Roll Call
1 members (Eryk Davis Ester, Eryk Davis Ester, Eryk Davis Ester, Eryk Davis Ester), 60 Murran Spies, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Recent Legion-verse sightings in DCU proper
by Nightcrawler - 05/17/24 04:29 PM
Kill This Thread LIII - There's a Joker in Here!
by Ann Hebistand - 05/17/24 03:40 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/17/24 02:51 PM
Legion Trivia 6
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/17/24 01:47 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Eryk Davis Ester - 05/17/24 08:20 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/17/24 06:19 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/17/24 06:19 AM
Happy birthday, stile86!
by razsolo - 05/17/24 05:44 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Jeff Lemire's QUANTUM AGE - The Legion of the Black Hammer Verse
Sarcasm Kid #963265 11/17/18 01:59 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Yeah the last issue opened ... 100 years from now ... the origin of the Black Hammer (of the league) pre her membership in the Quantum League .. then cut to a scene where she is all jaded and the Quantum League has broken down ala 5 year gap ... which is said to be 25 whole years later. (I'd be up for her being 1000 years old but that doesn't seem to be whats going on).

So, the timeline's not great because it seems like according to the first issue: Spiral City 3041 AD. Which is the dark 5ygap version and contemporary era of the series.

The first issue says 25 years earlier to 3041 (5YG), we cut to the heroes in their golden age, Hammer Lass, Archive, Storm Girl ... that armadillo ...

So was Hammer Lass in the Quantum League for less than one year even if the "100" was a typo meant to be "1000" ? Including her romance with Archive which is a major part of the series.

I am leaning towards shoddy writing ... which is bizarre since Jeff Lemire is awesome.

Maybe it has to do with Chronokus/Time Trapper. (?)

Last edited by Power Boy; 11/17/18 02:06 AM.
Sarcasm Kid #963266 11/17/18 02:07 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
I mean I don't truly mind because the series is wacky but it does seem like a major oversight or gaffe. Which is really weird because there is not all that much text in the issues, and I don't think Lemire could forget that its 1000 years in the future rather than 100 .. twice ...

Power Boy #963267 11/17/18 06:12 AM
Trap Timer
Online Happy
Trap Timer
I thought about it being a 100/1000 typo, but since they spell it out as "One Hundred" and it's said twice (both in the caption and in dialogue), it seems deliberate.

Then I thought that maybe she was a time traveler (like Supergirl!) who travels 900 years to the future to join the League, but that doesn't seem to work given that the "twenty-five years later" is pretty clearly the main setting of the story. And it really seems like they would've made that more explicit if it was what was going on.

So, yeah, I'm completely confused.

Sarcasm Kid #963272 11/17/18 07:24 AM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
There have been a couple of editing errors, yeah. They referred to Gravity Lad as Gravity Boy at one point. But was that the other way around?

Sarcasm Kid #963283 11/17/18 12:41 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
I am hopeful that the time travelling things is part of the wider plot, and will make sense as it goes. There's possibly different timelines at play.

Hammer Lass' great-great grandmother claims to be from the 21st century. She would have passed on her hammer to someone of that time, but Chronokos has convinced her otherwise. So, she has travelled to the 31st century, seemingly stopped in the time of the Quantum League, and then moved 100 years further on to pass on her hammer. Hammer Lass may have gone back in time by a century to join the Quantum League. 25 years after that falls apart, Hammer Lass will travel to the end of time to contact Chronokos.

It seems to have been Gravity Lad, even on his trading card, before Barbali-teen calls him Gravity Boy in the cliffhanger. Let's hope there's not both or someone is going to be attacked needlessly. smile

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Sarcasm Kid #963292 11/17/18 02:50 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
so grandma travels to 3041 ... then 100 years later ... then 25 years after 3041. Then the new Hammer Lass goes back to 3016 to join the League and fall in love with Archive.

"Now" being 3041.

It could just be referencing wacky future time travel in comics.

Sarcasm Kid #963368 11/19/18 01:44 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
I thought grandma travelled to 3041, then 100 years later and that it was the granddaughter who went back 100 years to join the League and then 25 years at snail pace from that date.

Of course, it's been a day now and the universe is papering over the time paradoxes in my brain, like it always does. smile

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Sarcasm Kid #963390 11/19/18 08:15 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
yes, i think you are right, i didn't express myself correctly.

but at this moment it is so wacky i won't even bother to correct myself. haha!

Sarcasm Kid #963401 11/20/18 02:29 AM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Yeah "right" doesn't mean much when it's second guessing a plot containing a Trapper. smile

Sarcasm Kid #963645 11/27/18 09:09 PM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
I got my copy and... yeah once again that reveal was lost on me. I know who the character is but I'm not shocked about it.

Sarcasm Kid #963657 11/28/18 11:08 AM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
I was a little surprised at the closeness of the reveals to the main Black Hammer book. Now Lemire could have fun with time travel and retcons, but it does seem to show who survives the main series by at least 1000 years. Mind you, all of the Superman family turned up in the Legion so... time travel and retcons again...

Sarcasm Kid #964287 12/14/18 04:21 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Issue 5 Legion connections

Cloaked figure on the cover has Time Trapper vibes. The smaller characters look like they are to be used as pawns or puppets, just like a Trapper scheme.
The Colonel has looped through time, just as the Infinite Man did. (His teleportation doors look just like those of the Authority)
The Colonel goes to the end of time, which is where the Trapper dwells.
Talky is in charge of this universe's Colu.
Madame Dragonfly has become the very Mysa-like Madame Buttterfly.

The issue is a set up for next issue's confrontation between our reassembled team and their former friend and now foe. Two of the characters from Black Hammer continue to play prominent parts, and there are plenty of Legion connections with the two of them. A third character also returns with some Legion notes added at the end of the issue.

thoth lad #971236 05/18/19 01:40 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Originally Posted by thoth lad
It seems to have been Gravity Lad, even on his trading card, before Barbali-teen calls him Gravity Boy in the cliffhanger. Let's hope there's not both or someone is going to be attacked needlessly. smile

I just got and read the collected edition of 1-6, and gosh, the writer sure was inconsistent with names and stuff. A character referred to on-panel as Fireball is shown in the creator sketches as Furnace Lad. An asian woman with a lotus symbol on her chest and drawn in a martial arts-y flying high kick that was always smiling and joking (and I referred to as 'Laughing Lotus' in absence of anything better to call her) turns out to have been name-checked as Stratus or Stratum, suggesting wind powers (when I had thought she might be the Karate Kid of this 'Legion'). Modula, one of the three founders, along with Gravitus and Archive, has teleportation powers, except when she can blow up ships with some sort of energy from her hands. Most characters are little more than names like 'Laser Phaser' who may or may not be the same person as 'Laser Lad.' Others don't even have that, like the dude with the stag antlers or the lady with wasp wings and a yellowjacket-looking helmet.

This book has potential, but could benefit from a content/consistency editor in the worst way.

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
Sarcasm Kid #971306 05/19/19 10:54 PM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
The Asian girl had been called Judo Girl in the individual issues.

But yeah I noticed this book needed a better editor.

Sarcasm Kid #971313 05/20/19 08:00 AM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Originally Posted by Sarcasm Kid
The Asian girl had been called Judo Girl in the individual issues.

Huh, she's called Stratum in the same panel that calls 'Furnace Lad' Fireball... Perhaps Judo Girl and Furnace Lad are their 'classic Legion' Lad/Lass names, and Fireball and Stratum are their shiny new single word Reboot names, like Umbra and Livewire? smile

But yeah I noticed this book needed a better editor.

But yes, this is true. smile

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
Sarcasm Kid #973407 07/03/19 04:41 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
A World of Black Hammer Encyclopaedia was released this week, following very much in the steps of DC's Who's Who. There's an entry for the Quantum League, allowing me to add in a few more details to the cast images I had. Some of the names seem to have been changed since the single issues were released. I wonder if they got a little too close to the Legion? They weren't consistent even in their own book with Gravity Lad/ Gravity Boy being used within the space of a few pages.

No doubt there will be a crossover between the two teams at some point.

There's even a nod to Legion World in the last issue of it, as we see the team arrive on Quantum World. smile

[Linked Image from i66.tinypic.com]

Antler Boy = Tusker
Archive 5 = Brainiac 5
Doppler Damsel = Duplicate Damsel
ERB = Tellus + Cosmic Boy
Furnace Lad = Sun Boy
Glue Girl = Light Lass
Goliathan = Blok
Gravity Lad = Star Boy
Hammer Lass =
Hornet Girl = Insect Queen
Ice Boy = Polar Boy
Lasar Phaser = Wildfire
Mechanos = Gear
Modula = Gates + Element Lad
Monster Boy = Chameleon Boy
Storm Girl = Nightwind / Harmonia
Judo Girl = Karate Kid
Trionic
Gorilla Girl = Monstress
Barbaliteen = Martian Manhunter in 30th Century

Sarcasm Kid #973409 07/03/19 06:13 PM
Trap Timer
Online Happy
Trap Timer
Antler Lad is clearly an homage to the LMB's own erstwhile ally Antler Lass and her giant rack!

Sarcasm Kid #973420 07/03/19 08:46 PM
Wanderer
OP Offline
Wanderer
Where was this posted?

Sarcasm Kid #973438 07/04/19 05:57 AM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Some new details, such as character names, are in The Black Hammer Encyclopedia book.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,022
Posts1,045,416
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
crooow, DrJohnnyDiablo, sheer
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Mediocre Boy
Mediocre Boy
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star