Roll Call
1 members (Reboot), 55 Murran Spies, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Legion of Super-Heroes Fansets Pins
by Nightcrawler - 05/14/24 07:31 PM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Legion Tracker - 05/14/24 07:24 PM
Legion Trivia 6
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/14/24 04:49 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/14/24 04:49 PM
Recent Legion-verse sightings in DCU proper
by Reboot - 05/14/24 04:38 PM
Kill This Thread LII - The End of the Deck of Cards
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/14/24 04:33 PM
Errors on Main Forum Page
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/14/24 04:27 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 38 of 42 1 2 36 37 38 39 40 41 42
Re: Re-Reads (Coming Soon: Ann Hebifick's Personal Golden Age of Marvel)
Ann Hebistand #970119 04/22/19 08:37 AM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
Prelims: Before anything, I regret to announce the Avengers Silver Age/Bronze Age Re-Read in the All Avengers Thread is now officially on indefinite hiatus -- so that we may bring you:

ANN HEBIFICK'S PERSONAL GOLDEN AGE OF MARVEL RE-READ

1992-1993, that is.

Heh. It all evolved from this recent idea I had to redefine the Ages of Comics from 1984 on -- The Gilded Age (1984-1993), The Tinfoil Age (1994-2003), and The A__hole Age (2004-2015.) Not sure yet what to call the age we're currently soaking in. shrug

Anyhow, I've never made any secret of my love for Marvel's big hair/big guns/gaudy palette/in-your-face-dynamics era. So I figure there's no way I'd drag my feet on a Re-Read of some of the high points of that era.

Understand, this was when I first got into superheroes (inspired by 1991's Marvel 50th Anniversary coffee table book, curated by the late Les Daniels.) I still have a lot of the copies of comics I bought fresh off the racks at Waldenbooks (cue "What is this Waldenbooks you speak of?" from the younger Legion Worlders. wink ) So, yes, there is great sentimental value here, but I also genuinely believe this is an era which has never completely deserved its overall negative status within fandom. Yes, it brought us lots of awful Wolverine/Punisher/Thanos/Venom stories. But it was that load of crapola which subsidized the GOOD stuff! nod

Put it this way: the first three comics I'm going to review (all cover-dated August 1992) are Ghost Rider #28, Spirits of Vengeance #1, and...Quasar #37.

There you have it.

Lardy, if you'd please do the honors of updated the thread title? Thanks.

Still "Fickles" to my friends.
Lard Lad #970711 05/08/19 03:34 AM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
Hey, all,

Just a heads-up that my Personal Golden Age of Marvel Re-Read is still gonna happen.

I had to put it on the back burner for a while after I got inspired to go back to fan fic writing.

Coming soon (maybe even today) are the already-promised reviews of Quasar #37, Ghost Rider #28, and Spirits of Vengeance #1.

Lard Lad #970738 05/08/19 04:20 PM
Wanderer
Online Content
Wanderer
No worries. Thanks for letting us know. Do what you enjoy.

Re: Re-Reads (Now Reading: John Byrne's Legendary FF Run!!!!)
Lard Lad #970782 05/09/19 03:40 PM
L
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
L
I think this is a good time to bring to a close the most recent re-read of John Byrne's FF run before Ann really begins her new project.

Basically, after doing a recent much-needed catch-up on my "new" pile of floppies, I finally found the urge to finish off my John Byrne FF Omnibus Vol. 2 and, thus, finish my re-read project that had begun quite a while ago with Ann as co-contributor.

To provide some context, the re-read had stalled out after Ann and I separately lost some enthusiasm for it. She got burned out and more interested in doing other things, and I started drifting when Byrne's pencils started loosening up and he was no longer inking himself.

This time around, I picked up after issue 285, starting with a 2-part crossover between the FF and Avengers Annuals and continuing with 286 thru the conclusion of the run in 295. (294-5 featured only Byrne plots, concluding a 3-parter he's begun with 293, with Roger Stern and Jerry Ordway respectively providing writing and art.) The Omnibus then included the never-completed Last Galactus story from Epic Illustrated, a What If? that Byrne produced following an FF that never got their powers and a few humorous FF-related work he'd done for Marvel Age and others.

I found this last bit of Byrne's run quite enjoyable overall, to the point where I felt it ended pretty strongly. His pencils were tightening up, his inkers weren't getting in the way and his stories featured a return to some of his more imaginative and creative peaks. On my Master List of the best Byrne stories of his classic run, in fact, I will add one multi-parter from this bloc to the list, as well as 2 more from this She-Hulk era I'd read prior to this round.

To me the highlights of this era with She-Hulk in place of Ben Grimm are:

FF 271-273: The Nathaniel Richards Saga

Not coincidentally, these were the last 3 issues that Byrne provided full art on (aside from maybe an issue here or there) before he started using inkers. It starts with a delightfully-retro flashback of Reed with Sue and Ben having an adventure set before they had powers and facing a giant monster very emblematic of pre-Marvel Universe Marvel books. It leads into a mystery as to whatever happened to Reed's father and a satisfying romp with nice modern and retro sci-fi touches. If there's any disappointment, it's that we don't get to get to know Nathaniel a little more as Byrne doesn't revisit him for the rest of his run. But it is a delightful story that gives Reed some depth and some roots.

FF 280-284: The Malice/Psycho Man Saga

These issues may be controversial in some ways among fans, but I really admire what Byrne did with Susan Storm in these issues. Byrne had been building Sue up as a force to be reckoned with for some time before this point and had her put thru her paces on several levels. the goal was to define her as something much more than the meek, subserviant girl that she had unfortunately been portrayed as by Lee and Kirby with not much done with her in the interim to distance her from that portrayal. Well, here, Sue transitions from the Invisible Girl to the Invisible Woman, once and for all! Byrne starts this story in dramatic fashion by showing her take out the rest of the FF rather easily, while under the influence of Psycho Man's new Hatemonger, as Malice. He pushes the envelope a little by having her wear a costume with dominatrix motifs. I think that's a big part of the controversy, really--the costume. But I think if you show that she's not only powerful but also sexy--and not just the FF's maternal figure--it goes a long way to changing perceptions about her. And it was only a very temporary look--though a later creative team would double-down on the sexy a little too much.

To clarify, I don't think it's necessary for all characters with "Girl" in their name to transition to "Woman" or something like that, but I think it was for Sue. It was a reminder that she's not the Lee/Kirby Sue anymore, and in her case that was very important!

After she breaks the mind control, Sue is hellbent for vengeance, and the FF pursue the Psycho Man to the Microverse. There, the FF and Sue are put thru their paces and get involved in a local revolution with a culture they's encountered before. And Sue gets her (offscreen) vengeance. It's a powerful moment and is probably itself controversial, as heroes are always supposed to turn the other cheek. But I like that she is allowed some retribution, something that further shows this isn't the Lee-Kirby Sue. And, hell, Psycho Man deserved it!

Overall, an excellent and meaningful story that caps off Byrne's ongoing effort to redefine Sue.

FF 289-292: Negative Zone II/Time Shift

Byrne's final arc as writer/artist has a fun callback to the Negative Zone that also brings Nick Fury along for the ride. The destruction of the Baxter Building has had the consequence of opening the portal to the Negative Zone. The FF go to investigate, and Reed gets sucked in. Sue, Johnny, Jennifer and Fury follow and find Blastaar has eyes on invading Earth. Unfortunately, Annihilus has also survived his previous brush with death and a big melee ensues. Reed ends up missing/presumed dead stopping Annihilus, while the rest of the good guys return to Earth, which is seemingly caught in a time shift between present day and 1936. It's a fun final full adventure which gives the group a chance to act without Reed and gives Fury a chance to...kill Hitler before he starts WW2? There is, of course, a twist...one that I'm not in love with, but it still stands as a very good story and one that is a good last one to fully feature Byrne. I think he draws a great Fury, and it's really good to see Sue lead the team and continue moving her forward. This new Sue, who fully believes she just lost her husband, powers thru nonetheless with her team in the midst of an apparent crisis. The old Sue would have been a quivering mess. Good stuff!

Those are the highlights. I'll return with some comments about some of the other stories, and then--display my final Top Ten Stories from Byrne's Legendary FF Run!!!

Last edited by Paladin; 05/09/19 03:58 PM.

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
Lard Lad #970793 05/09/19 07:27 PM
L
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
L
So the last story I reviewed before the last post in this thread was the Terminus 2 parter in 269-70. My above post references 271-273, so I'll do some snapshot comments on stories from 274-295 with the exceptions of 280-284 & 289-292, reviewed above.

The "Monster Mash" 2-parter from Thing 19 & FF 274 was pretty pointless. Basically, Byrne interrupts the flow of the book to conclude a 2-parter from Thing's book that doesn't involve the FF. The FF get a few establishing pages in the beginning of 274, but it's a Thing adventure through-and-through. I'd guess that Byrne wanted to draw Ben again and wrap up that Thing story a little quicker. Other than seeing what Ben's been up to, it's pointeless.

FF 275 is a big spotlight issue on She-Hulk that is amusing and fun. What will Jen do when she is photographed sunbathing topless on top of the Baxter Building? She goes after the sleazy publisher, that's what! It's an unconventional story that sets the tone somewhat for Byrne's later solo stories of her when he later does her graphic novel and her new ongoing. Al Gordon's inks hurt some key panels and scenes, but it was a lighthearted adventure that helps her character shine after some kind of underwhelming roles for her to that point since joining the book.

FF 276-277 have Reed and Sue in their new suburban cross paths with a witch who has been sicced on the couple by a neighbor who mistakes Reed and Sue for demons. The witch brings Mephisto into the conflict, and Franklin is in particular danger. 277 has Byrne return to the split-story format to bring Ben back to Earth but still determined to not be one of the FF. (It doesn't help that he finds out about Johnny and Alicia.) Franklin figures heavily in the Mephisto resolution, but I'm not terribly fond of the kinds of danger Byrne depicts him being in.

FF278-279 is a memorable story in which Doom's ward young Kristoff takes up the mantle of Doom thru a contingency plan of Doom's, involving the boy being brainwashed into literally being Doom's replacement. Kristoff stops the brainwashing while downloading one of Doom's earliest schemes involving highjacking the entire Baxter Building and decides to give it another try. Kristoff succeeds in sending the entire Baxter Building into orbit with all of the FF plus Franklin and Alicia inside, and 278 ends with the building exploding! It's quite the cliffhanger that is resolved by the FF using some of their legendary teamwork to survive an unsurvivable scenario in 279. The FF waste no time going to Latveria and they confront and defeat Kristoff. But the damage is done, and the Baxter Building is done for...at least for a few years.

FF 285 "Hero" is a standalone issue that nonetheless ties into Secret Wars II. It tells the contoversial story of a young Human Torch fan who lights himself on fire like his hero. It was a brave choice in many ways and addresses concers that lead to Johnny being left out of the original FF cartoon, but the handling is clumsy. Even disregarding the Beyonder being shoe-horned in, I'm not sure that the message for Johnny, that the boy's love of the Torch gave him the only joy in his sad life, really hits the mark. It's a way to let Johnny down easy, and though I know he's not at fault, it just feels like a convenient way to let Johnny move on from his feelings of guilt.

FF Annual 19/Avengers Annual 14 tell two sides of the same story from the FF's and the Avengers' viewpoints. There's a point where both stories merge, and we see how both teams arrive there. Byrne provides pencils for the FF side and breakdowns for the Avengers side. Using Roger Stern as his writing collaborator, the story is pretty entertaining and provides what would seem to be a huge status quo shift for the Skrulls. Overall, this was pretty entertaining.

FF 286 "Like a Phoenix" features the full return of Jean Grey after a mysterious cocoon is discovered in Avengers 263. I've never been in love with the ret-con that this issue uses to bring her back, mainly because I love the original Dark Phoenix Saga so much. But I will admit that it works, and a recent re-read of said saga leaves some room for this outcome by referring to the Phoenix as a separate entity. The story is well-done as an FF story also, giving Reed a lot of room to shine and Sue as well. The Omnibus includes the original pages that were changed before publication. Jim Shooter changed the published version with some pages featuring new dialogue by Chris Claremont and new art by Jackson Guice. While the published pages paint the Phoenix as a seemingly benevolent entity trying to save Jean, Byrne's version show it as malevolent and violating Jean's soul. Both versions show its absorption of Jean's personality being its ultimate saving grace, but Byrne's shows Jean making damn sure the entity is infused with her being to hold it in check. I like the unpublished version better because it makes Jean come off more heroic.

FF 287-288 feature the return of the real Doctor Doom.It's an overall effective story that is marred by another Secret Wars II tie-in, this time the continuity patch explaining how Doom was in the first Secret Wars when his body had just been incinerated, The overall effect is restoring Doom, but it was a better story before the continuity patch took over.

FF 293-295 consist of the final arc of Byrne's run. He writes and draws 293 (though not the cover) while Stern and Jerry Ordway conclude it under Byrne's plot. It's a really decent story that begins with the investigation of an expanding opaque forcefield which reveals to house a town in which thousands of years have passed. It happens to be Reed's home town and the cause is an old acquaintance of his who was trying to save the town from presumed nuclear armageddon. It's a very cool FF sci-fi set-up that Stern and Ordway finish admirably, but it is hard to rank in "the list" without Byrne's work throughout. It was nonetheless considered for inclusion by me at one point.

The Last Galactus Story is the last major entry in the Omnibus. It's quite an artistic wonder, beautifully drawn and colored with something like a water color palette. But it's ponderous and dull at some points, and of course, lacks an ending that was never created nor published due to Epic Illustrated's sudden cancellation.

So with every story at least addressed now, it is now time to consider my Top Ten..... hmmm

Last edited by Paladin; 05/09/19 08:55 PM.

Lard Lad #970795 05/09/19 07:55 PM
L
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
L
So, without further ado, this is my final...

Top Ten Best Stories in John Byrne's Legendary FF Run

1) Negative Zone/Annihilus Saga (FF 251-256, Avengers 233)
2) Galactus/Doom/Trial of Reed Richards (FF 257-262)
3) 20th Anniversary/Liddleville (FF 236)
4) The Malice/Psycho Man Saga (FF 280-284)
5) Terrax/Nova/Galactus (FF 242-244)
6) "Legacy" (FF Annual 17)
7) FF vs. Ego (FF 234-235)
8) "A Small Loss" (FF 267)
9) Negative Zone II/Time Shift (FF 289-292)
10) The Nathaniel Richards Saga (FF 271-273)

So there you go! I had 9 stories singled out and locked in. I was pretty sure "A Small Loss" would be the tenth, and it landed higher than anticipated as I considered it. When I originally mentioned that story, it kind of got short shrift because it was surrounded by some mediocre stories. But this one was always a gem. Beyond its heartbreaking outcome, the portrayal of Doc Ock was extraordinary. It was a different kind of FF story with some conventional trappings but with a lot of heart, so I felt it stood out and filled the Top Ten list out very well.

Some honorable mentions include the Kristoff 2-parter (FF 278-279), the full return of Doom (FF 287-288), Man and Super-Man (FF 249-250), "The Naked Truth" (FF 275), Terminus (FF 269-270), the Central City paradox (FF 293-295), Diablo (FF 232) and Doom and the FF invade Latveria (FF 246-247).

That's a lotta goodness, folks! Can't recommend this run enough for a read or a re-read! Just look at my list vs. Ann's list: some agreement and some divergences, but all good! Excellent, excellent classic run!

Lard Lad #970796 05/09/19 08:45 PM
Active
Active
I decided I wanted something with an old school feel to accompany my Superman project, and I decided to reread the MC2 universe. I was a big fan of Spider-Girl in her early years, though I drifted off somewhere in the middle. I've always wanted to go back and read the whole thing, so this seems like a good opportunity. Initially, I've decided to try to read all the associated books, although I'm finding A-Next and J2 a bit of a slog. Since they are short, I'm going to try to stick it out. At least this project has a clear end point, Spider-Girl: The End. Once they bring her back in Spiver-Verse and start slaughtering the cast, I have no real interest.

I'm going into it already having decided that if juggling two projects at once becomes too much, I'm dropping this in favor of the post-Crisis Superman.

Lard Lad #970851 05/11/19 08:51 AM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
Lardy, thank you for bringing full closure to the Byrne FF Re-Read. I've copied and pasted (and added issue numbers to) my Top 10 list so that people can more easily compare it to yours.

Sorry again there were so many stops and starts. Your patience and loyalty and gentle pushing when needed are all greatly appreciated. You're a great re-reading partner, and a great friend. hug

Originally Posted by Paladin
That's a lotta goodness, folks! Can't recommend this run enough for a read or a re-read! Just look at my list vs. Ann's list: some agreement and some divergences, but all good! Excellent, excellent classic run!

Top 10 Lists For The John Byrne 80s Fantastic Four Run

LARDY/PALADIN

ANNFIE/FANFIE

1. Negative Zone Saga/Avengers crossover (FF 251-256/Avengers 233)

2. Liddleville (FF 236)

3. Man and Super-Man (FF 249-250)

4. Ben's Old Flame (The Thing 2)

5. Ego (FF 234-235)

6. Evil Crypto-Disney Theme Park (FF 263-264)

7. Trial of Reed Richards (FF 260-262)

8. Galactus/Nova/Terrax (FF 242-244)

9. Dr. Doom (FF 257-259)

10. Terminus (FF 269-270)

Lard Lad #970877 05/11/19 05:43 PM
Wanderer
Online Content
Wanderer
I have read some of these and also thought they were terrific.

Trial of Reed Richards - excellent. I have this as a TPB collecting Byrne's various Galactus stories along with his commentary explaining how he was tasked with restoring Galactus to greatness so he did that over quite a while with the Trial being the culmination.

Terrax/Nova/Galactus - great. In the same TPB.

Liddleville - read a long time ago, vaguely remember, have to find it again, mainly remember a little Sue seeing Doom's face (of all things to remember).

Terminus - again remembering from a long time back, this seemed average to me, formulaic, still a reread could well change my mind.

You have certainly piqued my interest and I will (at some point) go back and read this series. Thanks to both of you.

stile86 #970880 05/11/19 09:07 PM
L
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
L
Originally Posted by stile86

You have certainly piqued my interest and I will (at some point) go back and read this series. Thanks to both of you.

You are very welcome, stile!

Beyond the pleasure of revisiting some old favorites and of interacting with Ann about them, I always hope to inspire others to experience these stories for themselves. So this is a high compliment indeed!!!

(BTW, I think the JBFF Omnibuses are a huge bargain, especially when you can often get them at steep discounts! nod )

Ann Hebistand #970881 05/11/19 09:16 PM
L
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
L

LARDY/PALADIN

ANNFIE/FANFIE

1. Negative Zone Saga/Avengers crossover (FF 251-256/Avengers 233)

2. Liddleville (FF 236)

3. Man and Super-Man (FF 249-250)

4. Ben's Old Flame (The Thing 2)

5. Ego (FF 234-235)

6. Evil Crypto-Disney Theme Park (FF 263-264)

7. Trial of Reed Richards (FF 260-262)

8. Galactus/Nova/Terrax (FF 242-244)

9. Dr. Doom (FF 257-259)

10. Terminus (FF 269-270)

Analyzing our respective lists, it sticks out to me that only one of the She-Hulk era stories made your list, while in mine the split is 60/40. I'd be curious as to your thoughts about some of them, particularly the Malice/Psycho Man and maybe "A Small Loss" and the Nathaniel Richards story. I think that maybe you hated the Malice stuff but wonder what you thought about my reasons for why it is so important and, imo, well done.

Lard Lad #970951 05/13/19 01:31 PM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
Stile, you're very welcome. Happy reading.

Lardy, here are my original thoughts on various aspects of the Jen-era FF, including some of the stories you singled out:

Originally Posted by Ann Hebistand

Here we have one of the most gut-wrenching, heart-breaking moments in the long and eventful life of Susan Storm-Richards, the miscarriage of her second child, despite the best efforts from Reed Richards and other brilliant Marvel Universe scientists. And yet, upon returning to it in this re-read, it feels somehow...muted. But I don't think Byrne is to blame for that -- rather tellingly, there is a tangible mixture of intrusions (Secret Wars) and outright padding (the whole Trapster sequence, which feels like one of those end-of-the-night SNL sketches that almost always falls flat) which a now-seasoned creator like Byrne could never have possibly done deliberately.

I believe we are witnessing the beginning of Marvel's slow but steady descent into what I consider one of its darkest ages -- 1985 to 1987, or the tempestuous 3rd Act of the Jim Shooter Era, where, according to many disgruntled creators and editors, he allegedly went from Visionary to Tunnel-Visioned, from Firm But Fair Authoritarian to Tyrant Of Shakespearean Proportions. Now, granted, Marvel was also in the process of changing owners from a dime-a-dozen corporation to a clueless C-List movie studio (rumor has it one of the studio heads assumed that Marvel published Superman!) So I would imagine that Shooter found himself under 100 times more stress than earlier in his EiC tenure. Did he always deal with it well? Probably not, but in any show business environment, there are dozens of sides (if not more) to every story.

At this point, though, it's not all bad. New team-muscle She-Hulk hits the ground running thanks to Byrne (who has said he fell in love with Jen while collaborating with Roger Stern on the F4/Avengers crossover we reviewed a while back.) Jen has a special personal meaning to me, as I imagine she has to a lot of other women who suddenly found themselves to have grown half-a-foot taller during Junior High School, as if all the other trials and tribulations of adolescence weren't bad enough. As portrayed by Byrne & Stern, Jen blossomed into a good-humored extrovert who had come to embrace and love her bigness and her unusualness. Way ahead of her time, our Jen was.

I have to admit that I...found the Malice/Psycho Man/Microverse issues a bit too much to chew on...The intensity of the horror elements, the harshness of the violence, and the questionable portrayal of Susan and Reed with what might be interpreted as Byrne's dubious sexual politics, and I can see now why I just couldn't wrap my head around it enough to produce a coherent review.

I stand by my opinion of "A Small Loss," but your thoughts on the Nathaniel Richards Trilogy (which I now find I didn't mention at all previously) and the Malice/Psycho Man storyline provided me some food for thought.

I'm kinda put off by the basic idea that Reed's father was even more of a genius and even more of an imaginaut. The whole concept of the FF works best for me when the four founding members are the first of their kind -- ordinary yet extraordinary. Plus, it all felt pretty by-the-numbers to me personally, full of those same 60s-70s TV tropes that I had noted in many of Byrne's earlier FF stories.

And I think Byrne just went a bit over the top with the horror imagery and the level of violence in the Malice arc. I could accept such elements in, say, Byrne's "Alpha Flight" or "Next Men," but in FF they feel squicky to me, not a million miles from the era of DC where Johns/DiDio poured on the gore and the sadism and the cheap scares. Of course, Byrne's story is far more artful than any of the schlock-fests of that DC era. But the FF are as much a touchstone of my childhood (albeit thanks to their awful-in-hindsight DePatie-Freleng TV series) as various vintage aspects of the DCU. So it just doesn't feel quite right to me, the proverbial square peg in a round hole, I guess.

Ann Hebistand #970975 05/13/19 10:51 PM
L
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
L
It's interesting, btw, that you separate 257-259 from 260-262, while I combine them. To me, there were enough narrative threads throughout to include them all.

I'm kinda put off by the basic idea that Reed's father was even more of a genius and even more of an imaginaut. The whole concept of the FF works best for me when the four founding members are the first of their kind -- ordinary yet extraordinary. Plus, it all felt pretty by-the-numbers to me personally, full of those same 60s-70s TV tropes that I had noted in many of Byrne's earlier FF stories.

I didn't like it as much when I originally read it but was struck more by it this time. I think the human element that kicks it off with Reed not being able to remember his father's eyes helps. Then, there's the old school sci-fi with the cowboys riding robot steeds and the despot running things. It felt like an original Trek series with the big addition to the FF mythos as a payoff. I guess it just tickled the right spot like the Gladiator fight does with you.

Originally Posted by Fick
And I think Byrne just went a bit over the top with the horror imagery and the level of violence in the Malice arc. I could accept such elements in, say, Byrne's "Alpha Flight" or "Next Men," but in FF they feel squicky to me, not a million miles from the era of DC where Johns/DiDio poured on the gore and the sadism and the cheap scares. Of course, Byrne's story is far more artful than any of the schlock-fests of that DC era. But the FF are as much a touchstone of my childhood (albeit thanks to their awful-in-hindsight DePatie-Freleng TV series) as various vintage aspects of the DCU. So it just doesn't feel quite right to me, the proverbial square peg in a round hole, I guess.

I think the main thing I wonder about from your perspective is not so much the violence and horror elements of those issues, but what he does with Sue Storm throughout. Here's what I said:

FF 280-284: The Malice/Psycho Man Saga

These issues may be controversial in some ways among fans, but I really admire what Byrne did with Susan Storm in these issues. Byrne had been building Sue up as a force to be reckoned with for some time before this point and had her put thru her paces on several levels. the goal was to define her as something much more than the meek, subserviant girl that she had unfortunately been portrayed as by Lee and Kirby with not much done with her in the interim to distance her from that portrayal. Well, here, Sue transitions from the Invisible Girl to the Invisible Woman, once and for all! Byrne starts this story in dramatic fashion by showing her take out the rest of the FF rather easily, while under the influence of Psycho Man's new Hatemonger, as Malice. He pushes the envelope a little by having her wear a costume with dominatrix motifs. I think that's a big part of the controversy, really--the costume. But I think if you show that she's not only powerful but also sexy--and not just the FF's maternal figure--it goes a long way to changing perceptions about her. And it was only a very temporary look--though a later creative team would double-down on the sexy a little too much.

To clarify, I don't think it's necessary for all characters with "Girl" in their name to transition to "Woman" or something like that, but I think it was for Sue. It was a reminder that she's not the Lee/Kirby Sue anymore, and in her case that was very important!

After she breaks the mind control, Sue is hellbent for vengeance, and the FF pursue the Psycho Man to the Microverse. There, the FF and Sue are put thru their paces and get involved in a local revolution with a culture they's encountered before. And Sue gets her (offscreen) vengeance. It's a powerful moment and is probably itself controversial, as heroes are always supposed to turn the other cheek. But I like that she is allowed some retribution, something that further shows this isn't the Lee-Kirby Sue. And, hell, Psycho Man deserved it!

Overall, an excellent and meaningful story that caps off Byrne's ongoing effort to redefine Sue.

Note that every comment I made about that story revolves around Sue and how that story pays off Byrne's work with her. I haven't said it outright yet, but I now know that Sue is my favorite character during Byrne's entire run on the book. But I'm curious what you think about my thoughts about her usage in this saga.

Lard Lad #971005 05/14/19 03:06 PM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
Okay. If I make a supreme effort to be completely objective about the Malice/Psycho Man storyline, and table all my personal hang-ups which I've already noted...then, yes, it is a well-told, well-crafted story about surviving abuse and trauma, facing one's own shadow side, and confronting the source of the wrongs done. If I'd been in a less-stressed, more clear-headed frame of mind when I re-read it, I might have responded more favorably.

That said, I still wonder if such excess on Byrne's part was really necessary. Isn't it possible Susan could have become fully empowered thorough a less brutal form of adversity?

Re: The comparison of your positive reaction to the Nathaniel story to my positive reaction to Gladiator, fair enough. As you put it so well, each respective story ticked off the right boxes for each respective reader.

Re: Separating the Doom/Terrax issues from the Reed/Galactus issues, I just felt that the latter bunch, for all my objections to the trial's goofy metafictional ending, was so much more satisfying than the former. If I recall correctly, I noted in my review of the climactic Doom issue that I thought Byrne wrote himself into a corner and had to resort to one of my least favorite tropes: Having the villain suddenly turn stupid so that his plan is undone.

Lard Lad #971026 05/14/19 07:01 PM
L
Time Trapper
OP Offline
Time Trapper
L
I think it was kind of necessary to show where Sue had come as a character and just how strong she was by putting her through her paces like that. I think most people who know Sue from what Stan and Jack created would have expected her to fold under far less adversity. Here, Byrne said, "nuh-uh!' definitively. Not only was Sue now a powerhouse who could arguably be the most formidable of the group, she was also so much stronger inside than she'd ever been credit for. She's smart, brave and, yes, even sexy! This arc does all that for her, even as it builds on all of the work Byrne had put into her up until that point.

Man, I love me some Byrne-era Susan!!!

Lard Lad #971053 05/15/19 06:46 AM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
Lardy, I think that puts the whole Byrne FF Re-Read in a nutshell.

There's a little bit of something for everybody. If one person doesn't much care for one story, there's another story that's more to their taste.

That this all came largely from the talent of one single industrious creator makes it all the more impressive.

In the end, this lengthy run is indisputably one of the highlights of Marvel in the 80s.

And I had a great time discussing it with you. Thank you, my good friend.

We must do another re-read together soon.

nod

Lard Lad #971328 05/20/19 12:31 PM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
And now that I finally resolved a particularly knotty plot point about my current Bits fic and added a new chapter, there's nothing to get in the way of me finishing my first 90s Marvel Re-Read review.

Expect it tonight at the latest.

Lard Lad #971351 05/21/19 07:17 AM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar

Sorry.

blush

I know it's gonna happen someday...

Ann Hebistand #971380 05/21/19 04:14 PM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar

Sorry.

blush

I know it's gonna happen someday...

There's no other way to say this -- I've had to admit to myself that it's obvious that my heart's just not into any kind of Marvel re-read. Plus I'm still participating in the Legion Re-Read and the Superman Re-Read, and I really want to see the new fic through to its conclusion.

On the other hand, the year's not even half over yet. Maybe a bunch of us could do a re-read in a few months. Anyone been following the Flash By Mark Waid trades? I think Volume 6 is about to come out. My library's already got the first five, and will most likely add that one and all the rest to follow.

Re: Re-Reads (Coming Soon: PAD's Hulk)
Fanfic Lady #975269 08/12/19 12:00 PM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
Originally Posted by Fanfic Lady on October 30, 2015
Incredible Hulk 397-401

Living up their potential at last thanks to PAD's imaginative writing and Dale Keown's dynamic, dramatic art, the colorful group of Hulk rogues known as the U-Foes (think an evil Fantastic Four who INTENTIONALLY exposed themselves to cosmic rays) more than earn the double-page splash that they're given in 397. The U-Foes turn out to have been hired by the Leader to invade the Pantheon's headquarters and soften up the do-gooders in preparation for the grand entrance of the Leader himself and his elite guard, the Riot Squad. The first Hulk/Riot Squad battle, during the "Countdown" arc, had the misfortune of being drawn by Jeff Purves. The second Hulk/Riot Squad battle, seen in 398, is drawn by Keown, and it makes all the difference in the world. At the end, the fight is stopped by Pantheon leader Agamemnon, who informs the warring parties that he and the Leader have reached an "accord", much to the Hulk's chagrin. Meanwhile, a subplot which had been simmering during the last few issues reaches full boil in 397-398: a woman claiming to be Rick Jones's biological mother turns out to be a murderous psychopath who imprisons Rick in her basement and fatally stabs Marlo Chandler; Betty Banner knocks her out and frees Rick, but it's too late to save Marlo.

Or is it?

After confronting the smartest and most powerful members of the Marvel Universe, asking them to bring Marlo back to life, and coming up empty, Rick Jones is at his wits end when who should approach him with a proposal than the Leader! And he even has proof that he can bring the dead back to life -- the armored Riot Squad goon known as Redeemer is none other than General Thunderbolt Ross!

While all of the above is going on, the Hulk is off sulking until the Pantheon approaches Betty to talk some sense into her husband. Once this is done, Agamemnon informs the Hulk that he has deliberately set up the Leader for the Hulk to smash his mass-murdering nemesis once and for all.

Although the international terrorist organization Hydra is somewhat awkwardly shoehorned in as a plot device, this is still an immensely satisfying story-arc thanks to the characters' vivid emotional lives underpinning the story. The civilized facade that the Hulk has been sporting since 379 falls away completely at the climax, when the precognitive vision of the Hulk laughing during a rampage, as seen in 382, comes frighteningly true. Rick's desperation, the Leader's arrogance, and Agamemnon's cold calculation all come together brilliantly by the heartbreaking end.

But wait, there's more. In the epilogue, PAD sets up the Hulk's new status quo when Agamemnon tells the Hulk that he plans to take a hiatus from leading the Pantheon and go wander the world for a while, leaving the Hulk in his place to lead!

Artistically, 399-401 suffer from Keown's abrupt departure (poached by Image), with mostly adequate but sometimes jarringly ugly art by Jan Duursema in 399, the first half of 400, and 401, and Chris Bachalo in the second half of 400. But the sense that 400 is the grandiose climax of the plot threads that PAD has been weaving in and out of the book for the past 70 issues, is still immensely satisfying.

And I think this is as good a place as any to temporarily end the PAD Hulk re-read. Gods be willing, I'll be able to review the remaining 67 issues sometime next year. My thanks to Lardy and Thoth and anyone else who has been following my reviews.

For "sometime next year," substitute "almost four years." But better late than never.

I'm going to make my best effort to cover the second half of the Hulk's Pantheon Era -- with Peter David still at the helm and Gary Frank as the default penciler -- in a timely fashion without big gaps between blocks of issues. Including the epilogue, that comprises issues 402 to 426.

Incredible Hulk 402

One more issue to go before Gary Frank & Cam Smith arrive, and guest artists Jan Duursema & Mark Farmer (the latter having been the default inker for a large part of the Dale Keown Hulk Era) do a bland yet adequate job. PAD's script, on the other hand, is far better than adequate, with Banner's new responsibilities as deputy leader of the Pantheon causing a great deal of internal friction, especially between Banner and Achilles, whose invulnerability is weakened in the presence of gamma radiation, and who is not a nice guy even without the Hulk around (he also feels he should be deputy leader instead of Banner.) Already simmering subplots -- involving Betty, Rick, Marlo, and Doc Samson -- continue to chug forward engagingly. We also get a well-done battle in an exotic locale (the Amazon jungle) against a well-chosen heavy-hitter villain, and a solid shocker of a next-to-last page where we see who this villain is working for:

they are, irrespectively, Juggernaut and Red Skull.

Re: Re-Reads (Now discussing: Claremont's X-Men!)
Cobalt Kid #979144 11/28/19 11:57 AM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
This is actually a re-re-read: The Proteus Saga from the Claremont/Byrne era of Uncanny X-Men.

Still as great as ever, and I still rate it as the peak of that creative team's collaborations. And the whipped cream and cherry on top is the way that I remember it being one of the high points of this thread UXM re-read a few years ago. Good times!

Originally Posted by Cobalt Kid

Uncanny X-Men 125 – 128: the Proteus Saga

As I state above, the Proteus Saga isn’t just good: it’s plain fantastic. This is a GREAT story! Everything that came before had been pretty damn excellent now Claremont & Byrne & Austen take things to a whole new level. In fact, I would say that the only reason people don’t go bananas about the Proteus Saga is that what follows immediately after is the Hellfire Club and the Dark Phoenix Saga, which is even better! But just because the greatest X-Men story of them all is to follow shouldn’t take away from how excellent this story is.

What we have is a four part story where each individual issue serves a unique purpose from an action / montage perspective, all the while bringing together an overarching plot that is chalk full of character. You have an antagonist in Proteus whose super-powers are incredibly abstract and powerful, yet he’s kept close to reality by having an excellent, human backstory with Moira and Joe McTaggert. So we get the best of both worlds and the creators pull them both off perfectly: the action is uber-intense and the story is human and compelling.

Moira’s secret is at last revealed and she comes off very well here. At times she’s in distress and at other times she’s the master of her own destiny. Most importantly, she’s a complex character that is multi-layered and runs the full gamut of emotions in the story. I also think the clear implication was that Joe raped Moira—in a classic case of spousal rape—to produce the baby. That’s how I read it. It makes things much more heavy.

Jean also is paramount to the story in a variety of ways as readers get reacquainted with her. In the letter’s page in #124, the editor proclaims “new readers who have been wondering all the fuss is about: get ready to meet the Phoenix!”. Clearly they were building to this. Yet, while worries of Jean’s powers and Jean kicking ass are paramount to the story, the reunion leaves the readers feeling a bit uncomfortable. There is no beautiful reunion with Scott and that must have been jarring. But I think in the long run it makes what is to come in Dark Phoenix, including their really romantic and beautiful moment on mesa, so much more powerful. Jean’s seduction by Wyngarde is in full effect throughout and its incredible how scary it is—the sequence where they hunt down “the greatest game” and Jean joyfully prepares to kill the poor man is horrifying. It’s well done, and never once detracts from the main plot. These are some bold choices by Claremont and Byrne, by forgoing the easy soap opera reunion and keeping things complex.

The extended cast is a lot of fun as well. While the X-Men never once lose its leading men status, we get to see Havok, Polaris, Moira and to a lesser extent Madrox play a part. With Jean back, it feels awesome to see so many mutants running around together.

Once again, even without powers, Banshee shines in every scene he’s in. His exit doesn’t really come until the next issue, but it’s clear by the happy ending that he “must” exit the team; it just makes total sense from every storytelling perspective. But it isn’t overly said or melancholy, it just fits.

To me, even beyond the up front Proteus plot, this story is really about being the culmination of the 6 main X-Men coalescing as both a family unit and a fighting squad. This has been happening ever since the second battle with Magneto (and truly since Giant Sized #1), but it all comes together here. With Sean’s exit, that only underscores things, as they no longer need his ongoing dose of maturity and status as a peacekeeper. Cyclops is clearly the leader here, and a damn good one. The sequence with he and Wolverine brings together one of the final elements needed to get to this point: Cyke shows a clear concern over Logan, and Logan admits in front of everyone that he was wrong about Scott, who now has his respect, friendship and promise to fall in line. That is the single best scene of the entire story—including Storm and Nightcrawler sticking up for Logan.

Colossus also plays a big part in this, and it ties into the subplot Lardy brought up so nicely: here, he at long last emerges as the one to save the day, and he does so with style. There is a clear confidence at play here, from his defeat of Proteus to his holding Moira tightly to let her mourn her child. He feels very much like a leading man full of heroism and quiet empathy. His evolution to this point mirrors the growing resolution between Logan and Scott.

Cyclops says that the new X-Men will never be like the originals, who functioned as a well oil machine and then adds “maybe that’s not even a desirable goal anymore”. And in a nutshell, Claremont defines what the All-New X-Men are about. They are not the originals and more a collection of intense individuals, but nonetheless, they are no less a team—or a family—than the original 5.

It’s noteworthy that both Jean and Professor X stand outside this, though. When Professor X returns, there will be a definite tension and he will have a hard time understanding that. In fact, whenever both Cyclops and Professor X are both part of the X-Men hereafter, it will always feel awkward. Because Cyclops doesn’t need the Prof anymore. Professor X is best served now by training younger mutants like Kitty (whose appearance provides the Professor a reason to stay in the series) and then the New Mutants.

Even on top of all of this, which is heady stuff, there is still a ton of other things going on. We get a great interlude with Magneto that at first feels out of left field but shows that Magneto is quietly becoming a part of the recurring cast even if he’s not always on-panel. His scene showcases him once again as a complex, multi-layered man. We also see his wife Magda for the first time. It’s amazing that this scene won’t be followed up on for 20 issues, at which point he’ll truly evolve beyond the trappings of a comic book super-villain (and change how comic book villains in general are perceived). We also learn Wolverine had an adamantium skeleton; until now we just knew he had unbreakable bones. Each story continues to give us little tidbits of Logan’s mysterious and interesting past. There is also the heavy theme of taking a life, especially in the sequence where Moira prepares to kill her son but Cyclops stops her. Personally, I agree with Moira. Ultimately in the long term, so would Claremont. I think he had no easy answers himself at this point but eventually, the X-Men’s experiences would cause him to make up his mind.

Until this point there had been a lot of fantastic stories; now we had a masterpiece. What’s amazing is it only gets even better from here.

Originally Posted by Annfie
Proteus. Just when it looked like Claremont and Byrne were faltering, we get their best story yet. Far beyond the easter eggs of Colossus' great climactic moment, of seeing Havok, Polaris, and Madrox in action, and of a de-powered Banshee more than rising to the challenge, we get some backstory for Moira (and it's sad to think that, where Claremont & Byrne say a lot with a few well-written lines and some effective facial expressions, a modern creative team would probably do a gratuitously graphic flashback to the unpleasant events of the past.) Proteus, as irredeemably horrible as he is, is also a genuinely tragic character who never had a chance. Claremont & Byrne raise some very tough questions, but without being at all heavy-handed about it.

Regarding the Magneto scene, I wonder sometimes if Claremont & Byrne might have meant to pick up on that thread while they were still together, but couldn't come to a compromise of their differing views on the character -- after all, Byrne was one of the prime architects behind Magneto's return to villainy in the early 90s.

I also want to mention something that I've kept forgetting to say: the X-Men editor from the Magneto saga through the early part of Dark Phoenix is Roger Stern, and though he has always said that he didn't enjoy being an editor, he was sure good at it.

Uncanny X-Men 125-128

Lots of good points about the Proteus Saga, many of which mirror or enhance my own, but I'd like to highlight a few things:

I was stunned and transfixed by Wolverine's show of weakness in the face of Proteus' attack. I had totally forgotten about this! I found it very remarkable and further indicative of why I used to love the character. There's a lot unsaid (and un-narrated) as to why Logan reacted the way he did, but it really speaks volumes about his character. He'd come to rely so strongly on his senses and his self awareness that having those things taken away from him and subverted would truly bring a character like him, who had pretty much nothing else, to a dark place. I liked seeing Wolverine vulnerable and genuinely freaked out. He's really become a caricature of himself over the decades, all machismo and stoicism. It's nice to be reminded of how three-dimensional and fully realized the character used to be.

Proteus's powers really come off ill-defined and vague. I know much the same can be said of similarly extremely powerful villains, but trying to understand his powers took me out of the story at times. Apparently, for example, he could create living creatures (bees) that apparently continued existing from then on, he could turn the horizontal to the vertical and could manipulate matter fluidly. But he was limited by his burning out bodies and was vulnerable to metal. Why couldn't he manipulate his own body to stave off burning out or use his powers in any number of ways to travel without having to steal cars? And how could he affect Wolverine who had an adamantium skeleton? I dunno. It's a glaring weakness to the story, but all the great drama and interaction between the characters made it fairly easy to overlook. But age clearly brought more questions to the story than young adult-me ever had.

I, too, inferred what must have happened between Joe and Moira MacTaggert and how that produced Proteus. I'll echo the observances of how tastefully and not heavy-handed this was handled. Modern comics would, no doubt, "go there". But here it was all between the lines, and I miss that more subtle approach. Part of me would have preferred some sort of catharsis between mother and son (and even between Moira and Joe) before the end, but, as in life, there is often no cathartic closure. (I know this from personal experience.) But at least Moira has Sean for comfort.

So despite some flaws, this is a great highlight of a great era in comics, with even greater heights to come very soon. And, more and more, I miss narrative captions and thought bubbles soooooo much!

Originally Posted by Annfie
Good point about Wolverine's vulnerability, Lardy. What also made an impression on me was how Cyclops snapped him out of it, finally gaining his respect. So many good character scenes in this story.

Re: Re-Reads (Now discussing: Roy Thomas at DC in the 80s)
Lard Lad #983091 03/18/20 07:14 AM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
PRELUDE TO THE GREAT ROY THOMAS DCU GOLDEN AGE/LEGACY RE-READ

A bit of behind-the-scenes context, plus some brief thoughts on Roy Thomas's 60s/70s Marvel work:

To hear Roy Thomas tell it, his last several years at Marvel in the 1970s were not happy ones. Having begun the decade being railroaded into replacing Stan Lee as EiC, by the middle of the 70s he had voluntarily quit as EiC, his first marriage had ended, and almost all his enthusiasm for the Marvel Universe had been tainted by a bitterness unbecoming a creator still only in his thirties. Conan remained his bread-and-butter gig throughout the rest of the 70s, although he did manage to re-light his MU spark somewhat on two projects: "What If?" and "The Invaders."

The Invaders was, indisputably, a dry run for what Roy would accomplish at DC in the 80s. An elaboration and expansion on the World War II adventures of Captain America, Sub-Mariner, Human Torch, and various and sundry super-allies, Invaders had more heart and soul than anything Thomas had written since his Avengers/X-Men purple patch of the late 60s.

Unfortunately, Invaders stumbled right out of the gate, due largely to the unfortunate choice of Frank Robbins as the title's default artist -- Robbins, like many industry veterans, was still hale and hearty, but his style was out of time...WAY out of time. It wouldn't have looked out of place on a second-or-third-string Golden Age superhero comic, but in the 70s of Paul Gulacy and Tom Sutton and Barry Smith et al, it was downright quaint! And the efforts by Thomas to get Robbins to merge his style with the Marvel House Style only made it uglier to look at. What was really tragic was that Invaders also coincided with a new maturity in Roy's writing, the slapdash plotting and cheesy (if guilty-pleasure yummy) dialogue of his Silver Age work having given way to vast improvements in storytelling and characterization. It would take many years, and writers such as Roger Stern, Ed Brubaker, and Christos Gage to finally unearth the full potential of the characters and ideas Roy had introduced in The Invaders.

So it was that, by the end of the 70s, Invaders stumbled towards its final issue with Roy on autopilot and his friend Don Glut (later to become a successful TV animation writer whose credits include my beloved Transformers TOS) doing most of the actual writing. Even Roy's Conan, for its part, couldn't help but tread water after the ill-conceived death of Conan's greatest love, Belit (even if it had been preordained by the Robert E. Howard source material.)

And, finally, Roy was also at the end of his rope in his always-contentious relationship with Jim Shooter, then only 2 years into his controversial EiC stint and already stepping on many creators' toes. As the 80s dawned, Roy's 15-year tenure at Marvel came to its sad but inevitable end.

Happily for Roy, DC was finding its second wind after hitting rock-bottom with the "1978 Implosion", and was warmly welcomed into the fold. Working initially with Dick Giordano and later with the ever-underappreciated Len Wein, Roy began to assemble his first DCU long-term project, one which hearkened back to his earliest love as a comics fan -- because although Roy had read and enjoyed just about every superhero comic of the Golden Age (an exaggeration, but not by much,) it was DC's Golden Age output, and particularly the Justice Society of America -- comics' very first superhero team -- which held the most special place in his heart.

A dream come true for Roy, then. And a pleasure to come soon, for readers both familiar and unfamiliar with his previous work.

COMING UP LATER TODAY: "All Star Squadron" issues 1 through 3.

Lard Lad #983097 03/18/20 11:02 AM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
"All-Star Squadron #1" (Cover Date September 1981)

NOTE: I don't have the 16-page prologue-slash-preview of this opening story-arc, but you can read Rick's excellent review of it here:

http://www.legionworld.net/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=507029

And that's actually a good place to start with this review, because one of the best things about this first issue is that you *don't* need to have read the preview, or have *any* knowledge of DCU continuity, to understand what's going on here. In brief: The story begins on Earth-Two NYC, the night of December 6, 1941, just a few hours before the date that would live in infamy for the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor. With the JSA reeling from super-villain attacks earlier that evening on different small groups of its members. So Hawkman is understandably feeling a bit edgy when he spots an intruder at the team's otherwise empty headquarters. Said intruder turns out to be the Pre-Crisis Plastic Man, a far less obnoxious (albeit somewhat bland) iteration of Jack Cole's wild Golden Age creation than the Big Guns JLA version from the 90s/00s. Plas is actually working for the U.S. gov't, so once they both explain recent developments to each other, they fly off to Washington DC...only to be ambushed by yet another villain, the King Bee and his heavily armed drones! HM and Plas put up a good counter-attack, but still end up unconscious on Terra Firma. In DC at the White House, Harry Hopkins, a top member of President Franklin D. Roosevelt's cabinet, is fretting about the JSA being no-shows.

Now we arrive at my favorite part of the issue: While riding his winged steed Victory, Sir Justin, The Shining Knight of Ancient Camelot, recently freed from suspended animation to once again fight the good fight, happens upon an uncharted island in the Pacific Ocean, where he meets a feisty scientist named Danette Reilly, who is investigating the island and specifically the simmering volcano at its center. Before long, they discover that the island is an artificial construct created by a mad scientist from the not-too-distant-future named Per Degaton. AND he's got some deadly associates guarding his sanctum: Solomon Grundy, the swamp-borne super-strong brute; Professor Zodiak, a chemistry whiz; Sky Pirate, whose name sums up both him and his modus operandi; and Wotan, a sorceror who has rather presumptuously named himself after a Teutonic God!

A brief digression: Danette and Sir Justin are my *favorite* characters from "All-Star Squadron," and I fervently wish that they, rather than Johnny Quick and Liberty Belle (more about whom shortly,) had been the indisputable stars of this series. Justin's speech patterns, similar to Marvel's mythical characters, but without the "thees" and "thous," make my heart melt. And Danette, who was named after Roy Thomas's second wife, Danette Cuoto, is sassy, tough, and sexy.

Next the tone of the story shifts from superhero melodrama to gritty tragedy, as the sun rises on Pearl Harbor only for the Japanese Navy to launch their sneak attack. Casualties mount up quickly, and they may or may not include Danette's brother, Rod, who is also secretly the costumed crimefighter Firebrand. Roy and artists Rich Buckler & Jerry Ordway don't flinch from the stark horror of the carnage, but they're not gratuitously graphic about it, either. But I still imagine this must have been quite shocking for grade-school comic book readers back in the day.

Response in Washington DC is swift and decisive, and, fortunately, two JSA members -- Dr. Mid-Nite and the Atom -- do happen to be in town, albeit none the wiser to the evil deeds at hands...until now. On their mad dash to the White House, they unexpectedly pick up fellow costumed ones Liberty Belle (tough and icy,) Johnny Quick (cocky and chatty,) and Robotman. Synchronicity is at work when Hawkman and Plastic Man finally arrive, much the worse for wear.

These seven crimefighters are immediately deputized by FDR himself to lead the All-Star Squadron, a super-powered task force to serve as America's first defense against its enemies. Their first mission will take them to the West Coast, to deal with the repercussions of the attack on Pearl Harbor.

Overall, this issue is just plain good comics. Roy's writing is as energetic as his early Marvel work, but with a much better command of technique. Rich Buckler's pencil art shows that, when he was fully committed to something, whether if was his own creation Deathlok in the 70s, or Peter David's brief but significant Spider-Man run later in the 80s, his work was solid as a rock. If the ink art by future star Jerry Ordway (who was only 23 or 24 at the time) seems a bit muddy in spots, that's because of a production screw-up at DC, whereiin some of Buckler's pages were sent to the wrong destination and Ordway had to make do with vellum over photocopies!

I only have a few minor quibbles: Roy's dialogue may not be as cheesy as it was in his early Marvel work, but it now has a rather dry and stilted feel to it. And while the amount of exposition is forgivable early on in this run, it gets much more tedious in the years to come. Finally, I am usually not one to begrudge a creator their sentimental favorites, but having Hawkman sport the version of the headgear with the open beak and the tongue stick out was IMHO a *terrible* idea. He just looks so *stupid* to me.

Even so, this is a spectacular start to an often brilliant series.

Lard Lad #983102 03/18/20 01:03 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Ooh, good stuff!

Danette Reilly is darn close to my favorite of all All-Star Squadron-era characters! (Along with other less-popular folk like Amazing Man and Air Wave.) Otherwise, what a strange lineup! But some great out of the box choices (I like how it was decided to focus on the characters who weren't the classic Justice League equivalents (the Earth 2 Green Lantern, Flash, etc.), like Hourman and Plastic Man and Johnny Quick and Steel and Tarantula. I wish they'd lasted longer and been a little less uneven, at times, but 67 issues isn't a terrible run by any stretch! (I even liked the potential, if not always the execution, of the kind of dire Young All-Stars that followed, and that was much briefer, IIRC...)

I wonder if a modern day descendant of Danette Reilly could show up. There's not a ton of fire-users in the DCU. There's Fire (Beatiz) and that's about all I can think of, for the moment. Hotspot seems tp be gone and forgotten.

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
Lard Lad #983103 03/18/20 01:57 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
It's worth mentioning that Roy's original plan was to use Wildfire from Quality Comics, but was prohibited from doing so by the existence of a Wildfire in the Legion.

As much as I like the female Wildfire, I have to agree that Danette's creation was a fortunate byproduct of that stupid editorial interference.

And as I've pointed out before, Roy's tendency was to pick forgotten Golden Age characters who had been surprisingly successful when you look back at their original runs. Johnny Quick, Robotman, the Shining Knight, and Liberty Belle all actually had longer Golden Age runs than quite a few JSAers.

Page 38 of 42 1 2 36 37 38 39 40 41 42

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,021
Posts1,045,307
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
Clovyr Crymsun Kid's Sidekick, timeless one
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star