Roll Call
1 members (Eryk Davis Ester, Eryk Davis Ester), 7 Murran Spies, and 30 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
So, what are you listening to?
by Eryk Davis Ester - 04/25/24 08:03 PM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Legion Tracker - 04/25/24 06:56 PM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Gaseous Lad - 04/25/24 01:27 PM
DC/Marvel Crossovers to be collected in 2024
by Ann Hebistand - 04/25/24 08:21 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by idle - 04/25/24 05:38 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/25/24 12:32 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/24/24 03:52 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: Re-reading the Legion: Archives Volume 19
Fat Cramer #943049 01/16/18 12:22 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
LoSH 308

Its an all action cover. The Legionnaires are targets of a large number of guns (well placed around the periphery). Going by Shady and Tinya’s expressions, they may have been taken by surprise. But Lar and Jo are sorting it out by destroying the attackers in a hail of metal. A nice touch, by an artists who knows is characters, is that Lar can just fly straight through the attack, while Jo is seen pausing, switching between strength and invulnerability. Having said all that, it’s not a cover that leaps out at me. I think it’s down to Giffen’s changed art style having simpler lines. Nothing wrong with that, but it does give an indication that the changing style is already moving away from what I had preferred.

The splash page of the Prophet, arms wide, giving a warning to Khundia follows a page of reaction to his arrival last issue. He warns them of an approaching danger (The Omen), and the need to fight together to destroy it. Instead, he’s managed to wipe out a lot of Khundians and hallucinates that the Legionnaires are demons sent by that danger (there shapes are similar to the cover of last issue).

There’s something about the scene that doesn’t work. Even taking into account the Prophet’s difficulties with reality. He didn’t see the Khunds as demons, sent by the Omen. But the Legionnaires conveniently are. The Prophet destroyed a Khundian battle fleet last issue, but in this scene, he’s controlling the Khundian arsenal against the Legionnaires. Why not just control the battle fleet from last issue?

With so much firepower, and a Prophet to confront, I see the reasoning for Levitz dropping Lar and Jo into last issue. Although it was a bit of a let down, as I’d been enjoying Jacques and Tinya, their presence allows the action to be arrived at quicker for this issue.

In a reprise of the team dealing individually with the ships last issue, Tinya Shady and Brin do so against the Khunds here. Although it fits his powers not to be seen, Jacques is nowhere to be found. This time, I’m left wondering how Shady’s powers are avoiding all the blaster fire. The missiles are one thing, but she’s Sitting Duck Lass up there.

Another misstep is the Prophet suddenly deciding that even the Legionnaires “shall listen to my warnings.” But they were demons sent by the Omen a moment ago.

Jacques is indeed there, and he doesn’t escape the three pages of back story on the Prophet as the Legion are trapped. smile

One thing I do like about the Prophet, is that he was delusional when he was human too. He’s managed to take those failings through the changes he’s undergone. Like so many spiritual leaders, he’s got more flaws than anyone else around him. His ego is matched by his pride. His need to tell someone that he was aware of news first; His fake worthiness at receiving a “special” invitation.

Both are dwarfed by his inflated self-importance. He really believes that it was his absence that resulted in the death of the others on Trewsk. Therefore, that it was his presence that was protecting them.
The unusual star activity the station was recording, has led to a burst of energy. A shoal of space creatures arrives to bask in the radiation, even as it kills the human watches. This was a well written addition to the scene, and adds an additional layer of perspective to the events.

The creatures received strength from the energy. A humanoid shape, picked up by the Prophet’s instruments seems to be quite happy passively observing a natural occurrence. There’s no indication, at this stage, that the being caused the incident.

On the other hand, the surviving Prophet sees things very differently. A self-professed lack of courage, but possibly also the thought of the loss of status (his ego has just crashed), at the sight of the destroyed station, results in a suicide attempt.

The passive being intervenes, saves him, and in doing so transforms him. Again, it’s the Prophets’ reaction to this, based on his flaws, that propels the story. There’s an irony in a man who teaches and believes in something infinite, being completely unable to deal with contact with anything remotely powerful. His loss of ego is complete. Despite having saved him, the being, must be a threat to everything. As it doesn’t fit into his view of self-importance, the being [/i]must[/i] be about to doom the universe.

If anything, it’s the self-titled Prophet who has provoked a response from the being, and is now leading it across the galaxy. Let’s hope it has a better personality.

I thought that the origin of the Prophet had parallels with the origin of Pulsar Stargrave. Investigations into solar activity; transformation by alien entities at a sun; maniacal rantings and one-note plans in their new form. As the Infinite Man was for the Trapper, I wonder if The Prophet was ever supposed to be a reshaping of Pulsar. Particularly since Stargrave fell between a number of writers.

Lar conveniently manages to break free just as the flashback ends. “…whatever that spell was that you were using to bind us, it can’t hold me long. I guess it wasn’t a spell at all, as I thought Daxamites had no invulnerability against magic. I’d have pegged Jacques teleport, Tinya dimension shift or Shady’s slightly supernatural origins/ darkness power to get out before Lar.

Lar gives the Prophet a huge punch, only to find him unscathed. In turn Lar is blasted back through some buildings. It’s a well-drawn page full of raw power. However, it’s another set up, showcasing the Legion’s strongest member only because there’s a bigger impact when Plot Powers slap him down. It already happened just before the backstory. Would it have been better to have this as the first time Lar appeared to help his colleagues. If you had to have him thumped at all.

Having battered Lar, the Prophet rants about the arrival of The Omen again. He did this at the end of last issue, so the main plot hasn’t really moved on. The Omen is presumably a bit closer, although we’ve not seen him and he could arrive anytime Levitz wanted him to. The Prophet demands that the beings on Khundia destroy the Omen, while not explaining anything and kicking them around when they approach.

Elsewhere on Khundia, we have the diplomatic mission. Another six Legionnaires, who are all told to sit tight. Normally they would have joined their colleagues by the end of this issue. Here, due to the Khundian paranoia that the Legion are part of the attack against their world, they are told, in no uncertain terms, not to interfere. Dreamy is concerned about her hair. Seemingly superficial, but you never know what her powers are telling her. Blok is clumsy and the others have a few reaction shots. No telepathy from Imra and Legion espionage must be exceptionally sneaky… as there doesn’t seem to be any of it.

A developing subplot sees Dawnstar’s quest for a life partner continue. She’s faced with beautiful galactic scenery, but no closer to her goal. There seems to be some handy planned stages for this sort of quest. If Dawny doesn’t bump into anyone special on the general tour, she can go to her naming place to find one. It doesn’t say if there’s any special status attached finding a partner during either one.

Dawny: Um… this is Ralph. He wasn’t on the general tour, or at the naming place. But bumping into that garbage hauler on the way back sure paid off, didn’t it?! Mom?

Dawny is seen again on the last page. Using Omni-Perv, the Galaxies Best (and Creepiest) PeekTek, Wildfire checks up on a few characters. Brainy continues looking into Danielle Foccart’s case with a teaser for an upcoming event. We get to see Vi recover. I’d forgotten this panel, and was under the impression she was pretty much ignored until her return. Not so, as we had a mention of her in an earlier issue too. there’s a lead in to the issue’s second story and we see Mysa on Takron Galtos with Cham. I wonder how you design Magic resistant cells?

Giffen would have Mordru use Omni-Perv in v4 to give away details of what loads of Legionnaires were up to without having to go to the bother of building it properly into the story. It was a page I really didn’t care for. But it seems, it wasn’t all his idea smile

In summary, the main plot didn’t move forward an inch. The Element Lad as write in leader that also repeated itself. The story we got was flawed as the Prophet conveniently forgot he was trying to kill the Legion so he could tell them his origin. Oh, and the Prophet is really trying to save everyone he keeps trying to kill. We still have no explanation of how the Prophet got separated from The Omen. It might still be given, but this holding issue would have been a good place to have it.

Mon-El is set up for a thump to show off how powerful our Plot Powered villain is and six Legionnaires are benched ahead of a future chapter. As the Prophet’s origins relate to a star, I wonder if Dirk, in particular, is only along due to a plot requirement.

Giffen’s use of a single background image overlaid by other panels continues this issue on the first page. However, other uses of it combine a larger background panel, interlinked with smaller, overlapping panels, such as pages 4 and 10. Ambassador Relnic’s head being used for a flashback is a nice design, as is the background of Dawny’s quest also serving for her smaller panel on the same page.

As discussed before, Levitz uses every pause in one scene, to show us what’s going on elsewhere. But there have been a couple of recent occurrences where it just interferes with the pacing. This issue has another example. If the six diplomatic Legionnaires are going to do nothing, then they could be doing nothing in reaction to the action later in the issue. It’s more pronounced here as that plot leads to a further Dawny subplot, rather than returning to the main action. At least the Dawny one transitioned nicely into the main plot.

Giffen’s art moves further away from what it was even an issue ago. Funnily enough, the trademark eye close ups he couldn’t help doing in this period really show the transition of the Prophet from Human into Silver Surfer well smile. Page layouts veer from splash pages into some with a dozen plus panels. As good, and interesting, as some of the techniques are, there’s some jarring transitions that result in an issue that feels inconsistent.

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Fat Cramer #943050 01/16/18 01:13 PM
R
Substitute
Substitute
R
Reading these comments, I'm reminded that I've always assumed Omen was Levitz's reaction to the Beyonder, but a quick Google search reveals Legion 308 had a February 1984 cover date and Secret Wars 1 a May 1984 one. Funny how memory works.

Fat Cramer #943061 01/16/18 04:18 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
I was thinking of the Beyonder as I typed away for #207. Actually, I was thinking more of the Beyonder of Secret Wars II. That's for a scene that must be in an upcoming issue. But not much concerning him happens in the issue. smile

I had Secret Wars as after this one. But I've also read Amazing Heroes preview issues, where they give away plots for months ahead. So it all merges together. smile

A group of teleported heroes vs a group of teleported heroes fighting for their lives on a world that's a combination of feudal and high technology.... Secret Wars?... or the opening story in the Baxter volume? smile

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Fat Cramer #943068 01/16/18 06:06 PM
Not much between despair and ecstacy
308:

Cramey and thoth’s reviews were much more fun to read than the actual issue. Cramey pointed out the endless repetition of themes and character bits. Thoth did a brilliant analysis of the Prophet’s ego trip. These are things I actually *learned* in reading the reviews. The issue itself imparted far fewer lessons—except, perhaps, what not to if your artist needs time off. smile

As I may have mentioned before, I was raised Catholic, so much of the Prophet’s way of viewing events rings true (at least in the form of the religion I was taught). He knows himself very well and knows he was prideful in accepting a speaking engagement. It makes sense, then, that he interprets the destruction of Trewsk as a result of that sin.

Of course his reasoning is skewed—clergy members accept speaking engagements all the time—but what else is one to do with the enormity of the destruction the Prophet witnessed—of the death his entire “flock”? As I mentioned in a previous post, people create narratives to help us make sense of our lives. This “sense making,” according to Haidt, is necessary for our health and happiness. Another author I’m reading, Krista Tippett, calls these “healing stories.” But there is also an opposite of a healing story, as the Prophet illustrates. He now sees himself as warning the universe about the coming of an even bigger threat. But this role entitles him to reduce Khundian soldiers to dust and to decimate their fleet. Hey, biblical prophets also warned of great calamities. He's just taking the direct approach.

Much of this story has potential insofar as the Prophet’s self-serving and insular view of events could conflict with the Legionnaires’ more secular understandings (e.g., there’s an enormous threat that must be stopped). But the chance to explore this conflict of world views is cut short by the chapter’s abbreviated length and a bunch of the usual battle scenes (such as Mon-El being taken out once again to show how powerful our villain is). Nothing is really advanced in this story or in the various subplots.

The backup story also starts off with an interesting promise but doesn’t travel far in exploring it. The original “Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner” was a brilliant film about culture clashes. This story pays lip service to such clashes in how Durlans are perceived, but nothing is really accomplished and no one grows. The punchline comes down to Marte Allon presenting her new daughter-in-law with a gift she had ordered a month ago—when she first learned through her connections that Gim had married. The question remains as to whether or not Marte learned her son had married a Durlan. It would have been an interesting twist if the gift had been an Imskian birthstone!

Don’t judge people by appearances: this appears to be the moral of the story, but it’s Gim who learns the lesson after prejudging his mother’s reaction. (Not that she gave him much room to doubt since the gift was delivered by SP officers—suggesting official business!) So the whole idea of not prejudging Durlans is turned around into “Don’t prejudge your mother.” Nice, but it sidesteps the cultural conflicts that could have been explored.

Alas, I’m expecting too much from a comic book, it seems. smile But Levitz and Giffen set the bar very high on their earlier efforts. It’s hard to accept a less-than-adequate continuation of their ideas.

Check out my new Power Club website!

The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that
Rob-Em #943069 01/16/18 06:08 PM
Originally Posted by Rob-Em
Reading these comments, I'm reminded that I've always assumed Omen was Levitz's reaction to the Beyonder, but a quick Google search reveals Legion 308 had a February 1984 cover date and Secret Wars 1 a May 1984 one. Funny how memory works.

interesting idea. Even though Secret Wars came later, various Marvel and DC creators were known to socialize with each other. Maybe they kept tabs on what each other was doing.

He Who Wanders #943087 01/17/18 06:15 AM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
Originally Posted by He Who Wanders
Originally Posted by Ann Hebistand
I think the basic concept, with its Very-Levitz combination of Metaphysics 101 and Marvel-style melodrama, was all Levitz's . . .

Love the description! smile

Thank you, kind sir. I do my best. smile

I think it's fine for a writer to challenge himself or herself by working outside their comfort zone (in Levitz's case, no-nonsense space-opera potboilers such as the excellent 34-page done-in-one Fatal Five story he did in the 70s with Michael Netzer & James Sherman,) but a really good editor would, in my opinion, bluntly tell the writer, "This just isn't very good. I think you should give yourself a different kind of challenge."

Still "Fickles" to my friends.
Fat Cramer #943088 01/17/18 06:40 AM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Originally Posted by Cramer
…Jacques was with them. Forgotten by the artist? Invisible, of course. Some exposition here, such as “Jacques, stay invisible for defensive purposes” would have solved this problem.

Poor guy. Forgotten by the creative team. It won’t be long before he’s imagining deceased fantasy women and wanting to spend time with them. Tinya even pointed out that he was beginning to sound like Lyle. smile

Prophet’s monologue/backstory is hard to follow, even for a comic book, but I was willing to roll with the idea of some supreme being transforming him.

I just thought it was a bit of an excessive info dump. But then, this is one of those stories that you could go back and re-edit to make it a lot smoother and coherent.

Overall, the flaws in the Prophet, and being able to see where his distorted views come from makes him an interesting character. The story around him isn’t making it as good an introduction as it could have been.

However, I’m still not clear if he’s been sent with a message from Omen, or is expressing his own fears.

Case in point. Where is the Omen? Off with Jacques somewhere for a while?

It’s all very repetitive. Legionnaires attack, get knocked down, Prophet repeats his “doom is coming” message.

Yeah, it was really a holding issue. I’m sure Levitz wanted something a lot better form this one, and I think that’s hinted at or just admitted in later letter cols.

Relnic puts his team of Legionnaires in lock-down, so they’re pretty much out of the picture for this issue. Nura complains about her hair (again; it’s either hair or nails).

Was it Imra who said she was too much? It’s Nura’s sense of ease that comes across to me. Although her words are superficial, I think it’s Levitz shorthand for her confidence that the obstacles they face can be overcome.

The Star Boy spotlight got me to look back at his earlier appearances. From Nura’s first appearance, it seemed that her powers don’t work in the way we would so often see later. In that, she doesn’t have to pass out when she gets her visions. I’ll need to dig it out again. My point being that her abilities may be fairly active, and that they affect her personality and approach to the world around her.

Thom complains about Nura. Again. Wildfire snoops on other Legionnaires via the Monitor Board and loses his cool when he sees Dawnstar. Again.

Having everything in the book go nowhere, reminds me that there was an issue/ annual in the GDS that felt the same. The Shadow Mockery kept getting up to fight etc. In that instance, it was uncertainty over the scheduling of the annual. With the changes surrounding Giffen, I guess it shouldn’t be a surprise to see a similar outcome here.

Dawnstar gets a full page full of pretty colours, just to let us know that she’s still looking for Mr. Right.

I got all nostalgic for ‘70s Legion from that page. The wonders of the galaxy. I put on my Mayavale medallion and reached for a Lotus fruit… smile

Mysa and Cham are testing new high-security cells on Takron-Galtos, which may or may not be a new plot.

I can’t recall the outcome of this one. I keep thinking of Validus trying to bust out.

I’ve not read the back up yet, so will comment later…

Originally Posted by HWW
He knows himself very well and knows he was prideful in accepting a speaking engagement. It makes sense, then, that he interprets the destruction of Trewsk as a result of that sin.

It’s that contradiction in believing in something that is unknowable and yet being so certain of his interpretation of it, that I think has a lot to do with the Prophet’s breakdown. His, almost smug, comfort in his duties (as seen when talking to Jacques’ friend) and the structure of the organisation he’s being honoured by aren’t really compatible with actually encountering something he perceives as closer to the heart of the myths his religion may be founded on. Based on what we’ve seen of his previous life, his coping mechanisms have solid foundations in the story.

As you said HWW “what else is one to do with the enormity of the destruction the Prophet witnessed—of the death his entire “flock”?”

That encounter, with a broader universe, destroys the constructs of his life so much that there’s even a visual change into someone who may represent a different religion entirely. There’s a zealotry about his new form that has parallels in various founders of cults or churches in our times. As HWW says, it’s “sense making” along one outcome that’s started off as not being one of the healing stories. Of course, everything’s a journey so that could change.

All of which makes him an interesting character. If only the plot had paced the exploration of it better.

My hypocrite alarm (located on my right shoulder) tells me that I’ve just praised the solid foundation of the Prophet’s backstory while moaning about the info dump. smile But I mean that you could have the same information provided, just spread across the story.

It’s also (annoying alarm) telling me that it’s the very isolation of the Omen from the key events, that’s allowing me to have a clearer focus on the Prophet and his motivations. I still think we should have seen him split form the Omen, to show why they’re not together.

Originally Posted by HWW
Much of this story has potential insofar as the Prophet’s self-serving and insular view of events could conflict with the Legionnaires’ more secular understandings (e.g., there’s an enormous threat that must be stopped).

Even a hint of that through some of the Legionnaires would have added more depth. Good shout HWW.

And I’ll comment on the back up once I’ve read it…

Fat Cramer #943177 01/19/18 04:59 AM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Originally Posted by thoth
The splash page of the Prophet, arms wide, giving a warning to Khundia follows a page of reaction to his arrival last issue. He warns them of an approaching danger (The Omen), and the need to fight together to destroy it. Instead, he's managed to wipe out a lot of Khundians and hallucinates that the Legionnaires are demons sent by that danger (there shapes are similar to the cover of last issue).

There's something about the scene that doesn't work. Even taking into account the Prophet's difficulties with reality. He didn't see the Khunds as demons, sent by the Omen. But the Legionnaires conveniently are. The Prophet destroyed a Khundian battle fleet last issue, but in this scene, he's controlling the Khundian arsenal against the Legionnaires. Why not just control the battle fleet from last issue?

We really don’t know what his motivations are. It’s a confusing message for the reader; I don’t know tif it’s meant to be to keep the suspense up.

One thing I do like about the Prophet, is that he was delusional when he was human too. He's managed to take those failings through the changes he's undergone. Like so many spiritual leaders, he's got more flaws than anyone else around him. His ego is matched by his pride. His need to tell someone that he was aware of news first; His fake worthiness at receiving a 'special' invitation.

Both are dwarfed by his inflated self-importance. He really believes that it was his absence that resulted in the death of the others on Trewsk. Therefore, that it was his presence that was protecting them.

I hadn’t thought of it this way before reading your and HWW’s comments, but it’s more a story about Prophet than Omen. It could have been a great character study of a religious man having everything taken from him – i.e. Job – but it wanders around the question and adds the confusion of both Omen (an unknown at this point) and the Khund’s distrust of the Legion.

The unusual star activity the station was recording, has led to a burst of energy. A shoal of space creatures arrives to bask in the radiation, even as it kills the human watches. This was a well written addition to the scene, and adds an additional layer of perspective to the events.

The creatures received strength from the energy. A humanoid shape, picked up by the Prophet's instruments seems to be quite happy passively observing a natural occurrence. There's no indication, at this stage, that the being caused the incident.

It gets lost in the monologue, IMO, but it’s a good illustration of the random event versus will of a divine being running the universe.

On the other hand, the surviving Prophet sees things very differently. A self-professed lack of courage, but possibly also the thought of the loss of status (his ego has just crashed), at the sight of the destroyed station, results in a suicide attempt.

O ye of little faith.... but this reminds me of that think tank report from the 60s (or 70s?) that proof of extraterrestial life would likely cause widespread religious turmoil. To give Prophet some credit, though, he’s seen his family and home obliterated, which would unhinge anybody.

The passive being intervenes, saves him, and in doing so transforms him. Again, it's the Prophets' reaction to this, based on his flaws, that propels the story. There's an irony in a man who teaches and believes in something infinite, being completely unable to deal with contact with anything remotely powerful. His loss of ego is complete. Despite having saved him, the being, must be a threat to everything. As it doesn't fit into his view of self-importance, the being [/i]must[/i] be about to doom the universe.

It wasn’t clear to me at this point whether Omen was saving him for some evil purpose or to warn of some doom, and if that doom was Omen or something else. Of course, we have been given some clues that Prophet is perhaps not so much manipulated as off his rocker (the hallucinations, destroying the Khundian fleet which could fight an approaching enemy), which I didn’t really pick up on.

I thought that the origin of the Prophet had parallels with the origin of Pulsar Stargrave. Investigations into solar activity; transformation by alien entities at a sun; maniacal rantings and one-note plans in their new form. As the Infinite Man was for the Trapper, I wonder if The Prophet was ever supposed to be a reshaping of Pulsar. Particularly since Stargrave fell between a number of writers.

Interesting idea. Wouldn’t surprise me if Stargrave influenced the creation of this character.

Lar conveniently manages to break free just as the flashback ends. ''whatever that spell was that you were using to bind us, it can't hold me long. I guess it wasn't a spell at all, as I thought Daxamites had no invulnerability against magic. I'd have pegged Jacques teleport, Tinya dimension shift or Shady's slightly supernatural origins/ darkness power to get out before Lar.

Good point, especially since he just got bashed. I guess he has to be more powerful than the rest of them, only to get slammed again. How the mighty have fallen (I’m getting into prophet-speak myself).

As discussed before, Levitz uses every pause in one scene, to show us what's going on elsewhere. But there have been a couple of recent occurrences where it just interferes with the pacing. This issue has another example. If the six diplomatic Legionnaires are going to do nothing, then they could be doing nothing in reaction to the action later in the issue.

Right. Imra could have communicated telepathically with the team facing Prophet to find out what’s going on.

Originally Posted by HWW
As I may have mentioned before, I was raised Catholic, so much of the Prophet's way of viewing events rings true (at least in the form of the religion I was taught). He knows himself very well and knows he was prideful in accepting a speaking engagement. It makes sense, then, that he interprets the destruction of Trewsk as a result of that sin.

Of course his reasoning is skewed - clergy members accept speaking engagements all the time - but what else is one to do with the enormity of the destruction the Prophet witnessed - of the death his entire 'flock'? As I mentioned in a previous post, people create narratives to help us make sense of our lives. This 'sense making,' according to Haidt, is necessary for our health and happiness. Another author I'm reading, Krista Tippett, calls these 'healing stories.' But there is also an opposite of a healing story, as the Prophet illustrates. He now sees himself as warning the universe about the coming of an even bigger threat. But this role entitles him to reduce Khundian soldiers to dust and to decimate their fleet. Hey, biblical prophets also warned of great calamities. He's just taking the direct approach.

Opposite of the healing story – I like that. It applies very well to this character.

Much of this story has potential insofar as the Prophet's self-serving and insular view of events could conflict with the Legionnaires' more secular understandings (e.g., there's an enormous threat that must be stopped).

Lots of potential indeed, somebody should rewrite this story!

The question remains as to whether or not Marte learned her son had married a Durlan. It would have been an interesting twist if the gift had been an Imskian birthstone!

Oh boy! That would have been a good twist. It would suggest that Zendak et al were keeping secrets from the President.

So the whole idea of not prejudging Durlans is turned around into 'Don't prejudge your mother.'

The Comic Code Authority and my mom approved this message.

Originally Posted by Rob-Em

The similarities are astounding, as is the closeness of the publication dates. Just one of these artistic coincidences, or was there something on TV or movies at the time which might have influenced creation of this type of character?

Holy Cats of Egypt!
Fat Cramer #943180 01/19/18 05:33 AM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
Originally Posted by Fat Cramer
Somebody should rewrite this story!

I might just take you up on that! nod

Still "Fickles" to my friends.
Fat Cramer #943278 01/21/18 02:05 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
LoSH 208 Backup

What stands out most for me in this reread, is how much my opinion of Tuska’s art has changed over the years. I probably saw some of his work in black and white Marvel reprints. The first time I noticed his name would have been during his time drawing the Justice League of Detroit. I thought it was a big step backwards from Chuck Patton and George Perez. There were a few really nice panels, such as his depiction of Mera, but I was disappointed. Likewise, I initially thought the art in this story was big step backwards from Giffen and the other Legion artists I was seeing at the time. Which basically just says my comic art appreciation didn’t have many layers to it as a kid. The story not being action oriented probably didn’t help me back then. smile

This is a character driven story. Looking at the way Tuska easily conveys the emotions of the cast, reminds me of all the artists who need to show us heroes in masked costumes because the reader would otherwise be unable to tell one from the other.

Gim tries to distract himself with exercise, a place we’d see a lot of him in. But there’s no escaping the inevitable. His sweat is of a different kind as he goes to his parents for dinner with a wife they’ve not met. Tuska gives us some nice panels of Gim working through the problem as well as an all action departure one his mind is decided.

Yera has rarely, if ever, looked better. Tuska really gives her an unearthly quality in both dress and facial expression. I can easily imagine that it’s more than just the way Durlans look that makes people uneasy. It’s their presence in a room; their actions and responses.

Gim is worried about the effect his surprise wedding will have on his parents, particularly his mom. He’s not very good at handling a secret (perhaps something going back to his LSV encounter, if not before smile ). Yera fancies herself as the United Planets’ next big actress. As she impersonated Vi for so long, she’s much better at keeping secrets. Neither have anything on Marte Allon.

It’s tough to distinguish between the impressions of Marte through the story or the revaluation of her at the end. She’s a very interesting character.

Earth President Allon is hard working, focussed and efficient. She’s also snippy to the poor Compusec, but perhaps it’s because of this evening in particular. smile I’m also willing to let the “united planets will simply have have to do without me as more light hearted than egotistical.

On the other hand, the “this should be a delightful evening” comment loses its warmth to become something more testing by the end. Marte works at more than one level through the story.

Marte loves her son. A lovely expression by Tuska on page 3 is the heart of the story for me. That doesn’t mean that she’s not going to get him to jump through a few hoops. smile

Marte was always going to test Yera, and that the key part of the story. She’s not letting Gim away with a secret marriage that easily. More importantly, she wants to be sure of Year as a person, and of her suitability for her son. Marte points out the problems Durlans have in the UP, suggests that Gim may be “blinded” due to his friendship with Cham, and the killing of visitors to Durla.

But the relationship she has with Gim is also an important factor. Marte’s expression on page 6, where Gim is clearly looking forward to fun filled life with Yera, is not an altogether kind one. I think it shows a combination of emotions, but does lead to her pushing further on Durlan politics.

By the story’s end, Gim has wrongly suggested that his mother has checked up on Yera that evening. He will no doubt feel suitably guilty for suggesting such a thing, especially considering Marte gives Year a gift. I note that Marte does nothing to counter Gim’s view. This is the counter to that look on page 6, and Gim is brought to heel.

Marte’s jolt at Gim’s arrival could easily be her knowing that her plans for the evening were going to start, and not being entirely sure how it will turn out. Marte appears to be genuinely shocked by the news that he is married. The dropping of the bowl to reinforce the surprise is set up well, but it turns out to have been fake by the end. Or rather it seems to. There’s another relationship in the story; that of Marte and Winn. Sure, Winn seems to be in the background to the seemingly stronger personality of Marte.

But her actions, such as dropping the bowl and the couple’s arrival are for his benefit. He’s not aware of the wedding as she is. Winn’s immediate acceptance of Yera, and more importantly of Gim’s decision, prompts Marte to begin her testing. Winn also compliments Yera on her powers and career. That also brings a response from Marte. Marte was going to put Yera through her paces, but Winn and Gim direct it in a particular way. Winn is also comfortable in supporting Marte’s position. He’s not a single note character in the story, and his knowing smile at Marte’s scheming shows it’s something he’s used to.
The gift, of a Life Crystal Pendant, is a really nice nod back to Gim’s LSV encounter. Year clearly loves it and Gim is genuinely grateful for his parents (particularly mom’s acceptance). More lovely Tuska panels of Yera.

Even at the end we see that complexity in Marte. He husband says that the pendant “convinced them that we accept Yera.” Marte’s response of “I thought it would be the right gesture” shows that her thoughts in picking it, were more than just on an emotional level. It’s not lost on me that every time Gim sees the pendant on Yera, he’ll be reminded of his mother. smile

Marte’s knowledge of Gim’s wedding came a month before the dinner in this story. She’s had plenty of time to set up the evening and her approach to it. While that could have come across coldly, and things work out as she planned, she still has a few buttons pushed during the proceedings .

The wedding was told to her by the Science Police. Are they monitoring all marriages, everyone on Earth or just Legionnaires? But, unusually in a world with Omni-Cams, perhaps the information got back simply because of the rather noticeable fight between Gim and Dupe(d) Boy shortly after the wedding.

On the Legion, Marte is said to be mellowing towards it. “Somehow they always seem to make matters more difficult, but they do a lot of good.” It’s consistent that the UP are invariably disgruntled towards the group, never having the self awareness to realise that they’re not minions of Mordru or repeating the anti life equation. smile It was Earthgov promoting who politically inconvenient the Legion were, while glossing over their good works that led us into v4.

I don’t think we see Marte’s assistant, Lopez, again. Was he a spy for Universo/ The Circle/ Mordru or is there a lost tale of his saving Marte from hostile forces?

Back to Tuska, and there’s a surprising amount of background in the panels. Just enough to make the people have an environment, yet never getting in the way. More importantly, he knows exactly when to drop out the backgrounds when there’s a particularly strong emotion to be shown. It’s something he does beyond the dialogue, so its an artist’s choice and he’s spot on every time.

Tuska’s panel composition is clear and easy to follow throughout. But he has his fun, possibly having been given a couple of reference issues. Gim has a couple of close up reaction shots on page 2; Giffen pot plants appear on 2 and throughout the Allon apartment. There’s a longer vertical establishing panel on page 3 that has seen use in recent Legion times. Heads crossing beyond the panel boundary, consistent with recent issues, are on 3 and 6. So Tuska does all of this with hardly anything looking out of place. What’s delightful is that we’ve seen Giffen develop into bringing all of this into his art. For all I know. Tuska could have been doing it forever. It’s clearly not a stretch for him.

Possibly because of his vast experience, it takes Tuska no time at all to go much further. Tuska drops panels on 2,4,6 and particularly 8 to push the reader’s eyes across the pages. Never out of place and always subtlety done. Very nice indeed.

Fat Cramer #943334 01/21/18 08:21 PM
thoth,
That's a really nice analysis of Tuska's contributions to the story. I was never a fan of Tuska--his art did seem to be a letdown from flashier artists. But he knew his stuff and was able to convey a lot of nuance that this quieter story deserved.

Not only do his layouts and backgrounds stand out, but so do his facial expressions, as you pointed out. Winn, in particular, comes through a strongly designed character (bottom of Page 3, for instance, in which his grin and body posture convey confidence and class). The last page, of Marte and Winn in bed, is brilliantly desgined; they seem like a real married couple.

I think I was hasty in my review of the story, above. There is a lot more going on here than I gave Levitz and Tuska credit for. In particular, the story is a careful study in family dynamics, particularly with a powerful mother (who is literally the most powerful person on earth) and a son who underestimates her. There is a lot of loving manipulation going on, as is often the case in families, and clearly defined family roles.

Fat Cramer #943354 01/22/18 09:21 AM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
The title … is sort of insulting to Yera, calling her a “what” instead of “who”. Supposed to be a joke, I guess, or reflect the hostility and prejudice of some of the U.P. regarding Durlans.

Good point about the title reinforcing stereotypes.

That Marte Allon knew all along that Gim had married makes her act of being surprised quite devious. The women in Gim’s life do like to trick him, don’t they?

Perhaps it’s the familiarity of being deceived that adds an extra attraction to Yera for Gim. Gim’s upbringing could be full of incidents where his mother has looked out for him, even if it didn’t quite seem like it to Gim at the time. smile

You wonder why she didn’t call him in and ask him directly when the SPs told her he was secretly married. At some point, she must have also been told that new daughter-in-law was not Vi, but a Durlan imposter. Was she getting back at Gim for hiding this from her?

It’s taken a good part of a month for the dinner to happen. I think there’s a bit of the relationship that gives Gim a little room. Firmly attached by a harness to bring him back in when required. smile I think that in knowing Gim’s secrets soon after the event, that she instead wondered how and when Gim would break the news to her.

And did he even think he could hide this from the President?

I don’t think it crossed Smitten Kitten Lad’s mind. smile

Using the Science Police (Zendak and officers) to procure and deliver Yera’s gift rubbed me the wrong way. Did the taxpayer pay for it? Did it come out of the evidence locker?

smile I can just see Zendek breaking up a life crystal smuggling ring, just so he can hand one to Marte smile Like the title, it’s one of those throwaways that makes you really question just how Utopian the place is.

“I’m sure she paid for it.” – Conclusion Jumping Lad.

Apart from a smile at the end, Marte looks like a robot, expressionless. That struck me as creepy. Winn Allon was a bit of a non-entity, but a pleasant non-entity.

That’s how I thought I’d see this one, but I was as surprised as a surprised Fatal Five getting a surprise visit from Karate Kid. smile

I have had more to say about the little back-up story than the main event.

Although to be fair, it was mainly the same main story as last time smile

Originally Posted by HWW
It would have been an interesting twist if the gift had been an Imskian birthstone!

Marte would have been half way through her points about Imskian hunting and secession rights, before Gim had to remind her. smile

I wonder how the dinner would have gone if it was before Gim knew of it being Yera? Would the truth have been brought out by Marte, as year didn’t have the depth of background knowledge?

What if it had been Marte investigating, using SP resources like Zendak and Erin, and not Element Lad? The familial, professional and Legion/UP plots would have been interesting.

Originally Posted by HWW
Don’t judge people by appearances: this appears to be the moral of the story, but it’s Gim who learns the lesson after prejudging his mother’s reaction. (Not that she gave him much room to doubt since the gift was delivered by SP officers—suggesting official business!) So the whole idea of not prejudging Durlans is turned around into “Don’t prejudge your mother.” Nice, but it sidesteps the cultural conflicts that could have been explored.

Originally Posted by HWW
Alas, I’m expecting too much from a comic book, it seems. smile But Levitz and Giffen set the bar very high on their earlier efforts. It’s hard to accept a less-than-adequate continuation of their ideas.

I was surprised at just how well thought out the relationships were in this one. I read an interview with Giffen where it’s clear that Levitz has a really good grasp of all those little nuances, not just in characters, but their interactions.

Originally Posted by HWW
I was never a fan of Tuska--his art did seem to be a letdown from flashier artists. But he knew his stuff and was able to convey a lot of nuance that this quieter story deserved.

Both here, and in JLD, I don’t think that Tuska’s style lent itself to the colourist/ inkers. I’d need to see some of his older work to see if that’s always been the case.

Originally Posted by HWW
Not only do his layouts and backgrounds stand out, but so do his facial expressions, as you pointed out. Winn, in particular, comes through a strongly designed character (bottom of Page 3, for instance, in which his grin and body posture convey confidence and class).

Winn’s a quiet part in the story, but his comfortable caring attitude propels some of the others.

Originally Posted by HWW
The last page, of Marte and Winn in bed, is brilliantly desgined; they seem like a real married couple.

That was a good page, and the last panel with the lights of was a favourite, along with Yera’s entrance; Marte’s caring for her son and the glow from the Life Crystal.

Originally Posted by HWW
I think I was hasty in my review of the story, above.

Tornado Lad! (started with He Who Flashes there, before it dawned on me smile )

Originally Posted by HWW
There is a lot more going on here than I gave Levitz and Tuska credit for. In particular, the story is a careful study in family dynamics, particularly with a powerful mother (who is literally the most powerful person on earth) and a son who underestimates her. There is a lot of loving manipulation going on, as is often the case in families, and clearly defined family roles.

That sums it up very nicely.

thoth lad #943365 01/22/18 12:55 PM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Originally Posted by thoth lad
Yera has rarely, if ever, looked better. Tuska really gives her an unearthly quality in both dress and facial expression. I can easily imagine that it’s more than just the way Durlans look that makes people uneasy. It’s their presence in a room; their actions and responses.

She does look good. I just noticed here that her antennae are very small and almost recessed into her forehead. It’s the same look as when she was first revealed, but it just struck me in this story.

It’s tough to distinguish between the impressions of Marte through the story or the revaluation of her at the end. She’s a very interesting character.

Her many straight-faced/expressionless panels struck me as curious, as if the artist didn’t particularly like her. But after reading your comments, I’d have to agree and say that she’s more likely hiding her emotions. Sort of like the Queen, always the same fixed smile.

But her actions, such as dropping the bowl and the couple’s arrival are for his benefit. He’s not aware of the wedding as she is. Winn’s immediate acceptance of Yera, and more importantly of Gim’s decision, prompts Marte to begin her testing. Winn also compliments Yera on her powers and career. That also brings a response from Marte. Marte was going to put Yera through her paces, but Winn and Gim direct it in a particular way. Winn is also comfortable in supporting Marte’s position. He’s not a single note character in the story, and his knowing smile at Marte’s scheming shows it’s something he’s used to.

It never occurred to me that Winn was being duped as well! That explains a lot. At this point in Legion history, is Winn Allon identified as a military man – or just Gim’s father/Marte’s husband?

Even at the end we see that complexity in Marte. He husband says that the pendant “convinced them that we accept Yera.” Marte’s response of “I thought it would be the right gesture” shows that her thoughts in picking it, were more than just on an emotional level. It’s not lost on me that every time Gim sees the pendant on Yera, he’ll be reminded of his mother. smile

Wow! Would that be a good reminder or a bad reminder?

Back to Tuska, and there’s a surprising amount of background in the panels. Just enough to make the people have an environment, yet never getting in the way. More importantly, he knows exactly when to drop out the backgrounds when there’s a particularly strong emotion to be shown. It’s something he does beyond the dialogue, so its an artist’s choice and he’s spot on every time.

Going back over this story, I noticed the Three Stooges on the Allon’s television-like thing... and an interesting triangular door.

Tuska’s panel composition is clear and easy to follow throughout. But he has his fun, possibly having been given a couple of reference issues. Gim has a couple of close up reaction shots on page 2; Giffen pot plants appear on 2 and throughout the Allon apartment. There’s a longer vertical establishing panel on page 3 that has seen use in recent Legion times. Heads crossing beyond the panel boundary, consistent with recent issues, are on 3 and 6. So Tuska does all of this with hardly anything looking out of place. What’s delightful is that we’ve seen Giffen develop into bringing all of this into his art. For all I know. Tuska could have been doing it forever. It’s clearly not a stretch for him.

Possibly because of his vast experience, it takes Tuska no time at all to go much further. Tuska drops panels on 2,4,6 and particularly 8 to push the reader’s eyes across the pages. Never out of place and always subtlety done. Very nice indeed.

I really appreciate the emphasis you put on the artwork. It puts the story in a whole new light for me. What’s fun about these rereads is how differently you and HWW sometimes read these issues, compared to my own views. It truly adds to the enjoyment of the reread.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
Fat Cramer #943373 01/22/18 02:02 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
It never occurred to me that Winn was being duped as well! That explains a lot. At this point in Legion history, is Winn Allon identified as a military man – or just Gim’s father/Marte’s husband?

I was wondering that myself. There was a Who's Who in the Legion issue that came out, somewhere in the back end of the Baxter run, with relatives of the Legion. I'll take a look when I'm next in the binders.

Wow! Would that be a good reminder or a bad reminder??

A bit of both, at the same time. I think Marte likes it fine that way. A reminder. smile

Going back over this story, I noticed the Three Stooges on the Allon’s television-like thing

smile I didn't see that. You can hide all the runes you like Giffen! (I didn't spot those either)

What’s fun about these rereads is how differently you and HWW sometimes read these issues, compared to my own views. It truly adds to the enjoyment of the reread.

I couldn't agree more. There's not an issue that I don't learn something from the other reviews.

Fat Cramer #943402 01/23/18 04:50 AM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
#309 Prophet...and Loss/As the Sky Burns by Paul Levitz & Keith Giffen, Larry Mahlstedt Inker, Carl Gafford colours, John Costanza Letters

[Linked Image]

With Lar down and out, Jo confronts Prophet and tells him to surrender. Prophet rejects this and repeats his warning. Brin loses patience, physically attacks Prophet and is immobilized by lightning bolts. Jo, angered, shoves a section of wall onto Prophet, who responds in kind, causing various war machines to attack the Legionnaires. Tasmia wonders why the Khunds aren’t fighting. Prophet fells the Legionnaires and repeats that they must obey him and prepare to fight Omen.

On the medieval world last seen in #305, the old man who was bid to tell his world to surrender to its new masters is rebuffed by a castle guard.

At Legion HQ, Brainy struggles to free Danielle of Computo, but fails. Computo causes an explosion, knocking him down, but Brainy manages to tranquilize Danielle and render Computo unconscious.

On an uninhabited planet, Omen (i.e. the unknown being which Prophet named Omen) watches a seed pod burst, thinks it is beautiful, then realizes he has lost the human who he transformed. He leaves the planet.

On Khundia, Prophet senses that Omen is coming. So is the rest of the Khundian Star Fleet, with the Legionnaires caught in between. Prophet decides that they must die and begins hurling lightning at them. Above them, Relnic and the Khund diplomat Shadrack see the Legionnaires with Prophet. Relnic convinces him that the Legionnaires are fighting Prophet, but is told that if they don’t leave, it’s war with the U.P.. Relnic calls his team of Legionnaires to help the ones facing Prophet. Each one tries, without success, to find Prophet’s weakness. Jacques notices something about his eyes and tells Tasmia to blind him with darkness. This brings him down, since Prophet was tapping some sun’s energy – and Khundia’s sun is in perpetual eclipse. Suddenly, a giant white eyeless head appears in the sky. It’s Omen.

Back-up: Monarchs of All They Survey by Paul Levitz & Keith Giffen, art by Pat Broderick & Mike DeCarlo, Colors by Carl Gafford, Letters by Todd Klein

Val and Jeckie enjoy their honeymoon on the beach of the Luxuris resort. He worries about the public money spent on this vacation, she doesn’t – and tells him he’ll be leading the quiet life. Jeckie projects attacking knights to relieve Val’s boredom. As he fights the illusion, a Chironian, B’Hanath, watches on a monitor screen, accompanied by Jeckie’s cousin Pharoxx. He’s here for revenge.

Val and Jeckie tussle on the beach, but as they embrace, a monster looms above them. Val brings it down, but Jeckie wonders why the island she rented isn’t private as requested. They fly off to confront management and are attacked by flying fish, which she distracts with another illusion. Clouds have appeared, which put both of them to sleep.

Val is awakened by Pharoxx, who challenges him to a one-on-one fight. Val manages to turn his magic against him; Pharoxx disappears into a fiery void, crying “They’re taking me” and shouting threats. Neither Jeckie nor Val understand what happened to him and decide to resume their honeymoon.

Comments: This is the Doom is Coming issue, not just with Prophet on Khundia, but threats against Orando and an unruly Computo promise trouble ahead.

How much time has elapsed over the last two issues? I have a sense that it’s been perhaps only an hour – and we’re finally getting to the main event, the arrival of Omen. Up until that point, there’s just been some throwing Legionnaires about and repeating doom and gloom.

Once again, Jacques comes through with a key insight. He’s the only one that notices the sun in Prophet’s eyes and has the sense to get Tasmia as the best person suited to deal with it. She doesn’t question him, which indicates to what degree he’s earned the trust of his teammates. We were told in a previous issue that Khundia lived in twilight, but I didn’t make the connection that Prophet was created by some solar power and was running on it.

The diplomatic situation on Khundia has worsened, although the threats seem to lack urgency. The only sense I got that the situation is terribly delicate is the acceptance of Relnic’s Legionnaires to remain inactive.

We get to see Omen, a faceless humanoid who seems childlike, fascinated with nature. Not exactly the portrait of doom as drawn by Prophet, which complicates the story. I’m can’t really say if I thought this was an interesting complication, a diversion from Omen’s true nature/mission or just WTF? Think of the destruction a simple-minded child like Validus causes and Omen picking flowers might not seem so innocent. As for Omen’s giant face in the sky at the end – that sort of thing always makes me groan, although I guess it’s just shorthand for omnipotent being.

Two sub-plots get updates: Computo is still active in Danielle and the medieval world does not want to hear about any new masters. The latter, which will turn out to be the deadly takeover of Orando by the LSV, is played for laughs here. The old man is a prophet as well, sent to deliver a message from a more powerful being – and getting a very different reception than Prophet. It’s a simple scene, but makes one think how you can be laughing one day and face disaster the next.

The back-up also advances the Orando sub-plot. Pharoxx is alive, apparently working for/with somebody and wants the throne. He’s disabled by Val, but is yanked into some void, presumably to fight another day. Jeckie seems strangely unperturbed.

After the attack, Val makes more noise about modernizing Orando, to which the Queen continues to be firmly resistant. Probably would have become a bone of contention if the marriage had continued.

We meet another horse-guy from the same race of Chironians as Nullport manager H’hranath, with the same wheeler-dealer, somewhat shady character. Must be a fun planet.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
thoth lad #943424 01/23/18 09:19 PM
What’s fun about these rereads is how differently you and HWW sometimes read these issues, compared to my own views. It truly adds to the enjoyment of the reread.

I couldn't agree more. There's not an issue that I don't learn something form the other reviews.

Hugs back to both of you. You spot things I would never think of.

Getting to read these old stories and learn something new about them is often the highlight of my week.

Fat Cramer #943445 01/24/18 04:41 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
LoSH 309

Cover: Last issue we had Mon El racing towards a Khundian armoury. He’s more cautious for the cover of #309. The Prophet is being positioned as a foe not to be trifled (or tiramisued) with, as the unconscious forms of Brin and Rokk attest. It’s a tense cover, with energy crackling around the hands of the Prophet and Garth. Giffen does a good job in having the Prophet be the central figure, but have his hands reach to either side of the Legion logo; a hint that he wants to destroy it? A nice collection of rubble gives us the sense of destruction while taking up the bottom half of the cover. That allows for a plain, yet bloody sky to sit behind the logo. The effective typeface of “Prophet and loss” reinforces the change form the pastor to the Prophet.

But is it the Prophet that’s making the Legion apprehensive, or is it the shadow of the Omen we can see on his cloak?

The splash page has a posturing Jo telling the Prophet to stop his warnings. Jo’s costume looks dated, and he reminds me of the Golden Age wrestler-build super heroes. It’s not just that Jo feels the Legion are capable of dealing with the threat (nice “so are we” in there). He just doesn’t want another issue wasted with the Prophet just standing there. smile

But a rerun is what we get. Shady dodges energy blasts; Brin (whose acrobatic fighting style is shown well) attacks directly and get thumped and we at least “see” Jacques being told to get out of the way, rather than just vanishing. Tinya gets to effectively use her powers again, but then she’s been getting a lot of practice against the same threat for a few issues. As with previous encounters, the Prophet’s Plot Powers win out. So, the reader is reminded of his strength and that the Omen is coming. Again. Just as this plot is about to finally move forward… we switch to events on Orando.

An elderly man (the one who survived the attack on a village in a previous issue?) asks the residents of a castle to surrender. He’s told that he’s mad and the door remains closed. A shadow of one of the those he now serves stands behind him.

While the Prophet plot is in an extended loop, I could have done with another page of this. A single page doesn’t seem to move things forward. It’s only at the end of the book, that it ties in with the second story. Also, having further action would give away the surprise of who’s behind the old man. That would spoil the start of the Baxter run. As I didn’t get the Baxter run, this probably seemed like a plot that didn’t go anywhere fast either. It would be a year before the newsstand issues caught up. smile Looking at it now, I wonder if all of these scenes would form part of a TPB of the Baxter run. It seems unlikely given the format differences, but it is the same plot.

Instead of giving things away, Levitz tells us in the cations that Orando is under siege. This castle could be one of the last standing, or free. I imagine those responsible didn’t want to destroy it, if they were planning to use it as a base.

Nothing from Omen yet, so it’s time for another subplot. Brainy’s attempted cure for Danielle isn’t going to plan. At least he’s installed a tranquiliser to prevent Computo from escaping in her body. He nearly doesn’t get to subdue her though. An automated system Brainy? For all the times Brainy provides plot solutions at the drop of a hat, it’s good to see him struggle with a problem.

The Omen appears in the next scene. This is the one that reminded me of the Beyonder from Secret Wars II. He’s cosmic in scope; his intentions are unknown and he may be a witness or the cause of transformations around him. As the alien space shoal seemed to be heading to Trewsk’s sun, I read into it that the solar prominences were going to occur anyway. It was part of that species migratory path to bathe in the light from that sun. The research station was there because of unusual, but existing solar occurrences in that system.

If that’s so, the Omen may only be an observer (not to be confused with The Watcher or The Monitor or his aunty). He seems pleased at a transformation he sees, but is it simple pleasure in nature’s beauty or at his own handiwork? He may get inspiration from some events to perform his own transformations. It’s confirmed that he did change the Prophet. Noticing the Prophet’s absence is what sends him in the direction of Khundia.

The Prophet is a bit of a self-fulfilling one. He warns everyone about a forthcoming doom, but he’s the one responsible for bringing it, however unintentionally. His contradictory actions in warning/ attacking potential allies certainly puts everyone on a war footing against the Omen when it finally arrives.

Having bored the Legion senseless, The Prophet then blames them for delaying him and is about to attack. There’s a pause of a moment… and Levitz is pushes his luck by having a subplot within it. It’s almost more of a flashback, but one that could have been put in earlier. It’s not been a story that has gathered momentum, and this doesn’t help.

Ambassador Relnic confers with the Khunds regarding the threat. The Khunds warn him to do nothing, but Relnic decides on another course of action. Just as well, as the Legionnaires being attacked by the Prophet are rooted to the spot. Unusual for them, but handy for the plot as Blok turns up to absorb the blast. Noticeably the blast damages his form, something Giffen will have lots of fun with.

“Only those who stand by me against him shall survive,” says the Prophet. Not that he’s given anyone much of an option. Each of the Legionnaires attacks Mr Plot Device to no avail. But Jacques, resuming his knack for pushing stories forward as he did in the GDS, spots something the others don’t. It’s a character trait developed so that he isn’t spending the stories ducking out of the way of debris.

He concludes that the Prophet is absorbing solar radiation to fuel his powers. Giffen’s use of close ups means that the Prophet’s eyes get a lot of foreshadowing (before their shadowing tee hee) As Khundia is perpetually dark, he must be doing this remotely. Jacques gets Shady to fire shadows into the Prophet’s eyes.

Shady might have discovered this for herself, but she’s the member shown not using her powers (well, Dram Girl) on the previous page. Can’t have her preventing Jacques figuring it out. I’m all for everyone finding their niche, but it could have been written to strengthen both characters. Firing shadows into people’s eyes would be used when Shady next meets the Persuader.

It’s a twist on taking down a villain’s power source, done well due to Khundia’s established history. A weakened Prophet still warns everyone in earshot (until thumped by Jo) about the Omen… who appears in the skies! Well, his giant glowing head does anyway. Everyone seems to gasp “ I thought you’d be a bit smaller! and “I can see right up his nostril…of Space!” What the Omen will/won’t do is left for the finale, as the main story is 13 pages this issue. The All powerful Plot Powered Prophet’s abilities go out like a light switch, when it’s very convenient to have him out of the way.

There are lots of interesting pages of Giffen art. He settles into having small reaction shots of faces within the scenes. He extends this to having the borders of such panels convey emotion, such as the Prophet on page 10. Lots of points for this approach, in a time where there were a lot of thought bubble around. He uses panel size to convey action too, such as Danielle falling unconscious on page 6 (she looks green in my copy from the gas, I wonder if anyone thought it was Brainy falling asleep, particularly as it follows a panel where he slumps down). This issue, he also uses those reaction-faces to move the reader’s eyes around. An example is page 2 with the Prophet on page 2. His face is to the left of Jos and then overlaps with it to move the reader right and down.

On page 4 Giffen uses the panel shapes almost as story arrows, narrowing and broadening them as appropriate, and also combines overlapping with every one.

On page 7 the unnamed planet sits to one side of two horizontal panels, one showing its position in space and the second the Omen walking on it’s surface. I really liked that one. Giffen must have, as I notice he also uses it on page 6. Partly that’s because, having established the scene, Giffen can then use the close ups he’s so fond of without losing any of the sense of place. The last panel mirrors the use of the planet in the first, changed only to take a light out from the page and across into the next. Nicely done, even if the planet can’t be right on the bottom right for symmetry.

Page 8 gives us a top down view over Khundia’s capital, that Giffen used as far back as the GDS. It doesn’t look as crisp here as it did then though.

A couple of pages work a little less well, Page 9 is a page within a single larger panel. It’s different, but looks a bit forced. There’s the thought bubble that falls out of the panel, which lessens the effect further.

Page 11 has a nice design; 10 panels of Legionnaires surrounding the Prophet. But the effects we see crossing over into the Prophet don’t match the Legionnaires’ powers. The bottom four actually move the story along. But having the Prophet appear again detracts from his central presence, and there creates lots of contrary energy effects. I do like the idea though.

Long horizontals and verticals make a reappearance, as more than just establishing shots. Shady’s shadow beam’s going into the Prophet’s eyes on page 12 benefits form the panel, as does Jo punching the Prophet into the air on page 13. I also liked the Prophet standing in the flaming ruins on page four, even as the opening panel on 10 doesn’t work too well.

Since I found something interesting, and mainly positive, in the design on every page, I’d have to say that there were a lot more hits than misses. Mahlstedt and Gafford also do a very good job this issue, but I’m not sold on the changes to Giffen’s basic pencilling.

The changes in the art, and the upcoming schedule clearly still impact the story. The main plot has moved from an “Omen is coming” in the first scene to “He’s here!” in the last, which isn’t a huge amount of progress, considering we’ve already been waiting for a while.

Fat Cramer #943463 01/24/18 07:37 PM
308 First Story (“As the Sky Burns”)

I think it helps me to do what thoth did and review the two stories separately so I can allow each to flourish or flounder under its own merits.

Speaking of floundering, when I opened the book to Page 1, I immediately knew something was amiss. This is just about the ugliest rendering of Legionnaires I can recall. The whole image is off, from Ultra Boy’s foreshortened arm to the indistinct flame and wreckage lines in the background. Shadow Lass resembles a kabuki dancer, and Timber Wolf looks as if he should have gone to the bathroom before they left Corvan. At least Phantom Girl’s face conveys some nuance. It’s hard to believe this is the same artist who drew the GDS and other recent issues.

Elsewhere in the story, the old Giffen returns, especially on the Orando page (p. 5); dig the castle, for example, and the surrounding hillside. This panel alone is well-rendered, atmospheric, and even beautiful.
Other panels and pages are a mixed bag. I did enjoy the innovative approach of showing the Prophet in the center of Page 11, unmoved as the Legionnaires assault him from the surrounding panels. Unlike the 16-panel grid of the previous issue, this page gave us something clear to focus on, and it was easy to follow the action.

As for the story, the major plot development consists of the first true appearance of Omen, the guy/thing/doom the Prophet has been warning us about for three issuesnow. When I first read this story, I thought the intent was to create an alien that was so alien-like, his motivations and even speech patterns were undecipherable. I think this is still the intent, but I’m also seeing a different angle from Omen’s introductory page (page 7). He seems childlike in his wonder of nature and annoyance in the disappearance of the human he’s taken as a “toy.” I wonder if that the intent was to create a child-like alien who was so far above us that human beings seem like play-things. Omen, meet Trelane, squire of Gothos.

In fact, the narrative captions on the page seem unnecessary. They distract the reader by telling us Omen’s “feelings . . . are unknowable—his response is not.” This is one of those cases where I would have preferred to make my own interpretation.

I agree with Cramey that the image of Omen’s head looming large over the Legionnaires is groan-worthy—especially since Omen’s appearance isn’t all that impressive. If you’re going to design a truly alien alien, don’t make him look like a bald guy with no eyes.

In the meantime, a bunch of other stuff happens in the story—some of it good, some of it unremarkable. Among the former, Jacques once again demonstrates how valuable he can be by figuring out the means to defeat the Prophet. (I also got a kick out of his use of French confusing Phantom Girl.) Among the latter, the Computo interlude goes nowhere except to remind us that Brainy is still trying to cure Danielle. (Actually, this subplot will bear fruit in a subsequent issue, but, as I recall, it makes a mockery of one of the Legion’s deadliest and most fearsome enemies.)

One other aspect of “As the Sky Burns” merits mention. Upon being informed by the Khund ambassador that the Legionnaires should leave Khundia immediately, Ambassador Relnic does the exact opposite: He orders more Legionnaires into the fray. It’s one of those super-hero decisions (“We know what’s right, and we’re going to do what’s right even if the authorities don’t agree.”) that wouldn’t improve real-world diplomacy between the UP and Khundia. Relnic might have ordered the Legionnaires out—that would have allowed him and the UP to save face—and they may have refused because they, after all, are the super-heroes, not him. I’m not sure what the best response would have been, but it’s one of those things that jumps out at me, as a reader now 35 years removed from the original reading, as less cut and dried than depicted.

Fat Cramer #943465 01/24/18 09:04 PM

Once again, Jacques comes through with a key insight. He’s the only one that notices the sun in Prophet’s eyes and has the sense to get Tasmia as the best person suited to deal with it. She doesn’t question him, which indicates to what degree he’s earned the trust of his teammates. We were told in a previous issue that Khundia lived in twilight, but I didn’t make the connection that Prophet was created by some solar power and was running on it.

It was a nice bit of foreshadowing on Levitz's part.

Thoth's post made me realize that this bit was probably intended to give Jacques something to do. As a Legionnaire whose only power (so far as we know yet) is invisibility, he really doesn't have much to do in this story except stay out of the way. It's a tried and true way of showing everybody has something to contribute. If only it worked that way in real life . . .

We get to see Omen, a faceless humanoid who seems childlike, fascinated with nature. Not exactly the portrait of doom as drawn by Prophet, which complicates the story. I’m can’t really say if I thought this was an interesting complication, a diversion from Omen’s true nature/mission or just WTF? Think of the destruction a simple-minded child like Validus causes and Omen picking flowers might not seem so innocent.

Good catch about Omen being childlike. You made me think maybe that was Levitz's intention all along.

The old man is a prophet as well, sent to deliver a message from a more powerful being – and getting a very different reception than Prophet. It’s a simple scene, but makes one think how you can be laughing one day and face disaster the next.

Good point about the old man being a prophet. I hope the LSVers were kind to him and gave him a swift death for his failure. smile

The Omen appears in the next scene. . . [H]is intentions are unknown and he may be a witness or the cause of transformations around him. As the alien space shoal seemed to be heading to Trewsk’s sun, I read into it that the solar prominences were going to occur anyway. It was part of that species migratory path to bathe in the light from that sun. The research station was there because of unusual, but existing solar occurrences in that system.

Excellent point. There is so much in this story we take for granted--that Omen is the threat he appears to be, that he caused the destruction on Trewsk--and the only evidence we have is the Prophet's word. If this story had gone differently, we might have found that Omen was indeed just a bystander--a child-like alien who intrigued by a human "toy" which approached him and decided to modify the toy (e.g., grant him powers) to make it easier to play with . . . or perhaps Omen tried to save the Trewsk outpost and somehow failed. There were so many possibilities for Omen to challenge our assumptions about who/what he was.

The Prophet is a bit of a self-fulfilling one. He warns everyone about a forthcoming doom, but he’s the one responsible for bringing it, however unintentionally. His contradictory actions in warning/ attacking potential allies certainly puts everyone on a war footing against the Omen when it finally arrives.

"I'm going to save your soul, even if I have to kill you to do it." -- the mantra of missionary zealots everywhere.

Have you ever read The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver? It provides a particularly chilling example of the above.

(well, Dram Girl)

Interesting typo. Short for Dramamine Girl? Maybe that's her real power: preventing the others from getting motion sickness in a story that doesn't move anywhere. smile

He uses panel size to convey action too, such as Danielle falling unconscious on page 6 (she looks green in my copy from the gas, I wonder if anyone thought it was Brainy falling asleep, particularly as it follows a panel where he slumps down).

To me, her features were distinctly African and consistent with her other closeups, so there was no confusion.

Good points about the various pluses in Giffen's art this time. We can see he put a lot of thought into the panel arrangements and what would be in those panels.

Last edited by He Who Wanders; 01/24/18 09:10 PM.

He Who Wanders #943474 01/25/18 06:12 AM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
This is the Doom is Coming issue, not just with Prophet on Khundia, but threats against Orando and an unruly Computo promise trouble ahead.

Good point on that overall darkness approaching the team. I had been looking at all the subplots separately, so hadn’t been joining the dots (or, as they say in the Legion, I couldn’t see the wood for the Chameleon Boy’s showing off to Supergirl). That tone does lend itself to the start of the Baxter run.

Up until that point, there’s just been some throwing Legionnaires about and repeating doom and gloom.

nod

Once again, Jacques comes through with a key insight. He’s the only one that notices the sun in Prophet’s eyes and has the sense to get Tasmia as the best person suited to deal with it. She doesn’t question him, which indicates to what degree he’s earned the trust of his teammates.

I much prefer thinking your version than Tasmia having to be there only because her powers were needed for the plot. smile I remember an earlier (Levitz?) story with Blok having to be there for blatant plot purposes.

The diplomatic situation on Khundia has worsened, although the threats seem to lack urgency. The only sense I got that the situation is terribly delicate is the acceptance of Relnic’s Legionnaires to remain inactive.

I think that the comedy interlude with the Khundian and Blok really undermined the diplomacy subplot. The tension, which I’m sure has a payoff before the end of the story, was diffused by that scene. I get the feeling that these diplomatic missions are ongoing, with both empires using their influence along the fringes. Failures in negotiations might not always mean all out war, although the Khundians are overly aggressive, but worlds on the edges might be attacked on a regular basis. That undermines the UP and removes buffers to other worlds.

We get to see Omen, a faceless humanoid who seems childlike, fascinated with nature. Not exactly the portrait of doom as drawn by Prophet, which complicates the story.

I did like that the Omen’s innocent nature is at complete odds with the Prophet’s rantings. With the readers having seen the Omen on Trewsk, we’ve seen that he wasn’t definitely a threat there. The Legionnaires, might be more wary though, not having that information.

I’m can’t really say if I thought this was an interesting complication, a diversion from Omen’s true nature/mission or just WTF? Think of the destruction a simple-minded child like Validus causes and Omen picking flowers might not seem so innocent.

No, it might not. I’m currently in the “Give Omen a break” camp. smile so, I’ve not been picking up the threat behind the innocence so clearly. The Omen is very interested in transformation. Trewsk’s sun; possibly the aliens; the plant and the Prophet. But having witnessed it, does it then want to do a bit of transformation by itself? Actually, that reminds me of Jan Arrah as the Progenitor. Alone for such a long time, he saw life forms emerge and then started changing them. Perhaps Jan is that universe’s version of The Omen?

Two sub-plots get updates: Computo is still active in Danielle and the medieval world does not want to hear about any new masters. The latter, which will turn out to be the deadly takeover of Orando by the LSV, is played for laughs here. The old man is a prophet as well, sent to deliver a message from a more powerful being – and getting a very different reception than Prophet. It’s a simple scene, but makes one think how you can be laughing one day and face disaster the next.

I really like the idea of the old man as a parallel prophet, Cramer. That adds a lot of depth to the story.

Originally Posted by HWW
Thoth's post made me realize that this bit was probably intended to give Jacques something to do. As a Legionnaire whose only power (so far as we know yet) is invisibility, he really doesn't have much to do in this story except stay out of the way. It's a tried and true way of showing everybody has something to contribute. If only it worked that way in real life . . .

He would have been Flattened By Shuttle Lad earlier in the story if real life had peeked in smile Mind you, that would have just led to a show down to see whether Flattened By Shuttle Lad or Ron Karr got admitted into the Legion. smile

Originally Posted by HWW
Good point about the old man being a prophet. I hope the LSVers were kind to him and gave him a swift death for his failure. smile

The old man was snogged to death by Sun Emperor smile

Originally Posted by HWW
There were so many possibilities for Omen to challenge our assumptions about who/what he was.

You’re right. I’m seeing him less of a being that’s child like, and more like a being with a perspective that’s moved past civilisations, such as the squabbles shown in the story between the UP and the Khunds, towards naturally occurring wonders.

Originally Posted by HWW
"I'm going to save your soul, even if I have to kill you to do it." -- the mantra of missionary zealots everywhere.

nod

Originally Posted by HWW
Have you ever read The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver? It provides a particularly chilling example of the above.

I haven’t. Does it get a HWW recommendation as a good read?

Originally Posted by HWW
(well, Dram Girl)
Interesting typo. Short for Dramamine Girl? Maybe that's her real power: preventing the others from getting motion sickness in a story that doesn't move anywhere. smile

smile

Nura Nal looked out at the purple clouded islands that dotted the bay towards the horizon. While the curve of her world limited the distance she could see, there were no such barriers when it came to her vision through time. Nura knew that she would have to leave her pampered life on New Caledonia. She had seen her precognitive powers helping the Legion defeat the growing darkness that threatened to engulf the galaxy.

But how would she be able to help them with more immediate threats? How could she develop her powers to shift to different levels of consciousness? She drew on the heritage of her Celtic ancestors, and gave a small laugh at having missed the obvious solution. She would become blind drunk and pass out!

Thus Dram Girl, with her utility belt of Whisky Miniatures would not only join the Legion, she would lead it! When not recovering from a hangover, that is.

Jimmy Olsen #87: In “The Magic Circle” the legion are investigated the Satan Sorcerer, who is really a brainwashed Clark Kent. Dram Girl’s slurred request to see a Big Trick is misinterpreted, leading to a battle between Giant Turtle Olsen and Colossal Boy. Following this, the victorious Olsen would start wearing Gim’s costume in his own time.

Action Comics #364: Supergirl travels to the future to find the Legion in a dream like state. “The Dream Dates of Dram Girl” reveals that Nura has entered the minds of her friends to erase memories of a particularly embarrassing drunken weekend. Nura would spend time in the Subs after this story, along with a smitten Star Boy.

LoSH v3 #64: Following the Magic Wars, “Breakdowns” continues with Earthgov taking advantage of the absence of key Legionniares. Cham is rebuilding Brande Inc, Brainy has been summoned to Colu and Nura has finally checked into clinic for therapy and detox. Is it the end for Dram Girl?

Fat Cramer #943479 01/25/18 08:15 AM
Yes, I recommend The Poisonwood Bible. I read it at least 15 years ago and still remember it vividly. That says something.

Dram Girl would have been such a valuable asset to the Legion. It's a shame they included a sobriety clause in their constitution, thanks to Brainy and his kono juice . . .

He Who Wanders #943484 01/25/18 10:04 AM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Yes, I recommend The Poisonwood Bible. I read it at least 15 years ago and still remember it vividly. That says something.

Thanks. I’ll add it to my list.

Dram Girl would have been such a valuable asset to the Legion. It's a shame they included a sobriety clause in their constitution, thanks to Brainy and his kono juice . . .

Having a member with the codename “Kono” in v4 was a clear attempt to capture the Dram Girl fan base. But Kono never had adventures like…

Legion Annual 4 (1993) – Lamprey and Dram Girl investigate the extent of Dark Circle control over Tellus’ secessionist homeworld, only to fight the bio-engineered aquatic horror of… The Sturgeons!

(a bit of local politics there, for Dram Girl's Caledonian roots smile )

Fat Cramer #943515 01/25/18 10:07 PM
Kono -- must be the 30th century equivalent of naming a girl Brandy or Tequila.

309, Second Story (“Monarchs of All They Survey”)

The opening caption confused me as to when this story takes place. It states that Jeckie and Val are “officially on leave” from the Legion, yet they resigned when they married. The phrase “for several weeks prior to their wedding” also suggests this is an untold tale from the recent past. Yet there’s no reason for it to be. V and J are simply on their honeymoon, as the caption also states.

Some honeymoon. Their marital bliss is interrupted by a difference of opinion, an old foe, and some really bad hairstyles. (Where did Pat Broderick study? The Cosmetology School of Department Store Mannequins?) Jeckie’s hair even changes length, but, when you’ve got the power of illusion, why not? Maybe the thin body is also an illusion to cover up her “hedonistic” indulgences.

As for Val, he appears to have learned a few illusion tricks himself. Not once in this story does he look even vaguely Asian. Mostly, he looks like a typical Hollywood leading man, though some close-ups are more natural than others.

Anyway, the story is nothing special. Our heroes are attacked by Pharoxx, who wants revenge for losing the throne of Orando. He arranges for Jeckie to lie around unconscious so he can fight Val mano-a-mano (an appearance by Mano—or two of him—would have been interesting). Val wins, of course, and Pharoxx is spirited away by whatever forces he was working with. His final threat—that Jeckie would see Orando in ruins—now comes across as subtle foreshadowing, not the empty threat it first appeared to be. (One of the unexpected pleasures of re-reading these current stories is noting the various clues leading up to the LSV War.)

Jeckie and Val are once again shown to be at odds in terms of personality. He wants to modernize Orando; she doesn’t. She uses their tiff as an excuse to create a battle illusion to keep him busy. We learn she has no qualms about spending the Orando treasury on her honeymoon. Really, these two are more egotistical and willful than Nura ever was; at least they’re evenly matched.

And, oh yes, we’ve got another horse-like alien. Every time one of these creatures appears, it throws me out of the story. The LSH of this era was growing up, becoming serious, and even addressing thought-provoking themes (as we’ve discussed in our Omen reviews). Cutesy horse aliens detract from all that.

I would like to say that this story is haunting to read in light of what lies ahead, but it isn’t. It doesn’t tell me anything new or interesting about the doomed lovers, Jeckie and Val. It just doesn’t really do anything at all.

Fat Cramer #943540 01/26/18 01:04 PM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Instead of giving things away, Levitz tells us in the cations that Orando is under siege. This castle could be one of the last standing, or free. I imagine those responsible didn't want to destroy it, if they were planning to use it as a base.

What got me was that the castle seemed rather relaxed for a planet under siege. They actually opened the door to the old man, albeit not too wide, and just dismissed him. No sense of urgency or danger.

Nothing from Omen yet, so it's time for another subplot. Brainy's attempted cure for Danielle isn't going to plan. At least he's installed a tranquiliser to prevent Computo from escaping in her body. He nearly doesn't get to subdue her though. An automated system Brainy? For all the times Brainy provides plot solutions at the drop of a hat, it's good to see him struggle with a problem.

Yes, it’s rare that Brainy meets his intellectual match.

If that's so, the Omen may only be an observer (not to be confused with The Watcher or The Monitor or his aunty). He seems pleased at a transformation he sees, but is it simple pleasure in nature's beauty or at his own handiwork? He may get inspiration from some events to perform his own transformations. It's confirmed that he did change the Prophet. Noticing the Prophet's absence is what sends him in the direction of Khundia.

I hadn’t considered that he was changing the flowers, but given what he did to the Prophet, he could well have been playing around with nature.

Shady might have discovered this for herself, but she's the member shown not using her powers (well, Dram Girl) on the previous page. Can't have her preventing Jacques figuring it out. I'm all for everyone finding their niche, but it could have been written to strengthen both characters. Firing shadows into people's eyes would be used when Shady next meets the Persuader.

Ah! A trick she picked up from Jacques’ suggestion, no doubt. Of course Jacques needed something to do, but a character whose power is shadow-casting should have been more attuned to what light is doing.

It's a twist on taking down a villain's power source, done well due to Khundia's established history. A weakened Prophet still warns everyone in earshot (until thumped by Jo) about the Omen' who appears in the skies! Well, his giant glowing head does anyway. Everyone seems to gasp ' I thought you'd be a bit smaller! and 'I can see right up his nostril - of Space!' What the Omen will/won't do is left for the finale, as the main story is 13 pages this issue. The All powerful Plot Powered Prophet's abilities go out like a light switch, when it's very convenient to have him out of the way.

If it were the Subs, someone surely would have commented on the nostril – of Space.

He uses panel size to convey action too, such as Danielle falling unconscious on page 6 (she looks green in my copy from the gas, I wonder if anyone thought it was Brainy falling asleep, particularly as it follows a panel where he slumps down).

I thought it was Brainy at first, because of the green and the slump, although a second look clearly shows Danielle’s face.

Since I found something interesting, and mainly positive, in the design on every page, I'd have to say that there were a lot more hits than misses. Mahlstedt and Gafford also do a very good job this issue, but I'm not sold on the changes to Giffen's basic pencilling.

As before, I enjoy all the art details you point out!

Originally Posted by HWW
Elsewhere in the story, the old Giffen returns, especially on the Orando page (p. 5); dig the castle, for example, and the surrounding hillside. This panel alone is well-rendered, atmospheric, and even beautiful.

I wonder if this was a page meant for a different story/issue or drawn at an earlier time.

When I first read this story, I thought the intent was to create an alien that was so alien-like, his motivations and even speech patterns were undecipherable. I think this is still the intent, but I'm also seeing a different angle from Omen's introductory page (page 7). He seems childlike in his wonder of nature and annoyance in the disappearance of the human he's taken as a 'toy.' I wonder if that the intent was to create a child-like alien who was so far above us that human beings seem like play-things. Omen, meet Trelane, squire of Gothos.

The human as toy is a good comparison. When Omen realized Prophet was gone, it was almost like a kid realizing his dog has wandered off.

In the meantime, a bunch of other stuff happens in the story - some of it good, some of it unremarkable. Among the former, Jacques once again demonstrates how valuable he can be by figuring out the means to defeat the Prophet. (I also got a kick out of his use of French confusing Phantom Girl.)

It didn’t strike me at the time, but what we read in English is really Interlac that they’re speaking. So the French expressions would be even further removed from the common language (although I recall that Jacques used the word “dangereuse” earlier on, and was understood to be saying dangerous; maybe some words are more recognizable).

One other aspect of 'As the Sky Burns' merits mention. Upon being informed by the Khund ambassador that the Legionnaires should leave Khundia immediately, Ambassador Relnic does the exact opposite: He orders more Legionnaires into the fray. It's one of those super-hero decisions ('We know what's right, and we're going to do what's right even if the authorities don't agree.') that wouldn't improve real-world diplomacy between the UP and Khundia. Relnic might have ordered the Legionnaires out - that would have allowed him and the UP to save face - and they may have refused because they, after all, are the super-heroes, not him. I'm not sure what the best response would have been, but it's one of those things that jumps out at me, as a reader now 35 years removed from the original reading, as less cut and dried than depicted.

Good point. Relnic isn’t going to be pushed around by the Khunds, even on their own planet – and likely realizes that he himself may face consequences for his decision, especially if it all goes wrong.

Jeckie and Val are once again shown to be at odds in terms of personality. He wants to modernize Orando; she doesn’t. She uses their tiff as an excuse to create a battle illusion to keep him busy. We learn she has no qualms about spending the Orando treasury on her honeymoon. Really, these two are more egotistical and willful than Nura ever was; at least they’re evenly matched.

Agreed, they really don't come off very well, especially Jeckie. They deserve their hairstyles!

And, oh yes, we’ve got another horse-like alien. Every time one of these creatures appears, it throws me out of the story. The LSH of this era was growing up, becoming serious, and even addressing thought-provoking themes (as we’ve discussed in our Omen reviews). Cutesy horse aliens detract from all that.

At least he wasn't a giant horse head in the sky....

Thus Dram Girl, with her utility belt of Whisky Miniatures would not only join the Legion, she would lead it! When not recovering from a hangover, that is.

Dram Girl - woo-hoo! The gritty, fight 'em in the streets Legionnaire! Not to be confused with a Saint Bernard.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
Fat Cramer #943550 01/26/18 02:30 PM

What got me was that the castle seemed rather relaxed for a planet under siege. They actually opened the door to the old man, albeit not too wide, and just dismissed him. No sense of urgency or danger.

Good catch. This is another instance, I think, where captions are unnecessary. They even detract from the scene by giving information that is not supported by the art. If the captions were removed, we would understand perfectly well what's going on.

It didn’t strike me at the time, but what we read in English is really Interlac that they’re speaking. So the French expressions would be even further removed from the common language (although I recall that Jacques used the word “dangereuse” earlier on, and was understood to be saying dangerous; maybe some words are more recognizable).

Now that we have the miracle that is Google Translate, I've typed in some of Jacques' expressions to find out what they really mean. I've found this quite illuminating.

Originally Posted by me

At least he wasn't a giant horse head in the sky....

laugh

Now I can't get that image out of my mind. smile

Dram Girl - woo-hoo! The gritty, fight 'em in the streets Legionnaire! Not to be confused with a Saint Bernard.

laugh laugh

Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,019
Posts1,044,941
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886