Roll Call
0 members (), 60 Murran Spies, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Would Kid Psycho be cooler...
by Ann Hebistand - 04/28/24 11:11 AM
Kill This Thread LI - Already???
by Ann Hebistand - 04/28/24 07:19 AM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/28/24 02:51 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/28/24 02:50 AM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 04/28/24 02:49 AM
Legion of Super-Heroes #7 (2020) - Preview and Spoilers
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 10:06 AM
The 2nd All Avengers Thread
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 10:04 AM
So, what are you listening to?
by Ann Hebistand - 04/27/24 06:34 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 56 of 141 1 2 54 55 56 57 58 140 141
Re: The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
thoth lad #984941 04/16/20 05:34 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally Posted by thoth lad
stile for another win. Super Adaptoid overloaded trying to use all of the avengers powers at once. He'd absorbed Thor and Iron Man's powers in this one. His costume changes when he does it, which was a nice touch. In this case his head got little Thor wings and he had to visit the doctor due to rust problems. smile

If memory serves he also turned green which I never understood.

A woman is mugged and killed in an alley and a hobo dies of old age exacerbated by radiation poisoning. Batman investigates. How are these events connected and why are they a threat to Superman?

Invisible Brainiac #984956 04/17/20 03:25 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
Did the Super Adaptoid turn into Kryptonite Man?

Erm. Woman and hobo. Um. Did the events in the alley give rise to a new super villain, who somehow hates Superman?

Invisible Brainiac #984969 04/17/20 08:23 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
The hobo had been exposed to Metallo who mugged the woman?

Invisible Brainiac #985009 04/17/20 05:08 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
The woman is working for Luther, and has run off with some Kryptonite. The homeless guy was an innocent bystander trying to save the woman from Neutron, only to die from radiation poisoning. The crime occurs in Gotham, so Bats in investigating and it's a threat to Supes as Bats forgot to take his anti-Supes Kryptonite capsule out of his utility belt.

EDIT: I guess Super Adaptoid had the powers form early Avengers member, The Hulk

Last edited by thoth lad; 04/17/20 05:09 PM.

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
thoth lad #985024 04/17/20 07:55 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally Posted by Invisible Brainiac
Did the events in the alley give rise to a new super villain, who somehow hates Superman?
No super villain creation.
Originally Posted by Myg - Andy S
The hobo had been exposed to Metallo who mugged the woman?
No. Metallo is not involved.
The woman is working for Luther, and has run off with some Kryptonite. The homeless guy was an innocent bystander trying to save the woman from Neutron, only to die from radiation poisoning. The crime occurs in Gotham, so Bats in investigating and it's a threat to Supes as Bats forgot to take his anti-Supes Kryptonite capsule out of his utility belt.
Incorrect although has elements.
The woman used to work for Luthor (important), Kryptonite is involved but the mugging does not occur in Gotham.

Any of those points help? This might be a bit obscure for non-Superman readers so I am happy to entertain questions and will add more clues as I go.

Invisible Brainiac #985037 04/18/20 05:05 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
This seems tantalizingly familiar. Is the woman victim that computer scientist who concluded that Superman was Clark Kent, and was fired for it because Luthor was too dense and egotistic, to accept that such a powerful Superman would deign to pass himself off as a lowly reporter?

You're definitely a big Supes fan, stile! I like learning about these cool stories through your trivia questions.

stile86 #985043 04/18/20 06:18 AM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Originally Posted by stile

...and the winner of Pun of the Week is...stile86 for the use of "elements" in response to the mention of "Kryptonite" ? > Mad Audience Applause, but that's what you get when you host awards ceremonies in Arkham<

Originally Posted by stile86
Any of those points help? This might be a bit obscure for non-Superman readers so I am happy to entertain questions and will add more clues as I go.

Not a bit of it! When a Boom Tube delivered, Orion gnawed, bargain copies of Jimmy Olsen's series to me, it also delivered the Tombola of Silver Age Plotting! Perfect for answering this sort of thing!

Because my Supes comic books are a bit limited, the woman I remember working for him was the one who discovered that Clark & Supes were one and the same. Luther fired her. This would be in the first couple of Byrne issues. From the "(important)" bit, I might be one the right lines. Thinking back, Luthor was complete slime. Weinstein as a super villain.

So, does she then try and prove her theory? Before she goes she might steal some of Metallo's kryptonite from Luthor's lab. The homeless guy is someone who stole that sample at some point? It's a threat to Supes, because of the Kryptonite and that she knows his secret ID. Batman is involved because... due to the Kryptonite he can't solve this one so it's an early post crisis World's Finest as Bats pieces together the clues and solves the homeless guy's death. Supes & Bats weren't on good terms, so does some of the woman's Luthor-science get fenced in Gotham? That would start Bats on the trail.

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Invisible Brainiac #985044 04/18/20 06:19 AM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Yoikes! Sniped by Ibbster! stile will have to work out which one is closer!...

Invisible Brainiac #985106 04/18/20 07:40 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally Posted by Invisible Brainiac
This seems tantalizingly familiar. Is the woman victim that computer scientist who concluded that Superman was Clark Kent, and was fired for it because Luthor was too dense and egotistic, to accept that such a powerful Superman would deign to pass himself off as a lowly reporter?

You're definitely a big Supes fan, stile! I like learning about these cool stories through your trivia questions.

Thanks. Glad you enjoy learnign these tidbits.

Yes that is the woman, although this event happens 4 years later (in publishing time anyway).

...and the winner of Pun of the Week is...stile86 for the use of "elements" in response to the mention of "Kryptonite" ? > Mad Audience Applause, but that's what you get when you host awards ceremonies in Arkham<

LOL! Totally unintentional! Good spotting.

Because my Supes comic books are a bit limited, the woman I remember working for him was the one who discovered that Clark & Supes were one and the same. Luther fired her. This would be in the first couple of Byrne issues. From the "(important)" bit, I might be one the right lines. Thinking back, Luthor was complete slime. Weinstein as a super villain.

So, does she then try and prove her theory? Before she goes she might steal some of Metallo's kryptonite from Luthor's lab. The homeless guy is someone who stole that sample at some point? It's a threat to Supes, because of the Kryptonite and that she knows his secret ID. Batman is involved because... due to the Kryptonite he can't solve this one so it's an early post crisis World's Finest as Bats pieces together the clues and solves the homeless guy's death. Supes & Bats weren't on good terms, so does some of the woman's Luthor-science get fenced in Gotham? That would start Bats on the trail.

Yes you too have picked the right woman. Bonus points for guessing that she tried to prove her theory and did steal some kryptonite from Luthor.

OK I thought about holding out for one last detail, specifically the piece of kryptonite, but that seems a bit fussy. I am going to award the win to Thoth whose imaginative recreation covers a few more plot points. Here is the full story with some background (the writers during this period Jerry Ordway, Dan Jurgens and Stern McLeod were using lots of subplots and tying lots of lore together).

Way back in Superman vol 2 #1, Byrne's first new issue, Luthor captures Metallo just as he is about to kill Superman and tells Metallo that is a pleasure he is keeping for himself. He takes Metallo's kryptonite and fashions some of it into a jewel on a ring which he wears constantly on his right hand to tease Superman and keep him at bay. Not long after comes the incident you both remember when Luthor, wondering about how Clark Kent gets all the best Superman stories in the Daily Planet, puts one of his best scientist Amanda McCoy on to the problem and she concludes that Superman and Clark Kent are the same person, a conclusion that Luthor rejects. He is so enraged that he fires McCoy (after having forced her to spend the night with him) and makes sure that she can never find work again.

Over the years other plot points happen, such as the low level radiation from the kryptonite ring gives Luthor radiation poisoning, necessitating the amputation of his right hand (which he of course blames Superman for) and will eventually cause his death. Occasionally strange parcels arrive at Clark Kent's desk to the Daily Planet such as a scrapbook of newspaper clippings of disasters averted at the last minute and later clippings of Superman. He eventually finds out that it belongs to Ma Kent but not before Batman has deduced his double identity from it. In another seemingly unrelated incident a man superficially similar to Clark is rayblasted to death by Intergang in Kent's apartment while Superman is in exile in space and everyone thinks Clark is dead for a while but Superman has no idea who the dead stranger is.

Finally Amanda arranges a secret meeting with Kent where she uses the kryptonite ring to force him to admit he is Superman. He thinks this is some plot of Luthor's but once McCoy screams out her hatred for Luthor he suggests a teamup but collapses. Amanda thinks she has accidentally killed him and runs off in a panic. Wandering in a daze she is mugged and killed in a back alley.

Then follows the Three-part story titled "Dark Knight over Metropolis".

Superman is naturally worried about the mysterious lady with the ring who knows his identity but has no idea how to find her. Meanwhile an old hobo dies in an alley in Gotham showing signs of radiation poisoning. Amongst his few possessions Batman finds a strange green ring (which he determines has a low level of radioactivity - in this period of post-Crisis stories kryptonite is extremely rare and generally unknown which is why he does not immediately recognise it) and a bus token from Metropolis so heads there to investigate. Superman and Batman are not exactly friends during this period, in fact they find each other's methods of operating quite irritating. Nevertheless they team up to foil a plot by Intergang and to solve their mysteries which end up joined. It seem the muggers, who did not notice the ring which was later found in the alley by the hobo, stole Amanda's keys and ransacked her apartment but completely missed her diary telling the whole story including Superman's dual identity. In her attempts to prove her theory McCoy had mailed things like the scrapbook to Kent to provoke a reaction and hired a PI to investigate Kent without letting on why. It was the PI who was killed in Kent's apartement. After that Amanda didn't want to get anyone else killed and so stole the ring from Luthor's vault and confronted Clark. Batman has had the ring all along without letting Superman know but he now leaves it for him as he departs.

In the the concluding scene Superman visits Batman in his cave for the first time and gives the ring to him saying that although they may not be friends, if the need to stop him (Superman) ever arises he wants the means to do so in the hands of someone he can trust with his life.

Wow what a ramble.

Take it away Thoth.

Last edited by stile86; 04/18/20 07:48 PM.
Invisible Brainiac #985119 04/19/20 04:11 AM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Thanks for the information on what happened with that subplot. I think the start of it was exactly when I stopped reading the book. I was aware Amanda had come back, but I don't know if she'd been identified as such in the book. Superman had just gone into space. I don't think I outlasted Byrne's tenure by too long.

I have two questions! The second was something I tripped over, and might be a little hit or miss. So.?

1) The defeat of Despero had cost the JusticeLeagueAmerica the life of Mister Miracle (or so they thought). Max Lord looks to reinforce the team & J'Onn makes an invite. Who is asked to join/ change membership status in that issue & who turns up to join?

1 -
2 -
3 -
4 -
5-
6 -
7 -
8 -

I'm not counting L-Ron!

The second question was... What was unusual about Doom Patrol member Scott Fisher's superhero career.

Invisible Brainiac #985124 04/19/20 04:29 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
That was a nice read, stile! I remember the Metallo scene.

and a nice story leading to Batman and Superman becoming somewhat friends (though it's not my favorite dynamic between the two).

Poor Amanda. Always sympathized with her, she was quite a tragic character, ruined through no fault of her own.

thoth lad #985197 04/19/20 07:07 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
1) The defeat of Despero had cost the JusticeLeagueAmerica the life of Mister Miracle (or so they thought). Max Lord looks to reinforce the team & J'Onn makes an invite. Who is asked to join/ change membership status in that issue & who turns up to join?
I should know the answer to this. I collected and read all of JLI/JLA/JLE right through to the end of the run but my memory is a bit vague on these later issues. It was a robot copy of MM that died crashing a shuttle into Despero wasn't it?
Hmm. Was this when Tasmanian Devil was recruited?

thoth lad #985198 04/19/20 07:09 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
The second question was... What was unusual about Doom Patrol member Scott Fisher's superhero career.
Didn't read much of this run except for crossovers. Did he never get a super-hero name before he died?

Invisible Brainiac #985199 04/19/20 07:34 PM
C
Wanderer
Wanderer
C
I remember the recuitment drive, though I probably can't name them all.

1) Starman (Will Payton)
2) El Diablo
3) Hawk
4) Dove (Dawn Granger)
5) Black Canary?
6) Doctor Fate?
7) Orion?
8) Lightray?

Chaim Mattis Keller
ckeller@nyc.rr.com
Legion-Reference-File Lad
thoth lad #985202 04/19/20 08:43 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer

I have vague recollections of this, but can't quite figure it out

1 - Black Canary
2 - General Glory
3 - Hal Jordan
4 - Aquaman
5- Power Girl
6 - Blue Jay
7 - Wonder Woman
8 - Batman

Wasn't that the kid who could acid burn through things because he was exposed to toxic waste as a kid? He died of the cancer his powers gave him

stile86 #985210 04/20/20 02:36 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
Like with CMK, I remember the recruitment drive, but not all the details. i do know it was a mix between former Leaguers and entirely new heroes.

1 - Hawk
2 - Dove
3 - Starman Will Payton
4 - Huntress
5 - El Diablo
6 - Orion
7 - Lightray
8 - Lobo

On Scott Fisher: didn't he slip into a coma and die during Invasion?

Originally Posted by stile86
I should know the answer to this. I collected and read all of JLI/JLA/JLE right through to the end of the run but my memory is a bit vague on these later issues. It was a robot copy of MM that died crashing a shuttle into Despero wasn't it?

I'm pretty sure that wasn't. The Mr. Miracle copy died before Breakdowns, Taz showed up in Breakdowns. Taz was already attached to the JLI Australia embassy earlier on, but only went to join the American branch during Breakdowns.

Invisible Brainiac #985248 04/20/20 04:54 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Q1.
It was a robot copy of MM that died crashing a shuttle into Despero wasn't it?

Yes, it was.

No, it wasn't. Ibby has all the Taz facts above. I did wonder why we never saw much of him at the time, even though he was part of the global team.

1) Starman (Will Payton)
2) El Diablo
3) Hawk
4) Dove (Dawn Granger)
5) Batman
6)
7) Orion
8) Lightray

Guy Gardner tried to fight Starman into joining.
Fire had a long chat with El Diablo, with Beetle getting bored at the bar.
Huntress & Ice felt that Hawk & Dove were rude about not wanting to join. Huntress has been mind controlled by Max Lord to even be on the team.
Orion & Lightray arrive as real Scott goes on extended leave to be with Barda.
Batman is asked to move from part time status to full time, by J'Onn, but declines. J'Onn is also looking to take some leave, which is why he asked Bats back.

One to get.

Q2.
Originally Posted by Ibbster
On Scott Fisher: didn't he slip into a coma and die during Invasion?

Yes, he did. Clearing the decks for Morrison's run.

Didn't read much of this run except for crossovers. Did he never get a super-hero name before he died?

Yay! Right first time. He might have only got his name in a previews magazine, but got bumped off before they gave it to him in the book.

Invisible Brainiac #985252 04/20/20 09:29 PM
C
Wanderer
Wanderer
C
That last one is going to bug me until I or someone else gets it. I can see the Mike McKone artwork in the issue like it was yesterday, but I'm blanking on another recruit/re-joiner that I've missed...

Superman?

Chaim Mattis Keller
ckeller@nyc.rr.com
Invisible Brainiac #985259 04/20/20 11:26 PM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
I remember thinking it odd, that Max mind-controlled Huntress into joining... and she ended up not doing much while she was with the team!

I remember Hawk, Dove, Will Payton etc. being on the cover...

Hm...

I'll guess Atom (Ray Palmer)?

Invisible Brainiac #985274 04/21/20 12:14 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Jay Garrick?

Invisible Brainiac #985283 04/21/20 04:35 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Tempus Fugitive
Not Superman, Atom or Jay.

Invisible Brainiac #985286 04/21/20 06:21 PM
C
Wanderer
Wanderer
C
Big Barda?

Chaim Mattis Keller
ckeller@nyc.rr.com
Invisible Brainiac #985287 04/21/20 06:32 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Doctor Fate?

Invisible Brainiac #985289 04/21/20 06:33 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Question?

Invisible Brainiac #985305 04/22/20 03:44 AM
Unseen, not unheard
OP Offline
Unseen, not unheard
Hawkman, perhaps? for a second try?

Page 56 of 141 1 2 54 55 56 57 58 140 141

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,020
Posts1,044,974
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Eryk Davis Ester
Eryk Davis Ester
Liberty City
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star