Roll Call
1 members (Legion Tracker, Legion Tracker, Legion Tracker, Legion Tracker, Legion Tracker, Legion Tracker), 22 Murran Spies, and 31 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Legion Tracker - 04/25/24 06:56 PM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Gaseous Lad - 04/25/24 01:27 PM
So, what are you listening to?
by Gaseous Lad - 04/25/24 01:26 PM
DC/Marvel Crossovers to be collected in 2024
by Ann Hebistand - 04/25/24 08:21 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by idle - 04/25/24 05:38 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/25/24 12:32 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/24/24 03:52 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 17 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 16 17
Re: DC Comics Rebirth
Sarcasm Kid #909009 09/15/16 08:58 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I just hope they don't ignore Morrison's Multiversity in all this when they explain Dr Manhattan's involvement. It could be super interesting if this were all tied into that.

Last edited by DrakeB3004; 09/15/16 09:00 PM.
Sarcasm Kid #909011 09/15/16 10:50 PM
More Polyanna than Poison Ivy
More Polyanna than Poison Ivy
^^That's a good point, but, sadly, I don't think Johns has the creative scope to accommodate such a concept. I know that's a bit harsh, but I'm sticking to it (I'm still bitter about the money I wasted on "Infinite Crisis.") To his credit, Johns *does* seem to be proving himself a good "midwife" to the current crop of DC writers. Who knows, maybe he's finally realized his limitations as a writer and decided that his true talent lies in being a facilitator to other, better writers?

For concepts such as Multiversity, I believe that, for the foreseeable future at least, we're going to have to rely on the Young Animal imprint rather than the mainstream part of the DCU. Because for all their general back-to-basics solidity, the current mainstream DCU comics are not, in my view, particularly innovative. Not that I'm trying to take away any credit from Johns et al for finally moving the DCU beyond the sordid horrors of the DiDio reign (BTW, I also have this theory that DiDio is going to be quietly "let go" by Warners, with as little fanfare as possible, once his contract expires. Dare we entertain the notion that Warners has finally wised up to his toxic presence?)

Read LEGIONS OF 7 WORLDS in the Bits forum:

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 1 (COMPLETED)

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 2 (WORK IN PROGRESS)

"Don't look for role models, girls, BE the role model."

- Legion World member HARBINGER
Fanfic Lady #909230 09/16/16 03:49 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally Posted by Fanfic Lady
^ (I'm still bitter about the money I wasted on "Infinite Crisis.")

Sniff, sniff. I too wasted that money.

Sarcasm Kid #909232 09/16/16 03:51 PM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
I was young and stupid back then, and didn't know any better. Literally I was like 15.

I'm still stupid, but...

Sarcasm Kid #909233 09/16/16 03:56 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
So clearly Cobie is trying to push Superman on us. I don't know how I feel about that ... I'm not particularly pro-Kryptonian (I mean, didn't one US president nominee promise to build a fence?)

I MIGHT pick up the TPB

Ok, Nightwing was so good. SOOOO good. I was really happy with this opening arc. It tied people together, was cleanly illustrated, and well written.

Detective. WOW WOW WOW. I loved how the issue moved and how certain issues were raised and resolved. I don't want to give away any spoilers but it was both emotionally moving and soundly resolved.

Super Woman. WOW WOW WOW. I love Phil's art but I think his writing is erratic. This issue is SO good, it's insane. The emotional connections, the action, the movement. It's a treat.

Birds of Prey. Ok, we're finally getting to some meat on the bone. I have been skeptical about this (not because of the creators - I'm unfamiliar with them) BUT this issue is a pay-off issue. There's a build towards it that is both well-executed and a delight in some places to read.

Super-Man. I get it. He's Chinese. He's kind of an ass. BUT the story is finally about his transformation. Do I think there's weak points? ABSOLUTELY. Do I think it's getting better? ABSOLUTELY.

Doom Patrol. Don't sleep. Pick it up and enjoy the rhythm

Wonder Woman. I'm not the biggest Rucka fan, but Scott's art is fantastic. WW has been a GREAT book to pick up. Delightful surprise.

Suicide Squad. Please leave, Jim Lee. Just go. The story is great.

Deathstroke. Ok. I hate the character and I LOVE this comic so far. WOW WOW WOW

Is that a theme?

Last edited by Myg - Andy S; 09/16/16 03:58 PM.
Sarcasm Kid #909855 09/19/16 11:29 AM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
Holy CRAP Nightwing's going back to Bludhaven.

Now I'm interested.

Sarcasm Kid #911435 09/30/16 04:07 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Trinty #1 was interesting. Manapual's art and design are fantastic. The story is light on action as the big three sit down to dinner and try to get to know each other better. It's a continuity heavy book as Francis does his best to reference events across all three heroes' respective books. He actually does a decent job, but I suspect he'll drive himself nuts if he's beholden to happenings in 6-7 other books all the time. Batman's still a bit of a guarded dick around Supes and Lois and Diana try and bond (getting past the awkwardness that Diana was in love with the previous Superman). The inciting action for the story really only gets started on the last page. Not sure if I'll continue with it, but it wasn't bad.

Sarcasm Kid #911956 10/04/16 06:27 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
^Yeah, Manapual's art and design are just staggering to behold. Even when I wasn't reading his Flash series over the last few years, I would still look at the art inside and just be mesmerized.

I liked Trinity #1. It's an interesting dynamic to have the three of them together with this Superman, and the current Super Status-Quo. If it wasn't for Frances' storytelling, I probably wouldn't have enjoyed the issue as much but with him giving wonderful designs and a leisurely pacing, it felt just really pleasant. Did he do the colors too? (I checked and they aren't credited so I assume yes). The colors really popped as well.

Sarcasm Kid #913603 10/19/16 04:01 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
DC Rebirth has finally slowed down.

Cyborg peaked early and hasn't been able to keep the same pace

Green Lanterns and Justice League have settled into a steady pace - one that I'm not sure I need to stay with

Neither Titans book does it for me.

I am losing interest in the Batman books too.
Detective and Nightwing are still bright points, as is Deathstroke (oddly enough - never been a fan and yet...). I like the Suicide Squad

Sarcasm Kid #913609 10/19/16 04:10 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I'm still keen on the Super-Books.

Suicide Squad is good, not great.

I've loved all of the Young Animal so far.

Reserving judgement on "Death of Hawkman" & "Trinity"

Picked up Batman this week to try it.

Sarcasm Kid #913633 10/19/16 07:30 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
I'm still loving the main Super and Bat books even if this recent crossover has been a bit boring.

In fact, all the Bat books are pretty great so far: Tec, Barman, All-Star Batman, Batgirl and BOP have been really good. The only one that isn't really for me is Harley Quinn. Just can't get into it.

I love Superman, and Action has also been highly enjoyable. New Super-Man has been a surprise fun series, and I have enjoyed Superwoman #1-2 (but I assumed after the first issue that new Lois would stay dead, so no surprise there for me).

I'm also enjoying Green Arrow, Wonder Woman and Aquaman immensely. Each one is at the top of my pile each week.

I really like the story in Flash, but the artwork is too scratchy for me. A more colorful, classical superhero artist would really benefit the series.

I'm actually surprised by how much I'm liking Green Lanterns, and how much I'm starting to really like both Simon and Jessica. On the flip side, Hal and the GLC just doesn't have much substance thus far which is a shame since they have so many great characters (perhaps too many--that might be the problem).

Deathstroke has been great. Hellblazer also really enjoyable. Like Dave, I think there's a lot of room for improvement in Suicide Squad, but there's also still a lot to like.

Justice League is only okay so far. Not terrible but lacking a little oomph. I'm hoping Hitch moves on and another writer can take a stab.

I actually thought Cyborg has been surprisingly good! Admittingly, I had low expectations, but it feels very "80's superhero comics" to me, like it fits alongside Firestorm or Blue Devil.

Even Red Hood and the Outlaws has been surprisingly fun.

I'm about two weeks behind so I'm not caught up on the most recent stuff. Have not read the Young Animal stuff besides DP #1 yet, or Batman Beyond or Hawkman / Adam Strange. I also grabbed the Deadman miniseries because the artwork looks stellar but I haven't read it yet.

Still too early to tell on Supergirl. Same with Trinity, though the first issue was a really strong showing, especially art-wise.

Both Titans series are lacking, and I really wish Blue Beetle was better. Those are probably the three I'm most disappointed in (because I didn't expect much from Harley Quinn and therefore am not too surprised that it's not my cup of tea).

At the end of the day, I read every DC series first before all other comics save the Walking Dead and Saga. They've basically saved my enthusiasm for the medium! I'm stoked about Super-Sons as the Clark / Lois / Jon dynamic has been probably my favorite element of the entire Rebirth so far.

Sarcasm Kid #914016 10/23/16 08:28 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
A quick addendum: I really enjoyed Batman Beyond #1 quite a bit! That's a series I've never collected, and am glad the strong overall Rebirth showing encouraged me to sample it.

Sarcasm Kid #919960 01/03/17 11:34 AM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
So...this week sees the release of the first 2 Rebirth trades: Green Arrow and Superman. Should I get one or the other...or both? GA is probably the one I've been most anticipating...!

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
Sarcasm Kid #919993 01/04/17 04:41 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Well, if you're jonesing for Green Arrow, then I think you should definitely get it. I've enjoyed it immensely, and I think its only gotten even better over the last few issues.

Meanwhile, Superman is my favorite ongoing series in comics right now--more than anything else it just gives me the most joy in reading it. So I can't recommend it enough. The first trade should be good, but IIRC, I think it got *really good* after the first arc was finished and the next round of stories started. If I remember right, you were a big fan of Tomasi writing Dick-Batman and Damien-Robin, right? Then you should really like this as Tomasi continues to get better and better with age.

Sarcasm Kid #920024 01/04/17 06:51 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Okay, I ordered 'em AND the Lois & Clark collection that re-established pre-Flashpoint Kal-El that sets up the Rebirth status quo.

If these work out, I'll order even more Rebirth TPBs as they roll out. Speaking of which, what are some of the other best bets in terms of first Rebirth arcs?

Sarcasm Kid #920055 01/05/17 05:24 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
I definitely recommend Batman and Detective, which were both fantastic. I also highly enjoyed Nightwing and think you'll like that too.

Wonder Woman (is that included?) was fantastic.

Flash had a really great story with great writing, but I personally had a tough time with the very scratchy and heavily inked artwork. I get the sense you would feel the same, knowing your tastes. So that one I really don't recommend until you check out some samples of the art.

I personally loved Aquaman though I know it has its detractors here. It's one of my favorite ongoing series, and it's also my father's current favorite comic (tied with perhaps Wonder Woman and All-Star Batman). BTW, I think I mentioned I've got my Dad back into reading comics with Rebirth, right? He is reading most of the whole relaunch, and he even started reading Thor and Dr. Strange too.

Deathstroke is really good too, but I can't remember if its part of this initial launch.

Sarcasm Kid #920056 01/05/17 05:48 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
For Rebirth & Young Animal, I'm currently reading and liking:

Action
Superman
Suicide Squad
Trinity
Doom Patrol
Shade the Changing Girl
Cave Carson Has a Cybernetic Eye

Sarcasm Kid #920057 01/05/17 07:05 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
I also am enjoying Action quite a lot. The initial storyline is more action than anything, which I guess is appropriate to the name of the series. But from there the series has really picked up nicely and gotten even better!

Others that I'm reading & liking that aren't part of that initial wave of TPB releases include:
Superwoman
New Super-Man
All-Star Batman (loving the art)
Batgirl (loving it and I think you will too, Lardy)
Batgirl & Birds of Prey (only issue is art needs to improve)
Batman Beyond
Trinity
Green Lanterns
Hal Jordan & GLC - finally picking up steam after a weak opening arc
Cyborg
Red Hood & the Outlaws
Hellblazer
Suicide Squad
Hawkman & Adam Strange mini
Deadman: Dark Mansion of Forbidden Love mini
Doom Patrol
Cave Carson

Still too early to tell but enjoyable thus far:
Supergirl
Blue Beetle - one of weakest opening issues but improving each issue
Shade the Changing Girl

Kind of weak but still okay:
Justice League
Titans
Teen Titans
Mother Panic

Not for me:
Harley Quinn

As you can see, I am enjoying just about all of the DC titles. Some are noticeably weaker than others but I'm still enjoying them enough to keep going (*cough* Justice League *cough*). I'm satisfied enough to have put on my Pull List the Odyssey of the Amazons mini, the Captain Atom mini, and of course the awesome Kamandi project they have coming.

The only real series in danger of cancellation right now is Mother Panic. I'm super-excited for Super-Sons more than anything else, and Batwoman has my boy Steve Epting on art. Plus I'm actually excited for the eventual Legion and JSA Rebirth launches.

I'm happy to elaborate on any of them!

Sarcasm Kid #920060 01/05/17 07:29 AM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Cobie (and Dave), thanks for your recommendations. I'll probably put many of these trades on my In-Stock Trades wish list as they are released (depending upon my interest in the characters). What will put me over the top on these will be continued positive reviews and comments. I hope you guys will also keep me informed if these titles start to slide in quality. Like most, I felt burned with the New 52 and am still a little gun-shy overall for this latest relaunch, so keep that in mind.

Right now, beyond GA and Superman, my radar is probably mostly on Action, Batman, Detective, Batgirl and possibly Flash and Wonder Woman. So more thoughts on those, when they strike you, will especially be welcomed. At this point, I think Young Animal is, well, a little young for me to think too much about.

Cobie, I know that you are aware of what my favorite Batman eras are. While I would never want today's creators to ape what those guys did, those runs are an excellent basis for storytelling that you can use to gauge my interest. If they in in away approach those standards, you'll know they're right for me.

I'm tentatively really psyched at the prospect of getting back into some new superhero comics again, especially since I currently buy zero monthlies that truly fit the bill. But looking forward to a steady stream of awesome superhero trades is exciting in itself. I honestly hope Rebirth ultimately lives up to its name!

Sarcasm Kid #920062 01/05/17 07:49 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Yeah, I have a good knowledge of your favorite Bat-eras and have used that to kind of judge how I think you'll feel about the current Batman series. Which, by the way, I think you'll really like.

Detective Comics and Nightwing, IMO, really fit into your storytelling sensibilities for those characters and the Bat-universe in general. Meanwhile, Batman has a different feel and tone, unlike any Batman run I've read, but it still feels very fresh and good.

All-Star Batman is more of a high octane ride with a lot of great art (and colors!) and a shit-ton of second and third tier Batman villains. Its not my favorite series but its one I'm enjoying immensely. For JR Jr. fans like myself its a must buy.

Meanwhile, based on your past comments about Batgirl and American Vampire, I feel that the current Batgirl relaunch is right up your alley as well. They nail Bab's character really well, and the artwork is simply phenomenal. It draws thematically and tonally from the recent Burnside era, Gail Simone era and prior Babs eras but it really stands on its own apart from all of those. And for that, I'm happy, as I'm ready to just let all the Barbara Gordon stories of the past be in the past and try to enjoy something new, different and good.

I think you'll enjoy all of these series. Also, for the first time in my life I'm collecting Batman Beyond and its also been really well done.

What DC is doing right now beyond just relaunching certain characters or series is changing the way they write stories. There is a sense that they are going back and remembering certain techniques that have been forgotten over the years. The pacing is better, the dialogue is better, their using narrative captions, their jettisoning the whole 'wide screen' crap that became popular, their mixing up story-lengths between large arcs and smaller arcs and they're finding a happy medium in tone between light & dark rather than pushing to one extreme or the other. They actually feel like super-hero comics again while also feeling fresh and modern.

Sarcasm Kid #920067 01/05/17 08:50 AM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Originally Posted by Cobie
What DC is doing right now beyond just relaunching certain characters or series is changing the way they write stories. There is a sense that they are going back and remembering certain techniques that have been forgotten over the years. The pacing is better, the dialogue is better, their using narrative captions, their jettisoning the whole 'wide screen' crap that became popular, their mixing up story-lengths between large arcs and smaller arcs and they're finding a happy medium in tone between light & dark rather than pushing to one extreme or the other. They actually feel like super-hero comics again while also feeling fresh and modern.

That sounds promising. Not that everything in times past was great, storytelling wise, but something seemed to go badly wrong along the way. I put a lot of it at the door of editorial, setting the tone, and the Event driven narratives. But once it's put in place, it becomes the norm, so it became more than just them.

A recent Name Three question was along the lines of "Name Three books you're looking forward to in 2017". I went Walking Dead, Stray Bullets and... I've kinda stopped... so I couldn't answer the question. So thanks for highlighting the DC books Cobie. Like Paladin, I'm gun shy about them, but the more good things I hear, the more likely I am to take a look.

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Cobalt Kid #920068 01/05/17 08:53 AM
Pov Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Don't Stop Peelieving
Originally Posted by Cobalt Kid
They nail Bab's character really well... It draws thematically and tonally from ...prior Babs eras but it really stands on its own

/snip

It really helps that there's an immediate change in scenery and setting. Albuquerque handles heroics as deftly as he does horror, making this one of the better books out there. SO good.

Sarcasm Kid #920071 01/05/17 08:56 AM
strange but not a stranger
strange but not a stranger
Of the books mentioned, one not mentioned that I am enjoying is Red Hood and the Outlaws. Gone are Arsenal and Starfire, in are Artemis and Bizarro. The first arc which set up the team just finished. I am looking forward to the next arc and seeing where it goes.

Big Dog! Big Dog! Bow Wow Wow!
Sarcasm Kid #920084 01/05/17 09:23 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
^ I'm also enjoying it quite a bit which is a big surprise for me. The writing is very crisp, and thus far the characters have all been built up to be interesting with their various interactions producing some really good scenes.

Sarcasm Kid #920103 01/05/17 06:20 PM
Pov Offline
Don't Stop Peelieving
Don't Stop Peelieving
I'm planning on getting the first trade collecting the Dark Trinity arc... I've heard nothing but good things about it from Conjure Lass. love

Page 9 of 17 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 16 17

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,019
Posts1,044,940
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
Timothy
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
EuroMutt
EuroMutt
Lancaster, PA
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star