Roll Call
0 members (), 37 Murran Spies, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/11/24 09:37 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Eryk Davis Ester - 05/10/24 04:47 PM
Kill This Thread LII - The End of the Deck of Cards
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 04:29 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:58 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:56 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:55 AM
Legion Trivia 6
by thoth lad - 05/09/24 03:34 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Your Legion dream team!
#87974 07/08/03 02:57 PM
G
Leader
OP Offline
Leader
G
What would be your Legion "dream team"? With the best characters as pulled from any era, in any number? And with the changes to their qualities, powers, or situations as you deem necessary? Want to give it a try?

This has been a perennial topic, especially with setting a limit as to number. Let's try it without one ... "Legion" means "many," I contend, and a place such as Legion WORLD calls for a multitude.

I'm re-posting my own latest contribution (from late 2001) to get started. You don't have to be as detailed as I've been! A simple roster is just fine.

If you've ended up reworking character qualities or names, though, as I have, it would be fascinating to know just what thoughts you had to flesh out such variations.

Oh, and welcome to visitors from the Legion board at the new DCMBs -- and you're encouraged to register your own favorite user name and stay awhile! (I linked to this topic from a similar one on that board.)

Re: Your Legion dream team!
#87975 07/08/03 02:59 PM
G
Leader
OP Offline
Leader
G
The LSH, if I wrote it, would continue with a largely rebuilt, chastened, still threatened by renegades, but notably less statist United Planets, about three years after the Magic Wars. No dark dystopia, very little murky noir, they'd know their nemeses and would rarely turn on each other.

I'll note the one obvious character choice (for me) first, and in detail.

Dawnstar would be there, with her classic tracking powers. Her yellow outfit with headband would be as shown by Sherman and (early) Giffen, but with fringed bracelets and sleeveless. Also a longer (15-foot) feathered wingspan, some shading to her wings, a limited telekinetic and space-manipulating power, more consistent strength level, and more training to avoid injuries. We'd know she could do 16 light years per hour in warp, though she could exceed it when traveling along with others, such as her frequent mission partners Valor or Shikari.

Dawny would have a greater regard for her own value, without needing constant reassurance. She'd have two deep female friends in the Legion. Tasmia (here, Umbra) befriended her from their early days as members, and knows the strain of expectations from being champion of one's home planet. And Shikari is her close partner on many detached missions, from having similar scope in investigative talents -- she with people and objects, Shikari with -words- and persuasion.

Also, Dawnstar has a clear tribal heritage -- say, from the northwest American coast, thus less stereotypical for our era. She should have and often use the (later) Giffen buckskin for ceremony and nightlife, but not in combat. She would wear unwrapped braids or a hair ornament more often. She'll eat cookies <g>. We would meet her two winged brothers, both Academy students.

Finally, she wouldn't try to take up that less-impossible romantic link with Wildfire, though it'd be offered and welcomed, and they'd be warm friends ... (Timber) Wolf would encourage Ayla to go to the woman that she really loves ... and Dawny and Brin would have a grand, enduring, very much sexual passion, though no marriage or kids for now.

Along with Dawnstar, I'd have these 36 members, none of whom I'd want to do without, although some could be rotated into the reserves, especially when raising their kids. All would be initially between human ages 14 (Kinetix) and 23 (Valor), and they'd age about one year for every three to four issue years.

In mulling their names and situations, I do think it's time for them to grow up a bit. And as others have said, it's a big galaxy out there ...

~ Alchemist: Jan Arrah, v2 black/green outfit; one of only 10 Trom survivors, but most -adept- for now at the same v2/v3 powers; can also generate some matter from ambient energy; not quite so naive; loves Sol Sector Police's LSH liaison Shvaughn Erin, very much and always a redheaded and fervently Irish woman.

~ Andromeda: Laurel KENT, a true Supes descendant, but line goes through Daxam, and cousin of Valor; reboot Laurel Gand's starburst outfit, powers, weaknesses (though cured by Brainy as in postboot); blond, a bit aloof, but fierce crusader against home planet's racism; unrequited crush on Brainy -- reversed for once!

~ Blok: His near-earliest look in v2, with nose and stone "ring" around neck; can shape and animate silicon at his touch, down to microchips; solid-wall invulnerability; knows of a handful of fellow Dryad silicon-life survivors, but is slow finding them; otherwise similar in plodding perseverance and generosity of spirit.

~ Brainiac Five: Querl Dox, about the same as in v2-to-v3, but ditches that jumpsuit sometimes; more content with his lot, but more ties to Colu; aware on other mind-tracks when one of them is unstable; blows up lab regularly, oldest running LSH joke; deeply loves Dr. Chaseer, colleague at the Time Institute.

~ Chameleon: Reep Daggle, with only the "boy" dropped from how he was portrayed in v3, but more impetuous; has abilities of his shapeshifted forms, but only for about 10 minutes at most before having to change; father is not R.J. Brande (who is otherwise the same); very close friends with Vapor.

~ Dreamer: Nura Nal, v2/v3 classic white garb a must; same precognitive powers, but induced usually at will; rejected High Seer position but is Naltor's power behind the "throne"; published scientist, only a few steps below Brainy in ability and with more real-world practical sense; only a touch of the vamp, but unmistakable when she uses it; loves Starman.

~ Empath: Imra Ardeen, in her fuchsia '70s look; massive telepathic ability, with a small bit of telekinetic power added; also has Mentalla's mind-changing ability, fiercely resists using it, submits easily to Brainy's pragmatism; less of "ice princess" cliche, present at times; married to Live Wire quite early.

~ Ferro: Andrew Nolan, the Adventure-era original in abilities and personality, but not disfigured or masked; can "weld" self to metallic objects; barely survived the Sun-Eater; Koko, the intelligent monkey from the reboot, stays with him and speaks with translator.

~ Flash: Jenni Ognats, just as she's shown in v4, along with having the name she always deserved; broad intellect from constant reading -- her eyes move fast, as well; friends with Brainy; unrequited crush on Valor.

~ Gossamer: Ayla Ranzz, v2 outfit; can shift mass, as with v4 Kono, as well as decrease it, and antigravity powers came from how Korbal's beasts uniquely affected her; inspired and attracted (Timber) Wolf to LSH, but is now only his fast friend; loves and lives with Micron quite openly.

~ Iceman: Brek Bannin, still short and punchy, ready for action; nearly same as original outfit, but loses the Michelin Man touch; same cold-making powers; consulting HVAC engineer on side; Inferno is best friend.

~ Inferno: Dirk Morgna, same heat-making powers and genially obtuse Casanova as in v3; as with all member outfits, slicker one-piece, no-outside-trunks look; consulting nuclear physicist on side; Iceman is best friend.

~ Kinetix: Zoe Saugin, close to v4 original, but a tad more mature and a -real- fashion sense; animation (like Life Lass) and matter-rearranging (not transmuting) powers rooted in mutagens, not magic; youngest Legionnaire; prone to pulling them into embarrassing situations.

~ Lamprey: Tayla Skorr, as in the v2/v3 Academy; patterned-skin look; Aquaman-type control of waterflow and sea life, as well as eel-like shock (but far stronger); clearly visible Asian heritage; can also swim in methane-mix or almost any water-containing fluid; Tellus and Quislet are best friends.

~ Leviathan: Gim Allon, in every way other than Legion name identical to v2/v3; practicing Jew; married Gigi Cusimano when they were both in Sol Sector Police, as she still is (Mars Chief of Station).

~ Live Wire: Garth Ranzz, v3 outfit, same electrical ability; married Empath quite early, stays at home for only a few years with the kids; just as ambitious but more realistic, less self-pity; makes fortune for family investing in Winath gen-mod agriculture.

~ Magno: Rokk Krinn, late-v2 outfit (yes, showing shoulders and legs); same powers, though can stir up nonferrous metals a bit as well; absentee sponsor and manager of magnoball pro players; loves White Witch.

~ Mano: Val(erio) Armorr, dojo v2 outfit with collar half as high; hands can move at super-speed, result of mutagenic change from father when injured on Lythyl; uses those hands to carry out same every-known-world martial arts, thus his name; Hispanic heritage; married to Sensor.

~ Micron: Violet (one name), v2 "arrow"/purple outfit and Imsk shrinking powers; some but not all of the abrasive-but-logical v3 attitude; can miniaturize tools she uses as well; loves and lives with Gossamer quite openly.

~ Nightwind: Berta Harris (two Rs), as in the v2/v3 Academy; not shawl-covered, but dramatic cape as shown in v2; full powers over planetary weather, similar to Storm over at Marvel; weather-sensing antennae; loves Refracto.

~ Phase: Tinya Wazzo, late v3 outfit; both parents from a Bgztl that's a cosmic anomaly in -this- universe, thus phase-into-tesseract powers; can ghost small amounts of other matter; gunsmith, Legion armorer, and galaxy-ranging weapons expert; loves Ultra.

~ Quislet: Back from Teall but being pursued occasionally; power of mechanical morphing and control, but not -necessarily- destroying whatever it touches; sassy and cheerfully cynical as ever; Tellus and Lamprey are close friends.

~ Rebound: Chuck Taine, v2 getup; same bounce powers, also can multiply inertia back to toss away anyone who strikes him, and can increase inertia enough to move a planet; osteopath and Legion's physician; married to Triad.

~ Refracto: Jacques Foccart, same v2/v3 outfit and invisibility, but loses that white hair streak; can also fade matter of himself, outfit, and tools into mirrored surfaces; philosopher, yet also practicing Christian; still French and is gourmand; loves Nightwind.

~ Sensor: Projectra, humanoid, close to v3 Sensor Girl powers, but with ability to materialize illusions for up to a minute; masked outfit, but closer to later v3 redesign; renounced Orando throne and "illusions of power" long ago, but still has regal bearing; married to Mano.

~ Shikari: Same appearance, dragonflyish wings, and space armor as in "Lost," but can create spacetime warps; highly intelligent, verbally adept to the point of oiliness, and the most talented -natural- translator in the galaxy; friend to Dawnstar, and partner with her on intricate semi-detached Legion investigations.

~ Starman: Thom Kallor, v3 starfield outfit, thick beard a must; can shift mass as with v4 Kono as well as increase it; batball team absentee part-owner and occasional player (think Michael Jordan); loves Dreamer.

~ Tellus: Ganglios, but with truly massive telekinetic powers and only a few telepathic, thus reverse of Empath; otherwise as depicted in v3, including life-support helmet; Lamprey and Quislet are close friends.

~ Triad: Luornu Durgo, v4 outfit, v3 hair; triple bodies are decidedly different personalities (contrasting espionage talents) and spend time each day on their own; martial-arts junior adept, studies with Mano; married to Rebound.

~ Ultra: Jo Nah, late v3 outfit with leather jacket; same powers, but from mutagens awakened by defending a defenseless family on Rimbor from marauders; more than a bit of punk menace, but soft heart; can use any one of previous powers -with- invulnerability; absentee owner of Silverale distributorships, filthy rich; loves Phase.

~ Umbra: Tasmia Mallor, v2's warmer personality, postboot off-shoulders outfit; can dampen or hide any other electromag radiation along with but not apart from light; best friend to Dawnstar; cousin Grev rules Talok VIII, and this drags her into planetary politics; married to Valor, but keeps all her fingers, has forehead wedding-mark instead.

~ Valor: Lar Gand, as in preboot original, but met SuperMAN way back when and was comatose in medical stasis in abandoned Fortress of Solitude, not "phantom zone," until Brainy's serum in 30th; v2/v3 outfit without cape; cousin to Andromeda; married to Umbra; oldest Legionnaire, prone to conservative outlook and avoiding conflicts.

~ Vapor: Tal Nahil, powers as in Gas Girl of Lallor; keeps wispy white hair most of time; humorous streak, constant practical joker, but does her job with tenacity; head of Espionage Squad; very attracted to Chameleon.

~ White Witch: Mysa Nal, same look as v3, but with at least a dozen kick-ass spells -always- at hand along with those researched for special jobs; works with Brainy on finding scientific roots of magic, from being skeptic and having gone to Teachers' Isle only in late teens; LSH protocol officer; loves Magno.

~ Wildfire: Drake Burroughs, same origins, powers, and streetwise personality as in v2 and v3; anti-energy constantly replenished by positrons coming from any star; no suit needed, and could always form a pseudo-body as Quislet did for him in v3, one that doesn't burn a prospective lover ... and has many and varied lovers, for that matter.

~ Wolf: Brin Londo, with v3 powers, near-Valor strength, and LaRocque's only-a-bit-feral features and outfit; wit strongly emphasized; engineering talents, from personal fascination and studying, but no degree, and is on call for maintaining/upgrading the headquarters; loves Dawnstar.

You'll notice many of them are wealthy. That was deliberate. Ten more centuries of accumulated scientific progress should have made many more entrepreneurial possibilities apparent, and this U.P. would be FAR less of a welfare state.

No Super(whoevers), by the way. The 21st and 31st Centuries should each stand on its own, with the only links being through Andromeda, Valor, and (indirectly) Brainy. Time travel is the EXTREMELY rare exception.

And would we need two books for all these talented people? I'd prefer one longer one, 40 pages (main story and profile/origin/affair feature) each month, somewhat in the -form- of Legion Worlds.

#87976 07/09/03 02:21 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
wow Grey, you certainly put a lot of thought into it -- no wonder you saved it. I'll give it a shot:

-- WILDFIRE!!!! preboot version
-- Dawnstar -- cuz she and Wildfire were such a great tragic couple.
-- Rokk Krinn -- TMK non-powered, but experienced heart of the Legion
-- Saturn Girl -- "Iron Butt" Imra. Seems cold and all about business, but really breaks just like a little girl
-- Timberwolf -- Cockrum's costume, lone wolf attitude and appearance. The "all action, little talk" kinda guy.
-- Laurel Gand -- TMK's kick-nass superheroine of the 31st century married to a Green Lantern.
-- Mon-El (preboot) with (postboot) Shady (yeah, that's right, I said "Shady"). It'd be a much more equal relationship than the one preboot. They'd be "one of those couples that fights" but loves that make-up sex.
-- Ferro (SW6 version) - loved Sprouse's costume and loved that (self-destructive?) daredevil attitude.
-- Ultra Boy -- pretty much as he is now, but as clever as he was during TMK's retcon.
-- Apparition -- she's ok as she is, just not saddled with Cub.
-- Sensor Girl (Levitz)
-- Vi (butch Levitz version)

The rest of the team can be current DnA versions I guess.

#87977 07/09/03 09:58 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
This was a lot of fun. Great topic Greybird. Especially since it's all talk and no walk - i.e. I don't have to sit down, actually write the stories and get them by editors and picky Legion fans!

A large dream team for the Cramerverse:

The Founders: Lightning Lad, Saturn Girl, Cosmic Boy - long live the Legion tradition. Some things shouldn't be messed with.

The Power & the Muscle: M'onel, Ultra Boy, Wildfire, Andromeda, Kid Quantum - the first line of defense or attack in any physical battle.

The Fighters: Timber Wolf, Karate Kid, Umbra - three very different personalites but all warriors.

The Espionage Squad: Invisible Kid (Lyle), Chameleon, Shrinking Violet (shrinks only), Apparition, Sensor

The Mystics: Element Lad (meditative, not mentally unstable), White Witch (pre-boot), Dawnstar, Shikari. I would have Shikari join after Dawnstar, be younger and see Dawny as a mentor, maybe even idolize her. Dawnstar would be a bit irked by this sort of attention. I class them as mystics for personality more than for power - although the three women would have powers that "defy scientific explanation". Superstitious magic, Brainy would say. Keep him humble, I say.

The Aliens: Gates, Quislet, Tellus - because it is a big universe and they're fun.

The Guys Who Blow Things Up: Brainiac 5, Calamity King - of course they'd do a lot more than that. Touston is definitely in the Cramerverse.

The Khundish/A.P. Legionnaires: Nightcrawler, Storm, Veilmist - C'mon, the wall has been down for years! The A.P. and the U.P. are going to work together in the Cramerverse. They will have plenty of common enemies as the galaxies open up.

The Twin Thing: Spark - didn't know where else to classify her but like the brother/sister thing.

THERE'S MORE. I'M VERY INCLUSIVE. Characters from the categories below could be used on special missions, as needed, but would usually serve on Legion World.

Administration: RJ Brande, Marla Latham, Triad, Lester Spiffany (RJ owed his dad a favor), Ferro, XS - Ferro returns from Steeple healed but powerless, XS only ever seems to deliver communications or fetch things anyways, Triad is the administrator extraordinaire and I like Lester. You always have some rich guy's son with a window-dressing job in a big corporation - but Lester will try really, really hard.

U.P. Liason: Ambassador Relnic, Jacques Foccart (Jacques recovered but no invisiblity; still Lyle's pal)

S.P. Liason: Shvaughn Erin, Gigi Cusimano, Gim Allon, Dirk Morgna - reporting to Commander Circe

The Geeks (term used with love and respect) Who Keep Legion World Running: Gear, Chuck Taine, Condo Arlik, Lydda Jath - serving under Chief Engineer Sharn Nux. Forget this Heuristic Academy nonsense, she's an engineer and a good one, if a bit frosty. I would have liked to take Bard Brunel, but what sort of chief engineer doesn't know what's in his engine room?

The Hospital: Dr. Gym'll, Kent Shakespeare, Drura Sehpt, a psychologist - can't think of one. I didn't like Dr. Ryk'rr, if that was her name.

The Food: Tenzil Kem, Ral Benem (Chlorophyll Kid -could he grow some veggies!), Athramite sous-chefs

The Time Institute: Rond Vidar, Dr. Chaseer, Arkadia Senius (the cricket guy, I forget his exact name), serving under Glorith of Baaldur - she's a working aristocrat, she's not evil - or is she?

Last, but not least - The Pets: a cat, a dog, a mongoose, a white rat - no capes, no powers - just really cool pets. Sensor and the mongoose would not get on.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
#87978 07/10/03 11:28 AM
G
Leader
OP Offline
Leader
G
Thanks to DrakeB and Fat Cramer, so far! (and a bump ...)

I especially like seeing FC's category of Support Geeks. They're sorely needed, especially in a planet-sized headquarters. And I've enjoyed seeing how Chuck Taine ended up in such a role in post-reboot, pre-DnA.

I know I included Chuck in my roster because, well, the big guys needed someone who would be in the thick of heroic things. As Chuck ended up doing on a surprising number of occasions in the pre-Crisis era.

#87979 07/10/03 08:48 PM
Substitute
Substitute
Since I like the current line up I'll add who I want to see added to their already impressive roster.

Live Wire has to return. In many ways he is part of the heart and soul of the Legion along with Saturn Girl and Cosmic Boy. The experience of death was very sobering to Garth but he’s still the hothead and sometimes jerk he always was. Married to Saturn Girl now.

Element Lad comes back too, some how the crystals he gave Kid Quantum transmuted into Jan Arrah with his memories with the Legion intact. Changes his name to Alchemist.

A new Leviathan is in order but not the dearly departed Gim Allon. Wears the SW6 costume with some v3 elements and he can also grow to more than 30 feet tall.

I love Greybird’s idea for Andromeda but I’d prefer have Laurel Kent as Supergirl with Kingdom Come costume with a darker blue starfield instead of the bright blue. She has a crush of Brainiac 5 but Querl Dox has no idea how she feels about him.

The clone Superboy would definitely be a member. With the Teen Titans as his weekend activity the Legion would be his part-time job complete with the Kingdom Come duds.

We finally see Dirk Morgana come into action as Inferno with the “solar plasma”-based powers Chris Baptisa promised us and Inferno wears the SW6 costume.

Mysa Nal makes her debut in the Legion as the post-boot White Witch with a variant of Kinetix’s costume (from before the Legion broke up post v4)

With Live Wire back, Ayla’s body goes though another change and she gravity-nulling powers are back while her lightning powers go into remission so she takes the name Gossamer and uses the SW6 Costume.

And because I’m lazy let’s add in Tellus, Polar Boy (as Coldsnap),and Silicate (the Stone Boy/Blok creature) and maybe a new Monstress from Gorilla City (with amazing mental and physical prowess from Gorilla City Technology)

A Chaotic Neutral stuck in a Lawful Good world
#87980 07/11/03 02:43 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
All interesting teams.

M'onel, your addition of Polar Boy as "Coldsnap" makes me ask if you would keep his boy scout character? Just that the "snap" made me think he could return with a little more edginess... I'm not the greatest fan of the gosh-golly-gee-whiz Brek but admit he could make for good stories.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
#87981 07/11/03 10:29 AM
Substitute
Substitute
Well I think during the Blight invasion maybe something trumatic happened to him that forced him to grow up and change his name to Coldsnap. He's a pretty serious character that's still in awe of the Legion but he keeps it to himself and does what needs to be done.

A Chaotic Neutral stuck in a Lawful Good world
#87982 07/11/03 10:52 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Great in list GREY !!!

it would be like an 'AVENGERS FOREVER' version of 'The Legion' !!!

i'm gonna have to have a think over my selection, and reply later .....

Matthew.

#87983 07/11/03 03:01 PM
Deputy
Deputy
Me, too. I'm already working on it, but it's going to take a while.

Juan

#87984 07/12/03 06:58 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
This list will be working from the current line-up forward. I think I'll do another list of pulled-from-different-timelines later.

SHRINKING VIOLET: Stressing the shrinking, curious, detective Violet-- though she'd still have the growing power, too. She'd experiment with the possibilities inherent in super-growing combined with the Imskian field (allowing handheld objects and clothing to grow/shrink with the holder/wearer).

Vi would also be a bit more 'Salu Bond'-- using shrinking gadgets and gizmos. There would be compartments built into all the flight rings for Vi to rest in comfort on extended missions-- as well as miniature armories/hangar decks/labs.

I think she'd be able to pick up a fellow Legionnaire while 'grown', and shrink them down to any size needed.

And there'd be no green streak in her hair.

WHITE WITCH: Drura Sepht, known as INFECTIOUS LASS in other realities. A runaway from the highly restricted Somathur (a division of TYLER CHEMICALS, maybe?), she's found employment in the Black Hole. Her name was given to her from one of the criminal groups she helped bring down.

She leaves the Black Hole (and her lover, Jacques) to join the Legion so that she can further her dream of becoming a physician and 'above ground' heroine.

CHLOR: a young emissary sent from the Cosmic Plant thingie from LEGION OF THE DAMNED. He's modeled after M'onel's and Saturn Girl's DNA-- but doesn't have any of their superpowers. He's a humanoid plant with varied plant-based powers and Blok-like curiousity about his teammates.

VEILMIST: Lallorian heroine (perhaps half-khundian?) with the unfortunate nickname 'Gas Girl' given by Gates. She initially works closely with Element Lad and Brainy.

SUN BOY: I'm intrigued by the hints I've seen online. I'd like Dirk to be much more stable than recent incarnations; in fact, I'd like to see the gung-ho ADVENTURE Dirk who's a bit of a martinet when on a mission brought back.

Off-duty, I'd like to see the flirtatious Dirk 'rise'. He could be mainstream comics' first bisexual.

ELEMENT LAD: Heroic, spiritual, but no-longer 'spacey'. His return is a mystery-- as is the truth behind/around the PROGENITOR. No more shape-shifting, unless there's extreme cause. I think his power should be limited (possibly by a mental block imposed by Imra?) to transmutating simple elements.

He needs a new costume-- possibly light blue and green?

KINETIX: regains her original human form and super-power (a la the rebooted Life Lass).

SPARK: would campaign heavily during the next leadership election and would make finding the missing LIVEWIRE a priority. After a period of hating/suspecting ELEMENT LAD, she'd finally except his return.

Leaning heavily on COSMIC BOY, they slowly fall in love.

SHIKARI: leads the Legion to the one source able to help them bring Garth home--

DAWNSTAR: who seldom leaves STARHAVEN, a Thanagaran/Terran colony.

SATURN GIRL: gets a haircut and is a bit more 'iron butt' than recently.

DREAMER: hones her abilities on Titan, Xerox and Naltor.

M'ONEL: takes more 'detached duty' missions (possibly befriends Dev-em?)

XS takes a sabbatical in the 21st century and returns as the RED TORNADO (after stopping off for a couple of missions with her mother and uncle...)

APPARITION and ULTRA BOY: take an overdue homeymoon to 'rekindle' their marriage. He returns with a secret that she's in on (harkening to the Glorith days...)

The rest of the membership remains as it currently is with more emphasis on INVISIBLE KID, Vi, AYLA, etc.

INFERNO returns from the 21st century MAD-- she becomes a major opponent (but not quite a villainess).

SPIDER GIRL also becomes a shades-of-grey character, helming a black market ring and an information brokerage... but often helping Lyle and his increasingly important espionage squad.

TN InvisibleKid

#87985 07/12/03 07:22 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
Originally posted by Fat Cramer:
[b]The Guys Who Blow Things Up: Brainiac 5, Calamity King - of course they'd do a lot more than that. Touston is definitely in the Cramerverse.
[/b]
You are cool, FC!

#87986 07/12/03 07:26 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Working with the theory that I have to use the LEGION cast as it now stands, I would make the following changes:

1) No immediete subtractions from the team. Got a whole WORLD to fill up, ya know!

2) Tenzil Kem would be back, without a doubt, as a full-fledged member and pal of Chuck Taine. Not sure -what- his code-name would be, but I'm leaning toward MATTER-EATER LAD.

3) Chuck Taine would somehow get powers and join as REBOUND or RICOCHET. I believe Jim Gallagher posted a scenario on another board that I -loved- and would use, giving him full credit.

4) LAUREL GAND would kick the habit, don her early SW6 "Valor-Girl" costume complete with pleated skirt and begin a long ass-kicking LEGION stint.

5) Dirk INFERNO Morgna would finally join as he should have years ago. I -love- Todd's bisexulaity idea for Dirk and think it would work for the character. In fact, he might be a bit trisexual ("try anything").

6) Using hypertime (and I don't care HOW cheesey Hypertime is!), the ELEMENT LAD of the pre-boot Cockrum/Grell era (complete with blue/green "arrow-UP" outfit and long feathered hair) would join the team, causing consternation between many members who fear another PROGENITOR scenario.

7) The preboot INFECTIOUS LASS would join the medical staff of Legion World, quickly joining the team proper as it becomes evident she is a tremendous asset in battles with humanoid foes. Possibly taking the code-name MALADY.

Those would be the changes I would want ASAP. I would certainly like to get around to showing other long-lost LEGION fan-faves as the storyline dictated while throwing in a character or 3 of my own.

Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/
#87987 07/12/03 10:31 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
This is fun, I'm going to have to come up with my own team. smile
(Although I really like Mystery Lad's version.)

arachne3003.deviantart.com
Current Obsession: Birds of Prey/Secret Six
#87988 07/13/03 12:51 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Assuming that we are going from where the Legion is RIGHT now.

HYPERTIME:

Sensor fades out of existance and in her place is Projectra. End of story. NO further explanation given. No one notices...

CHANGES:

Star Boy - Gets back his starfield costume.
LeVIanthan becomes Shrinking Violet again.

ADDITIONS:
Andromeda rejoins.
Quislet and Tellus show up.
Tyroc joins.
Blok joins.
Jacque Foccart and Kent Shakespear arrive and quickly join the Team as Refracto and Impulse (looks like the name may be free again).
White WItch joins

DEPARTURES:
none

Touch the magic...
#87989 07/14/03 11:33 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Starting from current continuity:

Shrinking Violet: Looses the green streak. Keeps her growing abilities but doesn't use them as much as shrinking. Goes back to her old code name. Far greater focus on her detective skills and role in the Espionage Squad.

Timberwolf: Looses the B-movie vampire streaks. It's reavealed that his powers come from illegal experiments preformed on him by his father (on Zuun). Greater emphasis on his agility, rather than the claws. He and Violet become regular sparring partners.

Supergirl: Kara Zor-El gets ripped out of hyper time during a Time Traper escapade. She is quickly made a Legionnaire, but doesn't immediatly accept her new reality. Spends a lot of time with Brainiac 5 hoping to find a way home. Falls for him before a way can be found.

Apparition and Ultra Boy: Become reserve members and headmasters of the Legion Academy (located on Legion World so the two still live in the Legion quarters) so that they can devote more time to raising "Cub".

SUPPORTING CAST

Dr. Drura Sehpt: Legion World's head of pathology. Often works closely with Dr. Gym'll and Brainiac 5.

"Cub": Get's a real name. It's revealed that his fast aging will stop and either puberty or full growth. He grows at a rate of one year for every real time year. (ie. Ten years after Legion World #6 he'd be ten years old.)

Emerald Zoe: Frustrated by her latest transformation and feeling neglegted by her friends she releases the Emerald Eye and is transformed back to her normal self (except for the green hair, of course.) While not being actively manipulated by the eye, her lust for power is reawakend and she becomes far more ruthless. No longer willing to be constrained by the Legion Constitution (or any other law; think "chaotic-neutral") she resigns from the Legion. When the Legion is in great danger she will return to help, but her new attitudes make interaction with her friends and former teammates extremly uncomfortable for all involved.

arachne3003.deviantart.com
Current Obsession: Birds of Prey/Secret Six
#87990 07/15/03 05:06 PM
Substitute
Substitute
My dream team will use the Legion/SW6 dynamic, with the Thirtysomething legion working in the same universe (the post Terra Mosaic one) as a younger Legion. The older Legion would be composed of exactly the same members as shown in the issue #13 poster, minus Ivy, and plus Jacques, Drura, and Spider Girl. Also, Mysa would be in her "Jewel" incarnation, from "Legion on the run".

The younger Legion would have the same origin as the SW6 Legion, but with the postboot legion taking its place. All members not on the original SW6 batch joined later, and the missing members (read:all of those in the SW6 batch who do not appear on the roster) all died during the war for Earth.

Official full time members

Cosmic Boy
Ferro
Braniac 5 (pre"upgrade")
Kinetix (as seen around Legionnaires #53)
Gates
Gear
XS
Leviathan I
Shrinking Violet (SW6/Postboot remix)
Triad
Spark (both lightning and gravity powers)
Star Boy
Kon-El( 1000 years old; restuck at 16; not called Superboy)
Supergirl (Kara In-Ze, from the animated series; via time-travel)
Ultra Boy
Apparition
Shikari
Wildfire

Unofficial members (Superhuman Underground Battle Squad-S.U.B.S)

Invisible Kid
Ulu Vakk (Color Kid, TMK version)
Ral Benem (Chlorophyll Kid, TMK version)
Dag Wentim (Stone Boy, TMK version)
Staq Mavlen (Fire Lad, TMK version)

Legion Support Staff

Chuck Taine (TMK version)
Luornu Durgo (TMK version)
Tenzil Kem (Post-Boot version)
Marla Latham (does it matter?)
R.J Brande (Post-Boot version)

All characters in current versions, unless noted.

#87991 07/19/03 02:01 AM
G
Leader
OP Offline
Leader
G
A bump ... because I believe bumps do the job. {rueful grin}

#87992 07/19/03 07:58 PM
A
Active
Active
A
Golly. I didn't even see this one until I saw it. And I can't resist a thread with such potential to surprise. Here goes...

Saturn Girl: Current incarnation. May have a steady, but doesn’t get married anytime soon. A good deal of power, but not a lot of finesse. A touch more of the Ice Queen persona too. Powers the result of centuries of very controlled reproductive selection by the authorities of Titan, with the goal of creating a race of telepaths.

Cosmic Boy: Current incarnation. Powers the result of his race developing on a planet with a very strong and fluctuating electro-magnetic field. Powers only surface off of his home world, and are affected by the electro-magnetic forces in any locale.

Grav Lad: Begins as Lightning Lad’s original (original) incarnation. His power to project lightning blasts was altered in an accident of dubious origins to the power of controlling gravity. He often uses his powers to make things “super-light” or “super-heavy.” He certainly has issues with his perception that his current powers are less useful than his first powers--and is a bit envious of his twin sister and evil brother, who maintain their original lightning-projection powers ever since the accident with lightning beasts gave them each their abilities.

Phantom Girl: New incarnation. Her abilities to phase through solid objects are the result of her extra-dimensional origins. Her race is scattered far and wide through many dimensions and spends their lives wandering amongst them. She joined the legion to be near Mon El, who she rescued after she discovered him, trapped as a phantom for 1000 years. Her years of wandering the dimensions make her a good deal more pensive than any previous incarnations.

Miss Multiple: The character is as Triplicate Girl was originally introduced, but not limited to three. Miss Multiple can make up to fifteen versions of herself. Each version has its own (though not necessarily distinct) personality. She must cycle through all of her various versions in sequence. If she extends her power to create all fifteen at once, she can be usurped as the dominant personality. Only the dominant personality can be killed, the others revert back to the dominant body when mortally injured.

Mon El: Altered incarnation. Mon El is Superboy’s half brother. He was nearly a teen when Kal El was born to their mutual mother. An accident with a phantom-zone projector purloined by Mon El and his friends cast him into a previously undiscovered phantom zone. He later witnessed Kal El’s great feats as Superboy/Man from the zone, and, inspired, succeeded in joining the Legion of Super Heroes upon being freed by Phantom Girl in the 30th century.

Chameleon Boy: Standard incarnation, but a less specific body form. He arbitrarily chose a form to use regularly when he ventured from his planet to other worlds, but can often be seen absentmindedly losing his humanoid shape.

Element Lad: As he was originally introduced in the 60s, but having rejoined the team after some progenitor-like episode that makes him very wary about his powers, and creates some tension amongst the team. Gay.

Lightning Lass: Standard incarnation, but being the team’s only lightning projector has given her a more subdued and less pissy personality. Never was or becomes Light Lass.

Lumin Lad: Altered Lyle Norg incarnation, but the serum gives him additional abilities to control light. After development his powers can include projecting the absence of light and visual illusions. Absolutely none of that alternate dimension nonsense. The team’s only native earthling.

Dream Girl: Slightly altered incarnation of Nura. She has developed extensive physical combat capabilities based on her ability to sense the immediate future (thus the next moves of her opponent). Thus, she exhibits much more confidence in herself than her standard incarnations. She can induce a trance which allows her to see further into the future. The further into the future she looks, the more potential for it to be altered. Her powers are well-trained versions of the powers standard to her race.

Bloom: Altered incarnation of Shrinking Violet. She can shrink and grow at will, powers which are natural to her race. She prefers to stay at a fairly diminutive height, a trait mirrored in her personality. None of the current nonsense about her powers coming from another hero, or being involved with the Emerald Eye.

A dozen is enough for one day isn’t it? More as they come to me.

#87993 07/20/03 03:33 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Lots of fun here. I really enjoy everyone's versions.

Especially, of the last three I just read:

Arachne's detective Vi, darker Zoe, and Apparition & U. Boy in the Academy (does that make sense!);

Big Bad's "Superhuman Underground Battle Squad", much nicer and more interesting than Substitutes;

Awkward Pause's pensive Phantom Girl from a scattered race, "unstable" Cham, Lyle's upgraded powers.

Great stuff, keep it coming folks!

Holy Cats of Egypt!
#87994 07/21/03 04:35 AM
Substitute
Substitute
Originally posted by Fat Cramer:
Lots of fun here. I really enjoy everyone's versions.
Big Bad's "Superhuman Underground Battle Squad", much nicer and more interesting than Substitutes;
From the "Credit where credit is due dept.": Thank Giffen; I pretty much stole his idea and added Lyle to it.

#87995 07/30/03 04:06 AM
G
Leader
OP Offline
Leader
G
Yet another bump, so this won't be lost. I've enjoyed the articulate scenarios and commentary, and to me, they speak well for themselves ... besides, I comment too much, anyway {g}

The permutations on various eras of the Legion's history are fascinating. I especially like one of the efforts above to try to redeem the Batch SW6 concept, which was poorly introduced and left full of holes originally.

#87996 08/24/03 06:28 PM
Deputy
Deputy
I've been writing this for ages, and only now have I finished it. Soo, here it goes&#8230; (I would love to hear your comments&#8230;)

See, Legionnaires should not be superheroing all of the time. Not even most of the time. This is supposed to be a group of people pulled from throughout the United Planets to show that the concept can work. And with a group as powerful, as diverse as this, much more good could be made than by just superheroing. They should be teachers, healers, scientists, politicians, trainers, artists, etc., not just super-heroes. Violet should be helping Brainy, Lyle and Chameleon in medical/biological research. Spark should be involved in agricultural research. Saturn Girl, Sensor and Shikari should be active in psychiatric wards, trying to cure people. Apparition, Gates, Chameleon and Sensor should be involved in politics. Cosmic Boy, Triad and Karate Kid should be teachers, inspiring young people through academics and sport. Wildfire, Kid Quantum, Element Lad, Quislet and Spark should be in engineering departments at universities, helping to develop new materials. M'Onel could for example be a writer, trying to develop the concept of a true valorianism, and sharing his experiences from a thousand years of observation of human endeavors. Dreamer should get her fingers (or somebody else's) burned in some economic scheme, vow never to do such a thing again, and help people prepare for future personal tragedies. Not only would this "diversification of activities' be fertile ground for the development of new stories, but it would give a plausible reason for not having all Legionnaires at Legion World all the time

I really liked the concept of Legion Worlds, I think that mini-series should be continued, those six issues really fleshed out the Legion's universe. I want more United Planets to be explored (I loved the issue on Titan, and am eagerly awaiting the one on Talok). I want politics to play mayor roles in the stories, more Dark Circle, more Khunds, more Dominators. Where does the Blight come from? I want tensions within the UP, Chameleon on Durla, Star Boy on the new Xanthu acting as ambassadors (I didn't mention Orando because I despise that world, perhaps Ra's al Ghul should drop some of his "evolution bombs' there). The titannet, the tesseracts and Robotica are cool additions to the Legion's universe, but I'm still not sold to Legion World (why on earth do they need a whole planet that is bound to Earth? A planet is way too big, and it isolates the Legionnaires from the people they are supposed to protect.)

What is my dream roaster for the Legion? All right, here it goes. And remember that you asked&#8230;

1. Andromeda. Laurel Gand, in the way she was shown in Vol. 4, strong-willed, no-nonsense kind of person. Originally strongly valorian in belief, is going through a difficult transition after having met Valor, her &#8220;god&#8221;. Has made a big, big effort to get close to M'Onel, at first in order to understand him, later on because of real sympathy. Wouldn't call herself valorian anymore (she disagrees with many of the more doctrinal aspects of that religion, as does M'Onel), but spends long hours with Lar discussing ways to truly help valorians in meaningful ways. She has become M'Onel best friend, but is not romantically involved with him (she is still single, and looking). Has expressed an interest in counseling troubled youths.

2. Apparition. Tinya Wazzo, from Bgztl, a full-fledged member planet of the UP that does not &#8220;occupy the same physical space as Earth but in another dimension&#8221;, or whatever that was. Everybody's best friend, but really nobody's, something that makes her quite lonely, Tinya is perhaps the Legionnaire that genuinely cares the most for others. Marriage with Ultra Boy rocky, but based on love. Has begun to express an interest in politics, and tends to be at odds (politically, as well as in other things) with her mother. This altercation is forcing her to confront (modify?) her own opinion of herself as one of the weaker-willed of the Legionnaires (because she can talk with just about any other Legionnaire, she is one of the few people who really know the true levels of strength in the group). Just one person, not three (this is a subplot that needs to be resolved quickly!), Tinya is beginning to experience a growth in her powers that she can't control or explain, she can make things become phantoms (kind of like the guy in Mutant X).

3. Astro, Thom Kallor. The current version of Star Boy has really been much more interesting than any of his previous portrayals, DnA have finally managed to make me care for him. I really like his expanded gravity powers, and am intrigued by the subplots that are going on (I hope the current authors have a good surprise in store regarding Dreamer's premonition, I DO NOT want Thom to die). I like Astro being quiet but with an exceptional strength of character (his reaction to the destruction of Xanthu and the appearance of Darkseid on Legion World display the best of the character), I would not like him to get "Superboy-type' powers. Perhaps he should be considered for Legion Leadership next? I am not too sure about his relationship with Dreamer, the two just don't seem to fit that well. Xs might be a better choice for love interest&#8230; Thom should be interested in physics, astronomy and, to a lesser degree, engineering.

4. Blok. An entirely alien life form (not this Stone Boy hybrid thing), Blok &#8220;becomes&#8221; part of the planet he is in, traveling instantaneously through it to any part of its surface. Makes bodies out of whatever material he finds, but is really more an immaterial &#8220;essence&#8221;. Extremely powerful on the surface of a world (and the Legion's resident geologist), Blok becomes essentially useless once he is airborne, can't leave his &#8220;husk&#8221; if he is physically separated from the ground. For that reason, he hates flying and is a big fan of tesseracts. Uses a rocky body most of the time that is as invulnerable as rock is, not more, and needs two flight rings to lift him. Timber Wolf's best friend. Involved in a platonic "romance' with the White Witch (doesn't quite understand the concept of any other kind of romance, something that frustrates Mysa immensely). In temperament, the same gentle soul as in Vol. 3/Baxter, he is finding out that he may well be an artist (starts with sculpture, later on painting as well).

5. Brainiac Five. The same Querl Dox that we have right now, would not change a thing. I like his Calvin-esque Coipel looks and his occasional grumpyness. What makes Brainy so interesting is his willingness to interact with (and even actively like/love) people so much less intelligent that he is (imagine being among mentally retarded people ALL THE TIME). Has incredible amounts of patience (not that his fellow legionnaires necessarily realize that). I would be interested in knowing just what it is that interests Brainy about people, why does he choose to live with them and dedicate his life to fighting for them.

6. Chameleon. Much more alien in appearance and outlook than what we usually see. Why does the current Chameleon choose to walk around as an orange humanoid, with antennae? Why not go all the way and become either completely human-looking or entirely alien? I've never understood this. Not interested in sex: Durlans divide by binary fission and Chameleon is completely asexual (does not count as a &#8220;male&#8221; legionnaire). In temperament, level-headed and smart, but often puzzled by the ways of the world. Learns quickly, though. Escaped from Durla as a stowaway when the planet was first discovered by the outside world and traveled a lot before joining the Legion, thus his knowledge of creatures from throughout the universe. This knowledge of foreign forms is what distinguishes him from other Durlans, who have in principle also a shape-changing capacity but have not been exposed to other organisms. Chameleon tries very hard to make Durla &#8220;fit&#8221; with the outside world (more often than not unsuccessfully), and is also the Legion's expert in biological matters, having an intrinsic understanding of shapes and functions that not even Brainy shares.

7. Cos. Rokk Krinn, the soul of the Legion, cares more about its whole concept than any other Legionnaire. He is the one who suggests making the Legion about more than just superheroing/protecting people. Most certainly not stupid. I like the way he was portrayed in Vol. 4 (but I prefer him with powers), except that I think he should be one of the people who uses the gym the most (he should be in the upper third in regard to hand-to-hand combat). Has nothing to do with the Time Trapper, except for the fact that he is interested in history. Cos is one of the most active Legionnaires outside Legion World, he is an excellent teacher and trainer who easily recognizes and shapes qualities in others. He is also becoming the Legion's main spokeperson in talk shows and such, a role that he doesn't particularly like (but people love seeing their magnoball champion as a super-hero).

8. Dolores, Drura Sepht. Solothur is a planet smack in the middle of UP territory full of friendly people eager to join the "federation'. The problem is that no non-Solothurian has ever survived more than a couple of days on Solothur, they always die of unknown diseases, and so the planet has been put in quarentene. Drura is extremely curious about the outside world, and so has dedicated her life to biological and medical studies; she is now a medical expert on virtually all known species of the Universe. She has also developed a way to control her disease-producing aura, and after some trials, has contacted Brainy to ask him to help her to test whether Solothurians as a whole can benefit from her discoveries and actually leave their planet. As a test-trial, Drura has been allowed to leave Solothur under close supervision by Brainy, and has found that her powers are so formidable (and so controlled) that she has been able to join the Legion. Unfortunately, she hasn't been able to provide other Solothurians with the same degree of control, so they are still quarentained. People at large are even more cautious (distrustful) towards Solothurians than towards Titanians or Durlans, and so Drura has had a bad time adjusting. Nevertheless, she is extremely friendly, very intelligent and very funny, and so has managed to make quite a few friends. By the way, in case you are wondering, &#8220;dolores&#8221; means &#8220;pains&#8221; in Spanish. I've always wondered why anyone would want to inflict that name to their daughters&#8230; I guess it has to do with the mother's most recent memory at the time of baptism&#8230; But I digress&#8230;

9. Dreamer. Nura Nal, also very close to the version we are seeing now. Beautiful, confident and purposeful, completely in control of her powers. She not only sees the future, but can tell the degree of certainty of her different visions, and so knows whether they are &#8220;changeable&#8221; or not. She never sleeps, and so has lots of time to pursue other activities. For example she is an avid reader and a quick learner, and is on track to becoming one of the Legion's scientists. She also spends lots of time in physical training, and has become Karate Kid's best student, the Legion's fifth best hand-to-hand combatant (after KK, Timber Wolf, Triad and Shikari). Dreamer is not easy to get close to, she often appears distracted (a secondary effect of the way her powers work); her best friends are the White Witch and Saturn Girl. Made a mess with a well-intentioned economic scheme, and has vowed never to do such a thing again.

10. Element Lad, the Progenitor. Lightning Lad's attack propelled Jan some ridiculous amount of years into the past. Having seen the revulsion of his teammates towards his acts during Legion Lost (including the murders not only of Monstress, but of entire civilizations), Jan decided to strand himself in a solitary planet and make penance while waiting for the Legion's time to arrive: the best years of his very, very long existence were the ones as a member of the Legion, and he wants to relive them. He starts modifying his view of things (although not quite completely). So one day he just knocks on the Legion's door, to everybody's horror. They decide that the best place for him is among the only people who have any hope of containing him (Saturn Girl goes into training with the only objective of being able to shut down Jan's mind should he ever become dangerous again). Jan is now even stranger than before, mostly because time has absolutely no meaning to him. To his teammates it looks as if everything is sort of a joke to him (which is not true, he is dead serious, but not always successful, about wanting to regain a sense of morality). He willingly lets Saturn Girl go into his mind to do two things: erase the memory of his long years of solitude, and limit his powers to what they were when he was a Legionnaire. And so he rejoins as Element Lad, strongly mistrusted by his teammates at first, but becoming more and more accepted as time goes by (but only because they know that he did his penance&#8230;).

11. Ferro. The time on Steeple with Karate Kid was spent on training, and Ferro returns as a mean fighting machine, reminiscent of the Silver Slasher in the way he uses his metallic form for fighting. He has also discovered that he can "amalgamate' himself to metallic objects and travel through them and even control them to a certain degree. Not surprisingly, he is now Karate Kid's best friend, and much more sure of himself. Now in training with Cos to develop ways of combining their respective abilities. Has a lot in common with Sensor, and starts to spend large amounts of time with her. Very interested in art/graphic design, he becomes the main creator of the Legion's "merchandising' face to the outside world.

12. Gates. I really quite like the bug as he is, he doesn't need to be changed at all. But he should be given more screen time, I really miss his off-the-cuff socialist remarks. One thing I'd like to see: a one-on-one encounter between Gates and a "worthy opponent', so that we can get to see Gates unleashed, I'd just like to see some of his tricks. I am also very interested in Vyrga, I'd love to see that world. Do Vyrgans go through metamorphosis? Are their life spans as long as those of humans? Gates is an avid reader of sociological treatises, and is a revolutionary at heart (I would like to see him succeed in promoting a revolution in some distant dictatorial world&#8230;)

13. Invisible. Lyle Norg, the head of the Legion's Espionage Squad. Highly intelligent, highly observant and very quiet, he hates to be in the spotlight, but is very willing to intervene when necessary. One of the best scientists in the Legion, Lyle finds himself actually liking Brainy, their "rivalry' is only skin deep. Has very firm ideas about what is right and what is not, something that sometimes puts him at odds with others (I loved his disagreement with Imra). Rather lonesome, has few friends (although Tenant and Chameleon are two of them). Seeing the effect that his serum had on Tenant (Jacques Foccart), he is researching ways of increasing his own powers. Gay.

14. Karate Kid. Val Armorr, introverted character, but highly aware of his surroundings and extremely interested in the well-being of others (with Apparition, one of the Legionnaires most empathic towards the suffering of others). Has two very mild metahuman abilities: a certain degree of super speed, and the ability to sense structural weaknesses in matter, but would have never been able to take advantage of them without his extensive training in the martial arts. The best hand-to-hand combatant in the Legion (M'Onel has not won against him at close range yet). Incredibly focused and very patient, Val is an innate teacher. He has become the Legion's resident trainer (not only in fighting, but also in meditative skills), and also spends time training kids, inspiring them through sports. In spite of himself, Val has become somewhat of a celebrity (young kids just love him), and this attracts all sorts of people who want to test their fighting skills against him. Val absolutely hates this, and spends a lot of time trying to explain what martial arts really are.

15. Kid Quantum. This is another character that I essentially like as is, with one important caveat: her powers need to be defined much better. In "my' Legion, she essentially alters the passage of time within confined spaces, with the effect that processes are speeded up or slowed down within those spaces. Nothing else, she does not shoot ill-defined energy beams (I wish the writers would be more consistent regarding the way her powers are portrayed). Intrinsically a &#8220;tinkerer&#8221; more than a scientist, Jazmin is starting to spend time at physics departments trying to better understand the way her powers work. She does not particularly enjoy this, but finds it necessary.

16. Lazon. Drafted together with Blok during the latest Legion-expansion drive, Lazon is a very powerful, very angry young man (perhaps because of emotional problems in his youth). His powers are like those shown pre-boot. In temperament, he is angry, he has big problems &#8220;fitting&#8221; in the Legion, but he is not quite evil&#8230;yet. Constantly on the brink of going bad, it remains to be seen whether the Legion's influence will be enough to make him a better person. He would really like that. He spends a lot of time with Solar, sometimes also with Polar.

17. M'Onel. Intrinsically quite shy, Lar Gand strongly dislikes being the center of attention. This is one of the reasons he is so perplexed by finding himself at the center of a fundamentalist religion that he had absolutely no role in founding but that uses him as an icon. Since his release from the Phantom Zone, Lar has been reading a lot about valorianism, and finds himself strongly at odds with some of the most basic teachings of that religion. He has not quite decided what to do about it (he is discussing his options with formerly-valorian Legionnaires Andromeda and Triad, both of whom he cherishes as friends). In a "trial run', he revealed himself as Valor in an isolated planet that he thought he could influence in a positive way, but found that nobody believed him and he ended up doing more harm than good. Since then, he is more focused on two things: being an excellent Legionnaire, and writing, using his extensive knowledge of human nature (gained by observing millions of people during his stay in the Phantom Zone) to try to counteract some of the more vile precepts of valorianism. Whether at the end of this process he will reveal himself as Valor or not remains to be seen. His hobby is to wander among the stars.

18. Neon. Celeste Vidar, Rond's sister, has internalized the source of green energy that was given to her brother and has become herself a living weapon. Outspoken and brash, Celeste is often at odds with the rest of the Legion.

19. Polar. Very similar to the version we saw in the Levitz period, Polar is very ambitious and was determined to become a Legionnaire since his rejection. He eventually does so, and becomes Solar's best friend (and a good influence on him, too).

20. Quislet. Not an energy being, but a small, fragile worm. Inhabits materials in the same way as Steve's version used to do, forcing that material to desintegrate after he leaves (an important limitation to his powers, he often teams up with Blok, who can provide constant sources of material). Trying really hard to fit into the Legion (and into the UP as a whole), Quislet actively tries to interact with people as much as possible, tending to cause havoc wherever he goes, mostly because of misunderstandings. However, he is much less flaky than the old version.

21. Reflecto. Devlin O'Ryan. Completely and utterly invulnerable, but not stronger than a normal human. His invulnerability applies to almost all forms of physical harm, energy, mental threats, etc, but he does have one weakness that he doesn't know. In other words, every time he confronts a new form of threat he knows that this could be the one that kills him. He spends lots of time with fellow Legionnaires trying to find out what that weakness is.

22. Saturna. Imra Ardeen, essentially the same character we have right now, would not change a thing. The same strong, vulnerable woman, with the same high levels of mental powers. I would keep her single for a while. Most Legionnaires tend to keep their distance from her, and this saddens her greatly, because at heart she is quite gregarious. She tries hard to "connect' with other Legionnaires, but finds herself being clumsy at socializing. No really close friends (although she really likes Cos, and now Dreamer). Heavily active in psychological wards, where she does her best to help patients with mental illnesses.

23. Sensor. Jeka Wynzorr. This is a big step for me, putting Jeka in the team instead of Projectra (Sensor Girl is my favorite Legionnaire). But I like what I've seen of the new Sensor, and I think I will be able to accept her, possibly even like her. The trick is to consider her as a unique character, completely different from Projectra. Nevertheless, something horrible needs to happen to Orando. Maybe Ra's-al-Ghul will do some terraforming/forceful evolution there? Sensor has some growing up to do, but I'm sure eventually she'll accept her new form (even if the rest of her people won't), and we'll get back the quiet, regal, smart Legionnaire that she was, perhaps a bit scarred (which will be a good thing). She is active in two fields other than superheroing: politics, as a member of the Royal Family of Orando, something that she does rather reluctantly, and psychiatric medicine, where she often teams up with Saturn Girl to try and help the mentally ill.

24. Shikari. Not much to say here, I like her as she is, and think that her powers are being developed quite nicely. A bit of training with Karate Kid would make Shikari one of the fiercest fighters in the Legion.

25. Solar. Dirk Morgna, with full control of his heat and light powers. I just can't understand why he has been left out of the current Legion, in the preboot he was one of the most interesting characters in the group. Very much a womanizer and a troublemaker, Solar often has trouble accepting authority. Good-looking, intelligent and rich, Dirk has not had to deal with much hardship in his life, and so at first he is treated as a &#8220;pretty-boy&#8221; by the rest of the Legion. Nobody, not even himself, knows what he'll be able to do under duress, and whether he has the stuff to be a good Legionnaire. He spends a lot of time with Lazon and with Polar. Has not decided what to do when he is off duty, he's too busy whooing women (Astro is trying to convince him to help him help him in physics/astronomy departments of universities, rather unsuccessfully). Eventually he'll discover an entrepreneurial spirit within himself and will found a big company that aims as much at providing employment to Braalians as much as it does at making money.

26. Spark. Determined to take Live Wire's place in the Legion, Ayla is growing up quickly. She is working hard to develop her powers, and is in the process of becoming quite powerful. She is also much less &#8220;happy-go-lucky&#8221; than she used to be, and is becoming a lot more like the Lightning Lass we saw in the preboot's LSV arc (in my opinion by far the best rendition of her character). At the moment not quite sure of her sexuality, and so she keeps flirting with boys, but eventually she'll marry Violet. While working with engineering departments, Ayla is discovering an affinity towards that field that she didn't know she had (engineering is not common on Winath, and so she was not exposed to that early on). She also likes working with small kids.

27. Swarm. An alien life form, Swarm is composed of a myriad of bee-sized particles, all bound together by a common mind, and each of them carrying a powerful sting. Each of these particles ("bees') is wholly replaceble, they can be squashed with no major complications for the organism as a whole (as long as a single "bee' remains alive, the whole organism can regenerate in a relatively short time). Swarm considers itself an individual and is, as Chameleon, an asexual entity.

28. Tenant, Jacques Foccart. The effect of Invisible's serum on Jacques has shifted over the years: Jacques does not only become invisible but intangible as well, but he cannot stay invisible/intangible for more than ca. 15 seconds before he starts to dissipate. There are two ways of counteracting this: becoming visible again, or "inhabiting' the body of anyone who is nearby. In this situation, Tenant takes control of the body he is inhabiting, and is able to use all its powers. He doesn't know how long these possessions can last, but he has inhabited bodies for many hours. After a period of tension, he an Lyle have rediscovered their old friendship, and Jacques, although not really a scientist, is doing his best in helping Lyle fully understand his serum. Jacques is a very gentle man, he hated his time as a spy and would like nothing more than spend time with children. Eventually he'll discover an interest in politics.

29. Timber Wolf. I'm liking him, this far, I think he should be strong, fast, a mean fighting machine (second only to Karate Kid), and fiercely loyal to his teammates. He should be a bit of a loner, too. His acrobatic ability should be upped a notch, though, he should be able to do really amazing feats of contortion (Cirque du Soleil sort of stuff, the kind of things that make you wonder whether the owner has a spinal cord&#8230;). He should surprise people and be able to get through small spaces just by contorting his body, the limit to this should be the diameter of his skull. He should also have heightened senses, particularly hearing and smell. I loved his preboot friendship with Blok.

30. Triad. I keep thinking that Triad could be much more powerful than what she is now. First of all, although she has three different personalities, she should share a common mind. This comes handy in fighting (tri-jitsu is not like fighting three different people, it's like fighting three perfectly-coordinated bodies that share a common mind), but also in sharing information: what is known by one body should automatically be "relayed' to the other two. Triad should also be able to merge over long distance, something that would have the effect of one-way teleportation of the separate bodies. When splitting, physical barriers should not be able to stop the different bodies from materializing. In other words, Triad should be able to materialize her bodies at any place within a radius of say a meter or two, independently of whether there are physical barriers or not. For this reason, as well as because of her ability to teleport when merging, she is by far the most difficult Legionnaire to contain/imprison. She is very athletic, relishes training sessions with Karate Kid and is becoming one of the most efficient fighters in the Legion. As for outside interests, she is a businesswoman, is interested in economics and wants to someday build her own enterprise.

31. Ultra. He is probably the Legionnaire whose portrayal has suffered the most in the reboot. He's become good-looking, but nothing else. I absolutely despise his portrayal as a dimwit. Jo Nah is NOT stupid!!!! He should be the street-smart, cunning man we saw in volume 4 (I've never liked this character more than when his efforts against Glorith were explained). His rivalry with Timber Wolf should also be resolved, quickly, I actually think the two characters have so much in common that they should become the best of friends, they should form a post-boot &#8220;clique&#8221; with Apparition. I like this character's relationship with Imra, I think Ultra and Saturna should become really, really good friends (to Tinya's annoyance). But his relationship to Tinya should remain the most important in his life, Ultra's and Apparition's marital problems should be resolved soon.

32. Umbra. Not much to say about her, other than I think her powers should be defined better: can her shadows solidify or not? I generally like the way the character has been written in the postboot: she is brash and not particularly friendly, but an excellent warrior and very dependable.

33. Vapor. A Khundish woman, Vapor can turn herself into a gaseous form. She has also full control over gases, and to a lesser degree also over liquids. Disliked by many in the UP (people distrust her, mainly because of her brashness) and in Khundia (many think she is a traitor to the planet), Vapor is finding it hard to adapt to the Legion.

34. Violet. She needs a haircut. And she definitely needs to get rid of that silly green streak in her hair. Generally speaking, Violet needs to start moving towards the person she was shown to be in the late Levitz/vol. 4 periods, she is much more interesting that way: although shy, Vi has an exceedingly strong personality, and this needs to start to shine through. I don't mind her having growth powers as well as shrinking powers, but she should be much more confident shrinking, shrinking should be her "gut' reaction in most cases. One thing I really don't like is to see her as an oversized background (why would she choose to be big an uncomfortable if she has a choice?). On the other hand, disappearing &#8220;into thin air&#8221; as she did in the Legion World series is a neat trick. As to her "extracurricular' activities, Vi would perhaps be most effective as a micromanipulator of small samples in scientific research or as a tool for medical treatment.

35. The White Witch. Mysa, daughter of Mordru. The Legion's resident magical expert, Mysa is in temperament the same sweet, determined, very principled woman we saw in the Levitz Legion (and not the weak-willed victim of volume 4). One of her main characteristics is her love of books, she reads all the time, mostly arcane treatises on magic. She also has an uncanny ability to pick up and understand languages (perhaps through magic?). Although she has a few spells ready at all times (often spells that transform one thing into another), she is not a Deus ex machina, she needs to prepare most of her spells in advance. Her main motivation is the fact that she is Mordru's daughter, she wants to dedicate her life to counteracting the many wrongs he has caused. However, on her own , she is much weaker than Mordru or Dr Fate, for example, in fact she considers herself mostly just a student of magic. Her best friend in the Legion is Dreamer, whom she often meets in the library, and she is exploring a romantic relationship with Blok. Most of her free time is spent studying, but she often tries to spend time with Brainy (one of the few people she finds very difficult to get along with) trying to open his mind to the possibilities of magic.

36. Wildfire. Drake Burroughs, one person. At the time of &#8220;fusion&#8221;, he thought that he was composed of two beings, as he told us, but with time he is realizing that one of his &#8220;beings&#8221; (I really don't care which one) is vanishing. It turns out that this &#8220;two-fused-sentients-thing&#8221; was just an illusion, a strong impression he got at the time he became an energy form. Wildfire has been pretty subdued, lately, he really should become the grumpy, extrovert Legionnaire he was pre-boot. Head of the Legion Academy, he is being sucked into dealing with educational matters, not always willingly. But he is discovering that he does like working with youngsters.

37. Xs (the name could be Flash, too). Jenni Ognats, in a red Flash costume. I like the way she is being forced to grow in the Legion comic, from being happy-go-lucky in the early days to being forced to deal first with the Blight, then with the destruction of Xanthu. I'm really interested in seeing the effect these things have had on her, she is one of the Legionnaires sorely needing a spotlight story. One side-effect of her super-speed is that she is able to read books much faster than the average person. The effect this is having is that Xs is, with Dreamer and the White Witch, one of the most well-read/educated Legionnaires, she is also fast becoming one of Brainy's most reliable helpers. I'd like to see Xs getting romantically involved with Cos. By the way, much more care should be taken in the writing involving scenes with Xs (and also M'Onel), half of the time I'm left wondering why they just didn't take out the supervillain with superspeed.

So, that's it, thirty-seven Legionnaires (and note that that does not include Live Wire or Superboy, I can live perfectly well without them). Before finishing, one word on a villain that in my opinion has always been mishandled: the Emerald Empress. First of all, she should not be part of the Fatal Five, she is too powerful for that. The Empress should be, together with Glorith and Brainiac 4, one of the mayor female villains of the Legion. Sarya of Venegar should get hold of a second green eye, one that NEVER talks, and they should go on a quest to destroy the first one, the annoying, whiny one, and his wielder, the incredibly boring Empress impostor from the Fatal Five. And then the true Emerald Empress should go off to do her thing, together with an eye that, although extremely powerful, has real limitations that the Legionnaires have to discover the hard way. I'd like the Empress and Sensor to develop a sort of rivalry similar to the one we saw in the preboot. The Fatal Five could then get another female member. Maybe Mentalla?

#87997 08/24/03 07:08 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I actually wrote stoy years ago where an offshot of the Legion was developed:

Power Boy

Lamprey

Nightwind

Laurel Kent

Comet Queen

Icefire (who was the son of Nemesis Kid)

Dragonmage

Karate Kid II

I called the story ACADEMY!!!!

Let the Fun Begin!
#87998 08/24/03 07:13 PM
G
Leader
OP Offline
Leader
G
Juan, thanks for bringing this topic up again with your intricate, enthusiastic contribution. It deserves a more careful reading on my part, but I wanted to bring up this point at once:

{[...] This is supposed to be a group of people pulled from throughout the United Planets to show that the concept can work. And with a group as powerful, as diverse as this, much more good could be made than by just superheroing. They should be teachers, healers, scientists, politicians, trainers, artists, etc., not just super-heroes. }

I'd only alluded to this, but you've thought out much more carefully just where their talents could be useful. It makes far more sense in dramatic plausibility, especially when they're 20somethings or older. Hanging around the HQ Rec Room is understandable and reasonable for teenagers, but they wouldn't want to give up a unique and productive career forever. If only to fulfill their needs for individual creativity.

It doesn't work as well with their being a super-powered police force -- and that was the allusion, for many years of stories, with their being Science Police deputies. And having them tied to a Mission Monitor somewhat precludes their being off in independent careers. (We tend to forget what "Legion" connoted before 1958 -- mostly, the French Foreign Legion, where they were famously isolated from all other concerns, like it or not.)

Yet even if it couldn't be dramatized very well in graphic-art action terms, or placed in with the existing concept, I'd like to see something showing their being embedded in fuller and more individually-shaped lives. We can certainly dream it, and that's the point of this thread.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,021
Posts1,045,250
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star