Roll Call
0 members (), 36 Murran Spies, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/04/24 08:26 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/04/24 08:21 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by stile86 - 05/04/24 07:26 PM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by stile86 - 05/04/24 07:25 PM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Ann Hebistand - 05/04/24 12:22 PM
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/04/24 02:29 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 12 of 20 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 19 20
Re: The Big Pile o'Trades on the Coffee Table Next to My Recliner!
Lard Lad #903330 07/20/16 04:45 PM
L
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
L
Yeep! I'll have to update my Pile List in the next coupla days! There have certainly been lots of wild additions since the last update!

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
Lard Lad #906113 08/18/16 08:47 AM
L
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
L
Been over 3 months since the last update! I haven't read a great deal from the Pile in the interim, largely due to a pre-Baxter/2nd Levitz era LSH re-read and about a month spent putting a dent in my huge backlog of "new" floppies. (At least I'm now in 2016 with those! blush )

Meanwhile, my addiction to finding great deals on eBay hasn't faltered at all, so look toward the bottom to see all of the stunning additions I've made.....

Pile UPDATE (8/18/16)

Currently Reading
Marvel Masterworks: Captain America Vol. 7 (Englehart)
Fantastic Four by John Byrne Omnibus Vol. 1

Recently Read
New Teen Titans Vol. 3
Darth Vader Vol. 2
Planet Hulk
Marvel Masterworks: The Defenders Vol. 4

To-Read Pile
Mage Vol. 2: The Hero Defined
West Coast Avengers Omnibus Vol. 2
Goldfish
Fantastic Four by John Byrne Omnibus Vol. 2
Scout Vol. 2
Frank Miller's Ronin Deluxe Edition
Spider-Man by Roger Stern Omnibus
Marvel Masterworks: Silver Surfer Vol. 1
Iron Man by Michelinie, Layton & Romita, Jr. Omnibus
Murder Me Dead (David Lapham)
Stray Bullets Uber Alles Edition
Grimjack Omnibus Vol. 2
Jon Sable: Freelance Omnibus Vols. 1 & 2
Secret Six Vol. 1: Villains United
Underwater Welder
Marvel Masterworks: Doctor Strange Vol. 6
Flex Mentallo
Nemo: Heart of Ice, Roses of Berlin & River of Ghosts
Orion by Walt Simonson Omnibus
Shaman's Tears (Mike Grell)
Howard the Duck Omnibus
Just the Tips (a Sex Criminals companion by Fraction/Zdarsky)
Thor Omnibus Vol. 2
Marada the She-Wolf
Legends of the Dark Knight: Norm Breyfogle Vol. 1
Bandette Vol. 2
Amazing Spider-Man: The Original Clone Saga (still have to read the Carrion stuff)
Swamp Thing (Brian K. Vaughn) Vols. 1 & 2
Star Wars: The Original Marvel Years Omnibus Vol. 3
Pride of Baghdad
Camelot 3000 Deluxe edition
Guardians of Galaxy Vol. 1 (Bendis)
Moon Knight Epic Collection Vols. 1 & 2
Star Wars: Legacy (Ostrander) Vols. 2-5
Star Wars: Tag & Bink Were Here
The Private Eye (Vaughn)
Descender Vol. 1
Deadpool Classics Vols. 1 & 2
Crossover Classics Marvel/DC Vol. 1
Paying for It by Chester Brown
Princess Leia
Secret History Omnibus Vols. 2 & 3
Showcase Presents Warlord Vol. 1
World War Hulk
Star Slammers Complete Collection
Essential Peter Parker Spectacular Spider-Man Vol. 1
Crisis on Infinite Earths Deluxe Edition
Thanos: Infinity Revelation
The Wizard's Tale
Superman: Secret Identity

Recent Pile Additions Since Last Update
Twilight Children
Marvel Masterworks Captain America Vol. 8
New Teen Titans Vol. 4
Thor: The Mighty Avenger Complete Collection
Deadpool Classics Vol. 3
Marvel Masterworks: The Defenders Vol. 5
Wonder Woman: Earth One
Doom Patrol/Grant Morrison Omnibus
X-Statix Omnibus
Essential Amazing Spider-Man Vol 10
Ultimate Spider-Man: Chameleons
Doctor Strange/Jason Aaron Vol. 1
World War Hulk: Incredible Hercules
Batman by Moench & Jones Vol. 1
John Carter Warlord of Mars Marvel Omnibus
Essential Spectacular Spider-Man Vols. 2 & 3
Death & Return of Superman Omnibus
Southern Bastards Vol. 3

Lard Lad #906114 08/18/16 08:54 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
X-Statix Ominbus? Nice! Was it a good deal?

EDIT: And the Doom Patrol Omnibus! That thing's a beast. I can't find it for less than $130 Cdn (BEFORE shipping).

Last edited by Dave Hackett; 08/18/16 08:55 AM.
Lard Lad #906115 08/18/16 09:07 AM
L
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
L
I got the DP Omnibus for $74.01 (+$6 shipping). It's used but in excellent condition. It retails for $150, and I got it for a shade under In-stock Trades' $82.50. (I'm always looking to beat the IST price on eBay. If I fail to, want it enough and lose patience, I just buy it at IST.)

X-Statix cost me $64.88 with free shipping. It was still sealed in shrinkwrap. Its cover price is $125. It's apparently not on IST now, unless there's a search error.

I'm SUPER patient and diligent about keeping up with eBay searches on a daily basis. It almost always pays off eventually. I think the one I've had the hardest time for the longest fining the deal I want is the Wonder Woman by George Perez Omnibus for under IST's $41. I think this is mostly because of her role in BvS and her upcoming solo film.

Last edited by Paladin; 08/18/16 09:09 AM.

Lard Lad #906124 08/18/16 10:39 AM
More Polyanna than Poison Ivy
Lardy,

Why isn't X-Factor on your list?? frown

Read LEGIONS OF 7 WORLDS in the Bits forum:

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 1 (COMPLETED)

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 2 (WORK IN PROGRESS)

"Don't look for role models, girls, BE the role model."

- Legion World member HARBINGER
Fanfic Lady #906125 08/18/16 10:48 AM
L
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
L
Originally Posted by Fanfic Lady
Lardy,

Why isn't X-Factor on your list?? frown

Oh, I've got those put aside for when the mood hits. That doesn't mean it will be read last; I just consider that a separate thing. Kind of like the Pile is separate from the floppies, which were both separate from the Legion re-read I recently did. Plus, the X-factor thing is a combination of trades and floppies.

Hopefully, that makes some sense? shrug

Lard Lad #906128 08/18/16 11:16 AM
It does make sense. Thanks for explaining, Lardy, now I'm totally relieved. smile

Lard Lad #906562 08/23/16 11:39 AM
L
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
L
I'm currently now reading my Tales of the Dark Knight/Norm Breyfogle hardcover, and I'm loving the HELL out of it! This isn't particularly surprising for me, but it's always a relief when you revisit old stories and feel just as enthused about it or more so than you did back in the day!

Norm's trademark style and touch with the Bat is already evident in his first story and only gets better from there. And after you read a few stories with other writers, it really takes off with his first Grant/Wagner scripts! I mean, FIRST THING with those guys, we get the first appearance of Scarface and the Ventriloquist, which I feel is Norm's most significant villain contribution to the mythos. GAWD, it was so great to re-experience them written and portrayed correctly after having later creative teams completely mess up the characters with new Ventriloquists and other crappy reinventions! mad

I don't want to make this wonderful hardcover seem all about the Ventriloquist and Scarface, but they were such masterful creations from the get-go. Scarface pronouncing his B's as G's (because of the ventriloquism). Wesker/the Ventriloquist's docile look that Norm makes such a wonderful caricature with. Scarface's insistence on talking to "me, not him!" Batman's refusal to do so. And just the wonderful, schizoid quality of it all!

And that's only 120 pages in, so far! Even before the standout 2-parter, we get a number of great one-offs with writers like Mike Barr and Max Allan Collins. The only stinker is a Millenium tie-in that makes almost no sense outside the context of that legendarily bad crossover. It's a shame because the central conceit involves exploring Gordon's past as a naval intelligence officer and, of course, some terrific Breyfogle art.

It's an awesome, gorgeous hardcover and a wonderful keepsake for fans of one of the best Batman artists ever. I'm looking forward to the last 300 pages and all the wonders that await within--and to the announced second volume in January! nod

Lard Lad #906563 08/23/16 11:51 AM
Scarface (to a bartender): "Gottle of geer. GOTTLE OF GEER!"

LOL lol

Great stuff. Thanks, Lardy, for the reminders of what a treasure the Grant/Breyfogle-era Batman is. nod

Fanfic Lady #906565 08/23/16 12:01 PM
L
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
L
Scarface (to a bartender): "Gottle of geer. GOTTLE OF GEER!"

LOL lol

Great stuff. Thanks, Lardy, for the reminders of what a treasure the Grant/Breyfogle-era Batman is. nod

I know, right?

And back to Ventriloquist/Scarface, I feel that they were the most significant Bat-villains to be introduced since, arguably, Ra's al Ghul. You could certainly make arguments in favor of Killer Croc and Black Mask, who are significant additions in the interim, but I personally feel Wesker and Scarface have a bigger hook and uniqueness to them. Like Croc, they were also immortalized in B:TAS, but if you look at how comparatively recently they debuted before the series and still made it in, I feel it speaks volumes!

It's a shame that DC has since messed with such a good thing when so many others in Batman's rogue's gallery remain relatively intact. mad

Lard Lad #906580 08/24/16 01:58 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
I'm jealous that you're rereading such an amazing era of Batman! Like you, I love this era (which helped cement as a major Bat-fan for life) and I'm a huge fan of Breyfogle.

I agree on the Ventriliquist and Scarface too. Huge favorites of mine since their debut, they're an excellent, genius addition to Batman's rogues gallery. I also love Croc and Black Mask equally as much, btw--I feel all three were just terrific; and although all are of the 1980's, it had actually been some time since the former two when the Ventriliquist was introduced.

If any good can come out all these DC reboots, hopefully it will be characters like the original Ventriliquist returning, back as they originally were before sub-par writers thought it a good idea to mess with a good thing.

Lard Lad #906585 08/24/16 03:05 AM
Another great bit involving Scarface & the Ventriloquist is when Batman allows himself a rare (private) smile and chuckle at his new rouges' expense -- "I'll see to it that they end up GEHIND GARS." lol

Cobalt Kid #906628 08/24/16 02:20 PM
L
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
L
Originally Posted by Cobalt Kid
I'm jealous that you're rereading such an amazing era of Batman! Like you, I love this era (which helped cement as a major Bat-fan for life) and I'm a huge fan of Breyfogle.

Well, I'm sure you can re-read them, too, assuming they're accessible!

I agree on the Ventriliquist and Scarface too. Huge favorites of mine since their debut, they're an excellent, genius addition to Batman's rogues gallery. I also love Croc and Black Mask equally as much, btw--I feel all three were just terrific; and although all are of the 1980's, it had actually been some time since the former two when the Ventriliquist was introduced.

I'm not trying to dis Croc or Black Mask, but to me, the Ventriloquist and Scarface add some thing to Batman's rogues gallery that is not only unique and stylish but also felt like such a perfect addition that I just had to nod and think, "of course!"--if you know what I mean. Croc and Mask are cool but don't feel to me like there was a spot just waiting waiting for them amongst the ranks. The entertainment value they provide made any appearance something to be looked forward to, like the Joker used to be.

Hope that clarifies and distinguishes my feelings vis a vis when comparing them to Croc and Mask. I'd love to see some counterpoint, if you're game!

If any good can come out all these DC reboots, hopefully it will be characters like the original Ventriliquist returning, back as they originally were before sub-par writers thought it a good idea to mess with a good thing.

Hopefully, but only if whomever does so really loves the duo and understands how to do them justice.

Fanfic Lady #906629 08/24/16 02:22 PM
L
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
L
Another great bit involving Scarface & the Ventriloquist is when Batman allows himself a rare (private) smile and chuckle at his new rouges' expense -- "I'll see to it that they end up GEHIND GARS." lol

I've noticed that Batman in these stories doesn't have a board up his ass all the time! lol

Lard Lad #906715 08/25/16 11:16 AM
Originally Posted by Paladin

I've noticed that Batman in these stories doesn't have a board up his ass all the time! lol

Yes, some of the then-concurrent writers of the Batman flagship book (*cough* Jim Starlin *cough*) could've taken a page or two from Alan Grant. nod

Lard Lad #910366 09/22/16 03:20 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Originally Posted by Paladin
So, to get all caught up, my most recent read from The Pile was the Huntress: Darknight Daughter TPB I'd gotten last summer. This was a no-brainer to get once I learned of its existence because I love me some classic Earth-2 and have been particularly enamored of its alternate Batman mythos since I was a child. This collection reprints the Huntress solo stories from DC Superstars 17, Batman Family 18-20 and her backup stories from Wonder Woman 271-287, 289-90 & 294-95. The writer is her co-creator and giant among the Legion mythos Paul Levitz and the penciller is her co-creator Joe Staton with various inkers including Steve Mitchell, Bob Layton and Jerry Ordway among others.

I love this original version of the Huntress! Even as a pre-teen there was something that attracted me to her enough that I actually bought a couple of the original issues of Wonder Woman (which also happened to feature the debut of Diana's "WW" breastplate) to read Helena's adventures. I only bought one or two of them, but I've always remembered those back-ups and how much I loved the character. Really, her post-Crisis revamp as Helena Bertinelli and even her supposed return to form in the New 52 have paled in comparison, and reading the stories collected within this trade have only reaffirmed that belief.

It's really hard for me to pinpoint what makes these stories really good to me. There have certainly been better-written stories by writers and even Levitz himself, certainly. But I love how Helena's legacy drives her without also overwhelming her. I love that it's Earth-2, but the writing doesn't beat you over the head trying to explain it. I love how her world's Robin and Power Girl guest star but don't overshadow her in her own book. I love that she's tough but no clone of her father. I love the sad origin story centered around her mother's death and the terrible circumstances around it. And I just love that there's a reality where a recognizable version of Bruce and Selina fell in love and had a daughter that carried on their legacies.

Levitz was a fledgling writer crafting these stories, and there are some flaws and holes in many of his plots. But Helena is always capable, likable while also having flaws. Her characterization and the heart he injects into the stories make the flaws easily diminished.

I said in earlier reviews of his run on the Justice Society in the '70s that Joe Staton did some of his best work in the Earth-2 milieu. the same certainly goes for his work on the Huntress. He draws her consistently and beautifully in all of these stories, regardless of who is inking, though some inkers do a better job than others. Here, I could especially see that perhaps Tom Mandrake had some Staton influence in his work.

I honestly don't know if everyone would enjoy this collection as much as I did, but if you like Helena Wayne and the classic earth-2 mythos, I don't think you'll be disappointed. It actually has me hungering for more, as I know there were actually a number of Huntress backups written by Joey Cavalieri for a while after these, which concluded Levitz's run. It seems unlikely that we'll ever get a second collection, sadly.

Actually, it makes me a bit resentful of Crisis and the kind of casual panel-or-so death it gave Helena and Dick. Huntress has never been the same, and she had the potential to be the female superstar that DC has had so relatively few of.

That's really gotten me interested in reading more about Helena, Lardy. I think your review nailed it - in the last issues of COIE, Helena shows exactly what you described. She is capable while still not being perfect, and her flaws make her endearing. I remember her crying after she found out she should not exist. Yet, she still somehow showed strength despite having her world torn to pieces.

When she was narrating her rude awakening, she even casually slips in a "I changed into my street clothes while out of sight. Always protect your secret identity." And she even did her detective work to find out about her existence.

I also felt sad for her death. It wasn't the best death. And the fact that she, Kole and Robin died just before the magicians succeeded in defeating the shadow demons was a big blow! I kept thinking, if only the magicians had succeeded a few moments earlier...

Lard Lad #910369 09/22/16 03:49 PM
L
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
L
Yep, I think she was a great character for all those reasons and more. And no Helena Bertinelli or New 52 Helena Wayne can ever compare in my eyes. In a way, the deaths of such characters as Helena, Dick and Kole are the true legacy of Crisis because unlike Barry, Kara and some of the rest, there's never been a true resurrection (if any) or reboot that restored these characters as they were.

Thanks for reading the post and reacting, btw, Ibby. I hope you check out the trade. It won't blow anyone away as the best trade they've ever read, but you truly get a sense of this character and what made her special in a way that people who've only experienced later versions have never been able to.

Lard Lad #910373 09/22/16 04:24 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
So true. It's these "lost" characters that really get me.

As for Kara, I don't know her various selves well enough to say whether the post-Crisis versions are equivalent to the pre-crisis ones. I totally agree with you on Barry though.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts, Lardy. It was a pleasure to read yours. I'll definitely put this trade on my wish list!

Lard Lad #910375 09/22/16 04:32 PM
L
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
L
I thought a little about Kara as I wrote that stuff above. While it's true that Kara may never be the same character she was until her death in Crisis, I think she has had moments and sparks (mostly the Gates/Igle run pre-New 52) that resonate to her original version. And it doesn't hurt that she has an outstanding portrayal ongoing in her own TV series. Helena, even with her restoration as Batman's daughter on a new version of Earth-2, still doesn't feel the same.

Lard Lad #910377 09/22/16 04:40 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
That's a good point, with all of Kara's portrayals, she's bound to have one that is very close to her original version.

And I agree about Helena, I read a little bit of the New 52 Helena and she just does not seem quite the same as the other versions.

The closest version of Helena to the pre-COIE version, for me, has been the Helena that appeared in the Post-Infinite Crisis Earth-2 stories. Specifically, the one where the Earth-1 Power Girl was drawn to Earth-2, only to find another Power Girl and another JSA existing there. The Helena that appeared there was the only E-2 JSAer with enough sense and compassion to call out the rest of the E-2 JSA for their shoddy treatment (and torture, dare I say!) of E-1 PG.

Lard Lad #910379 09/22/16 04:47 PM
L
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
L
Yep, that was the closest, but it was so brief! I really thought geoff would do more with this new/old version of earth-2, but, IIRC, it fell by the wayside really quickly! I don't know if it ever reappeared outside of those handful of issues and before all was wiped clean for the New 52.

Lard Lad #911685 10/01/16 07:31 PM
L
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
L
Pile UPDATE (10/01/16)

Currently Reading
Spider-Man by Roger Stern Omnibus
Fantastic Four by John Byrne Omnibus Vol. 1

Recently Read
Essential Peter Parker Spectacular Spider-Man Vols. 1 & 2
Legends of the Dark Knight: Norm Breyfogle Vol. 1
Amazing Spider-Man: The Original Clone Saga (the rest)
Essential Amazing Spider-Man Vol. 10

To-Read Pile
Mage Vol. 2: The Hero Defined
West Coast Avengers Omnibus Vol. 2
Goldfish
Fantastic Four by John Byrne Omnibus Vol. 2
Scout Vol. 2
Frank Miller's Ronin Deluxe Edition
Marvel Masterworks: Silver Surfer Vol. 1
Iron Man by Michelinie, Layton & Romita, Jr. Omnibus
Murder Me Dead (David Lapham)
Stray Bullets Uber Alles Edition
Grimjack Omnibus Vol. 2
Jon Sable: Freelance Omnibus Vols. 1 & 2
Secret Six Vol. 1: Villains United
Underwater Welder
Marvel Masterworks: Doctor Strange Vol. 6
Flex Mentallo
Nemo: Heart of Ice, Roses of Berlin & River of Ghosts
Orion by Walt Simonson Omnibus
Shaman's Tears (Mike Grell)
Howard the Duck Omnibus
Just the Tips (a Sex Criminals companion by Fraction/Zdarsky)
Thor Omnibus Vol. 2
Marada the She-Wolf
Bandette Vol. 2
Swamp Thing (Brian K. Vaughn) Vols. 1 & 2
Star Wars: The Original Marvel Years Omnibus Vol. 3
Pride of Baghdad
Camelot 3000 Deluxe edition
Guardians of Galaxy Vol. 1 (Bendis)
Moon Knight Epic Collection Vols. 1 & 2
Star Wars: Legacy (Ostrander) Vols. 2-5
Star Wars: Tag & Bink Were Here
The Private Eye (Vaughn)
Descender Vol. 1
Deadpool Classics Vols. 1, 2 & 3
Crossover Classics Marvel/DC Vol. 1
Paying for It by Chester Brown
Princess Leia TPB
Secret History Omnibus Vols. 2 & 3
Showcase Presents Warlord Vol. 1
World War Hulk
Star Slammers Complete Collection
Crisis on Infinite Earths Deluxe Edition
Thanos: Infinity Revelation
The Wizard's Tale
Superman: Secret Identity
Twilight Children
Marvel Masterworks Captain America Vol. 8
New Teen Titans Vol. 4
Thor: The Mighty Avenger Complete Collection
Marvel Masterworks: The Defenders Vol. 5
Wonder Woman: Earth One
Doom Patrol/Grant Morrison Omnibus
X-Statix Omnibus
Ultimate Spider-Man: Chameleons
Doctor Strange/Jason Aaron Vol. 1
World War Hulk: Incredible Hercules
Batman by Moench & Jones Vol. 1
John Carter Warlord of Mars Marvel Omnibus
Essential Spectacular Spider-Man Vol. 3
Death & Return of Superman Omnibus
Southern Bastards Vol. 3

Recent Pile Additions Since Last Update
All-Star Section Eight
Star Wars: Rebel Jail
Batgirl Vols. 1-3 (Stewart/Fletcher/Tarr)
Rachel Rising Vols. 1 & 2
iZombie Omnibus
Tales of the Batman: Alan Brennert
Wonder Woman by Perez Omnibus (finally!)
Lazarus Vol. 4
Incredible Hulk: Heart of the Atom
Fables: 1001 Nights of Snowfall
Fables: Werewolves of Heartland

On the Way
Omega Men: End Is Here

So, reading-wise, I've really been invested in reading the Spidey stuff. I've woven in and out of the Essentials and trades and have finally gotten to the Stern Omnibus. Once I read thru that and the post-Stern portion of the Spectacular Essential Vol. 3, I will have officially read all of Amazing and Spectacular up to the point where I started buying both titles off the shelves. (I'll eventually go back and get the MTU Essentials to fill in those blanks, but I think most Spider-fans will agree that they aren't all that necessary.) As a big Spider-Man fan, I'm really happy about having finally accomplished that!

I may write a little more about this in the All-Spider-man thread if the mood strikes. I will say that Bill Mantlo was a surprisingly good Spider-scribe vs. my expectations. Denny O'neil, however, was pretty darn unmemorable during his (mercifully) brief run. But Roger stern---from the get-go, he just brings all the subtle and mature storytelling to the table that just confirms my longheld regard for him as one of the very best Spider-scribes of all time! (To refresh y'all's memory, I think it's Lee, Conway, Stern, PAD, DeMatteis, Slott--in order from earliest to most recent.) I mean right from the beginning--and without the steady artistic influence that won't come until he and JRJr finally get together in Amazing!

Lard Lad #911700 10/01/16 10:51 PM
Awesome, Lardy!! Congratulations on reaching such a milestone with your Spidey reads!

Yeah, I agree that Denny O'Neil's Spidey stories were mostly a lost opportunity. But in fairness to Denny, he may have just needed a breather from the street-level crime drama stuff; after all, before he moved to Marvel, he'd been doing Batman stories for a full decade. And I, for one, find his Iron Man run has been unfairly vilified; it's not perfect, but it has an ambitious long-form novel scope, beginning with Tony falling off the wagon, and climaxing in IM 200 with him going toe-to-toe with the man who nearly destroyed him mind, body, and soul. Denny's IM was one of the few 80s Marvel runs outside of the mutant books to attempt something like that. Denny also distinguished himself as an editor during his time with Marvel -- all of John Byrne's Alpha Flight and Hulk work, Jo Duffy's Power Man & Iron Fist run, and...uh...Fr*nk M*ll*r's Daredevil (well, they can't all stand the test of time, BUT, to end this digression on a positive note, it's a little-known fact that, early on in his Marvel-editor stint, Denny actually gave none other than *Steve Bissette* his first big break into the comic book mainstream! I'll get into the details in Steve's own thread at some point, but...wow, small world, isn't it?)

And regarding your recent additions, I'm very excited about hearing what you think of Tom King's Omega Men. Also Fables: 1001 Nights of Snowfall, and especially the Wonder Woman Perez Omnibus, because even though I've come to believe its badly dated, it's also a great discussion topic (in a way, that's Diana's tragedy -- her stories tend to be more fun to talk about analytically than to actually read! IMHO.)

Also, it somehow slipped by me until now that you've been following Lazarus. Much as I usually dislike Rucka, and much as his current return to Diana's book has me underwhelmed from what little I read before I gave up on it (bringing back the Cheetah for the millionth time -- and to make things worse, it's the gross and creepy Perez version -- way to go, Greggy), I have to grudgingly admit I've been intrigued by Lazarus, since it's his own thing rather than some clumsy take on a familiar corporate IP. So whenever you get a chance, could you please give me like the gist of what's it's all about?

Lard Lad #911711 10/02/16 12:29 AM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Lots to look forward to. I've read a number of them and haven't read just as many.

I have read Perez's Wonder Woman. I thought I quite liked it, but I dropped it moments after he stopped pencilling it, which is probably very telling.

I've been reading Lazarus too. Not from the start, so I've a few gaps, but look forward to thoughts on that too.

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Lard Lad #911758 10/02/16 08:26 AM
L
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
L
I read Perez's Wonder Woman when it came out, so it won't be "news" to me, but I do like purchasing memorable runs in Omnibus format, even if they're ones I have read. Omnibuses are just such a great, quality and relatively inexpensive format if you shop carefully. I have fond memory of George's WW, particularly the part of it he drew, which this collects the entirety of. (Chris Marrinan and company were a poor substitute, imo, and I dropped the book fairly quickly.) I loved George's designs for Olympus and the various gods.

As for Lazarus, after the last arc, I decided to switch to trades. It's a good book with a well-realized world, but the pace is Rucka's trademark glacier impression. This will be my first TPB, so we'll see how it goes. I will say, though, that the arc which made up Vol. 3 was easily the strongest yet and made me regret the switch somewhat. The developments and forward momentum of that arc were just what the book needed. (Recall that I am perpetually way behind in my floppy reading, so I made the decision to switch prior to the arc's completion, as I similarly did with Southern Bastards.)

Lazarus is basically set on Earth in the near future. Rucka extrapolates our present day to predict that corporations literally take over the world and split it up into x number of corporate-controlled territories. Each family that controls these territories keeps a tight circle of themselves and a percentage of skilled laborers that is a fraction of the population. All others are "waste" and completely subjugated.

Most families have a Lazarus who represents whatever technology helped establish its dominance and is also their military leader. The book focuses on the Carlyle family whose territory is basically the western half of what was the U.S. Forever Carlyle is their genetically-enhanced Lazarus. Over time, she questions her very identity and her role in the family.

That's a pellet description, but there's a lot more put into it.

Page 12 of 20 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 19 20

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,020
Posts1,045,115
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
AndrewNolan
AndrewNolan
Pennsylvania
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star