Roll Call
0 members (), 37 Murran Spies, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/09/24 08:34 AM
Kill This Thread LII - The End of the Deck of Cards
by Ann Hebistand - 05/09/24 06:41 AM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/09/24 03:04 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/09/24 03:03 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/09/24 03:03 AM
Legion Trivia 6
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/08/24 10:58 AM
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/08/24 05:47 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 40 of 58 1 2 38 39 40 41 42 57 58
Re: The Moaning, Groaning, I just want to Vent thread
Quislet, Esq #978150 10/20/19 01:44 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
That must be so frustrating. I suspect they're like this in all their classes and life in general. Have you talked to other profs about this? I doubt it's just you.

Holy Cats of Egypt!
Quislet, Esq #978156 10/20/19 07:47 AM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
Fail them and watch them cry.

Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!
Quislet, Esq #978160 10/20/19 08:30 AM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
I'd be quite open as they acting up, what the consequences would be, and fail them accordingly. The trick is doing it without defensiveness or anger. They will either learn (which being there to do just that should be a huge clue) or continue to fail. Their disruption sets a tone for others to follow, and gets in the way of those who *do* want to learn.

If there's ongoing attitude from people coming in late, there is a point where the class is simply cancelled. It's a last resort, but allowing it just encourages it. Peer pressure can kick in here (and that's something I've seen happen)

If it's the whole class not watching a movie, I'd look to understand why. There may be something in particular about it. It's very easy for teachers to have massive blind spots to things they have a passion for. "Sure the combine harvester does kill all those orphans in graphic detail, but you have to appreciate it in the wider context. A harvest comes for everything, and that's what the writer was looking to reinforce. Here, have another bucket." But if there is no good reason, then they can all fail together. It's up to you whether you continue to hand out the coursework relating to the movie anyway. Never let it be said that you didn't follow the course, or provide the material or support.

People cheating, and this seems to be a lot more widespread than I would have thought, is an insta-fail. That's completely on them.

Lurking in the background, of course, is that extensions of such things can reflect on the teacher, the course and the institution (something the institution will make painfully aware to its teaching staff). I've not seen many prospectuses that say "20% of last year's final year students passed!. That's because they were complete arses! You'll do better!"

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
rickshaw1 #978216 10/21/19 06:10 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally Posted by rickshaw1
Fail them and watch them cry.

I've been tempted to fail a whole class just to see what would happen, LOL

thoth lad #978217 10/21/19 06:18 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally Posted by thoth lad
I'd be quite open as they acting up, what the consequences would be, and fail them accordingly. The trick is doing it without defensiveness or anger. They will either learn (which being there to do just that should be a huge clue) or continue to fail. Their disruption sets a tone for others to follow, and gets in the way of those who *do* want to learn.

If there's ongoing attitude from people coming in late, there is a point where the class is simply cancelled. It's a last resort, but allowing it just encourages it. Peer pressure can kick in here (and that's something I've seen happen)

If it's the whole class not watching a movie, I'd look to understand why. There may be something in particular about it. It's very easy for teachers to have massive blind spots to things they have a passion for. "Sure the combine harvester does kill all those orphans in graphic detail, but you have to appreciate it in the wider context. A harvest comes for everything, and that's what the writer was looking to reinforce. Here, have another bucket." But if there is no good reason, then they can all fail together. It's up to you whether you continue to hand out the coursework relating to the movie anyway. Never let it be said that you didn't follow the course, or provide the material or support.

People cheating, and this seems to be a lot more widespread than I would have thought, is an insta-fail. That's completely on them.

Lurking in the background, of course, is that extensions of such things can reflect on the teacher, the course and the institution (something the institution will make painfully aware to its teaching staff). I've not seen many prospectuses that say "20% of last year's final year students passed!. That's because they were complete arses! You'll do better!"

Great points, Thoth.

For the film, I asked and no one thought I would care if they didn't watch it. Which is mind-boggling for a Media Studies course. One student suggested I put in weekly quizzes for the film. I'm now tempted, but I loathe quizzes. My thought has always been "it's your education" and "you make choices". I have never bought into quizzes as an accountability model (which gives me my answer as I ramble).

I'm fairly shocked at the cheaters and the attitude students. I made appointments with some this week. We'll see what comes of it.

Quislet, Esq #978258 10/22/19 02:39 PM
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
That's the way I saw education, Myg. You are paying for it, one way or the other, there's no free lunch. So, if you are paying for it, why in the hell would you shortchange yourself? I'd want more than just the hour they spend in class. It's like eating out and paying. I'm not gonna fill up on nachos and leave my fajita's on the table.

Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!
Quislet, Esq #978259 10/22/19 02:48 PM
Trap Timer
Trap Timer
Unfortunately, for too many these days the attitude is that you are paying for the *degree*, not for the *education*.

Quislet, Esq #982844 03/12/20 04:34 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Guys with everything going on I am getting really scared

Quislet, Esq #982861 03/13/20 09:42 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Understandable
Things are pretty intense

We always have this space

Quislet, Esq #982893 03/14/20 06:43 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Many of my family members are also scared. I get updates from them daily.

Quislet, Esq #982925 03/14/20 03:11 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
A good source for reliable news - https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

And

tips on coping with the psychological stress

https://www.who.int/docs/default-so...lth-considerations.pdf?sfvrsn=6d3578af_8

Last edited by Invisible Brainiac; 03/14/20 03:12 PM.
Quislet, Esq #982928 03/14/20 04:12 PM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
Thanks, Ibby.

Since I woke up today, my best coping mechanism has consistently been my sketchbook.

In the last 12 hours, I've designed a Pre-Crisis JSA poster, re-imagined the Crime Syndicate, homaged the cover to JLA v1 #22 (the one with the two Green Lanterns freeing their teammates from cosmic cages,) and prepared a pin-up of my beloved Pre-Crisis Queen Bee.

My greatest source of comfort is knowing that all us Legion Worlders are here to support each other. hug love

Still "Fickles" to my friends.
Quislet, Esq #982931 03/14/20 04:37 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
Keeping productive is a great way to weather this storm smile Kudos, Fanfie.

Quislet, Esq #982942 03/14/20 07:21 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
That doc from WHO that you linked to has some great advice. Thanks Ibby.

stile86 #982944 03/15/20 01:17 AM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Originally Posted by stile86

Be sure to get Doctor from WHO advice, rather than Doctor Who advice though.

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
stile86 #982955 03/15/20 03:04 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
On the other hand, a Doctor Who marathon is a great way to spend self-isolation!

Cheers, stile smile

Invisible Brainiac #982968 03/15/20 03:47 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally Posted by thoth lad

Be sure to get Doctor from WHO advice, rather than Doctor Who advice though.

Originally Posted by Invisible Brainiac
On the other hand, a Doctor Who marathon is a great way to spend self-isolation!

Now there's a great suggestion I can get behind, even if I don't have to self-isolate. Time to timey-whimey.

Quislet, Esq #983112 03/18/20 03:06 PM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
The stupid county gov't couldn't leave the libraries open ONE MORE DAY so that my 3 requests could arrive!

And they were IMPORTANT requests, too -- collections of dozens of old JLA stories that I was planning to redraw as a fan project!

@$%^$^*%*!

Quislet, Esq #983113 03/18/20 03:09 PM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
Now that I've vented in the post above, I realize I'm being selfish and small-minded, and that the needs of the many must supercede the needs of the individual in a real-life crisis of this magnitude.

I'm only human.

Ann Hebistand #983125 03/18/20 05:15 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Originally Posted by Ann Hebistand
Now that I've vented in the post above, I realize I'm being selfish and small-minded, and that the needs of the many must supercede the needs of the individual in a real-life crisis of this magnitude.

It's not venting if it was done any other way. That reminds me that my book is due back tomorrow. I've not even started it. The request pool in my area is really limited, particularly for comics. I hope I don't get there to find a closed notice. Online won't let me renew it on the day it's due.

Originally Posted by Ann
I'm only human.

But if *you're* human, then who is....>gasp!<
Tune in for... Attack of the Hebibots!

Quislet, Esq #983138 03/19/20 02:25 AM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard
It's normal to be initially upset and angry at these things, so don't beat yourself up too much, Fanfie.

The important thing is being able to get perspective after it, which you have.

Quislet, Esq #983139 03/19/20 03:33 AM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
Thanks, guys.

Invisible Brainiac #983194 03/19/20 05:20 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
It's normal to be initially upset and angry at these things, so don't beat yourself up too much, Fanfie.

Absolutely. Well said Ibby. Anyone who is remaining completely calm and collected all the time in the current situation is doing unbelievably well.

Quislet, Esq #983197 03/19/20 05:31 PM
Humanoid from the Deep
Humanoid from the Deep
I know I gotta be smart and avoid close interactions with other people, but damn I just want to hang with people in real life. I've had maybe 5 minutes of actual F2F human conversation in the past 5 days. frown

Keep up with what I've been watching lately!

"Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? Our nation turns its lonely eyes to you."
Kappa Kid #983207 03/19/20 10:16 PM
Unseen, not unheard
Unseen, not unheard

Absolutely. Well said Ibby. Anyone who is remaining completely calm and collected all the time in the current situation is doing unbelievably well.

indeed!

Originally Posted by Kappa Kid
I know I gotta be smart and avoid close interactions with other people, but damn I just want to hang with people in real life. I've had maybe 5 minutes of actual F2F human conversation in the past 5 days. frown

hugs, pal. yeah, I thought working from home all the time would be amazing, but it's starting to grate on me a bit, too. if I hadn't moved in with my new guy (for the duration of the measures), I would be going nuts now.

It's also a bit selfish of me, but I was initially a little bit upset about all this because I was looking forward to 3 trips this year -

a) visiting a friend in Stockholm
b) a friend's wedding in Chile, and I would have passed by Peru to see another friend there
c) a friend's wedding in Mauritius

I have never been to any of these 4 countries, and I was super stoked to finally go.

Of course, this must all be even worse for my friends who are getting married. What do they do? do they move the dates?

Page 40 of 58 1 2 38 39 40 41 42 57 58

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,021
Posts1,045,222
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
cleome57
cleome57
Vanity, OR
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star