Roll Call
0 members (), 10 Murran Spies, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Legion Tracker - 04/30/24 08:52 PM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by stile86 - 04/30/24 06:39 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by stile86 - 04/30/24 06:33 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by thoth lad - 04/30/24 06:24 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by stile86 - 04/30/24 06:20 PM
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by stile86 - 04/30/24 06:12 PM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Ann Hebistand - 04/30/24 04:24 PM
Who's Who in Raz's Legion? *added BOUNCING BETTY 30 April*
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/30/24 12:16 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 16 1 2 3 4 15 16
Re: Re-Reading the Legion: Archives Volume 21
Fat Cramer #951584 06/12/18 03:29 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Comments

Originally Posted by Cramer
When he asks "Another one?" as Jo approaches, it suggests that humans all look alike to him, since he had already spent some time reading Jo's mind through physical contact.

Good save on a possible scripting boo boo Cramer.

one assumes this was pre-arranged although it looks as if the others were going to leave him there.

That code against killing is hopefully a reminder to writer/artist not to forget the supporting cast when planets blow up. smile

Jo continues to act without thinking first, but the team does come together as a team to accomplish the destruction of the factory planet. We see how Tinya manages him, although "helpfully directs his attention" might be a more benevolent description, telling him to pay attenion, what they must do. He, however, directs her in battle: she's the strategist, he's the action man. She calls him Jo, not Ultra Boy, and he calls her Tinya, which I like; the code names are so formal. I'm not enthused with the dumb jock attribute for any Legionnaire (now we have two, Brin and Jo), although Jo is perhaps more impulsive than dense. He does get the last shot in, throwing the rock to ignite the explosion, as well as knocking out the Armorer.

I think you’re right that he’s going to react physically and then let his brain catch up. It makes him distinctive from Supes or Lar, which is something a team of this size needs. The Jo/Tinya interaction is something that I’ve learned more about from this story.

As Jan revives after being captured, he demonstrates how easily he can destroy at least part of the factory by turning it to mercury. His power must have a fairly limited physical range, or he could have destroyed the whole place. Nevertheless, it's his power which creates the set-up to blow the place to pieces. We've seen Jan knock out Daxamites by increasing the lead content in the atmosphere, or change something into inertron. It's a bit of a deus ex machina power, so limiting its physical scope makes sense. His personality often strikes me as too cautious, holding back; he could have ended battles quickly in many cases. However, with a power like that, quite apart from the story considerations, one would do well to exercise caution. It's a trait that would have been strongly conditioned for young Trommites, and it makes sense that such caution would affect his personality.

Levitz does seem to have done a bit with trying to define the range of Jan’s powers. But in the LSV arc, he transformed a large area of air into helium, and at other times it seems his range might be more restricted. I think that’s why he’s shown as being too cautious. If the writer brings him in too early, then every villain is encased in inertron. It lends itself to the sociopathic tendencies I see in these rereads. By sitting back and letting things play out, gives the feeling that Jan simply isn;t terribly connected to the others, in some ways.

So the Sun-Eater factory is destroyed; we have no idea what the Controller was up to. Maybe it just looked like a Sun-Eater, but was an energy source. It's an isolated adventure in an isolated space, with no impact on the Legionnaires' universe, IIRC. At this point, however, readers may wonder if there will be Controller payback for what the Legion has done. After all, the Armorer has lived to tell the tale to his masters.

That’s a good point. Levitz knows what the next instalment of this plot will be. But the reader wouldn’t.. There’s no sense that there will be any repercussions. No Armorer reaching the Controllers and being punished. Interrogated. Perhaps it was Levitz’s intent to have the next part appear out of nowhere. There’s certainly no foreshadowing here.

(And I was alerted to the source of the "Scrofulus" mentions here at LW - although a search only turned up a mention by thoth, I thought there was an entire thread devoted to the term.)

Shockingly underused!

…which gives Pol an opportunity to act calm, competent and level-headed - i.e. be a good candidate to take his departing brother's place.

I had noted the appearance of the students. But you’re absolutely right regarding Pol’s personality here as standing out. Particularly in the same issue as Cos is suggesting leaving.

These two sub-plots I found less interesting due to a personal lack of enthusiasm for Cosmic Boy (just go, already!) …

It does seem to be particularly drawn out. Is it because we’re reading these fortnightly, so it’s fresher in our minds? Is it because in the Adventure days the entire team could be sacked, replaced by villains and then reinstated in a single story? Is it really just that the little teases are taking far too long to go anywhere concrete? Or is it that the days of Avengers and Legion constitution changes having a huge impact are in the past? Dunno smile

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Fat Cramer #951754 06/14/18 05:17 PM
Not much between despair and ecstacy
Baxter # 8

The Sun-Eater planet story concludes with our five lost Legionnaires realizing they have to destroy the entire planet, smashing up a lot of robots, and then finding a way to fulfill their mission while still returning to earth.

It’s a by-the-books story that should have been more exciting and thought-provoking than it was. The potential was there. Last issue, while the natural planet was being devoured by the machines, I thought there might be an opportunity to explore a theme of technology versus the environment. The Legionnaires’ decision to destroy the planet even if they must sacrifice themselves should provoke reactions, reflections, and regrets. But the Legionnaires take it all in stride and engage in petty sniping. Worse, they never consider the possibility that the Controllers might be creating a sun-eater for some other purpose than destroying galaxies. Their myopic view leads them to make a fateful decision that will come back to haunt them.

The story also lacks gravitas because the Legionnaires don’t behave like heroes. Instead, they act like petulant teenagers. Jo again rushes into action without thinking and alerts the planet’s robot guards to the Legionnaires’ presence. Jan and Cham are, for the most part, just there (though Cham does get to use his shape-changing power in a way that brings about the resolution).

Vi and Tinya come to the forefront, once again showing Levitz’s dedication to making the female characters equal to the males; however, he fails to create any depth in their personalities or decisions. Vi never considers alternatives to blow up the planet and herself and her teammates with it. (Maybe being in the sens-tank left her feeling disconnected from her life.) Levitz really works overboard to give Tinya much to do—she figures out the solution to the problem, stops Vi from committing a planetary suicide-murder, and even remembers to kick the Armorer to safety. She’s such a positive force in this story that she reminds me of the trope of characters being portrayed as saints only to be bumped off (e.g., the third season of Downton Abbey, the “Act of God” episode of The Crown). Either Tinya’s doomed or she should run for leader.

So, the main story offers no surprises. The Legionnaires act confident and cocky. There’s no sense that the incredibly high stakes of this story matter to them. It’s just a day at the office.

Of the subplots, I enjoyed the Rokk and Lydda scene the best. In a matter-of-fact manner, Rokk drops a bombshell that he might not return to active duty. At the time, this “revelation” went right past me. Heroes were always threatening to quit super-teams, and it seemed unthinkable that Cosmic Boy would actually leave the Legion. Though he’s rarely been one of the prime movers of the team, he’s always been its lynchpin, its “rock,” appropriately. He was one of the first Legionnaires I saw in the first Legion story I read (Adv. 328), so his central role has always been unquestioned even though he’s easy to take for granted.

However, his decision makes perfect sense. Sometimes, an organization needs a change in leadership to shake things up. I’ve experienced this more than a few times in my career; some changes lead to good things while others prove detrimental. But such a change forces a team to refocus, assess what’s working and what isn’t, and take necessary action. It can also force people to stop taking things (like Rokk) for granted.

The scene also works because of the intimate glimpse into Rokk and Lydda’s relationship. She’s stunned by his announcement but appears supportive. She’s long been accustomed to taking a back seat to his Legion career and even confesses that she thinks the Legion matters more to him than she does. For his part, Rokk initially comes across as condescending (“Which was a very silly way . . .”), but I interpret this as a playful remark—the same as her “Have you lost your mind?” These are two people who know each other very well and show comfort in expressing what’s on their minds.

Elsewhere, the Legion rounds up the villains who escaped from Orando. It’s a largely unnecessary scene—and a wasted one. I’m not clear on if the Legionnaires even know Karate Kid has died. Only Ayla might possess this knowledge, but she was rather busy when KK died and during the aftermath. So, the villains miss a chance to gloat over killing a Legionnaire, and we miss a chance to see their reactions. Instead, the “payoff” of the scene comes in the form of Shvaughn’s tear—but is she crying because Jan is missing or because Wildfire hurt her feelings with his abrasive remark? Either way, maudlin sentimentality doesn’t work in her or the story’s favor.

Another subplot emerges with Laurel Kent being shot by an unseen sniper. It’s fair enough as far as subplots go, but it goes on a bit too long—drawn out by unnecessary exposition from Comet Queen (whose Valley Girl-speak trips me up as a reader. When a scene begins with “the starshine’s integral today,” I wonder if I’ve missed something).

Steve Lightle’s art is good in places but uneven in others. I like his “quiet” panels the best—the Rokk and Lydda scene, the close-ups of Laurel, Pol, and Comet Queen. The action scenes convey the necessary information but come across as harsh and crude. Some of his figures appear stiff, like action figures posing.

Even so, my copies of #7 and #8 are signed by Lightle; he lives in the Kansas City area, and I met him at a convention some years ago.

In doing these re-reads, it’s interesting to pick up on the snails-pace development of the Rokk subplot and other arcs. One of the letters printed in this issue even asks if Hill Street Blues is Levitz’s favorite show. The editorial response acknowledges that HSB is one of “our” favorite shows but suggests that the series’ style is more influence by “director Robert Altman’s use of organized chaos.” Even so, it seems that Levitz is more interested in these developing subplots than in the “main” action stories.

Check out my new Power Club website!

The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that
Fat Cramer #951755 06/14/18 05:52 PM
Originally Posted by Fat Cramer
We see how Tinya manages him, although "helpfully directs his attention" might be a more benevolent description, telling him to pay attenion, what they must do. He, however, directs her in battle: she's the strategist, he's the action man.

Like a good diplomat, she just lets him he think he's directing her. smile

The panel that jumped out at me, regarding how they relate to each other, came at the top of p. 5. Jo's wrist is at such an odd and silly angle. Chalk it up to Lightle awkwardness, perhaps, but Jo could also be trying to show off his muscles for Tinya and doesn't have time to get into a macho pose before the robot collides with him.

Letting the robot smash into him--and telling her to remain in phantom form--is his way of showing off.

I'm not enthused with the dumb jock attribute for any Legionnaire (now we have two, Brin and Jo), although Jo is perhaps more impulsive than dense.

I suppose it could be argued that Jo is a dumb jock, and Brin is just dumb. smile Of the two, though, I'd put my money on Brin. He thinks things through in battle; it's in his personal life that he lacks clues.

As Jan revives after being captured, he demonstrates how easily he can destroy at least part of the factory by turning it to mercury. His power must have a fairly limited physical range, or he could have destroyed the whole place. Nevertheless, it's his power which creates the set-up to blow the place to pieces. We've seen Jan knock out Daxamites by increasing the lead content in the atmosphere, or change something into inertron. It's a bit of a deus ex machina power, so limiting its physical scope makes sense. His personality often strikes me as too cautious, holding back; he could have ended battles quickly in many cases. However, with a power like that, quite apart from the story considerations, one would do well to exercise caution. It's a trait that would have been strongly conditioned for young Trommites, and it makes sense that such caution would affect his personality.

Jan's power is far too ill-defined and convenient in serving the needs of the plot. He pulls off instantaneous transformations as if by magic. However, I like your theory that he is overly cautious because of his upbringing.

(And I was alerted to the source of the "Scrofulus" mentions here at LW - although a search only turned up a mention by thoth, I thought there was an entire thread devoted to the term.)

Try looking up "scorfulus." It seems there are a couple of different spellings. Maybe it's the difference between "damn" and "dang." smile

Originally Posted by thoth
The good news is that Esper Lass was part of this group of villains. . . . Except, Esper Lass is noticeably missing form those captured, and this subplot doesn’t get off the starting block. Lightning Lass says that only Micro Lad is missing before she captures him, so where is Esper Lass? Has she mentally slipped away, removing all traces of herself form the encounter? If, so that’s one villain that’s worth seeing again.

Perhaps the LSVers cannibalized her. How long were they trapped in that bubble?

Sun Emperor (who has already proven he knows how to barbecue a human being): "Okay, who wants a leg?"

Seemingly imbued with Imra’s telepathy and Dawny’s tracking ability, Tinya finds and interrupts Vi.

It was indeed convenient how Tinya knew where to find Vi and what she was up to. But who has time to write a plot that makes sense? We've got to build up the drama of Vi sacrificing herself and others.

. . . except, as I noted, there isn't much drama in this scene or anywhere else in the story. smile

Years, later when I heard about the DnA Legion Lost, I thought about these issues (and the follow up), and my interest plummeted.

It's an apt comparison. DnA really captured the desperation and uncertainty of being lost in an unfamiliar galaxy. Although this story was intended to be much shorter, some of that hopelessness would have helped.

Fat Cramer #951781 06/15/18 05:51 AM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
In a Lost Tales of the Legion I’m wondering if the Lost Legion team could have been kept away to combine both of their stories together, while the main team has to reform without them.

That could have been a shocker - the five return to find their places taken and, barring a Constitutional amendment, have to go off and form their own team. Or take over the Subs. With or without Rokk.

Here, Cos gives a few hints to the reader and brings Lydda into his confidence off panel. I’m not convinced by his “they need something to shake them up—to change things around here” as a decent reason for what he has planned. Considering the length of planning, it’s surely more to do with the life choices of the founders, while enabling a retention of their knowledge within the team?

I did find his "shake them up" comment a bit arrogant. Sure, he's a founder, but hasn't yet been cast as the heart and soul of the Legion (in 5YL).

When the tide turned against the LSV in the opening arc, they really folded quickly. I’d have preferred them to have been an ongoing threat, offering problems relating to their oath. By being beaten so easily, they reduce their threat for future encounters. But considering Starfinger and Mordru under Levitz, perhaps this is an intentional result, ahead of new/revised threats to come.

Good point. You can never have too many villains on the back burner for sub-plots and assorted complications.

The good news is that Esper Lass was part of this group of villains. So, with her captured Mysa can use spells of similarity on the technology to enter limbo, or Brainy might have more luck with the tech, or Imra can pluck the information easily from Esper Lass’s mind in a contest-of-wills subplot. Whichever way it happens, it means that the Lost Legionnaires will be found. Except, Esper Lass is noticeably missing form those captured, and this subplot doesn’t get off the starting block. Lightning Lass says that only Micro Lad is missing before she captures him, so where is Esper Lass? Has she mentally slipped away, removing all traces of herself form the encounter? If, so that’s one villain that’s worth seeing again.

Wow! Major gap in the story which flew right by me! Perhaps having read Zymyr's mind, she's got bigger plans and decided to ditch those LSV losers.

Comic Book Cliché insists that all power plants can be detonated by crossing a couple f wires, that must be no more than a comic book panel apart. Having told us what a mammoth task it is to stop this world, and all of its weapon building factories, it turns out that shutting down the one sun eater and then the control tower they visited will do it. Rather than rescue her colleagues, Vi seems about to blow up the building, herself and them along with it. Seemingly imbued with Imra’s telepathy and Dawny’s tracking ability, Tinya finds and interrupts Vi.

Ah, but should she cut the blue wire or the red wire? That's usually the dilemma in movies. Regarding her willingness to blow everything up, could Vi have a PTSD-related death wish?

There are 15 pages relating to the main plot this issue. About half of them have an appearance by a ACME robot. Having discovered the Suneater, the Legion team destroy that building and then trick the Armorer and destroy the control tower, and then the planet. There’s just not enough meat on the plot to make this any more than an okay (and a bit of a dull main) story.

ACME robots just don't measure up to Computo. Perhaps it's our current age, when we expect robots to have personalities, as well as devious and dire plans for humanity.

Originally Posted by HWW
It’s a by-the-books story that should have been more exciting and thought-provoking than it was. The potential was there. Last issue, while the natural planet was being devoured by the machines, I thought there might be an opportunity to explore a theme of technology versus the environment. The Legionnaires’ decision to destroy the planet even if they must sacrifice themselves should provoke reactions, reflections, and regrets.

True, this could have been a multi-layered story. Fewer robots, more thoughtful reflection panels.

Vi and Tinya come to the forefront, once again showing Levitz’s dedication to making the female characters equal to the males; however, he fails to create any depth in their personalities or decisions. Vi never considers alternatives to blow up the planet and herself and her teammates with it. (Maybe being in the sens-tank left her feeling disconnected from her life.) Levitz really works overboard to give Tinya much to do—she figures out the solution to the problem, stops Vi from committing a planetary suicide-murder, and even remembers to kick the Armorer to safety. She’s such a positive force in this story that she reminds me of the trope of characters being portrayed as saints only to be bumped off (e.g., the third season of Downton Abbey, the “Act of God” episode of The Crown). Either Tinya’s doomed or she should run for leader.

Vi does display a certain fatalism. I don't recall if this continues but will be watching for it. The sens-tank incident would be a good excuse, plot-wise, for her to behave more recklessly. Tinya does shine here, as she has in a number of Levitz stories. I think he likes her - and she does get bumped off eventually. And runs for leader....

Of the subplots, I enjoyed the Rokk and Lydda scene the best. In a matter-of-fact manner, Rokk drops a bombshell that he might not return to active duty. At the time, this “revelation” went right past me. Heroes were always threatening to quit super-teams, and it seemed unthinkable that Cosmic Boy would actually leave the Legion. Though he’s rarely been one of the prime movers of the team, he’s always been its lynchpin, its “rock,” appropriately. He was one of the first Legionnaires I saw in the first Legion story I read (Adv. 328), so his central role has always been unquestioned even though he’s easy to take for granted.

Interesting. It may be my lack of enthusiasm for the character generally, but I didn't have the sense that he was the lynchpin of the Legion until it was drummed into my head in 5YL. However, the roots for that portrayal are certainly there, especially in these scenes in which he's trying to engineer to future of the team.

However, his decision makes perfect sense. Sometimes, an organization needs a change in leadership to shake things up. I’ve experienced this more than a few times in my career; some changes lead to good things while others prove detrimental. But such a change forces a team to refocus, assess what’s working and what isn’t, and take necessary action. It can also force people to stop taking things (like Rokk) for granted.

His decision is rational, but did he discuss it at all with Garth and Imra? I don't recall. It's understandable that they'd be all absorbed with the baby, so he'd keep it to himself (and Wildfire).

The scene also works because of the intimate glimpse into Rokk and Lydda’s relationship. She’s stunned by his announcement but appears supportive. She’s long been accustomed to taking a back seat to his Legion career and even confesses that she thinks the Legion matters more to him than she does. For his part, Rokk initially comes across as condescending (“Which was a very silly way . . .”), but I interpret this as a playful remark—the same as her “Have you lost your mind?” These are two people who know each other very well and show comfort in expressing what’s on their minds.

I'll give the old boy credit that he's thought about the importance of the Legion vs Lydda, and has decided to make time for her by accepting to visit her home. It does portray the real push-and-pull of priorities in any relationship.

Elsewhere, the Legion rounds up the villains who escaped from Orando. It’s a largely unnecessary scene—and a wasted one. I’m not clear on if the Legionnaires even know Karate Kid has died. Only Ayla might possess this knowledge, but she was rather busy when KK died and during the aftermath. So, the villains miss a chance to gloat over killing a Legionnaire, and we miss a chance to see their reactions.

When the reveal of Val's death comes (I'm assuming it's in a near-future issue), it will seem almost like a let-down. Old news for readers.

Instead, the “payoff” of the scene comes in the form of Shvaughn’s tear—but is she crying because Jan is missing or because Wildfire hurt her feelings with his abrasive remark? Either way, maudlin sentimentality doesn’t work in her or the story’s favor.

She has been shedding a lot of tears over him. He hasn't even had a thought balloon about her.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
Fat Cramer #951801 06/15/18 12:39 PM
A few additional thoughts on Rokk's impending retirement.

I realized, after reading FC's post, that in referring to Rokk as the "lynchpin" of the Legion, I may have been imposing later interpretations of the character on his present circumstances. I may also be drawing assumptions from my own interpretation of the character. Certainly, Rokk has rarely been portrayed as central to the Legion--and much of his value to the team rests on his historical roles--being a founder and the leader for the first two years (per the Sourcebook). So, in some case, Rokk may have spent much of his Legion career resting on his laurels (but not on Laurel--she wouldn't like that).

As far as his personality goes, Rokk has also been a difficult character to pin down. In most stories, he's just there doing his job. There's nothing wrong with that--there is a place in heaven/the afterlife/Myla's dimension for those who quietly do their jobs and bring little attention to themselves. However, when Rokk has been featured, it's not been in the best of light: manhandling women and behaving like a pompous jerk. This is a shame because his power of magnetism is potentially one of the Legion's most exciting and powerful abilities. But, until Levitz, he's rarely displayed a dynamic personality to go along with that power.

Levitz has also made an effort to subtly position Rokk in a more central role. The writer has emphasized Rokk's connections to Garth and Imra (who, I think most would agree, have always been central to the Legion). Rokk was the first Legionnaire they told about their impending parenthood. He remained in contact with them during the LSV war. By association, he has been positioned as one of the most experienced and senior Legionnaires--someone who is primed for an advisory role.

His role as a founder should not be downplayed, however. There is something to be said for having a "figurehead" or "big brother" figure to quietly give assent to the Legion's actions by virtue of his presence. I've learned a lot by watching "The Crown" and its depiction of the early days of Queen Elizabeth II's reign. Elizabeth is counseled by her grandmother, Queen Mary, that the sovereign should not express an opinion because once having done so, she's taken a position; it was better, Queen Mary argued, for the sovereign to remain neutral, to wave, and to maintain an image that ordinary people can aspire to. Of course, Rokk is not a sovereign, and this advice need not apply to all leaders everywhere. Still, there is great value in leading quietly from behind--in letting the Jos and Jans and Drakes compete for leadership and attention. Too many cooks spoil the broth. A quiet leader can season the broth without adding too many main ingredients.

Or maybe that's how Rokk sees himself. Maybe he sees his role in the Legion very differently than others see it. In his depictions, even under Levitz, he comes off as a tad full of himself and imagining himself to be in charge (certainly in his relationship with Lydda). Perhaps this is a personality trait he's developed only lately as he's matured and gotten to know himself better. In leading the Subs during the Tales adventure, he truly was in charge and didn't have to compete with those who possess stronger powers and personalities. The death of his mother may also have signaled a shift in priorities. The death of a parent often causes one to reassess his/her role in the family.

Whatever the internal dynamics, his retirement truly is significant for the Legion--particularly as it will come in conjunction with Garth and Imra's retirement. The parents are leaving the nest, and the children are on their own--at least until Imra returns.

Fat Cramer #951833 06/16/18 04:16 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
ACME robots just don't measure up to Computo. Perhaps it's our current age, when we expect robots to have personalities, as well as devious and dire plans for humanity.

Bob the Robot: So my cousin Phil...
Bill to Robot: The one from Universe 247?
Bob the Robot: Yeah. So, he's joined this robot revolution called Robotica. See the galaxy, get spending money for upgrades.
Bill to Robot: Sounds great.
Bob the Robot: He says that as soon as they can convert a Cosmic Treadmill they'll be able to recruit. I've a Omnicon interview next week for the waiting list.
> Button flashes above them<
Bill to Robot: Here we go. It's the Armourer again, wanting us to crush puny fleshlings or something...right... into character...
Both: Whirr! Buzz! Destroy! Whirr! Buzz! Destroy! ...

She has been shedding a lot of tears over him. He hasn't even had a thought balloon about her.

More points for sociopath Jan. smile

Ah, but should she cut the blue wire or the red wire? That's usually the dilemma in movies. Regarding her willingness to blow everything up, could Vi have a PTSD-related death wish?

I'll be rereading the scenes where she's cutting bomb wires on Webers World more closely in future. Just for that whispered "ah, stuff it" dialogue before she cuts one at random.

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Fat Cramer #952081 06/20/18 03:40 AM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Tales #321 Red Dawn or Into Exile by Mindy Newell & Paul Levitz, art by Dan Jurgens & Karl Kesel, Colors by Carl Gaford, Letters by Ben Oda

[Linked Image]

Dawnstar heads to a planet, followed by Brainiac 5, where she expects to find the lost Legionnaires. Brainy's ship has problems as he passes by a nebula. As Dawnstar admires the beauty of the primitive planet, she is shot by arrows. Brainy glides his now powerless ship to a landing.

A disoriented Dawnstar revives, surrounded by warriors speaking in an unknown language. One thinks she may be a messenger of Kol.

At Legion HQ, Nura mulls over the low active membership. Thom tries to cheer her up but angers her when he suggests they return to their Ventura vacation.

On the planet, priests of Kol perform their rites. One of them, Jhodan, prepares for a journey and calls his student novitiate, Ina, to join him. Brainy is baffled by the absence of electrical signals, then remembers Dawnstar is missing. He sets out to find her, is amazed to see 24th century Terran wheat growing, then is attacked by spears and arrows; his forcefield and flight ring do not work. Injured, he evades his pursuers by jumping into water.

On Medicus One, Dr. Gym'll completes Imra's post-partum exam and tells her she should stay home with the baby. She seems to be considering that.

Dawnstar is captive in a cage, tormented by her captors and praying that Wildfire will rescue her.

Jhodan and Ina ride through the countryside. He condemns people as sinners and refuses the flowers Ina wants to accept as their request for forgiveness.

Brainy is injured, weak and helpless as he tries to navigate the forest; he faints as a shadow approaches. He awakens the next morning to find that a youth has been taking care of him. The young man speaks English (which disappeared from use in the U.P. centuries before). Calling himself Spliff, he babbles like a nature child but is angered when Brainy touches him.

Ina enters the cave, commanding all to prepare for the priest. Jhodan enters, sees Dawnstar and is entranced by her. Jhodan commands that she be released into his custody, to be taken to face the wrath of Kol. He threatens her, although she does not understand, but silently thinks that he could not harm him. She, in turn, feels safe with him.

In the company of Spliff, Brainy falls asleep, wondering how he can find Dawnstar. Jhodan tells Dawnstar that, although it is wrong, he will protect her. Ina is jealous.

Comments:
This is a rather unusual Legion story: focus on two characters, very limited sub-plots, fairly detailed world-building. Despite being a set-up story, it captures my interest, for a number of reasons:

Technology vs primitive society: usually the story centers on the effects of high tech coming to primitive society. Here it's the reverse: the technologically advanced are thrown into the primitive society, with none of their gadgets functional. The primitives have the upper hand, at least for this issue.

Religion: We haven't seen too much of religion in the Legionverse so far. This story develops a harsh and fear-based religion worshipping some figure named Kol. It's quite different from the spirituality of the rather-less primitive Starhaven. The priests' chant is a mixture of various old Earth prayers. There's a surprising factor that women appear to have equal access to the priesthood as men, not something we have encountered often on Earth.

World-building: It's sort of classic primitive society, with a wild tribe hunting whatever they can to eat, and a more advanced and comfortable temple-based priesthood. The character Spliff suggests that there's some freedom of movement and lifestyle for individuals. Add in the mystery of the 24th century Earth connection and we have a fairly detailed world, given the few pages available to develop it.

Character interactions: They may be somewhat stock characters, but the residents of Kol's planet are realistic. The tribesmen are aggressive, but fear retribution. They dispute among themselves what to do with the mysterious creature they have captured. Their children taunt Dawnstar like normal children and are reprimanded, not for cruelty but fear of acquiring evil. Jhodan is a devoted priest, severe in his devotion to the rules of his religion. He's swept off his feet just like a character in a romantic drama and immediately begins the internal struggle between desire and religious devotion. Ina is the eager student, perhaps devoted more to Jhodan than Kol. She's a young girl with a serious crush on her teacher and seethes with teenage jealousy regarding Dawnstar. Spliff is the fool; like most fools in stories, one suspects that he knows more than it appears.

Dawnstar's first thought on reviving is that Wildfire is there and when she realizes her situation, she prays for Wildfire to rescue her - not Brainiac 5, who came to the planet with her. This says a lot about the co-dependance of Dawnstar and Wildfire.

Brainy's at his best here, in terms of character. He's using his big brain, but he isn't displaying the arrogance which has arisen in the past. He's annoyed with Dawnstar for flying straight down to the planet, but doesn't condemn or blame her and he doesn't insult Spliff's intelligence.

Mystery: Many questions are raised. Why did Dawnstar think she had found the lost Legionnaires? Was it the nebula which caused the failure of her power and Brainy's ship, or was that misdirection? What's the connection with 24th century Earth and this planet? Why is this planet unknown and uncharted? Could the lost Legionnaires be here after all, having gone through a portal to an alternate Earth which is this planet? Is Dawnstar falling for Jhodan?

Legionnaires in unusual environments: This is a big change from battling robots; even if they don't know what's going on, Legionnaires are trained to operate in a high-tech society. Here they face unknown language, unfamiliar society, unlcear motives, no technology (including their own), in addition to hostility. It's a different sort of challenge and I enjoyed following Brainy's attempts to reason with the situation while accepting that he must go with the flow.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
Fat Cramer #952110 06/20/18 11:05 AM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
TotLoSH 321

I think this three parter is also Mindy Newell’s first of this length, following some shorter stories and dialoguing Levitz. It’s not one I had the issues of at the time, with #323 being bought some years later. I was expecting that issue to tie up any loose ends with the story. Instead, all three issues were also supposed to be the set up for a sequel that never came to pass.

I don’t remember really feeling that the story itself desperately begged for a sequel. That’s not to necessarily say that the story didn’t have any suspense or interest. Just that it was able to stand as something self-contained. In later days, characters would be torn down, with no resolution as creators moved on. Any deconstruction would end up as simply destruction. Newell’s tale, that creates insight by building on characters, while continuing the world building of Levitz and Giffen should make for an interesting reread.

The reason for putting the above first in the review is that I later read something that made it seem that the background to this story was hugely mysterious, when I wasn’t carried away with it to the same degree. It’s something that’s stuck in my mind, and is probably down to the way a single article was written, rather than anything from the creators. smile We’re also not far from the Baxter LSV whose villainous oaths turned out to be hyperbole, despite numerous opportunities. So, I’m interested to look at just how mysterious the mystery of Kol is too.

Jurgens’ cover goes much further than a Legionnaire in distress, and past damsel, with painted on costume, in peril too. It wouldn’t look out of place on a medieval woodcut showing the torture of a fallen angel in that martyr fixation they had. It has a more primal punch, as a result, which must have given some mixed feelings at the time. The polar backdrop, that I don’t think appears inside, adds even more to Dawnstar’s isolation and danger.

The story opens with a surprise. Certain plots in the Tales book have to have a holding pattern in order to fit within what we’re seeing of the Baxter book. But Dawnstar says she has found the Legionnaires. We’re nicely reminded that Dawny’s powers have been amplified by Brainy in the dialogue, just before we see him in a shuttle that’s having some problems.

Dawny races down to the planet’s surface, leaving Brainy behind. Even Brainy mentally admonishes her for leaving him behind. But her characterisation, and the story supports this. Brainy’s also thinks that she’s becoming as impetuous as Wildfire. Considering they work as a team, and that they spend so much time together off duty, it’s not surprising that Drake has rubbed off on her. Adding Dawny’s need to find the Legionnaires, which she sees as the purpose of someone with her powers, the effects of Brainy’s amplification, which have made Dawny feel unusual, and it’s fitting that she flies ahead.

Dawny’s feeling of belonging on this world are sharply contrasted by the nature of the first people she sees. Considering the height she’s flying at, it’s not likely that she would be shot down in the way she’s shown here. Perhaps she’s flown down to the people she’s just spotted. It’s not clear if her flight ring was of any use in breaking her fall, as she plummets from quite a height into the mountains.

Despite clearly being human, the locals are looking to kill and feed her to their children. Dawny can’t understand their intentions. It may be that it’s another sign that technology has failed, with her translator now inoperable, or if the local dialect is beyond its capacity.

Things don’t go too well for Brainy either. Normally, you’d see a heroic attempt to survive a crashing shuttle, to increase story tension, but Brainy manages to glide it in without any problems. He falls into an analytical moved, trying to figure out his problem, before realising that he should be acting and not thinking. It’s interesting watching Brainy switch between thinking and acting. It doesn’t take overly long for his to be shown where his priorities should be. Even if he is having to talk to himself too much, for the readers benefit. Brainy also encounters hostile locals and narrowly avoids being speared. Considering the superhuman accuracy of the marksmen who shot Dawny, Brainy should have been hit here. Instead, he’s injured in a jump while being pursued.

I’d have thought he would have tried his flight ring first to find Dawny. It would have robbed the reader of the surprise that his Coluan force belt doesn’t work either. Realising that he’s not the fittest, and injured from the chase, Brainy finds himself reduced to saying “Gotta.” Perhaps the chase would have been shorter, if Brainy didn’t keep talking out loud, presumably attracting his pursuers smile

The third main strand of the Kol adventure concerns Jhodan and his disciple of a year, Ina. Jhodan is a priest in the service of Kol. He is to leave his temple, and Ina looks for an opportunity to be seen in his eyes as something more than a pupil or a girl in his eyes. The order that Johdan belongs to is a mish mash of Earth cultures, religions and traditions. Perhaps something that was pieced together from the planet’s first settlers and then enforced, or something that’s simply been distorted over half a millennium. It’s followed with strict obeyance by both the order and the locals. Jhodan is seen by the people as representing the arms of Kol. They bow before the travellers. Those of his order see themselves as vessels of Kol, holding no privileges. But you wonder how often this is taken advantage of. They travel to pass the judgment of Kol on the people. We find out a lot about this because Jhodan’s disciple is a really poor one. It doesn’t seem that she’s been able to adopt many of the key principles that Jhodan wanted to teach her. I’m surprised she got this far as his pupil, considering how harsh the order and the world seem.

Elsewhere, Dawnstar is kept sitting in mud in a tiny cage, her wings bolted and her wounds untended. She is concerned only with staying alive, as the children of a tribe taunt her. They see her as something to kill, and probably as food. Since they are all form the same genetic stock, cannibalism doesn’t seem to be beyond him. Their elder, referred to as taking a lot of drugs, blames her for the children’s taunting. It’s harrowing material, not least because it’s touches on so many real-world precedents. Newell captures this very well.

Brainy doesn’t seem to have lasted a day. It’s unlikely that he wouldn’t have taken a survival course, considering the situations the Legion gets into. But I don’t think it’s come up outside something like the RPG. Unlike the rest of the locals, he’s found by Spliff (another drug reference) who tends for him during the night and feeds him. Brainy discovers that his new friend may be schizophrenic, but also learns that he speaks an old Earth language, that he dreamt of Dawny’s arrival (possibly misremembering seeing her), and travels tending the animals in Kol’s universe.

Jhodan and Dawny are both smitten kittens at first sight, regardless of the situation. Dawnstar’s ancestors are from North America, where Johdan’s people are also from, perhaps providing some reason for her sudden attraction. Jhodan fights what he thinks is a spell, but his words and tone betray his feelings. They certainly do to Ina, who sees Dawnstar as a threat to be disposed of. Jhodan seems to have another choice to make. He’s only moving Dawnstar to face the wrath of Kol, not exactly delivering her form the tribe that saw her as dinner.

The pacing is fine in the story. I note that Levitz got a plot assist. We get a vengeful cliffhanger, that had been built up to in the characters’ personalities. Brainy is a bit easily taken down by his environment. Even if we do think he’s spending all of his time in the lab. Something else else simple like some infection would have worked nicely. Something else else he couldn’t analyse without his equipment working.
The world of Kol is well realised. Spliff is a bit convenient and Ina is a really poor student (as she’s the exposition point for the reader). The harsh brutality of the people and their traditions comes across very strongly. Whatever mysteries lying behind the world don’t get in the way of the characterisation and central plot.

I am hoping that Dawnstar comes out of this story well. She gets thumped around a lot in the stories. Add in being joined at the hip to Wildfire and the plot driven problems with her powers, and she has a hard time of it.

Back at Legion HQ, Dreamy thinks over the short-numbered Legion once again. “Maybe the universe is getting too big for the Legion as it’s set up now” certainly adds a different spin on Cosmic Boy’s plans. That makes me think more of Legion World than the 25 limit currently on the team due to tax purposes. Nura weighs this with Thom’s counter of “we can’t allow anyone who calls himself a hero to join.” Wildfire would be the first to point out that this is why the Legion has an Academy. To be able to bring in recruits after they have had suitable training.

Since the start of Baxter the main team has stopped Micro Lad, but not prevented his escape; stopped a Takron Galtos riot, but not the escape of many prisoners; Failed to prevent theft of Powerspheres and the warping away of Orando; Stopped fleeing LSV members both in ship and in returning bubble (surely they would have been told by them about KK?)

In Tales, they have failed to prevent the escape of Ontiir, although they have set back Dark Circle plans; Cos and the Subs hampered a smuggling ring; a revolution was stopped on Talok VIII (although Dreamy hadn’t wanted to send anyone); a burglar escaped Legion HQ without taking what he sought.

It’s just as well for Dreamy and the others that nothing major has happened in all those issues, or they’d have found out just how short staffed they really were. While it’s something I’ve only noticed in this reread, the real moment when members should have been considered was in #318. Cos could have gone off to talk to Wildfire in that issue, while Dreamy and the others looked to start recruiting then.

Incidentally, with the team so scattered, there are all sorts of Lost Tales that could have worked with a major incident keeping the team apart, only to reform at the end.

Thom and Nura’s relationship gets what seems like a repeat scene. Like so many relationships under Levitz, it works on a number of levels. Thom seems to be supportive of Nura, trying to cheer her up and complimenting her. But he’s doing it as much, if not more, for himself. Since Nura’s been leader (or now acting leader), he should have learned that this is completely the wrong approach. Nura brushes him off and leaves the mission monitor room. It’s a long arc, but there will be more on how things turn out there.

The only other subplot concerns a post-natal exam for Imra. Handy having a nurse writing the story. It also gets in a bit of gender equality too. Ironically, considering the founders’ plans, it’s not active duty that they’re thinking of returning to. The threat of Garth’s cooking is greater than he faced when dealing with Starfinger on another of the many satellite trips the Ranzz’s go on. There’s not really much going on in this page, but it’s always nice to check in on the JLA satellite in the 30th century.

This issue continues the ads for Universe: The Crisis on Infinite Earths as well as the DC RPG. IN the letter column, we learn that Alan Moore has a fondness for old Legion tales.

The Mystery of Kol:
The planet is in uncharted deep space. Despite flying there, Brainy can’t recognise the stars
The planet, or a nearby nebula, fool’s Dawnstar’s powers, while in space, into thinking she has located people she knows well. The planet, or a nearby nebula, also disrupts technology, such as a Legion cruiser. The effects include energy dampening and possibly more. Specifically calibrated hand-held sensors don’t work. The effect is sufficient to disable Coluan technology and Legion flight rings.
The planet has Terran wheat crops. The specific wheat they have was developed by botanical geneticists in the late 24th century. Their language is English and specifically North American. Dawnstar’s ancestors are also from North America, perhaps providing some reason for her sudden attraction.
Dawnstar’s people left Earth at some point, and perhaps the people of Kol did likewise.
The culture on Kol is derived from a number of current Earth religions, which have survived in a combined form.
Kol is considered to be a “he”
Jhodan is referred to as one of the Arms of the core. This is presumably a reference to a ship’s core. Perhaps the power derived from the core of the spacecraft that brought them to the world is still respected as a source of life, and the basis for their religion. It would follow that either the ship was called Kol, the captain was, or that they came from Sol and the name has just been distorted over time.

Leia Cat’s review:-
[p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’--------‘’’’’’’’’?

Elsewhere in the DCU / li’l thoth’s comics
There wasn’t any real way of picking and choosing what I’d get at near the bottom of the newsagent’s shelves. I guess they got in a few extra copies of Superman, Batman and Justice League. (I only got Action this month) Beyond that, it could have been anything. It was DC though. I don’t remember ever having to go through Marvel titles to get to the DC ones. Perhaps they were kept somewhere else. Perhaps close by, but I never went through them.

This month was still very early on for my DC reading, and I got some very different titles this month. 9 titles in all.

Atari Force 15 has a cover of Dart about to be caught by giant bugs! This issue was a big hit with me. For a series I think of as being by Conway and Garcia-Lopez, it’s Baron and Barreto that got me into it. I reread this one a lot, and I’d recommend it now.

Conway did write Firestorm 33 that saw ‘stormy go up against some flame-based terrorists with Killer Frost and Plastique waiting in the wings. Firestorm appeared in my first US style DC comic, and this was a very early issue for me.

JLA 236 spotlighted Gypsy and completed their adventure against the Cadre.

Swamp Thing 34 is the story of Alec and Abbey making love. Not quite so simple since Alec is no longer human. Li’l thoth wasn’t ready for this one and wouldn’t be for quite some time. Not due to any explicitness. But because the themes of maturity and love ran deeply through the issue. As far as comics goes, this issue is still so very far ahead. Superb writing by Moore with art from Bissette and Totleben. It was a lonely Swamp Thing issue for a long time.

Conqueror of the Barren Earth #2 – a tale of warriors beneath a red sun, mixing sci fi with a fantasy setting. Our protagonist has been captured and the story is essentially her slowly changing her mind regarding the man she had viewed as a despotic overlord. Li’l thoth may have been distracted by our heroine in her bikini top. But there was always something very uncomfortable about that relationship. Looking at it now, and you can see the Stockholm syndrome kick in as the main character goes through lots of abuse before siding with the man she originally hated. Icky!

Although I didn’t get this one, Dan Jurgens was also drawing Teen Titans #6 in addition to the Legion. I mentioned his pinch hitting. That issue would have been after Perez but before Garcia Lopez. I wonder how much time he had to do that one.

I didn’t get the zombie hand coming out of the earth in Flash 343 either. I guess I didn’t see this one, or it was just before I was watching horror movies.

More Ambush Bug in Action 565. Had Giffen not quit the Legion, would we have seen so much of the Bug? We travel to an alternate universe where Giffen is living in a mansion off of his Legion royalties, but is forever haunted… tune into Forever Ambush…

Rich Buckler drew the Tales of the Titans issue #51. This would be a very early Titans comic for me off the stands. It has the first appearance of Azrael! This sequence has a lot of similarities to an opening one from Hellboy. Yet one became a huge success, while Hellboy…no…wait…

I would pick up a lot of the earlier Wolfman & Perez issues on holiday, where I was spoiled rotten when it came to going to every newsagent in town. That’s what really cemented me as a DC reader. I think my parents quietly got another case, just so I could take my haul back with me. Lots of JLA issues too.

The All-Star Squadron was the go to place for DC characters. Issue 43 had more of Ted Knight and some new villains as Thomas was looking to shake up the title a bit.

Who’s Who 1 came out this month. It was a great time to learn about everything related to DC. I think I must have started going to the city comic shops not long after this. I doubt the local shop stocked Who’s Who, and I might have picked up this one no more than a few months after it came out. I’d get them all pretty much at the time of publication, showing just how diligent my dad was in taking me. smile

Fat Cramer #952149 06/21/18 05:45 AM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Originally Posted by thoth lad
I don’t remember really feeling that the story itself desperately begged for a sequel. That’s not to necessarily say that the story didn’t have any suspense or interest. Just that it was able to stand as something self-contained.

At the end, I would have liked to know more and have a follow-up, but as you say, a sequel wasn't desperately needed. It works just as well if the readers fill in the gaps themselves.

Dawny races down to the planet’s surface, leaving Brainy behind. Even Brainy mentally admonishes her for leaving him behind. But her characterisation, and the story supports this. Brainy’s also thinks that she’s becoming as impetuous as Wildfire. Considering they work as a team, and that they spend so much time together off duty, it’s not surprising that Drake has rubbed off on her. Adding Dawny’s need to find the Legionnaires, which she sees as the purpose of someone with her powers, the effects of Brainy’s amplification, which have made Dawny feel unusual, and it’s fitting that she flies ahead.

She's often demonstrated a desire to prove her ability, as well. Probably someone who doesn't take failure too well, so her eagerness is understandable, especially given the factors you listed.

Despite clearly being human, the locals are looking to kill and feed her to their children. Dawny can’t understand their intentions. It may be that it’s another sign that technology has failed, with her translator now inoperable, or if the local dialect is beyond its capacity.

We get confirmation later in the Brainy scenes that tech isn't working; at this point, it isn't clear. But we did see a failure of the translator in last week's issue, with the lost Legionnaires trying to understand the Armorer.

Considering the superhuman accuracy of the marksmen who shot Dawny, Brainy should have been hit here. Instead, he’s injured in a jump while being pursued.

Hmmm.... hadn't thought of that, but maybe it was a different group of less-skilled hunters.

Unlike the rest of the locals, he’s found by Spliff (another drug reference) who tends for him during the night and feeds him.

Missed the drug reference, but he's certainly the most druggy character in the story.

Jhodan and Dawny are both smitten kittens at first sight, regardless of the situation. Dawnstar’s ancestors are from North America, where Johdan’s people are also from, perhaps providing some reason for her sudden attraction.

Screaming for connection! Is this a lost tribe of Starhaven and was Dawnstar tuning into that sort of vibe as she approached the planet?

Back at Legion HQ, Dreamy thinks over the short-numbered Legion once again. “Maybe the universe is getting too big for the Legion as it’s set up now” certainly adds a different spin on Cosmic Boy’s plans. That makes me think more of Legion World than the 25 limit currently on the team due to tax purposes. Nura weighs this with Thom’s counter of “we can’t allow anyone who calls himself a hero to join.” Wildfire would be the first to point out that this is why the Legion has an Academy. To be able to bring in recruits after they have had suitable training.

Doesn't say much for Academy training that nobody is up to snuff yet!

Thom and Nura’s relationship gets what seems like a repeat scene. Like so many relationships under Levitz, it works on a number of levels. Thom seems to be supportive of Nura, trying to cheer her up and complimenting her. But he’s doing it as much, if not more, for himself. Since Nura’s been leader (or now acting leader), he should have learned that this is completely the wrong approach. Nura brushes him off and leaves the mission monitor room. It’s a long arc, but there will be more on how things turn out there.

This could be the moment when the relationship starts to collapse; before it was just on hold while she tended to leadership duties, but now there's a breach in how they view their roles. I had thought of this as just retreading the same old "we're understaffed" line, but you highlight the relationship aspect.

The Mystery of Kol:
The planet is in uncharted deep space. Despite flying there, Brainy can’t recognise the stars
The planet, or a nearby nebula, fool’s Dawnstar’s powers, while in space, into thinking she has located people she knows well. The planet, or a nearby nebula, also disrupts technology, such as a Legion cruiser. The effects include energy dampening and possibly more.

Nebulae are such handy things to generate mystery and confusion!

Jhodan is referred to as one of the Arms of the core. This is presumably a reference to a ship’s core. Perhaps the power derived from the core of the spacecraft that brought them to the world is still respected as a source of life, and the basis for their religion. It would follow that either the ship was called Kol, the captain was, or that they came from Sol and the name has just been distorted over time.

Ah, ship's core! I was wondering what the core reference could be, in terms of the original settlers.

Leia Cat’s review:-
[p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’p’--------‘’’’’’’’’?

Comet agrees.

Elsewhere in the DCU / li’l thoth’s comics
This month was still very early on for my DC reading, and I got some very different titles this month. 9 titles in all.

Are you storing your comics in chronological order, regardless of title, or do you just have a super-cataloguing system? I enjoy this "look back at comic history" section you've added.

More Ambush Bug in Action 565. Had Giffen not quit the Legion, would we have seen so much of the Bug? We travel to an alternate universe where Giffen is living in a mansion off of his Legion royalties, but is forever haunted… tune into Forever Ambush…

That's one I haven't read but would like to.

I would pick up a lot of the earlier Wolfman & Perez issues on holiday, where I was spoiled rotten when it came to going to every newsagent in town. That’s what really cemented me as a DC reader. I think my parents quietly got another case, just so I could take my haul back with me. Lots of JLA issues too.

Enlightened parents!

Holy Cats of Egypt!
Fat Cramer #952321 06/23/18 05:12 PM
Tales 321

It's taken me awhile to process how I feel about this issue. I did not appreciate its considerable strengths until I read FC and thoth's reviews. To me, it reads like a mishmash of stories and tropes. Some of this may be due to the difference between Mindy Newell's writing style and Levitz's (how odd to read a Legion story during this era with Levitz credited only with "plot assist"). It could also be that the tone is jarringly different from the other Legion stories of this time. I just took Levitz to task for writing a story in which seven lost Legionnaires display no emotion whatsoever over their predicament; here, we've got two more lost Legionnaires, and Dawnstar really expresses her feelings over the matter--even going so far as to say she wants her mother. She also expects Wildfire, who is not even on this mission, to rescue her. I'm not sure if her depiction in this story makes her vulnerable or weak--a bit of both, I imagine.

"Into Exile" certainly thrusts our heroes and the reader out of our comfort zones. It all begins with that cover, which depicts Dawny--as thoth noted--like a medieval religious figure pierced with arrows, reaching out to an unseen presence (God, perhaps). She resembles a fallen angel, which ties in nicely with the religious theme of the story. Dawny and Brainy find themselves trapped on a planet where the culture's dominant religious order exerts harsh control over its subjects. Sin--even the sin of being late to a gathering--is severely punished. This culture is quite at odds with Dawnstar's initial impression of the place. She flies over a beautiful mountainside and walled-in city and comments how serene everything looks. Her impression is shattered when the arrows come flying and strike her in the shoulder, leg, and wing.

The Legion and/or the UP apparently has no prime directive regarding first contacts. Dawny never considers how the appearance of a winged, flying woman might be perceived by the locals. In a twist, the locals do not regard her as a goddess or demon--only as an animal to be used for food (though they do believe their children will "catch" evil from her). Enter Jhodan--the leading man of the tale--who releases Dawny from her cage and acts as smitten with her as she is with him, to the obvious jealousy of Ina, his young novitiate.

Meanwhile, Brainy--following Dawnstar to the planet--finds himself equally marooned with none of his gadgets--ship, force field belt, flight ring--working. He remains analytical as he eludes capture, passes out, and revives to find he has been cared for by a local man with the odd name of Spliff. It's a good thing Spliff captures and cooks an animal, as he saves Brainy from having to take a life. The first time Brainy exhibits any emotion in this story is when he seems delighted at the prospect of dinner. The second time is when he loses his temper and somehow thinks Spliff is responsible for Dawnstar's disappearance. It's certainly odd to see Brainy play the role of the action hero: escaping spear-wielding locals, running and jumping over terrain, and slogging his way through a body of water. He mentions that he should have taken a survival course, but he acquits himself well and learns some valuable clues about his and Dawnstar's whereabouts.

So, the story reads to me like an episode of Star Trek or any number of mainstream science fiction TV series. Our heroes from an advanced culture find themselves at the mercy of a primitive culture that turns out to be much more than they bargained for. In particular, this issue echoes the ST episode, "The Omega Glory," in which Kirk and company become trapped on a world modeled after the then current tensions between the US (Yangs) and USSR (Kohms). Here we learn that the mysterious world has Terran wheat and an earth language that dates back 600 years. The planet somehow renders technology useless and may exert an influence over people's emotions (which might explain the trope of Dawny and Jhodan instantly falling head over heals for each other). So, there are plenty of mysteries to keep us going.

However, none of this seems to hang together smoothly. We've got themes of romance, religion, ties to earth, and mental illness and/or drug use--but any one of these could be the central focus of the story, especially if Newell is going to thrust the Legionnaires (and us) into uncharted territory. Whereas Levitz mines the Legion's rogues gallery and history for inspiration, Newell seems determined to give our heroes something entirely different to do. Good for her. I just wish it didn't feel as if the Legionnaires had been thrust into someone else's story.

He Who Wanders #952339 06/24/18 04:20 AM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Originally Posted by He Who Wanders

The Legion and/or the UP apparently has no prime directive regarding first contacts. Dawny never considers how the appearance of a winged, flying woman might be perceived by the locals.

That's a good point, that Legionnaires just barge into any planet as they see fit. Dawnstar's lack of caution may be explained by her exuberance with the thought of finding the lost Legionnaires and/or the effects of Brainy's power boost. However, she doesn't give a thought to what or who she might encounter on the surface.

So, the story reads to me like an episode of Star Trek or any number of mainstream science fiction TV series. Our heroes from an advanced culture find themselves at the mercy of a primitive culture that turns out to be much more than they bargained for. In particular, this issue echoes the ST episode, "The Omega Glory," in which Kirk and company become trapped on a world modeled after the then current tensions between the US (Yangs) and USSR (Kohms). Here we learn that the mysterious world has Terran wheat and an earth language that dates back 600 years. The planet somehow renders technology useless and may exert an influence over people's emotions (which might explain the trope of Dawny and Jhodan instantly falling head over heals for each other). So, there are plenty of mysteries to keep us going.

Hadn't thought about the planet itself affecting emotions. Just checked the synopsis for "The Omega Glory" and there certainly are a lot of similarities!

However, none of this seems to hang together smoothly. We've got themes of romance, religion, ties to earth, and mental illness and/or drug use--but any one of these could be the central focus of the story, especially if Newell is going to thrust the Legionnaires (and us) into uncharted territory. Whereas Levitz mines the Legion's rogues gallery and history for inspiration, Newell seems determined to give our heroes something entirely different to do. Good for her. I just wish it didn't feel as if the Legionnaires had been thrust into someone else's story.

I think you hit on the aspect that makes this story a bit odd - that it's not entirely the Legionnaires' story. It's almost like a cross-over, with Dawny and Brainy as guest stars.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
Fat Cramer #952342 06/24/18 04:58 AM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Comments

Despite being a set-up story, it captures my interest, for a number of reasons:…Technology vs primitive society…The primitives have the upper hand, at least for this issue…We haven't seen too much of religion in the Legionverse so far…There's a surprising factor that women appear to have equal access to the priesthood as men, not something we have encountered often on Earth…World-building: …Add in the mystery of the 24th century Earth connection and we have a fairly detailed world, given the few pages available to develop it…but the residents of Kol's planet are realistic.

I agree that there’s a different focus in this tale. Having only two Legionniares to focus on gives additional time to develop other areas. Levitz hand on the plot assist means that wider Legion subplots leep the main story anchored.

Dawnstar's first thought on reviving is that Wildfire is there and when she realizes her situation, she prays for Wildfire to rescue her - not Brainiac 5, who came to the planet with her. This says a lot about the co-dependance of Dawnstar and Wildfire.

Wildfire as romantic as well as work partner and friend did come across strongly here. She knows that Wildfire won’t leave a stone unturned or unblasted until he finds her. He feels at least as strongly.

Brainy's at his best here, in terms of character. He's using his big brain, but he isn't displaying the arrogance which has arisen in the past. He's annoyed with Dawnstar for flying straight down to the planet, but doesn't condemn or blame her and he doesn't insult Spliff's intelligence.

Good point about Brainy’s approach to others. I think he’s at his best when he has questions that have interested his curiosity.

Mystery: Many questions are raised. Why did Dawnstar think she had found the lost Legionnaires?

This is one I’d expect to get answered. It’s the sole reason for Brainy and Dawnstar’s arrival on the planet. The story loses some credibility if it’s just a writing fudge to put them there.

Is Dawnstar falling for Jhodan?

[sing song voice] Smitten…they’re smitten kittens… [/sing song voice]

Legionnaires in unusual environments: This is a big change from battling robots…

Lost Tale:-

Jhodan: And now you will face the Core! >pulls open curtains with dramatic flourish<
CLUNK! CLUNK! CLUNK!
Brainy: Hmmm… ACME-bots… guarding an energy sphere that seems to be powering all those portals.
Dawny: Look Brainy! Each of the portals has a planet symbol above it… and there’s Earth!
CLUNK! CLUNK! CLUNK! The ACME-Bots approach, only to be clattered into by another robot thrown from behind them.
Jo: Hi guys! I guess we stepped through the wrong portal in the Baxter book.
Dawny: Ha! I was right. The missing Legionnaires were on this planet. Jhodan? >smitten kitten eyes< Will you return with me?
Ina: Noooooooo! >races forward with knife only to be turned into an inertron statue.<
Jan: Her scream was interrupting me trying to find a candy floss setting on his Core machine.
Brainy: It must have been supplying food to the locals.
Tinya: Mana from heaven.
Jan: >bored< Shall we go?
>slightly scared of sociopath Jan, the missing Legion return home…<

…even if they don't know what's going on, Legionnaires are trained to operate in a high-tech society. Here they face unknown language, unfamiliar society, unlcear motives, no technology (including their own), in addition to hostility. It's a different sort of challenge and I enjoyed following Brainy's attempts to reason with the situation while accepting that he must go with the flow.

Yeah, the Tales books have all been very good at providing some quality stories, each with a different take on 30th century adventure.

Fat Cramer #952343 06/24/18 05:38 AM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
more comments

She's often demonstrated a desire to prove her ability, as well. Probably someone who doesn't take failure too well, so her eagerness is understandable, especially given the factors you listed.

Since I often feel Dawny’s fails far to often for plot reasons in this era, finding her flight ring in the morning should be considered a victory.

We get confirmation later in the Brainy scenes that tech isn't working; at this point, it isn't clear. But we did see a failure of the translator in last week's issue, with the lost Legionnaires trying to understand the Armorer.

I think Levitz used the tech on the fritz signposting as late on as v7 (not including when all of technology went in Magic Wars and Tarok chipping)

Missed the drug reference, but he's certainly the most druggy character in the story.

With the earlier ganga comment, perhaps there's a hint of connecting drug use with religious/shamanic practices as well as other societal issues.

Screaming for connection! Is this a lost tribe of Starhaven and was Dawnstar tuning into that sort of vibe as she approached the planet?

I’d be surprised if this wasn’t in Newell’s plans, or at least a connection made to a number of civilisations leaving Earth to start up colonies in earlier centuries. I think there’s also a connection to the amplification of her powers to becoming in tune to the planet, almost as if the planet were calling her home – or to a very similar home to the one she knows.

Doesn't say much for Academy training that nobody is up to snuff yet!

It’s something to bear in mind for the issues close ahead too.

This could be the moment when the relationship starts to collapse; before it was just on hold while she tended to leadership duties, but now there's a breach in how they view their roles. I had thought of this as just retreading the same old "we're understaffed" line, but you highlight the relationship aspect.

We had his outburst at not being called upon by Dreamy and I think there were a few things in the annual too. I think it’s a relationship that has been bubbling away with resentments and tensions since Dreamy got the leadership role. Or rather, that role made a lot of things in there relationship clearer once the dynamic in it changed. It’s been really, really understated for a comic book relationship. It makes me wonder about any others I’m missing. That layer of writing is one of the Levitz highlights for me.

Nebulae are such handy things to generate mystery and confusion!

You try and get specifics and all you get are nebulous answers. smile

Are you storing your comics in chronological order, regardless of title, or do you just have a super-cataloguing system?

It’s cataloguing…Why all of these comics are in order and a pile of cross referenced index cards has been left beside them! It must have been Catalogue Kid!

I enjoy this "look back at comic history" section you've added.

Thanks. I’m enjoying the self-indulgence of remembering my first DC comics. smile

That's one I haven't read but would like to.

Some early ones are a little hit and miss. I think there’s a Supergirl one that falls in the latter camp.

Enlightened parents!

I think they also quickly discovered that a happy, reading kid was a quiet kid and they could get on enjoying their holiday in peace. smile

Originally Posted by HWW
I just took Levitz to task for writing a story in which seven lost Legionnaires display no emotion whatsoever over their predicament; here, we've got two more lost Legionnaires, and Dawnstar really expresses her feelings over the matter--even going so far as to say she wants her mother. She also expects Wildfire, who is not even on this mission, to rescue her. I'm not sure if her depiction in this story makes her vulnerable or weak--a bit of both, I imagine.

While I really liked the opening Baxter arc, I thought the quality fell away. I had always liked the Tales stories. In this reread, the Tales continue to impress, while the Baxter book has lost some of whatever impact it had.

Originally Posted by HWW
She resembles a fallen angel, which ties in nicely with the religious theme of the story…She flies over a beautiful mountainside and walled-in city and comments how serene everything looks.

Good point about the relguious tie in. When I was reading it, I wondered why they would need a walled city if the place was so lovely. What would you need protection from? Just the weather?

Originally Posted by HWW
The Legion and/or the UP apparently has no prime directive regarding first contacts. Dawny never considers how the appearance of a winged, flying woman might be perceived by the locals.

Another good point. The Legion don’t often come to planets where they have to consider such things. I imagine that one reason for this is to move firmly away form any Trek connotations.

Originally Posted by HWW
It's a good thing Spliff captures and cooks an animal, as he saves Brainy from having to take a life.

That’s interesting. How far does the Legion code against killing extend?

Originally Posted by HWW
In particular, this issue echoes the ST episode, "The Omega Glory," in which Kirk and company become trapped on a world modeled after the then current tensions between the US (Yangs) and USSR (Kohms).

I’ll need to take a peek. Thanks.

Originally Posted by HWW

So far, Tales has provided a lot of variety. So, this story doesn’t seem as jarring to me. Certainly Kol is essentially a character in its own right, with the heroes taking on explorer roles, while going through their adventures. Brainy does have a character arc, as he’s been placed into an unfamiliar role for him. He’s already had a couple of realisations; reminding himself to think of others before his equipment and his reliance on gadgets over survival courses. So that’s not at all bad. Dawny, despite her predicament, could be about to embark on a big romantic subplot that has ramifications for her own people’s history too. So neither has been neglected yet.

I’m really hoping that Ina returns with Brainy at the end to be inducted to the Legion as Withering Look Lass. smile

thoth lad #952366 06/24/18 07:48 PM

Since I often feel Dawny’s fails far to often for plot reasons in this era, finding her flight ring in the morning should be considered a victory.

laugh

If her flight ring were off planet, she might have a chance. smile

With the earlier ganga comment, perhaps there's a hint of connecting drug use with religious/shamanic practices as well as other societal issues.

Spliff's name reminded me of Spaceman Spiff, Calvin's alter ego in Calvin & Hobbes. I wonder how long it will be before Spliff talks to imaginary tigers. smile

While I really liked the opening Baxter arc, I thought the quality fell away. I had always liked the Tales stories. In this reread, the Tales continue to impress, while the Baxter book has lost some of whatever impact it had.

Agreed. I don't want to ruin any spoilers or prejudice readers, but I have a feeling that the best of the Levitz era is behind us. There are many good stories to come, but I don't think Levitz really challenged himself or the characters after this point, except perhaps writing out the three founders (and even that turned out to be temporary in one case). I hope I'm wrong.

When I was reading it, I wondered why they would need a walled city if the place was so lovely. What would you need protection from? Just the weather?

I saw it as a clever bit of foreshadowing--a hint that the world isn't as serene as it seems. If you have a dominant religious order that keeps people under its thumb, you'll need walls for protection against competing groups, insurrections, and whomever else you regard as devil-spawn.

Originally Posted by HWW

Another good point. The Legion don’t often come to planets where they have to consider such things. I imagine that one reason for this is to move firmly away form any Trek connotations.

It's understandable that Levitz or whomever would want to distance the Legion for ST, given all the science fiction trappings. However, it's only common sense that the Legion would want to avoid alarming cultures that know nothing about life on other worlds. They don't have to call it a prime directive or even give such a policy an official name.

Originally Posted by HWW
It's a good thing Spliff captures and cooks an animal, as he saves Brainy from having to take a life.

That’s interesting. How far does the Legion code against killing extend?

I don't think it's ever been clarified. I'm sure we've seen Legionnaires eat meat before, so it's okay to eat it if someone else kills it? Or maybe killing animals is okay (but where do Proteans and other "pets" fit in?).

I would like to have seen Brainy wrestle with this dilemma. Having him enjoy the fruits of another carnivore's labor dodges the issue.

So far, Tales has provided a lot of variety. So, this story doesn’t seem as jarring to me. Certainly Kol is essentially a character in its own right, with the heroes taking on explorer roles, while going through their adventures. Brainy does have a character arc, as he’s been placed into an unfamiliar role for him. He’s already had a couple of realisations; reminding himself to think of others before his equipment and his reliance on gadgets over survival courses. So that’s not at all bad. Dawny, despite her predicament, could be about to embark on a big romantic subplot that has ramifications for her own people’s history too. So neither has been neglected yet.

All good points.

I’m really hoping that Ina returns with Brainy at the end to be inducted to the Legion as Withering Look Lass. smile

Once they learn Ina's last name is Godda-DaVida, they will instantly admit her as Iron Butterfly Lass.

He Who Wanders #952417 06/25/18 02:41 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
More Comments

Since I often feel Dawny's fails far to often for plot reasons in this era, finding her flight ring in the morning should be considered a victory.

laugh

If her flight ring were off planet, she might have a chance. smile

My inner pedant stopped me typing “…fly a Legion shuttle, never mind fly to a planet with her friends.” Because, of course, Dawny has no need of a shuttle. I should have known that inner voice would have friends lol My inner pedant even got me to go back and add “of course” into the sentence above. smile

Spliff's name reminded me of Spaceman Spiff, Calvin's alter ego in Calvin & Hobbes. I wonder how long it will be before Spliff talks to imaginary tigers. smile

Oh, I’d vote in Calvin Kid to the li’l Legion! Imaginary friends! Alter egos! One for the Applicants from other books thread!

Agreed. I don't want to ruin any spoilers or prejudice readers, but I have a feeling that the best of the Levitz era is behind us. There are many good stories to come, but I don't think Levitz really challenged himself or the characters after this point, except perhaps writing out the three founders (and even that turned out to be temporary in one case). I hope I'm wrong.

I think it’s the spark from the Giffen collaboration that’s missing. Something else else that brought out the best in both. Levitz did try to get that from others on the book. I guess we’ll see how it works out.

Originally Posted by HWW

That's interesting. How far does the Legion code against killing extend?

I don't think it's ever been clarified. I'm sure we've seen Legionnaires eat meat before, so it's okay to eat it if someone else kills it? Or maybe killing animals is okay (but where do Proteans and other "pets" fit in?).

I would like to have seen Brainy wrestle with this dilemma. Having him enjoy the fruits of another carnivore's labor dodges the issue.

The Proty thing was awkward as it was. But imagine if everyone had been eating them? Yikes! I hadn’t thought about the changing diets of the future. All vegans? Machine processed food? Or, keeping with this story, something that a spaceship would also be kitted out to provide?

I'm really hoping that Ina returns with Brainy at the end to be inducted to the Legion as Withering Look Lass. smile

Once they learn Ina's last name is Godda-DaVida, they will instantly admit her as Iron Butterfly Lass.

lol

In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida, honey,
Won’t you take my hand
So we can run away together
From Kol’s marauding band

Fat Cramer #952497 06/26/18 03:20 AM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
DCCP #80 "A World Full of Supermen" by Paul Kupperberg, art by Curt Swan and Dave Hunt, Colors by G. D'Angelo, Letters by Ben Oda

[Linked Image]

The Legionnaires arrive through the portal from factory planet to find themselves in unrecognized space. They see a 20th century Earth city floating in space and are pulled toward it. A metallic creature observes them a station in space and analyzes the situation. Jo breaks free of the tractor beam and flies to the city, only to be attacked by Superman. The others, still held in the beam, begin to feel heat and see Superman attacking them with heat vision. Jan creates a lead shield; Cham, Vi and Tinya use their powers to escape while Jan stays shielded. They are met by three Supermen.

The metallic creature watches this, learns they are Legionnaires, informs us that this is a limbo between realities and that he is Brainiac, recovering from a previous battle with Superman.

On real Earth, Clark Kent gets a headache from ultrasonic beams and changes into Superman to investigate. Meanwhile, the Legionnaires are battling multiple Supermen, having discovered that they are biological robots. After destroying them, they rescue Element Lad from his lead shield. Brainiac observes all this and concludes he can use them to defeat Superman.

Tinya suspects this place is an anti-Superman testing ground. Many more Supermen descend on them and the Legionnaires fight back, wondering if there's anyone alive in the city.

Superman arrives, having followed the ultrasonic beam through dimensions. As he explores the city, he spies the Legionnaires, then is overrun by a wave of Superman robots seeking the Legionnaires. The Legionnaires fight this group; Jo k-o's Superman and realizes this one's not a robot.

Brainiac appears, encases Superman in a force field, then tells the Legionnaires that he has been controlling their minds and is preventing them from rescuing Superman. He begins to atomize Superman. However, the mind control program has disengaged and the Legionnaires are free. Jan tells Brainiac that his molecular disassembler is backlashing; Brainiac is confused, Superman revives. Brainiac destroys his equipment then teleports away. Jan explains that he caused smoke to come off Brainiac's metal body to give the impression of equipment failure. Superman thanks them, and the Legionnaires leave to look for a way out of this place and time.

Comments:

Yawn....a real filler story as far as the Legion is concerned. No personality stands out, the individuality and tensions we've seen in the Levitz stories are absent. The Legionnaires' powers are used adequately, but the endless Superman battles are boring and the lost Legionnaires are no further ahead in their quest to return home.

I'll bet 10 credits that thoth calls them ACME Supermen, because that's exactly what they are.

I don't really see why Jan had to hide in the lead shield, but he did. His powers could have disabled the Supermen somehow, but this is one of those instances when Jan's powers aren't miraculous. Compared to the LSH issues, Jan seemed rather flippant when talking to Brainiac, Adventure-era flippant. I half expected all the Legionnaires to start laughing and pointing at foolish Brainiac. It's a real shift in tone from what we've been reading.

Brainiac performs miracles of science but goofs up with controlling the Legionnaires by using the word "End" and can't tell that his own machinery isn't malfunctioning. Not much of a super-genius, although he did acknowlege that his brain functions weren't fully functional.

The ending is incredibly abrupt. There's not even a "what are you doing here?" from Superman. The portal the Legionnaires came through leads to a destroyed planet (and presumably, destroyed portal) so where they go from here is the most interesting aspect of this story.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
Fat Cramer #952535 06/26/18 01:06 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
It will be a little later on for me this week, as I've not kept the DC Presents with the regular issues. I don't recognise the cover though.

Fat Cramer #952539 06/26/18 02:16 PM
Trap Timer
Online Happy
Trap Timer
I don't think I've ever read that DC Comics Presents. Doesn't sound like I've missed much.

Fat Cramer #952561 06/26/18 07:02 PM
DCCP 80

This seems like an attempt to recreate the Silver Age appeal of the Legion. Curt Swan is on board to handle the art, and the dialogue flies straight out of the campy '60s: "Look alive, Legionnaires!" "that seems to fall into the realm of easier said than done," "so hot it's got me bothered!" Kupperberg spares no corny cliche. I get the impression that the story was an attempt to create a fun romp: the Legionnaires find themselves battling a world full of Superman robots. When the real Superman shows up, they mistake him for a robot. Hilarious hi-jinks ensue.

But this sitcom-y approach falls flat. The story isn't clever or surprising. The dialogue of the Legionnaires is interchangeable. And the ending makes no sense. Why are the Legionnaires walking away from Superman when he could return them to the 30th century or at least contact the rest of the Legion to let them know where their lost members are? This is a "done-in-one" issue taken to extremes. It has no context with any of the events surrounding the Legionnaires or Superman, evidently. Only Brainiac gets a subplot--though his references to a war with "the Master Programmer" elude me.

Nor is there any warmth in the Legion's encounter with the real Superman. If I were a new reader, I would get the impression that they know each other, but I have only Element Lad's parting shot--"What are old friends for?"--to indicate that they are indeed old friends. Furthermore, Superman looks abandoned as the Legionnaires stroll off together and leave him behind. He must be remembering the cruel joke the Legion played on him in their first encounter.

I wouldn't expect much from any issue of DCCP. The series existed just to show Superman fighting alongside a variety of DC's other heroes. (However, in looking for this issue, I discovered I do have an extensive collection of the series. I must have seen some value in following it.) Still, I would hope for a better thought-out story and at least some of the old camaraderie between Kal and his friends from the future.

Fat Cramer #952811 07/01/18 05:20 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Very nice weather prevented me doing any re-reading or re-finding in this case.

Fat Cramer #952852 07/03/18 03:37 AM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
LSH #9 by Paul Levitz, art by Steve Lightle & Larry Mahlstedt, colors by Carl Gafford, letters by John Costanza

[Linked Image]

At HQ, Legionnaires discuss what to do about their low numbers and decide to have new member tryouts in a few weeks. At that point, the lost Legionnaires walk in. After happy greetings all around, Jan finds Shvaughn in a park helping a child trapped by a fallen tree. Later, the Legionnaires relax together, with SP friends, Rond Vidar and Yera. Violet has a sharp talk with Yera and tells Yera to never impersonate her again, then stomps off, colliding with a distracted Brin.

Brin checks out on leave and meets Zirf to discuss some business. Jan and Shvaugn share some alone time away from the Legion but are interrupted by calls from both Zendak and Dream Girl regarding a situation in Hong Kong.

Elsewhere, R.J. Brande meets with Proteans, as someone spies on him. At the Academy, Dvron takes the kryptonite bullet which struck Laurel and hopes he can solve the case.

In Hong Kong, someone is blasting SP officers and causing destruction; Jacques reports that he saw Sklarians fleeing.

Brin and Zirf, on a flight to Tokyo, pass over the smoke from the destruction in Hong Kong. Brin has learned that he is Val Armorr's executor and will inherit several billion credits after performing some task.

In Hong Kong, the Legionnaires wonder why Sklarians attacked since they are at peace with the U.P. and even have an embassy in Hong Kong. Jacques suggests that it may be individual Sklarians after something. Cham disguises himself as a Sklarian; Vi hides in his/her hair, Jacques turns invisible and Ayla shorts out the security system. They enter the Sklarian building, Cham switches to a flying insect and they discover illegal shipments of frozen organs. A Sklarian tries to swat Cham, Violet grows and hits her; they escape. Jacques has proof that the Sklarians were raiding Hong Kong's organ mart. This leads them to the ship being loaded; Jan disables the cargobots. When the other Sklarians arrive to load the cargo manually, they are apprehended by Legionnaires.

As dawn breaks, Jan returns to Shvaughn's apartment and they resume their physical reunion.

Comments:
There's a lot going on in this issue, wrapping up some old storylines and starting several intriguing new ones. It also provides a lot of character moments and some insight into personalities and couple dynamics.

The only complaint is that the return of the lost Legionnaires is unexplained. It's a big gap from where and when we last saw them, but perhaps the writers consider the readers sufficiently creative to make up their own connections.

One other minor point is the characterization of Dvron as the not-too-bright rookie. It's a common type of character, but, given that there are so few SP officers, why wouldn't each one be among the best and brightest? Does Dvron have connections?

My favourite scene is the one with all the Legionnaires and friends relaxing in some recreation room with illusions of clouds, waterfalls, bubbles and fish, along with floating chairs. Most of the Legionnaires are out of uniform - except for Lar, Ayla, Mysa,and Thom (and Wildfire of course; he doesn't seem to have a casual containment suit). Did they just not bother to change, are they the on-call team or are they more comfortable in costume? Brin is not only in his uniform, he's not even joining the festivities; just looking on at Ayla's group from a balcony. Mysa interrupts Blok's advances, the Jo-Tinya-Lar-Tasmia cliques sits apart, there's a bit of an SP-clique with Shvaughn, Gigi, Gim, Yera and Jan - to which Cham has joined (as friend to Gim and fellow-Durlan with Yera). Wildfire and Jacques are together, an unlikely pair of friends but for their experience in the demon realm. Rond and Dirk discuss inventing a time search-beam, reminding us that Dirk is a scientist - and they invite Thom to join the discussion, implying that he can keep up with the technology. Ayla, Rokk, Nura and Zendak are involved in some dispute regarding Shvaughn (possibly related to her ICC mission with Dev-Em).Unlike other couples, Nura and Thom are separate. Computo is malfunctioning, overpouring a drink. And Vi stands apart, simmering, preparing to confront an oblivious Yera.

There are two extended stories - the Jan-Shvaughn reunion/romance, with Shvaughn clearly the more eager one for sex - and the mission to Hong Kong. I sort of felt like Shvaughn must have felt - this is dragging on a bit, let's see some action - but it does illustrate Jan's reluctance for physical contact. He mentions secrets; we can only guess what they may be. Given what we know now about Shvaughn, this panel has a certain poignancy. The facial expressions alone could have told the whole story .

The Hong Kong mission brings back the Sklarian raiders and continues primarily with the lost team - Jan, Vi and Cham along with Jacques and Ayla. It's not clear that Jan knows the nature of the trouble in Hong Kong - so how does he choose the team? I'd guess that he's become comfortable working with Cham and Vi. He didn't select a powerhouse like Jo or Lar (is he fed up with Jo?); Ayla's the one with the most punch on this mission. She seems to be relishing her renewed powers; Jan is surprised at the force she wields.

The Sklarians are stealing organs for transplant; when we last saw them, they were appealing to be given the same level of tech as other U.P. members and were, it appears, denied. One can sympathize with them to some degree, but they're painted exclusively as villains here.

Violet loses her temper, which complicates the mission, and acknowledges her error. She throws a number of punches and looks pretty happy to do so. Her confrontation with Yera surprised the others; Yera herself met Vi's anger with a simple defense but no apology, leaving Vi fuming - but one has the sense that she might have lost her temper in Hong Kong regardless of meeting Yera.

There's a good sense of continuity within the story, weaving in old plots and starting new ones. There are plenty of futuristic details in the artwork. All in all, a very satisfying issue.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
Fat Cramer #952903 07/04/18 09:44 AM
Originally Posted by Fat Cramer

The only complaint is that the return of the lost Legionnaires is unexplained. It's a big gap from where and when we last saw them, but perhaps the writers consider the readers sufficiently creative to make up their own connections.

If so, the writers were being extremely lazy. smile

From my view, there's no justifiable reason for leaving out such an important part of the story. We've been following our lost Legionnaires for quite some time; we've seen the effect their absence has had on the team as a whole. To be denied a resolution to this story is just wrong.

My other major complaint about this issue is the "oh, by the way" manner in which the story handles news of KK's death. There's no moment of shock or disbelief as the returning Legionnaires cut the happiness of their return short by revealing what happened on Orando. As a result, we're denied a major emotional pay off.

One other minor point is the characterization of Dvron as the not-too-bright rookie. It's a common type of character, but, given that there are so few SP officers, why wouldn't each one be among the best and brightest? Does Dvron have connections?

Not only does Dvron's behavior make no sense for a by-now experienced officer, he is also referred to as a lieutenant by Gigi in 320.

My favourite scene is the one with all the Legionnaires and friends relaxing in some recreation room with illusions of clouds, waterfalls, bubbles and fish, along with floating chairs. Most of the Legionnaires are out of uniform - except for Lar, Ayla, Mysa,and Thom (and Wildfire of course; he doesn't seem to have a casual containment suit). Did they just not bother to change, are they the on-call team or are they more comfortable in costume? Brin is not only in his uniform, he's not even joining the festivities; just looking on at Ayla's group from a balcony. Mysa interrupts Blok's advances, the Jo-Tinya-Lar-Tasmia cliques sits apart, there's a bit of an SP-clique with Shvaughn, Gigi, Gim, Yera and Jan - to which Cham has joined (as friend to Gim and fellow-Durlan with Yera). Wildfire and Jacques are together, an unlikely pair of friends but for their experience in the demon realm. Rond and Dirk discuss inventing a time search-beam, reminding us that Dirk is a scientist - and they invite Thom to join the discussion, implying that he can keep up with the technology. Ayla, Rokk, Nura and Zendak are involved in some dispute regarding Shvaughn (possibly related to her ICC mission with Dev-Em).Unlike other couples, Nura and Thom are separate. Computo is malfunctioning, overpouring a drink. And Vi stands apart, simmering, preparing to confront an oblivious Yera.

Good analysis of the different relationships. I, too, thought it was interesting to note which Legionnaires wore their costumes while hanging out.

He mentions secrets; we can only guess what they may be. Given what we know now about Shvaughn, this panel has a certain poignancy.

Indeed. Though I doubt Levitz and/or Giffen had planned the outcome of Shvaughn's story this far in advance, it's truly ironic that she's the one keeping secrets.

The facial expressions alone could have told the whole story .

Indeed again. the last panel on P. 10, with Shvaughn crying while exposing her cleavage speaks volumes about the rejection she must be feeling.

The Hong Kong mission brings back the Sklarian raiders and continues primarily with the lost team - Jan, Vi and Cham along with Jacques and Ayla. It's not clear that Jan knows the nature of the trouble in Hong Kong - so how does he choose the team?

Plot expediency powers. smile

Violet loses her temper, which complicates the mission, and acknowledges her error. She throws a number of punches and looks pretty happy to do so. Her confrontation with Yera surprised the others; Yera herself met Vi's anger with a simple defense but no apology, leaving Vi fuming - but one has the sense that she might have lost her temper in Hong Kong regardless of meeting Yera.

Vi's portrayal in this story is very interesting. She approaches Yera to give her a what-for, only to be reduced to babbling when Yera remains calm and refuses to be baited. Vi's self-righteous anger has to go somewhere, so she takes it out first on Blok and then on the Sklarian swatter. Vi really needs to sit down with a therapist.

Ayla also strikes me as someone who feels the need to overcompensate. She comes off as being overly aggressive on the mission to Hong Kong and confrontational with Chief Zendak during the party. This could also be why Ayla wears her costume at the party, to drive home that she's back as a Legionnaires.

Both Vi and Ayla have gone through serious and traumatic experiences. Both have ended long-term relationships. Both may still be trying to find themselves.

There's a good sense of continuity within the story, weaving in old plots and starting new ones. There are plenty of futuristic details in the artwork. All in all, a very satisfying issue.

Agreed. This is the first issue in which I've really enjoyed Lightle's work. He seems to be coming into his own as an artist.

Fat Cramer #952904 07/04/18 10:35 AM
A few more thoughts on Baxter #9:

Overall, I like this sort of "breather" issue which celebrates the Legionnaires as friends and colleagues. The full-page party scene is a classic, and the Shvaughn/Jan sequence takes their relationship and the book in a new direction. Levitz plays with the trope of our hero's long-awaited intimate encounter being interrupted by duty. But this isn't a funny exchange. Shvaughn's expression, as I noted above, betrays real hurt. The final page rewards the reader's patience (and Shvaughn's) by giving us what we want to see. I truly admire Jan on this page. He's grown up as a Legionnaire and as a man. He shows that he is not only more confident with himself as leader but also as a lover.

Relationships form a recurring theme in this issue. The story ends with Jan and Shvaughn coming together and begins with Thom and Nura drifting further apart. In 321, Nura rejected Thom's advances and accused him of being selfish (which, to a degree, he was). Here he openly contradicts her during a meeting. This clearly takes her by surprise. She even backs down from her position of not adding new Legionnaires. In its own way, this scene, too, moves our characters in new directions.

Blok and Mysa also have a very brief but telling exchange. He approaches her as if he is about to ask her out (something it takes most men a long time to get up the nerve to do), but she cuts him off because he unthinkingly interrupts her illusion. Worse, she describes his interference as "unaesthetic." Way to go, Mysa! Calling someone ugly is a good way to shoot him down. smile

All of which makes the image of Jo, Tinya, Lar, and Shady sitting together and chatting very comforting and reassuring. These four form a clique, but it's not an exclusive or insular one. They appear very comfortable in their relationships. I get the impression of church members having a quiet get-together: a sanctified gathering of people who love and care for one another. In their own way, they provide an image of stability among all of the changes the Legion is going through.

Romantic relationships aren't the only focus of the story. Brin--who is alone and isolated not only from the woman he loved but from the rest of the team--finds himself named as executor of Karate Kid's will. He has a relationship with a dead man--and one he doesn't seem to have been particularly close to (he admits that he isn't mourning Val). But Val thought highly enough of him to entrust "billions of credits" to his safekeeping. Given how his other teammates regard Brin as untrustworthy, incompetent, and just plain dumb, this is shockingly high praise indeed.

Meanwhile, R.J. Brande is observed having a clandestine rendezvous with Proteans. All we really know at this point is that he regards the meeting as ridiculous. I don't recall where this plotline goes, but, in light of what we know about Brande (he's a Durlan), his relationship with Cham, and that Cham regarded Proty and Proty II as pets, it makes for intriguing and unsettling possibilities for future relationships. Is Brande being blackmailed? Is he a political supporter of the Proteans, as the observer suggests?

So, although the issue had a few bumps, as I noted above, I quite enjoyed it. The action plot with the Sklarians is handled in a brisk fashion, showing our heroes to be quite good at what they do and giving quality screen time to each participant. But the focus remains on the ever-evolving relationships of several Legionnaires.

Fat Cramer #952954 07/05/18 11:25 AM
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
Originally Posted by HWW
My other major complaint about this issue is the "oh, by the way" manner in which the story handles news of KK's death. There's no moment of shock or disbelief as the returning Legionnaires cut the happiness of their return short by revealing what happened on Orando. As a result, we're denied a major emotional pay off.

You know, it was so by the way that I forgot to expect a big, sad announcement of what happened with Val, Jeckie and Orando. It's not clear how much time has elapsed between the return and the relaxed get-together from which Brin departs to meet with lawyer Zirf.

I truly admire Jan on this page. He's grown up as a Legionnaire and as a man. He shows that he is not only more confident with himself as leader but also as a lover.

He does seem to have gained a lot of confidence, no more griping and waffling about what to do. I didn't like Jan much in the issues we've been reading, which surprised me - guess I only remembered this more adult Jan.

Blok and Mysa also have a very brief but telling exchange. He approaches her as if he is about to ask her out (something it takes most men a long time to get up the nerve to do), but she cuts him off because he unthinkingly interrupts her illusion. Worse, she describes his interference as "unaesthetic." Way to go, Mysa! Calling someone ugly is a good way to shoot him down.

That was harsh! It wasn't the case in the story about her life, but Mysa can be rather socially awkward at times. Perhaps oblivious to social niceties is a better way to put it.

Romantic relationships aren't the only focus of the story. Brin--who is alone and isolated not only from the woman he loved but from the rest of the team--finds himself named as executor of Karate Kid's will. He has a relationship with a dead man--and one he doesn't seem to have been particularly close to (he admits that he isn't mourning Val). But Val thought highly enough of him to entrust "billions of credits" to his safekeeping. Given how his other teammates regard Brin as untrustworthy, incompetent, and just plain dumb, this is shockingly high praise indeed.

Brin's been so battered around lately that this turn of events is quite uplifting. At least, Val recognized that he's the right man for the job - he doesn't need accounting skills where he's going, but quick wits, street smarts and courage.

Meanwhile, R.J. Brande is observed having a clandestine rendezvous with Proteans. All we really know at this point is that he regards the meeting as ridiculous. I don't recall where this plotline goes, but, in light of what we know about Brande (he's a Durlan), his relationship with Cham, and that Cham regarded Proty and Proty II as pets, it makes for intriguing and unsettling possibilities for future relationships. Is Brande being blackmailed? Is he a political supporter of the Proteans, as the observer suggests?

I don't recall either if this plotline goes anywhere - at least not until 5YL and the Soul of Antares. It does generate a lot of questions, though.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
Fat Cramer #953188 07/08/18 07:25 AM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
LoSH v3 9

The cover sums up the content. Against a background of romance with Jan and Shvaugn, the SP alert the Legion to a small scale mission and there’s a gathering of characters.
Following the team meeting in Tales #319 and then Dreamy musing about membership at the monitor board in Tales #320, the topic of new members comes up again in this issue. The difference is that Thom sides with Cos’ desire to recruit new blood.

Cos makes the point that the whole team is exhausted. Now I’ve been wondering in recent reviews just what the main team has been up to while the focus has been on the Orando team. Although the mission in this issue is a relatively small one, it does go some way to answering that question. Lots of smaller missions gradually taking their toll on the team.
Lightle gives us a close up of Nura’s eye when Thom sides with Cos. Because it’s Nura I’d have to include she’s seen something of the future. Is it something to do with the new recruits? Or is it because it’s thom who says “otherwise we’re all gonna get killed, love.” A hint of Nura crying over Thom’s departure, rather than his death which was even further way?
Nira is certainly quick enough to agree, following her realisation, whether precognitive or not. She passes comment in an offhand way, (“well, then, I suppose I go along with you, boys.”) but I do think there was something deeper going on there.

It’s nice that she defers to Wildfire to get this organised. Fortunately Cos was going to let Wildfire into his plans ages ago, so all the recruitment has been sorted out… oh, it hasn’t because that subplot went nowhere.

Just the mention of “tryouts” brings a smile.

As Nura resumes the meeting the lost legionnaires return. Blok seems terribly smiley, leading me to suspect he’s been replaced by something else or he’s off his rock-er smile
There are some interesting responses. Brin is a bit slow. Ayla seems a bit bothered. As she’s already re-established her place in the team, she has no reason to be.
Gim’s “you’re looking good, chameleon boy” to Cham is interesting. Perhaps he’s learning all sorts of things from Durlans.

Considering how backwards comics were/are, there some liberating ethnicity in Zendak’s family tree, as Element Lad helps Shvaugn rescue his nephew. A little touch snuck in there by either Levitz or Lightle.

The rescue is a nice set up page to Erin’s reunion with Jan. It’s a quiet scene fitting well with all those moments they’ve had. Zendak’s nephew goes from being a little scared to being a little bit ignored. Look for Symyn Zendak to become a slightly less patient chief of the SP when he grows up.

The scene did spark off fears among Legion world that Jan had accidently killed Tree Lad, who was on protective duty on key Legion allies. Considering Jan’s state of mind, some thought Jan had decided to settle a few scores, in keeping with Ayla and Vi of this period.

I’ve not a big fan of the party page. I think it’s just the fashions. As it’s set so far ahead, I probably shouldn’t; like them. smile Looking at it now, there’s a lot going on. The Jo/Tinya/Lar/Tas clique (LaTaJoTi ?) is rejoined, and we get some book crossover chat. More crossover chat, as Ayla reminds us of her assertiveness while telling us that Officer Erin is about to appear over in Tales.

Dreamy’s firm response is very much in keeping with her leadership duties. Where there’s a decision going on, there she is. Thom, on the other hand, is being drawn into a science conversation. Are they apart on purpose. Blok makes another failed attempt to approach Mysa. I thought Vi was overly snarky, but she’s looking at Yera, when she says it. She, Gim and GI Gi are reminding us of another Tales story. Another looks-telling-a story is Brin, back to being Lone Wolf and looking down at Ayla. That can’t be good for the team, so it’s no bad thing he has a solo coming up. Cos is looking at Ayla, as if she represents the new Legion that he’s transitioning towards.

So, what may seem like created chatter in the scene has plenty of payoffs to the other book.

Lost Tales here include Rond’s comment leading into a Doctor Regulus taking over the Time Beacon; Jacques wearing Kid Eternity’s belt around his neck as he continues to look into the origins of the Dream Demon; Computo’s glitch links to other recent errors and a bigger story; and Zendak really being there to investigate the murder of Tree Lad.

Vi finally confronts Yera. Gim speaks up for his wife. Thanks Gim. That’s the person you thought was Vi, but couldn’t tell the difference. Vi lets Yera off. The key is that she’s “decided to believe” the story. Yera must have been lost in the role, very thick, or just didn’t care enough about Vi not to have some suspicions. Yera passing the buck back to Vi’s people, isn’t endearing and doesn’t get her own actions off the hook either. “ooooopppfffff!” indeed. I’d have liked to have seen some scenes with Vi and Chameleon Girl n later volumes, but Legion Lost put paid to that.

Levitz likes using corridors to link Brin Londo scenes. Here, he runs right into Vi. She observes that his attitude is down to Ayla. Blok is perceived as naïve but, as with the Universo story, is a character with insight. He knows his friend has other things on his mind. It turns out that Brin is looking to fulfil the last wishes of a deceased friend. Not so Lone Wolf as his look at the party would have you think.
Despite his confident return to Erin, he’s a bit hesitant when in private later. He has secrets he wants to tell her. Secrets that he’s a little embarrassed to share. In light of what did happen later, there’s a ton of Lost Tales here. Typically, Zenkak interrupts them, resulting in Erin even commenting on the cliché. Although Nura’s all business, there’s an touch (dare I say, an element) of reasserting himself form Jan. That he feels the need to is telling.

So, ten pages in and the opening scene of the story arrives. That’s not a criticism. It’s no bad thing to have variation in plot structure in an ongoing book.

There’s been an attack on a mall in Hong Kong. The Legion take over form a suicidal officer Kyung. The Legion go in as the blasts reduce in intensity. A cleverer Element Lad wold have created a parallel flanking tunnel. Still, we see Ayla show just how powerful she’s become and how much control she has over electricity. She can stop energy beams with it, create huge destructive busts, but also has the subtly to be able to blast away debris from around a colleague.

Jacques gets to use his two main Legion powers too. The power to be trapped under debris without suffering serious injury. And the power to further the plot through invisible observation. He’s recognised the attackers as Sklarians. He also preps the reader as to what sort of things the Sklarians are often after. The next four issues deal with the diplomatic negotiations that go absolutely nowhere. Then Jan goes back in time, and just has them raid the embassy as we see here.

It’s a job for the espionage squad! We get to see the work Cham puts into his disguises. It’s not just the look. It’s the bearing, the gait and the personality. Vi goes in with him. She got a nice visual evading energy bursts earlier. Here, she’s the perfect companion to Cham allowing them both to shrink to investigate more closely. They find that there’s frozen organ shipping going on. The pari talk about it. But to a full size person, this sounds very much like the buzzing of an insect, and they nearly get swatted (points for the “swat” sound effect) Vi doesn’t take to kindly to that, growing to full size and punching out her attacker. Vi says “I don’t think we were recognised” That’s despite both wearing their distinctive uniforms of the most famous super group in the galaxy. It’s also despite Cham shouting her name, saying her name again and shouting that she’s a Legionnaire. Good work espionage squad! The remainder of the team are standing right outside the embassy for any passer-by to see.

Jacques “Plot Furthering Kid” Foccart is the one to return with some evidence. Can he make other things invisible too? Looks like it here. The Legion work well as a team to trap the Sklarians. Ayla shorts out docking robots, as she did with the embassy security system. Vi knocks out the Sklarian organiser. Cham mimics their voice patterns and impersonates one of the crew, to get all the Sklarians together. Jan and Ayla act as muscle to get the Sklarians to surrender after Jacques acts an element of surprise (An Element of Surprise is also the name of a Lost Legion tale where Jacques investigates all Jan’s embarrassing secrets hinted at earlier in the issue.

There’s more effective teamwork from this group, than there was on Limbo world. Levitz tries to be fair to each of them, as he did then, but the personalities come across a little more clearly here. It’s a grouping without a Kryptonian or Daxamite, and works better as a result.

Two other subplots share a page. RJ Brande is meeting some Proteans in an alley. Despite what you read on the Post-a-thon booth walls, this is an espionage subplot. This is one of those intriguing plots I with lots of potential. Elsewhere, the investigation into Laurel Kent’s shooting doesn’t work because Officer Dvron is an idiot. We recently had a story showing us all the rigorous screening the SP officers went through. I guess that took all the time away from learning simple police procedure. He’s clearly out of his depth and is my favourite for getting bumped off as the story progresses. Chuck’s gentle advice does his job for him.

It’s another better than okay issue that’s a little bit of an improvement over the Limbo World story. The mission team works well together, and the story does its job of spotlighting Jacques, Ayla and Vi and Cham. It’s also a Jan spotlight issue, as he returns to leadership, progresses hi relationship and goes on a mission. Despite that, we don’t learn any of those secrets. Nor do we get beyond the occasional surface him that there’s more going on with him than meets the eye.

The mission was of the standard variety, with Levitz putting in a procedural approach across the scenes that worled well. The group gave themselves away completely during the embassy infiltration, which stretched credulity. Despite the twist of Jacques getting the evidence, the Legion didn’t seem to be in any real trouble of failing. So, there didn’t seem to be much threat this issue. Which is odd to type, considering that a building should have crushed Jacques and someone shot running straight into laser beams.

We also don’t get to know why the Sklarians are looking for this technology. That would have added an extra layer to the plot. Especially as there’s Earth-gov issues coming up. It could have added more political edge to the story.

Page 2 of 16 1 2 3 4 15 16

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,020
Posts1,045,031
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden