Roll Call
0 members (), 19 Murran Spies, and 34 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
So, what are you listening to?
by Eryk Davis Ester - 04/25/24 08:03 PM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Legion Tracker - 04/25/24 06:56 PM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Gaseous Lad - 04/25/24 01:27 PM
DC/Marvel Crossovers to be collected in 2024
by Ann Hebistand - 04/25/24 08:21 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by idle - 04/25/24 05:38 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/25/24 12:32 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/24/24 03:52 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: The Star Wars Episode VII Thread You're Looking For -- Warning: Super-Spoileriffic!
Eryk Davis Ester #884539 01/08/16 03:58 PM
Trap Timer
OP Offline
Trap Timer
Yeah, he's a fantastic character, it's just that he's not really given much of anything memorable to do after his return. If it had been Greg Grunberg's character, or Nien Numb, or anyone else who ended up finishing off the Starkiller base, it really wouldn't have made much difference.

Re: The Star Wars Episode VII Thread You're Looking For -- Warning: Super-Spoileriffic!
Eryk Davis Ester #884543 01/08/16 04:44 PM
Not much between despair and ecstacy
Not much between despair and ecstacy
Well, I loved Poe's reunion with Finn--telling him to keep the jacket. That alone made his return memorable, to me.

Check out my new Power Club website!

The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that
Eryk Davis Ester #884569 01/09/16 03:06 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Has anyone else heard the theory that Rey is actually Obi-wan's granddaughter? (It is also often connected to a theory that Obi-wan and Padme were lovers in the prequels). I don't remember anything hinting that Obi-wan had any lust.

Go with the good and you'll be like them; go with the evil and you'll be worse than them.- Portuguese Proverb
Eryk Davis Ester #884584 01/09/16 07:29 AM
Trap Timer
OP Offline
Trap Timer
I like the idea of a Kenobi-descendant, though I hate the idea of Kylo Ren being the only Skywalker legacy.

Eryk Davis Ester #884586 01/09/16 08:27 AM
Humanoid from the Deep
Humanoid from the Deep
I always assumed Obi Wan followed that Jedi oath of chastity/love pretty strictly. hmmm

Keep up with what I've been watching lately!

"Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? Our nation turns its lonely eyes to you."
Eryk Davis Ester #884605 01/09/16 12:45 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Rey looks like Padme to me (the facial structures) and her personality has bits of Luke/Anakin (being good at technology and survival). So if Disney is going for the obvious "She is Luke's daughter" angle, that works too. Speaking of Padme, I do wonder if Rey is going to be given new outfits in the next movie. She's not exactly a princess (at least not yet, maybe the marketing gods at Disney are planning that), but it would be kind of boring if she wore the same thing all three movies.

Go with the good and you'll be like them; go with the evil and you'll be worse than them.- Portuguese Proverb
Eryk Davis Ester #884611 01/09/16 01:14 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
For everyone wondering why we saw so little of Poe Dameron after the opening scenes...

http://io9.gizmodo.com/wait-redacted-was-supposed-to-die-in-the-force-awake-1748949179

Eryk Davis Ester #892084 03/23/16 08:18 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
In terms of Poe, I just figured that they needed someone the audience would be invested in during the fighter battles since the main characters were all planetside... (or maybe that's what JJ figured out?)

Emily Sivana #892085 03/23/16 08:22 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally Posted by Emily Sivana
Rey looks like Padme to me (the facial structures) and her personality has bits of Luke/Anakin (being good at technology and survival). So if Disney is going for the obvious "She is Luke's daughter" angle, that works too. Speaking of Padme, I do wonder if Rey is going to be given new outfits in the next movie. She's not exactly a princess (at least not yet, maybe the marketing gods at Disney are planning that), but it would be kind of boring if she wore the same thing all three movies.

Rey seemed to me to embody almost all the best characteristics of all the previous heroes.

And of course she'll have different outfits! She's got figres to sell! wink ... and also, if she's to become Luke's follower (in spirit if not Jedi training) her wardrobe will certainly display her progress during the films as Luke's did (white, then grey, then black)

Eryk Davis Ester #894680 04/16/16 03:47 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Found myself agreeing a lot with Blacula’s post.

Enjoyed the movie a lot for the most part but it had a fatal flaw: bad baddies. Only baddy I even enjoyed or found intriguing was Phasma. Too many scenes of red-headed guy and hey actor, less is more. Found snoke boring. Ren is supposed to be conflicted (whiney, take your pick) but found nothing charismatic, compelling or convincing about the actor.

I enjoyed the homages but I can see how some would find them distracting. On second watching they didn’t pop out quite so much.

BB8: I went in expecting to be totally annoyed. Enjoyed this new character a lot.

Rey great character, greatly acted! Heck, even little Rey’s three seconds broke my heart. The actress brought the chemistry no matter who was opposite. Rey’s a pilot, hinting at Anakin’s line but I don’t recall Luke and Mara having a child taken away. She was apparently at the slaughter of the new trainees and was dropped off at Jakku by the Falcon. I’ve no good guesses what they’re hinting at here. Maybe she’s not connected to anyone. One weakness with acting I thought maybe was the athletics: running, fighting seemed awkward.

Max Landis’ comments: dude wrote “Victor Frankenstein.” He don’t get a vote.

Finn: a bit too much Gilligan for a storm trooper but loved his enthusiasm for the adventure. I think the actor played it the way told, I want to know more of his back-story and I appreciated that the actor pulled off the “American” accent without that gravelly voice thing so many use to cover up the British.

Maz: total fail. No charisma. No character in the voice. No reason given to exist. Hinted at and dropped the ball on a history with Chewie, a scene or two would have been to her credit. Jar Jar II.

Ford/Han was being his most enjoyable grumpiest, really good chem with Rey.

Leia, not enough Leia. Why are they treating the character as if she’s not force adept?

Plotting: Enjoyed the story and look forward to the next. Complaints: Rey, way too strong too quickly. There’s no way I would easily accept a completely untrained taking on someone that had destroyed so many Jedi. It should have been her saved by the quake (or by Leia), not Ren. Not sure they left enough in her development for the future movies. Blowing up the weapon wasn’t particularly dramatic. Other than that, had a pretty good time with everything.

Casting: I do wonder if I’m ahead of a curve of being annoyed with the prevalence of British accents, particularly in sci-fi “American” movies but other than Driver (American) and the red-headed guy, I enjoyed all the casting here.

Eryk Davis Ester #894829 04/18/16 01:10 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
While I disliked the film I actually really liked Domhnall Gleeson as the fascist General Hux. I thought his glassy-eyed Hitler hate speech was really well done and found his rivalry with Ren to be interesting. He made a good villain you can root against.

Dave Hackett #894886 04/18/16 01:49 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally Posted by Dave Hackett
While I disliked the film I actually really liked Domhnall Gleeson as the fascist General Hux. I thought his glassy-eyed Hitler hate speech was really well done and found his rivalry with Ren to be interesting. He made a good villain you can root against.

Goes to taste, That scene came off to me as "try too hard." I see the actors has been in a lot of successful movies so he's obviously no quick-cast. The acting nor the character resonated with me, I kind of wanted him to go away. But then as I posted, I wasn't enamored with any of the bad guys other than Phasm. Even with her I could get picky.

Also thought Finn came off cowardly instead of conflicted (which I would have preferred) in the early scenes, though I really liked him later enough to forget that early impression.

And the actress playing Rey was into ballet so she is athletic and her scenes with the fighting stick were really good. It's the light saber stuff looked awkward, maybe acted that way. Looking at it again, her wide armed, foot stomping kind of way of running might be her acting like a young teen instead of someone in her early 20s?

On re-watch I see I was mistaken about the ship that dropped Rey off. It was a Correlian type freightor but had a different drive than the Falcon. I wonder how they will tell that story?

Fanfic Lady #921068 01/24/17 01:02 AM
More Polyanna than Poison Ivy
More Polyanna than Poison Ivy
bump

For comparing & contrasting with the speculation about the 2nd installment, with its own thread generously started by Lardy, for hindsight thoughts, and for a remarkable woman we lost too soon.

Originally Posted by Fanfic Lady

I thought Carrie Fisher was magnificent. The hard life that she's led in Real Life adds richness and gravity to Leia.

Read LEGIONS OF 7 WORLDS in the Bits forum:

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 1 (COMPLETED)

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 2 (WORK IN PROGRESS)

"Don't look for role models, girls, BE the role model."

- Legion World member HARBINGER
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,019
Posts1,044,941
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
Timothy
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
mogli
mogli
San Diego, CA. USA
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star