Roll Call
1 members (razsolo), 35 Murran Spies, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Who's Who in Raz's Legion? *added RED CROW 3 May*
by razsolo - 05/04/24 11:08 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/04/24 08:26 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/04/24 08:21 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by stile86 - 05/04/24 07:26 PM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by stile86 - 05/04/24 07:25 PM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Ann Hebistand - 05/04/24 12:22 PM
not just another Pantha's dismembered head thread...
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/04/24 11:54 AM
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/04/24 02:29 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Pitch your One-Issue Legion fic ideas!
#950574 05/31/18 04:47 PM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
So I was thinking, what short one-issue stories would you like to see? Ones that don't necessarily involve much knowledge of Legion history, or the tying up of long-running plot threads. They can even be "Elseworlds" that don't fit into continuity (either canon continuity or your own fic's continuity).

Such as:

- A boys' night out with the gay Legionnaires - Lyle, Condo, Tel, Jed and Jan, where the two couples help Jan find a date! (I might do this one day, but with another character in place of Jan...)
- Gates, Tellus, Blok take a class on carbon-based humanoid culture. Quislet is forced to join, but disrupts things instead. Sensor can join as a bonus, in this Elseworlds she coexists with humanoid Projectra
- Treasure hunt: Kinetix enlists Violet in a race against time versus Kono for a mysterious treasure (I might do this one day!)
- royal summit: 5YL Nura, Jeckie, and Tasmia talk about the headaches of running a planet (or being closely involved in one)
- Shikari and Dawnstar talk about their similarities vs. differences (this is also something I could possibly do one day in my fic!)

What are your ideas, whether silly or serious?

Re: Pitch your One-Issue Legion fic ideas!
Invisible Brainiac #950578 05/31/18 04:50 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Legion Academy party issue.

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Invisible Brainiac #950580 05/31/18 04:51 PM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
^ Chemical Kid uses his powers to make people be able to drink without getting drunk, but Dragonwing still manages to set fire to the VR room.

Invisible Brainiac #950591 05/31/18 05:16 PM
K
Leader
Leader
K
Topar the Robot Super-Teacher from Krypton shows up to "train" the Legionnaires.

...and immediately alienates 1/2 the Legion:
Quote: "You are a mere girl! And no female is fit to use super-powers wisely!"

The issue does not end well. For Topar.

Last edited by Klar Ken T5477; 05/31/18 05:17 PM.

“I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal.” -- Groucho Marx
Invisible Brainiac #950593 05/31/18 06:14 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
"Little Hyrkanian"- Alternate Universe/Elseworld where Earth is mostly water due to an invasion by the Gil'Dishpan (they eventually lost), and a curious Princess Lamprey ventures into the main universe.

Go with the good and you'll be like them; go with the evil and you'll be worse than them.- Portuguese Proverb
Klar Ken T5477 #950604 06/01/18 02:57 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
Originally Posted by Emily Sivana
"Little Hyrkanian"- Alternate Universe/Elseworld where Earth is mostly water due to an invasion by the Gil'Dishpan (they eventually lost), and a curious Princess Lamprey ventures into the main universe.

This is cool, I've often thought that there was a lot more story potential with Hykraians and Gil"Dishpans.

Originally Posted by Klar Ken T5477
Topar the Robot Super-Teacher from Krypton shows up to "train" the Legionnaires.

...and immediately alienates 1/2 the Legion:
Quote: "You are a mere girl! And no female is fit to use super-powers wisely!"

The issue does not end well. For Topar.

Topar always annoyed me, so I would like to read it getting some comeuppance!

Invisible Brainiac #950605 06/01/18 05:01 AM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Random fic ideas stirring around my head;

1) Something else else dealing with Jan/Element Lad and his stewardship of Trom. The UP votes to 'regenerate' Trom using the DNA of the dead Tromnites to grow clones of those that died and downloading into them all of the historical data on their planet that remained in their information archives. There are many voting on the measure for purely humanitarian reasons, considering the Tromnian genocide to have been a great injustice, and reversing it to be a noble cause, but others behind the scenes want A) thousands of transmuters, who may lack the pesky morals and ethics of Jan Arrah, who has a monopoly on his gift (and how it is used) at present, B) an entire new world with it's own representative seat on the UP council, completely beholden to the UP (for resurrecting them) and totally naïve about matters of UP realpolitick (and who, for instance, they should never under any circumstances, trust, for instance). Jan recognizes that this is going to happen with or without his blessing, and may take drastic action to prevent it...

2) Tharok had a 'Dark Man' clone, who created the League of Super-Assassins, one of which, Lazon, has pretty much the same powers as Quanto, of the uh, some other villain group I forget the name of... (and looks almost exactly like Quanto, as well!). Tying these things together, Tharok has Quanto somewhere, held prisoner, and created Lazon through cloning, planting him with the other children he was grooming to be assassins. His end goal was to isolate the powers and graft them into clones of himself, to create a 'Light Man' counterpart to his 'Dark Man.' Or, as the Legion will discover later, to create *many* Light Men... These Light Men have a purpose, and that is to unlock the darkness deep within the heart of Talokk VIII, source of the powers of the Shadow Champion (and her cousin). The darkness itself isn't the true prize, however. Tharok has discovered that the darkness within Talokk VIII's heart protects and hides something, a thing of great value, that he suspects will prove to be far more valuable and universe-shaking than clones of Quanto or Leagues of Super-Assassins.

Where he'll run into trouble is when he discovers that the darkness at the heart of Talokk VIII isn't hiding something precious from the universe, it's *protecting* the universe from that which it holds prisoner...

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
Invisible Brainiac #950606 06/01/18 05:23 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Set, are you looking over my shoulder at my draft storylines for LW6 because of you take out the Lazon/Quanto part the idea that Tharrok is after something dark and mysterious (and utterly evil) at the heart of Talok VIII is just about bang on what I'd planned. It would reference the first appearance of Shadow Lass and other points from that planet's history. Oh well, back to the drawing board. And at least you didn't say what that mystery is, so I've still got that to work with.

Legion Worlds NINE - wait, there's even more ongoing amazing adventures? Yup, and you'll only find them in the Bits o' Legionnaire Business Forum.
Harbinger #950617 06/01/18 10:06 AM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Originally Posted by Harbinger
Set, are you looking over my shoulder at my draft storylines for LW6 because of you take out the Lazon/Quanto part the idea that Tharrok is after something dark and mysterious (and utterly evil) at the heart of Talok VIII is just about bang on what I'd planned. It would reference the first appearance of Shadow Lass and other points from that planet's history. Oh well, back to the drawing board. And at least you didn't say what that mystery is, so I've still got that to work with.

Mwa-ha-ha! I'm in yer head, peeking at yer thoughts! (Or maybe I just got back from the future in my Time Bubble and had already read your fic?)

Seriously though, I hadn't decided yet. Is it a creature, a Lovecraftian horror of some sort? Is it a powerful source of dark magic, sealed away to protect the universe? Is it, gasp, something good, sealed away like Hope in Pandora's Box, that Tharok will unwittingly unleash (and the Shadow Champions had been tricked into helping keep confined) to the universe's betterment? Was the entire settlement on the kind of inhospitable Talokk VIII deliberately engineered by some external (and long forgotten) race or power (originally being natives to one of the other inhabited Talokkian planets) for the sole purpose of keeping this darkness bound, creating a race of tradition-bound warriors who don't remember, after all this time, why they were put on Talokk VIII in the first place?

It was just a seedling. If I were ever to feed and water it, it, like most of my fic ideas, would likely grow in strange directions that would surprise even me. smile

As a side note, I planned on tying Radiation Roy's powers and origin into that of the old villain Modulus (who also had the same powers and origin story), either as some sort of 'beta-test' of Tharok's 'clone a villain' plan, or a red herring that had nothing to do with Tharok, but was just coincidentally similar.

Invisible Brainiac #950625 06/01/18 11:07 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
I remember you touching on the proposed "resurrection" and exploitation of Trom in your latest fic, Set. An interesting thing to explore!

And I like the ideas for Talok VIII, Light Man and Radiaton Roy/Modulus too!

Invisible Brainiac #950682 06/01/18 05:36 PM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
I just realized that many of my "pet" favorite characters have died or been through a lot of bad things.

Legion - Kinetix (dead in legion of 3 worlds, which I choose to ignore!). Honorable mention to Gates, trapped in 20th century and disfigured
JLA - Doctor Light, depowered for a while (she got better thankfully). Honorable mention to Ice, who died for a while and got better
Titans - Kole (dead in Crisis)
Outsiders - Windfall (raped, killed her attackers, joined Suicide Squad and died in battle)
JSA - Cyclone (was depowered for a very short while, but got better). Honorable mention to Ma Hunkel,who was in witness protection for decades and away from her family

Most are female. I should write a story with them meeting up...

Invisible Brainiac #950685 06/01/18 06:16 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Thank you, IB! I like the true aliens in Legion World and wish more would be done with them. In my Earth-S/Earth-4 stuff I made envy and nihilism the primary motivators of the Venusian worms, and I think the Gil'Dishpan would feel similar. They would ask themselves; what is the purpose of sentience in such a form?

I like Set's ideas as well. Set, do you see Element Lad's powers as more magic or more science?

Go with the good and you'll be like them; go with the evil and you'll be worse than them.- Portuguese Proverb
Invisible Brainiac #950701 06/02/18 02:51 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
In the Reboot, at least one Gil'Dishpan (they are called Gil'dans only in the Reboot) expressed hatred for air-breathers. That could be an element of envy.

Emily Sivana #950702 06/02/18 05:01 AM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Thank you, IB! I like the true aliens in Legion World and wish more would be done with them. In my Earth-S/Earth-4 stuff I made envy and nihilism the primary motivators of the Venusian worms, and I think the Gil'Dishpan would feel similar. They would ask themselves; what is the purpose of sentience in such a form?

My fanon on the Gil'Dishpan, and why they look more like an internal organ than an actual complete organism, is that they exist at least partially in multiple dimensions, and the part you see in their containment bubble is only a part of the whole creature manifesting in this dimension. How big a part? Who knows. They aren't sharing that sort of information (or even confirming that theory). If somehow brought fully into one dimension (and they may well exist in more than jst two, perhaps even scattered across a half-dozen or more!), a single Gil'Dishpan might be as large as a house. Crazier theories include the notion that all of the Gil'Dishpan yet seen are extra-dimensional appendages of a single massive creature, as large as a moon, and that any appearance that they are working to cross purposes are a ruse, to create the illusion that they are a race, and not an individual, or, stranger yet, that they are of many minds, despite being all one creature, and quite capable of having different thoughts and feelings on a given matter.

In any event, I like the notion that what you see is only the part of the Gil'Dishpan that can exist in our dimension. Like Quislet, in a sense, they are a 'probe' into this dimension from another.

And teleporting, for a Gil'Dishpan, is just like pulling your hand out of the water and putting it back in a few feet away. To a particularly dimwitted fish, your hand just disappeared from their 'universe' and reappeared in a different place. Magic! But you know differently, because your 'universe' is bigger.

I like Set's ideas as well. Set, do you see Element Lad's powers as more magic or more science?

I haven't nailed anything down, but I think of it as a little from column A and a little from column B. The Tromnians didn't just happen to evolve transmutation abilities randomly, or to adapt to an inhospitable environment (as Braalians, Tharrians, Bismollans, etc. might have), but were perhaps designed to have transmutation abilities, as part of some sort of longer-plan, one which Roxxas came close to foiling. (And did Roxxas really 'accidentally' almost kill every living Tromnian, or was he manipulated into doing so by some hidden force opposed to whatever long-plan the Tromnians were created for?)

I kind of see it in Hindu Trimurti sort of way. There are forces of creation (sometimes thought to be mindless, pumping out things both good and bad, adorable puppies and nasty ebola, indiscriminately) and forces of destruction (equal indiscriminate, the rain falling on the just and unjust alike). Balancing them is a force for balance, an 'architect', who decides which things that have come from the forges of creation are worthy or useful additions to the universe, and which need to get funneled off to the 'Destroyer' to be gotten rid of. I see transmuters as being part of this force for balance. There's too much of element A in the universe and not enough of element B? A transmuter can turn some of that extra A into B. But someone, forces of destruction, perhaps, want the universe to run out of resources, to fly out of balance and 'halt and catch fire.' The existence of balancing forces keeping the universe spinning on frustrates their plans to see it all burn.

In any event, I like the notion that there is a certain amount of transmutation power that the Tromnians tapped into. When there were thousands of them, it really wasn't all that spectacular. Nothing like Jan's feats of changing the lead content of the atmosphere of the entire Earth single-handedly. The secret is, as long as Jan is the 'Last Son of Trom,' he has *all* the transmutation potential that was once shared by his entire race. If I went with this notion, and tied it in with the fanfic notion upthread, some might speculate that Jan doesn't want Trom to be resurrected because he wants to keep the power all to himself. (Which would be very far from the truth. He just doesn't regard clones of his dead people downloaded with some archived Tromnian history and religion and culture would *be* the people who died in the Tromnian genocide. They'd always be imperfect copies, and while he wouldn't kill one that had already been brought to life, he certainly doesn't want a bunch of copies of his dead friends and family and whatnot running around, wearing their faces and answering to their names and aping their acts of faith.)

Last edited by Set; 06/02/18 05:08 AM. Reason: I have too many thoughts.

Emily Sivana #950711 06/02/18 10:46 AM
K
Leader
Leader
K

A few other friends from Hykraius-Earth:
Bouncing Blowfish
Brain-Coral-5
Invisible Squid
Mon-Eel
Shadow Bass
Sun Fish

“I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal.” -- Groucho Marx
Invisible Brainiac #950717 06/02/18 01:09 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Great White Witch!
Timber Shark!

Invisible Brainiac #950718 06/02/18 01:49 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
Traveling 1,000 years into past, they recruit history's greatest hero: Topo!

Invisible Brainiac #950727 06/02/18 04:01 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Phew, Topo's cool.

I thought you were going to say Jerro the Merboy, and I was going to flip a table.

Invisible Brainiac #950775 06/02/18 10:42 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Who is Topo? Google ceased to be useful. I remember Jerro from an Encyclopedia though, such fun.

Earth- Hyrkaius Superman- Kal-el's pod ends up in the ocean due to a miscalculation and he is raised by Atlantean peasants (if he can survive the vacuum of space then water should not be an issue). I could see him going through a hero's journey similar to that in Greek mythology. He helps establish long-lasting relations with Hyrkaius.

Duke Pericles- The child of Aquaman and Wonder Woman who helps push back the Gil'Dishpan invasion.

Maybe Atlantis becomes the superpower on Earth and joins in a Federation with Hyrkaius and other amphibious aliens?

Invisible Brainiac #950776 06/02/18 11:06 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Topo the Octopus is Aquaman's pet octopus, originally, although he's been later re-envisioned as a humanoid with an octopus for a head (both in comics and the Young Justice cartoon), and, in the new 52, as a giant kraken like beast with tentacles and crab claws. I have no idea which version Quislet meant, but I'm going with the normal unpowered pet octopus as 'history's greatest hero,' because that's funnier. smile

Set #950794 06/03/18 09:36 AM
K
Leader
Leader
K

Invisible Brainiac #951328 06/09/18 04:50 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
While it's not a fic, I had an idea for a series of Encyclopedia Galactica articles. Here's one;

"Oh Cham, another pet?" "Didn't we learn from the Proty fiasco?" "Or the hairless ceej infestation and quarantine?" "Or Urkzilla?"

Scuttles – genetically engineered giant centipedes used as pets in several Earth nations (but regarded with horror in North America, Mexico, the Middle East and Europe), they have no venom glands, and have the personalities of dogs, ‘programmed’ by scent when purchased to adore their owner (although mistakes can occur and you can end up with a scuttle that loves your ex-boyfriend, and is coolly tolerant of you, more like owning a cat than a dog…).

Scuttles can only eat special kibble (a security precaution) and find the smell of most other organic matter unappetizing, eating once a day to maintain their current size and activity level, or twice a day if the owner wants them to grow (up to seven or eight feet long, and as thick around as a strong man’s arm). Even the largest rarely have more than 36 legs, so nobody calls them ‘centipedes.’ Scuttles are playful and friendly, and thrive with plenty of attention and cuddling / grooming / cleaning from their ‘favorite person.’ They have little if any ability to defend themselves (although some of their play behaviors are adapted from hunting instincts and threat displays), and due to their dependency on their special kibble, and inability to reproduce, are generally thought to be unable to ‘escape into the wild’ or become strays. Like most arthropods, scuttles are fastidiously clean, and spend a fair amount of time grooming, if not kept in a tidy household. Scuttles molt infrequently, if only fed a ‘maintenance’ diet, but as often as three to four times a year if fed with the intent for growth, eating their own sheddings if allowed to, and replacing any damaged or missing legs (or antennae) with each molting. (A scuttle with a damaged leg will generally just tear it off and devour it, rather than deal with the hassle, growing a replacement with it’s next molting, and injuries like this can prompt a premature molting.) Due to their instinctual ‘programming,’ scuttles do not particularly enjoy novel experiences (such as unfamiliar people, or going for trips to unfamiliar places), yet another security precaution to keep them inside of the homes into which they’ve been introduced while young, although they can be ‘primed’ via a special scent to accept to additions to a household, or a new household, in case of a family moving.

Urban legends abound of scuttles spontaneously regrowing their venom sacs (and predatory habits) and devouring their owners, or their owners children, or guests, or neighbors, or of black labs that use genetically engineered venomous (or acid-spitting, telepathic, electrically-charged, metal-carapaced, cybernetically-enhanced, etc.) and dangerous hybrids for security, or of scuttles growing a dozen feet long and thick around as a man, or of scuttles escaping into the wild and forming wild dangerous packs of ‘zombie scuttles’ eating anything they can, starving for the nutrients they aren’t able to get from kibble any longer, but no actual evidence of such exists. They make for popular ‘true story’ documentaries, ‘though.

Invisible Brainiac #959935 09/23/18 10:27 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Random other plot bunnies hopping about in my brain-gardens;

1) The Daxamite embassy on Earth had 15 members during the Great Darkness Saga, most of whom were just embassy staff, but some having been posted on Earth, with its yellow sun, for years. Only one, the ambassadors bodyguard (largely a ceremonial task, although she took it seriously), had any sort of combat training, or experience using her powers in a fight, and when the ambassador nearly died during the initial assault of the Darkseid-controlled Daxamites, he gave her authority to use lethal force against her mind-controlled kin. She killed forty-five rampaging Daxamites (and incapacitated dozens more) during the next few hours, and the four Daxamites who held her down also died in the concentrated barrage of heat vision from a dozen others that finally took her down. Six of the fifteen Daxamite mission died during the assault, protecting Earth from their own people, and a statue memorializing ‘the six from Daxam’ stood for some time, before being taken down as ‘too controversial’ and ‘a flashpoint for xenophobes’ several years later, after multiple acts of vandalism. On Daxam, the six are remembered as heroes, but the bodyguard herself is rarely mentioned by name, due to a combination of residual guilt over the whole affair, and unspoken resentment at how she killed so many of her own people, in defense of ‘aliens.’

The current Daxamite mission to Earth has only three Daxamite members, and they remain mostly in the embassy, under red lights that mimic the properties of Daxam. When they go out for rare public statements or diplomatic work, they wear special transsuits that convert the yellow sunlight of Earth to red sunlight, as Earth is unfriendly to alien visitors, even allies, with such incredible levels of power.

Every year, new legislation is advanced to move them off-world entirely, or to require Durlans or Titanians or Bgtzlns to wear similar power-restricting gear, or for Legionnaires from powerful or controversial alien races like Mon-El, Chameleon Boy, Element Lad and Brainiac 5 to be forced to leave Earth, or at the minimum have their activities monitored and restricted, and quietly quashed in conference, thanks at least in part to backroom strong-arming and straight-up blackmail arranged by more alien-friendly and Legion-friendly individuals, using information from diverse sources, including Dev-Em, of the counter-intelligence corps, who uses his super-senses to catch rival politicians in various sketchy endeavors that, if publicized, would destroy their credibility or turn their constituents against them. (This is no idle threat, and several career-ending scandals have come to light from these actions, including one outspokenly anti-alien candidate losing support when it was discovered that he was dating a Durlan, and fully capitalizing on her ability to appear in the form of other rival politicians…) Several other ‘scandals,’ involving alien politicians, have also come to light, but these scandals conveniently never seem to involve their ‘alien’ powers or attributes, and serve instead to make them seem ‘more human.’ A Bgtzln senator will be discovered to be funneling choice government contracts to her family. A Titanian embassy aide will be revealed to have been smuggling proscribed pharmaceuticals in his diplomatic pouch. The Durlan ‘Speaker to the Outer Worlds’ will be found to have an entire closet full of expensive clothing, in violation to Durlan sumptuary laws. The conspiratorially inclined would suggest (rightly) that it seems like someone in Earthgov has been selectively releasing ‘scandals’ that make alien ambassadors seem ‘more like us,’ and perhaps squashing any that might involve xenophobe-triggering factors like alien shapeshifting or telepathy.

2) A new technology of unknown provenance has the SP concerned. 'Z-packs' are organic tech, not in itself unusual or shocking in the 31st century, that attach themselves to a humanoid torso and unfurl insect like wings, allowing for slow short range flight (nothing so extravagant as a Flight Ring). Other 'Z-tech,' which integrate seamlessly with the Z-packs, allow for feats of enhanced strength, life support (similar to a transsuit) or armor protection (a chitinous outer covering for the later two protecting from hostile environments and some attacks).

Totally unrelated, really, totally a coincidence, the Zazyl Queens have been strangely quiet, even thought it's coming up on their Swarm Time, when they breed a bunch of new Queens and send them forth to try and expand their area of dominion to new worlds and systems. (Obvs the 'Z-packs' are just clever Zazyl tech to turn the unsuspecting buyers into new Zazyl drones, and use them to help conquer their own worlds. The best way to defeat an enemy is to turn them into a friend, and the Queens have a unique twist on that.)

The Zazyl Queens control a half-dozen or so worlds, and like cicadas or locusts, go through a decade or two long cycle of warring amongst each other for influence and control before settling down to a stable domain and birthing dozens, if not hundreds, of new queens who expand in all directions from their area of space in gigantic hive ships filled with drone soldiers, to conquer new worlds and bring them into the Zazyl domain. A shadowy group within the UP has been infiltrating their worlds and trying to keep their internal bickering going, to stave off the next ‘swarm event,’ but have been caught and the Zazyl queens now have a unified purpose, beyond their internal power struggles…

The Legion (and the Heroes of Lallor, and Murra, and the Wanderers, some of whom are ‘in the area,’ others of whom have planets under imminent threat) will have to deal with this massive Zazyl swarm event, leading to a number of Zazyl sub-queens being sent to Takron-Galtos, where it is discovered that without their drones, which seem individually all-but-mindless, the queens are irrational and unbalanced. They get some sort of psychic feedback from their ‘hives,’ and in fifty years or so, Takron-Galtos will be administered by Zazyl queen ‘wardens,’ who recognize Takron-Galtos as ‘their’ world, and yet have integrated into the United Planets, having finally found a ‘place’ in which their instinctive biological need to control and organize entire worlds serves a purpose. (The ‘free’ Zazyl queens will regard them dangerous freaks, precedent to a horrible future where they will be, to their own minds, slaves to the other races of the UP, which should be properly slaves of theirs. The notion that these ‘race-traitor’ UP Zazyl queens on Takron-Galtos have *jobs* and are serving a productive role in the society of lesser races is an outrage to them.) But that's a tale for the far-flung future of even this far-flung future!

The entity some call Queen Bee 3000 appears as a humanoid insect queen sitting on a massive throne in her command ship that looks like a mantis the size of a small building, and when she’s threatened, she seems to fall backwards into it, revealing that she is simply a mobile command unit and the giant bug is her actual body, kept on life-support until needed, with organic feeding tubes falling away as it rises to the attack. Having had to deal with Green Lantern Corps interference with their attempt to colonize/conquer the universe, the Zazl queens use particles of weaponized dark matter to negate and destroy energy constructs (and force fields, and similar energy effects), storing them in special pouches carried by drones (or within the giant body of the queen) and scattering them like pollen to dissolve ring constructs used against them. The pheromones she uses to control her drones (which are like winged xenomorphs with spinnarets, acid spit and a venomous paralytic bite) has been adapted to be addictive and selectively pleasurable or painful to many types of humanoid, allowing the queens to enslave entire worlds. Zazl queens start off as clones of each other, but quickly become independent and competitive rivals, with some physical differences appearing over time, as they self-mutate. She has defenses in her throne room to deal with various other threats, such as red sun lights to drain the power of Kryptonians (or Daxamites), and a disruptive kind of pollen that eats its way through transsuits and renders otherwise ‘protected’ people vulnerable to her pheromone powers or bio-chemical attacks.

Last edited by Set; 09/23/18 10:33 PM.

Invisible Brainiac #959943 09/24/18 04:05 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
Some good stuff here, Set! I really like the scuttles idea and how you wrote it.

I like your idea of the Daxamites depowering themselves off-planet. I had a similar idea for the Reboot where, as a result of the White Triangle rampage, all Daxamites now have to wear an armband that limits their powers BUT leaves them enough to defend themselves (i.e. increased resistance to injury and slightly enhanced strength, so they won't be sitting ducks in a fistfight). I love your "six from Daxam" idea, and the exploration of the xenophobia that comes with it, and Earthgov keeping the Legion and fighting xenophobia by selective blackmail...

And the Zazyl idea is brilliant! A large-scale war between the UP and Zazyl would be fun to see.

Invisible Brainiac #959952 09/24/18 04:36 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
Random one-issue ideas from me:

1) Legionnaires and siblings. A compare/contrast on various sibling relationships. From the Reboot:

- Cosmic Boy and little bro Pol, who have a healthy relationship. Pol is slaying the magno-ball courts too, like Rokk did. What does Pol think about that? Any "shadow of my big bro" issues?
- Saturn Girl and little sister Jancel, Jancel is envious while Imra seems oblivious. What does Imra think? Garth noticed this right away, could Imra really be so blind?
- Live Wire and Spark with older bro Mekt, whooo boy.
- Kinetix and little bro Thanot. They seem to have a good relationship, but Thanot always rolled his eyes at Zoe's search for magic.
- Sensor and brother Prince Willum; Sensor abdicated in favor of her little bro. The siblings are united in pushing for reforms on Orando. Have them
- Kid Quantum II thinking of her deceased bro Kid Q I. They had a difficult relationship growing up
- Magno and nasshead older brother Omar, cool younger sis Trin, and younger bro Lev. The biggest family here. Lots of dynamics there, Magno and Trin get along and they both think Omar is a #*@*!&

2) Legionnaires on vacation. What would each do while taking down-time? We could find some interesting hobbies or likes that some have

Invisible Brainiac #959955 09/24/18 06:07 AM
R
Legionnaire!
Online Content
Legionnaire!
R
I like both those ideas IB...superhero families always tend to be other superheroes or supervillains, I'd like to see how the ones with normal families (whatever that means) go...eg with the preboot: what was Dawnstar's home life like to make her how she is? How are Tinya and her brother these days?

I'd also like to see some exploration of the weirder worlds; what is society on Hykraius like? The Subs special played Bismoll's gluttony patrol for laughs, but on a world where people can eat anything inorganic, is that actually a serious consideration? That kinda thing smile

Invisible Brainiac #959966 09/24/18 07:03 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
Thanks, raz! Yeah, there are still a few Reboot Legionnaires whose families have NEVER been seen or mentioned, that I can remember.

Violet (no insight whatsoever into her origins!)
Star Boy (even his origin story starts with him leaving Xanthu for the Legion!)
Karate Kid (we just know he was raised by his sensei)
Gates (though he did say that Vyrgans get a little care after hatching, then become independent soon after)
Dreamer (she just says she's the first precognitive Naltorian born in seven generations)
Timber Wolf
Gear
Wildfire (we know his "component" entities in the Reboot have families, but that's it)

There are others whose families have only been mentioned in passing. But a panel or two is enough to give us a good idea!

Ultra Boy's mom meets Apparition, and we learn that she doesn't know who Jo's dad is. She didn't even know Jo was a Legionnaire; and Jo's said several times his only "friends" were his gang. Would that affect how he treats Cub?
Umbra's mom is dead, and she was raised by priests while her mom was alive so no single incident could kill both of them. Her origin issue explores well how that shaped her worldview and ambitions.

And so on and on.

Single issues exploring life on individual homeworlds sounds fun! What are other snake-people on Orando like? How does the typical Xanthusian react to Xanthu's reputation as a backwater world? Do Lallorians feel like a second-class Earth? How similar is Aarok to Earth? Enwans have big eyes so they can function in the "four-cycle" night; how do they cope with the long darkness? Does Enwa have a special relationship with Kathoon, another world with similar challenges?

And I could see a single issue showing us what everyone on the team does for fun. Legionnaires 59 in the Reboot did that, but some (M'Onel, Kinetix, Brainiac 5, Umbra, Gates, Star Boy, Monstress) were on missions. Still, we know enough about them to guess what they'd do!

Invisible Brainiac #959973 09/24/18 10:14 AM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Originally Posted by Invisible Brainiac
- Kinetix and little bro Thanot. They seem to have a good relationship, but Thanot always rolled his eyes at Zoe's search for magic.

I felt like there was always going to be something there, with her name meaning Life and his name meaning Death (and her having Life Lass sort of powers, at one point, imbuing a life-like animation to unliving objects). Would Thanot eventually have some sort of de-animation, energy/momentum-draining or 'death' related powers?

I also wondered about Rokk's brother Pol. Rokk has been, in some iterations of the Legion, abnormally strong magnokinetically for a Braalian (and / or abnormally skilled, in versions where he was a world champion Magnoball player). Pol, as far as I know, was neither abnormally powerful *or* abnormally skilled (i.e. not a world-champion / best on Braal). Did he sort of slide in as a legacy, despite not being particularly awesome? Would that result in massive guilt, and not just on Rokk's part, if Pol didn't go on to have a long and heroic career, but instead a quick death, because 'my brother was a founding Legionnaire' turns out to not be enough to pass muster?

Imra's sister might be in a similar boat. Imra's clearly amazingly powerful *and* skilled, able to broadcast over a planetary range and perform all sorts of complicated telepathic feats like rearranging memories and mental blasts and psychic illusions and seizing control of other people's minds. Presumably the average Titanian is no more capable of this than I am of singing for 2 hours straight or shattering glass with a perfect note (things that *can* be done, vocally, but I sure can't do!), and Imra's sister is no exception, which could lead to resentment on her part. Anything she can do, Imra can do better. Anything she could *learn* to do, Imra has probably already mastered. That could be frustrating, and lead to her being an underachiever, as a sort of self-fulfilling prophecy. "I'll never win, I might as well not play." Or it could lead to Jancel deciding to become good at something Imra is not doing, to avoid competition, such as becoming an artist or a performer of some kind, or a scientist, or a doctor, or even getting into politics, using her sister's fame to springboard her own career, rather than complaining about it.

Invisible Brainiac #959979 09/24/18 11:16 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
At least in the Reboot, Pol Krinn is shown several times doing extremely well on the magno-ball courts. There at least, his status is unassailable. But yeah, in the Preboot his skill wasn't demonstrated quite as much.

Jancel definitely was affected by Imra being such a prodigy. In the Reboot, she was maybe a little older than Lori Morning (Lori was 10/11, Jancel seemed maybe 12/13). Her mechanism was trying to steal Garth away from Imra, to get the one thing she could have over Imra. But she was dealing with it in an unhealthy way, and Garth finally had to tell her off by saying she should get her own life. This relates to your idea: that she could find something else of her own that Imra couldn't do.

I was also thinking about Thanot being able to steal momentum/energy, though with Kid Quantum II showing up might have dampered THAT plan. I was also wondering if he could become the Emerald Emperor; and maybe he and Zoe could battle over how to use the Eye. Zoe might try to use it for good, while Thanot might be more nihilistic and try to destroy life to end suffering, or destroy society because it's evil, or some such.

Invisible Brainiac #960043 09/24/18 02:24 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Originally Posted by Invisible Brainiac
I was also thinking about Thanot being able to steal momentum/energy, though with Kid Quantum II showing up might have dampered THAT plan. I was also wondering if he could become the Emerald Emperor; and maybe he and Zoe could battle over how to use the Eye. Zoe might try to use it for good, while Thanot might be more nihilistic and try to destroy life to end suffering, or destroy society because it's evil, or some such.

I feel like Garth and Mekt already have the 'good sibling/evil sibling' rivalry down, so, going with how Zoe isn't 100% idealistically 'good' but has some negative traits not often associated with heroes (her desire for power, and occasional willingness to cross some lines to get there), making her more morally complex (and realistic) than someone like Captain America or Shazam, who can come off as 'boy scouts' or 'goody two-shoes,' I would rather that Thanot, even if he goes a little dark, still be more complex than say, Mekt, and have some good traits, making him, at worst, more of an anti-hero than an actual villain. (Although I like the idea of him being opposed to his sister in some way, and not quite the same as the Garth / Ayla dynamic, where they both are heroes on the same team. Perhaps the nature of his powers are antithetical to Zoe's, and they cancel each other out, or react adversely, or even cause some sort of subconscious antagonism between them, so that it's better if they stay apart.)

Goodnesss, that was an unreasonably long run-on sentence up there. No one use me as a writing example!

Invisible Brainiac #960054 09/24/18 02:52 PM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
Hahaha!

You make a good point about Zoe's moral complexity, though. Maybe this could be developed into Zoe and Thanot both wanting to help people, but Zoe is more positive and "people are inherently good so we guide and help", and Thanot being more "people can't control themselves so we need a heavy hand".

Invisible Brainiac #960899 10/06/18 09:48 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
Halloween Issue- Candy Night

A trade discovers a container floating in outer space and discovers it is full of mushrooms. The crew decides to sell them on Mars, and before you know it, parasitic mushrooms are taking over the planet. It might be more fun to make this a Legion Academy or Legion of Substitutes issue.

Invisible Brainiac #960908 10/06/18 11:45 AM
K
Leader
Leader
K
An ordinary 31st-century Earth boy discovers Superboy's Ugly Yellow Costume. When he dons the costume, it provides him a sort of invulnerabilty, preventing all injury to him. (At least, from the neck down.) Embarking on a career as 'Substitute Boy', excitement and hilarity ensue.

"It was a nice idea, but it didn't work! I'll never wear this costume again!"

Invisible Brainiac #960959 10/07/18 01:44 PM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
I always thought of having a one-issue story where the Legionnaires handle some kind of natural calamity on Earth. Weather control is hacked or something. And each panel features a Legionnaire in a different 30th century city. This would allow us to see how varied locales such as Paris, New York, London, Beijing, Singapore, Tokyo, Nairobi, Tashkent, Moscow, Sydney, Fiji, Rio de Janeiro, Cairo, Madagascar, Nepal, etc. have changed in 1000 years.

Invisible Brainiac #1018863 09/24/22 05:30 PM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
The Pre-Darkness Preboot Legion is threatened by a new villain, Ultimax. His power is to create convincing illusions of the most negative, nihilistic future fates possible for each Legionnaire, to the point where they don't know what's real and what isn't, nor what's present and what is future. He is defeated by Projectra and revealed to be descended from Orandian "modernist" exiles who had settled on another planet and turned it into a dystopia.

Still "Fickles" to my friends.
Invisible Brainiac #1018877 09/25/22 05:31 AM
R
Legionnaire!
Online Content
Legionnaire!
R
Too late now obviously, but a day in the life of Tellus or Quislet would have been a good idea for a one-shot story to really explore how they're different from the more humanoid Legionnaires

Invisible Brainiac #1018878 09/25/22 05:34 AM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Reports are that Timber Wolf has gone berserk and attacked some visitors from off-world in Neotokyo! But Timber Wolf is on mission monitor duty, and receives this call?

Legal misunderstandings and bad press abound, and finally an android duplicate of Brin is taken down, only for a few similar sightings to be made near the site of the takedown, and the response team shows up just in time to stop Brin from angrily smashing the rest of these android imposters ruining his reputation as it is revealed that not all of them are androids! One or two are brainwashed innocent people wearing holo-disguises, and whoever the big bad* is who sent the androids to sully Brin's reputation was, they also sent in some brainwashed innocents to (hopefully) get mangled by an angry Brin!

*Is it Karth An? It's Karth An, expert in android duplicates, brainwashing people into thinking they're something else, and hater of Brin! smile

Invisible Brainiac #1018880 09/25/22 05:40 AM
R
Legionnaire!
Online Content
Legionnaire!
R
I am a big fan of Karth Arn being developed as more of a nemesis for Timber Wolf!

Invisible Brainiac #1018882 09/25/22 06:04 AM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
I'd like to know what you all think of my idea.

Ann Hebistand #1018886 09/25/22 09:20 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally Posted by Ann Hebistand
The Pre-Darkness Preboot Legion is threatened by a new villain, Ultimax. His power is to create convincing illusions of the most negative, nihilistic future fates possible for each Legionnaire, to the point where they don't know what's real and what isn't, nor what's present and what is future. He is defeated by Projectra and revealed to be descended from Orandian "modernist" exiles who had settled on another planet and turned it into a dystopia.

I'm always ready for a good dragging of badly executed ideas via the characters reacting "Oh God why would you do that to me?!" but with a character who has more potential beyond a one-note role.

Invisible Brainiac #1018887 09/25/22 09:27 AM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
Good point well taken, Sarky.

Perhaps he might have potential for greater development in subsequent appearances? Like, for example, going into greater detail about his origin and his ancestors, the self-styled modernists who broke away from their medieval world?

Invisible Brainiac #1018888 09/25/22 09:31 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
He could be used for an interesting metaphor about the dangers of gentrification and the illusion of progress rather than ACTUAL progress

Sarcasm Kid #1018890 09/25/22 09:40 AM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
Originally Posted by Sarcasm Kid
He could be used for an interesting metaphor about the dangers of gentrification and the illusion of progress rather than ACTUAL progress

Agreed 100 percent!

Invisible Brainiac #1021578 12/31/22 07:14 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Tryouts idea I lost interest in;

Tryouts – Ballet Boy / Balleteer / Ballerino
Judging – Timber Wolf, Lightning Lass, Chameleon Boy, White Witch
Powers – minuet = 500 MPH dash, flying leap = flight, pirouette = tornado, hoist = anti-gravity lift, swan abreast – invulnerability, en pointe = ???
Someone comments that the tornado thing at least counts as a 'unique power' but White Witch demonstrates that she can create a (tiny) tornado as well, conjuring a minor air elemental spirit, and stresses that 'Ballet Boys' powers are not relevant, he is a performer and a showman at heart, not a champion or a hero, and that he has no place on the Legion.

He *wants* to be rejected because he merchandizes his ‘adventures’ and intends to milk the grievance of the ‘jealous’ Legionnaires rejecting him. Mysa read his online stuff during his exhibition, “I was not born on the Sorcerer’s World. On Naltor, we have healing crystals and incense, yes, but we also have computers and starships…”

Cham tricks him into thinking that he’s been accepted, but needs to go through a six month trial period at the Academy, knowing that he has a tour planned and wanted to milk the grievance of Legion rejection to get free advertising to boost turnout. He storms out, denied the flouncy exit he had planned.

I just liked the notion of someone who is trying out mainly because he's an 'influencer,' and wants to be soak up the publicity of grousing about his 'unfair rejection.'

Last edited by Set; 01/04/23 07:03 PM.

Invisible Brainiac #1021579 12/31/22 07:35 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
A one-issue or half-issue 'backup feature' not about a Legionnaire, but about a Legion *villain.*

The Emerald Empress is confronted by three floating figures. Clad in battered golden armor and orbited by the three surviving fragments of the Topaz Tear of Tybalt, the cruel warlord known as the Topaz Tyrant. An older woman in a silver metallic skintight suit, over which she wears flowing blue robes, the Sapphire Star of Sintar hovering by her side, atop an ornate silver staff, the cold and calculating Sapphire Suzereign. And eyeing them both suspiciously, clutching like a wand the cabochon-cut Ruby Rod of Rotepi with a miser's grip, the capricious and paranoid Ruby Regent. They call her usurper, not the rightful holder of the Emerald Eye, but she refutes this, saying that she won the Eye, and so earned it, as they all earned their own symbols of power. In any event, the four of them must work together, as the enigmatic Diamond Doge (Dauphin? Daimyo?) has chosen to eliminate all others, and nearly slew the Topaz Tyrant (and shattered the Topaz Tear, which still functions, even broken into three fragments!). Only working together can they keep the power to which they have grown accustomed!

And yes, they are all bad people, in different ways. (The Suzereign being the least 'evil' of them, but she's still 'lawful' to the point of being darn close...) But this Diamond whomever? Not someone we want with the power of all five of these artifacts, or to be unopposed in their own ambitions, by these 'devils that we know'...

I love making lists for no reason. (OCD much?) So I had a blast exploring the dozens of different names for different titles of royalty or nobility (like Empress or Tyrant or Regent) and for different precious stones. Pearl Pharoah? Jacinth Justicar? Onyx Overlord? Amethyst Amir? Sard Sultana? So many options, but I really wanted to stick to the 'big' gemstones. Emerald, ruby, topaz, diamond, sapphire. And yes, I know at least two of those are just different colors of corundum, but Corundum Count just doesn't sing, yanno? smile

The notion that there might be more than one of these 'Emerald Eye' type artifacts, and nothing so boring and predictable as a second eye, amuses me.

Then again, I've already tapped this well by proposing the notion that there are more weapons like the Atomic Axe out there, left behind by it's creators, so perhaps I've spent too much time dipping from this well...

Last edited by Set; 12/31/22 07:39 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,020
Posts1,045,113
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
The Crusader
The Crusader
LMBP Outpost
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star