Roll Call
1 members (Chaim Mattis Keller), 36 Murran Spies, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/10/24 08:02 AM
Kill This Thread LII - The End of the Deck of Cards
by Ann Hebistand - 05/10/24 05:38 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:58 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:57 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:56 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:55 AM
Legion Trivia 6
by thoth lad - 05/09/24 03:34 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: The Tops in Tens!
Thriftshop Debutante #878724 11/29/15 03:30 AM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
57. Just Imagine: Just Imagine...you're having a fight in a paint factory. The COWL cover should be cool . There was a time when gritty superhero comics weren't everywhere. A superhero turned villain still had some shock value, when done well. Here, we have both that (in silhouette no less) and an espionage/cop aspect too. Evil super heroes and spies. With a nicely coloured geometric background too. It should totally win. But gritty superheroes always look forced, because no one would actually wander around with an "A" for "@$$" on their chest. Besides, Ace Hart already did it. So, it's a win for the other one. Incidentally, I've read a few issues of COWL and it wasn't terrible. I just didn't have the first few to fully get into the series.

58. Sleeper: Typing of books trying to be gritty in a silly world of super heroes, it's The Boys (which I've read) and Sleeper (that I haven't). The Boys has a certain J'Accuse quality to it. But angling the logo on the cover of Sleeper to be part of the target gets the win. I think it's a target. It might be moths with cigarettes.

59. Captain Midnight: 500 years into the future of the JSA, and they still don't have a female member! The perspective is a bit wonky, but it really gets lots of points for trying. I'd like to give it the win. But the quality of art is far better over in Captain Midnight. It positively screams chest thumping patriotism. I'm more interested in how the plane is going to work in the tunnel of terror, and why someone with Midnight in their name wears such a colourful suit.

60. 21 Down: I just got Supergirl 10 a couple of weeks ago! Looking more closely at the cover here, the scientist looks a lot creepier and the poor Supergirls look to be in a lot more peril. 21 Down wins for having the logo work with the giant test tubes. I remember the days when you were healed form horrific superhero battles with a good night's rest and some Lemsip. Now it's all giant, fluid filled tubes in secret bunkers.

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Thriftshop Debutante #878984 11/29/15 06:55 PM
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
OP Offline
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
61. CASES OF SHERLOCK HOLMES vs. JUSTICE

click to enlarge click to enlarge

62. DOLLY vs. THE TOODLES

63. IMPULSE vs. DYNAMIC COMICS

64. GI JOE vs. THE FURY OF FIRESTORM

Thriftshop Debutante #878997 11/29/15 10:45 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
61. CASES OF SHERLOCK HOLMES - drama, danger, action AND mystery!

62. THE TOODLES - no uncanny valley eyes here

63. IMPULSE - just funnier

64. GI JOE - I think the figures are posed better

Thriftshop Debutante #879088 11/30/15 12:33 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
61. Justice: No point in doing a "someone's getting shafted" joke since Teeds is well ahead there. Sherlock loses points by having the hanky the same colour as the spear, giving this reader pause to wonder where the spear head was. The Carry On Inferno facial expressions lose it points too. Over in Justice we have a surprise attack in a claustrophobic location with two popular, but vulnerable characters. Top artist too.

62. Toodles: This month in Toodles read "Tots at Sea" Next month in Toodles read "Desert Tots" Then in June read "Tots removed by Social Services." She might be cleaning the floors, but that's no reason why the apron can't be the height of domestic fashion and those eyebrows can't be plucked. Dolly has that unsettling weird quality of child wish fulfilment. Why isn't the robot dog shorting out? What is that bear doing to that large candy cane? Is Dolly a robot too, or is that expression some sort of sugar addiction? Unsettling. But I shall never vote for a plaid logo! Never!

63. Dynamic: It's Impulse, not Frog Boy. How long are those legs. It's a nice red background and it's a fun way of getting the kid to slow down and build in the story title. But it still loses out to a signpost that lists all the anthology characters. Those two goons are in for trouble no matter which way they go!

64. Firestorm: The woman with the crossbow seems overly happy to be walking into an ambush. Does the prop the villains are hiding behind indicate a blazing saddles fake town? If so, why do the other houses have sides and this one doesn't? No such building confusion over in Firestorm which uses an effective background to show the city. There's also the a more potent threat than a couple of ACME goons.

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Thriftshop Debutante #879445 12/02/15 04:57 PM
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
OP Offline
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
65. BLACK CAT vs. SINGLE SERIES (LITTLE MARY MIXUP)

66. WAR ROMANCES vs. DARLING LOVE

67. NEW COMICS vs. RED ROBIN

68. SMILIN' JACK vs. GIRL GENIUS

Thriftshop Debutante #879447 12/02/15 06:16 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
65. Little Mary Mixup

66. Darling Love

67. Red Robin

68. Girl Genius

Thriftshop Debutante #879901 12/05/15 04:02 PM
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
OP Offline
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
69. THE FUNNIES vs. CRIMINALS ON THE RUN

70. X-MEN vs. FANTASTIC FOUR

71. FRECKLES AND HIS FRIENDS vs. ROMANTIC ADVENTURES

72. COMIC CAVALCADE vs. FLAMING CARROT

Thriftshop Debutante #879902 12/05/15 04:15 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
17. the lighting is better on OMEGA MEN

18. JOE PALOOKA is pure joy with a hint of angst? You not bes sad, Joey P, I sit with you, k. Chicks, amirite?

19. SUPER FRIENDS, no contest at all. And the issue itself is a childhood favorite

20. OUTSIDERS, no contest, and I was/am a HUGE fan of the 90s relaunch!!

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
Thriftshop Debutante #880001 12/06/15 10:20 AM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
65. Black Cat No wonder they brought in a comics code. I'm sickulated at witnessing one guys fetish or posters while another guy walks past. that guy sees a man in a hat and can't stop fantasising about another guy in a hat being chased while he drives. Filth! How old is Mary mix up. Are those heels?! I find her knowing evil streak unlikable, and no golden age art can save her.

66. War Romances: She's been stringing two guys along and now she's paying this piper fellow too fro a relationship?! No pity for Darling Love. Most relationships would lead a guy to leave the country. It's a little known fact that the Korean war was completely made up by men who just wanted some peace and quiet. Nice climate, friendly people and a chance for the men of the world to relax. That the "Korea sacrifice" in the title on War Romances, and it was nice of them to be hosts.

67. New Comics: So much hatred in a cover! So much anger! Those expressions focus the reader's attention. There's no need for any real background and the artist knows it. Easily gets the win.

Robin: Remember when we were children put in violent situations by mentally disturbed older folk?
Batgirl: So much better than us still doing it having been traumatised to continue a pointless cycle of violence.
Robin: I know! Remember when we actually stopped bad guys, rather than fighting each other on covers? I don't. That was Grayson back in the 1940s
Batgirl: No, I don't have any long term memory. That was when I realised the blackouts were from not being able to breath through my Spoiler mask.

68. Smilin' Jack: I used to worry about gettin' shot in the back during a dogfight. Now, I just pick up one of the local floozies from the bar at the airstrip and I'm safe as houses. Despite the squinty looking plane it gets the win over an anime style I'm just not that fond of. That's saying something for a cover that has an airship and a cat in it. Two sure fire winners normally.

Thriftshop Debutante #880023 12/06/15 10:56 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
21. BUBBLE-ICIOUS BUNNY BEATS BUBBLEHEADED ARCHIE

22. AIN'T NOBODY STUDYIN' MANGA SO ACTION GIRL

23. Both are terrific, i'm going to give the edge to CAPTAIN MARVEL because early cover fx.

24. difficult to decide as both are similar in a very good way. I personally give the edge to UNEXPLORED WORLDS, because 'I THINK I COULD BeaT UP THE Unusual Tales cover guy if pressed SO it's LESs CREEPY.

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
Thriftshop Debutante #880129 12/06/15 06:23 PM
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
OP Offline
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
73. FIRST KISS vs. CRIME MYSTERIES

74. LEAVE IT TO BINKY vs. A DATE WITH JUDY

75. POPPO OF THE POPCORN THEATRE vs. MARGE'S TUBBY

76. DON WINSLOW OF THE NAVY vs. KATY KEENE PIN-UP PARADE

Thriftshop Debutante #880131 12/06/15 06:51 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
69. THE FUNNIES, as it is actually kind of funny

70. X-MEN - shirtless buff blonde man, yeah!

71. FRECKLES AND HIS FRIENDS - at least this one doesn't come with the lovesick tears of a pretty girl

72. COMIC CAVALCADE - oh the drama. and i have trouble liking a flaming carrot

73. FIRST KISS - more elegant

74. A DATE WITH JUDY - cute little love birds! The ones in the tree.

75. MARGE'S TUBBY - less words, more impact

76. KATY KEENE PIN-UP PARADE - I like Katy!

Thriftshop Debutante #880161 12/07/15 07:16 AM
Wanderer
Online Confused
Wanderer
41. THE MARVEL FAMILY vs. THE BLACK TERROR

click to enlarge

42. PLASTIC MAN (QUALITY) vs. PLASTIC MAN (DC)

click to enlarge

43. SABRE vs. JON SABLE, FREELANCE

click to enlarge

44. LITTLE MAX vs. HENRY

click to enlarge

45. GREEN LANTERN (GA) vs. GREEN LANTERN (SA)

click to enlarge

46. AMAZING SPIDER-MAN vs. SPIDEY

click to enlarge

47. HAWKMAN (SA) vs. HAWKMAN (1980s)

click to enlarge

48. AVENGERS vs. AVENGERS ANNUAL

click to enlarge

Thriftshop Debutante #880163 12/07/15 07:18 AM
Wanderer
Online Confused
Wanderer
49. OPERATION PERIL vs. CHALLENGERS OF THE UNKNOWN

click to enlarge

50. SEA DEVILS vs. SUPER MAGICIAN

click to enlarge

51. HOUSE OF SECRETS vs. MY GREATEST ADVENTURE

click to enlarge

52. JOHNNY DYNAMITE vs. BOY COMICS

click to enlarge

53. WEIRD MYSTERY TALES vs. FANTASTIC ADVENTURES

click to enlarge

54. FROGMAN vs. THE FROGMEN

click to enlarge

55. THE CRUSADES vs. THE OUTSIDERS

click to enlarge

56. NICK FURY, AGENT OF SHIELD vs. THE TROUBLE WITH GIRLS

click to enlarge

Thriftshop Debutante #880164 12/07/15 07:21 AM
Wanderer
Online Confused
Wanderer
57. C.O.W.L. vs. JUST IMAGINE

click to enlarge

58. SLEEPER vs. THE BOYS

click to enlarge

59. ALL-STAR vs. CAPTAIN MIDNIGHT

click to enlarge

60. 21 DOWN vs. DARING NEW ADVENTURES OF SUPERGIRL

click to enlarge

61. CASES OF SHERLOCK HOLMES vs. JUSTICE

click to enlarge

62. DOLLY vs. THE TOODLES

click to enlarge

63. IMPULSE vs. DYNAMIC COMICS

click to enlarge

64. GI JOE vs. THE FURY OF FIRESTORM

click to enlarge

Thriftshop Debutante #880166 12/07/15 07:35 AM
Wanderer
Online Confused
Wanderer
65. BLACK CAT vs. SINGLE SERIES (LITTLE MARY MIXUP)

click to enlarge

66. WAR ROMANCES vs. DARLING LOVE

click to enlarge

67. NEW COMICS vs. RED ROBIN

click to enlarge

68. SMILIN' JACK vs. GIRL GENIUS

click to enlarge

69. THE FUNNIES vs. CRIMINALS ON THE RUN

click to enlarge

70. X-MEN vs. FANTASTIC FOUR

click to enlarge

71. FRECKLES AND HIS FRIENDS vs. ROMANTIC ADVENTURES

click to enlarge

72. COMIC CAVALCADE vs. FLAMING CARROT

click to enlarge

Thriftshop Debutante #880167 12/07/15 07:36 AM
Wanderer
Online Confused
Wanderer
73. FIRST KISS vs. CRIME MYSTERIES

click to enlarge

74. LEAVE IT TO BINKY vs. A DATE WITH JUDY

click to enlarge

75. POPPO OF THE POPCORN THEATRE vs. MARGE'S TUBBY

click to enlarge

76. DON WINSLOW OF THE NAVY vs. KATY KEENE PIN-UP PARADE

click to enlarge

Thriftshop Debutante #880192 12/07/15 09:06 AM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
69. Criminals on the Run: Wow, the paper has the whole plan to capture me! I'll just read...no! I've set the paper on fire. Darn my pyromaniacial tendencies. Still, setting fire to old men is wrong. I'm sure it must be. So Crims (as it's known to us who learned how to commit crime through a subscription to it) wins by default.

70. FF: If that's unquestionably the most spectacular new character of the year, the nippleless Tarzan must be the only character they introduced that year. I wonder if his fuzzy shorts are made from Sabretooth hide after they died out from having stupidly long Marvel teeth. FF wins entirely for Reed's expression. I could go on about breaking the fourth wall or hero/villain switches but it's really that.

71. Romantic Adventures
Boy: You can't say I don't get around.
Girl: Me too. I've slept with everyone on this carousel.
Boy: >stony silence< not everyone.
Not a funny enough cover to beat the well drawn angst over on Romantic Adventures! A third wheel might be really useful if something goes wrong with the coaster. Otherwise she's a drip.

72. Great match up Teeds. Comic Cavalcade: Wonder Woman is the captain of that boat. Lantern is tanked on emerald martinis and the Flash is about to change into his bikini at super speed. I bought that Flaming Carrot issue. It's a whimsical idea. Bringing the bed with you when picking up chicks. No, wait a minute...that's not right...

73. Crime Mysteries: Where's the angst in First Kiss? Where's the drunken gutter sex of a mardi gras? nowheresville! Who wants a swimming pool shaped like Buster Crabbe anyway? Nope. The angst is all in a crime title selling it's soul for a few new readers by switching genres. Anything to keep the (were)wolf from the door.

74. Leave it to Binky: Just how I feel about beaches. A date with Judy is far too tame. What are they? Six?

75. Tubby: Watch concussed Poppo's violent new personality! I feel sorry for him. The kids are just laughing at his impending pain. Tubby ain't going to be Tubby for long. He's going to be thin. Thinly covering the walls of the room after the experiment.

76. Don Winslow: Winslow's buddies picked the slowest possible vehicles that they could find to provide reinforcements. "If this don't kill the joik, nothin' will. Oh, if only we could have gotten to him sooner General. Curse these slow tracked vehicles!" Not even my ankle fetish is strong enough to put up with outfits as ugly as Katy Keene's cover.

Thriftshop Debutante #880417 12/08/15 06:53 PM
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
OP Offline
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
77. SUPER COMICS vs. SPEED COMICS

78. ASTONISHING X-MEN vs. POWERS

79. 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY vs. MARVEL PREMIERE

80. SHOWCASE vs. SUPERMAN'S GIRLFRIEND LOIS LANE

Thriftshop Debutante #880424 12/08/15 07:30 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
77. Super Comics

78. Powers

79. MARVEL PREMIERE

80. SUPERMAN'S GIRLFRIEND LOIS LANE

Thriftshop Debutante #880473 12/09/15 09:09 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
21. Bunny – love that groovy sixties party sense and style!

22. Akiko – didn’t really like either all that much but I like how the sketches in the background here play against the image and the logo

23.The Spectre – more color, more pop.

24. Unusual Tales – I like both of these old Charltons but the bigger background and Ditko-sensibilities of UT put it over the top for me. Both are really terrific, moody covers.

25. Mopsy – Both gags are sexy in a fun, young way. Mopsy’s cover though is simpler and gets it done with less clutter.

26. Boy Meets Girl – two covers I’ve never seen before but both that I like. I enjoy the dancing sequence better as it adds a little extra charm. Plus, both of those guys are obviously Cobalt Kid and that is often the response I get when dancing or when my picture is viewed.

27. Crime Patrol – I like this old EC one because while the other looks like the crook might be an innocent man on the run, the Crime Patrol cover looks more savage. The man looks like he really is the wanted criminal they’re looking for and that gives it added grit.

28. My Love – love, love, love that late 60’s / early 70’s fashion, and the “how does feminism intersect with young love?” question isn’t being laughed at here.

29. Jughead – a character is truly iconic when numerous images like this one sum up his entire modus operandi all at once.

30. Rex Mundi – I really like this cover: moody and you can really feel the chill in the air.

Thriftshop Debutante #880474 12/09/15 09:10 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors

31. Zatanna – excellent cover—a modern version of a classic trope from the eras of old.

32. Flash Comics – just stunning

33. Amazing Mystery Funnies – while the Weird Fantasy cover is a classic, AMF is just super-interesting with its shadow work, the huge castle in the background and of course the train launching upwards and blocking out the logo. Plus it has one of my favorite obscure heroes, the Fantom of the Fair.

34. Teen Titans Go! – a cover I’ve never seen before, I love the explosive “pop” brought to an old cover-structure standby.

35. Barbie Fashion – this one just looks so weird and cold that it feels almost unnerving and sinister. Surely not what was intended, but I can’t help but think of Alan Moore writing this comic within, and the pages inside are designed to make you question all that you’ve seen before.

36. Doll Man – terrific idea: it’s innately hilarious and yet also contains Jesus Christ undertones.

37. American Virgin – super-stylized, it’s sexy, uncomfortable and artistic all at once.

38. Doctor Who – I don’t really like either honestly, but I like the coloring and shadowing on the Doctor’s scarf and coat.

39. Wow Comics – iconic image of Mary Marvel. She looks powerful and yet also like America’s Sweetheart all at the same time.

40. Promethea – stunning. Simply stunning.

MLLASH #880476 12/09/15 09:23 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Originally Posted by MLLASH
11. WATCHMEN but I am intrigued to see THRILLER. THRILLER was the 80s comic I BOUGHT-- SOLEY BECAUSE-- IT seemed like you were SUPPOSED TO, and if you didn't you were missing something. in truth, you would only have missed muddled and pointless comic books. looking back I am glad I bought it because I had a serious in when AMBUSH BUG miniseeries got popular!

I got a case of the THRILLERS again in the 90s, buying many terrible VERTIGO comics and IMAGE titles... soley because... fans who didn't were made to feel inferior. I know it aounds crazy and impossible but in the severely limited outlets fans had for news and communication with each other, it was a regular THING to witness ads or articles that all but screamed VERTIGO AND IMAGE ARE THE BEST COMICS EVER AND NOT READING THEM MEANS YOU ARE A STUPID UNFUCKABLE BABY WITH A SHITTY DIAPER, so go read some HarVEY TITLES, YOU STUPID ASSHOLE, THEN KILL YOURSELF, this comic shop doesn't want or need your money and you should die.
I embellish slightly but I'm not wrong either.

Nowadays, i read and love what I like and everyone else can suck it, and reading bullshit i hated never got me a cute comics-loving boyfriend anyway. abut yeah, I hoped it would it my young days. Young people are stupid. Young Lash was anywaY!
This was also amplified by large comic book stores having ads within the comics themselves. You'd be reading a Marvel comic and there were ads for comics from other companies! And *those* ads absolutely did what you're describing above!

Thriftshop Debutante #880477 12/09/15 09:23 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors

41. Black Terror – super-exciting cover full of cover and lush backgrounds.

42. Plastic Man (DC) – a really terrific example of DC’s covers in the late 60’s: lush color against dark backgrounds; sharp inks and edges; groovy logos; “bigger” viewpoints. I’ve grown to love the covers from this era more and more, especially by Infantino.

43. Jon Sable, Freelance – incredible Grell cover, obviously full of enthusiasm and love.

44. Little Max – the red frame works better than the blue.

45. Green Lantern (SA) – the Golden Age one is great and Vandal Savage looks terrifying, but something about the SA cover draws me in. A lot of it is nostalgia, as it was a favorite of mine as a kid and I used to always ask my Dad and Uncle to read me the Silver Age GL’s.

46. Amazing Spider-Man – iconic Spidey cover. Trivia time: Ditko had previously done a different cover, which I think is beautiful. Stan didn’t like it and wanted another one so Ditko did this one. And this one is damn brilliant, so it was a good call.

47. Hawkman (1980’s) – really beautiful cover with the stars, shaded Superman and angles presenting different sizes for the three characters.

48. Avengers – c’mon. Kirby and the ‘iconic original’ line-up where the Avengers are exploding out at the reader and yet the Wasp is flying back in towards the action? Who does that? Kirby, that’s who. You basically know where you’d be standing exactly if you were there.

49. Challengers of the Unknown – there’s too much awesome not to love it.

50. Sea Devils – talk about a series where the covers were simply to die for, even if the stories within were a little redundant. #10 is no exception. I will say Super Magician has a terrific cover too, though.

Thriftshop Debutante #880478 12/09/15 09:23 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors

51. My Greatest Adventure – I love the power on display here, which comes across because of how different the two characters are in both pose and look (almost naked versus in old timey wetsuit). Plus the misty water adds additional tension.

52. Boy Comics – I don’t know Iron Jaw from a whole in the wall, but damned if he doesn’t look like the single worst villain in the history of literature right here.

53. Weird Mystery Tales – so much terror and so beautiful to behold. Fantastic.

54. The Frogmen – I’m a big fan of frogmen war stories because it was such a genre of the times. But what I like most about Dell’s “The Frogmen” is its groovy logo!

55. The Crusades – love the lighting, and just the right amount of blood to set you on edge.

56. Nick Fury, Agent of Shield – have a very Merry Hatemonger Christmas! It’s so ridiculous that its awesome.

57. Just Imagine – really love the colors popping in the background.

58. Sleeper – wonderfully done by Phillips in a way that makes you just need to know what’s inside.

59. All-Star Comics – not only do I love the way Hawkman is flying down all iconic-like, I just love when Bats and Supes join the JSA on the covers in the Silver Age.

60. Daring New Adventures of Supergirl – some of the linework is choppy and overly stylized, but damn if I don’t just love this cover.

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,021
Posts1,045,242
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
JackMythos
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Dairaioh
Dairaioh
Florida
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star