Roll Call
0 members (), 50 Murran Spies, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Time-Scope
Inane one word posts XXXIV - inanity
by thoth lad - 05/13/24 05:34 AM
Legion Trivia 6
by thoth lad - 05/12/24 11:36 PM
Kill This Thread LII - The End of the Deck of Cards
by thoth lad - 05/12/24 02:15 PM
I'm Thinking of a DCU character Part 6!
by Chaim Mattis Keller - 05/11/24 09:37 PM
The Non-Legion Comics Trivia Thread Pt 5
by Eryk Davis Ester - 05/10/24 04:47 PM
Legionnaire Mastermind
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:58 AM
Wheel of Fortune / Hangman Season 3
by Invisible Brainiac - 05/10/24 02:56 AM
Omnicom
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 78 of 80 1 2 76 77 78 79 80
Re: The All Avengers Thread
Fanfic Lady #982651 03/07/20 06:05 PM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
Thanks, Stile.

At one time, I would have been interested in a look at Stark's soul -- like, say, 1994, which was the last time I ever liked him (specifically, issue 313, which ends with him and Bethany Cabe toasting (with non-alcoholic drinks) to a better future to come. I tend to look at that scene, and that issue, as the end of Iron Man as I once knew and loved him. Everything since then (literally everything) is just bad alternate-universe fan fiction to me.

The problem facing Marvel writers is twofold -- 1) The comic book Stark is now inextricably tied to the movie Stark, and capturing RDJ's voice on paper has proven nigh impossible without reading like an ugly, annoying parody of RDJ; 2) Editors tend to fall back on the old trope of, "Let's have Stark do something borderline irredeemable" to the point where there it's been increasingly hard to find *anything* for him to do that doesn't require some laughable contrivance to bounce back from.

Maybe Aaron pulled it off this time, maybe not. I'm just not sure I even care to find out anymore.

Still "Fickles" to my friends.
Fanfic Lady #983126 03/18/20 06:00 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Haven't tried any of Aaron's Avengers. I was all set to because I'm a fan of his work on such works of his as Scalped and Southern Bastards. What I've tried of his Marvel work has been mostly a mixed bag--the best of what I've sampled was his run on Dr. Strange. But I flipped thru Avengers #1 and was instantly turned off by the art. I thought I was excited by Ed McGuiness being Aaron's artist, based on my exposure to him on Superman, but it looked AWFUL in this Avengers book. Being that the reviews were pretty lukewarm anyway, it was a hard pass. ( I was actually going to try the post-Aaron Thor relaunch around the same timefor a fresh start, but the art turned me off of that one as well.)

Soon, I hope to share some thoughts on Avengers Omnibus Vol. 3, which I read recently, and some general impressions on the Roy Thomas era before the Kree/Skrull War.

Still "Lardy" to my friends!
Fanfic Lady #983140 03/19/20 03:34 AM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
Ooh! Looking forward to that, Lardy! nod

Fanfic Lady #987290 05/30/20 10:32 AM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
Looking through my files this morning, I found an old essay from an old blog of mine. I was going to post a link, but then I decided it needed a bit of tweaking. Here tis, Avengers fans:

Originally Posted by Fickles
I got to thinking (which is always dangerous), that what really bothers me the most about "Avengers Disassembled" is not that the team was destroyed from within, but that said destruction was the work of a female Avenger, the Scarlet Witch...and one of the longest-standing, most upstanding (give or take the odd misanthropic comment) female Avengers at that. ?Now, you may respond, "But she had turned evil before, when she was with the West Coast Avengers," or "But she was Magneto's daughter," or "But Doctor Doom was manipulating her the whole time." ?To which I reply:

- She was turned evil in a random, ham-fisted way, courtesy of writer/artist John Byrne, who had previously turned girl-next-door mutant Jean Grey into a planet-killer, and turned milky-wholesome matron Susan Storm-Richards into a super-dominatrix. (UPDATE: I was in my misguided "Byrne Is Evil" phase at the time I wrote this essay.)

- She was never supposed to be Magneto's daughter. ?That was a retcon of her original parentage, which held that she was the daughter of two Golden Age heroes. ?And in a delicious bit of poetic justice, that regrettable retcon was itself retconned in the several years ago, so that she is officially no longer Magneto's daughter, or even a mutant! (UPDATE: I neither know nor care what Wanda's status is in 2020.)

- The Doctor Doom thing was also an after-the-fact retcon. ?Although Marvel's Powers That Be would probably deny it today, she was quite clearly acting of her own free will when she destroyed her own team, and it was originally meant to stay that way as canon.

And while the notion of the Avengers finding out that one of their most powerful members was a potential loose cannon all along has a lot of creative potential (more on that shortly), the Avengers come off -- perhaps on purpose, perhaps not, depending on what writer Brian Bendis's true intent was -- as a bunch of nasty, callous, petty, self-absorbed backstabbers who couldn't possibly have helped the Scarlet Witch under any circumstances. ?Worse yet, Bendis commits one of the biggest sins a writer can perpetrate -- telling rather than showing. ?The Scarlet Witch's entire motivation and backstory are crammed into a blatant chunk of expository info-dump, resulting in the intended shock revelation coming off as terribly anti-climactic.

But just like there are no bad characters, only bad writers (although depending on my mood, I might classify Tigra and Psylocke as hopeless characters), there are no bad plots, either, only...et cetera. ?"Avengers Disassembled" could have been superlative IMHO, but if, and only if, the team's destruction from within had been perpetrated by a male Avenger.

Note that I did not say "any male Avenger" but "*a* male Avenger." ?To whom am I referring? ?Let's run down the list of possibilities:

- Iron Man? ?No, he took out his self-loathing out on himself by pouring too much booze down his gullet. ?Besides, turning Tony into a villain is fraught with peril (Exhibit A: "The Crossing.")

- Hank Pym? ?No, he took out his self-loathing on his wife, the jerk. ?And before you raise an objection, consider that the hints and signs had been there all along since the Roy Thomas Avengers era (some might even argue the Stan Lee Avengers era.)

- Captain America? ?Don't make me laugh. ?That's almost as ridiculous as the idea of Steve being a Nazi. ?(Oh, hang on a minute...no, that was wiped out just as quickly as Marvel initially flaunted it.)

- Hawkeye? ?Well, he's been so unrecognizable since the first time that Bendis wrote him that he might as well be a villain now as far as I'm concerned (did I mention that I also hate Jeremy Renner's portrayal of him?) ?But Hawkeye turning evil and destroying his team from within lacks a certain grandeur that the Avengers final battle must have.

- Wonder Man? ?Nah, an ion-powered Evil Pseudo-Superman would be too much like the overrated Nefaria Trilogy. ?No reason to be redundant.

- Vision? ?Um...it's already sort of been done. ?Roger Stern's near-perfectly-written Vision story arc had the once-stalwart synthizoid nearly conquering the world via computer. ?Again, no reason to be redundant.

Nope, if any male Avenger should have Disassembled the Avengers, it's that certain founding member with the hunky build, the great hair, and the trusty hammer, that card-carrying member of the mythological Gods: THOR!

First of all, it has a perfect circularity to it: just as Loki accidentally created the Avengers, so his half-brother Thor un-creates the Avengers.

Second of all, an evil berserker Thor would effin' kick ass! ?A God gone bad, taking out his frustrations on us mere mortals? ?I'd be the first in line to buy that.

Third of all, even though Marvel's Thor has traditionally been painted with broad strokes as an impossibly noble sort, the characters in the actual Norse myths are a mean, savage bunch. ?For continuity buffs, we could say that Thor had been bottling it all up for centuries as the mortals' plane evolved into a so-called civilization with a corrupt underside. ?Thor eventually gets so frustrated that HE turns out to the one who triggers Ragnarok. ?Plausible? ?Check! ?Seamless? ?Check!

Fourth of all, instead of attacking passive-aggressively with random reality distortions while hiding in plain sight, like the Scarlet Witch did, Thor would mount a battle-lusting frontal assault that the right kind of artist could turn into a vast panorama of balletic violence with a cast of thousands. ?Plus, plenty of mythological intrigue as the denizens of the world's pantheons are forced to choose sides. ?Are you with Thor or against him? ?It's worth it just to see how Thor's sometime friend Hercules might react (if and when Herc is written right, of course.)

And finally, this scenario has exactly the sort of larger-than-life grandeur befitting the Avengers. ?Also, as a founding Avenger who has rarely been absent from the team for any extended period of time, he has near-inconceivable six-degrees-of-separation value, which would provide a plausible reason for everyone who was ever an Avenger to assemble for what could very well be the last time.

As an addendum, I feel I have to add that making the Avenger responsible for the team's self-destruction an actual God renders the whole gender issue moot. ?If there is a moral to this scenario, it's that Gods, now matter how they identify, should not step down from their lofty citadels to mingle with mortals, as it could have disastrous consequences for all concerned.

(UPDATE: I didn't read the 2019 War of the Realms event, but from spoilers I've seen, it makes me wonder if Jason Aaron might have read the original version of this essay.)

Fanfic Lady #987313 05/30/20 08:33 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Thanks for the article Ann. Thought-provoking. Thor as the bad guy? Not sure I have ever seen that but it could make for interesting reading and your basis is certainly plausible.

As for Wanda I have always liked her as a character and yet I am not as disturbed as you by her being the antagonist in this story.
Wanda being "evil" I agree does not fit.
However Wanda having a breakdown and losing her sanity I can certainly see, especially considering the abuse and control by numerous others she has been put through in the past.

I felt the same way about Hal Jordan's breakdown. It not only made for engaging reading but was entirely plausible and an amazing journey seeing the character going off the deep end and being aware of his journey without being able to stop it.
I thought the Parallax retcon, while being nice to have Hal back again and yielding a number of interesting future plot points, not only cheapened the previous story but also was a slap in the face for the reality of mental health issues.

I haven't read about Doctor Doom being the cause of her actions but if so I am disappointed. The character can be redeemed without making past actions "not her fault".
That position itself may a bit controversial but I am a strong believer in people being able to be redeemed and become a positive force, not forgetting past actions and still paying the consequence for them, but still being able to change for the better.

There was in recent years a powerful scene where Carol Danvers was battling something and Wanda turned up to help. Carol was delighted to see her again after so long and invited her back to Avengers HQ. Wanda was reluctant but Carol insisted. They were met at the door by Vision who pointedly told Wanda that he understood all that had happened and changed but surely Wanda realised that she was no longer welcome here, with the strong implication that particularly include him. Wanda left despairing and Carol was livid but someone else (ironically Jen I think or possibly Janet) explained to Carol that if anyone had the right to act that way it was Vision. This sort of dealing with the reality of past actions is what I would like to see more of.

Anyway thanks for the thoughts and keep them coming.

Fanfic Lady #987325 05/31/20 03:49 AM
Tempus Fugitive
Online Confused
Tempus Fugitive
That was a good read, thanks Fickles.

I recall Thor being asked to apologise for his attitude to reporters (sorry, I think it was the Busiek/ Perez run), and him going off in a mega huff over it. It was a tiny intrusion of reality into their lives. If it had been in place from the start, Thor would have stropped off along with the Hulk after #1. I've not read any Thor comics, so I've no idea how they've addressed having a god from a pantheon that actually exists and how that impacts the cultures that they were the gods over. The only other hint I have read would be Thor being considered delusional in The Ultimates. He could still be a noble hero, and lead straight into Ragnarok. His view of Midgard is markedly different than ours.

I like the idea that it's Thor who disassembles the Avengers. It would make a cracking story for someone to play with (hint smile)

I picked up Disassembled at the time. After the reaction to the visceral violence had settled down, I just watched with mild horror (and not in a good way). There was an element of Ellis setting up his Authority team about it. The writer has a new team to put in place. He knows the main plot point to get there. But with the mind firmly on the things to come, and the setups needed for it, there's a casual disregard for anything else. I laughed out loud at Hawkeye's seeming departure. Then there was the sheer randomness of events, pushing it forward.

I'm a bit of a fair weather Avengers reader. I've read chunks over the years. But not nearly enough that I was buying it every month when the characters were shaped. So I really enjoyed the part of Byrne's West Coast Avengers run I read. He established it as the much better Avengers book of the time. I don't think I was reading when Wanda went bad. I recall a hint of it when she was investigating Vision's disappearance. I 've read touches of Byrnes continuity acrobatics since, and it was painful. Others mining similar ground probably makes for a worse reading experience. The Invisible Woman, Phoenix, Wanda point is well made.

That's possibly one point I'd make on having characters deal with their past actions. With the regular, desperate chop and change with characters as writers appear and disappear in the blink of an eye, it's unfair on the characters. Writer A arrives and goes down the tired old trope of picking out characters for abuse (sorry character growth). Writer A lasts all of 6 months on the book, leaving Writer B with a broken character saddled with the luggage of Writer A's ham fisted smashing of whatever few things made them stand out.

Off the top of my head, I'd have a story start with someone realising that they'd *all* been brainwashed, had their family killed, betrayed the team and had little in the way of depth to their lives. That would lead to the growing suspicion that something, over the decades, was behind all of this. It would be a clearing the air for them all. Pick out the best bits of them and move on into a new set up with some mandates that Jean doesn't have to die, Wanda doesn't have to be evil, Hank doesn't always involve himself in domestic abuse and Susan doesn't have a thing for S&M gear. It's sad seeing reboots/ versions pick out the same points each time. Mind you, when DC tried this with Crisis, it was five minutes after Byrne's Supes relaunch that we had another Supergirl and Titano. In the end, there was nothing that couldn't have been done with the Pre Crisis Superman.

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Fanfic Lady #987326 05/31/20 03:52 AM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
An interesting perspective that provides a lot of food for thought. Thanks for chiming in, Stile.

What bothers me, rather than disturbs me, about Wanda being the Disassembler is that it almost always seems to be a woman who loses control of the great power being wielded. I'm not saying it should always be a man instead, I'm saying there should be an equal ratio.

I agree that Wanda's breakdown could have made for a compelling story if executed right, but Bendis (and Loeb and Millar, who appear to have ghosted portions of the story) really messed up on the follow-through.

I haven't read the scene you describe at the end of your post, and now I'm curious about it. What's the exact series title and issue number?

thoth lad #987340 05/31/20 06:01 AM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
Originally Posted by thoth lad
That was a good read, thanks Fickles.

You're welcome, Thoth, and I thank you for sharing your own thoughts.

I recall Thor being asked to apologise for his attitude to reporters (sorry, I think it was the Busiek/ Perez run), and him going off in a mega huff over it. It was a tiny intrusion of reality into their lives. If it had been in place from the start, Thor would have stropped off along with the Hulk after #1.

Thor actually did do that in What If v.1 issue 3, which is one of the best Avengers stories of all time, alternate timeline or not.

I've not read any Thor comics, so I've no idea how they've addressed having a god from a pantheon that actually exists and how that impacts the cultures that they were the gods over.

Very awkwardly. LOL

John Buscema, who drew Thor's solo book on and off throughout the 70s, said that he only enjoyed drawing Thor when the stories took place in Asgard. I think that puts it all in a nutshell.

And having said *that,* I'd still recommend reading Walter Simonson's writer/artist run on Thor. He dealt with the Asgard/Earth dichotomy better than most creators.

I like the idea that it's Thor who disassembles the Avengers. It would make a cracking story for someone to play with (hint smile)

smile

Let's take it even further than that. Let's team up to do JLA-Avengers the way it should have been done. nod

I picked up Disassembled at the time. After the reaction to the visceral violence had settled down, I just watched with mild horror (and not in a good way).

lol

There was an element of Ellis setting up his Authority team about it. The writer has a new team to put in place. He knows the main plot point to get there. But with the mind firmly on the things to come, and the setups needed for it, there's a casual disregard for anything else.

Yeppers. Couldn't have put it better myself (although I'd have been outright disparaging toward Ellis in general.) smile

With the regular, desperate chop and change with characters as writers appear and disappear in the blink of an eye, it's unfair on the characters. Writer A arrives and goes down the tired old trope of picking out characters for abuse (sorry character growth). Writer A lasts all of 6 months on the book, leaving Writer B with a broken character saddled with the luggage of Writer A's ham fisted smashing of whatever few things made them stand out.

Off the top of my head, I'd have a story start with someone realising that they'd *all* been brainwashed, had their family killed, betrayed the team and had little in the way of depth to their lives. That would lead to the growing suspicion that something, over the decades, was behind all of this. It would be a clearing the air for them all. Pick out the best bits of them and move on into a new set up with some mandates that Jean doesn't have to die, Wanda doesn't have to be evil, Hank doesn't always involve himself in domestic abuse and Susan doesn't have a thing for S&M gear. It's sad seeing reboots/ versions pick out the same points each time. Mind you, when DC tried this with Crisis, it was five minutes after Byrne's Supes relaunch that we had another Supergirl and Titano. In the end, there was nothing that couldn't have been done with the Pre Crisis Superman.

Fair enough, although I think a better, more expedient solution would be to simply forget continuity altogether, and hit the reset button every time the writer changes. shrug

Last edited by Ann Hebistand; 05/31/20 06:02 AM.

Fanfic Lady #987427 06/01/20 08:15 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Originally Posted by Ann Hebistand
I recall Thor being asked to apologise for his attitude to reporters (sorry, I think it was the Busiek/ Perez run), and him going off in a mega huff over it. It was a tiny intrusion of reality into their lives. If it had been in place from the start, Thor would have stropped off along with the Hulk after #1.

Thor actually did do that in What If v.1 issue 3, which is one of the best Avengers stories of all time, alternate timeline or not.

Is that the one where Stark accidentally drives everyone away because of his temper and then builds new Iron Man suits for Giant-Man, Wasp and Rick Jones? Yes it is a good one and one of my favourites too.
And having said *that,* I'd still recommend reading Walter Simonson's writer/artist run on Thor. He dealt with the Asgard/Earth dichotomy better than most creators.

Not always a fan of Simonson's art but I thought his work on Thor both as writer and artist was tremendous.
An interesting perspective that provides a lot of food for thought. Thanks for chiming in, Stile.

What bothers me, rather than disturbs me, about Wanda being the Disassembler is that it almost always seems to be a woman who loses control of the great power being wielded. I'm not saying it should always be a man instead, I'm saying there should be an equal ratio.

I agree that Wanda's breakdown could have made for a compelling story if executed right, but Bendis (and Loeb and Millar, who appear to have ghosted portions of the story) really messed up on the follow-through.

I haven't read the scene you describe at the end of your post, and now I'm curious about it. What's the exact series title and issue number?

Thanks Ann. I agree with you about the need for an equal ratio. I'm not remembering it being so one-sided but that could be a blind spot for me or perhaps from the periods when I haven't been reading. Could you briefly list some examples for me - just the names of the events or a few words so I can look them up.

On a side note it occurs to me that Pietro and Wanda being siblings and Pietro showing signs of instability himself along with betraying his friends and associates multiple times could fit with the tales of Wanda's struggles, either through some genetic fault (I have friends with mental illness that can be traced to exactly that) or through their shared traumas.

It took a bit of digging but I found the scene I mentioned. It was in Avengers Vs X-Men #0 in 2012, a bit earlier than I had thought and not exactly the way I had remembered but still powerful. So this is after the Children's Crusade where Doctor Doom is given the blame but before Cap recruits her for the mixed Avengers/X-Men team. Here are the relevant pages:

click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge click to enlarge
I really like Frank Cho's artwork here. I think it really captures the emotions and gravitas of the situation. Interestingly this was once again written by Bendis.

Wanda next appears in issue 6 when she suddenly turns up to rescue the Avengers from the Phoenix powered X-Men. After that she is a major player in the rest of the arc due to her power, but apart from a couple of lines from Vision showing his initial reluctance she seems to be just accepted into the group, maybe because they desperately need her but still it would have been good to see a bit more of the hesitation in trusting her.

Fanfic Lady #987497 06/03/20 06:50 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
It's hard for me to imagine Thor being the instigator behind an alternate Disassembled. Marvel's Thor is synonomous with selfless nobility. He's also an immortal and has seen so much trauma and upheaval over (apparent) millennia, that it's hard to see him manifest PTSD or whatever mental issues that might suddenly set a mortal hero off.

For Thor to work in the role for me, I think it would have to be Jason Aaron's "King" Thor from the far-off future. This version of Thor has truly lost everything, from what little I've seen of him. Maybe if he somehow felt stopping the Avengers at a certain point in their history would help him avoid such a lonely fate, then it would work for me?

Otherwise, a contemporary Thor going 'round the bend would be a hard sell for me. Maybe with years of groundwork before it actually happened? Very unlikely in the event-driven landscape of the modern Big Two.

Ann Hebistand #987499 06/03/20 07:42 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
HowEVer......

- Hawkeye? ?Well, he's been so unrecognizable since the first time that Bendis wrote him that he might as well be a villain now as far as I'm concerned (did I mention that I also hate Jeremy Renner's portrayal of him?) ?But Hawkeye turning evil and destroying his team from within lacks a certain grandeur that the Avengers final battle must have.

...I think maybe Hawkeye got short-shrift by Le Ficque.

While I concede the point that maybe Hawkeye being the culprit might lack "grandeur", I think it would make a very compelling story to tell. This is not only because he's been there almost from the beginning and has been a staple of Avengers line-ups with brief exceptions throughout its history, but there are other compelling reasons that are a part of the character's makeup.

One easy reason is because he's been played up for laughs a lot in recent years. His recent solo series have been endearing because he's such a lovable screw-up. He gets his ass beat on the regular while being kind of a regular joe. His being mistakenly called "Hawk Guy" a lot recently exemplifies this. On top of that, his protege Kate Bishop is looked upon by peers as an improvement over the original.

What goes with all of this is that he's just a guy with a bow and some trick arrows. At one point in his career, he had such a hang-up about his lack of power that he used Pym particles for a while to literally make himself larger than life. That's classic superhero overcompensating for one's insecurities. An inferiority complex can really balloon out of control if it's significant, and I think it could really be, especially based on my next point.

Hawkeye, if you read him from Stan Lee thru Steve Englehart especially, he's really emotionally unstable. Have any of you seen how he falls hard for women and is shattered when they don't return his machismo-fueled grand overtures? (Basically, "Hey! You're hot, and I'm awesome! Come get me!") He was all-in with Natasha in the early years, but boy, did she ever go out of her way to get away from him at every turn! (Yes, that was probably not the writers' intention, but one can easily see it that way thru a modern lens.) And his attempts to woo Wanda were just embarrassing! Any idiot could see she was smitten with Vision, and even Clint could--but it didn't stop him from making an ass of himself at every turn. In fact, he may have even left the team over her rejection when he finally got the message.

Underlying all of this is what I interpret as a potentially dangerous narcissism. I don't know how anyone can look at the body of Hawkeye's story and not come out seeing narcissism as a, if not THE, defining characteristic of Hawkeye. If you see it, you can't deny it. It's a slippery slope from narcissism to even deeper mental breaks that could make one dangerous.

Look, I honestly love Hawkeye, and part of why I love him is his considerable character flaws. I don't necessarily want him to make a heel turn, but a writer wouldn't have to dig to deeply to justify it. Yes, many latter writers have kind of smoothed over Clint's rough edges in certain ways, but his history is what it is. And it would be interesting to see how, arguably, the Avengers' weakest member might prove its most dangerous with his skills unleashed. It would certainly make for a challenging story if it were pursued.

Fanfic Lady #987515 06/04/20 01:53 AM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Paladin's argument prompted a thought. Quicksliver betrayed the team. Scarlet Witch betrayed them. Even Captain America (Hydra version) betrayed them. Hawkeye is the only member of the kooky quartet left.

Lard Lad #987529 06/04/20 05:30 AM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
Originally Posted by Paladin
It's hard for me to imagine Thor being the instigator behind an alternate Disassembled. Marvel's Thor is synonomous with selfless nobility. He's also an immortal and has seen so much trauma and upheaval over (apparent) millennia, that it's hard to see him manifest PTSD or whatever mental issues that might suddenly set a mortal hero off.

Thank you for the counterpoint, Lardy. You always provide something worth reflecting on.

I wouldn't call what I have in mind for Thor PTSD. More like finally losing patience with the stupidity of mortals and their inability, across millennia worth of generations, to learn from past mistakes. The smiling nobility could have been completely sincere at one time, but I think the 20th Century alone would have been more than enough to push any self-respecting god to the limit.

For Thor to work in the role for me, I think it would have to be Jason Aaron's "King" Thor from the far-off future. This version of Thor has truly lost everything, from what little I've seen of him. Maybe if he somehow felt stopping the Avengers at a certain point in their history would help him avoid such a lonely fate, then it would work for me?

I'm afraid I have even less familiarity with King Thor than you, so I can't really comment.

Otherwise, a contemporary Thor going 'round the bend would be a hard sell for me. Maybe with years of groundwork before it actually happened? Very unlikely in the event-driven landscape of the modern Big Two.

Hmmm. Point taken. That's one of the perils of a group of characters passed from one writer to the next.

Now, I think your thoughts about Hawkeye have *even more substance* than those about Thor!

Firstly, I appreciate that you conceded on the lack of grandeur. That's definitely a sticking point with me where the Avengers are concerned. I love the character-driven little "interlude" scenes as much as anyone, but whenever that "bittiness" becomes the main thrust of the book, it always feels to me like a throwback to the late 70s/early 80s Avengers -- Post-Korvac, Post-The Final Threat, Pre-Roger Stern; not my favorite Avengers era by any stretch.

Secondly, I think all your observations about the dark, narcissistic side of "Vintage Hawkeye" are perfectly valid. But for him to turn nasty, while not being out of left field, would be a heartbreaking thing for a lot of fangirls who have crushed on him at one time or another. Years ago, I briefly hung out in a fan fic writers' community where one of the female members did a series of GI Joe fics that took the hints of jealousy and possessiveness Flint had shown in the cartoon to their most unpleasant extreme. I gently voiced to her why I found this problematic, as Flint and Lady Jaye were my favorite GI Joe couple. She candidly admitted that she was using the characters to work out issues about her mother and stepfather. I thought that was fair enough, and I didn't pursue the argument any further after that, but it really did leave a scar in my psyche, as such things often do.

And having said all that, I don't think Hawkeye's been his lovable, funny, every-dude self for over 15 years, ever since the first time Bendis wrote him, in Disassembled, as an arrested, and permanently tumescent, adolescent. I know you gave the majority of Bendis's long Avengers run a hard pass, and I can't say I blame you because it was mostly awful (although the Siege event was good, and I think if Bendis had left *right then and there* his run might be better regarded in retrospect.) My point being, Bendis turned Hawkeye into an obnoxious, loud-mouthed, blood-thirsty, priapic jackass -- and the road from there to the Jeremy Renner MCU Hawkeye that I hate so much was a very short one. I don't even think the Matt Fraction Hawkeye series was all that. Yes, he wasn't as much of a jerk, but Fraction's tendency to fall back on tasteless pedo jokes took me out of the story to the point where I gave up after the first half-dozen issues. Clint, as far as I'm concerned, is "damaged goods."

Which brings me to Stile's point about Quicksliver, Scarlet Witch, and "Captain AmeriKKKa" -- Stile, if you want to consider Secret Empire canon, I'm not going to try to change your mind. But I hope you'll appreciate that even *without* my considering it canon, it has nonetheless PERMANENTLY damaged my view of Steve Rogers. IRREVERSIBLY. Even the recent Captain America: The End by Erik Larsen, which was a splendid reaffirmation of all that was best about the Pre-SE Steve, would have resonated a lot more had it been published *before* Secret Empire. Sorry, Steve fans, but these days, all I keep thinking about is how much I'd love to see the DCU's Uncle Sam beat the ____ out of Captain America.

On a more positive note, Stile, I'm grateful you took the time to find that 2012 Avengers story and post the relevant pages. That sequence is something of a lost gem, and I agree that Frank Cho did an excellent job on the art.

Ann Hebistand #987553 06/04/20 06:32 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Which brings me to Stile's point about Quicksliver, Scarlet Witch, and "Captain AmeriKKKa" -- Stile, if you want to consider Secret Empire canon, I'm not going to try to change your mind. But I hope you'll appreciate that even *without* my considering it canon, it has nonetheless PERMANENTLY damaged my view of Steve Rogers. IRREVERSIBLY. Even the recent Captain America: The End by Erik Larsen, which was a splendid reaffirmation of all that was best about the Pre-SE Steve, would have resonated a lot more had it been published *before* Secret Empire. Sorry, Steve fans, but these days, all I keep thinking about is how much I'd love to see the DCU's Uncle Sam beat the ____ out of Captain America.

On a more positive note, Stile, I'm grateful you took the time to find that 2012 Avengers story and post the relevant pages. That sequence is something of a lost gem, and I agree that Frank Cho did an excellent job on the art.

My thought was more a side observation than anything, just one of those things that pops in to your head. As for the Hydra story line, I thought it was interesting reading, entertaining in its own right but yes far too damaging to the "brand" in the long run. If it had been a "What if" I would have loved it, much as I have found DC's Injustice is a fascinating look at an alternative universe where Superman went down a very dark path but something they could never write in the main book. I have to admit that I haven't been keeping up with Cap much since even though he is a favourite and I am curious as to how they can pull him out. Yes I know the two Caps are separate characters but his reputation is shot. Part of the mystique of the character is how everyone can trust him, and that just isn't so simple any more. I'm not sure I would say the effect is irreversible but I have to admit I can't see a way out myself.

By the way I was serious about my request for you to tell me some of the times when female super-heroes have been shown as not being able to cope with their power. It's not that I doubt you. I suspect you are correct. I simply would like to have my memory jogged a bit if you could help.

Fanfic Lady #987581 06/05/20 11:02 AM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
Sorry, Stile. I could tell you were serious, but if I were to try and make such a list, I would get so angry and frustrated that I'd have trouble sleeping.

Best I can offer at the moment is this. It's about a villainess losing control rather than a heroine, but it's close enough for jazz:

https://legionworld.net/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=976887#Post976887

Oh, and if Cap's a favorite of yours, I definitely recommend the aforementioned "Captain America: The End."

Fanfic Lady #987617 06/05/20 07:36 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
Thanks Ann and yeah no point pursuing something if it's going to pull you down a negative road. There are subjects I avoid for the same reason. I just can't be calm about them and it affects how I view everything else.

I appreciate the link and will think about what you wrote but not discuss it any further at the moment.

Thanks for the recommendation. I will have to chase it up.

Fanfic Lady #988473 06/20/20 07:52 AM
Legionnaire!
Legionnaire!
I have been asked to give my opinion on the Avenger's "Siege Event." It has been a long time since I have read those stories so my memories are a bit vague. I remember liking the set-up from the "Thor" titles for having the Asgardians settle in Oklahoma, which makes sense because Thor in the real mythology is strongly tied to agriculture, of course he would want to be among farmers. I do not know if this is the first time the Asgardians have been on Marvel Earth, but it definitely was not the last. Comic book writers like the move fictional places and people around in order to get away from the status quo, but unfortunately corporate branding and nostalgia always forces a return to the status quo (which is normally rooted in the 1960s or 1980s, the Fantastic Four titles are the best example of this).

I feel like at the time it was published there was a push to get the characters that Marvel owned directly back into the center of the Avengers. There was a need to get Iron Man, Thor, and Captain America all back on the same page. They are considered the trinity of the Avengers, and unlike DC's Trinity, they don't go back home and let the B-listers clean up the mess. They each seem to really care about the team in their own way. Iron Man gives the Avengers a place to stay and a steady source of funding. Thor provides for the team spiritually, and I don't necessarily mean religion, he keeps a positive attitude and looks out for the internal well-being of his colleagues. Captain America looks out for the team's physical well-being and keeps everyone together.

I know this board likes to avoid politics, but Bendis, and indeed, most comic book writers in the early 2000s had something to say. Osborn and Loki create a scapegoat for a situation and use it as the moral basis to destroy an entire community. It probably is a direct parallel to real life events, such as the burning of the Reichstag. Bendis uses this event to blatantly show the evil behind Osborn; that he sees each person and each group he works with as a way to maintain power. Like similar people in real life, his choices (in his case literal alliances with demons such as Void) led to his destruction.

Go with the good and you'll be like them; go with the evil and you'll be worse than them.- Portuguese Proverb
Fanfic Lady #988483 06/20/20 10:17 AM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
Thanks, Emily.

I like Siege, and I think it's the best that Bendis's long Avengers run ever got. I would even opine that if Bendis had left right after Siege, his run would be better regarded in hindsight.

Your points on Bendis's socio-political themes are well taken. Even though he's not my favorite writer, I do give him credit for not muddling his views just so he can appeal across the spectrum (I am looking at thee, Mark Millar.)

Fanfic Lady #988698 06/23/20 02:18 PM
S
Set Offline
Long live the Legion!
Long live the Legion!
S
Thor turning against the team in a long-simmering fit of godly pique, could be interesting. At some climactic point, perhaps after striking Captain America down, Mjolnir could drop from his hand and sort of provide a heads-up to how far he's fallen...

Wanda being behind the whole thing was just super-annoying. We'd already had 'Darker than Scarlet.' If they wanted someone to depower all the mutants, the High Evolutionary had already attempted to do that before (and would again, later), and had the technology to do so. And her powers, in the Byrne years, were defined as retroactive. If she pointed at something and it suddenly failed because of stress fractures, the materials would be revealed to have had hidden stress fractures *all along.* So if she somehow was able to eliminate the X-gene from someone (which isn't really how her powers worked, but, whatev), they would *never* have been a mutant, and all those mutants who fell out of the sky, or drowned because they lost the ability to breathe underwater while deep sea diving, would never had died, because they never would have been high in the sky (without *an airplane* wrapped around them) or deep under the sea (without scuba gear!).

It was just a fine example of Bendis being a crap writer. He comes up with a story, and writes everyone out of character and with inconsistent powers to make it happen.

He wants Dr. Strange in his Avengers, but doesn't want them teleporting around? Bam, Strange, who has teleported entire teams across space and dimensions (all over the world, and even to another planet once!), and even crapped out a teleporting ring for Nighthawk so that he didn't get bugged for rides anymore, suddenly can't teleport anymore, because Bendis wants to have the team sit around talking in the Quinjet on the way to missions. He wants Luke Cage as his 'team powerhouse' in the Thor/Thing/She-Hulk slot, but Luke Cage is *half as strong as Tigra* and can only lift like 2 tons? Yeah, about that. 40 tons, minimum! And Tigra, who can lift 5 tons and has Spider-Man like reflexes? Can now be held down by a non-powered man, because, reasons.

Gah. My dislike for that man's writing is irrational.

Wrapped Around Your Finger now complete in BITS!
Fanfic Lady #988706 06/23/20 04:05 PM
Tempus Fugitive
Online Confused
Tempus Fugitive
I've always liked the idea that characters who have weapons who work for the powers of good, would keep using them as long as what *they* believed they were doing was right. Does the weapon sit on its shelf philosophising about moral subjectivity? Who taught it to think that way? If it's not the hero, is something else really in charge?

I liked what I read of the Byrne Scarlet story. Jumping ship around the time it was going on, I probably didn't think of the consequences of it. Completely agree on the No More Mutants. Other than the giant scorecard of them they couldn't do without. Partly because I've dipped in and out of the Avengers, I don't see the impact of the writing. But Bendis on Disassembled stood out as something particularly wrong. characters appear, self destruct or leave... Because! People die in silly uncharacteristic moments... Because! I wasn't keen on Bendis' Avengers. It wasn't the Avengers, so much as The Bendis Bunch, but with a name that would sell. It's not as noticeable in Powers, because they're his characters. I did quite like the few issues of Dark Avengers I read.

The mention of Tigra reminded me of this utterly dreadful story where she's attacked and beaten... because! Well, because misogyny I guess. really horrid stuff. The plot was written and she was the target regardless of skill, powers or basic common sense.

"...not having to believe in a thing to be interested in it and not having to explain a thing to appreciate the wonder of it."
Fanfic Lady #988864 06/27/20 06:18 AM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
Originally Posted by Set
Thor turning against the team in a long-simmering fit of godly pique, could be interesting. At some climactic point, perhaps after striking Captain America down, Mjolnir could drop from his hand and sort of provide a heads-up to how far he's fallen...

LIKE.

Completely agree on the No More Mutants. Other than the giant scorecard of them they couldn't do without.

ROTFLMAO lol

Fanfic Lady #990983 08/11/20 03:15 PM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
Jim Shooter's 2 cents on why the JLA Avengers crossover didn't happen in the 80s. I still take everything he says with a grain of salt, but...let's just say there are certain people at DC at the time whose legacies have become increasingly dubious to me:

Part One:

http://jimshooter.com/2011/07/secret-origin-and-gooey-death-of_21.html/

Part Two:

http://jimshooter.com/2011/07/secret-origin-and-gooey-death-of_22.html/

(FYI, I haven't read any of the comments, other than the one Shooter quotes in Part Two; I generally don't bother with comments anymore.)

Fanfic Lady #993840 10/30/20 03:31 AM
Independent Scholar
Independent Scholar
I've recently been rediscovering the Roger Stern/John Buscema/Tom Palmer Avengers in a major way. I love Stern's facility with dialogue and leisurely pace. And the art! I don't think any other veteran art team adapted better to Jim Shooter's demands for clarity and concision -- while still delivering powerful and attractive artwork -- than Buscema & Palmer.

Fanfic Lady #993872 10/30/20 06:33 PM
Wanderer
Wanderer
This is the era when I started seriously collecting and maybe it's nostalgia but this always feels to me the definitive portrayal of the Avengers. I tend to judge all other portrayals against this period.

Fanfic Lady #994002 11/02/20 11:07 PM
L
Time Trapper
Time Trapper
L
Stern got a Spider-Man Omnibus of his work on that character. A Stern Avengers Omnibus (or two) would be a natural--even the large chunk with the boring Al Milgrom art!

Page 78 of 80 1 2 76 77 78 79 80

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Forum Statistics
Forums14
Topics21,021
Posts1,045,257
Legionnaires1,729
Most Online53,886
Jan 7th, 2024
Newest Legionnaires
Mimi, max kord, Duke, CBSutherland2000, Arumidden
1,729 Registered Legionnaires
Today's Birthdays
Faraway Lad, Kid Charlemagne
Random Holo-Vids
Who's Who in the LMBP
Elvis Lad
Elvis Lad
Hollywood, Ca
ShanghallaLegion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.
The Legion World Star