Roll Call
1 members (rickshaw1, rickshaw1, rickshaw1, rickshaw1, rickshaw1, rickshaw1, rickshaw1), 38 Murran Spies, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Alt Id's I might consider changing to ....
by rickshaw1 - 05/02/24 08:51 PM
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by rickshaw1 - 05/02/24 08:47 PM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Legion Tracker - 05/02/24 04:32 PM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Ann Hebistand - 05/02/24 12:15 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/02/24 11:41 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/02/24 11:40 AM
Legion Trivia 6
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/02/24 11:09 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: A Look Back: Crisis on Infinite Earths #1-12
Ann Hebistand #965025 12/30/18 12:16 PM
Independent Scholar
OP Offline
Independent Scholar
Originally Posted by thoth
You could also have run Crisis with Darkseid as the villain, and the goal being a reformed universe under the control of his anti-life equation. The worlds he converts become dark shadows of life.

I have often wondered whether the effects of the Anti-Life Equation would necessarily be harmful, or if that's just the consensus theory in the DCU. If one looks at life like it is brief, brutal, and unfulfilling...well, then...wouldn't Anti-Life appeal to impressionable sentients as the ultimate form of transcendence?

I know that we did see the actual results of the Anti-Life Equation in Final Crisis, but I don't consider that canon because, quite simply, I think Final Crisis was awful.

I do consider Swamp Thing #62 canon, because the concept that *Love* is a key factor of the Anti-Life Equation opens up a multitude of possibilities.

Hmmm...this isn't exactly on-topic anymore. Cosmic...wooooo…deep...

So...more CoIE? smile

Still "Fickles" to my friends.
Ann Hebistand #965053 12/30/18 03:55 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Comments

Originally Posted by Ibby
Lovely cover, with Barry Allen holding an unconscious Psycho Pirate by the shirt - like he just finished punching him out.

Perez was channelling some Infantino for Barry’s “last” appearance.

Inside. Pirate blabs about his fear of Anti-Monny to Flash, who is stuck in some kind of speed-sapping gel. Oh whoop-dee-doo, if Anti-Monny had that then why bother having such an unreliable tool (and I mean tool in both senses of the word) as Pirate control Barry, then? Ah well, like most things about both Monny and Anti-Monny so far, this requires a touch of hand-waving. … So perhaps Anti-M (heh, Auntie M) made time to create Barry's gel because it was necessary or something. I don't know anymore.

To Wolfman’s sort of credit, he had Barry’s last scene worked out, rather than it just being a single plot point. But it hasn’t saved it from having some shaky foundations. Other Events don’t even have it this well planned.

Obligatory Darkseid appearance, to show why HE isn't taking advantage of all this, or acting. Ah, so he's hiding and biding his time. Okay, got it.

Editorially mandated non-interference policy. smile

Back to Oa. Finally, we see what happened to the GLs and the Guardians, it's been a few issues. Several unnamed Lanterns are dead, of course they wouldn't kill any famous or even any semi-famous ones without naming them specifically.

Not editorially mandated but a product of the plot. Bear in mind that the early Crisis plot had a Guardian be very proactive in the story. I much prefer that to them being the victims of Plot Convenience. Even more so as every subsequent Event followed this route.

Incidentally, in Powers the main character gets recruited to a GLC equivalent. The survival time for wearers of their galactic device is very short, as a nod to Events like this.

Besides Brainy, only Chameleon Boy (who hasn't exactly been known for his scientific abilities, unlike Dream GIrl or Mon-El) is helping Brainy. Everyone else is just standing around looking and being all concerned about Brainy. Name drops, name drops.

I figured Reep was working the monitors for the other. Poor Brainy just has to take care of everything else. smile

So it seems the group is rallying to help Red Tornado. Interesting motley mix here. Martian Manhunter and Vixen are currently active Justice League members, but why only them? Zatanna (was she still active then?) and perhaps Steel could have contributed something for sure (and Vixen doesn't exactly have the powers or scientific knowledge for this!) And why call Firestorm of all people? Firehawk's along for the ride. Cyborg and Atom I understand, and TO Morrow. And later on, John Stewart gets called in to bring in Blue Devil. Why John?

Zatanna was active at that point. I think she was absent because she’d already been successful in helping to defeat the Tornado storm. In order to keep this plot going, she couldn’t be allowed to succeed again.

Steel doesn’t really have the science knowledge to be able to contribute. His grandfather would have been the more sensible recruit. But that plot was still being played out in the JLD.

Firestorm is there because he has a connection to the Tornado Champion being combined with the Tornado Tyrant within the shell of Red Tornado. It’s from 192/193.

I think John is there because of the power of the ring to analyse Red Tornado. He is the resident Green Lantern, so it’s also good to see him interact with his peer group in the JLA.

Wow. J'Onn is a bit cold to Firehawk here huh? Asking for more distance becauseof the fire (despite J'Onn standing next to Firestorm in another panel), and curtly dismissing her question of why the League abandoned the satellite. A less secure hero might have been all "Hey, Firestorm, does J'Onn not like me?"

There was a similar coolness in a bit of #200 between them and that’s what a bit of this dialogue reminds me of. As for the satellite reply, I think it’s a little dig because neither Wolman nor Perez had the faintest why the League had changed so much. smile

And now Blue Devil gets deposited onto an Omega Man ship, and that's the last we see of him for awhile (though we are helpfully directed to his own book for answers. Ah, he has an ongoing, he'll be fine!) The Omega Men, I don't know.

I think the Omega Me were on the slate for all getting killed off at one point. I’d not like to be in a crossover with them, if that happened.

All I know are their names and some characterization - Shlagen is a coward, Rynoc is a warrior, I guess Doc is smart, and Zirral is a female. Sadly, they didn't give her more depth than that in her couple of lines.

I only knew of them from that Teen Titans storyline. I didn’t recognise any of these guys.

For some reason, even Batman's thought bubble shows up, so Barry is now telepathic.

I forgot to mention that. It gave me a chuckle reading the issue.

And poor Barry turns into dust while he's running. Crap. This is sad, and really I think the impact of this issue is diminished only by coming so soon after Supergirl's own death.

It’s a good point about Event plotting. If you have a major character die in every issue, it has less of an impact. Here, we had two major ones in quick succession. Neither of them completely derailed the plans of the villain.

The A-M cannon is pulled out of nowhere to give Barry a reason to sacrifice himself. This does set up the next act, but it feels more like a lull than anything else. Still, Barry's sacrifice is touching.

Yeah, both heroes dying so that AM has to delve once more into the ACME Device catalogue for the following month could have been better. There’s lots of tension within the issues themselves but, as is the nature of set pieces, they struggle to really work with the wider narrative.

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Ann Hebistand #965054 12/30/18 03:56 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive

Originally Posted by Annfie
…and, worst of all, the "death" of the Guardians from several issues ago turns out to be a fake-out! Mad

Despite having built various versions of Crisis around the GLC, the plot form them seemed to loop on itself.

1) A lot of people, myself included, have speculated on whether CoIE would have been better if Darkseid and the rest of the Fourth World villains had been the event's Designated Big Bads. Based on how surprisingly good this one-page appearance of Darkseid and DeSaad is, I have to say...THANK THE SOURCE THEY WEREN'T! Which might seem contradictory, but please bear with me. I have established, through extensive critiques in this thread, that I think CoIE is a big, sorry mess. Therefore, why should Kirby's Fourth World creations be tainted by the same lameness? No, I am now firmly convinced that things happened exactly as they should have as far as the Kirby characters and CoIE are concerned.

I do think that Darkseid and the Forth World would make for an excellent alternative to Crisis. But it wouldn’t be Crisis. And I agree with you that, had it gone through the various plot loops and holes as the actual Crisis did, then it would have been just as flawed. I think Kirby would have had to have been involved in the plotting of the thing, and that would have also resulted in a very, very different story. You couldn’t have him working on The Hunger Dogs and then sweep it all from under him.

But Barry Allen finding his cojones, kicking the Psycho-Pirate's ass, using stealth and strategy to turn the Qwardians against the Anti-Monitor, and finally, sacrificing himself to save the universe by using his super-power to destroy the Anti-Matter Cannon...I love, love, LOVE that entire sequence. It's believable, it's engaging, and it doesn't require continuity fudging or cosmic bull-poop or out-of-character behavior to work.

The Barry Allen sequence is exactly what I think CoIE *should* have been in its entirety, not just one isolated sequence amidst an ocean of dross.

The question is, *could* it have been that good in its entirety?... And my educated guess is: Maybe.

Possibly not in its entirety, but it could certainly have been a lot better. It did need an editorial steer, just to keep on top of the logistics of the thing. Having your artist step in part way through is far from ideal. It’s lucky it was Perez, but it shouldn’t have reached that point. Giordano on editorial and inking duties would have been ideal.

For the sake of balance, considering how compromised nearly all of the subsequent Events were, this might be as good as it can get for DC.

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Ann Hebistand #965055 12/30/18 04:14 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Originally Posted by Ann Hebistand
You could also have run Crisis with Darkseid as the villain, and the goal being a reformed universe under the control of his anti-life equation. The worlds he converts become dark shadows of life.

I have often wondered whether the effects of the Anti-Life Equation would necessarily be harmful, or if that's just the consensus theory in the DCU. If one looks at life like it is brief, brutal, and unfulfilling...well, then...wouldn't Anti-Life appeal to impressionable sentients as the ultimate form of transcendence?

I know that we did see the actual results of the Anti-Life Equation in Final Crisis, but I don't consider that canon because, quite simply, I think Final Crisis was awful.

I do consider Swamp Thing #62 canon, because the concept that *Love* is a key factor of the Anti-Life Equation opens up a multitude of possibilities.

So...more CoIE? smile

I’d certainly consider this to be a definite possibility for the end of a Darkseid Crisis. He grasps that the solution to his equation must encompass all of creation, not only the single universe where he currently wars with Highfather.

In the end, he does collapse the multiverse into a single equation. But it’s not an anti-life he can control. It’s only the end of what was and the beginning of life in the new single universe beyond. The hand at the dawn of time is his, as it always has and always will be.

Orion’s hand will be the one to push him down this final path, fulfilling the prophecy of the New Gods as the Fifth World begins.

Ann Hebistand #965067 12/30/18 05:30 PM
Independent Scholar
OP Offline
Independent Scholar
To Wolfman’s sort of credit, he had Barry’s last scene worked out, rather than it just being a single plot point. But it hasn’t saved it from having some shaky foundations.

Shaky plot foundations don't really bother me that much as long as the story beats are exquisitely timed and explosively executed. See also: The Steve Epting Avengers. smile

Despite having built various versions of Crisis around the GLC, the plot form them seemed to loop on itself.

FEH! John Broome would've done the entire story in just one issue of Green Lantern! Feh, I say! wink

For the sake of balance, considering how compromised nearly all of the subsequent Events were, this might be as good as it can get for DC.

Hmmm...Millennium, Zero Hour, just about everything from the past 16 years...point well taken. sigh

thoth lad #965068 12/30/18 05:31 PM
Independent Scholar
OP Offline
Independent Scholar
Originally Posted by thoth lad

So...more CoIE? smile

I’d certainly consider this to be a definite possibility for the end of a Darkseid Crisis. He grasps that the solution to his equation must encompass all of creation, not only the single universe where he currently wars with Highfather.

In the end, he does collapse the multiverse into a single equation. But it’s not an anti-life he can control. It’s only the end of what was and the beginning of life in the new single universe beyond. The hand at the dawn of time is his, as it always has and always will be.

Orion’s hand will be the one to push him down this final path, fulfilling the prophecy of the New Gods as the Fifth World begins.

Thank you, Thoth. What a relief -- I was starting to worry that I'd drifted into Cloudcuckooland.

Ann Hebistand #965069 12/30/18 05:33 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Ah, Cloudcuckooland. It's not just a Lightning Seeds album you know. smile

thoth lad #965071 12/30/18 05:38 PM
Independent Scholar
OP Offline
Independent Scholar
Ah, Cloudcuckooland. It's not just a Lightning Seeds album you know. smile

HA HA HA HA lol

(Confidentially, I love that album.) blush

Ann Hebistand #965135 12/31/18 06:47 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive

Ann Hebistand #965343 01/04/19 08:57 PM
Independent Scholar
OP Offline
Independent Scholar
Thanks, Thoth. Will look at it during the next couple days.

Ann Hebistand #965592 01/10/19 09:20 AM
Independent Scholar
OP Offline
Independent Scholar
Thoth, I apologize for not yet having read nor commented on your Alternate-Crisis thread in the Bits forum. I will get to it within the week, as soon as I take care of a whole bunch of stuff, including the loose ends of this very thread.

A few days ago, I'd promised brief, to-the-point reviews of CoIE issues 9 through 12. I then found myself having trouble coming up with anything to say about these issues that I hadn't already said in my reviews of the first 8 issues of CoIE. Then, out of the blue, it became clear to me just a couple hours ago:

I have little or nothing left to say...and neither, at the time, did Marv Wolfman and George Perez! LOL

Seriously, though, the final 4 issues of CoIE feel to me as though Wolfman and Perez reached a point where they still had character threads to tie up, but *little or no actual plot remaining* to provide a solid foundation! Thus, these issues give new meaning to the term "clusterfuck." There's a lot of Telling Rather Than Showing (especially in issue 9, where the bottom tier on almost every page is Harbinger dryly providing random odds and sods of info. There are also the characters who are now anomalous to this "New Coke/One Earth Only DCU Timeline," and as a Helena Wayne fan, those sequences are especially aggravating (adding insult to injury, Helena's death is treated as an afterthought!) There's also the later-to-be-infamous Superboy Prime, shoehorned in for a much smaller role than I had expected, given how, 20 years later, Geoff Johns and Dan DiDio basically adopted him as their pet "anti-hero" in Infinite Crisis and beyond!

And then, at last, there is the *one* final CoIE story bit that I actually find half-decent: when all seems lost (and after more Anti-Monitor fake-outs than you would see with the villain in a typical 80s slasher movie,) it is *Darkseid* who deals the kill-shot to the Anti-Monitor. Not sure how well it holds up to analysis (it takes the lesser of two near-omnipotent evils to destroy the greater evil, and nothing else can do it?) But as a story beat, it is as refereshing and satisfying in the moment as an ice-cold glass of soda (unless that soda is "New Coke" -- see what I did there?)

CONCLUSION

Despite a handful of grace notes scattered across its 12 issues, I now consider Crisis on Infinite Earths to be *an unmitigated disaster, even on a pure storytelling level!* It is nothing less than the beginning of the end for the DCU as a coherent, cohesive fictional entity. And, like Humpty Dumpty after his fall off the wall, all the creators and all the execs couldn't put the DCU together again.

Final thought: I still cannot bring myself to fully loathe *the idea* of superhero universe event storylines. There are still a few from the 90s which have sentimental value to me. But in the long run, Crisis on Infinite Earths, and the people who made it happen, caused too much irreparable damage to the DCU. Thus, I cannot bring myself to dismiss it as merely a flawed prototype for later events. It is, in its own way, as dated and overrated as Watchmen and Dark Knight Returns, and just as much a source of negativity, mean-spiritedness, and fan-service foolishness as them. So, to bring back my question at the beginning of this re-read: Was CoIE worth it? In my humble opinion: NO.

Ann Hebistand #965635 01/11/19 12:50 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Thoth, I apologize for not yet having read nor commented on your Alternate-Crisis thread in the Bits forum. I will get to it within the week, as soon as I take care of a whole bunch of stuff, including the loose ends of this very thread.

That my posts e'en crossed thine awareness is boon enough m'lady of Fanfic. smile

Although the comments will be welcome too. smile Having said that, and having read your post above, the goal was to replace the current story with the fourth world, rather than rewrite the story itself. Although there's a little of that going on too. Because, the plot holes.... big enough to hide a multiverse in... or a decent sized hypertime at least...

thoth lad #965666 01/12/19 03:53 AM
Independent Scholar
OP Offline
Independent Scholar

That my posts e'en crossed thine awareness is boon enough m'lady of Fanfic. smile

Although the comments will be welcome too. smile Having said that, and having read your post above, the goal was to replace the current story with the fourth world, rather than rewrite the story itself. Although there's a little of that going on too. Because, the plot holes.... big enough to hide a multiverse in... or a decent sized hypertime at least...

lol hug

Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,020
Posts1,045,077
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
LegionFan223
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star