel like we’re trying to keep the team alive for nostalgia’s sake, we’re actually doing good work on our own merits. Does that sound silly?”

“Not at all.” She met his eye and for the first time Drura felt some of their old friendship was present without the awkwardness that had been there since she’d started dating Jacques. “I think it sounds perfect. The past is there as a foundation to build on, not a prison to cage you.”

“Ha!” Pete guffawed. “You sound like one of those monks I met on Steeple!”

Infectious Lass poked her tongue out at him. “Don’t tease me Peter Dursin, I’ll give you viral alopecia!” The corridor was filled with their laughter as the two walked away.

EARTH
Low Orbit

Jacques and Danielle Foccart sat at the bridge of one of the Legion’s cruisers far above the glittering lights of their homeworld. “How are our comrades faring planetside, mon petite soeur?” Jacques asked.

“Chameleon Boy and Gas Girl are in place, and Shrinking Violet and Phantom Girl should be ready with those signal boosters right about…there we go.” Using the power which had inspired her codename Kid Computo, Danielle brought up a holoscreen. Bright green text and images flickered past the siblings at an incomprehensible blur.

“I will never cease to be amazed by your communion with electronics,” Jacques admired his sister. “To think that you can pull the information we need from Andosen Wilso’s files in the capital from a small ship 1100 miles away. It is mind-boggling!”

“It’s a lot easier with the signal boosters that Brainiac 5 designed,” Danielle replied. “I’d normally have to be much closer for my cyberempathy to work. But…oh wow.”

“Quoi?” Jacques moved his seat closer. “What is it?”

“Brainiac 5 was right,” Danielle’s big brown eyes grew wider. “The Oversight Watch were right….what 89 told Brainiac about the power behind Wilso and his other xenophobic Earthgov buddies…Jacques, look!”

She displayed personal files and visual footage that the Earthgov representative had gone to no small effort to hide, and Jacques’ jaw dropped.

“...Mon dieu.”

METROPOLIS
Weisinger Plaza, Judgement League Headquarters

In a large room where many meetings of the Legion of Superheroes had once been held, the largest and only legal assembly of metahuman individuals on Earth held a meeting of their own. It was a rare occurrence, very few of the men and women in this room had much patience for a civil debate or exchange of ideas. Recent events had created greater than usual friction in the team however. Earth-Man slammed a fist down onto the raised bench where he sat above the rest of his team. The plastic tabletop buckled with strength he’d mimicked from one of his teammates, but the sound of it had the desired effect. Everyone in the room ceased their snide gossip and bickering to focus on their leader. “I know there’s some concern over what happened with Erin,” Earth-Man announced, “But I’m telling you all, this changes nothing. Our position here is cemented.”

“They killed a cop!” Spider-Girl exclaimed, her wild red hair swaying like an angry gang of cats behind her. “I’ve been around long enough to know what that means, Kirt!”

“She’s right,” Radiation Roy added. “If the SP don’t come after us, the Legion will…and I’m not talking about those Substitute losers, I mean the real Legion.”

“Didn’t peg you as a coward in your big red armour,” Black Dagger sneered at Roy. “Seems to me like we’ve been one step ahead of them since we started, mate.” He and Bow were both still bandaged in places, recovering from their encounter with Shvaughn Erin and the Substitute Heroes. Neither of the men seemed to be particularly bothered by their injuries though.

“You think I’m a coward?!” Roy stood up, his chair flying back behind him as his hands glowed a sickly colour. Black Dagger didn’t move in response, but the glint in his eye said he was ready to leap into action at the slightest provocation.

Earth-Man gave a disdainful look at Radiation Roy. “Sit down, you idiot. This is what they want, for us to be too busy in-fighting to present a united front.”

“Divide and conquer.” The electricity-wielding White Lightning sat closer to Earth-Man than anybody else, and she looked up at him now with an appreciative smile.

“Exactly.” Earth-Man stared Roy down until the armoured man skulked away to retrieve his chair and once more sat. “You have to understand,” Earth-Man addressed the whole room once more, "We hold the power. We’re legitimate here, the Legion and their alien-loving sycophants aren’t. I know a lot of us aren’t used to that, but don’t underestimate its value. If the Science Police come after us now, they’ll be coming after the heroes that have stopped no less than eight alien terrorist rings in the past few months. They’ll be coming after the heroes that Earthgov have duly represented to appoint our own homeworld…we’re not some pathetic Braalian or Winathian scum coming to Earth to play out childish power fantasies, we’re real heroes. We’re the heroes that this planet has deserved for longer than it even knows. And we’re going nowhere. If the Science Police want to move on us for taking out that treacherous slut, they can go right down with her.”

Some of the Leaguers cheered or clapped as Earth-Man finished his statement, but one of them stood. The room fell silent as their most powerful member, the golden woman named Celestine, walked before Earth-Man. Red Giant, White Dwarf, Tachyon and Void followed her. “What is this?” Earth-Man demanded. He’d often privately questioned their loyalties, moreso than anybody else in the room. “You better not be thinking of revolting…you may be tough Celestine, but you’re no tougher than I can be.”

“I do not care for your posturing,” Celestine answered imperiously. “I never have, Earth-Man. My compatriots and I endured you because you saved our lives, but this is not the destiny for which our lives were spared.”

“What are you talking about?” Earth-Man snarled. “What could be better than this? We have all the benefits of ruling the planet and none of the responsibilities!”

“The responsibility of ruling is our right,” she corrected him. “Our right and our obligation. Not just to rule Earth, but all of the planets in this system.”

“All in good time,” Earth-Man said. “But Celestine, we have to—“

“Not you,” she cut him short. “Our right. We Heavensent.” She gestured to the four men who’d come to stand with her. The five of them were the only survivors of a solar flare which had destroyed their research station and their life’s work centuries in the past, and there had always been a stronger bond between the five of them than any of them had ever held with the rest of the Judgement League. “I thought your vision might be able to support ours in time, but I see now that you’re all just children playing at children’s games. We have wasted enough time on this group, we will see you once more when you are ready to bend knee to us.” Arms spread, she gathered her old crewmates around her with her mastery of gravitic fields and hovered toward the ceiling.

The other Leaguers wasted no time whispering amongst themselves about the unexpected departure. Earth-Man fumed, his fists shaking at his side. He wanted nothing more than to tear her apart with her own power, and he was certain the rest of the League still loyal to him could handle Red Giant and White Dwarf. Tachyon and Void though…they would not face defeat easily. Earth-Man had no doubt they eventually would face defeat, but how many of his own would die alongside them? How much of Metropolis would be destroyed in the battle, and how much goodwill would he lose with the public of Earth? It was a strategic and political risk he couldn’t risk right now.

“Earth-Man?” Red Crow sidled up to him. “Do you want me to follow..?”

“No.” Kirt Niedrigh turned to the room at large even as Celestine burned a hole through the building to take her own team away. “Let them go!” he bellowed over the building’s alarms and self-repair systems coming online. “Anybody else who wants to run scared, go now. Any of you who like the taste of power you’ve had already and would like some more….stick with me and we’ll show this damn planet who the sprock its protectors really are.”

“Yeah!” White Lightning pumped a fist into the air, electricity arcing around her outstretched arm. Most of the others followed suit. Earth-Man did notice that not all of his Judgement League shared the same level of enthusiasm as his most vocal supporter, but even those who didn’t share his vision enjoyed the life he’d given them here. He smiled smugly.

The hole that Celestine scorched through their stolen base’s many levels soon allowed a breeze from outside the building to enter, and it allowed the air that had been enclosed inside the building to exit. One particular cloud of oxygen floated on the winds unseen and unheard by anybody else in the city until it found itself floating through the air-filtration vents of a skyscraper three blocks away. The invisible element congealed into a formless haze which itself soon changed into distinctly feminine shape. An instant later, the Legionnaire named Gas Girl sat inside the claustrophobic confines of one of the building’s maze of vents, the criss-cross pattern of the outer grille casting patchwork light on her like a heroine from a noir film. “Brainiac,” she spoke into her flight ring. “It’s Gas Girl, can you talk?”

“Certainly,” Brainiac 5’s calm voice returned. “What do you have to report? I’m impressed that your subterfuge has borne fruit so soon!”

“The Judgement League have splintered,” she explained. “That woman called Celestine took four of them with her and took off who knows where…they were gone by the time I followed them outside. I don’t think his team is as much under his thumb as Earth-Man seems to think…some of them didn’t look too confident with their heaviest hitter gone.”

“Excellent news.” The satisfaction was evident in his voice. "I’ll tell the Legion we’re ready to move.”

NEXT: FIGHT!

Editor's Notes:
You haven't missed anything, I decided to give Comet Queen, Nightwind, Polar Boy & Color Kid an off-panel mission just to show the Legion are doing stuff even if we can't see it happening wink

Porcupine Pete took a leave of absence from the Substitute Heroes when Infectious Lass joined the Legion of Superheroes so he could learn to control his powers and join his crush. He found his way to the monks on Steeple who taught him self-control techniques but unfortunately not before Drura had moved on to Jacques. C'est la vie, huh?

While they haven't really been named as a group entity before now, Celestine and her buddies all got their powers when their solar research station in the 25th century fell victim to a solar flare. They would have fallen into the sun's gravity well and died if Earth-Man hadn't recruited them for his team along with the rest of his time-displaced Leaguers.

Gas Girl is gonna get a reputation for being sneaky if she keeps this up ;p

Last edited by razsolo; 08/11/15 08:27 AM.
Re: JUDGEMENT WAR Part 1 of 2: Declare Independence
razsolo #864293 08/11/15 09:00 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Well, well, well! Looks like the bad guys' lack of teamwork will help do them in. This is shaping up to be a very exciting resolution.

Glad to see Shvaughn is safe and recovering too.

I should add, I like how you realistically took Celestine and company off the board - at once removing some very powerful pieces yet still keeping them for your future use. Also glad to see Brek and Ulu and the other former Subs getting along well again; liked Pete and Drura talking; and Brainy's multi-tasking and concern for Shvaughn was really nice. Lastly, I very much like your use of Gas Girl.

Last edited by Invisible Brainiac; 08/13/15 12:51 AM. Reason: added some comments
razsolo #864318 08/11/15 01:08 PM
Deputy
Deputy
Shauvung and Jan's secene was so touching i loved it and i would be angry too.

Your rhythm for how Jan responded to her was great.

This is going to be an awesome battle.

Gas girl is really turning into a favorite of mine. She can sneak around any day as far as i'm concerned.

Earth-Man's Judgment League isn't so together as we thought...thats good. divide and conqure!

Can't wait for more.

razsolo #865426 08/19/15 05:41 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Great use of Shvaughn and the remaining Subs - really good how you highlighted how tactical she can be while still having compassion - warning the crowd to back away when she could have used them to hide, to use your word, nice to see you didn't Nerf her smile

I really love how Rainbow Girl seems to have different abilities everytime she appears, it always makes me laugh. Great use of Porcupine Pete andthe Polecat too, and the Polecat telling off Bow and Black Dagger was nice too.

Is 89 getting B5 and the team to do her dirty work? I wonder why she would give him the information without an ulterior motive (I know she said she would to Jo, but still...)

The touching scene between the former subs on mars was great, and Comet Queens defence of the Urks was sweet and rang totally true to character. I like your take on her Raz, for a supposedly shallow character she's tricky to write well! And Dream Girl hauling them off to join a meeting is ominous...

Dvron and Brainy would never ever be friends though you capturewd their working relationship well - Dvron's frustration (would rather work with four wildfire's! haha) and Brainy's disinterest well. The shared acknowledgement at the end about Officer Erin was particularly poignant - whatever the two men think about the other at least they have shared goals.

Shvaughn and Jans conversation waswonderfully written, showing us what they each felt. And Drura and Pete were also well done.

Jacquees and Danielle - oh just ramp up the tension and suspense then! I did think it could be Universo behind it all but I don't see what his ultimate goal would be. And good use of Danielle's abilities, you'd think in the techno-swamped 31st century that we've had shown to us she could potentially be one of the most powerful and versatile member of the team if she wanted to be, a techno-equivalent of the White Witch.

Earth Man is a comlex character, not just a xenophobe control fiend, and you showed how he is thinking politically as well as just personally, though with the splintering of his team there will be hell to pay I'm sure.

And if the only reputation Gas Girl gts is being sneaky then that's not the worst, is it tongue

I'm sure you have enough ideas of your own but if you have the head space I'd love to see more of Light Lad - I don't really know him yet - and Blok-as-Shazam - how is he coping with the power boost?

More, more, more Raz, please

Legion Worlds NINE - wait, there's even more ongoing amazing adventures? Yup, and you'll only find them in the Bits o' Legionnaire Business Forum.
razsolo #865620 08/20/15 06:41 AM
R
razsolo Offline OP
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
R
Looks like Gas Girl is a winner all round!

I am glad Shvaughn's fight was well received, I wanted to show her as being super competent even though she was ultimately outclassed.

Interesting point you raise about Rainbow Girl, Harbi! It is almost like she keeps changing powers every time she appears, isn't it? Might be a story there... wink

Comet Queen is gonna be getting some more spotlight soon...I kind of like the idea that she's the way she is because it's a cultural difference moreso than her just being a valley girl of space. Hopefully we'll see some depth with her soon!

It's also funny you bring Blok up! We are gonna get a look in to how the Shazam powers have affected him next instalment and again very soon too! It's been a while since Light Lad had a major role in anything so I will see what I can do!

Thanks for the comments, y'all! I have got one of two scenes coming up in this Judgement League fight that I hope will be pretty epic, and more than one surprise too!

razsolo #865642 08/20/15 07:18 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Gas girl is great, though her name stinks (excuse the pun) and you've shown how versatile she can be.

Rainbow Girl's power set I thinkis beyond cataloguing at this point smile

I totally agree about Grava, she never struck me as dumb just not taken seriously because of her speech patterns. I'm looking forward to seeing what you have planned.

Blok! When I was re-reading an earlier post I though your Blok's probably the only one who can take down Earth Man, I'd love to see that happen. Or whatever you want to write smile

More, more, more!

JUDGEMENT WAR Part 2 of 2: Earth Intruders
razsolo #866259 08/23/15 09:19 AM
R
razsolo Offline OP
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
R
EDITOR'S NOTE: I decided against using roll calls here as we're looking at 50+ characters between the Legion of Superheroes and the Judgement League. If you'd like to see the full rosters of both teams though, click on their names and you will magically be taken there. On with the show!

MARS

Brainiac 5 watched calmly while two Legion cruisers disappeared into the star-filled Martian sky. The moons Phobos and Deimos glowed softly above as they completed their unsynchronised journeys from one side of the planet to the other.

“I wish we could have gone with them,” Crystal Kid spoke up. He stood in the hangar by Brainiac’s side with the rest of his teammates in the Legion of Substitute Heroes as well as Saturn Girl and Lightning Lad. The students of the Legion Academy watched from a nearby catwalk.

“We need to have backup ready in the unlikely event that the Legion fail,” Brainiac 5 explained dispassionately. “And we cannot risk giving Earth-Man the opportunity to mimic my intellect if it can at all be avoided.”

Lightning Lad’s eye was illuminated by the tiniest crackle of electricity. “I don’t regret leaving active duty behind to spend more time with Imra and the boys, but times like this…watching Ayla and my friends fly out to face those creeps, I wish I was going with them.”

“Brainy’s right,” Saturn Girl soothed her husband. “We’re better off here Garth, and your sister has gotten pretty good at taking care of herself.”

“I know,” Garth Ranzz agreed. “I just—“

A beeping noise interrupted the Legion founder, and Brainiac 5 gave the command for a holo-screen to appear before the group. “Hey!” Lightning Lad exclaimed, “You’re the last two people I’d expect to be hearing from today!"

“Indeed,” Brainiac 5 agreed. “What can we do for you today?"

EARTH
Metropolis, Judgement League Headquarters

It was also late evening in Metropolis when the masked man known as Fundament stepped up to a table in the Judgement League’s shared common room and shook his head disapprovingly. “Gambling? Surely there are better uses of your time?”

In the middle of a game of poker, four of his teammates stopped playing and looked up at him. Three of them had worked together in Russia centuries before they were snatched through time to join the League. There were the twin sisters White Noise and Black Light, shapely women with identical haughty features and impractically high beehive hairstyles. Their costumes were also nearly identical in design, though the monochromatic palette was colour-swapped between them. The two women simply turned back to their hands without a word, Black Light rolling her eyes at her smirking sister.

The burly bearded cyborg Cyberian rounded out the trio and he gave a barrelling chortle at Fundament’s discomfort. “What is the word they use in this time?” Cyberian roared. “You are truly a boring squatter, religious man. Go away and leave us with our cards and what piddling excuse for alcohol this future offers!” He took a swig of silverale from a massive glass mug and slammed it back on the tabletop.

“Squaj,” the final player in their game corrected him. “He is a boring squaj.” Ursula Yenova was also from Russia and had befriended these three quickly. Her home era had been the late 21st century though, nearly 200 years before her fellow countrymen had been born. A hedonistic woman built like a bulldog, she had taken to the 31st century surprisingly easily. She too laughed at Fundament, and blew an obnoxious cloud of smoke into his face from the cigar she clutched between two fingers.

Fundament coughed, stumbled backwards a step to the amusement of the Russians, and then before he could say another word he dropped to the floor unconscious. The other four Leaguers looked at one another in confusion. White Noise coughed now too, and her head hit the tabletop. “Sister!” Black Light rushed to grab her before she slumped off her seat.

“Hold your breath!” Cyberian ordered. He grabbed a rebreather from a hidden compartment in his belt and scanned the local area with his artificial left eye. “We are under attack!” His warning was too late for Black Light, who joined her sister in slumber now.

“Chemical weaponry?” Ursula stepped back from the table, her lip curled in disgust. “What coward is too scared to face us fairly in the field of battle?!” Before their eyes, she morphed into the shape of a bear some eight feet tall which appeared to be composed of the stuff of the cosmos itself. In this form she was the Star-Bear, and no gas attack could affect her.

Screaming alarms filled the air, and thundering booms rocked the common room. Each one was louder than the next, until seconds later an internal wall exploded inwards and the Leaguers saw that a passage had been carved through the building from Weisinger Plaza outside. Ultra Boy and Mon-El spearheaded the assault, twenty-five angry Legionnaires close behind. “We know your most powerful member has left you in the lurch and taken her friends with her,” Ultra Boy took point, referring to Celestine and those she called the Heavensent. “And Gas Girl’s already taken out three of your pals.” In response, the incorporeal heroine took human form once more alongside her friends with a mocking wave to Cyberian and Star-Bear. “You’ve been living in our house long enough, it’s about time we take it back.”

Star-Bear roared in defiance and grew another four feet in stature. She charged Ultra Boy while a cursing Cyberian opened fire on Mon-El with his inbuilt weapons.

“I have to admit,” Jo cracked his knuckles, “I was kind of hoping you’d say that.” Switching his ultra-energy to speed, he evaded the Star-Bear’s attack as though she were moving in slow motion. A shift back to ultra-strength and he sent her flying back through another wall.

While Star-Bear clawed her way out of the wreckage, Mon-El advanced on Cyberian. The cyborg had cycled through three different types of energy barrage, none of them causing his Daxamite target even the slightest discomfort. “Please stop firing!” Mon-El called out over the ferocious roar of a plasma cannon. “I don’t want to hurt you or your teammates with plasma backwash!”

“Do as he says, Cyberian.” Earth-Man flew into the room, followed by the rest of his team. “I’ve been waiting for the chance to crush you, alien.” As soon as he was close enough, the leader of the Judgement League absorbed Mon-El’s powers and slammed him back out into Weisinger Plaza.

“Mon!” Shadow Lass leaped to follow her lover, only to be kicked in the solar plexus by a woman in shiny black armour.

“You’re the one that uses smokescreens, right?” Black Dancer asked, black smoke belching from her bootjets as she hovered in place. “Same here, too bad you haven’t got power armour like me.” She raised one arm and shot a laser beam from her gauntlet. Shadow Lass clambered out of the way, realising that Stone Boy was directly behind her and could take the attack.

“You need a hand with her, Shadow Lass?” Stone Boy asked.

“No, but thank you for the offer. I don’t use smokescreens, woman. I am the Shadow Champion of Talok VIII. Allow me to show you what that means.” She flew toward Black Dancer, a field of impenetrable blackness growing out of her bodysuit and cape until it enveloped both Tasmia and her armoured foe.

Almost everybody joined the battle immediately, and soon the building which had housed both teams was a riot of destruction. Off to one side of the room, two Leaguers alone took advantage of the chaos to escape the fracas. The massive grey behemoth named Tusker ripped his own exit through the base, his wife Eyeful Ethel directly behind him. “Don’t worry baby,” Tusker reassured the woman he loved. “I’ll get you away from this craziness and then I’ll come back and help Earth-Man tear these losers apart.”

“Tusker!” Ethel gasped. “Stop! There are Legionnaires on the other side of that wall!” She grabbed at his enormous shoulder, but he’d already punched a hole in the wall.

Standing a safe distance away on the other side, Star Boy had his arms folded across his chest and Dream Girl leaned against a console filing her nails. “See, Thom?” Dream Girl asked in an utterly bored voice. “I told you they’d make a run for it.”

Star Boy indulged her with a smile. “Never doubted you for a nano, my love."

Tusker threw his head back and laughed. “Don’t worry about these two, babe. The only Legionnaires who could give me less trouble would be Color Kid and Matter-Eater Lad.”

“Hey, that’s not nice!” Star Boy pointed at the charging Tusker and the air around Thom's white glove turned black. “Those guys could kick your butts!” Tusker was enveloped in Star Boy’s power effect and he plummeted instantly and very loudly through every floor of the building into the sub-levels.

“K-keep away from me!” Ethel cried out, edging back from the two heroes.

“Oh, relax.” Dream Girl replaced her hardlight file in the hidden pocket of her right bracer and pulled an advanced polymer ziptie from her left. “We’re just going to restrain you, not hurt you. Your husband’s a dangerous idiot, but you’re just an idiot.”

Explosions suddenly rocked the corridor as the rotund woman called Bouncing Betty cannonballed through multiple walls until she'd left the building. Diamond Damsel followed in her wake, stopping short when she saw Dream Girl, Star Boy and Ethel. “I’m sorry, I didn’t realise you were out here when I knocked her outside! You’re okay, right?”

“We’re fine,” Dream Girl answered as they heard the explosive sound of Betty ricocheting off of the ground outside. “Go get her before she kills someone!”

“I’ve got a better idea,” the aptly-named Golden Boy interrupted. “Let me improve your looks, Diamond Damsel. Gems may be pretty, but gold’s the standard!” He came flying straight at Diamond Damsel, his arms stretched out before him. As bulky as she was in this form, she wasn’t left with much room in the packed corridor to evade his transformative touch.

“I have been turned to gold once before,” a gravelly voice joined in. “I do not believe my friend would care for it.” Empowered by a portion of the speed of Mercury, Blok overtook Golden Boy as though the villain were moving through molasses. His own massive stone hand easily closed around both of Golden Boy’s wrists and with his free hand he bopped the gleaming Judgement Leaguer on top of his skull.

Before Diamond Damsel could thank Blok for the save, both Legionnaires glowed pink and vanished along with Golden Boy himself. Dream Girl and Star Boy looked on in shock at the architect of their misfortune, a woman in a high-collared leotard and an unruly mane of brown hair. A tiny ring-like device emerged from her forehead, pinkish energy crackling in its centre. “What did you do to them?” Star Boy demanded, using his own power to cause the woman to drop to her knees. “Bring them back!"

“They are not harmed,” Vista assured Thom, struggling to lift her head to meet his gaze. “Not yet at any stage…they will wander the vistas of my psyche for a long time yet before their existence is ended. Here, see for yourself.” The ring in her forehead crackled and popped, and Star Boy and Dream Girl’s world was consumed by the same pink light.

Outside the building which by now had taken a fair amount of damage, Dragonmage found himself in the unfortunate position of having been targeted by Bow and his tracker arrows. A dragonform had taken care of the first shaft, but Xao hadn’t had time to prepare a spell for the second one and was reduced to using his flight ring to outrace it. He passed other Legionnaires who could easily deal with the primitive weapon, but whether it was Polar Boy sealing Kid Chemo’s containment suit with ice or Wildfire pairing off against the mystically enhanced weapons of Sunsword, everyone else here was too preoccupied to help the Legion’s young sorcerer. Xao had seen Dawnstar manouvre tracer weaponry into destroying itself harmlessly against asteroids or enemy ships with her superior speed and agility. Even with a flight ring he wasn’t at all confident he could achieve the same result himself, but he was starting to think it might be his only option. Just as he’d decided to make the attempt, Dragonmage felt a surge of heat behind him. He craned his neck to see Fire Lad bringing up his rear, the ashes that had been Bow’s arrow disintegrating on the evening breeze.

“I thought you could usse an asssisst,” the bony fire-breather said, a friendly smile belying his sibilant hiss.

“Thanks!” Dragonmage slowed down to allow his teammate to catch up with him. “What about Bow though? He’s still in there somewhere!”

“I wouldn’t worry about that nasss,” Staq smirked. “Element Lad went gunning for him the nano thiss brawl sstarted.”

Inside the base crouched safely on a catwalk above the melee, Bow sensed that one of his weapons had been destroyed before it had reached its target. He frowned only slightly before drawing back another arrow and scanning the crowd of metahumans below. Looking for his next target, he saw Black Dagger slicing through a screen of thorny vines to get to Chlorophyll Kid beyond. From his vantage point, Bow had a clear shot at the Legionnaire’s head. He wouldn’t even need his arrows’ enchantments for this one. He let the arrow fly, and was mystified when it evaporated into the air almost immediately.

“We need to have words,” a calm but firm voice announced. Bow turned to see the Legion's transmuter floating imperiously to his left, the one they called Element Lad. Without a sound, he nocked another arrow but as he pulled the bowstring back it snapped off in his hands. “Kind of hard to use a bow with tin filament instead of string, isn’t it?” Jan asked. “I’d imagine so anyway, I must admit I’m not all that familiar with the kind of barbaric primitivism in which you specialise.”

The bald archer flung an arrow at the hero, and while Jan concentrated on shifting it into free-floating molecules of helium, Bow took the opportunity to leap up and belt him across the head with his bow.

Element Lad cried out as he tumbled backwards. Dazed, the intense pain of a new arrow being lodged into his thigh shocked him back to awareness. “You really are an animal,” Jan grimaced, bringing his other knee straight up into the floating man’s jaw with a satisfying crack. “You should thank whatever gods you believe in that I’m not.” The air around Bow hardened into a block of inertron leaving only his head exposed, and Bow struggled fruitlessly.

Element Lad looked down now to help Chlorophyll Kid with Black Dagger, but both of the Legionnaires were slammed into the ground by some invisible force before Jan could make a move. The impact knocked Element Lad out cold instantly, and Chlorophyll Kid was trapped in place like a fly in amber. From where he was laying, Ral could see that Black Dagger was safe from the strange assault. He could also see the deep blue boots of the man responsible for their predicament in his peripheral vision floating above.

Fundament hovered above a room full of fallen Legionnaires, none of them capable of the slightest motion. His control of gravity was so precise that his own colleagues in the Judgement League were unaffected, and they took this time to recover from the individual fights he’d interrupted. “You Legion of so-called Superheroes reckoned without my superior God-given power when you launched your cowardly attack!” he preached to his captive audience. “Power that I have been given to cleanse the Earth of demons such as yourselves! If it is possible for such creatures to find repentance, pray for it now! In a minute you will no longer have the opportunity!” He clenched his fists and every Legionnaire affected by his power felt gravity’s crush intensify.

Somewhere else, Golden Boy moaned as he regained consciousness. His golden skin was far less sensitive than his human flesh had been so the change in temperature was lost on him, but he could still see that it was no longer night-time and he could hear the rolling breeze. He sat up, noticing for the first time that he was sitting on a grassy field. Confused, he looked around to see Blok, Diamond Damsel, Star Boy, Dream Girl and Supergirl standing nearby. He had no idea where they were, but he didn’t think the heroes had noticed that he’d woken up. With exaggerated caution, he approached the Legionnaires from behind and reached for Supergirl. If he could kill the maid of might, the rest of the League would have to respect him. Just before he reached her shoulder, she spun around in a blur and blew him down with an arctic gust of breath. “Seriously?” Kara Zor-El asked. “I’ve got super-hearing, you moron.”

“Where have you taken me?” Golden Boy asked, clambering to his feet once more. He kept his distance this time, looking around at the landscape for the first time. There were peaceful knolls and valleys reaching out to the horizon, the sky a pastel pink dotted with powder blue clouds. All of the colors here seemed washed out though, himself and the Legionnaires the only exception.

“We were hoping you could tell us,” Supergirl answered. “Your pal Vista sent us here, I had enough time before you all arrived to do some exploring and I can tell you this is pretty much all there is for a long long way in all directions. I can’t see any other planets or stars in the sky…something about this place reminds me of the Phantom Zone, I can’t quite put my finger on it though.”

“Oh no.” Golden Boy’s jaw dropped in an expression of horror. “No no no, I can’t believe she’d do this to me…this can’t be happening!”

“Don’t be so hysterical,” Dream Girl instructed him. “I’m sure Vista only transported you by accident when she grabbed Blok and Diamond Damsel, but we can help you get back home. I assume we're in another dimension?”

“We’re in her mind!” Golden Boy almost screamed. “This is what she does, she uses that sprocking implant in her forehead to send people to her own personal mindscape! Forever! Oh sprock, this is inhumane…we’re going to die here.” He sat down and clutched his knees, rocking back and forth.

“Inhumane,” Diamond Damsel deadpanned. “Says the man who turns people into gold statues.”

“He might be telling the truth,” Star Boy joined in. “We already know our flight rings don’t work. Maybe we should try calling Tellus?”

“Good idea, Thom.” Dream Girl took command instinctively. “Everyone project a call to Tellus as clearly as you can. That goes for you too, Golden Boy.” The golden villain complained at first, but was soon convinced it might be their only chance of escape. He approached the group warily and the six of them focused intensely on reaching the Hykraian Legionnaire with their thoughts. When that didn’t work they resorted to just shouting his name, and their echoes carried on the wind.

Golden Boy was the first to give up. “Face facts,” he whined in a broken voice as he sat back down again. “We’re going to die here. Oh sprock, what if we can’t die here? What if we’re doomed to just wander this creepy place forever??"

“We are not going to die here,” Blok stated with simple authority. “Nor are we going to be trapped here eternally. I have an idea but you may all wish to stand back. That includes you as well please, Supergirl. ”

“What are you going to do?” Diamond Damsel asked, retreating a couple of metres with the others.

“This may be a psychic environment,” Blok explained. “But it is still an environment. That should be far enough, thank you.” The others stopped their retreat and Blok looked up to the placid skies above, arms by his side. He spoke only one more word.

Shazam.

Comet Queen cried out in pain as Fundament increased gravity’s stranglehold on the Legionnaires trapped inside the Judgement League’s base with him. She made eye contact with Chlorophyll Kid and wished there were something she could do to help. She’d tried to fill the room with plumes of noxious gas, but it was more difficult for her to spread her power’s effect without being in motion. At any rate Fundament had made even her gaseous trail so heavy that it hugged the floor. In the end, Grava had shut her power off before she put her own teammates to sleep.

Shadow Lass had also still been in the room at the time Fundament woke up and launched his assault. Black Dancer’s unconscious form lay beside Tasmia, her visor cracked. The armoured woman had bitten off more than she could chew with Tasmia, but what was even the Shadow Champion of Talok VIII to do against someone who controlled one of the fundamental forces of the universe itself? Maybe nothing, Tasmia gritted her teeth under the bone-crushing pressure. But I have to try!

Before more than a wisp of darkness could be called forth, Shadow Lass saw something which made her pause. When Fundament’s power had dragged her to the floor, Shadow Lass had landed on her back. She had the best view of the room of any of the Legionnaires here, and she alone could see the starry sky above them thanks both to the tunnel Celestine had bored through her old team’s headquarters along with the damage wrought by the Legionnaires themselves today. Fundament hovered beneath those stars now, his cape flapping at his ankles while he ranted about his god-given superiority over the Legionnaires. What intrigued Shadow Lass though was far beyond Fundament. There was something gleaming in the sky, something coming closer. Something else else coming far too fast to stop. It’s a shuttle! she realised in horror. “Fundament..!” Tasmia groaned. “…Behind you….runaway…ship…”

The gravity manipulator looked down upon Shadow Lass with utter contempt. “Silence yourself. demon. Do you think I will fall for your lies so easily?” He intensified the pressure on Shadow Lass more than the others and she screamed in pain.

“Oh crap!” The speedster Sprint pointed up at the plummeting ship which was now only hundreds of feet above them. “It really is a runaway ship!” Sprint bolted out of the building as fast as her legs would take her, and Fundament turned to face the oncoming craft but it was too little too late. He released his hold on the Legionnaires to erect a gravitic forcefield, a field which hundreds of tons of metal and ceramics shredded right through. The ship took a quarter of the building with it, and when the smoke cleared every Judgement Leaguer in the room was buried under piles of rubble. Remarkably, nobody had been killed in the impact and even more remarkably not a single Legionnaire had been touched at all. Chlorophyll Kid helped a groggy Element Lad to his feet, and they were joined by Shadow Lass, Comet Queen, Color Kid, Matter-Eater Lad, Elastic Lad and Ultra Boy. “What the sprock was that?!” Ultra Boy exploded.

“A craven attack.” Fundament reappeared from beneath tons of debris, moving it aside with his power. He was bleeding and his costume torn but he was still in the fight. “I do not know how you diabolic creatures pierced my shield, but it will avail you naught.”

The sound of twisting metal in the centre of the impact site made everyone’s heads turn, and two familiar figures floated out of the reinforced life pod they’d been securely tucked away in the whole time. “You’ve never seen how a tiny horseshoe magnet can resist the authority of a planet’s gravity?” one of the newcomers asked. “Welcome to science, Fundament.”

Fundament was utterly shell-shocked. “Who..?”

“I’m Cosmic Boy,” the unusually relaxed Braalian answered. “I’ve been on honeymoon with my wife here, but defeating self-important egotists is really more our speed. Lucky for you Brainiac 5 couldn’t convince us to keep our noses out of this one when we called to tell him we were coming home.”

Lydda Jath Krinn gave Fundament a predatory grin. “I’m Night Girl, and I’m surprised you don’t remember us from the last time we walked all over your team. I’m happy to refresh your memory though. Tasmia, would you be a dear?”

The expression on Shadow Lass’s face mirrored that of Lydda's. “The pleasure’s all mine, Night Girl."

The room instantly filled with darkness, followed quickly by the sounds of a very one-sided battle.

Outside, Light Lad had seen the plummeting shuttle too late to stop it, but he was prepared to prevent any debris from hurting anyone once the vehicle crashed. Surprisingly though for all the damage the crash had caused, the wreckage fell where nobody would be injured. It was almost as though someone had artificially controlled its path. He glanced across toward Tellus, but the telekinetic Hykraian was busy enough containing Bouncing Betty. The tousle-haired hero suddenly felt a searing pain cut through his shoulder and collapsed with a cry of pain.

The Judgement League’s Light Lass approached while Darvan struggled not to black out. “The first laser was just for fun,” she taunted as she aimed her finger at him once more. “I didn’t think you’d be such a baby about it, I can’t believe we share the same name. No wonder you’re dead by my time.” Darvan saw her finger glow with power, then her back arched and she screamed as her whole body was wracked with jolts of electricity.

Light Lass fell and Lightning Lass rushed over to help Darvan stand. “Actually,” Ayla Ranzz mocked the groaning Leaguer, “Light Lass was my name first, and I might be flattered you stole it if you weren’t such a sprocking psycho.”

“I’m okay,” Darvan grimaced. “Went right through me, but heat cauterised the wound…go easy on her Ayla, she’s just a kid…”

“A kid who tried to murder a bunch of our students,” Ayla rejoined. “She’s lucky I left her conscious.”

Another woman’s scream caught their attention, and the two Winathians saw a staggering Vista clutch at her forehead. There was no visible sign of attack, but she screamed a second time and in a flash of pink light Blok, Supergirl, Diamond Damsel, Star Boy, Dream Girl and Golden Boy appeared out of nowhere. In a flash of motion, Supergirl knocked Vista out and gently lowered her to the ground. Ayla and Darvan simply looked at each other. “Oookayyy then…” Ayla said, clearly lost.

“Summoning magic lightning to blast away at her stupid mental landscape was genius, Blok!” Diamond Damsel clapped the stone hero on his shoulder. “But I thought you couldn’t use the magic word?”

“In the physical plane I cannot,” Blok explained. “But magic is far more accessible on any psionic plane, even one which has been wholly constructed by one individual. I gambled that Vista would suffer any damage inflicted upon her mindscape as though it were a strike against her own mind.”

“That wisdom of Solomon sure comes in handy!” Dream Girl added with a wink.

“Look out!” Supergirl warned, an instant before the ground exploded at their feet and Earth-Man and Mon-El tore up from the base’s sub-levels. The two men had been fighting one another ferociously since the battle had begun, tearing in and out of the building. Both men were bruised, their costumes shredded, but neither one of them was anywhere near giving up. Supergirl’s first instinct was to speed to Mon-El’s side, but she soon thought better of it. “If I get involved, Earth-Man will just have my strength as well as Mon’s!” Kara exclaimed. “Neither of us can stand against that!”

“Go ahead,” a smug Golden Boy remarked. “Why drag out the inevitable?”

“You haven’t gotten any less annoying,” Diamond Damsel snapped. “Maybe it’s time you had a little nap again!” She moved to punch Golden Boy, but he was gone in a blur. “What..?” Diamond Damsel looked around. “How did he do that?!”

“He didn’t,” Supergirl replied. “Their speedster nabbed him, what’s her name…Sprint? She must have been scouting the fight looking for him. It looks like they’re abandoning ship, they’re halfway across Metropolis already. She’s nowhere near as fast as me though, I’ll go get ‘em and be back in a shake!”

“I believe you should stay here,” Blok disagreed politely. “While we are certainly on the verge of success, Earth-Man is always a wild card. I do not believe that Golden Boy or Sprint pose an immediate risk to anybody in the city, we have the resources to find them later easily enough.”

“Blok’s right,” Dream Girl said, before shaking her head amused at herself. “…Still feels odd saying that…but look around us, this is about to wrap up and Golden Boy’s not going to be stupid enough to do anything that will get us on his trail any quicker.”

Above them, Earth-Man punched Mon-El through the upper levels of the base and clear through to the other side. He circled the building at super-speed and threw another punch which the battered Daxamite hero caught in one hand, flipping Earth-Man in mid-air. “I’m glad you’ve got some fight left in you still,” Kirt Niedrigh sneered. “Was beginning to think the great Daxamite saviour was all talk.”

“Did it ever occur to you,” Mon-El asked, “That I’ve been dragging out this whole sorry encounter, Niedrigh? Stalling for the right moment to end it?”

“Don’t be ridiculous,” Earth-Man scoffed. “We’ve beaten you, we…” He had a look down at the barely standing remains of his team’s headquarters, using Mon-El’s senses to view the battlefield hundreds of feet below as plain as day. True, quite a few Legionnaires had sustained damage and some of them were even unconscious. Some of his own League were untouched. But it was more than apparent that the Legion of Superheroes had all but won. “No…” He shook his head and his eyes blazed red. “No!! I’ll incinerate sprocking Metropolis before I let you aliens take victory from me yet again!”

Mon-El waited for just the right instant before he delivered an uppercut that snapped Earth-Man’s head back. The blast of heat vision which had been intended to decimate the city below instead shot up harmlessly into the night sky. His eyes reflexively closed when Mon-El punched him and Earth-Man bellowed in agony as he destroyed most of his own eyelids. “Kill you!” Earth-Man roared, hands pressed to his wounded eyes. “I’ll kill you!

“You won’t be killing anybody any more, Earth-Man.” Mon-El grabbed him by the scruff of the neck and dived like a meteorite straight into the centre of Weisinger Plaza, careful to avoid landing near anybody whose powers Niedrigh could mimic. The impact knocked people off their feet and rattled buildings for blocks, and when the smoke cleared both men were staggering exhausted in the centre of a massive impact crater.

“Earth-Man, it’s over.” This voice came from every piece of equipment capable of transmitting the sound within the entire city block, and it belonged to Chameleon Boy. Confused, Niedrigh gazed up and down and all around for the Durlan. What he saw for the first time was the media stationed as close as they could safely get to the action, the citizens of Metropolis gathered with them to watch this spectacle. He’d assumed the shapeshifter had been using his slimy talent to hide while the fight was happening, but now that Earth-Man thought about it he hadn’t seen any of the Legion’s damned Espionage Squad since they'd invaded…and he wondered why the Legion had allowed so many holocorders and other recording devices to set up camp so close when that usually wasn’t their style. Kirt Niedrigh didn’t like where this was going at all.

A hovering platform descended in the middle of the plaza, Chameleon Boy directing its descent via a podium console. He was accompanied by Phantom Girl and Shrinking Violet, an elderly man Earth-Man recognised as Counsellor Andosen Wilso, and a second unfamiliar man. Wilso and the stranger were both shackled, though they looked unharmed. Enraged as he was, Earth-Man knew he couldn’t take on the Espionage Squad while they held hostages in front of a clamouring media. He wracked his brains for a solution, all the time wishing one of the Legionnaires would come a little closer so he could absorb their power. He could already feel Mon-El’s beginning to fade as the Daxamite had now rejoined his teammates. “I always knew the Legion of Superheroes were brazen!” Earth-Man called out, shielding his exposed eyes. “But this…kidnapping an Earthgov representative? Are you mad??”

“This is a little over the top,” Chameleon Boy’s voice echoed around Weisinger Plaza, “And for the disruption to your evening, we genuinely apologise. We needed to ensure though that all eyes were on us when we revealed the truth about how this man, Andosen Wilso, and the planetary ruling council that he represents has been lying to the people of Earth.” The gathered public looked to Wilso to refute Cham’s claims, but the old man simply hung his head in shame. “Earthgov has painted the Legion of Superheroes as an irresponsible influence on Earth, has gone out of its way to foster xenophobia at every turn with restrictive policies and the meta-powered bullies it holds up as the Legion’s rightful successors. They tell you this is for your benefit, for the good of the people of Earth…and maybe there are people in Earthgov who genuinely believe that. This man isn’t one of them though! Phantom Girl, would you please show the people of Earth exactly who the power behind Andosen Wilso really is?”

“Gladly!” Tinya held up a small disc-like device in her hand for all to see. It was clear to everyone that she was holding a personal image distorter, and when she made a show of turning it off there was a collective gasp of outrage from the crowd. Earth-Man’s face drained of blood and he stared up in horror. Before all of Weisinger Plaza, and anybody else who’d been watching the evening’s chaos on any one of hundreds of broadcast channels, the second man shackled by the Espionage Squad’s side stood revealed as a Dominator.

Taking advantage of the stunned silence, Chameleon Boy continued. “After the destruction of the Dominion homeworld, this man decided to seek revenge for that tragedy on the people of Earth. He wormed his way among the upper echelons of Earthgov until he was in a position to influence its actions. He removed the Legion from the table, and then embarked on a plan that ultimately would lead to a civil war among the good people of Earth and the destruction of this world’s spirit. As far as we have been able to find out, he hid his identity from most of the humans he interacted with. He needed to appear human to fan the flames of xenophobia that would eventually have consumed you. But Wilso…Wilso knew all along. One of the primary human leaders of the movement pushing to remove aliens from Earth was taking orders from an alien the whole time because it got him the world he wanted. Of course we have proof, and we have already submitted this proof to the Science Police for further investigation. But you’ve received a wake-up call today, planet Earth. The Dominion homeworld was destroyed because ultimately the populace of Elia saw other races as inferior to themselves. Don’t let Earth make the same mistake.” He bowed his head, and the entire plaza erupted in noise.

On the ground, Shadow Lass had finally found Mon-El. She called his name and ran to his side, the two lovers embracing. “Everything went perfectly according to plan!” Tasmia beamed. “Cham was brilliant! Is that it, Mon? Is this really the end of it?”

“I don’t think it’s quite that simple, Shady.” Mon-El stared into the endless black pools of her eyes. “This news won’t be welcomed by everyone, we’re going to have discontent to deal with in the coming days…maybe even riots. Both Earth and its government are going to have a lot of soul-searching to do. But it’s definitely the first step in a return to normalcy if that’s what Earth wants.”

“What about Earth-Man?” she asked. “What about the Judgement League?”

“Something else else tells me the Judgement League just became an unpleasant footnote in this planet’s history,” he answered. They both turned to look at Earth-Man, along with several other Legionnaires. He was standing mutely, staring with dry unblinking eyes at the Dominator who’d written the past several months of his life like a book. His expression was that of a man whose whole world had been shattered.

“As for Earth-Man,” Mon-El continued, “I don’t think he’s going to be a threat for a long long time…”

Re: JUDGEMENT WAR Part 2 of 2: Earth Intruders
razsolo #866260 08/23/15 09:45 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Nicely done raz! Quite an exciting end. I was afraid at first that the group in Vista's mind would be there for a while,but you wrapped it up nicely. Blok was amazing, as was everyone in there.

Sprint and Golden Boy live to fight another day, I'm sure you have plans for them.

The wrap-up was done really well, glad the Espionage Squad caught things - including, I'm sure, Earth-Man's tantrum and threat to incinerate Metropolis.

I also loved the mini-battles going on. Nice to see Tasmia be nicer to her teammates (thanking Stone Boy for his offer, for example).

Looking forward to seeing the aftermath.

razsolo #866362 08/23/15 06:51 PM
R
razsolo Offline OP
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
R
Thanks IB! I had fun writing it but I don't really love a xenophobic Earth as the status quo tbh so I'm glad to move on from there now smile

razsolo #867010 08/28/15 01:35 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Raz, I jumped in on the previous page - what a blast! So many characters. It's interesting to move the Academy to Mars, not keep the story entirely Earth-centric. The bad guys from the past, good selection, better than Al Capone and Nero or whoever was chosen in that old Adventure story. Shvaughn put up a real fight, with a noble concern for civilians - you don't need superpowers to be a hero. Those crazy Subs, a bit stumblebum but so valiant. Great idea to have Antennae Lad able to pick up future transmissions. Of course others would try and copy the flight ring - difficult to create but likely easier to reverse-engineer; I wonder why this wasn't ever in the comic (or was it?). So nice to see Brainy isn't a jerk! And Earth Man is... but not as much in control as he imagined. That Vista has a really creepy power - is that your own creation? And the Legion triumphs in the end, thanks to good old team work. Great story, looking forward to the next part!

Holy Cats of Egypt!
razsolo #867117 08/29/15 12:26 AM
R
razsolo Offline OP
Legionnaire!
OP Offline
Legionnaire!
R
Thanks FC! laugh

Most of the Judgement League are my own creations, I just added them to Earth-Man's Justice League group from the comics....I can't claim credit for the flight ring copying though, that one I nicked from Legion of 3 Worlds wink

I much prefer Brainy's old school personality where he might occasionally get annoyed being surrounded by less intelligent people but he's not a psycho jerk about it constantly....you picked a good time to jump on board, after the Legion have some breathing room I am gonna start an epic storyline with a Legion bad guy from way back! smile

razsolo #867256 08/30/15 12:17 AM
Deputy
Deputy
Great Battles and ending Raz. Earth-Man being bank rolled by a Domintor, an alien. Great twist.

I can't wait to see these guys all get their comeuppance.

IDK Golden Boy and Sprint maybe gone but i'm not sure for how long.

"Light Lass fell and Lightning Lass rushed over to help Darvan stand. “Actually,” Ayla Ranzz mocked the groaning Leaguer, “Light Lass was my name first, and I might be flattered you stole it if you weren’t such a sprocking psycho.”
My favorite line.

Fundament is scary crazy and powerful.

Agreed Vista's power is totally creepy.

I love Golden boy trying and then getting rebuffed instantly by Supergirl.

So now Earth is free... but does that mean the Legion will return to Earth or are they going to stay on Mars?

Can't wait for more.

Page 14 of 48 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 47 48

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,020
Posts1,044,975
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Tymann
Tymann
Riverside, CA
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star