Roll Call
0 members (), 17 Murran Spies, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
So, what are you listening to?
by Ann Hebistand - 04/26/24 04:22 PM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/26/24 12:53 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/26/24 06:56 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/26/24 06:55 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/26/24 06:51 AM
DC/Marvel Crossovers to be collected in 2024
by Ann Hebistand - 04/25/24 08:21 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/24/24 03:52 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: It's a Wonderful Topic!
Eryk Davis Ester #883120 12/28/15 06:55 AM
strange but not a stranger
strange but not a stranger
Originally Posted by Eryk Davis Ester
I highly recommend all of Capra's major films. IMO, he's one of the best directors of all time. Meet John Doe is another great one that sometimes gets shown at Christmas, though it's really only the climax of it that takes place at Christmas.

In re-reading this thread, I was thinking about "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington". I like the little touches that also affect the characters. In this Movie Jean Arthur plays Jimmy Stewart;s secretary. She is world-worn from all the politics. But when she call's Jimmy Stewart's mother, she calls her by her first name and Jean Arthur is touched by that and realizes just how real Jimmy Stewart is.

Big Dog! Big Dog! Bow Wow Wow!
Lard Lad #919165 12/25/16 04:38 AM
L
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
L
I got to watch every minute of my beloved saga of George Bailey last night. DVR'd it and watched it straight through while the wife and kids were fast asleep.

I found myself lingering on Violet again, this time. In the Pottersville timeline, I was wondering why she was in trouble. I couldn't hear the dialogue super-well, but it sounded like she may have lifted someone's wallet? And I'm certainly intrigued by her and George's relationship. I know there was nothing untoward going on between them, but I wonder how often he gave her money. She is an intriguing character who I still want to know more about!

It's interesting always to see how circumstances continually pull George away from his getting out of Bedford Falls, even denying him a honeymoon. I noted this time that even though George tries to resist his attraction to Mary and the symbolism of her further tying him to the town that it is she who begs him to stay in the cab when the Building & Loan is having the run on it. She's trying in her own way to keep his dream alive. But he can't resist, and she offers up their honeymoon money to keep the business alive.

I also love the quick cuts in the wartime scenes showing Mary continually fixing up their house and slowly making what was the old wreck at Sycamore into a lovely home.

And apparently, rampant Jitterbugging is the single activity that shows what a slum Pottersville was in the alt-Bedford Falls!

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
Lard Lad #919180 12/25/16 09:57 AM
space mutineer & purveyor of quality sammitches
I've always interpreted Violet's "in trouble" as euphemism for pregnant. Even as a kid in the 1970s, lots of my elders from that generation used the same phrasing.

hmmm

Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on DeviantArt! Drop by and tell me that I sent you. *updated often!*
cleome57 #919184 12/25/16 10:11 AM
L
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
L
Originally Posted by cleome50
I've always interpreted Violet's "in trouble" as euphemism for pregnant. Even as a kid in the 1970s, lots of my elders from that generation used the same phrasing.

hmmm

Others earlier in the thread have suggested the same thing. I've never heard of that phrasing used in that situation before. If true, then this would have been very obvious to viewers for a long time until the euphemism became less common.

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
Eryk Davis Ester #919187 12/25/16 11:49 AM
I'll contribute more later, but for now I'll just say that it's one of the movies that has profoundly shaped the way I think about the world.

Also, I think Mary Bailey is just a fantastic character. It occurs to me you could have a really interesting alternate version of the movie where it's her importance to the lives of those around her that is the focus. Think of what a mess George would be without her.

In retrospect, my feminist self finds the extreme melodrama around alt-universe Mary the "old maid" to be unwittingly hilarious. Sure, she might've kept her high standards & stayed single for life in that reality. But I'm much happier imagining her smacking alt-universe George in the head with an umbrella while yelling for the cops than the wilting flower we saw.

I've known my share of librarians who worked in... ah, difficult environments for years. They're made of stronger stuff than that.

Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on DeviantArt! Drop by and tell me that I sent you. *updated often!*
Eryk Davis Ester #919188 12/25/16 11:51 AM
Casablanca is incredible, though it *is* one movie which could benefit from the main female character being stronger.

That's the main reason I can't stomach it. Waste of a great performer, and when you think of the Second World War & so many women either performing acts of daring or just rolling up their sleeves & entering "man's world" to do what was needed...? It just compounds my annoyance. I can't watch it.

Lard Lad #919189 12/25/16 11:54 AM
Originally Posted by Paladin
Originally Posted by cleome50

hmmm

Others earlier in the thread have suggested the same thing. I've never heard of that phrasing used in that situation before. If true, then this would have been very obvious to viewers for a long time until the euphemism became less common.

This would explain why there was a real threat behind Potter's noting George's association with Violet. A married man who paid for a female friend's abortion or for her to "go away" and have the baby (who would then be discreetly put up for adoption)? No one would ever have believed he was just acting out of brotherly feeling. frown At least in Potter's eyes: career predator that he was.

Lard Lad #919235 12/26/16 03:57 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I still have issues with the conceit of last act because it's a bit of a cheat. George's life demonstrably had an impact on other people, if only because he saved his brother's life and ran one of the central institutions in town. I know part of the point is he's lost perspective on all of that, but I think it would have been much more powerful if he really WAS a hapless loser and then saw how much positive impact he had without being aware of it. For me it makes the difference between "everyone's life has meaning" and "George is a whiny drip".

Lard Lad #919251 12/26/16 08:12 AM
Well, I get really whiny when I'm depressed, too. And I think everyone hates me, even though they don't. So I'll cut him some slack for that.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,019
Posts1,044,950
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
Timothy
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
LispBOT # 143
LispBOT # 143
Wegion Wowwd
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star