Roll Call
0 members (), 42 Murran Spies, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Kill This Thread LII - The End of the Deck of Cards
by Ann Hebistand - 05/10/24 03:16 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/10/24 03:01 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:58 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:57 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:56 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:55 AM
Legion Trivia 6
by thoth lad - 05/09/24 03:34 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10
Re: FABLES (Spoilers Possible For the TPB Folks)
Pov #910296 09/22/16 06:56 AM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Hm. I forgot about Everafter. Probably because I never intend to get anything Fables-related that isn't written by Willingham. (Not saying that anything else is necessarily bad by definition, but it's a personal choice.) It sounds very peripheral in the Fables Universe, like the Dreaming book and other Sandman spin-offs of its kind did, so that doesn't help its case. I'll be watching reviews like yours carefully, though, FC.

Meanwhile, I've been thinking about Fanfic Lady's discovery of Fables and how long it's been since we had updates. What's up, Fick? hmmm

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
Pov #910308 09/22/16 08:18 AM
More Polyanna than Poison Ivy
Oh, my! eek

Oopsie.

I can't believe I allowed this to slip so far from the here and now that I left you (and possibly others) hanging, Lardy. blush

Apologies all around.

The short version is that, after what I felt was a too-matter-of-fact revelation of the Adversary's identity, my enthusiasm for "Fables" gradually started leaking away like air from a punctured tire. If I remember my post in this thread about that correctly, it didn't bother me that much at the time, but it definitely had a long-term effect on me sustaining my interest, even though the actual quality of the story & art didn't decrease appreciably at the point where I left off.

So I guess you could say I've been on an indefinite hiatus. I certainly haven't closed the door on resuming sometime sooner or later.

Funnily enough, I had a similar experience recently with another Vertigo ongoing, this one from one of my all-around fave writers, Mike Carey: "The Unwritten." I stopped right after the Moby Dick arc (Volume 5, was it?) I do intend to resume that one, too, at some unknown time, and comment accordingly in the Vertigo thread. What I will say about it is that while I don't think it's Carey's most satisfying work, some of the left-of-center done-in-one special issues are absolutely astounding -- I loved the secret-life-of-Rudyard-Kipling one, and one I loved *even more* was the one that parodied the whole A.A. Milne/Kenneth Grahame/Beatrix Potter school of writing, with the foul-mouthed renegade rabbit, and the little girl/the author's Mary Sue throwing him into the dark realm behind the basement door. Great stuff. nod

Read LEGIONS OF 7 WORLDS in the Bits forum:

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 1 (COMPLETED)

Retroboot (Earth-7.5) Arc 2 (WORK IN PROGRESS)

"Don't look for role models, girls, BE the role model."

- Legion World member HARBINGER
Pov #910318 09/22/16 10:33 AM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
I think the Adversary storyline is much more rewarding beyond just the reveal of his true identity. In the end I think Gepetto was a good choice, especially with Pinnochio being an established member of the cast and giving the Adversary some weight as a result. But I think there's plenty to enjoy (and also mourn) in the balance of the story.

On the contrary, I don't see how Bill could ever have considered Peter Pan in the context of this series. (The TV show Once Upon a Time eventually went there, though--to mixed results.) I have to believe that at the very least he had decided on Gepetto by the time the wooden soldiers appeared.

Pov #910319 09/22/16 10:54 AM
Thanks, Lardy. I definitely will come back to "Fables" at some point.

Re: Peter Pan, after I made my most recent post in this thread, I went back and re-read that earlier one I made about the Adversary. I felt then (and still feel today) that Peter Pan as the Adversary would have been wrong on so many levels that it moves beyond absurd into scary.

And my reaction to the Geppetto reveal really had nothing to do with *who* was the Adversary, just the way that Willingham seemed to execute the reveal with a shrug, in a very matter-of-fact way, which kind of took the wind out of my sails, though I wasn't conscious of that at first. Geppetto was quite a good choice for the series' arch-villain IMO, I just felt the way that Willingham wrote that whole reveal sequence and its aftermath was wonky.

Pov #910320 09/22/16 11:02 AM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Yeah, in retrospect the reveal wasn't all that dramatic and, in fact, fairly anti-climactic. I guess it was less noticeable for me because I was inadvertently spoiled by a solicitation I'd read for one of the later TPBs that flat-out named him as the Adversary. frown But luckily, there was much more to enjoy beyond that reveal.

Pov #910332 09/22/16 11:20 AM
Jeez, Lardy, that sucks. shake

I can't recall offhand any similar personal experience of accidentally seeing a mega-spoiler of those proportions, but I can certainly sympathize.

I have no doubt that the next few trades awaiting me sometime in the future will be immensely rewarding.

And, while The Unwritten arguably has less to offer than Fables, I'm sure there are still some gems to be found (I can't recommend highly enough those two stand-alone special issues I mentioned before.)

Fanfic Lady #910336 09/22/16 11:55 AM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Yeah, I was scrolling thru the TPB listings on Mycomicshop.com as I was trying to evaluate and price which TPBs I needed and there it was in the description for Vol. 9, "Sons of Empire":

Pinocchio suffers seriously divided loyalties between his father, the evil Adversary, and his fellow Fable refugees in New York.

frown

This reminds me, though, that I still have 2 Fables GNs by Willingham that I stll need to get and read: 1001 Nights of Snowfall, Werewolves of the Heartland and Peter & Max. Is that a complete list of the GNs, Fables fans?

Originally Posted by Fanfic Lady

And, while The Unwritten arguably has less to offer than Fables, I'm sure there are still some gems to be found (I can't recommend highly enough those two stand-alone special issues I mentioned before.)

I own and read Unwritten Vol. 1 a few years ago. I definitely enjoyed it overall and meant to continue at some point. I had a similar experience reading 100 Bullets Vols. 1 & 2, but both projects have fallen by the wayside in the midst of numerous other trade interests (documented in my Pile thread). I guess both were really good but not great and addictive to the point that I HAD to have the rest. But they are both there waiting for me when the mood eventually strikes.

Pov #910339 09/22/16 12:23 PM
I'm afraid I can't attest to the completeness of that Fables GN list, Lardy, but I will opine that 1001 Nights of Snowfall is delightful. That was actually the *first* Fables GN I ever read, and then mainly for some of the guest artists. After that, I read Vol. 1 of the ongoing, and, as I recounted before, I was underwhelmed, and I didn't give Fables another chance until after your insistence that Vol. 2 was much better had been stuck in my mind for quite a while. I'm still very grateful for that. smile

Originally Posted by Paladin
I own and read Unwritten Vol. 1 a few years ago. I definitely enjoyed it overall and meant to continue at some point. I had a similar experience reading 100 Bullets Vols. 1 & 2, but both projects have fallen by the wayside in the midst of numerous other trade interests (documented in my Pile thread). I guess both were really good but not great and addictive to the point that I HAD to have the rest. But they are both there waiting for me when the mood eventually strikes.

Yep, some series are just better enjoyed piecemeal. nod

Do you remember liking the Rudyard Kipling issue of The Unwritten which concludes Vol. 1?

Fanfic Lady #910341 09/22/16 12:34 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Originally Posted by Fanfic Lady

Do you remember liking the Rudyard Kipling issue of The Unwritten which concludes Vol. 1?

The memory is VERY vague, but yes, I do remember liking it and enjoying its offbeat flavour.

Pov #910352 09/22/16 02:20 PM
YAY! I'm glad to hear that, Lardy.

Sometimes I think "The Unwritten" would probably have been better as a tapestry of vaguely inter-connective done-in-ones.

Pov #910354 09/22/16 02:45 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
1001 was and is a terrific read. True fairy tale telling, I read it again and again. At some point, I more enjoyed Fairest than Fables. Maybe the smaller cast but it also gave some of the off-beat characters a shine, it grew the characters and made them more interesting to me.

Werewolves was fun mostly from the point I could easily pretend I was reading real history, the parts they weren't allowed to put in our Social Studies books.

Pov #910391 09/22/16 09:22 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
A comment on Unwritten: I felt they should have ended the series after the Moby Dick arc. The following issues struck me as meandering and repetitive. However, the final arc "Apocalypse" was much more satisfying. I suspect it's possible to skip the stories between Moby Dick and this final arc, since all the characters had been introduced by the end of Moby Dick.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
Pov #910394 09/22/16 10:23 PM
Hmmm...I'll keep that in mind, FC. Thanks.

Pov #920194 01/06/17 09:48 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
After a few issues, I decided to cut Everafter, primarily to free up funds for other books. It wasn't bad by any means, but it didn't capture my interest like Fables did and I found one of the main characters, Connor Wolf, pretty annoying. It also struck me as slower-paced than Fables.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
Fat Cramer #920198 01/07/17 02:43 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Originally Posted by Fat Cramer
A comment on Unwritten: I felt they should have ended the series after the Moby Dick arc. The following issues struck me as meandering and repetitive. However, the final arc "Apocalypse" was much more satisfying. I suspect it's possible to skip the stories between Moby Dick and this final arc, since all the characters had been introduced by the end of Moby Dick.
Agree 100%. I loved the series and I loved the Moby Dick arc. But once it ended, I never felt enthralled by the series anymore, as if it was adding unnecessary parts to what was almost perfect before. I actually cancelled it soon after without seeing it to the end.

That being said, it's definitely my top Mike Carey series of all time.

Pov #920199 01/07/17 02:59 AM
Bold Flavors
Bold Flavors
Regarding Fables: it was once my very favorite series and then in the final years my enthusiasm really waned. But then the finale of the series was so brilliant and so satisfying that it felt like the perfect gift for long time fans. As a result, I just can't bring myself to buy any additional Fables related spin-offs, as it ended on such a good note after so many doubts it would do so. I don't want to screw that feeling up smile.

Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,021
Posts1,045,245
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
JackMythos
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star