Roll Call
0 members (), 34 Murran Spies, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/09/24 10:26 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by stile86 - 05/09/24 07:36 PM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by stile86 - 05/09/24 07:35 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by stile86 - 05/09/24 07:32 PM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Legion Tracker - 05/09/24 07:29 PM
Legion Trivia 6
by thoth lad - 05/09/24 03:34 PM
Kill This Thread LII - The End of the Deck of Cards
by Ann Hebistand - 05/09/24 03:29 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: The Tops in Tens!
Thriftshop Debutante #880588 12/09/15 07:36 PM
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
OP Offline
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
81. MS. MARVEL vs. ALL-NEW ULTIMATES

click to enlarge click to enlarge

82. AVENGERS vs. JUSTICE LEAGUE INTERNATIONAL

83. DOCTOR TOMORROW vs. AGENTS OF ATLAS

84. MYSTERY COMICS vs. WONDER COMICS

Thriftshop Debutante #880612 12/10/15 05:13 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
81 Ms Marvel

82 Avengers - they look so happy

83 Agents of Atlas

84 Wonder Comics

Thriftshop Debutante #880717 12/10/15 06:30 PM
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
OP Offline
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
85. SHAZAM vs. SUICIDE SQUAD

86. THE FUNNIES vs. FEATURE FUNNIES

87. METAL MEN vs. METAMORPHO

88. LOVE AND ROMANCE vs. SECRET ROMANCE

Thriftshop Debutante #880718 12/10/15 06:42 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
85. SUICIDE SQUAD - yeah, you tell Batman off!

86. FEATURE FUNNIES - explosions are cool

87. METAMORPHO - pretty colors

88. SECRET ROMANCE - less confusing. no hair getting in everyone's faces

Thriftshop Debutante #880876 12/11/15 01:12 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Online Confused
Tempus Fugitive
77. Super Comics: The Dick Tracy pic tells uys that the artist has a decent knowledge of how a punch is thrown. In Speed, Shock's arm has just been drawn next to the insect's (soon to be replacing the wasps round at Lash's place) face. I'm not sure why the suburbless city is burning. Does the alien insect fart fire?

78. X-Men: Cassaday's art focuses the reader right at the source of the Prof's powers, and the colouring gives it a subtle feel of being mind controlled as a reader. Whatsherface over in Powers could really be anywhere. There's not really a feeling of threat, oor of a reason for her to be in the shadows.

79. 2001: Big questions here. The nature of the soul. Is a person more than a machine, nicely illustrated by having the head being held out by robotic arms. And a day trip to Hades just to add in some mainstream religious bearing to it too. Over in Strange it's another pic of Doc 'Tache blasting some tentacles with arcane powers.

80. Lois Lane: Two good ones. The whole planet blows up but all it's nasty super weapons seem to have survived intact. So like Lois to open something with "forbidden" anywhere near it. I'm not sure what the mace was in there for. Perhaps Supes uses it as a fetish box too. We get the squirming of Supes at Lana's proposal combined with the comedy of baby Lois thinking he's a Super Cad. Both covers have excellent colouring. They fill the covers without detracting form the centrepiece.

81. Ultimates: Neither really grab me. Both are well enough drawn, with nice colouring but they don't make me want to know more. girl running with LockJaw against girl musing on bomb. Could have been either. I'll go with Ultimates for having the better costume and the whole sitting on a bomb thing is a better concept.

82. Avengers: Crumbs I remember getting both of these. The Avengers story had their dead members return while the League story had them attack a Manhunters world as part of the Millennium event. The Avengers had clunky dialogue and the dull Grim Reaper and the League had G'Nort and a dull crossover event. Both had top artists, but Perez is the stronger of the two. As usual the detail such as on the balloons and the crowd get the win.

83. Agents of Atlas: Poor Doc Tomorrow. Once he was famous. Now he has the pose of a constipated old man caught short in a rainy alley. Atlas loses points for the boots they think an assassin would wear. But Sterankoesque floaty targets wins.

84. Mystery Comics: In the '80s being a vigilante meant being an obsessed loner with mental health issues. This is what they thought the grim golden age guys were like. But back in the actual Golden age, you could throw crooks to their deaths with a smile on your face. It was fun to be a vigilante. Wonder shows us that it's fine to shoot unarmed opponents in the face, 'cause they are different to us. A faceless other who all look alike. A tactic used by war propaganda for ages. If only he had smiled when he killed them, he might have won.

85. Shazam! Why the woman thinks Marvel can marry her to the pastor is a mystery but it's better than an intimidated looking Batman. It was an early example of him turning up just so that the main characters in that book could take him down a peg to make themselves look more important. Se Flash, Green Lantern ad nauseam... At least Ostrander tried to get a story out of it, I guess.

86. Feature Funnies: It has marginally better art and the gag is a bit stronger than the attempted murder over in The Funnies. The comics equivalent of desperate vaudeville acts in both of these, eking out a four colour living any way they can.

87. Metal Men: Element Girl was a crazy cookie in Metamorpho, but in the Contest of Covers she's no match for the chemistry bending effects of the Magnus' Metal Misfits.

88. Secret Romance. Both a little too modern and both have a certain lack of angstyness. Despite being a bit too purple, the outfit in Secret Romance is an easy winner. It beats the border of hearts.

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Invisible Brainiac #880877 12/11/15 01:13 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Online Confused
Tempus Fugitive
Originally Posted by Invisible Brainiac
88. SECRET ROMANCE - less confusing. no hair getting in everyone's faces

Spider Girl crossover?

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Thriftshop Debutante #880890 12/11/15 02:31 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
If Sussa had been on the other cover, I would have chosen that!

Thriftshop Debutante #881055 12/12/15 09:42 AM
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
OP Offline
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
61. JUSTICE. Cool over hot.

62. DOLLY by default, even though I think it's creepy. At least the idea of a candy-filled landscape is solid. Who the hell is The Toodles supposed to attract? Why would kids be interested in this no-gag image of kids about to get yelled at? Why would a parent be compelled to buy this for the kids?

63. IMPULSE. The speed lines on "Absolute" a great touch. I like the general idea of Dynamic, but I still haven't seen Dynamic art that I like.

64. FIRESTORM. The false city in the other is interesting, but the incorporation of the photo in the Firestorm art grans the eye.

65. SINGLE SERIES (LITTLE MARY MIXUP) even though it suffers without context. I don't know this character so I don't know exactly why it's "funny" but I prefer the art.

66. DARLING LOVE I guess. Not really that interested in either.

67. RED ROBIN I suppose. New Comics logo AMATEUR.

68. GIRL GENIUS -- although both are attractive (even if a little cray)

69. Criminals is garish -- and what a clunky way of conveying the information. But The Funnies is fading out and that annoys me. Garish and clunky it is. CRIMINALS ON THE RUN.

70. X-MEN. FF gots a little of the cray, but the varying scale + featureless background loses it.

71. ROMANTIC ADVENTURES. Just far better art, and that slight curve is a nice touch.

72. COMIC CAVALCADE.

73. FIRST KISS The colors and streamers do it for me.

74. LEAVE IT TO BINKY. Pretty much same quality of drawing and general cover idea. I'll go for the happy clutter of the "alone" cover.

75. TUBBY. Poppo don't even have a chance.

76. DON WINSLOW

77. SUPER although I did the Speed cray

78. ASTONISHING X-MEN 79. 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY I agree with Thoth's assessments

80. I prefer the disembodied hand -- but not the big red header. LOIS LANE

81. Pretty evenly matched. Both attractive enough, but neither are a huge WOW. I suppose ULTIMATES because it makes me curious why that person is so nonchalant.

82. JLI, I suppose. That jagged rainbow radiance tips it.

83. DOCTOR TOMORROW. I'm buying the moodiness.

84. WONDER COMICS just drives me nuts. It looks like something that was made 'today' to be a critical prop & plot point in a movie or TV show. Mystery Comics needs a re-coloring pronto.

85. No t really into either. SUICIDE SQUAD I suppose

86. FEATURE FUNNIES. A much better complete package. Take notes, The Funnies.

87. METAL MEN

88. LOVE AND ROMANCE Secret Romance's sequence not great. Plus I like that L&R gal looks ANNOYED

Thriftshop Debutante #881109 12/12/15 03:17 PM
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
OP Offline
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
89. HAWKEYE vs. SEX CRIMINALS

90. TALES OF THE MYSTERIOUS TRAVELER vs. LOVE DIARY

91. MILITARY COMICS vs. HORRIFIC

92. JUSTICE LEAGUE EUROPE vs. JACK OF FABLES

Thriftshop Debutante #881110 12/12/15 04:01 PM
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
OP Offline
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
93. HOWDY DOODY vs. MAGILLA GORILLA

94. BATMAN vs. SENSATION COMICS

95. SECRETS OF LOVE AND MARRIAGE vs. LOVE EXPERIENCES

96. LIBERTY COMICS vs. ROLY-POLY COMICS

Thriftshop Debutante #881115 12/12/15 05:06 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
93. MAGILLA GORILLA - who looks less punchable

94. Sensation Comics - I want my superheroes to do something, dang it, not just stand there!

95. Love Experiences - the other one looks like she's about to give mouth to mouth'
'
96. Roly-Poly Comics - weird alien thingies on weird monster thingies is a winning combination

Thriftshop Debutante #881142 12/13/15 02:59 AM
Tempus Fugitive
Online Confused
Tempus Fugitive
NOTE OT IBBS: You might have missed out one of Teeds posts!

89. Sex Criminals: Putting the Eye into Bullseye. But combining the Crims art with the story title of "Together Alone" clicks nicely. Pinks aren't usually a colour choice for comics so some points there too.

90. Mysterious Traveller: Note that the win a pony! competition is a lure to get you into the sequel of "The Law Against Love." All the couples seem a bit dull and I'm not really interested in their love lives. Not that the Giffen-like traveller (like an Indy Phantom Stranger) is much better. But it has Little Boy Blue on the cover, who would go on to defeat Doctor Light. Statues coming to life reminds me of Martian Manhunter. Perhaps that's who the Traveller is.

91. Horrific: It wins for the dripping logo. It tries to make the background to the log/ ice or condensation on the window but doesn't quite pull it off. But Military just throws everything at the cover. Does this panel interest you? No? What about this one? Or this random word? Loops and Banks and Shot and Shell are two golden age creative teams that are remembered only dimly today?

92. I don't remember this JLE cover, but I must have it around somewhere. Sears art hasn't dated well for me. Too many muscles. I thought they were little Starros falling but that was another story. Fables would win anyway for combining the logo into the cover art. Nice use of the flow of money form the slot machine sweeping the characters along.

93. Magilla Gorilla: I just want to see how it works. You don't get to see the next panel of Howdy Doody, where he discovers the rat trap placed inside the jar.

94. Hey! You ain't Doll Man! Get yer own schtick! An' quit smilin'! Youse are grim avengers of the night! Wonder Woman art is not as good, but she's not breaking the fourth wall and it's good to see her in full a blown comic action scene on a cover.

95. L&M: The man in L&M and the Woman in LE may actually be dead. Probably not much more life in any of the stories inside either. L&M wins because I can imagine being at the beach instead of reading it. But the lady's swimwear should match the floral logo. Or have Polka Dots obviously.

96. Gosh! Liberty Comics! Where Asthmatic Man can give chase to Skinny Out of Breath Man! Hear the damsel say "You know, put me down and I can just walk. I'm too big for you to carry." What a mag! Other than the great title - because who doesn't like some Roly Poly? - it has demonic undead creatures with ray gins on alien steeds. And Doll Man! who must have been in the huff after Bats stole his gimmick back in 94. Roly Poly wins!

thoth lad #881155 12/13/15 03:35 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Originally Posted by thoth lad
NOTE OT IBBS: You might have missed out one of Teeds posts!

Thanks thothy!!

89. Hawkeye - keeps the cover from being too monotonous

90.Love Diary

91.Military Comics - less creepy

92. Justice League Europe - not at all biased by my liking for the team

Thriftshop Debutante #881203 12/13/15 11:57 AM
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
OP Offline
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
97. DAREDEVIL vs. WEB OF SPIDER-MAN

98. SPIDER-WOMAN vs. DAREDEVIL

99. THE MANY LOVES OF DOBIE GILLIS vs. BINKY'S BUDDIES

100. MARGE'S LITTLE LULU vs. POPEYE

Thriftshop Debutante #881212 12/13/15 12:10 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
97. Daredevil - Echo is looking great

98. Spider-Woman - Spidey is looking great

99. 99. THE MANY LOVES OF DOBIE GILLIS - nice unique faces

100. MARGE'S LITTLE LULU - better gag IMO

Thriftshop Debutante #881248 12/13/15 01:29 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Online Confused
Tempus Fugitive
97. Daredevil: From the company that gives us Astonishing, Uncanny, Amazing etc. all they could think of for Daredevil was "Here Comes"? "Here comes Daredevil to the checkout with his shopping." "Here comes Daredevil with his laundry." Dull. Dominic Fortune is never winning this for endangering the cat on the Spidey cover. And he has silly boots. And if I wanted to see someone being shot at in an alley, I'd be watching Captain Scarlet.

98. Spider Woman: "Where flies the Gypsy Moth?" Why into this giant Bug Zapper I got Reed to build. Bye Moth! Nice of them to give us the setting and the storyline on a cover caption. If the pic didn't convince me not to bother, that would. Oh, Daredevil has always had the "Here Comes..." thing? Shows how many issues of his book I've bought. Despite the low bar set by Spidey, his villains are even less interesting. Spidey-Woman wins.

99. Doiby: All I'm getting from the Doiby cover is that the two guys are a couple. Foreground guy is signed as neighbour and other guy has a sign declaring his love for him. Well done DC for showing an early Pride march. As much as I'd love to follow the ambulances to the burn units in Binky, the art is quite a bit better on Doiby so it gets the win.

100. Both covers show important consumer issues. In Lulu we see a clear example of paying for services that don't work, either through taxes, or in this case, through private enterprise. Over in Popeye, we learn all about quality control in the food industry. Inside, Popeye gets his stomach pumped, and we learn all about food hygiene and not eating food covered in pesticides. Also that balance between killing the worms, providing food and protecting the environment. Two fine upstanding comics. So it comes down to wondering what Olive has fallen in love with off cover, and the little fishes on Lulu. It's ....little fishes. Well done Lulu!

thoth lad #881291 12/13/15 04:53 PM
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
OP Offline
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
Originally Posted by thoth lad
100. Both covers show important consumer issues. In Lulu we see a clear example of paying for services that don't work, either through taxes, or in this case, through private enterprise.

#10. Use economics terms to provide a descriptive caption for the following cartoon image. (10 points)

click to enlarge

Extra credit: name the cause and effect of the Invisible Hands moonlighting in the entertainment industry.

click to enlarge

Thriftshop Debutante #881292 12/13/15 05:11 PM
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
OP Offline
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
97. WEB OF SPIDER-MAN. I like the look of the tattered poster, and how its light blue background sets off Dominic Fortune.

98. DAREDEVIL.

99. THE MANY LOVES OF DOBIE GILLIS. No pancakes were harmed in the making of this cover!

100. MARGE'S LITTLE LULU. Top notch! While the art on Popeye is quality and the badass worm is kinda chucklesome, why is this a cover?

Thriftshop Debutante #881296 12/13/15 05:35 PM
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
OP Offline
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
89. HAWKEYE. Maybe I'd appreciate the SC more if I'd read the issue?

90. LOVE DIARY. I don't nec. like split focus covers such as this, but it comes together for me.

91. HORRIFIC. It looks like a modern comic done in the vintage style. Military Comics more like Kitchen Sink Comics.

92. JACK OF FABLES. Love the logo. The two-armed scoundrel vs. the one-armed bandit! Great stuff.

93. MAGILLA GORILLA. Funny how something so simple as a banana vending machine just WORKS.

94. SENSATION. Diagonal Diana laying in the smackdown.

95. LOVE EXPERIENCES. The cushions look cozy and I like the color scheme.

96. Good grief. I think we can file these under "more enthusiasm than talent". That Liberty logo is annoying me with its amateurishness. ROLY-POLY by default.

Thriftshop Debutante #881297 12/13/15 07:18 PM
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
OP Offline
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
101. FREEDOM FIGHTERS vs. GHOSTS

102. X-STATIX vs. CLIVE BARKER'S NEXT TESTAMENT

103. CRACK COMICS vs. HIT COMICS

104. SKELETON KEY vs. LITTLE SCROWLIE

Thriftshop Debutante #881301 12/13/15 07:41 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
1o1. Freedom Fighters

102. X-Statix

103. Hit comics

104. Skeleton Key

Thriftshop Debutante #881685 12/16/15 11:24 AM
Tempus Fugitive
Online Confused
Tempus Fugitive
101: Ghosts: The angle of the art allows for a foreground paw print, our protagonists; a haunted mansion and an apparition above it. Oh, and the logo. A lot to capture the reader's attention without any clutter. Freedom Fighters is just an action shot that could be anywhere, with any group. That was the thing with them. They never found a niche or a style. Seeing Doll Man in a bird cage reminds me of something in an Alan Moore Twilight of the Gods type thing. My memory tells me he had Doll Man as a sort of Bird thing. Connected to this story?

102. X-Statix. New Testament is more intricate, but it lacks any point or ability to draw in a reader's curiosity. Statix captures a lot more of a character's life. I don't know who the "she" is that's back. But you get some idea from the things around her.

103. Crack. A plethora of great Golden Age characters across both titles. But Crack gets the win for having Condor use the logo to swing from.

104. Scrowlie: Toughie. Skeleton Key has the better framing of the central characters. It also tells more of a story with that central panel. But Scrowlie's logo seems to be much more a part of the art. Little touches in the clothing and other characters show better art, and certainly something a bit different storywise. The pattern above the logo is also a nice touch, comparable with Key's framing. While it's not as effective, it gets points for being a little different too.

Thriftshop Debutante #881732 12/16/15 08:03 PM
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
OP Offline
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
105. LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES vs. INFINITY INC.

106. LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES vs. 'MAZING MAN

107. MY LITTLE MARGIE'S BOYFRIENDS vs. SCRIBBLY

108. JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA vs. AQUAMAN

Thriftshop Debutante #881733 12/16/15 08:45 PM
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
OP Offline
Terrifyingly On-Topic.
109. CAPTAIN MARVEL vs. SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN

110. AMERICAN FLAGG vs. FUN AND GAMES

111. MASTER COMICS vs. MARY MARVEL

112. HAWKWORLD vs. REX LIBRIS

Thriftshop Debutante #881741 12/17/15 03:42 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
105. INFINITY INC. - sad to say, more compelling

106. 106. LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES - also more compelling

107. MY LITTLE MARGIE'S BOYFRIENDS

108. 108. JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA

109. CAPTAIN MARVEL

110. . FUN AND GAMES

111. MARY MARVEL

112. HAWKWORLD

Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,021
Posts1,045,234
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
JackMythos
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
jab
jab
mini mall island
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star