Roll Call
0 members (), 12 Murran Spies, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Legion Tracker - 04/30/24 08:52 PM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by stile86 - 04/30/24 06:39 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by stile86 - 04/30/24 06:33 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by thoth lad - 04/30/24 06:24 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by stile86 - 04/30/24 06:20 PM
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by stile86 - 04/30/24 06:12 PM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Ann Hebistand - 04/30/24 04:24 PM
Who's Who in Raz's Legion? *added BOUNCING BETTY 30 April*
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/30/24 12:16 PM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 29 1 2 3 4 28 29
Re: Brian Bendis & Ryan Sook relaunch the LSH
Sarcasm Kid #972349 06/13/19 04:56 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer

From the Bendis interview, I'm more excited ... hopefully optimistic even

ajohns2012 #972354 06/13/19 05:26 PM
S
Set Online Content
Long live the Legion!
Online Content
Long live the Legion!
S
Eh, trying to remain hopeful. They look about as different as Kitson's redesigns, just taken in another direction. Shady looks best, to my eye, although I also like that Cosmic Boy seems to have gotten even more Asian in appearance than the last time he trended that direction. Brainy evokes Jor-El, somehow, the classic 'comic book scientist.' Maybe it's the tunic?

Not really a fan of the looks for Garth or Imra, but it's the far future, and the Legion's 'classic' looks include stuff like bell bottoms or pixie shoes, so I'll take it. smile

Given that the orange-antennaed form has already been retconned into being a form that Durlans take off-world to make other humanoids more comfortable around them (rather than their 'normal' green tentacle-mass in purple tatters look), I'm not really caring about the tweaks to Cham's look, only intrigued by the possibility that it will carry over to Yera as well.

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
ajohns2012 #972357 06/13/19 07:32 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
It might bring me out of Limbo lol

I’m willing to give it a chance, at least.

Some people are like slinkys: not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you knock them down a flight of stairs
ajohns2012 #972362 06/13/19 09:19 PM
Active
Active
I'm speculating that Naomi is the character who will be moving to Legion.

ETA: or maybe the female character from his Dial H for Hero, whose name escapes me right now.

Continuing to think through the possibilities, based on Bendis saying it’s a female character he currently writes, whose move to Legion won’t disrupt the current DCU. Could it be Amethyst or Jinny Hex? Both have connections to the future. And he has said this initial Younf Justice lineup isn’t going to stay static.

Last edited by Brain-Fall-Out Boy; 06/14/19 12:05 AM.
ajohns2012 #972382 06/14/19 04:34 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
I'm slightly excited. Bendis says there will be 34 lead characters. Now, I guess not all will be Legionnaires. But he seems open to the idea of having a massive team. And the chances are high that some members, at least, will not be from the usual "debuted in Adventure Era and have been there in pretty much every reboot" crowd. Which I welcome. Some promising latter-day Legionnaires should get their due!

Invisible Brainiac #972385 06/14/19 05:16 AM
S
Set Online Content
Long live the Legion!
Online Content
Long live the Legion!
S
Originally Posted by Invisible Brainiac
I'm slightly excited. Bendis says there will be 34 lead characters. Now, I guess not all will be Legionnaires. But he seems open to the idea of having a massive team. And the chances are high that some members, at least, will not be from the usual "debuted in Adventure Era and have been there in pretty much every reboot" crowd. Which I welcome. Some promising latter-day Legionnaires should get their due!

True that. Thirty-four is a huge number!

There are slightly more than that, but I'd discount those whose membership is sketchy (like Infectious Lass, called a Legionnaire once, but apparently forgotten ever since), or who are dead at the moment (Rond Vidar, Myg) or even more recently dead (Star Boy, Sun Boy, both perhaps due for a retcon?), or retired from the team for various reasons (Matter-Eater Lad, Bouncing Boy, Blok, White Witch).

Of those that remain, that I can recall;

The classics (in order of me thinking of them...);

Lightning Lad, Saturn Girl, Cosmic Boy, Brainiac 5, Phantom Girl, Duplicate 'Girl', Shadow Lass, Mon-El, Ultra Boy, Colossal Boy, Chameleon Boy, Chameleon Girl, Night Girl, Element Lad, Tyroc, Invisible Kid 2, Star Boy, Dream Girl, Sun Boy, Wildfire, Dawnstar

Baxter 38 'new class - Sensor (Projectra), Polar Boy, Tellus
New, new class - Glorith, Comet Queen, Dragonwing, Chemical Kid, Harmonia Li

That's still not even 34, but leaves room for non-Legionnaire characters of significance like RJ Brande and Shvaugn Erin and Gigi Cusimano and stuff.

Granted, I'm keen on more of people we haven't seen as much of over the years, like Tyroc or Tellus (and would like for Harmonia Li, like the deaths of Sun Boy and Star Boy, or even Myg and Rond Vidar, to be conveniently forgotten and never mentioned again), but obviously the Founders + Brainy are going to be center-stage, at least to start.

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
ajohns2012 #972392 06/14/19 08:01 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Hopefully he can write for 34 characters without anyone getting the short end of the stick. I would rather have a smaller cast used well than a large cast that gets neglected. Paul was great at keeping everyone involved in the narrative with subplots, somtjat even if they weren’t part of the main story they were playing a part. Not everyone is good at that.

Some people are like slinkys: not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you knock them down a flight of stairs
ajohns2012 #972393 06/14/19 08:05 AM
Trap Timer
Online Happy
Trap Timer

ajohns2012 #972394 06/14/19 09:31 AM
Trap Timer
Online Happy
Trap Timer
Cover of Superman #15 has the three founders plus Wildfire and someone who looks to be either Ultra Boy or Colossal Boy.

Solicitation list then as being from the 32nd century???

ajohns2012 #972397 06/14/19 09:53 AM
Wanderer
Online Content
Wanderer
The Legion will actually debut August 14 in Superman #14

"Everything about this is going to feel different." (Saturn Girl, Legion of Super-Heroes #1)
Set #972398 06/14/19 09:54 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Originally Posted by Set
Originally Posted by Invisible Brainiac

True that. Thirty-four is a huge number!

There are slightly more than that, but I'd discount those whose membership is sketchy (like Infectious Lass, called a Legionnaire once, but apparently forgotten ever since), or who are dead at the moment (Rond Vidar, Myg) or even more recently dead (Star Boy, Sun Boy, both perhaps due for a retcon?), or retired from the team for various reasons (Matter-Eater Lad, Bouncing Boy, Blok, White Witch).

Of those that remain, that I can recall;

The classics (in order of me thinking of them...);

Lightning Lad, Saturn Girl, Cosmic Boy, Brainiac 5, Phantom Girl, Duplicate 'Girl', Shadow Lass, Mon-El, Ultra Boy, Colossal Boy, Chameleon Boy, Chameleon Girl, Night Girl, Element Lad, Tyroc, Invisible Kid 2, Star Boy, Dream Girl, Sun Boy, Wildfire, Dawnstar

Baxter 38 'new class - Sensor (Projectra), Polar Boy, Tellus
New, new class - Glorith, Comet Queen, Dragonwing, Chemical Kid, Harmonia Li

That's still not even 34, but leaves room for non-Legionnaire characters of significance like RJ Brande and Shvaugn Erin and Gigi Cusimano and stuff.

Granted, I'm keen on more of people we haven't seen as much of over the years, like Tyroc or Tellus (and would like for Harmonia Li, like the deaths of Sun Boy and Star Boy, or even Myg and Rond Vidar, to be conveniently forgotten and never mentioned again), but obviously the Founders + Brainy are going to be center-stage, at least to start.

And if this IS indeed a Reboot, there's no reason why characters from other continuities (Reboot, 5YL, Threeboot) cannot appear. Kinetix, XS, Gates, Kid Quantum II, Gear, Monstress, Dragonmage, Computo, Gazelle...

for that matter,even if it is set in the Retroboot continuity, there again is no reason why these characters cannot be introduced!

Last edited by Invisible Brainiac; 06/14/19 09:55 AM.
ajohns2012 #972400 06/14/19 11:31 AM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
So what will this one be called--the Bendisboot?

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
ajohns2012 #972402 06/14/19 12:57 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I wonder who will be the Legionnaire to have a nervous breakdown, kill a couple of teammates and then wipe a species out of existence...

ajohns2012 #972403 06/14/19 12:59 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Online Confused
Tempus Fugitive
Ah, nothing like sitting down at the end of the week in my bell bottoms and pixie shoes to catch up on some posts...

Originally Posted by Set
Not really a fan of the looks for Garth or Imra, but it's the far future, and the Legion's 'classic' looks include stuff like bell bottoms or pixie shoes, so I'll take it.

>betrayed gasp!< smile

I'll finally get to do a review on a current Legion issue!

Assuming that Millennium doesn't tank and they delay the actual ongoing, that is. smile Gods forbid they ever launch a bloody book without endless teaser appearances and an Event comic.

This must be the first book I've read that sums shows parts of DC history leading up to pivotal Legion related events since...gosh...last month when there were some big revelations in Electric Warriors #6. Really, there are things in that book that could lead right into the classic Adventure tales of the '60s, with minor tweaking.

Tying the future of the DCU together was also done in The history of the DC was another book that did this. Howard Chaykin's Twilight also pulled together a lot of DC's sci-fi characters into a coherent whole.

The haircuts in this new Legion also seem to have come from the same barber as Warcry in Electric Warriors. Perhaps it's a tribute. Chameleon Boy looks awfully like the Martian in Quantum Age/ Black Hammer. Too early for a company crossover? Quantum Legion has a nice (flight) ring to it.

Sure, they may all become smartbutts with endless panels of heads (surely Giffen is best suited to draw that in a 9 or even his old 16 panel format) finishing each others sentences with snarky remarks. But I have read a lot worse than a Bendis book before, so I'll give this every chance. I'm surprised that the characters look to be so identifiable. A nice nod to what has gone before, and a way of keeping old fans interested.

I noted that the Legion is coming together "Our Legion is coming together out of what they think is dire necessity. Things are starting to crumble, and they're crumbling fast, and it really feels like it's time for a new Age of Heroes for the first time in a millennium." That was the premise of the TMK run too. Also, if this is the first age of heroes in 1000 years, then the end of Electric Warriors seems leaves a few questions. Not in a bad way, but in a plot seed way. I'd be a little disappointed if the reason that series wasn't pushed was because it was going to be obsolete for this launch. That sort of thing always showed DC at it's organisational worst (see Final Crisis/ Death of the New Gods)

They also seem to be wanting to build up to another great darkness type of event. The GDS was quite early in Levitz's run. It cast a big shadow, but it didn't stop Levitz from writing plenty of other top comics. I guess this is the DC anything for an Event mentality kicking in.

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
ajohns2012 #972404 06/14/19 01:41 PM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
This might be very good, I enjoyed Bendis on New Avengers and the X-Men. I am not surprised that it is being rebooted as the last Legion book of the Retroboot was published in 2015. That means there are people whose only reference to the Legion is from the TV shows or animated movies. A fresh start sounds good and people can always continue and/or follow their favorite versions in fanfic.

Go with the good and you'll be like them; go with the evil and you'll be worse than them.- Portuguese Proverb
Spellbinder #972412 06/14/19 05:44 PM
Humanoid from the Deep
Humanoid from the Deep
Originally Posted by Spellbinder
I wonder who will be the Legionnaire to have a nervous breakdown, kill a couple of teammates and then wipe a species out of existence...

My money is on Rokk.

Keep up with what I've been watching lately!

"Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? Our nation turns its lonely eyes to you."
ajohns2012 #972413 06/14/19 06:09 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I’m going to try to be optimistic and open minded, but I still haven’t forgiven him for what he did to the Scarlet Witch. It took literal years to get her back on track.

Kappa Kid #972417 06/14/19 07:10 PM
Trap Timer
Online Happy
Trap Timer
Originally Posted by Kappa Kid
Originally Posted by Spellbinder

My money is on Rokk.

Meh. Genocidal Rokk was a couple of 'boots ago!

Lard Lad #972418 06/14/19 07:45 PM
K
Leader
Leader
K
Originally Posted by Paladin
So what will this one be called--the Bendisboot?

Don't name the baby before it's even born.

In the 2019 edition of the DC Comics Ultimate Character Guide (available in hardback) there are entries for The Legion of Super-Heroes, Saturn Girl, Brainiac 5, and Mon-El.

All now completely out-of-date.

Heh.

Let's hope it lasts more than 23 issues?

“I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal.” -- Groucho Marx
ajohns2012 #972424 06/14/19 08:41 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
-- WILDFIRE!!! I am super-pumped that we won't have to wait to see him back on the team like other iterations or runs of the Legion title. Not a huge fan of the redesign so far, but at least he has the visor.
-- I literally had Rokk's haircut in my twenties.
-- Great to see Garth front and center rather than Rokk. I always thought he was more suited to be the front-person.
-- No idea who that last person is ... I hope it's not Jo. Based on the other designs, they've been pretty recognizable. New character? I am looking forward to seeing brand new characters as well as returning faces.

Brain-Fall-Out Boy #972425 06/14/19 08:52 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally Posted by Brain-Fall-Out Boy

ETA: or maybe the female character from his Dial H for Hero, whose name escapes me right now.

Continuing to think through the possibilities, based on Bendis saying it’s a female character he currently writes, whose move to Legion won’t disrupt the current DCU. Could it be Amethyst or Jinny Hex? Both have connections to the future. And he has said this initial Younf Justice lineup isn’t going to stay static.

My initial thought was Naomi, but the preview pages all seem to show a caucasian woman with reddish hair. I don't think the character "moves" to the Legion though - if she's immortal it seems we're just following her long life into the 31st century so it's the future of whomever that character is, not that she's time traveling. (that's my take anyway)

ajohns2012 #972426 06/14/19 09:03 PM
Active
Active
Agreed on the long life, nonetheless bendis’ wording “For those who are worried, it's a character that can leave the DC Universe and walk a thousand years, and not mess up your favorite comics” makes it sound like this character won’t be around in present day books.

Brain-Fall-Out Boy #972427 06/14/19 09:51 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
I am excited, but not necessarily because I think I will enjoy it myself. I am excited because it has the potential to bring a lot of new fans into the "franchise".

Firstly there is the name draw of Bendis. Like him or hate him he is well known enough and being highlighted enough (shades of John Byrne and the 1986 Superman revamp) to garner attention.
Secondly the idea of a mini-series exploring DC's future and linking lots of characters is a draw card in itself.
Thirdly some of the new Legion characters (it sounds like a reboot to me) will be appearing in the pages of Superman before the launch of the new series as well.

So I am hopeful that this might invest some new life into the fanbase and that is worth the risk.

Other reactions to the art work: not sure, particularly like everyone else about Imra. She looks the most different. It took me a while to see the Saturn image in her costume. The hair styles will have to grow on me but then I am an old fogey. Also they look much better in action on the Superman #15 cover than in the character sketches, naturally I suppose. I also took a while to notice that there is a similarity to the costumes in legs and lower body, perhaps semi uniform like the Reboot was?

Oh and I love that first issue cover. It looked good straight away with the figure in the devastation but it took me a bit to see the whole thing as the Legion logo. Very nice.

The Superman #15 solicit is suggestive: "At last, it’s the return of the Legion of Super-Heroes! The greatest super heroes of the 32nd century have travelled back in time not just to meet the heroes who inspired them, but to make an offer…but to which hero? And why will that choice tear Superman’s life apart?" Since Jon Kent is also on the cover it sounds to me like it's a new take on the recruiting of Superboy to the team but perhaps with it being of a more permanent nature?

Originally Posted by Brain-Fall-Out Boy

Continuing to think through the possibilities, based on Bendis saying it’s a female character he currently writes, whose move to Legion won’t disrupt the current DCU. Could it be Amethyst or Jinny Hex? Both have connections to the future. And he has said this initial Young Justice lineup isn’t going to stay static.

I was wondering who this could be as well. I like the Naomi idea although the skin tone is different. It appears from the images that she changes her appearance a bit over the centuries which makes sense. My first thought was that it would be Lois Lane but that would fit into him "messing up your favourite comics" so pretty sure not. Who else? The female villain acting as a reporter in Superman?
Anyone else with ideas?

DrakeB3004 #972428 06/14/19 09:56 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally Posted by DrakeB3004
-- WILDFIRE!!! I am super-pumped that we won't have to wait to see him back on the team like other iterations or runs of the Legion title. Not a huge fan of the redesign so far, but at least he has the visor.
-- Great to see Garth front and center rather than Rokk. I always thought he was more suited to be the front-person.
-- No idea who that last person is ... I hope it's not Jo. Based on the other designs, they've been pretty recognizable. New character? I am looking forward to seeing brand new characters as well as returning faces.

I thought it might be Timber Wolf.

stile86 #972429 06/14/19 10:05 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally Posted by stile86
Originally Posted by DrakeB3004

I thought it might be Timber Wolf.

Ahhhh yes, now I can only see Timber Wolf looking at him.

Page 2 of 29 1 2 3 4 28 29

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,020
Posts1,045,031
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden