Roll Call
1 members (Gaseous Lad, Gaseous Lad, Gaseous Lad, Gaseous Lad, Gaseous Lad), 72 Murran Spies, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Gaseous Lad - 04/29/24 08:53 AM
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by Ann Hebistand - 04/29/24 04:44 AM
So, what are you listening to?
by Ann Hebistand - 04/29/24 04:38 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/29/24 02:18 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/29/24 02:18 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/29/24 02:15 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/29/24 02:13 AM
Legion of Super-Heroes #7 (2020) - Preview and Spoilers
by Gaseous Lad - 04/28/24 05:52 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 13 of 15 1 2 11 12 13 14 15
Re: What I found today at my LCS!
rickshaw1 #1026752 06/18/23 01:00 PM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
Okay, thanks, Rick. I think I'll pass. I'm not a Guy hater, but I'm tired of Fire and Ice defining themselves by him.

Still "Fickles" to my friends.
rickshaw1 #1026755 06/18/23 03:23 PM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Yeah, it's been a decade or two. Time to move forward on these things.

Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!
rickshaw1 #1026758 06/18/23 04:38 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
I'm still waiting for Black Canary to not be defined by Green Arrow.

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
rickshaw1 #1026761 06/18/23 04:45 PM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
Point well taken, Thoth.

I wasn't a fan of Birds of Prey, but it could be argued that that series did free Black Canary from being defined by Green Arrow.

Fire and Ice have never had anything like Birds of Prey.

rickshaw1 #1026770 06/18/23 11:58 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I pretty much agree with you about the Power Girl special Rick. She has been done so much better. There is an interesting commentary at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kn2exPAI_ek

rickshaw1 #1026944 06/22/23 07:59 PM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
hey Stile. I clicked the link. It was interesting. And a lot of it was in line with my thinking...I think. Lotsa big words and motiffs but I believe we were really on the same page <ahem> for the most part.

I guess I'm just old. I read comics for fun and adventure. I guess I'm just to old, set in my ways, and direct for today's storytelling. Used to be, it was see a job, figure out how to do the job, then do the job. Now it seems to be more about how people feel about if a job should even be done at all.

I didn't feel the first bit of tension with the story. There was no wonder at how they would prevail. Or even if they would prevail. It was just a trip to the therapy couch, whilst she got in touch with her touchy feelings. This didn't read like Power Girl. It read like graspy, clingy, need affirmation girl. In real life, someone somewhere would be saying "just kill her and put her out of my misery!"

Like I say, I'm old. I'm not the target audience anymore.

Guess I'll stick with all my old backissues if that's how she's gonna be from now own.

Something pithy!
rickshaw1 #1026982 06/23/23 08:22 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Let's hope this was one of those many "experimental enhancements" to characters that just doesn't stick and is soon forgotten.

rickshaw1 #1027056 06/26/23 07:19 AM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Okay, quiet little haul this week.

First up, 3 new books. Superboy 3, Titans 2, and Nightwing 105. Superboy3, nice little but heavily foreshadowed twist. Titans 2, Ms. Scott's artwork is as gorgeous as ever, but the writing was only average. Nightwing 105. Hmmmmm. The art is fine, do doubt, and it really is clean, which I've always had a fondness for. But the writing on Nightwing lately is...forgettable. I'm sorry, but it doesn't grab. I keep waiting for something to happen, some real fun, excitement, adventure. Instead, it's perfect boy does perfect things, will everyone around him feels perfect for him. He's become the ultimate wish fulfillment mary sue character in his own book, if that makes sense...? I know, it's only my review, how I'm seeing things. There's a lot more feelings and emotion and modern day writing style. And I can't help but look back at Roy Thomas on All-Star and think that he did more in four issues than I've seen in the last twelve of nightwing. Probably not fair, not objectively true according to other's metrics...but that's the way it comes across to me. I never once think..."Oh damn, that's gonna hurt, this shit's gettin' good."

It's perfect. And perfect is...boring.

New Teen Titans 15. Replacement comic, Marv and George with titans and Robotman.

Action Comics 588. Supes, Katar and Shayera. I know, with all the retcons, even I, a hawkman fan,don't really know which one this is. But it was such a cheat. They didn't wrap up the Shadow War in Hawkman's book,or even a special. They dump it in a teamup with Supes.

And finally, Justice League 187, 218, 241, 242, 243, and 257. Honestly I haven't read them yet. Looking forward to it.

Something pithy!
rickshaw1 #1027068 06/26/23 09:56 AM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
And Mr Thomas would have more text in a single issue, than a modern one has in a year. You always got your money's worth with All-Star Squadron. smile

New Teen Titans against The Brotherhood of Evil, as the Doom Patrol is avenged? I was thrilled when I saw those ones in the shop.

An interesting range of JLA issues in there, a couple not by Conway. I think 257 was DeMatteis taking over, before the last storyline.

I remember the Hawks in that Action comic, if it's Byrne on the art.

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
rickshaw1 #1027083 06/26/23 12:21 PM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Not sure about the JLA stuff, wasn't following it back then, so this is new to me.

Teen Titans, yup. It was the beginning of real crossover stuff in DC for me. There had been stuff over the years, but it wasn't like the top guys doing a guest shot in one of the big seven. It was more like weird meets bug nuts unhinged on the fringe. Loved itl

Yes, that was the wrap up of the Shadow war, and byrne did the story and art. It may have been meant to increase sales on the Hawk book, but I hated that it wasn't in their book.

Something pithy!
rickshaw1 #1027089 06/26/23 12:35 PM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
It's possible that the loose ends were resolved in a low key fashion in order to clear the path for the Hawkworld miniseries (my two cents, the miniseries is a near masterpiece, but the ongoing went off the rails even before the first issue was written or drawn, due to DC editorial stupidly forbidding the creators from setting the ongoing during the distant past.)

rickshaw1 #1027106 06/26/23 06:18 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
At the time of that Action Comics Hawkman crossover story, I was following Superman so for me it was interesting (if a little confusing) to see what the Hawks were up to. I never thought of it form the Hawk side but I can sure see why you would be upset that the climactic battle of the war would appear in a different comic.

rickshaw1 #1027535 07/08/23 07:47 PM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
So, today was minor but at the same time very significant and very cool.

To start off with, Green Lantern 1 and 2. The continuing story of radar lov....um, Hall Jordan. It's Hal, so, yeah, I gotta buy. But at the same time, while the art was great, the story seemed....light. As in, lots of filler but not a lot of action.

Shazam 1 and 2. Waid's new take seems light yet another take off of the movies, which, while fun, are not the books.

And....yes yes yes, Adventure Comics 345 Featuring Superboy and the Legion of Super-heroes. MEL gets blasted, and in the actual book, grows vastly overweight, which means an ass blast ain't far behind. All puns intended.

An original for only $12 in very good shape other than a couple pages folded over in the wrong spot. But, since I'm a reader and not a grading collector, works for me. Loved it.

Oh, and ...not while comics...Merriam-Webster's Dictionary of LAW. cause I've felt I've let my mind get a little sloppy the last couple of years.

Last edited by rickshaw1; 07/08/23 07:49 PM.

Something pithy!
rickshaw1 #1027555 07/09/23 08:56 AM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
Oh my gods, Rick.

The second half of The Super Stalag of Space, in perfectly readable shape, for only 12 dollars. Congratulations!

These days, that storyline may well be my favorite of the Adventure Era tales.

And how's this for synchronicity? I was doing a marathon re-read of the Adventure Era just days ago, and after I finished that very issue, I told myself, gotta stop right here. It's just that good!

rickshaw1 #1027561 07/09/23 11:34 AM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Hey Ann. Man, I think I fell into it with that one as well. Never had the story before, this is my first time reading it as well as having it. It was a blast. Some snarky brainy stuff, and the girls make the day. That worked for me. As much as it sometimes seemed slightly misogynistic, when you read through those old legion, usually the girls come up with a way to save the day and make the guys eat their words.

I loved it.

And I'm glad you enjoyed hearing about my little find. It tickled me too.

Something pithy!
rickshaw1 #1027562 07/09/23 11:37 AM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
And I have to thank my LCS, Legends in Florence, SC. These guys are always on the lookout for things I might like and they know I am only an affordable buyer. They do great. And I think the sell online as well. Do a lot of toys and statues as well.

Something pithy!
rickshaw1 #1028055 07/22/23 11:27 AM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Another small haul week, and I haven't read any of them yet, so here we go...

World's Finest: Teen Titans #1. Looks like the Original crew, but I see Bumble Bee on the cover, and since I think she's been criminally wasted as a character, I'm glad to see it.
Unstoppable Doom Patrol #4. Listen, I love the DPatrol. I haven't loved all the incarnations, and it seems that a few were trying to be weird a little to hard, but this seems likable so far.
Titan's United: Bloodpact #1. Seems to be a lot of titans in my pull.
Dawn of DC Superboy #4. So far, not bad. Seems like a throwback to the Ravers, but I guess that phraze is outta date, so they just went with man of tomorrow. Still seems like they jettisoned a lot of the character growth, and the bat/super/wonder families are frankly getting watered down with waaaaay too many characters to me, but that's just the way I see it.

Now, for the good stuff. Only two Silver age books, and neither of them Legion, but one of my favorite books. Justice League of America #34, The Deadly Dreams of Doctor Destiny. Hawkman's on the cover, hope he actually plays a part in the story. They featured him as just a cover fill far too many times.
And Justice League of America #103, A Stranger Walks Amoung Us. Always loved it when Phanty showed up, and again, Hawkman is on the cover.

Whelp, that's it. Gotta head back to shower repairs. <sigh> <choke>

Something pithy!
rickshaw1 #1028065 07/22/23 03:08 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Two unusual JLA tales there Rick. Let us know what you think.

Oh there was a reason why DC couldn't get Hawkmsn off the cover and into the story.
His wings kept getting stuck in the teleporter tube.

smile

Oh look, it's the Phantom Stranger arriving to take me far, far away...

rickshaw1 #1028070 07/22/23 05:36 PM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
well, that WAS horrible, but that's just my... 'pinion!

Something pithy!
rickshaw1 #1028071 07/22/23 06:26 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
smile

Does that 'pinion apply to the one where Hawkmsn was wearing Aqua-mittens or that sinking feeling you get when a comic takes you anywhere near a parade in Rutland? Or both?

rickshaw1 #1028496 08/05/23 01:55 PM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
So, another light haul this week, mostly new stuff.

Still working on Titans United, issue #2.

Green Lantern #2, haven't gotten into it yet.

Night Terrors, got GL, Nightwing, and Flash.

JSA #5, slooooow moving story, hoping it picks up.

But now, for the pieces of resistance.

Manhunter #1. But,don't be fooled. This is, according to what we found because I haven't broken it open yet, the compilation of the Goodwin and Simonson backups from Detective Comics. I actually had that first backup in the original Detective, but never saw any after that. Didn't know this compilation existed, but...DAMN!

And the second piece...DC Comics Presents #43. Superman and the Legion of Super-heroes vs. Mongul. Never had this before, and it's silver/bronze age goodness.

They have a couple of Adventure's with the Legion on the wall, the Subs taking on the Legion and the Superboy/Bizarro Superboy cover, but at $60/80 a piece, I just can't afford them.

All in all, pretty good in my mind.

Something pithy!
rickshaw1 #1028500 08/05/23 05:07 PM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Wow. Okay. So...

The Manhunter collected. Talk about a slam bang action ride, it certainly was. Now, don't get me wrong. It was excellent for it's time. And it still holds up great to this day. yes, the writing style is a bit dated, but...all the elements are still there of a great pulp story. Funnily enough, the only thing I found offputting...was the inclusion of Batman. I get that it was a back up in his book, and that people most likely wanted to see them team up, but honestly, I thought it wasn't necessary because the work, the care, the excitement, the storytelling and the art...frankly did not NEED batman. It set the comic in the superhero realm when it didn't need it.

But, other than that, and let me be clear here, miniscule quibble, honestly, I get WHY it was so award winning.

Goodwin was at his highest form, and Simonson...his faces, the mobility of the page and the rush of the story...DAMN!

And to think, this was basically a gift to me from the guys at the book store because they weren't sure if it was the complete collection or not. I would have happily paid for it.

And I think the sheer finite-ness of the story is what made it work so well.

Brava to all involved.

Something pithy!
rickshaw1 #1028504 08/05/23 07:36 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Great pickup Ric. I really liked that story when I read the early parts in B&W reprints decades ago and enjoyed seeing the resolution of it in the collection in more recent years. I get what you said abut including Batman. This is one of those great mystery stories that have a satisfying conclusion and yet the mystery itself was the best part. Great stuff and worth the awards.

rickshaw1 #1028522 08/06/23 02:03 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
I only read the Manhunter stories a few years back, having always heard good things about it. And it doesn;t take long to realise why. Excellent find Rick.

rickshaw1 #1028918 08/17/23 04:55 AM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
Originally Posted by rickshaw1
But now, for the pieces of resistance.

Manhunter #1. But,don't be fooled. This is, according to what we found because I haven't broken it open yet, the compilation of the Goodwin and Simonson backups from Detective Comics. I actually had that first backup in the original Detective, but never saw any after that. Didn't know this compilation existed, but...DAMN!

And the second piece...DC Comics Presents #43. Superman and the Legion of Super-heroes vs. Mongul. Never had this before, and it's silver/bronze age goodness.

I can't really add much to the comments on Goodwin/Simonson Manhunter except to say that I love it as well.

DCCP 43 is one of my favorite issues of one of the best team-up series that ever was. It was a prelude of sorts to Levitz Legion Mark 2, coming out as it did right before LSH 284. Add to that a typically great Brian Bolland cover, and what I consider some of Curt Swan's best Legion artwork -- better even than a lot of his Adventure stories -- and we've got ourselves an all-around winner!

Congratulations on finding two rare treasures in the same trip, Rick!

Page 13 of 15 1 2 11 12 13 14 15

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,020
Posts1,044,992
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Kid Metal \m/
Kid Metal \m/
Kansas City